PDA

View Full Version : CFL Head Office Staffing

carlos
03-24-2020, 12:04 PM
Hey all,

Hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected. Turning out to be a pretty sharp corner along the road of life.

Not sure where I saw it but was surprised to see the CFL as an organization stacked with senior vice presidents and the like. Seems like a big bureaucracy for a nine team league and a six month season.

Are these paid positions and necessary? Seems a bit strange but maybe not. What am I not seeing?

paulwoods13
03-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Without having any knowledge about what they do, I can't say whether the positions are necessary although I imagine few of them are lacking for work. But they absolutely are paid positions. I don't know of any unpaid VPs in for-profit organizations.

carlos
03-25-2020, 08:35 AM
Appreciate the comment. Followed up with a search and looks like 60+ head office people. Every one with a fancy title. Hmmmm.

paulwoods13
03-25-2020, 08:54 AM
Insinuating that the league doesn't need all of the employees it has, with no evidence except the number of employees, is offensive. If you have evidence that a position is not needed, please do share it.

Argo57
03-25-2020, 10:44 AM
Appreciate the comment. Followed up with a search and looks like 60+ head office people. Every one with a fancy title. Hmmmm.

Sounds like the “fancy title” part of the equation is what you are fixated on.
The CFL is a league that is keenly aware of all aspects of their finances and will run their business accordingly, perhaps better to concentrate on staying well during these times rather than speculating on the worth of other people’s employment.

carlos
03-25-2020, 10:33 PM
My apologies for the poor terminology in describing the list. Would have been best to say nothing.

If I wanted to be defensive, I could read insinuation of accusations of a "hiring of the brother in law mentality" in both of the replies to my comment and a defensive position taken that the CFL head office is properly staffed and doing a good job.

Not what I said. I said "hmmm". I was surprised by the number though. Makes me wonder if it had a similar org chart structure under Orridge and Cohen or if this is something new to Ambrosie.

Seems a moot point to debate the performance of the organization given the current situation but I would welcome a discussion related to their effectiveness as a group measured in terms of franchise values for one. Hard not to say they did anything other than to "get out" of the Montreal situation with a similar situation looming in Vancouver. I could see this league going broke if they don't get their TSN money.

I am also skeptical of the objectives of the global initiative and fail to see the reward to the league in it's pursuit. Running around Sweden and Japan and the like does make me think of sounding important and looking busy is the true goal. Far away places are good choices for that. Waiting for them to finally think of the Democratic Republic of the Congo as a good choice although it almost seems like they are avoiding Africa. I'll save the NFL conspiracy theory on that for now.

carlos
03-26-2020, 05:45 PM
Interesting point raised about the CFL as a private "for profit" corporation.

In my 50+ yrs of following the league I have never once thought of them that way, being brought up on the community owned, not for profit mantra they spin to young Bomber fans. Kind of assumed that the league was set up the same way. Shines a different light on things when it comes down to buyers and sellers and all they really want is to make the sale.

Part of the community owned football club concept is the idea of people pulling together and showing community spirit. The emotional attachment to that shared spirit being part of the reward of being a fan. It's a much easier sell and maybe part of the reason the community owned teams do well. We feel an obligation to do our part and support the team.

Trick will be to get future generations as involved as previous ones. We'll see.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8