PDA

View Full Version : I thought the FOA site was going to be finished?

1argoholic
12-15-2011, 12:18 PM
What's the point of having both sites? Seems like most still stay on that site.

argomANIA
12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
I believe it going to be taken down at the end of the year

1argoholic
12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
So I still have time to go out on a blue streaked glory post. hahaha.

Will
12-22-2011, 08:52 AM
It looks like it is finished.

So all you folks who haven't made the switch yet, come on over.

doubleblue
12-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Whew! I finally got transferred. Those letters and numbers are a challenge. It rejected me about 5 times and was about ready to give up.
I had thought I read on FOA that everyone there would be transferred over again to Argofan.
But I'm here I think.

marcwagz
12-22-2011, 03:34 PM
what a dumb idea and a pain in the behind
It makes no sense to force your entire forum into another forum...
It is going to lose a lot of posters especially for a site that doesn't have that many posters to begin with.

Skinny G
12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
It's ok if we want to move everything over, but there should probably be some sort of splash page or something telling everything that they should sign onto here. Or an automatic push to this site. Maybe even a message of some sort going to all members of that site by the administrators saying that they will be closing that site and to come to this one...

argotom
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
So what was the reason again the FOA site disappeared?

argolio
12-22-2011, 11:54 PM
So FOA has gone off to the great boat scrapyard in the sky.

R.I.P.

BATKINSON001
12-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Long live argofans.com then.

bluto
12-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Kevin Huntley was mad at the internet... websites everywhere just started crashing as a result.

Ron
12-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Let's see ... You? ;)

argotom
12-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Beauty!
Merry Christmas Ron.

Will
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
I believe that the reason for this was because the way that this season went resulted in some, shall we say, drama on the FOA board and it didn't exactly mesh with what the FOA wanted represented through that board. As a result, Mark was nice enough to re-start argofans.com and bring back that which should never have been eliminated in the first place.

marcwagz
12-23-2011, 01:04 PM
you mean the first time the site ever gets press it gets shut down?
weak
no press is bad press

1argoholic
12-23-2011, 02:32 PM
It was because of po'd folks like me calling coaches names like Eldildo and the like. We were supposed to be Friends Of The Argonauts. I have since agreed that I shouldn't post stuff like that but being friends means that everything in Argoland should be sugar sweet.

Well hopefully it will be sugar sweet next year.

I guess certain people who get involved with a site feel bad and sad for comments made and that the posters of those comments are scum suckers who can't really be true fans. I think the real fans only tweeter at this point. If you don't tweet your scum. By the way I'm not dork enough to tweet.

Argofan
12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Sorry about that I'm working on better letters coming soon…

Whew! I finally got transferred. Those letters and numbers are a challenge. It rejected me about 5 times and was about ready to give up.
I had thought I read on FOA that everyone there would be transferred over again to Argofan.
But I'm here I think.

Did send out an email and FOA has had it posted on the site for 3 months. Not sure why anyone would be shocked about this? :)

It's ok if we want to move everything over, but there should probably be some sort of splash page or something telling everything that they should sign onto here. Or an automatic push to this site. Maybe even a message of some sort going to all members of that site by the administrators saying that they will be closing that site and to come to this one...

Not the first time FOA or argofans.com got press. Should get the whole story before you call us weak :)

you mean the first time the site ever gets press it gets shut down?
weak
no press is bad press

paulwoods13
12-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Not the first time FOA or argofans.com got press. Should get the whole story before you call us weak :)

IIRC, the guy who called this move "weak" also complained about the Argos getting Ricky Ray. Maybe some people just can't be pleased?

Argofan
12-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Nope I guess not, maybe he will feel better after Christmas

IIRC, the guy who called this move "weak" also complained about the Argos getting Ricky Ray. Maybe some people just can't be pleased?

marcwagz
12-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Nope I guess not, maybe he will feel better after Christmas

I already celebrated Christmas.

And FYI, I was only upset about the Ricky Ray trade because I get super excited for draft day and trading first round picks bums me out, I knew all along to get him we'd have to give it up. The only saving grace is we didn't have to hand over Owens.

BTW, how on Earth can you think being forcibly moved from one forum board to another can possibly be a good thing? We are definately going to lose members. People know about the Friends of the Argonauts name, not the argos fans one.

We were low on member to begin with, and you (while the other guy more than you) acting like so smug does not help anything.

I'm just worried more then anything, this forum is the only place now that should have active discussion about the argos, the CFL forum hasn't even a drop of team discussion, I just hope this move doesn't kill the forum is all.

Argofan
12-24-2011, 07:06 AM
I stared argofans.com years ago and spent lots of my own money doing so. We moved to FOA on a trial and it didn't work out.
We are now back and moving forward. If this site fails it's not because of the move it will be because of the poster inside the site that will keep the fans away.

I already celebrated Christmas.

And FYI, I was only upset about the Ricky Ray trade because I get super excited for draft day and trading first round picks bums me out, I knew all along to get him we'd have to give it up. The only saving grace is we didn't have to hand over Owens.

BTW, how on Earth can you think being forcibly moved from one forum board to another can possibly be a good thing? We are definately going to lose members. People know about the Friends of the Argonauts name, not the argos fans one.

We were low on member to begin with, and you (while the other guy more than you) acting like so smug does not help anything.

I'm just worried more then anything, this forum is the only place now that should have active discussion about the argos, the CFL forum hasn't even a drop of team discussion, I just hope this move doesn't kill the forum is all.

Ron
12-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Beauty!
Merry Christmas Ron.

Merry Christmas Tom.

marcwagz
12-24-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't really get it, it doesn't seem the admins have much experience running boards... Heated discussion is generally common especially during a really bad season. expecting it all to be roses doesn't make sense so I doubt that's why it was moved
I'm sure it's a hassle for you or whatever but you can't expect it to be the same.
You should have just transferred board ownership to this site it just seems like a vB board anyways.

Argofan
12-24-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm almost getting a little tired of your comments… You have anything nice to say? I just don't think you get it??? FOA has a very close relationship with the Argonaut players and they want to keep it that way, Have you been to an FOA corn roast? I don't want the forum to be the same as before and since you doubt why I moved the forum I sure would like to hear why?

I don't really get it, it doesn't seem the admins have much experience running boards... Heated discussion is generally common especially during a really bad season. expecting it all to be roses doesn't make sense so I doubt that's why it was moved
I'm sure it's a hassle for you or whatever but you can't expect it to be the same.
You should have just transferred board ownership to this site it just seems like a vB board anyways.

AngeloV
12-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm almost getting a little tired of your comments… You have anything nice to say? I just don't think you get it??? FOA has a very close relationship with the Argonaut players and they want to keep it that way, Have you been to an FOA corn roast? I don't want the forum to be the same as before and since you doubt why I moved the forum I sure would like to hear why?

AF, you're right He Doesn't get it. I fail to see what the big problem coming back to this site is. When this site moved to FOA, I can't think of any regular members that didn't make the move over (except for maybe Iceman/Rocket..LOL) And as you said, this had been posted as a sticky over at FOA for quite some time.

marcwagz
12-24-2011, 12:06 PM

You shouldn't take something so little so seriously. Everyone is not going to agree with you everyday.

I don't know about the move, I think it's silly and I hope I'm wrong that the forum loses interest but it'll take a while to see. I'm not angry, I don't have any malice and your anger is misplaced completely.

FOA should have seen it coming if they wanted something like that or else they must have known nothing about internet forum tending at all. I don't live in Toronto.

And your elitist fan attitude isn't helping. The team needs new fans. Old fans are great and i respect them but the fact of the matter is you aren't the only people who like to talk about the argos.
I mean holy defensiveness batman.

I disagree with the move. I'm not blaming it on you, I don't know you the only reason I was on FOA was because I like the ARGONAUTS.

A forum is about discussion.
If a player is doing poorly I should be able to say he is doing poorly. I'm not going to do what that other guy did and call them old wash ups or whatever but if I want a player traded or waived that's what I want.

I mean have you seen the Ti-Cats forum because that sounds like it... You make a thread that is negative and they delete it and make it disappear, that's not even democracy.

I just want a place to discuss the team, FOA was great for this and it seems like a poor reason to close. I'm pretty sure we even left on good terms with Byron Parker who was being haggled by that guy.

The only real issue was whoever called Mike Hogan a racist and made him quit the site forever.

Anyway I hope this site works out. I mean I have to keep posting here because there literally is no where else to go.

Argofan
12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I took 2 things from your comments that I don't like. #1 was WEAK and the other was that I don't know what I'm doing. Should I just let you talk smack about me or should I reply? Not being holy defensiveness there Robin, just letting you know that I'm reading what your typing and I don't like it. Call it what ever you want , I'm not weak and I know what I'm doing.

You want to talk about how bad the Argo's played last year go ahead I don't have a problem with that. you want to talk about a player on how bad he played go ahead, Just don't call them out or call them something that you wouldn't do in front of them.

I'm 100% sure this site will continue to go on and if the members don't like what they see they will tell me about it. I will make the changes and if I don't I live with it.

Like I said before… I put my own money into this site and the advertising of the site, I'm not worried about fans coming to this site I'm more worried about the fans going to the game.

I have made t-shirts
I have made player cards
I have made buttons
I have made autograph books
All of this out of my pocket and 3 people that have donated to this site in the past.

Keep posting, talk about how bad or good the Argos play just don't come on my site and call me weak or say I don't know what I'm doing until you get the full story.

1argoholic
12-24-2011, 12:42 PM
You are doing killer work!!! That's all I can ad. These sites have become very important to me as I'm stuck way out west on this island. haha. I want to come home to Ontario.

marcwagz
12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
ok
sorry about that anyways
I didn't mean you were weak or lacking in knowledge just that I figure trolls and haters would come to basically any website so I couldn't see how that would cause it to close down.

and I'm saddened I lost all my posts that kinda sucks
Still I want the site to work and will drop the topic!

R.J
12-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I kind of understand marcwagz point to an extend, the argos forums don't have too many members and moving from site to site isn't going to help any. At the same time though IIRC the old argofans was hacked so the move was necessary and FOA did its job, now time to move on. I actually like coming back here as IMO this was always the "true" Argos fan forum. As for the whole negativity thing, I ranted about it once and a lot of hoopla came out of it, so I will avoid going into it in full but will say that, most people don't seem to know how forums work, and the FOA site was nowhere near as bad as riderfans.com get or even ourbombers.com and lets be honest both those teams have a lot larger fanbase and posters. Things get said, but nobody takes it personally. They all at least understand that a forum is a place to talk about the team good or bad, vent about the team if need be or talk about the good if it is good. At times I really don't understand the FOA forum or even this one, the team flat out sucked this year, a lot of people really disliked Miss Cleo (myself included), I had noticed that there was a lot more traffic this past season than the 2010 season, isn't that what you want on a forum, and I honestly doubt the negativity is going to make people not want to join, people read and post on what they want. The posters that choose not to post as much or move away from a forum because of negativity when times are bad, won't appreciate the forum when times are good, people are different, react differently when things go bad and even good.

Skinny G
12-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Did send out an email and FOA has had it posted on the site for 3 months. Not sure why anyone would be shocked about this? :)

Hey AF, was just a suggestion so if people somehow come across the old FOA site, they know where to go. I would love to see more people here. My gf is from Edmonton and is an Eskies, so I'm hoping to convert her and get her on the site, now that we brought in Ray.

Btw, AF I'd like to say thanks... and you're doing an awesome job! I'm super happy I found this place (and FOA). So keep up the great work!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8