PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft and Free Agent Signings Impact on Argo and Ither CFL Draft Selections

jerrym
04-26-2020, 02:02 AM
NFL draft selections and free agent signings of Canadian players will impact the CFL draft selection, but perhaps not as much as in previous years. If a CFL teams feels there is a good chance there is no 2020 season because of COVID-19, it might select a talented player taken in the NFL draft earlier because he might be available by this time next year.

So far the following NFL has drafted and/or signed

Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame: Pittsburgh Steelers, Round 2, Pick 49. ...
Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma: Dallas Cowboys, Round 3, Pick 82. ...
Carter O'Donnell, OL, University of Alberta: Indianapolis Colts. ... free agent
Rysen John, WR, Simon Fraser University: New York Giants free agent
Marc Antoine Dequoy, DB, University of Montreal, Green Bay Packers, free agent
Michael Hoecht, DT, Brown University, LA Rams, free agent

How do you think this will affect argo and other CFL draft picks?

Tobin Rote
04-27-2020, 12:51 AM
I saw a mock that predicted Argos taking O'Donnell with their first pick... but I doubt that they would do that now.

Jon Gonzo
04-27-2020, 09:50 AM
If history has anything to do with it, both Claypool and Gallimore will sink like stones in the CFL Draft.

When Christian Covington was drafted in the 6th Round of the NFL Draft, and then signed, he was picked with the 43rd pick in the CFL by BC in 2015.

So, one would think, that Claypool and Gallimore will be no higher than 7 or 8th round picks.

However, teams like the Argos have taken a chance un-drafted signees like Ryan Hunter, and he was picked late in the 1st Round in 2018.

Same goes for players like Tevaun Smith (8th overall/ 2016), Geoff Gray (8th overall).

So O'Donnell, with his commitment and signing bonus from the Colts, will likely drop down into Eli Ankou, Justin Senior and Anthony Auclair territory, which would make him a 3rd - 4th rounder.

The others, depending on what teams think of them, would, like Hunter still have an outside shot at 1st Round selections.

I believe Micheal Hoecht will go late in the 1st.

Dequoy and Rysen John likely drop to 2nd/3rd round picks

Jon Gonzo
04-27-2020, 10:01 AM
If history has anything to do with it, both Claypool and Gallimore will sink like stones in the CFL Draft.

When Christian Covington was drafted in the 6th Round of the NFL Draft, and then signed, he was picked with the 43rd pick in the CFL by BC in 2015.

So, one would think, that Claypool and Gallimore will be no higher than 7 or 8th round picks.

However, teams like the Argos have taken a chance un-drafted signees like Ryan Hunter, and he was picked late in the 1st Round in 2018.

Same goes for players like Tevaun Smith (8th overall/ 2016), Geoff Gray (8th overall).

So O'Donnell, with his commitment and signing bonus from the Colts, will likely drop down into Eli Ankou, Justin Senior and Anthony Auclair territory, which would make him a 3rd - 4th rounder.

The others, depending on what teams think of them, would, like Hunter still have an outside shot at 1st Round selections.

I believe Micheal Hoecht will go late in the 1st.

Dequoy and Rysen John likely drop to 2nd/3rd round picks

OV Argo
04-27-2020, 10:21 PM
I'd stay away from any NFL interest guys with early picks; cause there are other good prospects at those positions.

Claypool & Gallimore were write-offs to begin with.

Dequoy is IMO hands down the most talented DB prospect, but there's still a few other good DBs; and O'Donnell & Hoecht are hardly hands down best prospects at their positions (O-line & DT) = so look to other top prospects at those positions; Rysen John may have drawn NFL interest with his intriguing 6-7 frame for a receiver, but there are several other very good receiver prospects to look too. No need to get burned this draft by drafting an NFL interest guy, especially with an early pick IMO. Take a flyer on Dequoy or O'Donnell in much later rounds (5 on) if they are still there.

Shatto
04-27-2020, 11:23 PM
The team should concentrate on players who they could likely sign. As OV has suggested, it would be wise to stay away from any of the players who have signed with an NFL team. The one player who might be an exception is Dequoy, as he is 26 in September and will have to really impress in his NFL training camp, since he is a little old to be a future prospect player. Might be worth a gamble at #28 in round three, though if they are going for a gamble at this spot I'd personally prefer a gamble on Pinto (assuming he is available)

paulwoods13
04-28-2020, 08:20 AM
As I wrote before, I'd be fine with grabbing Dequoy or Hoecht as early as Round 2. This is an unusual year and there is no guarantee there will even be NFL camps, much less a season. If no football is played this year, the guys who signed as UFAs will be in tough to make it when football comes back because there will be another draft class in their way in 2021. And since a CFL season seems increasingly unlikely, "guys we can sign" are not as valuable as they usually are. We have vastly improved our NAT depth, so I don't see any downside in being aggressive on the guys who are trying to make it down south. (Except for the two draftees.)

AngeloV
04-28-2020, 10:46 AM
As I wrote before, I'd be fine with grabbing Dequoy or Hoecht as early as Round 2. This is an unusual year and there is no guarantee there will even be NFL camps, much less a season. If no football is played this year, the guys who signed as UFAs will be in tough to make it when football comes back because there will be another draft class in their way in 2021. And since a CFL season seems increasingly unlikely, "guys we can sign" are not as valuable as they usually are. We have vastly improved our NAT depth, so I don't see any downside in being aggressive on the guys who are trying to make it down south. (Except for the two draftees.)

I agree with all of this, but the question is, what if there is no season? It's no guarantee that the improved National depth (or any other players) may still be Argo property when football returns. I would draft any players other than Claypool and Gallimore, provided the team feels they are the best prospects early.

paulwoods13
04-28-2020, 11:22 AM
I agree with all of this, but the question is, what if there is no season? It's no guarantee that the improved National depth (or any other players) may still be Argo property when football returns. I would draft any players other than Claypool and Gallimore, provided the team feels they are the best prospects early.

I agree with drafting the best player on the board (except C and G), at least after our first two picks are made. Some of the FA NATs we obtained recently signed for more than one year, so even if this year is burned on contracts we won't be starting from zero. And if there is a massive pile of free agents heading into 2021, we should have as much of a shot at signing them as any other team does. Presumably the guys who signed with us wanted to be here, and I would think many if not most of them would also want to reup in 2021 if 2020 is written off. Most of them are local guys, which helps.

jerrym
04-29-2020, 06:42 PM
Here's a look at the Argo drafting strategy:

“It’s a deep draft where there are potential future starters and potential impact players in multiple positions all over the field,” said Argos’ Director of Canadian Scouting, Vince Magri. “That’s one of the really exciting things about going into this draft. With a bunch of picks in the top 20, there are so many good football players here that we’re in a position to make our roster a lot stronger.”

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, teams have had to adapt their evaluation process for the draft with the scouting combine cancelled and homes becoming temporary offices. This has allowed them to conduct team meetings to go over draft strategy and virtual interviews with prospects....

Magri said not having a combine isn’t ideal but it hasn’t thrown as big of a wrench into the Argos’ draft process. They will just continue to work with all the information they have gathered from scouting trips and the countless hours of film they have at their disposal. “The biggest thing is just not having verified testing numbers, medicals and in-person interviews. That’s what we’re missing,” explained Magri. “But by using the phone or using Zoom, there’s ways we can kind of fill those gaps and complete the picture on these prospects.”

Players have also held virtual workouts and testing for teams showing that they are staying in shape, which is important especially during this time. It also allows any prospect who might have had an injury to give teams a sense on where they are in their recovery process. ...

For the Argos, they understand how important it is to try and find players that can come in and compete right away. Especially considering that has been the recipe for success for the teams that have been able to compete on a consistent basis.

Where the team is looking to capitalize on their work is flexibility in terms of who they can select in the early part of the draft, including their territorial pick at the end of the second round. “While we don’t want to be picking in this territory round anymore, because it implies that we finished in the bottom two, there are a lot of high-quality local football players at our disposal at that pick,” said Magri. “Luckily, we’re at a point where we don’t have to reach for somebody that might not necessarily be worthy of being taken that high.”

The Argos have conducted their own mock drafts to prepare for any potential hiccups that could occur on Thursday and considering how successful the NFL was able to conduct their draft, there aren’t many concerns about the process of making a pick.

“Our staff will be videoed into each other and someone will be on a conference call with the league,” said Magri. “So really, it’s not much different than the way it’s always been since everyone is usually in a war room. The only difference, really, is that our war room is going to be a Zoom room but the way we communicate with teams and the league will be the same as usual.”
https://3downnation.com/2020/04/29/2020-cfl-draft-examination-toronto-argonauts/

Rich
04-30-2020, 03:57 AM
I guess we'll find out if TJ Jones is coming or not. If it looks like he's not going to happen, I think we will draft Brissett at 2. Murphy thinks NAT WRs can be ratio breakers, and I'm with him on that. Brissett looks like a great talent who would come a ton cheaper than Jones. Also, his brother being on the Raptors could end up helping the Argos image-wise in a lot of ways.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 08:06 PM
I always excited by the CFL draft ending the six month football famine but to think that this could be the high point of the season makes this bittersweet.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 08:10 PM
BC switches with Calgary for the #1 pick and #15 for #3 and #12.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 08:23 PM
Argos go local with WR Dejon Brisset, a talented player, but I'm surprised they didn't go for a OL. Below is an interview with Brisset:

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/04/29/path-to-glory-dejon-brissett/

Argo57
04-30-2020, 08:24 PM
Argos go local with WR Dejon Brisset, a talented player, but I'm surprised they didn't go for a OL.

Argos very strong at Canadian receiver, probably go O-Line with pick#9.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 08:38 PM
With Edmonton taking Tomas Jack-Kurdyla at #4 the Argos lose the possibility of taking one the top ranked OL in readiness for play, along with Carter O'Donnell who signed with the NFL's Colts.

OV Argo
04-30-2020, 09:09 PM
Theren Churchill ? - a bit of an off the ratings pick maybe - but hope he pans out for the O-line.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 09:12 PM
Theren Churchill ? - a bit of an off the ratings pick maybe - but hope he pans out for the O-line.

I agree but he is big and has a reputation for being nasty on a team with had a good OL.

doubleblue
04-30-2020, 09:13 PM

That's the first What? Who? of the draft. I guess Murphy would have seen him play when Murph was with the Riders. Probably go home in a couple of years. lol

ArgoGabe22
04-30-2020, 09:18 PM
Maybe the Argos have given up on the TJ Jones situation. Or still have hope and want a solid backup to learn behind him.

doubleblue
04-30-2020, 09:22 PM
Jack Cassar, closest thing to Mike O'Shea maybe.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 09:23 PM
LB Jack Cassar goes as the #11 pick, who was ranked at #19 by the CFL so the Argos once go outside the coventional choice and also don't take another OL, although he is considered a future possible starter.

dmont
04-30-2020, 09:24 PM
I'm no john murphy, but I'm pretty disappointed so far. Why do we need another canadian receiver? I have a feeling the marketing department made this pick, trying to cash in on the relationship with his brother on the Raptors.

I dont know if we were hurting for a Canadian linebacker either.

I thought they should have grabbed three o-lineman with those top three picks.

OV Argo
04-30-2020, 09:31 PM
Jack Cassar ? - joins Ackie, Shorthill, Kwemo, Onyeka (plus Lokombo is a natural LB); Kwemo & Cassar are natural big MLB types; how many Canadian LBs can they carry and could 2 start (very doubtful IMO) ?

OV Argo
04-30-2020, 09:38 PM
Esks use 13th overall to select Alain Pae (GGs ?) - never heard of him, but maybe he is a star in the making; can always count of the CFL draft for some outright whacky-ness -way to go Sunderland !

dmont
04-30-2020, 09:55 PM
Can we take Legghio with our next pick? Is he from around the GTA???

Come on, let Legghio drop to us!!!

argolio
04-30-2020, 09:56 PM
After #2, I was hoping Adeyemi-Berglund would last until #9. Naturally he was the very next pick.

At least the Ticats didn't get him.

doubleblue
04-30-2020, 09:56 PM
Jack Cassar ? - joins Ackie, Shorthill, Kwemo, Onyeka (plus Lokombo is a natural LB); Kwemo & Cassar are natural big MLB types; how many Canadian LBs can they carry and could 2 start (very doubtful IMO) ?

Maybe they rate him better than some of those guys you listed. I like him. Special teams first and go from there.

dmont
04-30-2020, 09:58 PM
Can we take Legghio with our next pick? Is he from around the GTA???

Come on, let Legghio drop to us!!!

He's from Dude-a-bridgia :) !!!!! I hope they get him!

dmont
04-30-2020, 10:07 PM
He's from Dude-a-bridgia :) !!!!! I hope they get him!

Damn, no luck. Went DL instead. Too bad, a kicker named Leigghio. The nickname writes itself.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 10:17 PM
DT Sam Acheampong is another choice that I have mixed feelings about. He was 3down's #14 pick so he ranked higher than his pick position but I agree that picking Legghio, who has the potential to be a top kicker, would have been my preference.

argolio
04-30-2020, 10:17 PM
Impressed with Acheampong's highlight package. Looks to have some good and very quick pass rush moves.

Argo57
04-30-2020, 10:19 PM
Argos go O-Line again, Dylan Giffen (Western)

argolio
04-30-2020, 10:22 PM
Western OL Dylan Giffen at #28, 6'8" 346!

O-linemen that tall are usually boom-or-bust. We deserve a boom.

Bleeds Double Blue
04-30-2020, 10:24 PM
CFL.CA lists Giffen at 6'8" 346 lbs. A big boy on the O-line.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 10:31 PM
At 6'8", 320 lb OL Dylan Giffen has size and was ranked #16 by the CFL Scouting Bureau, with only Ketel Asse ranked higher among OL not yet taken, so I get why he was taken at this point but I wish the Argos had gone for OL Tomas Jack-Kurdyla when they had the chance at #2.

argolio
04-30-2020, 10:40 PM
Winnipeg gets Nevada WR Brendan O'Leary-Orange, Doyle Orange's kid, with the last pick of the 4th round.

OV Argo
04-30-2020, 10:45 PM
Argos draft a Canadian RB - Dion Pellerin - big power back with good college ball rushing stats - but likely GOB viewed as a fullback ? - gotta have depth at such a much used position behind Cross & Cibasu. ;o)

Jon Gonzo
04-30-2020, 10:50 PM
I too would have prefered them to go for Jack Kurdyla at #2, but I think the Argos may have liked Theren Churchill as much (or close) and feared that the Ti-Cats would grab Bissett. Stratedy. The figured they wanted Brissett, and would be happy with Churchill as their OL pick. I know NOTHING of Churchill, but so far the Argos are getting value picks; guys getting picked later than projected.

I would like to see Magri improve his hit/to miss ratio moving forward. He's been okay, but other teams have been consistently better.

Dylan Giffen will be an interesting project. We'll see if he's got the foot speed for the pro's.

Jon Gonzo
04-30-2020, 10:52 PM
I am not sure you can be a FB without GOB accredidation (;

REAL
04-30-2020, 10:53 PM
Argos draft a Canadian RB - Dion Pellerin - big power back with good college ball rushing stats - but likely GOB viewed as a fullback ? - gotta have depth at such a much used position behind Cross & Cibasu. ;o)

gotta agree but who knows what is up !

OV Argo
04-30-2020, 10:55 PM
I too would have prefered them to go for Jack Kurdyla at #2, but I think the Argos may have liked Theren Churchill as much (or close) and feared that the Ti-Cats would grab Bissett. Stratedy. The figured they wanted Brissett, and would be happy with Churchill as their OL pick. I know NOTHING of Churchill, but so far the Argos are getting value picks; guys getting picked later than projected.

I would like to see Magri improve his hit/to miss ratio moving forward. He's been okay, but other teams have been consistently better.

Dylan Giffen will be an interesting project. We'll see if he's got the foot speed for the pro's.

Giffen & Churchill join a lot of other NI O-line project/prospects the Argos already have ? - good to have lots of competition and good ole "depth" i guess.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 10:57 PM
Pellerin has some speed and can make cuts so he may end up doing more than the average big Canadian fullback, but I expect his role will be limited as per usual at this position.

argolio
04-30-2020, 11:12 PM
Saskatchewan WR Samuel Baker is our final pick. I expect him and Pellerin will start their pro careers on special teams.

jerrym
04-30-2020, 11:17 PM
WR Sam Baker was limited in production by injuries at Saskatchewan University, so if he can stay healthy he might do better than expected for a #48 pick.

OV Argo
04-30-2020, 11:19 PM
Another interesting pick; Baker did way less stats wise than some other receivers on the board - like Bockru (Manitoba) & B. Hall (Laurier); and last year's draft pick Phil Iloki (Carleton) did way more in college ball too; not sure how another Canadian receiver to join an already crowded group makes much sense - but maybe they plan to start 4 NI receivers ;o)

Shatto
05-01-2020, 12:06 AM
My take on picks:
.Brissett-huge potential but has done little in last two years. Injury prone? A bit of gamble --does this mean TJ Jones isn't coming to team?
.Churchill-team must have seen something in him others didn't. They probably could have waited and picked him up in a later round.
.Cassar-excellent addition for special teams. Potential to be starter but not for a year or two
.Achaempong-very athletic DL player with a huge upside. Could be their best pick in the long run
.Dylan -most had him as a much higher pick. Great size but still raw. Will be good competition for the other OL players.
.Pellerin-like this pick. Versatile --size of a FB but runs like a HB. Could see him beating out Cibasu as back up to Cross
.Baker-a bit of a long shot to make the team as a receiver

Like some others, I would have preferred picking Jack-Kurdyla at the #2 spot. A big surprise was Asse dropping to round eight. He was a two-time All-Canadian and some saw him going in first round--wonder what happened?

OV Argo
05-01-2020, 12:17 AM
My take on picks:
.Brissett-huge potential but has done little in last two years. Injury prone? A bit of gamble --does this mean TJ Jones isn't coming to team?
.Churchill-team must have seen something in him others didn't. They probably could have waited and picked him up in a later round.
.Cassar-excellent addition for special teams. Potential to be starter but not for a year or two
.Achaempong-very athletic DL player with a huge upside. Could be their best pick in the long run
.Dylan -most had him as a much higher pick. Great size but still raw. Will be good competition for the other OL players.
.Pellerin-like this pick. Versatile --size of a FB but runs like a HB. Could see him beating out Cibasu as back up to Cross
.Baker-a bit of a long shot to make the team as a receiver

Like some others, I would have preferred picking Jack-Kurdyla at the #2 spot. A big surprise was Asse dropping to round eight. He was a two-time All-Canadian and some saw him going in first round--wonder what happened?

IMO - CFL "scouts" sometimes come to a consensus to write-off seeming top draft prospects; this draft, Asse joins DT S-Spaulding (Metras Trophy winner & Q D player of the year), kicker Liegghio; DE Dehilly as guys who got drafted much later and when some little to nothing on their football resumes guys get drafted earlier (draft finesse stupidity when you use a fairly early pick on a player that probably no other CFL team had much interest in) = typical CFL draft; all-star receivers Bockru (Manitoba) & B.Hall (Laurier) not drafted at all ? Same deal for Laval all-Canadian C Sam Lefebvre (but maybe some of these guys told CFL GM they had no interest in turning pro?) And former CFL Scouting Bureau top 20 prospect - QB Adam Sinagra (Hec Creighton & Vanier winning QB) goes totally undrafted - boy, what a shocker. Same old, GOBs. ;o)

Shatto
05-01-2020, 12:31 AM
Whoops---brain fart --meant to say Giffen not Dylan.

BTW -agree with OV Argo comments above, especially Sinagra not getting drafted.

dmont
05-01-2020, 01:41 AM
Overall, a disappointing night.

I can't shake this feeling that marketing/MLSE/Manning had something to do with the Brisset pick. We have a full stable of good NI receivers. We have precious few O-line prospects. Brisset hasn't done much in two years. This was a disappointing pick.

Maybe I'm just glad that we selected at least one o-lineman with our top 3 picks, but I'm ok with the Churchil pick. Never had a combine with 1 on 1s, so who knows who the best will end up being.

I'm nervous about the Giffen pick. Hes a mustang, which I'm all about, but these really big Olineman never seem to pan out for us. I'm thinking Mason Woods, Joel Reinders, and that Ivy league kid a few years ago who was supposedly going to the NFL, but he signed with us and never did anything. Best of luck, Giffen, prove me wrong!

I wish they had picked up a kicker. Maybe they gambled that the two kickers would fall lower, but they were taken right before one of our late round picks.

And then we take another receiver because... why not right? I would have preferred best available o lineman.

Based on feeling alone, I'm predicting Brisset is a bust.

Rich
05-04-2020, 01:38 AM
We have a full stable of good NI receivers. We have precious few O-line prospects.

Not so sure about this. We had four good NI WRs: Brescasin, Adjei, Gittens and Noel. Great group, but not enough quality depth if we're planning to start three or even two. Brissett changes that scene bigtime.

As for the O-line, we drafted three guys last year who all showed some promise, and so after this draft we now have five good O-Line prospects who have a chance to step in and deliver. How many more prospects do we need there?

Last year's draft still may turn out to be one of the best Argo drafts ever, and call me crazy, but i think this year's crop may turn out to be as good or maybe even better. I see three long-time Argos emerging from this bunch: Brissett, Cassar, and one of Churchill, Acheambong or Giffen.

Love that kid Cassar. A leader, a fierce competitor, a "tackling machine", and a great build for a natural Mike. I can see him starting by 2021, perhaps leading an all-canadian LB corps?

Also loved the Pellerin pick. Looks like Dinwiddie is putting those H-Back screens back into the playbook after that schmuck Chapdelaine took em out last year. Declan Cross should have been relieved to see this one.

Incidentally, I don't understand why people are complaining we didn't draft a kicker when we have one of the best kickers in the league on our roster right now.

Wobbler
05-04-2020, 02:29 AM
Who knows, but I agree with most of that, Rich.

dmont
05-04-2020, 02:34 AM
Not so sure about this. We had four good NI WRs: Brescasin, Adjei, Gittens and Noel. Great group, but not enough quality depth if we're planning to start three or even two. Brissett changes that scene bigtime.

As for the O-line, we drafted three guys last year who all showed some promise, and so after this draft we now have five good O-Line prospects who have a chance to step in and deliver. How many more prospects do we need there?

Last year's draft still may turn out to be one of the best Argo drafts ever, and call me crazy, but i think this year's crop may turn out to be as good or maybe even better. I see three long-time Argos emerging from this bunch: Brissett, Cassar, and one of Churchill, Acheambong or Giffen.

Love that kid Cassar. A leader, a fierce competitor, a "tackling machine", and a great build for a natural Mike. I can see him starting by 2021, perhaps leading an all-canadian LB corps?

Also loved the Pellerin pick. Looks like Dinwiddie is putting those H-Back screens back into the playbook after that schmuck Chapdelaine took em out last year. Declan Cross should have been relieved to see this one.

Incidentally, I don't understand why people are complaining we didn't draft a kicker when we have one of the best kickers in the league on our roster right now.

I'm not super enthusiastic with this idea of starting three Canadian receivers. Its unorthodox and seems unnecessary given the abundance of American receivers. I like Noel, but he's been inconsistent. Gittens Jr is untested. When it comes to the way CFL teams usually platoon Canadian receivers, I think we're good the way we are. Not a lot of teams are in a better position.

Besides our three starters in Campbell, Blake, and Bladuk, we have Shane Richard's (injury trouble and inconsistent), Maurice Simba (untested and possible huge-man curse) and Starczala, also untested. I think its risky to rely on these three being the future of the Oline. I loved Churchils highlights and I like that pick, but a blue chip Olineman like Kurdyala (sp?) would have given us lots of certainty there. I think Giffen a good pick for where they got him, but I worry about huge-man curse. I'd swap Brisset for Kurdyala any day.

OV Argo
05-04-2020, 08:57 AM

No way in hell 3 NI receivers start (IMO - buy maybe an outside chance if TJ Jones was signed ?); and if that's true, no way in hell they carry all of Brescasin, Adjei, Noel, Gittens, plus Brissett (or Cibasu who is a natural, accomplished receiver, this the new staff might grasp) on the same game roster; maybe Brissett has the talent to beat out any of that group for a starter job though, and, I guess they could stash one or two Canadian receivers on the IR or PR for good ole depth. They also have Phil Iloki from last year's draft (not sure he will be signed for TC?), plus they drafted another receiver this crop in Baker. Not sure why you need so many NI receiver prospects, unless you were planning on starting at least 4.

You're referring to Bede as one of the best kickers in the league? - strongest kick-off distance leg for sure; pretty solid punter, but doesn't exactly lead the league in average; and while his FG kicking was very good last year, it has been very shaky to poor in the past, with all kinds of blown, bad kicks of makeable FGs. Having him as your one & only / dual kicker on the roster is a mistake IMO. Liegghio is one of the best dual kicker prospects in decades maybe - the Argos should have grabbed him when he was still available in the mid rounds - and that he fell that far in the draft is a joke IMO (mind you the GOBs didn't draft Rene Paredes or Lewis Ward at all either (i believe the 2 most career accurate FG kickers in CFL history), so the knowledge of or respect for kicking talent is a bit weak maybe)

doubleblue
05-04-2020, 09:24 AM
Murphy mentioned that Baker can long snap some. Always need a back up. They did last year, but Spaziani has retrired.

Argo57
05-04-2020, 07:32 PM
Overall, a disappointing night.

I can't shake this feeling that marketing/MLSE/Manning had something to do with the Brisset pick. We have a full stable of good NI receivers. We have precious few O-line prospects. Brisset hasn't done much in two years. This was a disappointing pick.

Maybe I'm just glad that we selected at least one o-lineman with our top 3 picks, but I'm ok with the Churchil pick. Never had a combine with 1 on 1s, so who knows who the best will end up being.

I'm nervous about the Giffen pick. Hes a mustang, which I'm all about, but these really big Olineman never seem to pan out for us. I'm thinking Mason Woods, Joel Reinders, and that Ivy league kid a few years ago who was supposedly going to the NFL, but he signed with us and never did anything. Best of luck, Giffen, prove me wrong!

I wish they had picked up a kicker. Maybe they gambled that the two kickers would fall lower, but they were taken right before one of our late round picks.

And then we take another receiver because... why not right? I would have preferred best available o lineman.

Based on feeling alone, I'm predicting Brisset is a bust.

Just wondering, have you seen Brissett play?
Strange to write a guy off before he has even played a game.

jerrym
05-04-2020, 07:44 PM

I posted in the Draft Predictions thread that John Hufnagel said in a video interview at the Calgary Stampeder website that he originally was considering Brissett #1 overall and had talks with the Argos about trading positions to allow him to get in a trade before deciding to go with DE Adeyemi-Berglund after a trade with BC. So one of the most successful drafters in recent CFL history certainly highly rated Brissett, suggesting that he might be better than many of us initally thought, including myself.

dmont
05-05-2020, 12:05 AM

I've seen his highlights.

As I said, it's entirely based on feeling. It comes mostly from a combination of 1) thinking we needed a blue chip o-lineman way more than another NI receiver, 2) the connection with his brother on the Raptors raising suspicions that marketing was a factor in the move. The last time marketing mixed with player personnel, we had "Deestroying" on the roster.

I hope my feeling is wrong and he becomes an all star, but at this moment, I would be happier with Jack-Kurdyla than with Brisset.

Rich
05-05-2020, 02:20 AM
I'm not super enthusiastic with this idea of starting three Canadian receivers. Its unorthodox and seems unnecessary given the abundance of American receivers. I like Noel, but he's been inconsistent. Gittens Jr is untested. When it comes to the way CFL teams usually platoon Canadian receivers, I think we're good the way we are. Not a lot of teams are in a better position.

Teams platoon Canadian receivers the way they do when the players aren't good enough to start. God knows the Argonauts have recently spent high picks on receivers like Cibasu and Brian Jones who turned out that way.

But that doesn't mean Canadians can't start and succeed at receiver. And if you had three of them, it could give you a big ratio flexibility advantage over the other "orthodox" teams.

I agree with you about Noel, but I think Gittens and Brissett, although unproven, are miles ahead of Cibasu and Jones in terms of talent and ability. I just don't think it would be easy to bring in three new American receivers who would give us more than Brescasin, Adjei and Brissett/Gittens could.

paulwoods13
05-05-2020, 08:24 AM
This whole discussion feels weird since I don't foresee any games being played this season, but if and when we do field a team I think there is a very strong likelihood we will start three INTs on the o-line, and three NATs at receiver. The NAT receivers will likely be Adjei, Brescacin and Jones. If Jones does not end up signed, the plan will probably change altho it's not inconceivable Brissett could win a starting spot. I think Campbell and Blake are the two NATs destined to start on the o-line. It would be fabulous if Simba or Richards won a spot, but it's not essential. I don't see Bladek being anything more than a spot starter/reliable backup. Even if we start only two NATs on the o-line and two at receiver, we have enough potential starting NATs on defence to be fine.

AngeloV
05-05-2020, 10:24 AM
This whole discussion feels weird since I don't foresee any games being played this season, but if and when we do field a team I think there is a very strong likelihood we will start three INTs on the o-line, and three NATs at receiver. The NAT receivers will likely be Adjei, Brescacin and Jones. If Jones does not end up signed, the plan will probably change altho it's not inconceivable Brissett could win a starting spot. I think Campbell and Blake are the two NATs destined to start on the o-line. It would be fabulous if Simba or Richards won a spot, but it's not essential. I don't see Bladek being anything more than a spot starter/reliable backup. Even if we start only two NATs on the o-line and two at receiver, we have enough potential starting NATs on defence to be fine.

If there is a season and this roster is what we expect, I see the Argos starting a minimum of 8 Nationals, maybe 9. That will give them some great fexibility. I also don't think they will go with 3 imports on the line. Maybe 1 at guard and 1 at LT.

Shatto
05-05-2020, 11:45 AM
I have to agree with Angelo, that the Argos would probably prefer to go with 3 Nationals and 2 Imports on the OL, unless they believe they don't have the talent to go with 3 Nationals.

We may not have any CFL football this year but at least it is entertaining discussing what the team would look like if they did play. Cheers everyone.

OV Argo
05-05-2020, 01:05 PM
Wondering who those 3 superstar import O-Linemen are who would win starting jobs in real TC competition ?

As far as receivers and which or how many NIs - might depend on the style of passing game / offence they want to run; if they want mostly speed at the position, Brissett is supposed to be fast, Gittens has some speed; Adjei & Noel decent speed too; if they want to go with just 40 times, they might find 3 or 4 faster import receivers. Rather see a diverse offence with a mix of speed, plus some receivers with size, route running smarts, hands, toughness. Brescacin, Noel and even Cibasu (or a big-body import receiver) could fill roles as big targets (Cibasu had zero CFL playing time at receiver to be judged by; just like another big target Brian Jones never got much regular playing time; interesting or amusing how Brad Sinopoli became one of the best receivers in the league by being a big, sure-handed target, real smart receiver = zero to do with speed, yet a lot of CFL teams don't deploy that kind of skill-set receiver now ?) - a smart passing game gets the value of big, tough, great hands receivers (Elgaard, Pitts, Tony Gabriel, Rocky Dipietro); a big body slotback can also help a run game with blocking ability - that's if they plan much of a ground game ?; if they want to go with mostly smurfs or speed guys, that might work too i guess - maybe MacBeth throwing lots of bombs; but please limit the dinky hitch screens or check-downs to lightweight receivers. Like to see Cross play lots and get the ball some. ;o)

I'l bet on 7 NIs only need apply might be the plan, but I guess that could change to 8 if some NIs have strong camps. 3 Canadian O-line + 2 receivers + 2 on D (Lakombo & Ackie) would be my guess for pencilling-in.

doubleblue
05-05-2020, 10:54 PM
I'm in the 8 Canadian starters and maybe 9. Offense: C Blake, RT Campbell, WR TJ Jones, SB Brescacin, FB/SB Cross/Noel
Defense: CB/DB Colquhoun/Boateng, LB Ackie, LB/S Lokombo/Woodson, DT/DE Foote/Smith

International Nationals: 3 of: LB Woods, LB Knox, DE Roh, CB T. Campbell, CB Richardson, S/DB Darby, OL R. Richards

Hopefully a couple of the new rookie Import O Linemen pan out. They have Cage and Randy Richards coming back who are not all stars IMO.
A lot of question marks though with so many first year Internationals.

Late round pick FB Dion Pellern must have had a growing spurt over the winter. Lol
I see he's listed at 6'5. More of a clone of Declan Cross at 5'11.

AngeloV
05-06-2020, 10:00 AM
I'm in the 8 Canadian starters and maybe 9. Offense: C Blake, RT Campbell, WR TJ Jones, SB Brescacin, FB/SB Cross/Noel
Defense: CB/DB Colquhoun/Boateng, LB Ackie, LB/S Lokombo/Woodson, DT/DE Foote/Smith

International Nationals: 3 of: LB Woods, LB Knox, DE Roh, CB T. Campbell, CB Richardson, S/DB Darby, OL R. Richards

Hopefully a couple of the new rookie Import O Linemen pan out. They have Cage and Randy Richards coming back who are not all stars IMO.
A lot of question marks though with so many first year Internationals.

Late round pick FB Dion Pellern must have had a growing spurt over the winter. Lol
I see he's listed at 6'5. More of a clone of Declan Cross at 5'11.

Offence, I have Blake, Campbell, Richards, Brescacin, Adjei/Cross
Defence, I have Ackie, Lokombo, and Colquhoun/Boateng

8 starters and 9 if they go with Smith or Foote on the field. (not counting TJ until his contract gets sorted out or they would have the possibility of having 10 Canadian starters).

jerrym
05-18-2020, 06:51 PM
Because of the Covid-19 impact on whether there is a CFL season, none of the CFL draft choices have been signed and negotiations have not even begun. Without a contract to play in the CFL, they are not considered eligible as employees for Covid employment compensation ($2,000), although they could be eligible for the lower new grad compensation ($1,200). With University sports programs questionable, those draftees eligible to return to college may find there is no football there also.

Negotiations were expected to be even quicker under the new collective bargaining agreement. The draft now has “slotted” contracts, which means that players are required to sign for a (mostly) predetermined dollar figure depending on where they are selected. ...

Teams have yet to formally announce the signings of any selections since the draft took place. This isn’t a surprise given that training camps — originally slated to open May 17 — have been postponed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. What may come as a surprise is that clubs have not yet started the negotiating process. Per sources, draft selections have not been offered contracts as CFL teams look to limit spending amid the uncertainty surrounding the upcoming season. ...

Top draft selections are eligible to negotiate a signing bonus of up to $7,500. These bonuses are paid out immediately and cannot be recouped if the 2020 season is cancelled. As such, it could be a long time before we see any players selected in this year’s draft sign a CFL contract. This is a problem for draftees as it may deem them ineligible for government assistance if there is no 2020 season. Without a contract, players are not yet considered members of the CFLPA or employees of their respective clubs. It’s tough to seek funding for lost wages when you were never formally employed to begin with.

Worse yet, it’s possible that the U Sports and NCAA seasons will not go ahead as scheduled, either. This means that prospects with remaining eligibility may be left with no option to play football in 2020.

https://3downnation.com/2020/05/18/cfl-draft-selections-not-being-offered-contracts-amid-covid-19-uncertainty/

7dj83r8f78t4alf8