PDA

View Full Version : Draft predictions....

Mike Hogan
04-30-2020, 02:02 PM
I'm really curious...who do you think we draft at 2, 9 and 11?

Who do you HOPE we draft at 2, 9, and 11?

I can't wait for this to start...huge night.

doubleblue
04-30-2020, 04:24 PM
I think they will draft #2 Jack-Kurdula, #9 Cam Lawson #11 O'Leary-Orange

Hope they will draft #2 Brissett, #9 Hoecht, #11 Gangarossa

OV Argo
04-30-2020, 05:08 PM
Hope for: #2 - Mattland Riley; #9 - Andrew Seinet-Spaulding; #11 - O-Leary-Orange

Actual - no clue what-so-ever, and nothing would surprise me.

Jon Gonzo
04-30-2020, 06:30 PM
I'll guess Jack Kurdyla, Rysen John and Nathan Rourke

ArgoZ
04-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Admittedly, I know little about the prospects this year. However, I feel it’s easy to predict we will see Offensive Lineman and Toronto area players drafted by the Argos tonight. :D

Wobbler
04-30-2020, 09:49 PM
I had no predictions but I'm happy with the choice of the consensus-best receiver at #2. It continues an appealing strategy of prioritizing local/connected players, and implies that starting a mix of nationalities at OL and receiver is a long-term plan. Flexibility is good.

Argo57
04-30-2020, 10:03 PM
I had no predictions but I'm happy with the choice of the consensus-best receiver at #2. It continues an appealing strategy of prioritizing local/connected players, and implies that starting a mix of nationalities at OL and receiver is a long-term plan. Flexibility is good.

No arguments here👍

doubleblue
05-01-2020, 06:49 AM
I think they will draft #2 Jack-Kurdula, #9 Cam Lawson #11 O'Leary-Orange

Hope they will draft #2 Brissett, #9 Hoecht, #11 Gangarossa

Hey I got one right. But I think I had them taking Brissett, Cassar and Giffen in my mock draft. I had never heard of Theren Churchill, but I see he was listed in the Western Combine that never happened. 9th overall pick, they must see something beside 6'6 280. Will look forward to John Murphy's review of his picks.

gilthethrill
05-01-2020, 03:31 PM
Hey I got one right. But I think I had them taking Brissett, Cassar and Giffen in my mock draft. I had never heard of Theren Churchill, but I see he was listed in the Western Combine that never happened. 9th overall pick, they must see something beside 6'6 280. Will look forward to John Murphy's review of his picks.

Churchill is also 26 years old.

doubleblue
05-01-2020, 04:12 PM
Churchill is also 26 years old.

I guess we can be sure he has stopped growing if that's the case. lol

Shatto
05-01-2020, 04:46 PM
The selection of Churchill at #9 is reminiscent of the 2016 pick of Sackey at #13. Hope this one works out better.

OV Argo
05-01-2020, 04:59 PM
The selection of Churchill at #9 is reminiscent of the 2016 pick of Sackey at #13. Hope this one works out better.

I seem to recall some footage of the Argo draft room that 2016 draft and some chest thumping that Sackey was such a brilliant steal of a pick.

Again - CFL GMs often, IMO, show horrible lack of drafting finesse by selecting a player (and maybe one that their scouts have rated highly for some good reasons) in the early rounds, when there is little to zero chance another CFL team would have used a pick so early on that player (if at all); and thus you could have had that guy much later in the draft and had a higher rated player with the earlier pick.

Esks taking DE A. Pae - who played one college ball season (OUA all-rookie team with the GGs) and is about to turn 27 - with the 13th overall this draft, is about as goofy as the CFL draft can get IMO - almost laughable (unless the guy runs a 4.4 forty and puts up 30 bench reps for a DE) (and Pae can go prove me wrong by becoming a starter and CFL all-star).

Meanwhile, a number of proven - all-star, top stat or award winning - players go undrafted pretty well every CFL draft, and Canadian QBs are still to be shunned (unless they played Div I US college ball).

Jon Gonzo
05-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Yes, I hate to pass judgement at draft time, but that 9th pick did seem like a reach to me. But hey, they probably noticed this guy back in the days when they were following Noah Picton around? They've watched him play, and I have not.

According to Hogie, the Argos were ecstatic that they got almost every player on their board. Their 1st 3 projected picks were Brisset, Churchill and Cassar and after a debate between who should go 2nd and 3rd, the brass was jacked they got all 3.

And with Giffen falling, that was another pleasing surprise for them.

This has the potential to be a great draft, but don't they all. We shall see. I think the draft strategy was sound, and Marshall Ferguson says he thinks the Argos had a great night.

Argo57
05-01-2020, 06:49 PM
I seem to recall some footage of the Argo draft room that 2016 draft and some chest thumping that Sackey was such a brilliant steal of a pick.

Again - CFL GMs often, IMO, show horrible lack of drafting finesse by selecting a player (and maybe one that their scouts have rated highly for some good reasons) in the early rounds, when there is little to zero chance another CFL team would have used a pick so early on that player (if at all); and thus you could have had that guy much later in the draft and had a higher rated player with the earlier pick.

Esks taking DE A. Pae - who played one college ball season (OUA all-rookie team with the GGs) and is about to turn 27 - with the 13th overall this draft, is about as goofy as the CFL draft can get IMO - almost laughable (unless the guy runs a 4.4 forty and puts up 30 bench reps for a DE) (and Pae can go prove me wrong by becoming a starter and CFL all-star).

Meanwhile, a number of proven - all-star, top stat or award winning - players go undrafted pretty well every CFL draft, and Canadian QBs are still to be shunned (unless they played Div I US college ball).

You are correct OV, there is footage of Milanovich in the war room apparently fielding calls (or texts) from other organizations expressing their dismay at the Argos beating the rest of the league for Sackey’s services.

Argo57
05-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Yes, I hate to pass judgement at draft time, but that 9th pick did seem like a reach to me. But hey, they probably noticed this guy back in the days when they were following Noah Picton around? They've watched him play, and I have not.

According to Hogie, the Argos were ecstatic that they got almost every player on their board. Their 1st 3 projected picks were Brisset, Churchill and Cassar and after a debate between who should go 2nd and 3rd, the brass was jacked they got all 3.

This has the potential to be a great draft, but don't they all. We shall see. I think the draft strategy was sound, and Marshall Ferguson says he thinks the Argos had a great night.

I have always liked watching drafts (NHL, NFL, CFL) etc, the strategy intrigues me.
Regarding the CFL draft I have my own thoughts on what positions the Argos should address but know next to nothing about the available talent other than the pre draft rankings, I simply watch the picks and listen to the panels reaction to the picks.
That being said I think Murphy and the Argos had a very solid draft last night, usually I am excited knowing camps open a couple of weeks post draft but unfortunately that isn’t the case this year.

Wobbler
05-01-2020, 07:27 PM
It's hard to be too critical when the team had so few areas of need (after the free agency bumper crop) in a year when talent evaluation opportunities were so limited.

Argo57
05-01-2020, 07:44 PM
It's hard to be too critical when the team had so few areas of need (after the free agency bumper crop) in a year when talent evaluation opportunities were so limited.

They really did a fantastic job with the roster in February, a fact that wasn’t lost on the panel last night.

gilthethrill
05-02-2020, 05:13 AM

Every team in every sport is estatic after their draft and rightfully so.

doubleblue
05-02-2020, 08:07 AM
You are correct OV, there is footage of Milanovich in the war room apparently fielding calls (or texts) from other organizations expressing their dismay at the Argos beating the rest of the league for Sackey’s services.

I thought it was after they took Campbell that Milanovich got a text, probably from Jones or O'Shea. Either way it doesn't matter now.

I didn't know the back ground on this DE Pae Edmonton took in the 2nd. Strange that they would take him that high unless they thought another team was thinking the same thing. Three years is a long time to be out of football.

Argo57
05-02-2020, 10:05 AM
I thought it was after they took Campbell that Milanovich got a text, probably from Jones or O'Shea. Either way it doesn't matter now.

I didn't know the back ground on this DE Pae Edmonton took in the 2nd. Strange that they would take him that high unless they thought another team was thinking the same thing. Three years is a long time to be out of football.

The entire DJ Sackey-Milanovich war room draft day story is in this article:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwifhPzMq5XpAhUNHc0KHdQ_BOIQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tsn.ca%2Fargonauts-get-their-men-on-draft-day-1.487702&usg=AOvVaw3v0k0vMES-UV9tn-lVkC13

doubleblue
05-02-2020, 10:35 AM
The entire DJ Sackey-Milanovich war room draft day story is in this article:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwifhPzMq5XpAhUNHc0KHdQ_BOIQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tsn.ca%2Fargonauts-get-their-men-on-draft-day-1.487702&usg=AOvVaw3v0k0vMES-UV9tn-lVkC13

I guess you're right it was Sackey. Don't know how anybody else in the league could be so wrong about that pick. I don't want to brag, but the first time I saw Sankey and Campbell in TC I said to myself Campbell is going to be the better player. Oh, I guess I just did. Lol

My mock picks back then were Lauzan-Seguin #1 and Llevi Noel at #2. You win some you lose some. Campbell and Noel are what they ended up with, so not all bad.

Wobbler
05-04-2020, 12:34 AM
This podcast segment (https://3downnation.com/2020/05/02/3downnation-podcast-2020-cfl-draft-breakdown-with-the-original-canadian-guru-duane-forde/) is worth skimming to pick up some Forde insights on the Argo picks. I hadn't realized that Churchill's potential at tackle might have made a big difference.

It's also fun to listen to DF's draft "war stories" and find out how much respect Dunk, Hodge, and Abbott have for him.

OV Argo
05-04-2020, 08:33 AM
This podcast segment (https://3downnation.com/2020/05/02/3downnation-podcast-2020-cfl-draft-breakdown-with-the-original-canadian-guru-duane-forde/) is worth skimming to pick up some Forde insights on the Argo picks. I hadn't realized that Churchill's potential at tackle might have made a big difference.

It's also fun to listen to DF's draft "war stories" and find out how much respect Dunk, Hodge, and Abbott have for him.

Richards, Simba & Starczala from last year's draft were all OTs in college ball; so was Giffen (the latter 3 have all been named Canadian college ball all-star OTs; Churchill has not that i know of) . To say Churchill somehow has more OT potential than any of those guys is way beyond me.

argolio
05-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Richards, Simba & Starczala from last year's draft were all OTs in college ball; so was Giffen (the latter 3 have all been named Canadian college ball all-star OTs; Churchill has not that i know of) . To say Churchill somehow has more OT potential than any of those guys is way beyond me.Similar principle applies to the many high school players who change positions when they get to college. They're projecting skill-sets and body types to the next level.

OV Argo
05-04-2020, 01:19 PM
Similar principle applies to the many high school players who change positions when they get to college. They're projecting skill-sets and body types to the next level.

Not many players are going to switch positions going into the pros - they're in their mid 20s and have stopped growing BTW ;o)

And just what about skill-set and body type suggests Churchill is going to make a better pro OT than guys who were already all-stars at the position at the previous level, plus are all way bigger than Churchill's reported size ?

Nice to hear some draft analysis from the "experts" like Marshall Ferguson (LOL) - and Duane Forde is one of the CFL commentators i have a lot of respect for; but the CFL site and a site like 3 Down are all about positive news & spin for the CFL and they are not into being critical or questioning of the CFL draft - almost every pick was brilliant and makes total sense !

I'd like to hear an explanation how some of the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 prospects either fell way down to later rounds or were not even drafted at all ? You're not going to hear anything but crickets on those CFL sites about Sinagra being totally snubbed by the usual GOB suspects.

Wobbler
05-04-2020, 01:38 PM
This may surprise you, OV, but most people don't share your weird obsessions.

OV Argo
05-04-2020, 01:54 PM
This may surprise you, OV, but most people don't share your weird obsessions.

Yeah, if keen interest in the CFL draft is to be judged as weird, then guilty as charged. There are a few others here who have interest in the CFL draft too - doubleblue, j-ski, bannedforlife and a few others ? Maybe we should have our own little side room here ? - for a focus on the draft and so as not to bother others ? ;o)

j-ski
05-04-2020, 02:23 PM
Yeah, if keen interest in the CFL draft is to be judged as weird, then guilty as charged. There are a few others here who have interest in the CFL draft too - doubleblue, j-ski, bannedforlife and a few others ? Maybe we should have our own little side room here ? - for a focus on the draft and so as not to bother others ? ;o)

If you haven't heard it yet, here are 4 other guys who love the draft. Great stuff.

https://3downnation.com/2020/05/02/3downnation-podcast-2020-cfl-draft-breakdown-with-the-original-canadian-guru-duane-forde/

I love the CFL (and the NFL draft). I think its great to watch players develop all the way from University to the pros.

Jon Gonzo
05-04-2020, 03:18 PM

It's more likely that we're all a bit touched around here

Argo57
05-04-2020, 07:13 PM
Not many players are going to switch positions going into the pros - they're in their mid 20s and have stopped growing BTW ;o)

And just what about skill-set and body type suggests Churchill is going to make a better pro OT than guys who were already all-stars at the position at the previous level, plus are all way bigger than Churchill's reported size ?

Nice to hear some draft analysis from the "experts" like Marshall Ferguson (LOL) - and Duane Forde is one of the CFL commentators i have a lot of respect for; but the CFL site and a site like 3 Down are all about positive news & spin for the CFL and they are not into being critical or questioning of the CFL draft - almost every pick was brilliant and makes total sense !

I'd like to hear an explanation how some of the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 prospects either fell way down to later rounds or were not even drafted at all ? You're not going to hear anything but crickets on those CFL sites about Sinagra being totally snubbed by the usual GOB suspects.

Hey OV, who the hell is Mel Kiper?😛

jerrym
05-04-2020, 07:29 PM
In a video interview on the Stampeder website, GM John Hufnagel commented on his draft picks, saying he had talks with the Argos, who were concerned that Calgary might pick WR Dejon Brissett, who the Argos took at #2, but Calgary was also interested in picking him at #1. In the end the Stampeders decided to go with DE Adeyemi-Berglund after switching to #3 in the draft with assurances from BC that they would not pick him. A good sign that Hugnagel, who has done very well in previous drafts, also valued Brissett highly.

argolio
05-06-2020, 01:08 PM

And just what about skill-set and body type suggests Churchill is going to make a better pro OT than guys who were already all-stars at the position at the previous level, plus are all way bigger than Churchill's reported size ?Most are in their early 20s, and all players progress (or regress) physically and skill-wise early in their pro careers.

Plenty of o-linemen change positions as pros, though usually it's from tackle to guard. I don't get why it's a bad thing if Churchill can move from guard to tackle, or better yet can play both. Versatility is always a plus.

doubleblue
05-06-2020, 02:45 PM
Most are in their early 20s, and all players progress (or regress) physically and skill-wise early in their pro careers.

Plenty of o-linemen change positions as pros, though usually it's from tackle to guard. I don't get why it's a bad thing if Churchill can move from guard to tackle, or better yet can play both. Versatility is always a plus.

Write up on Churchill says he played 25 games straight at RT for Regina Rams. Canadian trained OT's that can play at the CFL level are hard to find. Churchill checks off a lot of the boxes.
Wonder why he wasn't rated in the top 20.

OV Argo
05-06-2020, 03:59 PM
Write up on Churchill says he played 25 games straight at RT for Regina Rams. Canadian trained OT's that can play at the CFL level are hard to find. Churchill checks off a lot of the boxes.
Wonder why he wasn't rated in the top 20.

Simba, Starzala and Giffen all played OT in U Sports ball as well, and all were named either Conference or All-Canadian all-stars at OT; Churchill did not make a CanWest all-star team at OT, far as I know. Maybe somehow he rates as a far better CFL OT for some reason or other.

Who knows about the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 ? - all sorts of weird $hit goes on there IMO (like a couple of guys who made one of last year's editions not being drafted at all). Hopefully, the Argos graded Churchill out at least as 4th best O-lineman this draft, and hopefully he has the skills to play OG or OT.

argolio
05-07-2020, 12:15 AM
Write up on Churchill says he played 25 games straight at RT for Regina Rams. Canadian trained OT's that can play at the CFL level are hard to find. Churchill checks off a lot of the boxes.If he is a future Dave Mudge, we better not trade him for the equivalent of Brad Elberg.

Rich
05-07-2020, 01:44 AM
Simba, Starzala and Giffen all played OT in U Sports ball as well, and all were named either Conference or All-Canadian all-stars at OT; Churchill did not make a CanWest all-star team at OT, far as I know. Maybe somehow he rates as a far better CFL OT for some reason or other.

Wouldn't all the best USports o-Line prospects be OTs? How many guards were drafted last week? I know Jack-Kurdyla was a guard, but by far most of the o-linemen drafted were tackles.

When I hear them talk about Churchill's versatility it sounds to me like they want to play him at guard.

gilthethrill
05-07-2020, 04:22 AM
If he is a future Dave Mudge, we better not trade him for the equivalent of Brad Elberg.

Oh don’t even bring that up.

dmont
05-07-2020, 10:50 AM
Interview with Churchil here. Not a lot of new information, but seems like a good guy. Great attitude.

https://ballsy.podbean.com/e/episode-121-growing-the-game-with-ballsy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GrowingTheGameWithBallsy+%28G rowing+The+Game+with+Ballsy+via+%40ballsy72++%E2%8 8%9A%29

dmont
05-07-2020, 01:31 PM
Hes not one of our draft picks, but since the article is draft-related, here's some insight into our new kicker Nick DiFonte and what's led him to this point. I hope it works out for all involved.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/miracle-kicker-difonte-takes-swing-at-the-pros/amp?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

OV Argo
05-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't all the best USports o-Line prospects be OTs? How many guards were drafted last week? I know Jack-Kurdyla was a guard, but by far most of the o-linemen drafted were tackles.

When I hear them talk about Churchill's versatility it sounds to me like they want to play him at guard.

Nope - the first 3 O-linemen drafted were all interior guys; besides Jack-Kurdyla, Woodmansey (Ticats) and Riley (Riders) were all-star guards (Riley a 2 time 1st team all-Canadian). And the Stumps used a mid round pick to take an all-Canadian C (Zamora - StFX), even though they had signed Sean McEwen as a prized FA this off-season.

And a skilled OT can often be converted to guard, sure; but a smarter draft idea might be to address a very specific position by selecting a player who is proven/accomplished/experienced at the specific spot. Just like slotback and WR are different positions, and have some specific nuances, but sure a guy who has experience at one should be able to learn / pick-up the other.; and if you want a slotback, why not draft a guy with the experience and skill-set for the position ?

Jon Gonzo
05-07-2020, 03:03 PM
if you want a slotback, why not draft a guy with the experience and skill-set for the position ?

But isn't that what GOB's do? (;

OV Argo
05-07-2020, 05:56 PM
But isn't that what GOB's do? (;

Do they ?

Pretty Canadian game specific position, no ? Even though NFL teams often now use what they call a "slot" receiver (guy who lines up inside the WRs, but not tight to the line like a TE), the every down receiver, can go in motion or have a waggle start, and running routes from inside, on a huge Canadian field ... = Canadian football slotback? Used to be lots of Canadian slotbacks in the CFL but not near as much lately. Canadian receivers now getting to play slotback in the CFL ... drafted by GOBs to do that job ? ... Brad Sinopoli ? - nope, QB in college ball and drafted as such by the Stumps; Lemar Durant? - nope, wide-out experience drafted out of US college ball; Nic Demski - not sure if he played more slot or WR in U Sports ball ? Nate Adjei lined-up mostly at slotback for the Esks last season ? - WR out of US college ball ? A few of the other teams deploy imports only at slotback. But nothing stopping a WR from learning to be a good slotback .

7dj83r8f78t4alf8