PDA

View Full Version : CFLPA complaint about Argos' contract handling

Wobbler
05-30-2020, 01:44 PM
I wasn't aware of this practice (https://3downnation.com/2020/05/29/cflpa-states-toronto-argos-stuck-player-contract-in-the-drawer/). The CFLPA statement implies that it isn't uncommon for teams to sit on contracts that have been extended to players and signed by them. Are the players complaining about minor delays - especially understandable in the current environment - or have the owners been playing games?

argolio
05-30-2020, 01:58 PM
Maybe it has to do with teams juggling contracts to stay under CFL roster limits.

paulwoods13
05-30-2020, 03:00 PM
Derel Walker? Seems possible, pending outcome of TJ Jones.

Wobbler
05-30-2020, 03:16 PM
"The Canadian Football League Players’ Association has corrected an issue with the Toronto Argonauts" makes me think it is a player whose papers did eventually go through.

Argo57
05-30-2020, 06:29 PM
Derel Walker? Seems possible, pending outcome of TJ Jones.

My first thought as well Paul.

ArgoGabe22
05-31-2020, 12:01 AM
I had no clue what article would mention but hoped it provided clarification about the TJ Jones saga. Disappointed we still haven’t really heard much. I’m guessing he’ll never play up here.

argolio
05-31-2020, 01:40 PM
I had no clue what article would mention but hoped it provided clarification about the TJ Jones saga. Disappointed we still haven’t really heard much. I’m guessing he’ll never play up here.Kind of forgot about him. You'd think we would have heard a resolution to that situation by now.

j-ski
05-31-2020, 05:12 PM
I had no clue what article would mention but hoped it provided clarification about the TJ Jones saga. Disappointed we still haven’t really heard much. I’m guessing he’ll never play up here.

Pinball on the Rod Pederson show:

http://rodpedersen.com/weekend-random-things-for-universal-collision-centre/?fbclid=IwAR33NQ-1ZJmanApb2e9T1Vv12J2VurKPcXxUaW187sRHbBkkBA4Nts9wp cs

Football business continues to be done. Argos GM Mike “Pinball” Clemons broke the news on Friday’s RP Show that the CFLPA has vetoed the contract of Canadian “rookie” T.J. Jones who’d signed a six-figure deal with the Argonauts in the off-season. The Winnipeg product spent the past six NFL seasons with the Lions and Giants, but it’s been ruled he’s subject to the CFL’s Canadian rookie salary cap of $85,000. Jones’ representatives confirmed the news this weekend and told me, “We’ll never see him in the CFL if that remains the case”. Please debate.

doubleblue
05-31-2020, 05:51 PM
Pinball on the Rod Pederson show:

http://rodpedersen.com/weekend-random-things-for-universal-collision-centre/?fbclid=IwAR33NQ-1ZJmanApb2e9T1Vv12J2VurKPcXxUaW187sRHbBkkBA4Nts9wp cs

Football business continues to be done. Argos GM Mike “Pinball” Clemons broke the news on Friday’s RP Show that the CFLPA has vetoed the contract of Canadian “rookie” T.J. Jones who’d signed a six-figure deal with the Argonauts in the off-season. The Winnipeg product spent the past six NFL seasons with the Lions and Giants, but it’s been ruled he’s subject to the CFL’s Canadian rookie salary cap of $85,000. Jones’ representatives confirmed the news this weekend and told me, “We’ll never see him in the CFL if that remains the case”. Please debate.

Well we don't know what the league offered the PA to correct this rule for veteran NFL Canadian players. I'm sure the GOB O Line PA that have run the Union for years didn't really like the minimum being raised to 65,000 at their expense. So they will want some concession from the League to make a Canadian with time spent in the NFL different compared to a rookie who just received a TC tryout. Having three veteran Int/Nationals added to "10" starting Nationals total must have been part of the trade off. Teams will need to keep more players with 3 and 4 years in the League. I expect there might be a little bit of jealousy involved here.

Argo57
05-31-2020, 06:36 PM
Pathetic and shortsighted that this situation couldn’t be worked out.

paulwoods13
06-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Sorting this out would have required negotiating an addendum to the CBA. Assuming the league wanted the change made to accommodate the Argos and Jones (and any other players like him in future), the PA presumably would have wanted something in return. That's how employers and unions typically look at everything -- I'll trade you my red one for your green one.

Effectively precluding guys like Jones from coming to the CFL -- and make no mistake, there will be others in future, with so many guys trying their luck first in the NFL -- benefits no one. Allowing guys like that to negotiate bigger deals would have benefited everyone, IMO. But labour relations rarely involves common sense.

ArgoGabe22
06-01-2020, 02:36 PM
Going back to Paul's first comment, with $200k free and not a large demand for Walker league wide, are the Argos only his best bet? But for a little less and not at $200k?

Argo57
06-01-2020, 07:13 PM
Going back to Paul's first comment, with $200k free and not a large demand for Walker league wide, are the Argos only his best bet? But for a little less and not at $200k?

Looking at the Brandon Banks contract negotiated before the 2019 season I’d say $200k is in the ballpark for Walker’s services.
I would argue the Argos overpaid at $275k for Walker last season.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjQgLGG3eHpAhVLhXIEHcV-BdsQFjAEegQIERAG&url=https%3A%2F%2F3downnation.com%2F2019%2F01%2F31 %2Fwhat-brandon-banks-is-really-getting-paid-and-its-quite-a-bit%2F&usg=AOvVaw3xiffnPpv8tWIutbKF_A7Q

jerrym
06-08-2020, 05:06 AM
Effectively precluding guys like Jones from coming to the CFL -- and make no mistake, there will be others in future, with so many guys trying their luck first in the NFL -- benefits no one. Allowing guys like that to negotiate bigger deals would have benefited everyone, IMO. But labour relations rarely involves common sense.

The league is making a big mistake that will cost the league name players, media attention and some fan interest until this policy is changed.

AngeloV
06-08-2020, 04:48 PM
The league is making a big mistake that will cost the league name players, media attention and some fan interest until this policy is changed.

Agreed. It's such a petty dispute and nobody wins from this.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8