PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst CFL comentators of ALL TIME...???!!!???

argonaut11xx
06-18-2012, 05:31 PM
My Fav of all time was Pat Marsden.... (im sure a few folks will have him on the all time worst list too..haha)

Marsden and Ron Lancaster, along with Lief Peterson were a my fav combo way back when....

Chris Walby?, Rod Black?, or even Darren Dutichen (im glad he lost the lipstick)

Is any brave enough to say they have Glen Suitor as #1?

1argoholic
06-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Marsden was good. Bill Stevenson was great. I remember Dave Hodge was good back in the day. I loved the radio duo of Pete Martin and Bob Bratina. As well as Hogie and Martin. I didn't mind John Wells working with Suiter. The last few years Suiter has bothered me.

Back in the Argo blackout days I listen to plenty of Argo radio as a kid.

argonaut11xx
06-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Marsden was good. Bill Stevenson was great. I remember Dave Hodge was good back in the day. I loved the radio duo of Pete Martin and Bob Bratina. As well as Hogie and Martin. I didn't mind John Wells working with Suiter. The last few years Suiter has bothered me.

Back in the Argo blackout days I listen to plenty of Argo radio as a kid.

Bill Stevenson on CFRB radio was amazing...i think he worked with Pete Martin back in the 80's....

ArgoRavi
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Bill Stevenson on CFRB radio was amazing...i think he worked with Pete Martin back in the 80's....

Dave Hodge and Pete Martin worked together on Argo games in the 1970s but the Argos removed Hodge from the radio broadcasts for being too negative and critical although I don't know how he could be anything but negative and critical given how bad the Argos were at that time.

Will
06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Throughout my CFL watching life it's really been Chris Cuthbert who's the one constant!

Black is excrutiating when your team is being blown out!

ticatfan
06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Don Wittman

1argoholic
06-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Yah Don Wittman was solid.

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 08:42 AM
On the radio, liked Pete Martin and Bob Bratina, but like Hogie now.

Best on TV, Rod Black's play by play for sure, but liked Don Wittman as well, may he rest in peace.

Worst on TV is Chris Cuthbert, just doesn't do it for me.

paulwoods13
06-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Rod Black's play by play for sure . . .

You are the first poster I have ever seen on any forum who speaks out in favour of Rod Black. Reason?

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I just like the way he calls the game in all honesty, I am surprised there isn't more out there.

gilthethrill
06-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Don Wittman

Yes...he was great, really wore the CBC Mellon Jacket well....Joe Gallat was on CBC in the 80's, I thought he struggled in that role.

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
LOL, still remember those ugly CBC orange jackets, but can't put a face to Joe Gallat, name seems familiar though, once you hit 40, first thing to go is your memory lol.

gilthethrill
06-29-2012, 10:50 AM
LOL, still remember those ugly CBC orange jackets, but can't put a face to Joe Gallat, name seems familiar though, once you hit 40, first thing to go is your memory lol.

I don't think Gallat held the position very long, but you may see him on CBC broadcasts on YouTube....CBC gave Gizmo Williams a Mellon Jacket for returning kickoff for touchdowns one season...he really wanted one...

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
LOL, thats very kool, Gizmo was awesome, is he in broadcasting now?

ArgoRavi
06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes...he was great, really wore the CBC Mellon Jacket well....Joe Gallat was on CBC in the 80's, I thought he struggled in that role.

That is an understatement. Galat was awful in 1991-92.

Gill The Thrill
07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
That is an understatement. Galat was awful in 1991-92.

Still more entertaining than Duane Forde...this guy puts me to sleep. Between him and Rod Black, a sure cure for insomnia. They're so vanilla and so uncritical that they are virtually saying nothing even when they are talking. Too bad the radio is a few seconds ahead of the TV in terms of Audio broadcasts, as I'd much rather hear Mike Hogan and Sandy Annunziati's commentary than listen to Black and Forde's telecast.

Wittman with Ron Lancaster and Leo Cahill was an exceptional CBC team in the early 80's. CTV with Marsden, Leif Petterson or Mike Wadsworth were also superb. The broadcast quality of CFL production in the early 80's was top notch on both CBC and CTV. When the CFL experienced financial trouble in the late 80's with CTV's broadcasting rights ceasing after 1986, the CBC still had a solid 2 man booth with Wittman and Lancaster, until Lancaster took the job as Eskimos head coach in 1990 or thereabouts....after Joe Farragelli, I believe.

CTV coverage was replaced with the CFL produced Canadian Football Network (CFN) but had decent broadcasters with Dave Hodge and Neil Lumsden making a good broadcast team. Bombers radio man, Bob Irving provided excellent TV play by play for CFN, and was helped with commentary by Tom Larsheid, who now works in Vancouver with Canucks broadcasts.

The worst commentator was probably Peter Watts during TSN's early days, who used to comically bumble his way:othrough intros and sideline interviews. Marc Lee could be funny as well, but was starting to get better as CBC's coverage drew to a close. Steve Armitage was not bad at play-by-play, but his sideline interviews were hilarious...case in point...asking Jason Clermont if being a Canadian Player of the game for the 2004 Grey Cup was a dream, even though his BC Lions had lost the game.:o:confused:

ArgoRavi
07-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Forde is much better than Galat but Rod Black drags him down IMO. TSN has to know about all of the complaints about Rod Black but they persist in keeping him on CFL games for some reason. It truly is baffling.

Gill The Thrill
07-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Forde is much better than Galat but Rod Black drags him down IMO. TSN has to know about all of the complaints about Rod Black but they persist in keeping him on CFL games for some reason. It truly is baffling.It's funny, I actually did'nt mind the Black/Forde team today. Maybe it had more to do with the game.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8