PDA

View Full Version : Dale Hawerchuk

carlos
08-19-2020, 05:55 AM
Sad, sad news regarding the passing of Dale Hawerchuk due to cancer.

Growing up as a Jets fan in the eighties the memories are innumerable. One that does stand out was the Canada Cup game in 86 or 87 played in Copps Colosseum when Canada came back late to tie Russia at 6 - 6. Lemieux from Gretzky and Hawerchuk. Possibly Mario's biggest goal ever. Hawerchuk won the faceoff to start the play.

bannedforlife
08-19-2020, 07:20 PM
If folks recall correctly, we had a big comeback to win that game in 87. I watched a rare documentary made just after the series and there were two pretty good centers on the ice but Keenan (who had coached Hawerchuk) specifically wanted and trusted him to take the draw. I also believe Ducky was player of the game. RIP

Just as an aside, another thing you learn in the doc was all the player's hated Keenan (Gretzky was the peacemaker) Apparently Keenan wouldn't impose any kind of structure, he figured they would improvise and be the best that way. After early struggles, once they had some time together, he was proven right in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhM3BZ62EBQ

bannedforlife
08-19-2020, 07:42 PM
canada came back late to win 6-5. fyp

carlos
08-19-2020, 11:14 PM
fyp

Thanks for setting it straight. I was also told earlier today Hawerchuk did not get the second assist. I guess a memory is what you can remember.

Odd that they had Gretzky, Lemiuex, and Hawerchuk out together so late in a tie game. That's what made me think they must have needed a goal.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8