PDA

View Full Version : Argos brass need to make a decision about the game-day atmosphere

CptArcher
06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
I have kept my mouth shut about this before, but the more Argos Football I watch in person the more I realize the Argos are shooting themselves in the foot.

Do we want a fan-driven sports atmosphere where fans are allowed to cheer and make themselves heard? Or do we want our games to have the feel of an Arcade, or in the words of Paul Lapolice, a "shopping mall".

Why do they insist on blaring pop music every possible second of the game that a play is not being run? It is so bush league.

Not only does this ridiculous drown out the existing crowd noise, but it discourages all fans from making noise at all, because they are trying to compete with the sound system on high volume. There's just no point cheering because the music is 1000x louder anyway.

It was so bad today in the pre-season game, there were times where the music continued after the offence had broken its huddle and right up to the snap of the ball. Maybe they have new people working it, somebody should explain to them the rules.

But still, stopping the music after the opposing offence breaks huddle does not give the crowd any time to get engaged and make noise. I can't imagine the players are very fond of it either.

We have shown that a stadium with 20.000-25,000 can be loud if the fans are engaged vocally, but this can only happen if we allow them to be heard.

Argos
06-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Totally agree. Last year, we decided that as long as music was playing, we would sit silent - no yelling or clapping or trying to compete with the sound system. I'm normally a loud fan - cheering and yelling on every defensive play, etc. But by the end of the year, I quit cheering entirely. Too frustrating. Plus the music is mainly electropop and club music which is nails on a chalk board to me! If it was more footballish stuff - hard rock, rap, whatever, I could tolerate it better, but even then, it's too loud.

Of course, because today's game was a noon weekday game, I couldn't make it, but it sounds like nothing has changed. Staying home and watching on TSN will likely be my choice next year of nothing changes. I know they've already lost some season ticket holders over it, a couple more could be on the way. It really is that distracting for me.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2012, 01:29 AM
We can blame the NBA for this problem. They started blaring music throughout their games during the 1980s and the attendance and popularity of that league rose during that time. After that, many sports leagues, including the CFL decided that this is what people want. Toronto seems to be especially bad with the music and there have been many complaints on this board over the last couple of years but nobody seems to be listening or at least they don't care what the hard-core fans think.

Argos
06-20-2012, 02:28 AM
I hear you. Of course, the NBA popularity had to do with several dynamic superstars, not game presentation, but it did mess things up in a lot of places!

Winnipeg, last year anyway, had relatively quiet music, stuck with rock music, and had deafeningly loud fans! I wish the Argos would take note....

CptArcher
06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
I hear you. Of course, the NBA popularity had to do with several dynamic superstars, not game presentation, but it did mess things up in a lot of places!

Winnipeg, last year anyway, had relatively quiet music, stuck with rock music, and had deafeningly loud fans! I wish the Argos would take note....
There seems to be a correlation between having loud fans and not drowning out the crowd noise with music. :S

doubleblue
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I think we should have organ music like the hockey games at the old Chicago Stadium. lol

But I'm with everybody on the loud ugly music. Don't care for it myself.
They use to play Elvis' "All Shook Up" after a good hit once in a while. That was fun, but somebody probably thought that was offensive because a player got his bell rung.
Better to play music that nobody can understand I guess.

mchesher03
06-20-2012, 12:45 PM
I see the rationale behind the tunes between plays some of the time - otherwise it's sort of dead air and that's "boring" to the casual fan. should be better discretion left to the sound crew to pare down the music before big defensive plays, etc. when people are trying to generate noise in there. cause i hear you, no point in making noise for the defence while battling some techno pop music over the PA

1argoholic
06-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Pretty hard to listen to much of the pop dance kind of CRAP they want to pump out. Hard to please everyone with music. The Ramones are the only band I love that I hear during every hockey game with Hey Ho Lets Go or a few other lines from their songs. I don't tolerate music that I hate like what I call lowered Honda Civic music booming. That's the crap as I read mchesher03's post, techno pop SHITE!!!

matthew
06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
I hate that f'ing music and so do the people around me. I'd like to use action breaks as opportunities to talk to people I get to know around my seat throughout the season. Instead, its like being at a nightclub, "what WHat...WHAT!!!!!"

The argos are encouraging kids to come to the game. How is old dad (or mom) going to teach him/her the nuances of the game so that they come to appreciate it if, during breaks in the action, the kid can't hear what the parent is saying?

Its stupid that music. I went to BC last year for the final game there and they don't do it. So Senator Braley what gives?

The babies got it right and we should get a movement going based on what they do.

Very often on the jumbo tron you see babies with big honking headphones on to block out sound like you see on construction sites. I say we wear them too. Let's pick a game and let the execs see a bunch of people wearing big bright orange or yellow headphones so that they get the message. Turn it OFF. I mean I'd yell that to them but they could not hear me anyway. If only they would listen.

Argos
06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
I really hope the Argos read this thread. 2-3 years ago, my 200 level section was about two thirds full most nights, and many fans over 50. It's deteriorated to the point we had 12 fans in our section one game last year. The older fans quit coming and none of the nightclub types they're marketing to have shown up. They need to change the music philosophy before its too late. It costs ten times as much to get a new customer as to retain an existing one, that's what I was always taught!

ArgoFan1
06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
This is Great !! I complained about this last season quite a bit. It appears no one at the Argos office reads this forum. The music has got to stop or at least be turned down to about one fifth the current level. There is absolutely no way of having a conversation with anyone between plays. If the music is turned way down, those that want to, can still listen to it. It was so bad at the game yesterday that they kept blaring the music when the referee was explaining a penalty and there was no way to hear him, if he is mike was even on. No way to tell. They have to stop playing it non stop. At one point the two on-field hosts were speaking on the jumbotron, but the music was pounding away and I did not hear a word they said.
I complaied about it last year when they would ask us to make noise and then they would turn the music up even louder so what was the point ????
Who do we write to???

Will
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
It is interesting that Hamilton fans were also complaining about the noise level at IWS during the pre-season game on the 13th.

Argos
06-20-2012, 04:47 PM
It's still far better in Hamilton. I was at that game, it was too loud. But quieter than Rogers Centre! Hamilton does a far superior job of game presentation overall. Traditionally, they play real football music, there was some club stuff mixed in last week but nothing like the Argos! And Steeltown by Airbourne is the best kickoff song anywhere. Wish the Argos would take note!!

Argos
06-20-2012, 04:49 PM
One more thing - keep posting here but also call your ticket rep! My rep said he hasn't had any other complaints about the music other than from me. We have to let them know we don't like it!

ArgoFan1
06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I was looking on the Argo site, but couldn't find anyway to contact anyone there. Also.. who should we contact??

Argos
06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I was looking on the Argo site, but couldn't find anyway to contact anyone there. Also.. who should we contact??

For me, I contacted my season ticket account rep. If you don't have a contact, I'd normally say to contact the director of game night operations, but I don't see one on this list....

http://www.argonauts.ca/page/front-office-football-operations

There's also "client services" which seems to refer to tickets - clientservices@argonauts.ca

http://www.argonauts.ca/page/clientservicesinformation

Chris Andreoli is a senior account exec and a good guy. his email is CAndreoli@argonauts.ca

ArgoGabe22
06-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Blame DJ Scott Boogie lol

matchuk
06-20-2012, 09:37 PM
wonder if these argos admirals can put a word in whoever they are?

AngeloV
06-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Personally, I don't have a problem with any of it. I'm there to watch the game and music between plays (whether I like it or not) has no bearing on it. I have nop problem communicating with the people I'm at the game with, or concentrating on what is going on.

CptArcher
06-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Glad we got some good feedback in this thread. Let's make a difference in our game day experience.

It's gotten to the point I am looking more forward to the games in Hamilton than in Toronto, because of the music destroying the atmosphere in Toronto.

I don't remember it being this bad a few years ago. At least some of the music back then over the sound system was Argonotes.

Hopefully the Argos change their mind on this before the season starts. This is too important a season to mess up.

shayman
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't remember it being this bad a few years ago. At least some of the music back then over the sound system was Argonotes.

Stand by, we're working on it.

Argos
06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm all for more Argonotes! Right now, every time they start playing, the DJ drowns them out. Club music is for dance clubs, bands are for football!! The Argonotes add a lot of atmosphere for me, let them be heard!

argolio
06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I agree that the music between plays is a bit too loud. Sometimes at the end of a game, I find my voice feels strained because I have to raise my voice too much to talk to my seatmate.

Or maybe I'm just becoming an old fart.

argotom
06-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Yes all music at the dome is way too loud and while we are at it that (c)rap version has got to go altogether.

AngeloV
06-21-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree that the music between plays is a bit too loud. Sometimes at the end of a game, I find my voice feels strained because I have to raise my voice too much to talk to my seatmate.

Ding Ding Ding Ding....We have a winner. LOL!!

Argocister
06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
I like the idea of pushing the Argonotes into the limelight. They are a unique group that gives the Argonauts and their fans some character! .......not saying the group of you are not characters but the Argonotes are an added feature during our games . Are there many other teams that have an Argonote equivalent?

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Are there many other teams that have an Argonote equivalent?

As far as i know Hamilton has the Burlington Teen Tour Band which are amateurs compared to the Argonotes. Not just in age, no offence but the Argonotes have been around since I watched the Argos. FYI I saw I guy on his bike in Boston wearing an old Argonotes shirt

shayman
06-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey, thanks for the kind words. Regarding other teams, Hamilton has a very good drum line (although they need to stop ignoring the rule that says you need to quit playing when the huddle breaks), Saskatchewan's had a band for about as long as us, and Edmonton started a pep band of high school kids a few years ago. I'm a fan of them all. We have a lot of fun playing against the Saskatchewan band at the Grey Cup. They'll be here in November, I'm sure.

The current Argonotes started in 1995 but there was an Argo band long before us - check out these guys from the 1960s!118

CptArcher
06-22-2012, 01:05 AM

I am 20 years old and a party animal but the music at the Argos games ridiculous. I prefer crowd noise, Argonotes and even silence this case.

jerrym
06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Is there any way we can send the entire thread to management to let them know how the overwhelming majority of fans feel about this too loud music?

paulwoods13
06-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Is there any way we can send the entire thread to management to let them know how the overwhelming majority of fans feel about this too loud music?

With no disrespect to anyone on this forum, the few dozen of us who post here regularly do not in any scientific way represent the "overwhelming majority of fans."

AngeloV
06-22-2012, 11:52 PM
With no disrespect to anyone on this forum, the few dozen of us who post here regularly do not in any scientific way represent the "overwhelming majority of fans."

I agree with this, and that's why I just accept the music playing. The kids sitting in front of me were dancing to pretty well every song played between plays.

CptArcher
06-23-2012, 12:33 AM
O yea, we musn't forget about all those major genetic differences between the sampling of fans on this forum and all the other "normal" Argo fans, how silly of us!

1argoholic
06-23-2012, 12:58 AM
I posted in the CFL section about the Stamps fan poll about game day music on the front page of their site. Good move.

ArgoRavi
06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
O yea, we musn't forget about all those major genetic differences between the sampling of fans on this forum and all the other "normal" Argo fans, how silly of us!

This site has the more die-hard fans whereas the Argos are looking to attract the casual fan with the hopes of eventually making them die-hards. With that in mind, I believe that they think that they must make it an "event" around the game and that includes the music.

paulwoods13
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM

I assume you're not actually suggesting that the vast majority of Argo fans are genetically predisposed to hate loud music in the stadium (altho you are certainly entitled to that opinion). But by my count there are seven individuals in this thread who appear to agree with the proposition that the loud music has to go. If seven individuals is a statistically valid indicator of the opinion of the "vast majority of Argo fans," then sadly there mustn't be very many Argo fans. That's how statistics work.

Hey, I'm not saying anyone isn't entitled to hate the music or any other part of the game-day experience. I myself would love to see all sports leagues return to the way it used to be, with few distractions. But you will not be credible with the powers that be if you try to pass off the opinions of seven individuals as representative of the vast majority of a fanbase that surely numbers in the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands.

ArgoZ
06-23-2012, 12:39 PM
For the record, I have never had an issue with the music. I don't find it too loud or distracting. Maybe I don't talk to much, or are too busy watching the replay or the cheerleaders. I assume the majority feel the same. The casual fan seems to always need to be entertained. Because I am a big fan, I often just enjoy seeing the players and coaches interact on the sidelines. The casual fan would find this boring and would rather watch the pizza pizza shuffle, (although the cheese race developed a following). To be honest, I have never given it any thought until now.

The cheerleaders dance to most songs, I would guess that it would be hard if it was all rock variety, so we do need some up tempo, dance music.

1argoholic
06-23-2012, 02:40 PM
I want to see Hockey without all the ad crap on the boards or football with green and white fields not covered in ads. CFL jersey's without ads but this I guess is what everything has become. Marketing,sell sell sell, money,money, money. I don't know when they started cranking music at games but unless it's real loud I never really noticed. My issue is real loud and real crap effect me. I'm a music snob. I like what I like and can't stand especially dance, hip hop rap crap.
Look at NLL which plays music right through the whole game. That can get to me at times because not a lot of punk rock and roll stuff is being played. I think music at games changed when they changed cheerleaders to dance teams. Not sure why they are even called cheerleaders anymore. All they do is dance to crap music. When it all comes down to it I'm there to watch football. I personally don't need all the other shite.

Argos
06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
This site has the more die-hard fans whereas the Argos are looking to attract the casual fan with the hopes of eventually making them die-hards. ArgodomeWith that in mind, I believe that they think that they must make it an "event" around the game and that includes the music.

The problem is two fold. First, does it have to be THAT loud? I'm not an old guy or a young guy, I'm mid 30s. And I like loud music - if I'm listening to music. But I'm there to watch football. And the music interferes. I'm not just there to watch the plays, I can do that watching on TV. I'm also there to watch formations, sideline interactions, substitutions. When the DJ blasts a controversial, niche style of music (electronic club music) at every stoppage, I can't focus on anything else but the music.

And the format itself is an issue. First, it's not a style traditionally associated with football like marching bands, rock, or rap, so it kind of removes the feeling of being at a football game. Second, the club music of the last 3-4 years is a high, piercing tone. The reason rock has a wide appeal over all ages is it has a range of frequencies, mostly mid range. Club music is not good for public venues as the sound is polarizing - its either enjoyable or highly grating to people. It's not just a matter of not liking the music, it's a matter of the sound causing severe headaches and even behavioral change - in other words, aggravation.

Also, as people get older, hearing changes. High pitches slowly go through life - there was a product a few years ago (which I don't agree with) intended to keep teenagers out of your business. It played a very high pitched sound that wouldn't be heard by those over about 20 years old. So in the case of this high pitched club music, what might sound fine at 18 may be distorted with some sounds lost by 30 - and much more so by 60.

I'm willing to bet those who can tolerate the music are quite young. And maybe the Argos are willing to sacrifice us season ticket holders for high schoolers who come to the odd game - after all, they already did in the preseason game! But I'm willing to bet loud music won't attract many, if any, new fans - but it's already cost several and is about to cost at least two more.

1argoholic
06-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Argos that's a great post. I'm 50 in a few months but still love nothing more that hitting a Victoria or Vancouver bar to see any of the rockabilly/punk/rock and roll and celtic punk kind of stuff I'm into. I listen to it cranked in our vehicles.Not cranked on some super system like the lowered hondas guy have. SHITE I HATE THAT SOUND! It might help if they just turn down the volume.
I don't expect everyone to love The Real McKenzies, Ramones, Creepshow, Supersuckers or Throw Rag, hell or even now of these bands so you can't expect everyone to love ranked dance club stuff.

Argos
06-23-2012, 03:52 PM
1argoholic - totally agree! I'm as big of a lacrosse fan as there is - I go to 4-5 games most weeks in summer and love CLax. But I not only don't go to NLL games, I can't stand to watch on TV. With the music going, especially if it's stuff I don't like (club music), I just can't focus on the game.

Interestingly, my understanding is most NLL teams still stick to traditional lacrosse music (hard rock). The Rock play more club stuff and have gone from sellouts to 8-10,000 per game. And of the people I know who have quit going, the reason is music.

1argoholic
06-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Two of my best Argo friends also are huge Rock fans. One reason we're pumped to live near Peterborough is to be able to hit Laker and Petes games. I'll have adopt both teams. On a trip last summer we ent to a Laker game and it was a blast. Funny I've only been to one Victoria Shamrock game. We're basically smack dab in the middle or Victoria and Nanaimo the land of the Timbermen. Maybe we'll hit some games.
Wonder why the Rock stopped playing that can't stop the rock song. It should be played with every goal. We watch every Rock tv game.

Argos
06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Laker games are quite an atmosphere, they're a lot louder and rowdier than most Ontario crowds (which is unusual, since a lot of the fans are over 60! LOL). And for the record - they don't play loud club music. :)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8