PDA

View Full Version : Argo Cuts

Mulder
06-20-2012, 03:19 PM
SAMIE PARKER ‏@SAMIEPARKER
Thankx for the love Toronto it was good while it lasted

Will
06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Parker is still listed on the Argos roster so there are no hints to be derived from there as to the identity of the other players.

gilthethrill
06-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Hhhmmm, I thought Parker would be on the opening day roster.

Will
06-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Hhhmmm, I thought Parker would be on the opening day roster.

He was all right during the pre-season games. I think his age (31) might've worked against him though.

Will
06-20-2012, 04:01 PM
As per Dan Ralph's twitter, released are:

QB Ricky Santos
WR Samie Parker
CB Sean Smalls
LB Anthony Cannon

Collaros to 9-game and Harris as the 3rd!!

Surprised by Smalls because of how inexperienced we were in the secondary to begin with.

DT Gregory Alexandre NIP Montreal
DB Raymond Brown IMP Kansas
WR Patrick Carter IMP Louisville
FB Aaron Crawford NIP St. Mary’s
DB Matt Estrada IMP Northern Arizona
DB Christian Golder IMP Lindenwood
OL Stephen Good IMP Oklahoma
DB Javes Lewis IMP Oregon
WR Samie Parker IMP Oregon
DB Shea Pierre NIP Windsor
QB Ricky Santos IMP New Hampshire
OL Darion Smith IMP Alabama-Birmingham
WR Sammy Tranks IMP Seton Hill

This list from cfl.ca

Some of these guys go to 9-game or PR. Do the CIS guys have years of eligibility left?

paulwoods13
06-20-2012, 04:11 PM

QB Ricky Santos
WR Samie Parker
CB Sean Smalls
LB Anthony Cannon

Surprised by Smalls because of how inexperienced we were in the secondary to begin with.

This list from cfl.ca

Some of these guys go to 9-game or PR. Do the CIS guys have years of eligibility left?

Not a lot of surprises. Smalls is one, but Jones wants a bigger, more aggressive secondary. Santos didn't get a lot of playing time to show what he could do, but Harris's performance can't be ignored, and Santos has only ever been a third-stringer -- not a lot of growth potential there. I thought Alexandre might have showed enough yesterday to stick, but I guess not. Bit surprised to see Zander Robinson survive but with Foley hurt, depth at DE is an issue. Tranks wasn't gonna make it if he couldn't get healthy. I'm betting we haven't seen the last of Crawford and Pierre.

Nob
06-20-2012, 04:13 PM
There will still be more cuts that need to be made.

Still no answer on the Riggs / Kackert battle.

Will
06-20-2012, 04:16 PM
I am glad that the Argos found a way to keep Collaros on the roster. He, too, is an intriguing prospect.

Still no answer on the Riggs / Kackert battle.

With Aaron Crawford gone, the only RB's on the roster are Boyd, Johnson, Kackert and Riggs.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2012, 04:30 PM
He was all right during the pre-season games. I think his age (31) might've worked against him though.

I agree. Samie had a good attitude and you couldn't help but pull for him but I think that the Argos probably just liked some of their younger receivers better.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2012, 04:36 PM

QB Ricky Santos
WR Samie Parker
CB Sean Smalls
LB Anthony Cannon

This list from cfl.ca

Both Crawford and Pierre would have eligibility left in the CIS but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Argos keep at least one of them on the PR. Quincy Hurst may start the year on the active roster but if he doesn't, I would expect that he would go on the PR which could then impact Crawford and/or Pierre.

Santos could return in a pinch if injuries hit at the QB position which hopefully won't happen. I could see Tranks back at some point once he is healthy. Does anyone know how many more cuts still need to be made?

Will
06-20-2012, 04:38 PM
I totaled 60 players (give or take due to sloppy counting) still on the roster.

gilthethrill
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM

I also predicted that Armando Murillo & Nic Clement would be in the secondary this season...my credibility (whatever little I had), is totally shot. Anthony Cannon getting his walking papers is a bit of surprise though.

1argoholic
06-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Jessie Hubbard also got the axe and he's not on the list posted here. He's on the Argos site list. Sad to see Parker go and hard to think of 31 as old. Hubbard seems pretty good as well. Hopefully they find a way to keep Kackert and Biggs. If Milanovich is running a system similar to Montreal that we'll see plenty of guys getting used and shuffled in and out play by play. I love that type of up tempo offence. You have guys that are always fresh.

Will
06-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Andrew Bucholtz ‏<s>@</s>AndrewBucholtz (https://twitter.com/#%21/AndrewBucholtz) RT <s>@</s>mscianitti (https://twitter.com/#%21/mscianitti): .<s>@</s>Spitzka (https://twitter.com/#%21/Spitzka) <s>#</s>Argos (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Argos) say Tranks's injury from last season & team not obligated. Argos say he is injury prone and out of chances

Regarding the Tranks release.

Will
06-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Hubbard was another guy who looked descent during the pre-season games. I know that isn't the full marker of evaluation, but I suppose it is for many fans.

dmont
06-20-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm surprised to see the IMP O-linemen go. Milanovich said we're pretty thin at left tackle, and if Smith goes down we had enough flexibility with our ratio to sub in a good import left tackle. I thought he meant Stephen Good, but with him gone, who's left?

ArgoGabe22
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Not really surprised with Cannon but he could`ve been a solid back up. The only surprise is Smalls. Wonder what will happen to Fortson. I feel sorry for Tranks, a great guy seeing someone being let go for being injury prone is sad to see but its a part of the business. Seeing Jesse Lumsden being let go by EDM was sad to see but he`s done well for himself I say.

Wobbler
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I think you'll see Good on the PR, just as Boatman and Coughman were kept in the past.

gilthethrill
06-20-2012, 06:12 PM

I'm surprised to see the IMP O-linemen go. Milanovich said we're pretty thin at left tackle, and if Smith goes down we had enough flexibility with our ratio to sub in a good import left tackle. I thought he meant Stephen Good, but with him gone, who's left?

George Bussey, a draft pick of the Patriots is still in camp I believe.

gilthethrill
06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Hubbard was another guy who looked descent during the pre-season games. I know that isn't the full marker of evaluation, but I suppose it is for many fans.

I am thinking some guys like Hubbard will be sticking around in some form or another.

Will
06-20-2012, 06:21 PM
I am thinking some guys like Hubbard will be sticking around in some form or another.

Perhaps, they don't sort out the practice roster until later IIRC, but I don't remember when, anybody else?

Wobbler
06-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Last year we did our PR signings the same day as we made our cuts (June 24th).

argolio
06-20-2012, 07:14 PM
If my math is right, 57 names remain on the website roster. So with 46 on the main roster and 7 on the practice roster, that leaves 4, and we know one of those (Kouame) appears to have a serious injury.

ArgoGabe22
06-20-2012, 08:02 PM
It just hit me. With Smalls and Cannon released does anyone think this frees up cap space for Boulay and Ferri? I heard both the Argos and Hamilton are after Boulay.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
It just hit me. With Smalls and Cannon released does anyone think this frees up cap space for Boulay and Ferri? I heard both the Argos and Hamilton are after Boulay.

I can't recall which pundit tweeted this yesterday but one of them did tweet that Boulay was likely headed to Toronto. BTW, I doubt that either Smalls or Cannon would have taken up much cap space.

Nob
06-20-2012, 08:36 PM
How long before the second kicker gets the boot?

I imagine the PR wont be put until later this week. I wonder if the Argos will be scanning the waiver wire from other teams?

ArgoGabe22
06-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Alix is a developmental player and so is Lee, not sure how for long they can last until they're apart of the roster. Don't think they count against the roster just yet.

paulwoods13
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
George Bussey, a draft pick of the Patriots is still in camp I believe.

Interesting. Bussey played only the last quarter or so yesterday.

matchuk
06-20-2012, 09:30 PM
would have liked to see cannon stay....talked a bit with smalls and tranks, excellent guys....too bad

dmont
06-20-2012, 11:49 PM

In this video:

http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/75125

Barker says that NONE of the players released today will end up on the PR. All PR players will come from the players remaining on the team.

CptArcher
06-21-2012, 01:04 AM
I can't recall which pundit tweeted this yesterday but one of them did tweet that Boulay was likely headed to Toronto. BTW, I doubt that either Smalls or Cannon would have taken up much cap space.
Wow, that is powerful info if true.

That would be a big-time signing for the Argos.

Will
06-21-2012, 09:28 AM
David Naylor believes that the Argos, Ticats and Eskimos are all interested in Boulay. He doesn't expect anything to happen before the weekend though.

gilthethrill
06-21-2012, 11:35 AM
So, if Boulay winds up here, where does that leave JY??? Is Boulay an upgrade or is it an opportunity to employ an import (George Bussy) at LT & perhaps move Wayne Smith to LG??

Again, with my track record, I am likely out in left field.

Will
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't think it affects JY too, too much. The depth behind JY is Matt Black who is new to S like JY and a rookie Estrada. Boulay would be a very good move for depth.

1argoholic
06-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Estrada was cut. What a confusing time of year. I guess everything will be straightened out in the next few days as the roster, practice roster, injured ...blah..blah..blah. Then we may bring in a few of some of the other teams cuts to upgrade or fill a need.

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
According to my sources, the Argos still have interest in Sammy Tranks and are waiting for him to get healthy. I'm not sure how true it is but comes from someone in the business.

AngeloV
06-21-2012, 07:13 PM
David Naylor believes that the Argos, Ticats and Eskimos are all interested in Boulay. He doesn't expect anything to happen before the weekend though.

What does he know. Don't some on here think he's anti CFL? ;)

jerrym
06-22-2012, 01:39 AM
If the Argos are still interested in Sammy Tranks, once he gets healthy, I think that's great. He seemed to have an electricity about him and never got a full chance to show his stuff before he got injured. Sometimes players have more sparkle than skill but considering how poor overall the Argo receivers were last year and how there are still question marks (partly because the three leading candidates, Barnes, Mann and Durie were themselves injured), I say keep trying to improve anywhere it could possibly help.

Will
06-22-2012, 07:29 AM
What does he know. Don't some on here think he's anti CFL? ;)

Let me guess...was it Argotom?

Will
06-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Bussey released
Good re-signed

7dj83r8f78t4alf8