PDA

View Full Version : Argos sign Canadian LB Cameron Judge

Skinny G
02-17-2021, 09:30 AM
Argos sign Canadian LB Cameron Judge and Paul Kozachuk

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/02/17/argos-add-canadian-lb-cameron-judge/?utm_source=dlvr.it

doubleblue
02-17-2021, 10:25 AM
Argos sign Canadian LB Cameron Judge and Paul Kozachuk

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/02/17/argos-add-canadian-lb-cameron-judge/?utm_source=dlvr.it

Cam Judge to the rescue for the Argo linebacking crew. I have a novel idea. Glen Young could start a new type of defense. With all these all-star DE's, line them up two deep with Judge the lone LB. First guy takes on the OT's the second DE come in like a blitzing linebacker. Sacks galore.

Bleeds Double Blue
02-17-2021, 10:59 AM
Cam Judge signing with the Argos is going to drive fans of a certain prairie team right over the edge. "Salary cap!" "Salary cap!"

Wobbler
02-17-2021, 11:01 AM
Are there any holes left on the roster? I'm not seeing any. Other than a lack of experience at QB, this is a good looking team.

OV Argo
02-17-2021, 11:11 AM
Are there any holes left on the roster? I'm not seeing any. Other than a lack of experience at QB, this is a good looking team.

O-line - huge question marks

D-backfield - some decent experience but maybe only one real proven guy (Shaq Richardson)

Wobbler
02-17-2021, 11:58 AM
There's plenty of OL and DB talent on the roster. It's just a matter of sorting out who goes where.

paulwoods13
02-17-2021, 12:18 PM
I'm with OV -- we don't really know what we have on the o-line or at DB. Only Richardson and Darby are sure things at DB, IMO. I love our three NAT DBs, but will be surprised if more than one of them starts regularly. On the line, there's loads of potential in Campbell, Richards, Simba, Speller and Bladek (and the 2020 draftees) but at this point it's mostly just potential. I also don't know what we have at LB on the INT side of the operation. Woods is proven but aging, and Moore has a bit of experience; after that, who knows? I do like our NAT LBs behind Judge, but Kwemo, Shortill and Cassar are still just guys with potential.

Tobin Rote
02-17-2021, 12:30 PM

Agreed. If this team can get decent low error quarterbacking from a very inexperienced group... it very well might be a good year.

AngeloV
02-17-2021, 12:35 PM
Cam Judge signing with the Argos is going to drive fans of a certain prairie team right over the edge. "Salary cap!" "Salary cap!"

The same fans that had no problem with about 30 non roster players being paid to hang around Regina a couple of years back? LOL..F them.

AngeloV
02-17-2021, 12:42 PM
I'm with OV -- we don't really know what we have on the o-line or at DB. Only Richardson and Darby are sure things at DB, IMO. I love our three NAT DBs, but will be surprised if more than one of them starts regularly. On the line, there's loads of potential in Campbell, Richards, Simba, Speller and Bladek (and the 2020 draftees) but at this point it's mostly just potential. I also don't know what we have at LB on the INT side of the operation. Woods is proven but aging, and Moore has a bit of experience; after that, who knows? I do like our NAT LBs behind Judge, but Kwemo, Shortill and Cassar are still just guys with potential.

I have faith in McAdoo as an O-line coach. I think he will get the best out of this group. Regarding the DB's, I would hope that they would start one on the corner (guessing that Colcohoun has the inside track there), and one at safety (Woodson?). Matt Boateng gives them depth there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in an additional safety type that can play ST's.

OV Argo
02-17-2021, 01:24 PM

Shortill has plenty of CFL experience now and has got to play significant reps on D with both the Ticats and the Als (a few years back) - where he looked strong; maybe Judge is the better talent there (not sure of that), but i think Shortill could have held down W-OLB just fine. Good to have lots of depth though.

And D-backfield and O-line are position groups where it helps to have guys who have played together and know their jobs and can play as a unit. Sure, good talent + smart coaching can get them there, but just saying it's not automatic or easy.

Richardson + Darby settled in at one position should be good; and i really believe both Woodson and Colquhon are solid starter material (though GOB 7 only stuff might mean only one of them gets to start); a couple of other imports with CFL experience too (Daniel was good with Calgary i think?) still leaves safety undecided and i guess any of the talented DBs could go there; just don't expect them to be all of a sudden top safeties - IMO that takes smarts, experience and deep understanding of the Canadian game & field.

O-Line - moulding some new guys into a good unit - might be tough and take awhile; especially in pass protection; wonder if Dinwiddie will have any plans for a run game to let the hogs root and feed ? ;o)

Stevoman
02-17-2021, 02:15 PM
This team is looking great, on paper anyway! Here's hoping for a full season and for everything coming together and Arbuckle being the real deal.

There are always so many interesting storylines for every season.

jerrym
02-17-2021, 04:05 PM
Getting Judge is an enormous benefit to the team as it frees up another spot for an import or even an eighth National. I'm still nervous about QB, especially when no starting QB made it through the entire season without missing time in 2019. If the OL is not strong, that also increases the chances of a QB being injured. I hope our OL has matured because it was a major source of weakness in 2019. Like others I see lots of potential with our DBs, but improvement over 2019 in this area is a low bar. That improvement will need to be major, as the Argos gave up 562 points, only two less than last place in PA Ottawa.

AngeloV
02-17-2021, 04:15 PM
Getting Judge is an enormous benefit to the team as it frees up another spot for an import or even an eighth National. I'm still nervous about QB, especially when no starting QB made it through the entire season without missing time in 2019. If the OL is not strong, that also increases the chances of a QB being injured. I hope our OL has matured because it was a major source of weakness in 2019. Like others I see lots of potential with our DBs, but improvement over 2019 in this area is a low bar. That improvement will need to be major, as the Argos gave up 562 points, only two less than last place in PA Ottawa.

I'm nervous about QB depth as well. I really hope MBT comes back into the fold.

paulwoods13
02-17-2021, 04:53 PM
I'm nervous about QB depth as well. I really hope MBT comes back into the fold.

Sad to say, I believe that ship has sailed.

Argo57
02-17-2021, 08:11 PM
Argos overall have done a great job in free agency again this year, my concern also lies with the QB’s which as a group are young and inexperienced.
Better hope Arbuckle is the real deal and stays healthy, would feel more comfortable with an experienced QB (such as MBT) in the fold as insurance.

Wobbler
02-17-2021, 08:42 PM
I think that the decision to go with inexpensive/inexperienced QBs is what allowed the team to make some of these great signings. It's a gamble, but a pretty good one IMO.

Shatto
02-17-2021, 11:40 PM
The OL with Spelling, Blake, Bladek, and Campbell, along with an American at LT (Cage? Allen?) should be effective. There are a number of young hungry and talented players who will compete hard to displace one of the aforementioned Canadians----Simba, Richards, Giffen, Starczala, Churchill.

There are a number of CFL experienced DB's who likely will make the team, such as---Richards, Richardson, Darby, Daniel and Colquhoun. A few American DB's could push that group, including former NFL drafted players--Decoud (5th round), Sample (4th round), Tyson( 6th round) along with Merriweather, who was the IFL's defensive player of the year. Woodson and Boateng are strong backups and who knows, might actually be capable of starting.

The one are of concern IMO, is MLB. Woods has been an excellent player during his career but he is 34 and has been injury prone lately. He has only managed to play 7 games in his last two seasons. There doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate on the roster to take his place.

Overall, the team with the addition of some outstanding talent, looks a lot stronger than last year. We have to assume that the coach, with his previous working knowledge of Arbuckle, chose him, convinced he can be a more than capable starting QB. We have to hope he is correct in that assessment.

Rich
02-18-2021, 03:12 AM
I think that the decision to go with inexpensive/inexperienced QBs is what allowed the team to make some of these great signings. It's a gamble, but a pretty good one IMO.

I agree completely. And I would say having a QB and a HC who have a history of working successfully with each other mitigates the risk a lot.

Unlike the last time the Argonauts signed a "QB Of The Future" back in 2018, when the HC disrespected the new QB at his first press conference, and things just got worse from there. Without a healthy level of respect and trust between the HC and the starting QB, a team is doomed to failure.

Rich
02-18-2021, 03:20 AM
Matt Boateng gives them depth there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in an additional safety type that can play ST's.

A healthy Taylor Loffler would look sure good in double blue.

carlos
02-18-2021, 05:52 AM
Unlike the last time the Argonauts signed a "QB Of The Future" back in 2018, when the HC disrespected the new QB at his first press conference, and things just got worse from there. Without a healthy level of respect and trust between the HC and the starting QB, a team is doomed to failure.

Only thing was Trestman was right about who was the more effective QB for his offense.

Argos would be a better team today if Trestman was still with them imo and that is not disrespecting Ryan Dinwiddie who has yet to coach a game.

Argo57
02-18-2021, 08:07 AM
Only thing was Trestman was right about who was the more effective QB for his offense.

Argos would be a better team today if Trestman was still with them imo and that is not disrespecting Ryan Dinwiddie who has yet to coach a game.

The stars aligned perfectly for the Argonauts in 2017, Trestman and Popp came in as the “dynamic duo” coupled with some astute player additions such as Bear Woods, SJ Green, Bear Woods the return of Marcus Ball and James Wilder.
Ricky Ray had a fantastic season and the players overall bought in but as it turns out it all unravelled in 2018 a lot of which was due to Trestman’s stubbornness and Ricky Ray’s injury.
Having said all this Trestman had to go, Argos would not be a better team with him as HC right now IMO.

AngeloV
02-18-2021, 12:41 PM
The stars aligned perfectly for the Argonauts in 2017, Trestman and Popp came in as the “dynamic duo” coupled with some astute player additions such as Bear Woods, SJ Green, Bear Woods the return of Marcus Ball and James Wilder.
Ricky Ray had a fantastic season and the players overall bought in but as it turns out it all unravelled in 2018 a lot of which was due to Trestman’s stubbornness and Ricky Ray’s injury.
Having said all this Trestman had to go, Argos would not be a better team with him as HC right now IMO.

I think people also forget that the Argos were 4-7 before Trestman finally decided to give Wilder an opportunity at RB, and his explosion at the position is what turned the season around. Trestman in his stubborn ways had Wilder behind a Whitaker on his depth chart because he knew Whitaker from his Montreal days. IMO, it was more luck than a stroke of genius that the change was made. I don't think Trestman ever wanted to make that change.

paulwoods13
02-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Unlike the last time the Argonauts signed a "QB Of The Future" back in 2018, when the HC disrespected the new QB at his first press conference, and things just got worse from there.

The Professor did that? Say it ain't so!

(Just tweaking ya, Rich . . . )

Bleeds Double Blue
02-18-2021, 03:15 PM

I think he would as well.

AngeloV
02-18-2021, 05:12 PM

I think he would as well.

I like Loffler, but I would rather see what Woodson can do there. He's earned the right, and to me has been a great tackler, which is something very important in a safety. Big hits are so overrated, yet some think it's the most important aspect of playing safety. I don't subscribe to that theory.

Woodson also provides more flexibility if you want to rotate based on certain blitzes, having lined up at both corner and half as an Argo.

OV Argo
02-18-2021, 06:42 PM
Oops

:shhhh:

Wobbler
02-18-2021, 07:14 PM
Things are going so well, OV has to use his imagination to find something to complain about. Happy days indeed. ;)

OV Argo
02-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Things are going so well, OV has to use his imagination to find something to complain about. Happy days indeed. ;)

NO !!! - I'm quite happy we got a "ratio buster" in Judge. Order in the courtroom ...

Wobbler
02-18-2021, 10:31 PM
I enjoyed your original (pre-edit) post, OV - I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm sure you'll have plenty to complain about when the draft happens. Hang in there, man! ;)

Rich
02-20-2021, 01:31 AM

I like Loffler, but I would rather see what Woodson can do there. He's earned the right, and to me has been a great tackler, which is something very important in a safety. Big hits are so overrated, yet some think it's the most important aspect of playing safety. I don't subscribe to that theory.

Woodson also provides more flexibility if you want to rotate based on certain blitzes, having lined up at both corner and half as an Argo.

Why not have both? You can't have too much depth. Loffler will be lucky to sign for half of what he got in Montreal and besides, money seems to be no object for the Argonauts.

Rich
02-20-2021, 01:43 AM
The Professor did that? Say it ain't so!

(Just tweaking ya, Rich . . . )

Yer right Paul, my man crush on The Nutty Professor soured pretty quickly. I would add that what happened this year with Belichick and Brady certainly sheds a revealing light on Trestman's legacy.

Anyway love the Cam Judge pick-up, he can play all over the field, his experience playing off Charleston could be a key ingredient of the D this year.

carlos
02-20-2021, 04:43 AM
Yer right Paul, my man crush on The Nutty Professor soured pretty quickly. I would add that what happened this year with Belichick and Brady certainly sheds a revealing light on Trestman's legacy.

Huge assumption.

And Dinwiddie is the real deal.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8