PDA

View Full Version : Former CFL QB Jackson named to Canada's Walk of Fame

Will
06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=398850

TORONTO -- One of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play in the CFL will be part of Canada's Walk of Fame.

Russ Jackson, the Hamilton native who guided the Ottawa Roughriders to three Grey Cup titles, was named among six 2012 inductees. Also to be inducted Sept. 22 are the 1972 Canadian hockey team that defeated Russia in the infamous Summit Series, musicians Randy Bachman and Sarah McLachlan, comedian Phil Hartman and ballet dancer Sonia Rodriguez.

Jackson, 75, spent his entire 12-year CFL career with Ottawa, leading the club to Grey Cup titles in 1960, 1968 and 1969. Jackson and the Riders also appeared in the 1966 contest but lost 29-14 to Saskatchewan, the Roughriders' first-ever league championship.

Jackson was named the CFL's top Canadian four times and its outstanding player on three occasions. A three-time league all-star, Jackson also received the Grey Cup MVP award in 1969.

Jackson captured the Lou Marsh award as Canada's top athlete in 1969 and received the Order of Canada in 1970.

He was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1973 and was named to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame two years later.

"On behalf of the Canadian Football League and our fans across the country, I want to congratulate Russ Jackson on the news he is to be inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame," CFL commissioner Mark Cohon said in a statement. "Mr. Jackson is a source of pride and a symbol of excellence for all of us who love the great game of Canadian football.

"This latest honour comes in a year we are celebrating the 100th Grey Cup game -- an appropriate time for Jackson to become the first CFL legend to be inducted in Canada's Walk of Fame."

Well deserved! Somewhat surprised he is the first CFL'er to be inducted to the Walk of Fame. He was on the radio with Cohon and Hogan yesterday, I am looking forward to the documentary about the 1969 Grey Cup that they will air. It incorporates the political situation in Canada at the time. The rumor is that there were R.C.M.P snipers in the light standards at the Autostade that day because P.E.T was there. Also, there may have been some too at the 2nd game of the Eastern Final against the Argos that year. Hogan and Cohon joked that it's a good thing that Jackson didn't see them, but it would seem that the Argos did. That was the "act of G-D" game I think.

Glad that Hartman also got a Star! He was brilliant on Saturday Night Live with him Dana Carvey, Mike Myers and others making the late 1980's and early 1990's one of the memorable times on the show.

ArgoRavi
06-21-2012, 11:11 AM
I had read somewhere previously that the FLQ had threatened Russ Jackson's life. Anyway, it is about time that Canada's Walk of Fame acknowledged the CFL's existence.

ticatfan
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
This is great news. Well deserved.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8