PDA

View Full Version : Cuts by other teams - Do any Interest us?

Mulder
06-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Montreal announced some cuts

WR T.Patterson, QB K.Quinlan, WR Q.Richardson, QB S.Riddle, WR S.Stewart, DB C.J. Washington, FB J.Zaleski
OL R.Alexander, DB V.Cuff, WR C.Davis, QB K.Graves, DT J.Hartsell, WR F.Huggins, DB D.Hollohan

I'd say Quinlan is a surprise, he may stick around on a PR though.

ArgoRavi
06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Montreal announced some cuts

WR T.Patterson, QB K.Quinlan, WR Q.Richardson, QB S.Riddle, WR S.Stewart, DB C.J. Washington, FB J.Zaleski
OL R.Alexander, DB V.Cuff, WR C.Davis, QB K.Graves, DT J.Hartsell, WR F.Huggins, DB D.Hollohan

I'd say Quinlan is a surprise, he may stick around on a PR though.

Quinlan's release was expected as the plan all along it seemed, at least from what I read in the Montreal media, was for him to go to a camp this year and then return to McMaster for his fifth and final season of CIS eligibility. Dave Naylor said on TSN that Montreal retains first right of refusal on his CFL rights once the CIS season is over.

Mulder
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Quinlan's release was expected as the plan all along it seemed, at least from what I read in the Montreal media, was for him to go to a camp this year and then return to McMaster for his fifth and final season of CIS eligibility. Dave Naylor said on TSN that Montreal retains first right of refusal on his CFL rights once the CIS season is over.

I didn't know he had a year left. Makes more sense for him to go back as well

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Pass. I actually wanted the Argos to draft Hollohan so maybe he'll get a look lol.

argotom
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
With the Cats being stacked at receiver, we should anxiously await their cuts and stomp on who they release.

jerrym
06-22-2012, 01:54 AM
I agree Argotom.

ArgoGabe22
06-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Kenyon Rambo anyone?

It appears that Ken-Yon Rambo's time with the Calgary Stampeders has come to an end.

The veteran wide receiver has an achilles injury and according to a source, an arrangement has been reached on his release from the Stampeders. The source says that papers will be signed on Saturday to officially end his time in Calgary.
Rambo, 33, did not make the trip to Regina for Friday's pre-season game between the Stampeders and Roughriders. He instead saw doctors in Calgary about his knee.
Rambo appeared in 12 games last year for the Stampeders, where he had 51 catches for 695 yards and five touchdowns.
He has spent all seven of his CFL seasons with Calgary, where he was a CFL all-star in 2008. He is in the top 10 of most of Calgary's all-time receiving records.

OV Argo
06-23-2012, 01:32 AM

Quinlan going back to Mac would be huge for them; he won't ever make it in the CFL IMO - maybe the Als bring him back next year as an extra arm for TC again though.

I'll bet on Sinopoli getting cut by the Stamps too - 2 straight ex. games where he has been the 4th stringer behind the new raw rookie import QB (Mitchell) the Stamps brought in - Sinopoli did not play at all tonight after leading the Stamps to a late win last game; could be kept on their PR maybe but i suspect he is done in terms of ever getting to play in a CFL reg. season game - made it for one year as a 3rd stringer on a CFL roster anyways but didn't play a down.

ArgoRavi
06-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Quinlan going back to Mac would be huge for them; he won't ever make it in the CFL IMO - maybe the Als bring him back next year as an extra arm for TC again though.

I'll bet on Sinopoli getting cut by the Stamps too - 2 straight ex. games where he has been the 4th stringer behind the new raw rookie import QB (Mitchell) the Stamps brought in - Sinopoli did not play at all tonight after leading the Stamps to a late win last game; could be kept on their PR maybe but i suspect he is done in terms of ever getting to play in a CFL reg. season game - made it for one year as a 3rd stringer on a CFL roster anyways but didn't play a down.

Sinopoli did play a bit during an October game, according to TSN anyway. It will be interesting to see what the Stamps do with that third QB position. Mitchell has reportedly had a strong camp in all fairness to him.

As for Rambo, if he is injured as appears to be the case, he would not likely be an option for the Argos. If Terrence Jeffers-Harris is let go by Hamilton, I could see the Argos making a play for him.

paulwoods13
06-23-2012, 12:07 PM
If Terrence Jeffers-Harris is let go by Hamilton, I could see the Argos making a play for him.

Drew Edwards is reporting that TJH was in fact released by Ham. I agree he is worth a look.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

ArgoRavi
06-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Well, the Argos are going to evaluate Rambo tomorrow to see where he is with his health. If he isn't going to be out for long, they might just sign him: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=399171

Will
06-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Well, the Argos are going to evaluate Rambo tomorrow to see where he is with his health. If he isn't going to be out for long, they might just sign him: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=399171

This probably deserves it's own thread.

matthew
06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd like to give Rambo a try.

Invader
06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Rambo could be a top echelon receiver for the Argos. Guys with his ability, speed and experience don't come over the waiver wire that often. TJH also would be an upgrade. It's the Argos good fortune that the Ticats were overstocked at receiver and could let TJH go. He's exactly the type of receiver everybody is looking for and he's only 24. His biggest transgression was he wanted to go to the NFL. Both these players would be a great pickup for the Argos. It might be a stab in the back to the current receivers who have slogged through training camp with the team, but better is better.

KCargosfan
06-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I would rather have TJH than Rambo. Much younger and no major injury issues.

OV Argo
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I would rather have TJH than Rambo. Much younger and no major injury issues.

Rambo has done way more in the CFL than Harris - but i'd agree Harris has flashed some talent and is worth a look - some Bummers fans site an attitude issue with the guy though.

Argos not scaring anyone with their receiving corps IMO - easily the least amount of proven CFL production of any receiving corps in the league; Barnes had a very good year last year so hopefully he carries on, but before that he didn't impress me much with the Esks; Mann handed a starting job because of some CFL experience and his familairity with Ray? - hopefully he doesn't drop a fraction of the passes he has in lots of CFL playing time; and Owens and every down receiver type - OK, maybe. Maybe Durie continues to improve and is used lots; time for new guy like Inman to step-up; i doubt Watt or Bradwell are thought of as anything more than depth or part-time receivers with a preference to play imports at receiver.

Hope i am dead wrong though and the Argos have a great passing attack; got Ricky Ray-gun - but can the O-line buy him time too? -another factor.

ArgoGabe22
06-24-2012, 11:24 PM
If healthy, well I know he's injured but if he can recover I like this move. Only problem is we look like a team that picks up other teams scraps which is fine as long as they produce, I'm happy.

ArgoGabe22
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Now I'm confused. I read that Ameet Pall (5th pick overall) was on the supposed rehab list and was cut. Now I hear he's signed with Montreal. Is he the highest pick to get cut after his first training camp? I only heard good things and surprised to see Calgary give up on him so soon.

bluto
06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Now I'm confused. I read that Ameet Pall (5th pick overall) was on the supposed rehab list and was cut. Now I hear he's signed with Montreal. Is he the highest pick to get cut after his first training camp? I only heard good things and surprised to see Calgary give up on him so soon.

he was hurt in TC... evidently he didn't like Huffnagel's idea of being on Calgary's PR... Huff gambled and the Montreal kid went home to La Belle Province

AngeloV
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Rambo has done way more in the CFL than Harris - but i'd agree Harris has flashed some talent and is worth a look - some Bummers fans site an attitude issue with the guy though.

Argos not scaring anyone with their receiving corps IMO - easily the least amount of proven CFL production of any receiving corps in the league; Barnes had a very good year last year so hopefully he carries on, but before that he didn't impress me much with the Esks; Mann handed a starting job because of some CFL experience and his familairity with Ray? - hopefully he doesn't drop a fraction of the passes he has in lots of CFL playing time; and Owens and every down receiver type - OK, maybe. Maybe Durie continues to improve and is used lots; time for new guy like Inman to step-up; i doubt Watt or Bradwell are thought of as anything more than depth or part-time receivers with a preference to play imports at receiver.

Hope i am dead wrong though and the Argos have a great passing attack; got Ricky Ray-gun - but can the O-line buy him time too? -another factor.

It may be the optimist in me, but I think the Argos receivers are way better than they showed last year. I will stick with my theory that it was not a personnel problem on offence as much as it was a coaching problem. Argos ran a high school offence the last 2 years, and now they have someone that knows what he is doing in terms of game planning.

gilthethrill
06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
he was hurt in TC... evidently he didn't like Huffnagel's idea of being on Calgary's PR... Huff gambled and the Montreal kid went home to La Belle Province

That will really tick Huff off...hard to swallow losing a 1st round pick that way.

It may be the optimist in me, but I think the Argos receivers are way better than they showed last year. I will stick with my theory that it was not a personnel problem on offence as much as it was a coaching problem. Argos ran a high school offence the last 2 years, and now they have someone that knows what he is doing in terms of game planning.

Game planning will be miles ahead of last year for sure, but I also think the quality of personel in the receiver core is better. Not relying on James Robinson, Todd Lowber or PK Sam who had prior stints with team indicates an improvement on our roster.

KCargosfan
06-25-2012, 07:20 PM
That will really tick Huff off...hard to swallow losing a 1st round pick that way.

If Calgary didn't want to lose him, they should have put him on the 9-game injured list. What a mind-blowing dumb move by Hufnagel and the Stamps. People bitch about our draft, well, Calgary just gave up its 1st round pick for nothing. Dumb.

ArgoRavi
06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
If Calgary didn't want to lose him, they should have put him on the 9-game injured list. What a mind-blowing dumb move by Hufnagel and the Stamps. People bitch about our draft, well, Calgary just gave up its 1st round pick for nothing. Dumb.

That seems to be the general sentiment on Twitter as well. Hufnagel isn't getting much sympathy from anyone it seems.

KCargosfan
06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
That seems to be the general sentiment on Twitter as well. Hufnagel isn't getting much sympathy from anyone it seems.

Nor should he. Hamilton has 8 guys on the 1-game injury list and 4 guys on the 9-game. Don't tell me it's $$ reasons, either, Stamps fans, what was Pall going to make this year, $55K?

Could you imagine if Barker did this? People on here would be demanding his head on a platter.

doubleblue
06-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Angus was originally drafted by the Toronto Argonauts fourth overall in the 2001 CFL Draft. He was released by the Argos after his initial training camp and was signed by Montreal in July 2001. In July that year, he was traded to BC by the Alouettes along with a fifth round pick in exchange for defensive lineman Adriano Belli.

Montreal did the same thing back in 2001 when they grabbed Angus Reid from the Argos. The Argos were quite upset at the time, as they wanted to keep Reid around. I guess the lesson here is don't release your #1 draft pick, put him on the injured list.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8