PDA

View Full Version : War Room Story 2021

Mike Hogan
05-06-2021, 08:39 AM
The fly-on-the-wall draft story has become my favourite article of the year.

This year's draft was a wild ride. Here's a look from the inside.

Enjoy!

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/05/05/hogan-inside-2021-draft-war-room/

AngeloV
05-06-2021, 11:37 AM
Thanks for posting Hogie. I love these stories.

jerrym
05-06-2021, 01:25 PM
Thanks again Mike for another great story.

Mocha
05-06-2021, 07:26 PM
I'll third that thanks. I quite enjoyed reading that piece.

Wobbler
05-08-2021, 08:08 PM
I was a bit surprised to read that OL was the clear priority going into the draft, but perhaps I shouldn't have been. Of the previous/recent selections (Churchill, Giffen, Richards, Simba, and Starczala), only two were picked early. At this point, however, the Argos really do seem to have a lot of potential at this position.

CrazyCanuck89
05-09-2021, 02:31 PM
I was a bit surprised to read that OL was the clear priority going into the draft, but perhaps I shouldn't have been. Of the previous/recent selections (Churchill, Giffen, Richards, Simba, and Starczala), only two were picked early. At this point, however, the Argos really do seem to have a lot of potential at this position.

The Argo's seem to be deep everywhere. I heard experts say DB is a weakness, but they have Colquhoun, Boateng and Woodson, which is great depth.

I guess depth along the Oline is nice too have, Blake is mid 30s and seems like a stopgap for a younger guy. RG and RT may still be up for grabs.

OV Argo
05-09-2021, 03:53 PM
The Argo's seem to be deep everywhere. I heard experts say DB is a weakness, but they have Colquhoun, Boateng and Woodson, which is great depth.

I guess depth along the Oline is nice too have, Blake is mid 30s and seems like a stopgap for a younger guy. RG and RT may still be up for grabs.

The Argos did add a DB in Hagerty who might be a pretty decent safety prospect (like the 6-3 frame). Might have tried to grab a higher rated safety with an earlier pick.

The Argos were pretty deep at most Canadian position groups; and no big surprise they went CFL draft typical and added more O-line depth - Nicastro was an all-star interior O-lineman, so might be a good fit there as opposed to converted OT types like Simba, Richards, Starczala tried in the interior; and with the off-season additions of Blake, Bladek & Speller, they now have so much depth - at both interior O-Line and Canadians who can play OT.

Might have been nice to get a DT in the draft, but it was not a deep crop there at all; Vilain is more of a DE, but wouldn't be surprised to see him converted to DT to at least go along with Foote. with all the import DE talent the Argos have collected recently, hard to picture any Canadians getting much playing time there - maybe one will be kept as depth (Robbie Smith vs. Vilain?)

Argos were allready loaded with NI receiver talent but sill added another good prospect in Nield (big target).

IF these were old CFL days with a majority of Canadians on the roster and 10 or more NI starters - the Argos would be in great shape IMO.

Will
05-19-2021, 04:35 PM
I always enjoy Mike's war room stories! Thanks for sharing!

Argo57
05-19-2021, 05:19 PM
The Argos did add a DB in Hagerty who might be a pretty decent safety prospect (like the 6-3 frame). Might have tried to grab a higher rated safety with an earlier pick.

The Argos were pretty deep at most Canadian position groups; and no big surprise they went CFL draft typical and added more O-line depth - Nicastro was an all-star interior O-lineman, so might be a good fit there as opposed to converted OT types like Simba, Richards, Starczala tried in the interior; and with the off-season additions of Blake, Bladek & Speller, they now have so much depth - at both interior O-Line and Canadians who can play OT.

Might have been nice to get a DT in the draft, but it was not a deep crop there at all; Vilain is more of a DE, but wouldn't be surprised to see him converted to DT to at least go along with Foote. with all the import DE talent the Argos have collected recently, hard to picture any Canadians getting much playing time there - maybe one will be kept as depth (Robbie Smith vs. Vilain?)

Argos were allready loaded with NI receiver talent but sill added another good prospect in Nield (big target).

IF these were old CFL days with a majority of Canadians on the roster and 10 or more NI starters - the Argos would be in great shape IMO.

They have done an excellent job overall in upgrading their Canadian talent overall, I have no issue with their strategy of adding young quality O-Linemen through the draft.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8