PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts ink WR Desriveaux and LB McCune

Will
06-22-2012, 11:57 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=398963

paulwoods13
06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Good move for sure on Desriveaux, who IMO was under-utilized in Mtl because of the glut of good receivers and their distribution of imports and non-imports. He provides good depth, at least, until Durie gets healthy, and might be able to compete for PT with Watt and Bradwell. I don't know much about McCune but it can't hurt to bring in someone else who knows Jones's defence.

CptArcher
06-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Amazing move by acquiring Desriveaux, at a position we were suffering because of injuries. Now if we could ink Boulay, that would definitely be a group of Canadians capable of competing for a Grey Cup, with the them and the O-Line, Durie, Foley, Pottinger, Watt and Johnson all capable of seeing significant action.

EDIT: For some reason, I thought we were talking about Deslauriers. This severely diminishes my excitement.

Oarsman
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't know a lot about McCune either, but according to some of the Stamps fans - he was a beast and they are sad to see him go. I did a google search on him and found some video - the guys is a specimen for sure: Take a look at these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEI--3dgiL0
He benches 405lbs with no warm up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVM64jfike4

1argoholic
06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Following Calgary pretty strongly in our house as my wife is a huge Stamps fan so I know McCune is a BEAST! I like both of these signings. More cuts to come I guess.

ArgoRavi
06-22-2012, 07:21 PM
I guess that Desriveaux's signing makes it less likely that Kerry Carter will be added. ;)

OV Argo
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Desriveaux showed a bit for the Als when he got some playing time a couple of years back - hardly stellar but he didn't play that much; not sure he is close to an upgrade over the likes of Bradwell, Watt or Feoli-Gudino (assuming the Argos keep him around) - but worth a look and Millanovich should know him well.

McCune has played both DE and MLB for the Stamps - and much better at DE IMO; getting on in years, but a big, strong athletic guy - and again - familiarity with Jones knowing him was probably key to bringing him in.

Would have liked to have seen the Argos bring in Stamps cut John Bender for a look - huge OG who was a starter in Div I ball, but didn't pan out for the Stamps as a top type draft pick; hard to belive this guy couldn't compete for some playing time with the Argos if they are looking at the likes of Keeping or Eppelle as starters on the interior ?

gilthethrill
06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
I like McCune in Calgary, his only downfall is that he is 33....but yes a beast is accurate in describing this former United States soldier.

paulwoods13
06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
hard to belive this guy couldn't compete for some playing time with the Argos if they are looking at the likes of Keeping or Eppelle as starters on the interior ?

OV, what has Eppele done to deserve your constant derision?

OV Argo
06-22-2012, 10:33 PM
OV, what has Eppele done to deserve your constant derision?

"derision" ??? - what, you want me to annoint him a sure-fire superstar starter ??? I hope he pans out as an Argo starter - maybe at OG, but he was an OT - who didn't play that much there in US college ball; compared to Bender who was a top notch starting OG on a big DI program; so you're surprised that i might think it would be a decent idea to bring in Bender - of the far superior resume as an actual offensive guard compared to Eppele - for at least a look or a chance to compete. Sorry for going by previous play or football accomplishments when considering individual football players, but I prefer that over being a team party line guy who buys everything the team's thinkers are selling. You think Jeff Keeping is a serious starting O-Line prospect over some other O-Linemen the Argos could have drafted or even picked-up from other teams' cuts (eg. the Bombers recently signed FA Adam Rogers - former repeat CIS all-star O-Lineman with some CFL roster experience) ???

argolio
06-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Desriveaux looks to be insurance due to our injured Canadian receivers (Durie, Hurst, Feoli-Gudino, Kouame).

I like the McCune signing. He impressed me with the Stamps.

Still no one named to the practice squad, so no doubt we'll see a few more moves.

Wobbler
06-22-2012, 11:29 PM
OV:

There seems to be something wrong with Bender. As you pointed out, he is credentialed (high CFL draft pick, some NFL interest, good college career) and huge, but Calgary has dumped him. Normally a player like that gets another chance elsewhere, in the hope that there was a personality conflict or that a wakeup call has been received, but... is it really worth inhibiting the O-Line chemistry we're trying to synthesize?

Like Paul, I don't understand why you would have any complaints about Eppele's performance. He looked great at guard last year, which is the most meaningful "football accomplishment" I can think of. His experience at tackle is an asset, not a liability; it wouldn't surprise me if he communicated well with Van Zeyl and might replace him one day.

Even a poster the likes of OV Argo should realize that some phrasing is inherently dismissive or derisive. (heh heh)

OV Argo
06-22-2012, 11:45 PM
OV:

There seems to be something wrong with Bender. As you pointed out, he is credentialed (high CFL draft pick, some NFL interest, good college career) and huge, but Calgary has dumped him. Normally a player like that gets another chance elsewhere, in the hope that there was a personality conflict or that a wakeup call has been received, but... is it really worth inhibiting the O-Line chemistry we're trying to synthesize?

Like Paul, I don't understand why you would have any complaints about Eppele's performance. He looked great at guard last year, which is the most meaningful "football accomplishment" I can think of. His experience at tackle is an asset, not a liability; it wouldn't surprise me if he communicated well with Van Zeyl and might replace him one day.

Even a poster the likes of OV Argo should realize that some phrasing is inherently dismissive or derisive. (heh heh)

I thought it might be an idea to bring in a guy like Bender for a look - nice credentials yes, but who knows?; and where have i ever "dumped" on Eppele? - some say he played "great" when he was in at OG last year - maybe so, and i don't know as O-Line is tough to judge maybe? I really hope he's an Argo draft pick who pans out as a very good player (starter) or even a quality back-up. But i don't see anything wrong with considering other available players to maybe help out the Argos in an area of need? - or is O-line a great area of strength on this team? Argos could have drafted Matt Norman - huge, repeat CIS all-star OG who sounds like he may move in as a starter for the Lions as a rookie with their injury problems there; but Barker saw Cleon Laing as the better draft pick i guess; Alexandre gets cut as an Argo DT prospect, so maybe Laing gets a real shot there next year if he shows? - at least as a back-up anyways, cause i think Barker may have DT pencilled if for imports only in terms of playing time; interior O-Linemen = NIs pencilled in for playing time - so why don't you draft or FA sign as many good prospects as possible there?

AngeloV
06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
You think Jeff Keeping is a serious starting O-Line prospect over some other O-Linemen the Argos could have drafted or even picked-up from other teams' cuts (eg. the Bombers recently signed FA Adam Rogers - former repeat CIS all-star O-Lineman with some CFL roster experience) ???

I'm sure many people thought the same thing about Jamie Taras with B.C. who was also a late bloomer at centre, after starting his career at FB.

OV Argo
06-23-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm sure many people thought the same thing about Jamie Taras with B.C. who was also a late bloomer at centre, after starting his career at FB.

Sure - Keeping could emerge as another Taras - i hope so. But still - you think that hope vetoes the thought of signing the likes of Bender or Rogers - accomplished college ball O-Linemen -; or drafting Norman or Mederios - for a shot to compete?

ArgoRavi
06-23-2012, 12:21 AM
OV, Rogers has been released by the Bombers. Matt Norman is only available for the first half of the season before he heads to teachers college in the fall so he wouldn't have been much of an answer for the Argos this season. Keeping has been an o-lineman for several years now and obviously the Argos and the Als, at one time, have seen enough in him to keep him around. As for Bender, apparently the Stamps were less than enamoured with him considering that they released him. I don't doubt that he will resurface somewhere but sometimes college stats and all-star awards aren't all that they are cracked up to be when it comes to being a professional.

OV Argo
06-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Ravi - do you really believe that Norman is going to sign-up for a CFL TC and then find out he is not only going to make the roster, but maybe get a shot to start; and then play for a few months only to say: "sorry guys, i'm quitting the team to go to teacher's college" ??? - you think he would do that or Wally would be OK with that ??? Did one of your expert CFL media sources tell you that's how it's going to play out? And yeah - maybe the likes of Bender or Rogers are total bums/stiffs who have no business competing with Keeping for a spot with the Argos.

I find you maybe somtimes put a bit too much stock into what you read or hear from a lot of these "expert" sources you like to check-out; sorry, but IMO a lot of these football reporters who cover the CFL often know dick-all about the game, but they are i guess fine "journalists" = they can swallow and spit out a lot of cliched wisdom or team shill/PR garbage that they get fed (Naylor being a fine example).

paulwoods13
06-23-2012, 07:01 AM
OV, you have never said a good word about Eppele beyond that you "hope" he pans out.

You are one of the guys who has advocated basing opinions on actual on-field performance rather than "credentials" -- something I agree with. Eppele's on-field performance last season at RG was good -- did you not see it with your own eyes?

gilthethrill
06-23-2012, 08:02 AM
OV, correct me if I am mistaken, but were you upset that Eppele ended up in Toronto instead of Shomari Williams? As for Matt Norman, he is only starting due to injuries on the B.C. O-Line, I expect him to struggle, despite his strong CIS resume. I agree with Ravi, he will leave the Lions in September for the classroom. This is a league where Canadian kids refuse to report after being drafted so they use up their final year of eligability.

Guys like Adam Rogers are fringe players at best who are not an upgrade, Bender sort of reminds me of Mark Mroz, strong NCAA experience but never really panned out.

ArgoRavi
06-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Getting back to Desriveaux, where he may be especially useful to the Argos is on special teams as he is an excellent player in that area. Perhaps he will help fill the void left by Bryan Crawford's retirement.

OV Argo
06-23-2012, 12:42 PM
OV, correct me if I am mistaken, but were you upset that Eppele ended up in Toronto instead of Shomari Williams? As for Matt Norman, he is only starting due to injuries on the B.C. O-Line, I expect him to struggle, despite his strong CIS resume. I agree with Ravi, he will leave the Lions in September for the classroom. This is a league where Canadian kids refuse to report after being drafted so they use up their final year of eligability.

Guys like Adam Rogers are fringe players at best who are not an upgrade, Bender sort of reminds me of Mark Mroz, strong NCAA experience but never really panned out.

You could well be right on both the Norman situation, and about (Rogers) - but i'd argue he is no less a "fringe" player than either Keeping or Eppele are at this point - until we see one of them step-up and be a solid starter in the league with actual playing time - like Paul says Eppele was last year (others said so about Coughman too - sorry i didn't see either stand-out at all for the Argos, but i'm no O-line expert). And yes I'm more impressed with actual playing time at the CFL level than college ball credentials; but until we get to see a guy play in the CFL things like college ball accomplishments or E-Camp test #s and measurements are something to go by; and Rogers has the way better resume IMO as an O-Lineman than either or Keeping or Eppele; and so does Norman; and you don't know that Rogers would not be an upgrade over Keeping or Eppele if you OR the coaching staff haven't seen him compete on the same team/TC; obviously though, this particular coaching staff does not know or think enough of him to bring him in for a chance to compete and i guess they're pretty good with the interior O-line depth they have.

And as far as Williams - the Argos had no chance to draft him so how could i be upset - they didn't choose Eppele over him? But as far as 1st rounder type material IMO Williams made way more sense than Argo picks like Eppele or Laing - guys who had proven little in college ball (other than making a Div I roster).

Argos
06-23-2012, 04:21 PM
I was stunned when McCune was let go by Calgary. That's a huge acquisition for the Argos! He was the victim of the numbers game with the Stampeders, three guys for two spots and all were very solid. He will have an impact here!

ArgoRavi
06-23-2012, 08:06 PM
You could well be right on both the Norman situation, and about (Rogers) - but i'd argue he is no less a "fringe" player than either Keeping or Eppele are at this point - until we see one of them step-up and be a solid starter in the league with actual playing time - like Paul says Eppele was last year (others said so about Coughman too - sorry i didn't see either stand-out at all for the Argos, but i'm no O-line expert). And yes I'm more impressed with actual playing time at the CFL level than college ball credentials; but until we get to see a guy play in the CFL things like college ball accomplishments or E-Camp test #s and measurements are something to go by; and Rogers has the way better resume IMO as an O-Lineman than either or Keeping or Eppele; and so does Norman; and you don't know that Rogers would not be an upgrade over Keeping or Eppele if you OR the coaching staff haven't seen him compete on the same team/TC; obviously though, this particular coaching staff does not know or think enough of him to bring him in for a chance to compete and i guess they're pretty good with the interior O-line depth they have.

I am sure that if the Argos thought that Rogers was an upgrade over what they presently have, they would have brought him in before Winnipeg did. The Bombers won't scare anyone with their o-line and they have released Rogers. I believe that three different teams have released Rogers over the last two or three years so that would indicate that he is very much a fringe player at best IMO.

OV Argo
06-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I am sure that if the Argos thought that Rogers was an upgrade over what they presently have, they would have brought him in before Winnipeg did. The Bombers won't scare anyone with their o-line and they have released Rogers. I believe that three different teams have released Rogers over the last two or three years so that would indicate that he is very much a fringe player at best IMO.

And if the Argos thinkers thought the likes of Rob Bagg or Kyle Koch or Chris Getlaf would have been able to compete or maybe upgrades over the likes of what they had - they could have drafted them - but they didn't and clearly these players are easily better than players the Argos have had on the roster and deployed. The Argos' "thinkers" aren't always inscrutable football geniuses Ravi - though you may feel they are beyond question. And if Jeff Keeping is a better O-Lineman than Koch or Rogers for example ... then, er, i guess he's just a superior football player / athlete to some football decision makers.

ArgoRavi
06-24-2012, 03:42 AM
And if the Argos thinkers thought the likes of Rob Bagg or Kyle Koch or Chris Getlaf would have been able to compete or maybe upgrades over the likes of what they had - they could have drafted them - but they didn't and clearly these players are easily better than players the Argos have had on the roster and deployed. The Argos' "thinkers" aren't always inscrutable football geniuses Ravi - though you may feel they are beyond question. And if Jeff Keeping is a better O-Lineman than Koch or Rogers for example ... then, er, i guess he's just a superior football player / athlete to some football decision makers.

One can't help but conclude that Keeping is better than Rogers considering how many teams have found Rogers wanting over the last couple of years. Just because a guy has been an all-star at the NCAA or CIS level, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will be a starter at the pro level and not being an all-star at those levels doesn't necessarily mean that they can't be a pro either. The amateur and pro levels are really two different levels and projecting players is obviously not an exact science.

gilthethrill
06-24-2012, 09:13 AM
And as far as Williams - the Argos had no chance to draft him so how could i be upset - they didn't choose Eppele over him? But as far as 1st rounder type material IMO Williams made way more sense than Argo picks like Eppele or Laing - guys who had proven little in college ball (other than making a Div I roster).

OV, I thought the Argos held the #1 pick that year, but traded it to Saskatchewan in order to have the #2 & #3 picks...speculation prior to the draft was they were going to use the #1 pick to draft Williams....if I am mistaken you can fill my ears with jam & tie me to an ant hill.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8