PDA

View Full Version : Transactions / Injuries thread (2021 TC + Regular season)

Will
07-09-2021, 05:31 PM
Long live the Canadian Football League!
Long live the Toronto Argonauts!

You don't know how good it feels to post this thread!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It's officially football szn </p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/1413603982552059919?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
07-10-2021, 09:06 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The following players have been added to the suspended list:<br>AME WR Brandon Sheperd<br>AME WR Keyarris Garrett<br>AME WR Martavis Bryant<br>AME WR Kendall Wright<br>AME DB James Sample<br>CDN LB Nelkas Kwemo<br>CDNLB Nick Shortill<br>CDN DB Robert Woodson</p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts Media Relations (@ArgonautsMR) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArgonautsMR/status/1413835531960700930?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 10, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
07-10-2021, 01:18 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coach Dinwiddie confirms that Martavis Bryant is having passport issues and will hopefully join camp soon. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PullTogether?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PullTogether</a></p>&mdash; Sean Bowen (@Bonsie24) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bonsie24/status/1413907858446561286?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 10, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
07-11-2021, 05:02 PM
Bishop Sankey was added to the Retired list yesterday. With Karlos Williams also gone, Kenneth Dixon is the last man standing among the former NFL starters vying for the RB job. John White can do the job, but I hope that a Plan B emerges.

AngeloV
07-11-2021, 06:39 PM
Bishop Sankey was added to the Retired list yesterday. With Karlos Williams also gone, Kenneth Dixon is the last man standing among the former NFL starters vying for the RB job. John White can do the job, but I hope that a Plan B emerges.

AJ Oulette looked pretty good in limited action last year. Catches and blocks well. I bet he makes the roster barring injury.

jerrym
07-17-2021, 01:54 AM
Time seems to be running out for Martavis Bryant.

Time is running out on Martavis Bryant having the chance to earn a roster spot with the Toronto Argonauts for the start of the 2021 CFL season.

The former NFL receiver was placed on the suspended list by the Argos for failing to report to training camp when it opened Saturday, July 16.

“We’ve had some contact with him. I’m getting a little impatient with the thing. We need to get him up here now if he’s going to make an impact on our team,” Dinwiddie said. “The ball is in his court, he needs to get his passport and get those things squared away. We’ll see how that’s going to play out.”
https://3downnation.com/2021/07/15/argos-head-coach-ryan-dinwiddie-growing-impatient-with-former-nfl-receiver-martavis-bryant/

AngeloV
07-17-2021, 03:07 AM
Time seems to be running out for Martavis Bryant.

https://3downnation.com/2021/07/15/argos-head-coach-ryan-dinwiddie-growing-impatient-with-former-nfl-receiver-martavis-bryant/

Cut him. He's obviously not taking it seriously.

Argo57
07-17-2021, 07:04 AM
Cut him. He's obviously not taking it seriously.

Well stated, don’t need this guy.

Will
07-17-2021, 12:13 PM
Cody Speller was added to the suspended list, which is concerning because he is the Argos projected starting centre. According to Ben Grant, he is dealing with a personal matter (as per Dinwiddie).

AngeloV
07-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Cody Speller was added to the suspended list, which is concerning because he is the Argos projected starting centre. According to Ben Grant, he is dealing with a personal matter (as per Dinwiddie).

It's good thing they have Philip Blake who can play center as well as guard. Aparently they are also grooming first round pick Nicastro as a center. If it's a personal matter keeping Speller away, I hope it's nothing too serious such as a family illness or anything like that. Let's hope it's just personal business.

Skinny G
07-18-2021, 11:03 PM
With all the WRs on the roster, wonder if they bother with Bryant or even Kendall Wright. They've come out an said that Bryant had passport issues, but no word on what the situation is with Wright as far as I know. Wonder if they are both part of tomorrow's cuts or not?

Shatto
07-18-2021, 11:42 PM
I'd suggest the five starting WR's will probably be--Rogers, Daniels, Collins and Brescacin and one other American receiver. I'd like to see the 5th WR be a Canadian (Noel/Brissett/Gittens) but I just don't see that happening. Unless Bryant arrives in camp very soon I concur with others that there are enough good young WR's in camp to make Bryant redundant.

AngeloV
07-19-2021, 10:35 AM
With all the WRs on the roster, wonder if they bother with Bryant or even Kendall Wright. They've come out an said that Bryant had passport issues, but no word on what the situation is with Wright as far as I know. Wonder if they are both part of tomorrow's cuts or not?

I would say good bye to them. To me, this reeks of head case.

Skinny G
07-19-2021, 11:03 AM
Trade - Alden Darby goes to Winnipeg for an American OL (Terry Poole)

Kind of sad to see Darby go, he was good at promoting the team. But I guess this makes it clear that the DBs are a stacked group this year!

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/07/19/trade-argos-acquire-ol-terry-poole-alden-darby/

AngeloV
07-19-2021, 11:15 AM
Trade - Alden Darby goes to Winnipeg for an American OL (Terry Poole)

Kind of sad to see Darby go, he was good at promoting the team. But I guess this makes it clear that the DBs are a stacked group this year!

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/07/19/trade-argos-acquire-ol-terry-poole-alden-darby/

Very sad to see Darby go. To lose someone so versatile and as you said so active in the community hurts. These are the kinds of guys you need to keep.

paulwoods13
07-19-2021, 11:26 AM
Very sad to see Darby go. To lose someone so versatile and as you said so active in the community hurts. These are the kinds of guys you need to keep.

Very sorry to lose him. This suggests we are not satisfied with our American OTs. I've never been a huge fan of Cage.

Will
07-19-2021, 11:33 AM
Ben Grant mentioned in a tweet to me that left tackle has "been a bit of a question mark."

Darby was a leader on the team and in the community so it is unfortunate to see him go.

My only question is that Poole hasn't taken a snap at the CFL level as yet so does he truly warrant a starter in return?

AngeloV
07-19-2021, 11:59 AM
Very sorry to lose him. This suggests we are not satisfied with our American OTs. I've never been a huge fan of Cage.

I'm not even talking about the on field aspect of this trade. You have an American player that makes his home in the city year round and promotes the team. And you trade him? I'd understand if he couldn't play, but he's a very good player too. Just a dumb, dumb move.

Not trying to compare him to Pinball, but if the Argos decided they had a chance to upgrade their team years ago and traded Pinball, the team may have already folded.

Will
07-19-2021, 12:17 PM
A projected starter in the Bombers DB Mercy Maston suffered a torn achilles (https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/07/19/maston-suffers-season-ending-torn-achilles/) over the weekend.

Perhaps the Bombers approached the Argonauts?

paulwoods13
07-19-2021, 01:06 PM
I'm not even talking about the on field aspect of this trade. You have an American player that makes his home in the city year round and promotes the team. And you trade him? I'd understand if he couldn't play, but he's a very good player too. Just a dumb, dumb move.

Not trying to compare him to Pinball, but if the Argos decided they had a chance to upgrade their team years ago and traded Pinball, the team may have already folded.

I hear you, but I don't think community appeal can trump playing ability. Darby is a very good player, but if he's grading out behind other DBs (not that I have any info suggesting he is), I don't see the community stuff being the deciding factor. I remember when the Argos let Steve Stapler go and kept the veteran Bob Gaddis, even though Stapler was having a sensational camp. Gaddis lasted only one more lacklustre season, and Stapler killed the Argos for quite a few seasons. The situations are not entirely analogous, but I think a case can be made that Gaddis was kept for reasons other than on-field performance.

Rich
07-19-2021, 02:04 PM
Wow, getting soaked again by another trade with Winnipeg. I’m surprised the Bombers didn’t throw in the rights to Drew Willy.

AngeloV
07-19-2021, 02:42 PM
I remember when the Argos let Steve Stapler go and kept the veteran Bob Gaddis, even though Stapler was having a sensational camp. Gaddis lasted only one more lacklustre season, and Stapler killed the Argos for quite a few seasons. The situations are not entirely analogous, but I think a case can be made that Gaddis was kept for reasons other than on-field performance.

Not exactly the best example there. Thought the Argos had a bad year when they made this decision, the rest of the decade can arguably be considered the best decade in Argos history, while Hamilton was mediocre at best.
And I'm not saying that Darby alone being here year round will make a big difference, but the Argos should hope to have many players do that. The fact that Darby is a really good player adds to my dislike for this move. From a football perspective, you're trading a bona fide starter for someone with no CFL experience. Might as well have traded Crezdon Butler here. He's a vet that likely won't make the team. The O-lineman they received wasn't going to start in Winnipeg with Bryant and Hardric there, why give up a starter for him?

Treblecharger1
07-19-2021, 02:46 PM
Not exactly the best example there. Thought the Argos had a bad year when they made this decision, the rest of the decade can arguably be considered the best decade in Argos history, while Hamilton was mediocre at best.

It is always a bummer when a guy like Darby goes. The Argos were going to be making some tough cuts this year and unfortunately this is one of them. To me it sounds like the Argos thought the could save some cap space at this spot with the depth they have in the backfield. Let's see if we have any other surprises tonight when cuts come in.

AngeloV
07-19-2021, 02:48 PM
It is always a bummer when a guy like Darby goes. The Argos were going to be making some tough cuts this year and unfortunately this is one of them. To me it sounds like the Argos thought the could save some cap space at this spot with the depth they have in the backfield. Let's see if we have any other surprises tonight when cuts come in.

It's the biggest problem with the CFL today. Too many one and done guys. I loved NCAA basketball when I was younger, but have paid zero attention to it for years because of this.

Shatto
07-19-2021, 03:16 PM
I must admit the Darby trade surprised me but it probably indicated a number of things:
. The coaches are not overwhelmed by the present talent at LT
. The team has a good number of veteran DB's (Daniel, Richardson, Edwards, Richards, Butler, Colquhoun, McCoil) and some young and hopefully talented younger DB's
. The team may have felt they couldn't keep all those vets, so get an asset in a trade now, rather than cutting one and getting nothing in return.
. The team is loaded with talent in most positions, so this may not be the last surprise release or trade

paulwoods13
07-19-2021, 03:35 PM
Might as well have traded Crezdon Butler here. He's a vet that likely won't make the team. The O-lineman they received wasn't going to start in Winnipeg with Bryant and Hardric there, why give up a starter for him?

That presupposes Darby is performing at least as well as Butler in camp. We don't know how any of the players are performing. As good as he has been for us, Darby might have seven or eight American DBs grading out ahead of him by now. Or he might be our best DB. We just don't know.

gilthethrill
07-19-2021, 05:07 PM
Obviously Winnipeg is happy paying vets Hardrick and Bryant to play OT instead of a cheaper option in Poole...that being said if Terry Poole (not to be confused with retired OF of the Houston Astros) was close to beating those vets out, he would not have been traded.

I would think an American OT could be found in FA instead of giving up a long serving, high performing player in Darby.

Argo57
07-19-2021, 06:13 PM
The Argos appear to have dealt from a perceived area of strength to address an area of need, having said that I still don’t cared for this trade at all.
Loyal Argonaut who played very well on a crappy team in 2019 and as others have mentioned really seemed to enjoy being in Toronto.
Let’s see how this plays out, if Poole wins the starting job and plays well then all is well….the jury is out on this one.

Argo57
07-19-2021, 06:41 PM
I must admit the Darby trade surprised me but it probably indicated a number of things:
. The team has a good number of veteran DB's (Daniel, Richardson, Edwards, Richards, Butler, Colquhoun, McCoil) and some young and hopefully talented younger DB's
. The team may have felt they couldn't keep all those vets, so get an asset in a trade now, rather than cutting one and getting nothing in return.
. The team is loaded with talent in most positions, so this may not be the last surprise release or trade

I think there is an element of truth in each of your points.
I expect more surprising moves from the Argonauts and other teams as well.

dmont
07-19-2021, 08:03 PM
My read is that Darby was scheduled to be cut. He likely has a high salary and was not performing sufficiently above some of the new guys making the minimum. Rather than get nothing for him, they saw the opportunity to trade for a prospect in an area of weakness. Isiah cage has been the LT on two years of 4/14 teams, so by all rights he should be on shaky ground.

I dont like seeing a good guy leave either, but this seems like a business decision. Look at it this way: if this move saves us the cap space, that's extra money allowing us to keep one of those other veterans that would otherwise be unaffordable. If Poole makes the team, that's a bonus.

Bleeds Double Blue
07-19-2021, 09:07 PM
This trade reminds us that above all else professional football is a business. I hate to see a stand up guy like Darby go but that's the nature f the game. I wish him all the best.

Skinny G
07-19-2021, 10:35 PM
No news in regards to any cuts, however we've added RB DJ Foster

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/07/19/argos-add-american-rb-d-j-foster/

Skinny G
07-19-2021, 10:42 PM

Agree with you! IMO I think the Argos do need to take into account whether a particular player is one of the faces of the team in the community, especially for US players. Obviously if a player is playing terribly, that's a different story, but if you have two players that are both comparable I think the team needs to take their activity in the community and marketability into account.

This is not to the same degree, but let's think about Chad Owens. Barker felt that Gurley, Hazelton, and Elliot were better, and probably thought Owens was losing a step compared to those guys, and of course they didn't want to pay Owens what he felt he deserved for everything he did for the team on/off the field. We all saw how that went down. Plus, I still talk to friends who are very occasional fans, and the last players they know of are Rickey Ray and Owens all these years later, so that says something. Losing players like this does have an impact to marketing a brand trying to build itself back up.

This is all not to say that others couldn't take over, so hopefully other players do (and stick around for years to come), but it is sad to see a guy like Darby go.

Wobbler
07-19-2021, 11:09 PM
Let's build a team that can do better than 4-14 before worrying about continuity.

*Test edit*

*Test edit 2*

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2021, 11:36 PM
Let's build a team that can do better than 4-14 before worrying about continuity.

This. Darby is a fine gentleman but this move helps with winning, I won’t be complaining, as hard as it may me to soak in. Plus, Darby is probably best remembered more off of the field than on the field.

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2021, 11:37 PM
This. Darby is a fine gentleman but this move helps with winning, I won’t be complaining, as hard as it may me to soak in. Plus, Darby is probably best remembered more off of the field than on the field.

For some strange reason, as I have typed this on my phone, it will not allow me to edit my own obvious mistakes (fat fingers)

argolio
07-19-2021, 11:59 PM
I get the concept of trading for a position as important as LT, so this Poole guy better be the answer.

Do we know when are the cut-down dates?

jerrym
07-20-2021, 12:46 AM
For some strange reason, as I have typed this on my phone, it will not allow me to edit my own obvious mistakes (fat fingers)

I've had the same problem on the weekend, but not right now.

jerrym
07-20-2021, 12:50 AM

I agree with what you are saying, but it all depends on how good Poole is, which remains to be seen.

Skinny G
07-20-2021, 12:24 PM
Looks like there were some injury concerns on the OLine. Here's David Morassutti's article on the Darby trade:

https://tipofthetower.com/2021/07/20/toronto-argonauts-alden-darby-trade-terry-poole/

Skinny G
07-20-2021, 12:26 PM
The Argos release 7, and put Odell Willis on the suspended list. Per John Hodge, it's to deal with a family matter.

https://twitter.com/XsAndArgos/status/1417510707768266753?s=20

Will
07-20-2021, 01:10 PM
A bit surprised to see the Argos cut down to 3 QB's already -- unless the two released players really didn't impress -- figured they'd keep 1 as a "developmental" guy.

Rich
07-20-2021, 01:34 PM
A bit surprised to see the Argos cut down to 3 QB's already -- unless the two released players really didn't impress -- figured they'd keep 1 as a "developmental" guy.

It’s too early to stock the PR, if these guys don’t catch on with another team surely one of them, hopefully Bahar, will be back to go on the PR.

Skinny G
07-20-2021, 02:01 PM

I said this in the other thread, but it would be great if they brought Sinagra, Sequeira, or Merchant in as that developmental QB.

AngeloV
07-20-2021, 02:15 PM
Looks like there were some injury concerns on the OLine. Here's David Morassutti's article on the Darby trade:

https://tipofthetower.com/2021/07/20/toronto-argonauts-alden-darby-trade-terry-poole/

Pretty vague write up. I still think this trade sucks.

AngeloV
07-20-2021, 02:18 PM

I know I have said that Pipken appeared to have gotten worse every time he stepped on the field in Montreal, but he is only 26, so maybe he's the developmental guy they are looking for. The guys they cut are 23 and 24, so really not a big difference.

paulwoods13
07-20-2021, 03:21 PM
Can we all agree that among a plethora of problems the past two years, terrible offensive-line play was one of the (if not *the*) worst? There is no question in my mind that we need improved play from four of the five positions -- the only position that graded consistently high was centre, and he's gone. Heading into this season, I felt (and feel) confident Jamal Campbell will continue to develop, but beyond that there are question marks at every position. And IMO the biggest question mark by far is LT. If Murphy and Pinball concluded that we aren't good enough at that spot, they needed to find a better option. Whether or not Poole is that remains to be seen. But I'd rather surrender a proven player at a position with lots of depth and experience than go through another season without adequate blind-side protection.

AngeloV
07-20-2021, 05:19 PM
Can we all agree that among a plethora of problems the past two years, terrible offensive-line play was one of the (if not *the*) worst? There is no question in my mind that we need improved play from four of the five positions -- the only position that graded consistently high was centre, and he's gone. Heading into this season, I felt (and feel) confident Jamal Campbell will continue to develop, but beyond that there are question marks at every position. And IMO the biggest question mark by far is LT. If Murphy and Pinball concluded that we aren't good enough at that spot, they needed to find a better option. Whether or not Poole is that remains to be seen. But I'd rather surrender a proven player at a position with lots of depth and experience than go through another season without adequate blind-side protection.

I don't disagree the line needs upgrading, but to trade a proven player for question mark makes no sense to me. If they were going to make this type of trade, they should have gone after an unhappy and currently suspended Derrick Dennis.
I stand by my original opinion. I hate this trade. Hopefully, I learn to hate it less in the future.

jerrym
07-23-2021, 12:10 AM

I agree totally. Our QBs won't survive an entire season if the OL doesn't improve and we have a lot of depth at DB.

jerrym
07-23-2021, 12:17 AM

Here's the answer to the QB cuts - another QB signing. As to WR Rodney Smith, who was just cut by Edmonton, I've never been much of a fan of his, as he seemed to fall down so often after making a catch without anyone touching him.

The Toronto Argonauts announced Thursday they have signed former Clemson Tigers quarterback Kelly Bryant in addition to wide receiver Rodney Smith and offensive lineman Brandon Smith.

Bryant spent four seasons at the University of Clemson from 2015 to 2018, leading the Tigers to the 2017 ACC Championship. He threw for nearly 3,000 yards and 13 touchdowns to go along with 665 rushing yards and another 11 touchdowns in 14 games that season.
Bryant, 24, was also the backup under Deshaun Watson for Clemson's National Championship run in 2016.

Smith, 31, spent the 2018 and 2019 seasons with the Argos, tallying 74 receptions for 903 yards and five touchdowns over 23 games.

The 26-year-old Smith most recently spent time with the Carolina Cobras of the National Arena League after an offseason stint with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2018.
https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts-kelly-bryant-clemson-1.1671581

Will
07-23-2021, 09:13 AM
I was not a fan of Smith in 2018, but thought he had started to progress in 2019.

If he does get 1000 yards receiving w/ the Argos I am required to purchase a Rodney Smith jersey :)

Argo57
07-23-2021, 09:19 AM
Rodney Smith looked like Bambi on ice in 2018 but improved his play in 2019, IMO a depth signing considering the talent already in camp.

Shatto
07-23-2021, 11:43 AM
Not sure any of the recent 3 signings make much sense. Wonder what the problem was with Bryant---gets released 3 weeks before camp opens and then team brings him back half way through camp???????????

Will
07-23-2021, 01:13 PM
The Brandon Smith signing makes sense -- Argos need more depth on the OL particularly on the left side.
I understand that some receivers may be nicked up, which explains the Rodney Smith signing.

argolio
07-23-2021, 03:40 PM
Not sure any of the recent 3 signings make much sense. Wonder what the problem was with Bryant---gets released 3 weeks before camp opens and then team brings him back half way through camp???????????We're talking about the likely #4 QB. Bryant may have agreed to this so the team could look at their other rookie QBs (both cut earlier this week) before bringing Bryant back.

Not the first time a team has manipulated a camp roster in order to look at more players.

Argo57
07-27-2021, 12:13 PM
Argos announce the release of some players today.

https://3downnation.com/2021/07/27/argos-release-nine-players-including-former-nfl-rb-kenneth-dixon/ (https://3downnation.com/2021/07/27/argos-release-nine-players-including-former-nfl-rb-kenneth-dixon/)

jerrym
07-28-2021, 03:32 AM
Argos have released 2014 Calgary first round draft pick OL Quinn Smith.

AngeloV
07-28-2021, 08:21 AM
Argos have released 2014 Calgary first round draft pick OL Quinn Smith.

Not a huge surprise. He was out of football for a few years prior to his signing.

Argo57
07-30-2021, 08:18 AM
2019 Edmonton Rookie of the year LB Vontae Diggs who was a surprisingly cut by the Elks has signed with the Toronto Argonauts.

https://3downnation.com/2021/07/30/former-edmonton-elks-linebacker-vontae-diggs-signs-with-toronto-argonauts/

AngeloV
07-30-2021, 10:47 AM
2019 Edmonton Rookie of the year LB Vontae Diggs who was a surprisingly cut by the Elks has signed with the Toronto Argonauts.

https://3downnation.com/2021/07/30/former-edmonton-elks-linebacker-vontae-diggs-signs-with-toronto-argonauts/

I don't get it. Where is he going to play?

Also looks like they are signing Ti-Cats cut and XFL receiving leader Cam Phillips.

Argo57
07-30-2021, 12:20 PM
I don't get it. Where is he going to play?

Also looks like they are signing Ti-Cats cut and XFL receiving leader Cam Phillips.

I know, they were already stacked at LB.

AngeloV
07-30-2021, 12:33 PM
I know, they were already stacked at LB.

Makes you wonder if they are going to start McCoil at safety. I really think they might go 3-4 as their base defence with all the LB's and DE's they have.

OV Argo
07-30-2021, 01:13 PM
Makes you wonder if they are going to start McCoil at safety. I really think they might go 3-4 as their base defence with all the LB's and DE's they have.

Glenn Young played in a 3-4 D in the NFL with the Chargers way back i believe; started along-side future HOFer Junior Seau in the middle.

They could line-up more rush-end types (like Ray) at the OLB spots and really bring it with the pass rush; Hughes & Law at the DE spots and a big guy in the middle at nose tackle ?

AngeloV
07-30-2021, 03:26 PM
Glenn Young played in a 3-4 D in the NFL with the Chargers way back i believe; started along-side future HOFer Junior Seau in the middle.

They could line-up more rush-end types (like Ray) at the OLB spots and really bring it with the pass rush; Hughes & Law at the DE spots and a big guy in the middle at nose tackle ?

That's what I was thinking too, but I think Ray will start at DE over Law. I'm thinking Muamba and Diggs inside with Judge at Will and Edwards at SAM. McCoil would be safety in this scenario.

Stubler helping Young also coached 3-4 when he was DC under Pinball.

Argo57
07-30-2021, 06:23 PM
Argo final cuts announced, shame Jhaustin Thomas amongst them.

https://3downnation.com/2021/07/30/pull-together-argos-make-final-roster-moves-ahead-of-2021-season/

Wobbler
07-30-2021, 06:47 PM
They still have 49 guys on the active roster and none of them are globals (we need two). Plus there are 25 non-QB Americans on the roster, which is over by five. We also need to lose a QB.

Since the PR is set, I assume that the surplus will be injured. I still don't see why the global guys were removed, though.

Mocha
07-30-2021, 08:32 PM
They still have 49 guys on the active roster and none of them are globals (we need two). Plus there are 25 non-QB Americans on the roster, which is over by five. We also need to lose a QB.

Since the PR is set, I assume that the surplus will be injured. I still don't see why the global guys were removed, though.

I was also wondering about who the active global player is going to be. IIRC, the league reversed the decision to go to 2 active globals in order to cut costs, at least for this season. They'll still need one, though, and I'm guessing they'll pick either Robo or Sankoh to give them time on ST coverage.

AngeloV
07-30-2021, 10:37 PM

Only 1 Global this year. Argos can dress 3 QB’s and drop a ST American ( Dinwiddie mentioned this as a possibility earlier in camp). I’m also pretty sure that at least 5 Americans have “injuries” which will be disclosed over the next 5-7 days.

Wobbler
07-31-2021, 12:18 AM
I'm surprised that - so far at least - the team hasn't cut any real vets or any of the well-paid new guys. It never even occurred to me that Bear Woods would make the final roster, for example. Is it possible that we're truly under the cap at this point?

jerrym
07-31-2021, 12:47 AM

Phillips led the XFL in receptions and receiving yards, so he might even increase of strong depth at receiver.

gilthethrill
07-31-2021, 05:24 AM
I am noticing that players are being placed on both individual teams PRs and the CFL PR. What exactly is the CFL PR? A shared group of players that are available to any team?

Will
07-31-2021, 08:53 AM
There is a 5-player taxi squad that any team can access.

Shatto
07-31-2021, 05:43 PM
See the CFL Transactions show Cameron Phillips has been suspended. Hopefully it is a way of keeping him off the books until he can report.

OV Argo
07-31-2021, 07:03 PM
The new (overly large IMO - what up with that ?) PRs are sure loaded with mostly American players on most CFL teams; i guess a ratio does not apply there ? = not at all surprising; along with so many Canadian players "retiring" from the radical CFL lately.

paulwoods13
07-31-2021, 08:29 PM
The new (overly large IMO - what up with that ?) PRs are sure loaded with mostly American players on most CFL teams; i guess a ratio does not apply there ? = not at all surprising; along with so many Canadian players "retiring" from the radical CFL lately.

There's a reason for this PR expansion. Teams need to be able to find INT replacements for injured INTs. They couldn't risk the possibility of incoming INTs getting quarantined for a week or two. NATs, presumably, are already in the country and can be found and plugged in (without any public health issues) in the event of an emergency.

Argo57
08-10-2021, 06:23 PM
Argos make some more roster moves including the release of Chandler Worthy.
Hamilton also signed DT Jhaustin Thomas.

https://cfl news hub.com/cfl-news/toronto-argonauts-make-several-roster-moves-following-week-one-victory/ (https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/toronto-argonauts-make-several-roster-moves-following-week-one-victory/)

Shatto
08-10-2021, 07:02 PM
The Worthy release was a bit of a surprise as I expected him to feature as the return specialist sooner or later in the season. Will Jeanpierre be considered for the return role? What's with Bryant and the repeated on-off routine?

AngeloV
08-10-2021, 08:56 PM
The Worthy release was a bit of a surprise as I expected him to feature as the return specialist sooner or later in the season. Will Jeanpierre be considered for the return role? What's with Bryant and the repeated on-off routine?

I would say it was a surprise to see Worthy's release too, except for the fact that they placed him on the league PR and not their own PR. I think the writing was on the wall at that time. I was hoping he would get a chance, as he showed well to close out 2019.

Wobbler
08-10-2021, 09:42 PM
RB Trey Williams, who was signed today, spent a week on the Argos' PR in 2017. (A month later he appeared in a game for the Cowboys, FWIW)

Argo57
08-17-2021, 07:07 PM
Odell Willis released by the Toronto Argonauts.

https://3downnation.com/2021/08/17/toronto-argonauts-release-veteran-dl-odell-willis/

AngeloV
08-17-2021, 09:46 PM
Odell Willis released by the Toronto Argonauts.

https://3downnation.com/2021/08/17/toronto-argonauts-release-veteran-dl-odell-willis/

I have no issue with this. I never understood the signing in the first place and now at least he won't be taking reps away from Robbie Smith.

OV Argo
08-17-2021, 10:43 PM
I have no issue with this. I never understood the signing in the first place and now at least he won't be taking reps away from Robbie Smith.

Exactly; he was a non-factor with BC last time he played.

Shatto
08-17-2021, 10:56 PM
Though I questioned why the team signed Willis in the first place, the timing of his release is strange. With DE's Law and Ray on the 6 day injury list and Hughes DNP and Harold supposedly injured in the last game, it seems an unusual time to release Willis. Perhaps we will hear more in the near future.

Argo57
08-18-2021, 11:15 AM

Agreed, I didn’t think he would make it through camp TBH.

Will
08-18-2021, 06:43 PM
Though I questioned why the team signed Willis in the first place, the timing of his release is strange. With DE's Law and Ray on the 6 day injury list and Hughes DNP and Harold supposedly injured in the last game, it seems an unusual time to release Willis. Perhaps we will hear more in the near future.

This.

Will
08-18-2021, 06:45 PM
Juwan Brescacin will miss some time, but his initial prognosis is much more optimistic: perhaps 3-4 weeks.

OV Argo
08-18-2021, 08:23 PM
This.

Willis was signed cause Murphy is big on ex-CFL names; he is useless as a DT (Lions tried him there last season); and Robbie Smith is a way better option at DE.

argolio
08-18-2021, 08:54 PM
I think he was signed only as insurance in case a bunch of guys didn't show up to camp. He got to make a few bucks, and was probably offside in camp at least three times as often as any other d-lineman.

Wobbler
08-18-2021, 10:24 PM
Juwan Brescacin will miss some time, but his initial prognosis is much more optimistic: perhaps 3-4 weeks.
Good news. A few weeks without JB seems like a chance to give Gittens more reps and bring Brissett into the mix. Months without JB would have been a serious problem unless one of those guys performs surprisingly well.

jerrym
08-25-2021, 08:08 PM

Getting him back could really help the team down the stretch.

Will
08-27-2021, 01:48 PM
The Argos added Trevon Tate who was recently released by the Tiger-Cats. Presumably this is in an effort to stabilize that left tackle spot.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welcome to the 6ix, <a href="https://twitter.com/TrevonT8?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TrevonT8</a> ✍️ <a href="https://t.co/hTXAPfF6Ic">pic.twitter.com/hTXAPfF6Ic</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/1430974525173338116?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AngeloV
08-27-2021, 02:12 PM
The Argos added Trevon Tate who was recently released by the Tiger-Cats. Presumably this is in an effort to stabilize that left tackle spot.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welcome to the 6ix, <a href="https://twitter.com/TrevonT8?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TrevonT8</a> ✍️ <a href="https://t.co/hTXAPfF6Ic">pic.twitter.com/hTXAPfF6Ic</a></p>— Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/1430974525173338116?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And quietly released Terry Poole on Tuesday. Seeing as how Alden Darby hasn't played for Winnipeg at this point, the trade is somewhat of a wash. I didn't like the trade at the time, and still don't. Darby, even if he were to be a back up here was someone I hated to see traded.

ArgoRavi
08-28-2021, 11:36 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welcome to the 6ix, <a href="https://twitter.com/TrevonT8?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TrevonT8</a> ✍️ <a href="https://t.co/hTXAPfF6Ic">pic.twitter.com/hTXAPfF6Ic</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/1430974525173338116?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dejon Allen has done a decent job so far, I think. Paul, what do you think of Allen's play so far this season?

paulwoods13
08-28-2021, 12:35 PM
I've personally been impressed by Allen and the rest of the o-line, altho Jamal Campbell had a rough game in week 2 and Nicastro has taken a lot of penalties. I don't blame Allen for the strip-sack last week -- he clearly did not hear or expect the fast count Arbuckle used. But I think this o-line can become very good. Rushing for 100-plus two weeks in a row is amazing in this day and age.

Will
08-28-2021, 12:43 PM
I've personally been impressed by Allen and the rest of the o-line, altho Jamal Campbell had a rough game in week 2 and Nicastro has taken a lot of penalties. I don't blame Allen for the strip-sack last week -- he clearly did not hear or expect the fast count Arbuckle used. But I think this o-line can become very good. Rushing for 100-plus two weeks in a row is amazing in this day and age.

A certain fan group decided it was wise to make noise on offense.

Will
08-28-2021, 12:44 PM
And quietly released Terry Poole on Tuesday. Seeing as how Alden Darby hasn't played for Winnipeg at this point, the trade is somewhat of a wash. I didn't like the trade at the time, and still don't. Darby, even if he were to be a back up here was someone I hated to see traded.

The CFL.ca transactions lists are confusing, I note that Poole's name is still listed on the roster while Brandon Smith who was released around the same time is not.

jerrym
08-28-2021, 03:54 PM

I don't see it as a wash as Darby could have been contributing to the Argos if there was no trade.

OV Argo
08-28-2021, 04:17 PM
Darby is slated to start at S-OLB for the Bummers in their next game (Sunday).

A few CFL teams have had a bit of a revolving door issue at O-Line this season; part injury necessity or else to make upgrades from weak play the previous game; even though it's nice to aim for an O-line that plays well together as an experienced unit, it's also not OK to tolerate weak play and be afraid to make some changes. The Argos could audition 2 new OTs as starters next game and I would look forward to see how they do.

paulwoods13
08-28-2021, 04:53 PM
I don't see it as a wash as Darby could have been contributing to the Argos if there was no trade.

Our secondary (including the DB/LB hybrid position) has been one of the strengths of the season to date. I don't know if I'd sit any of them for Darby -- I spoze a case could be made for either of the rookies (Decoud and Peters) but they are likely being paid quite less than Darby would be making, and not sure there's enough marginal value there to warrant having a vet like him in that spot.

paulwoods13
08-28-2021, 04:55 PM
Darby is slated to start at S-OLB for the Bummers in their next game (Sunday).

A few CFL teams have had a bit of a revolving door issue at O-Line this season; part injury necessity or else to make upgrades from weak play the previous game; even though it's nice to aim for an O-line that plays well together as an experienced unit, it's also not OK to tolerate weak play and be afraid to make some changes. The Argos could audition 2 new OTs as starters next game and I would look forward to see how they do.

Based on the first 13 games of the season, a case could be made that we have one of the stronger o-lines in the league so far. I don't think we're going to see much tinkering just yet.

paulwoods13
08-28-2021, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't bet on Poole being gone. According to the CFL's typically inscrutable transactions list, Poole was "added to free agent" on Aug. 26 and Tate was "added to free agent" on Aug. 27. So are both guys now FAs? That seems highly unlikely.

OV Argo
08-28-2021, 05:57 PM
Based on the first 13 games of the season, a case could be made that we have one of the stronger o-lines in the league so far. I don't think we're going to see much tinkering just yet.

Both OT spots and the rookie Nicastro have struggled a bit IMO; might be one of the better O-Lines in the league thus far, but hardly stellar, especially in pass pro. Tinkering can be done in game even - if a starting OT is struggling against the DEs/pass rush they are facing, have the guts to give the back-up a shot to see if he can do better.

Argo57
08-28-2021, 06:18 PM
Both OT spots and the rookie Nicastro have struggled a bit IMO; might be one of the better O-Lines in the league thus far, but hardly stellar, especially in pass pro. Tinkering can be done in game even - if a starting OT is struggling against the DEs/pass rush they are facing, have the guts to give the back-up a shot to see if he can do better.

I’d give them more time as a unit.
They played 2 of the first 3 games against an elite D-Line from Winnipeg, got dominated in the first game and rebounded with a much better effort in the second game.

paulwoods13
08-29-2021, 08:41 AM

With the limited number of practice reps teams have each week, and the clear need for offensive lines (arguably more than any other position group) to develop cohesiveness, it seems extremely unlikely that any starter will be benched unless he is getting eaten alive. One of the flaws Obie had as a head coach back in the day was an irresistible compulsion to tinker with success. Sure, the o-line could be better than it has been. I would argue it likely will become better though time and playing together. And I would bet there are six or seven teams in the league that would trade for it straight up at this point.

Wobbler
08-29-2021, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't bet on Poole being gone. According to the CFL's typically inscrutable transactions list, Poole was "added to free agent" on Aug. 26 and Tate was "added to free agent" on Aug. 27. So are both guys now FAs? That seems highly unlikely.
The terminology is strange, but my interpretation is that:

"Remove unsigned" + "Free agent" = released
"Add to" + "Free agent" = placed on PR
"Remove signed" + "Free agent" = a prerequisite for transferring from PR to active.

Thus, Smith has been cut but both Poole and Tate are still on the team, which I believe is consistent with what has been announced.

argolio
08-29-2021, 04:38 PM
Strange and confusing. The CFL really needs to improve its transaction terminology.

Based on early results, I think we have one of the better run-blocking o-lines in the league, and no worse than average for pass-blocking. That's a massive improvement over 2018/19.

I also like how the o-line led the way in standing up for Daniels after he took that cheap shot.

OV Argo
09-01-2021, 04:42 PM
Ex- Argo draft pick Ryan Hunter, O-Lineman; has been added to the Chargers PR; thought we might see him up here after he bombed with the Chiefs, but a lot of young Canadian players drafted in the CFL who get an NFL look will stick around down there hoping to get another shot (and sometimes never show-up in the CFL, sadly).

ArgoGabe22
09-01-2021, 07:16 PM
Chandler Worthy has been brought back

Will
09-01-2021, 08:33 PM
Chandler Worthy has been brought back

He was Worthy of a return?

Wobbler
09-01-2021, 10:08 PM
If we were using a modern platform instead of crusty old vbulletin you'd find a shiny "thumbs-up" next to your post, Will. Sadly, you'll need to imagine that prize.

cfl-cis fan
09-02-2021, 12:00 PM
and sadly the Canadians in the CFL are an afterthought by the teams marketing department. We have good Canadian players, may help if we have MORE Canadian coaches

OV Argo
09-02-2021, 12:06 PM
and sadly the Canadians in the CFL are an afterthought by the teams marketing department. We have good Canadian players, may help if we have MORE Canadian coaches

Dream on it seems; the trend has been going the other way in the "radical" league for a long time.

paulwoods13
09-02-2021, 04:48 PM
Ex- Argo draft pick Ryan Hunter, O-Lineman; has been added to the Chargers PR; thought we might see him up here after he bombed with the Chiefs, but a lot of young Canadian players drafted in the CFL who get an NFL look will stick around down there hoping to get another shot (and sometimes never show-up in the CFL, sadly).

That sucks for us, but good for him if he can squeeze in another full season of PR pay, which is far more than he could earn up here as a rookie. I imagine this is his fish-or-cut-bait year -- if he doesn't get some game-roster time this year, I can't see him on an NFL PR again next season.

Wobbler
09-12-2021, 09:40 PM
Apparently Kendall Wright has finally joined the team (https://3downnation.com/2021/09/12/former-first-round-nfl-draft-pick-kendall-wright-to-report-to-argos-this-week/). Back in the day, Wright was blazing fast; if he still has that speed, it would bring something new to the offense.

Will
09-13-2021, 02:54 PM
Terry Poole has been released as per an Argonauts Media Relations tweet.

This is who the Argos traded a community and team leader for.

AngeloV
09-13-2021, 05:55 PM
Terry Poole has been released as per an Argonauts Media Relations tweet.

This is who the Argos traded a community and team leader for.

So I was right to be pissed about the trade. Looks even worse now that Butler in injured and Darby is starting at SAM for the Bombers. Trading a proven player who is versatile in that he can play half, safety and SAM and is great n the community and living here year round, for a guy that isn't good enough to make your team, really stings.

Will
09-13-2021, 05:59 PM
Crezdon Butler was a full participant at practice today, but your point still stands.

AngeloV
09-13-2021, 08:22 PM
Crezdon Butler was a full participant at practice today, but your point still stands.

That's great news. He was listed as 6 game on the depth chart's inactive list from Friday. Maybe it was wrong. Perhaps a clerical error.

OV Argo
09-13-2021, 09:14 PM
So I was right to be pissed about the trade. Looks even worse now that Butler in injured and Darby is starting at SAM for the Bombers. Trading a proven player who is versatile in that he can play half, safety and SAM and is great n the community and living here year round, for a guy that isn't good enough to make your team, really stings.

Shoulda kept Darby as a solid, versatile player; he has been listed as the starter at SAM for the Bummers, but as i have pointed out, they have been going with more 3 true linebacker look lately - with NI LB Shayne Gauthier playing lots of reps at OLB, alongside other true LBs Bighill & Briggs = very CFL unconventional now .

Be good to get Butler back at safety; if ego-Jones is the new DC with say, doubt we see rookie Canadian Hagerty at safety again; Jones is known for all sorts of defence looks (like DEs dropping in coverage); wonder if he would put McCoil back at safety? - he should be on the field all the time in this Argo D IMO.

Shatto
09-13-2021, 11:20 PM
The Darby/Poole trade was just downright bad. Darby was a versatile DB who also contributed to the community. He could play Safety, SAM or even Halfback To give him up for nothing doesn't make sense

There are a couple of interesting players apparently coming to town. Cole McDonald is a big QB with excellent wheels but is probably a development player. Former 1st round NFL draft choice WR Kendall Wright, has finally ironed out his personal problems and is expected in camp. At 31 ,the question is, how much of his talent and speed does he have left.

CrazyCanuck89
09-14-2021, 04:02 PM
Actually Gauiter has been moving to the MLB, while Bighill plays SLB in the formation.

cfl-cis fan
09-14-2021, 04:48 PM
so what is the deal is Cross getting released or going to injured list??

REAL
09-14-2021, 04:58 PM
so what is the deal is Cross getting released or going to injured list??

so Cross now backs up Lavoie?

OV Argo
09-14-2021, 05:07 PM
Actually Gauiter has been moving to the MLB, while Bighill plays SLB in the formation.

They are able to move guys around , as opposed to a standard look, with 3 natural, bigger LBs; I always thought they should get a bigger MLB and move Bighill to OLB (Will i guess) where he might do more damage. Bighill can move - didn't he play safety in the NFL with the Saints ?

OV Argo
09-14-2021, 05:10 PM

Lavoie played some slotback as well as H-back with Ottawa - more of a receiver; not sure if his blocking is that great; can't see Cross being replaced cause they think Lavoie is an upgrade ? And why wouldn't Pellerin get a chance instead of bringing in a guy who was always average at best ?

AngeloV
09-14-2021, 05:30 PM

I would say this is a move strictly for special teams. Probably to provide better upback protection on punts.

paulwoods13
09-14-2021, 05:41 PM
I would say this is a move strictly for special teams. Probably to provide better upback protection on punts.

That is an area where we definitely need improvement. I confess I have not paid attention to who's back there in addition to Cross, but I would imagine Lavoie might be very soon.

AngeloV
09-14-2021, 05:47 PM
That is an area where we definitely need improvement. I confess I have not paid attention to who's back there in addition to Cross, but I would imagine Lavoie might be very soon.

It was suggested Cross blew an assignment on the punt block Friday. It being the 2nd punt block this season, I'm not surprised they are looking to improve in that area.

paulwoods13
09-14-2021, 07:58 PM
It was suggested Cross blew an assignment on the punt block Friday. It being the 2nd punt block this season, I'm not surprised they are looking to improve in that area.

It's entirely possible he missed his block. But I also have faith he is capable of correcting his mistakes. Lavoie might be intended more as a wakeup call than a replacement. Guess we will see.

OV Argo
09-14-2021, 08:08 PM
It's entirely possible he missed his block. But I also have faith he is capable of correcting his mistakes. Lavoie might be intended more as a wakeup call than a replacement. Guess we will see.

Brutal, knee-jerk reaction if a proven vet misses one assignment and gets called on the carpet; Lavoie is a vet and maybe they figure they need more vet leadership (not sure why though?); as far as a big talent upgrade - he is not; not even close, and his hands as a targeted receiver in the Ottawa offence were often iffy.

ArgoGabe22
09-14-2021, 08:36 PM
I still don’t think Darby would have made this team tbh. He was a solid player on a bad team and like where the team is now with their secondary. The trade was bad but I wouldn’t be against his release if the players today are much better and deserving to start.

AngeloV
09-14-2021, 09:47 PM
Brutal, knee-jerk reaction if a proven vet misses one assignment and gets called on the carpet; Lavoie is a vet and maybe they figure they need more vet leadership (not sure why though?); as far as a big talent upgrade - he is not; not even close, and his hands as a targeted receiver in the Ottawa offence were often iffy.

Nobody said Cross was being replaced. That would be a knee jerk reaction, but so is jumping to that conclusion.

AngeloV
09-14-2021, 09:48 PM
I still don’t think Darby would have made this team tbh. He was a solid player on a bad team and like where the team is now with their secondary. The trade was bad but I wouldn’t be against his release if the players today are much better and deserving to start.

Butler's been good at safety, but all things considered, I would rather have Darby starting there, and I said this exact thing the day of the trade.

OV Argo
09-15-2021, 12:34 PM
Nobody said Cross was being replaced. That would be a knee jerk reaction, but so is jumping to that conclusion.

That's why I said "if"; and also not replaced but called on the carpet. You seem to be reading something different ?

paulwoods13
09-15-2021, 01:34 PM
"Calling on the carpet" is harsh-sound rhetoric, but it happens all the time in sports. Every player expects to be held accountable for performance. If a guy misses an assignment, he can expect to hear about it. None of us knows who was responsible for allowing the punt to be blocked, but whoever was responsible no doubt had to endure the misery of that play being shown to the full group during film review, possibly multiple times. The individual(s) might also have been spoken to privately by a coach or two. In extreme cases, a guy might get benched or even cut for making a major mistake. I don't think anyone is cutting Declan Cross, but I'm sure he would accept responsibility for the mistake if he made it, or even if someone else made it since he is a special-teams captain.

Wobbler
10-01-2021, 02:12 PM
Justin Tuggle returns, Jalen Collins added (https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/10/01/argos-add-lb-justin-tuggle-db-jalen-collins/).

It's nice to have Tuggle back. Hopefully he's just depth behind Muamba and not an indication that there are long term problems in the middle.

Will
10-01-2021, 03:46 PM
Justin Tuggle returns, Jalen Collins added (https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/10/01/argos-add-lb-justin-tuggle-db-jalen-collins/).

It's nice to have Tuggle back. Hopefully he's just depth behind Muamba and not an indication that there are long term problems in the middle.

I fear it might -- Henoc was 6-gamed.

primetime31
10-01-2021, 05:57 PM
The signing of Tuggle may also be wanted by Chris Jones as a measure to diversify the defense even if Muamba returns soon. They could go 3-4 on some plays.

AngeloV
10-01-2021, 09:39 PM
The signing of Tuggle may also be wanted by Chris Jones as a measure to diversify the defense even if Muamba returns soon. They could go 3-4 on some plays.

They've played a lot of 3-4 all year. But losing Muamba and Judge (along with Cassar) put them very lean at LB. A big reason their run defence has been awful the last 2 games.

argolio
10-02-2021, 12:10 AM
They've played a lot of 3-4 all year. But losing Muamba and Judge (along with Cassar) put them very lean at LB. A big reason their run defence has been awful the last 2 games.No doubt. Muamba has really improved his pass D (used to be very mediocre) but run D is his specialty.

Wobbler
10-02-2021, 02:34 PM
Vontae Diggs released (https://3downnation.com/2021/10/02/argos-release-linebacker-vontae-diggs/).

I guess it's official - I was the only one impressed by Diggs! Hopefully Judge gets healthy and starts playing like he did in 2019. Or even 2018.

Argo57
10-02-2021, 04:10 PM
Vontae Diggs released (https://3downnation.com/2021/10/02/argos-release-linebacker-vontae-diggs/).

I guess it's official - I was the only one impressed by Diggs! Hopefully Judge gets healthy and starts playing like he did in 2019. Or even 2018.

I expect a couple more moves like this with Chris Jones in charge of the D.

paulwoods13
10-02-2021, 08:28 PM

IMO Diggs looked good in a brief appearance in relief when Judge got hurt in an early game, but after that did nothing of note. I have to assume Jones has already seen enough of Tuggle to feel he's an upgrade. I'm assuming we won't see Muamba or Judge for a few more weeks.

jerrym
10-03-2021, 01:25 AM
I like bringing back Justin Tuggle as I thought he was very good in several areas.

Skilz
10-04-2021, 02:42 PM
CFL transactions are reporting that both Kendall Wright and AJ Ouallette have been released.

Seems as though the Wright experiment was in fact wrong and Dinwiddie must be happy with the current crop of Imports.

I know A.J had some fans in these parts but Foster has seriously impressed as backup or even pushing White.

Wobbler
10-04-2021, 03:43 PM
"Add To / Free Agent" just means they are being reassigned, I think. Ouellette is probably joining the active roster (since White has a hamstring issue) and Wright is... going on the PR?

Ryan52
10-04-2021, 04:28 PM
cutting ouellette would be an odd move right now, unless white is good to go. i wish cfl listed the transactions in an easier way to follow

jerrym
10-05-2021, 11:25 PM
"Add To / Free Agent" just means they are being reassigned, I think. Ouellette is probably joining the active roster (since White has a hamstring issue) and Wright is... going on the PR?

Ouellette is currently on the PR while roster is not on the roster at all and has been released according to 3Down.

AngeloV
10-08-2021, 11:40 PM
Argos announce that Fabian Foote is rejoining the team from the suspended list and the signing of DL Junior Thurman, as well as plucking a Long snapper off Ottawa's PR. It would be really nice if Shorthill also decided to join the team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have added Canadian DL Junior Turner, moved Canadian DL Fabion Foote from the suspended list to the practice roster, and added Canadian LS Maxime Latour from Ottawa&#39;s practice roster.</p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts Media Relations (@ArgonautsMR) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArgonautsMR/status/1446536625799024642?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 8, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
10-09-2021, 07:47 AM
Ouellette is currently on the PR while roster is not on the roster at all and has been released according to 3Down.

I saw Ouellette leaving BMO on Wednesday after the game. With White down, I was a little surprised that the Argos didn't insert him into the lineup.

REAL
10-09-2021, 08:28 AM
I saw Ouellette leaving BMO on Wednesday after the game. With White down, I was a little surprised that the Argos didn't insert him into the lineup.

Ouellette is not one of Dinwidde’s guys!

Will
10-10-2021, 08:18 AM
Unfortunately Jake Reinhart is out for the season (https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/football-world-pulling-for-reinhart-following-gruesome-elbow-injury-to-longest-tenured-argo?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) and Dinwiddie says “Luckily, they went in and got it fixed right away. He could have possibly lost his arm. It’s a scary situation. I feel for Jake. I know he’s disappointed he’ll miss the rest of the season, but more importantly I’m worried about his health more than anything.”

AngeloV
10-10-2021, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately Jake Reinhart is out for the season (https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/football-world-pulling-for-reinhart-following-gruesome-elbow-injury-to-longest-tenured-argo?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) and Dinwiddie says “Luckily, they went in and got it fixed right away. He could have possibly lost his arm. It’s a scary situation. I feel for Jake. I know he’s disappointed he’ll miss the rest of the season, but more importantly I’m worried about his health more than anything.”

Yeah, it is really scary to think of how close it was for him. Best wishes and a speedy recovery for Jake.

Tobin Rote
10-12-2021, 11:06 AM
cutting ouellette would be an odd move right now, unless white is good to go. i wish cfl listed the transactions in an easier way to follow

Absolutely... what is it with the CFL transactions anyway? I can't understand them at all. It's as if they are being translated back to English from Chinese or something... with no offense intended to people that speak Chinese.

AngeloV
10-12-2021, 11:46 AM
Absolutely... what is it with the CFL transactions anyway? I can't understand them at all. It's as if they are being translated back to English from Chinese or something... with no offense intended to people that speak Chinese.

Transactions are hard to understand this year, and I think it's mainly because of the additional practice roster in which teams can borrow players due to covid.

cfl-cis fan
10-13-2021, 10:43 AM
Lavoie played some slotback as well as H-back with Ottawa - more of a receiver; not sure if his blocking is that great; can't see Cross being replaced cause they think Lavoie is an upgrade ? And why wouldn't Pellerin get a chance instead of bringing in a guy who was always average at best ?

?? it happened ??

Wobbler
10-15-2021, 10:57 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have released American DL Eli Howard.</p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts Media Relations (@ArgonautsMR) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArgonautsMR/status/1449002372852760602?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The defensive makeover continues, as Eli Harold (who played last week at DT) has been released. I suppose either Hendrix is coming back or Jones has decided not to dress an American backup DT.

ArgoGabe22
10-15-2021, 08:01 PM
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 224px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29va2llX2V4cGlyY XRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWx sfSwidGZ3X2hvcml6b25fdHdlZXRfZW1iZWRfOTU1NSI6eyJid WNrZXQiOiJodGUiLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3NwYWN lX2NhcmQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib2ZmIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsb H19&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1449002372852760602&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com%2Fshowthread. php%3F6511-Transactions-Injuries-thread-(2021-TC-Regular-season)%2Fpage8&sessionId=cbd50c5624b9a90b541e52a4e6e0f6b2f6d54555&theme=light&widgetsVersion=fcb1942%3A1632982954711&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1449002372852760602" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The defensive makeover continues, as Eli Harold (who played last week at DT) has been released. I suppose either Hendrix is coming back or Jones has decided not to dress an American backup DT.

Eli Harold has not been released. They're two different players lol

https://twitter.com/EliHarold_/status/1449059540436127755
<iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.58065ae230495f5d9e4b6a916472b2c1.htm l?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Wobbler
10-15-2021, 10:59 PM
Dammit! I've been mixing those guys up all season, and I thought I double checked.

Oops.

DE Eli Howard has been released, not DT Eli Harold.

ArgoRavi
10-16-2021, 12:35 AM
Yeah, Eli Howard hasn't played much this season but did play on Thanksgiving while Eli Harold has seen more action.

OV Argo
10-16-2021, 08:41 AM
Yeah, Eli Howard hasn't played much this season but did play on Thanksgiving while Eli Harold has seen more action.

Harold is a rush end type; and former SF 49er

Wobbler
10-18-2021, 10:23 AM
Dammit! I've been mixing those guys up all season, and I thought I double checked.

Oops.

DE Eli Howard has been released, not DT Eli Harold.
And now Eli Harold has been released, according to Dunk, ending this confusion permanently. I hope.

(Maybe Jones was tired of getting them mixed up too - heh heh)

Shatto
10-18-2021, 11:29 AM
A bit of a surprise as I thought he played quite well. But then what do I know!

Wobbler
10-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Yeah. Not sure what the plan is at DT. Oakman has been great and Acheampong seems OK, but did Foote actually start last week? I didn't notice him at all. Nevis doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy, unfortunately. I guess we'll be OK with Oakman/Hendrix and Acheampong/Foote.

paulwoods13
10-18-2021, 08:32 PM
It looked to me as if Foote did start, and played a lot. I didn't notice him do much, but sometimes that's the point with DTs.

OV Argo
10-18-2021, 08:47 PM
Yeah. Not sure what the plan is at DT. Oakman has been great and Acheampong seems OK, but did Foote actually start last week? I didn't notice him at all. Nevis doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy, unfortunately. I guess we'll be OK with Oakman/Hendrix and Acheampong/Foote.

Pretty sure Foote was in a bit at DT; Oakman & Acheampong are solid at DT if that's who they mostly roll with, IMO; former NFL starter Kony Ealy was a DE down there but has the size to play inside in the CFL game - he might emerge as a force if he gets going. And recent pick-up Junior Turner was pretty solid when he played DT for the Stamps - he might prove a real nice addition with vet smarts. Argos have plenty of D-Line depth IMO.

jerrym
10-26-2021, 12:57 AM
The Argos have signed Canadian DB/ST Dondre Wright who has 45 DTs and 14 ST tackles since 2017, mostly with the Als who just released him.

OV Argo
10-27-2021, 12:45 PM
Argos bring back former top draft pick Brian Jones - do they need another back-up FB or special teamer I guess ?

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2021, 02:24 PM
Argos bring back former top draft pick Brian Jones - do they need another back-up FB or special teamer I guess ?

The 2012 team signed Walter Spencer and Ettiene Boulay through the season to improve the special teams and looked what happened there.

AngeloV
10-27-2021, 02:55 PM

I hope he can long snap, because he has a terrible receiver. Prolong his career a la Chad Rempel.

paulwoods13
10-27-2021, 05:12 PM

They could definitely use help on specials, especially with Colquhoun out and Noel apparently not coming back any time soon. Jones blocked a punt as a rookie, IIRC. He was drafted way too high for what he became as a receiver, but he was a decent ST guy. He's also a big body, and seems more likely to make an impact on kick returns and coverage than Nield has.

OV Argo
10-27-2021, 06:25 PM
They could definitely use help on specials, especially with Colquhoun out and Noel apparently not coming back any time soon. Jones blocked a punt as a rookie, IIRC. He was drafted way too high for what he became as a receiver, but he was a decent ST guy. He's also a big body, and seems more likely to make an impact on kick returns and coverage than Nield has.

Maybe he can have a good impact all-around on STs; and the Argos signed vet H-back type Lavoie who played quite a lot on offence with Ottawa; IF a CFL team planned to make some good use out of a big H-back type, it might make sense if it was a guy with some serious receiver skills (and Jones' combo of college ball receiving production + excellent set of Combine testing #s suggested he might be quite capable; but other than that brief stint - his rookie year? - when the Argos purged a bunch of vet receivers, Jones has never played much in a CFL offence and been targeted much at all. I used to get a kick out of some fan forum commentators citing a back-up receiver's lack of stats / receptions # when thy guy barely played on offence or had a pass thrown his way as some big indicator of something= oh really, gee, ya figure ? - guy must be a bum.

The Ticats used the 1st overall (!!!) pick in the past CFL draft to take Jake Burt - a TE in US college ball - and he has not played this year at all (injured from TC on in ? - or just being stashed till he is "ready" ?); looking forward to this 1st overall pick coming in and just dominating as a heavily targeted receiver who puts up tons of yardage for the Ticats offence = LOL

ArgoGabe22
11-02-2021, 09:03 PM
Ben Grant is reporting we plucked a C off of Calgary’s PR. I don’t think Nicastro would be benched, unless injured but perhaps he could be moved to G. Wasn’t the plan for him to be a G since we had the C from WPG?

Will
11-02-2021, 09:18 PM
He's on the injury report.

primetime31
11-02-2021, 10:09 PM
Here's to hoping that both Shane Ray and Kony Ealy will feature on the D-line on Saturday. The line needs to generate more pressure, if not more sacks from their D-line.

Even if McCoil can't go on Saturday then perhaps Cam Judge can return in his spot which would help the ratio.

AngeloV
11-03-2021, 08:31 AM
Ben Grant is reporting we plucked a C off of Calgary’s PR. I don’t think Nicastro would be benched, unless injured but perhaps he could be moved to G. Wasn’t the plan for him to be a G since we had the C from WPG?

Guessing Nicastro might be out this week. I think They will move Blake to C and start Richards (if healthy) or Giffen at G with the young Zamora being a back up in case of emergency.

Treblecharger1
11-03-2021, 10:24 AM
Here's to hoping that both Shane Ray and Kony Ealy will feature on the D-line on Saturday. The line needs to generate more pressure, if not more sacks from their D-line.

Even if McCoil can't go on Saturday then perhaps Cam Judge can return in his spot which would help the ratio.

I really want Shane to get a full game in. I feel so bad for him. So much talent and always gets the most odd injuries

ArgoGabe22
11-03-2021, 12:10 PM
Another LB? Nate Holley is an Argo

Wobbler
11-03-2021, 12:56 PM
Holley led the league in total tackles in 2019. He seems like a strong contender at WILL and could help immediately on specials.

AngeloV
11-03-2021, 01:00 PM
Another LB? Nate Holley is an Argo

I hope this doesn't mean McCoil's injury is serious.

OV Argo
11-03-2021, 01:38 PM

It might mean more that Murphy likes to sign ex-Stamps or any name ex-CFL players.

Holley was very good as a rookie for the Stamps; he's not as good as McCoil or Judge though.

How many CFL veteran plus ex-NFL name D-Linemen can one CFL team carry in a season? - they trying to set a record there? And how much are they paying out $ ? Great to have depth I guess but maybe time for a couple to step-up as consistent guys - Hughes has looked a shadow of his former self; Law good at first but not much lately; Nevis?; a bunch of NFL names ? The 3 best Argo D-Linemen this season IMO have been newcomer / former no-name Oakman, rookie draft pick Acheampong (still amazed he has played so much) and Robbie Smith at DE. And long-time Stamp Junior Turner has made an impact since they got him. Not sure I trust Jones to figure the D out other than he likes "athletes" who can move around lots in his wonderful schemes.

paulwoods13
11-03-2021, 01:39 PM

McCoil has been mostly great this year, but man, his regular offside penalties drive me nuts. Still, I sure hope he is available for the postseason.

Shatto
11-03-2021, 06:41 PM
Holley is a young exciting talent but hopefully his signing isn't because McCoil's injury is more serious than first believed. But, if McCoil does have a serious injury and if Judge isn't fully fit yet, then this is a really good signing. The interesting time will be when McCoil, Judge, Holley and Edwards are all healthy and ready to play. So much talent but how do you get it all on the field at the same time?

Still, better to have too much talent than not enough!

AngeloV
11-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Argos have signed recently released receiver Josh Huff and RT Thaddeus Coleman. I hope these are strictly for insurance and don't mean that Jamal Campbell and Eric Rogers are not expected back any time soon.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts-sign-josh-huff-thaddeus-coleman-brady-sheldon-1.1718594

Will
11-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Here is an explanation as to why Holley will not be joining Argos. I hope the Argos were not aware of these circumstances (whatever they are) when they signed him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The CFL has decided to not register a contract for LB Nate Holley in accordance with our Violence Against Women Policy. We will not be commenting further out of respect for the privacy of those involved.</p>&mdash; CFL Communications (@CFL_PR) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_PR/status/1461024081592172548?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 17, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoGabe22
11-17-2021, 01:05 PM
Here is an explanation as to why Holley will not be joining Argos. I hope the Argos were not aware of these circumstances (whatever they are) when they signed him.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 296px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29va2llX2V4cGlyY XRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWx sfSwidGZ3X2hvcml6b25fdHdlZXRfZW1iZWRfOTU1NSI6eyJid WNrZXQiOiJodGUiLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3NwYWN lX2NhcmQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib2ZmIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsb H19&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1461024081592172548&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com%2Fshowthread. php%3F6511-Transactions-Injuries-thread-(2021-TC-Regular-season)%2Fpage10&sessionId=9d45c7ce611cb2733c07125140787da40f1a3204&theme=light&widgetsVersion=f001879%3A1634581029404&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1461024081592172548" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

While at Kent State in 2016, Holley was arrested on felony kidnapping charges in Ohio and was dismissed from the program. The following year, Holley was found not guilty on all charges after a trial that lasted nearly three days.

If this is the incident in questions, seems a little unfair since the Stamps originally signed him with no issues, crossed the border with no issues.
<iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.a53eecb4584348a2ad32ec2ae21f6eae.htm l?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Will
11-17-2021, 01:09 PM
That assumes there have been no fresh accusations against Holley since 2019. Like to assume the Argos would have done their due diligence.

Apparently the newer CBA provides the league a little more latitude with that sort of stuff that didn't exist prior.

paulwoods13
11-17-2021, 02:21 PM
At least we now know why he disappeared from all lists. I'm fine with the league keeping players out on this basis, as long as the policy is applied consistently.

AngeloV
11-17-2021, 02:39 PM
That assumes there have been no fresh accusations against Holley since 2019. Like to assume the Argos would have done their due diligence.

Apparently the newer CBA provides the league a little more latitude with that sort of stuff that didn't exist prior.

I sure hope they did their due diligence. It would be disappointing if they signed him and knew about this accusation.

Shatto
11-17-2021, 11:13 PM
Any form of violence or threat of violence against any woman is completely unacceptable. There must be zero tolerance in these cases.

Where there may be concerns in this case, revolves around the finding of the court that the accused was found not guilty on all counts. If an accused is found not guilty in a court of law, should any individual or organization have the right to punish the defendant regardless of the court's decision. It becomes a slippery slope for society if that does occur.

There is much we do not know about this situation. Did the accused offend again? Is there an appeal in this case? Was the not guilty decision based on some technicality?

Our judicial system uses the term "not guilty" rather than "innocent" purposefully. "Not guilty" simply means the case was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt. We don't know the details of this case and that makes it difficult for us to judge the appropriateness of the league's decision. We can only hope the league did due diligence in their investigation of this case.

ArgoGabe22
11-18-2021, 04:39 PM

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 296px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29va2llX2V4cGlyY XRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWx sfSwidGZ3X2hvcml6b25fdHdlZXRfZW1iZWRfOTU1NSI6eyJid WNrZXQiOiJodGUiLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3NwYWN lX2NhcmQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib2ZmIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsb H19&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1461024081592172548&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com%2Fshowthread. php%3F6511-Transactions-Injuries-thread-(2021-TC-Regular-season)%2Fpage10&sessionId=78746fdc4241a3809baacb8f331918e260f343c4&theme=light&widgetsVersion=f001879%3A1634581029404&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1461024081592172548" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Looks like someone (an ex) did come forward and publicized everything on IG for all to see. So I'm guessing this information is "new" and does not relate back to Kent State.
<iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.a53eecb4584348a2ad32ec2ae21f6eae.htm l?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.a53eecb4584348a2ad32ec2ae21f6eae.htm l?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

7dj83r8f78t4alf8