PDA

View Full Version : Do the Argos take the CFL draft seriously enough?

1argoholic
06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Your thoughts. As I've said it doesn't seem to me like they do. I hate to see guys we draft get cut and other teams find solid Canadian talent that sticks. Why go off the board and constantly pick crap shoot type guys. Do we have anyone left that we drafted? I know we have some guys heading back to school next year but will we ever see any of them?

ArgoRavi
06-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Your thoughts. As I've said it doesn't seem to me like they do. I hate to see guys we draft get cut and other teams find solid Canadian talent that sticks. Why go off the board and constantly pick crap shoot type guys. Do we have anyone left that we drafted? I know we have some guys heading back to school next year but will we ever see any of them?

Three receivers whom they have drafted over the last two years are injured (Kouame, Feoli-Gudino and Hurst) so that isn't really something you can project. It is a possibility that Feoli-Gudino and Hurst could be back at some point. Hurst still has one year of eligibility. I wouldn't say that this is evidence that they don't take the draft seriously. Interestingly, two non-drafted Canadian players, David Lee (who beat out draftee Gregory Alexandre) and Anthony Alix, made the practice roster and both of them still have CIS eligibility remaining. Players like Aaron Crawford and Shea Pierre were late round picks this year and, again, they still do have CIS eligibility remaining. Let's see what the likes of Joe Eppele, Spencer Watt and Zander Robinson do this year. Other draft picks/unsigned Canadians on the roster include Andre Durie, Matt Black and Noel Prefontaine. Tyler Holmes and Joel Reinders are still in the pipeline.

1argoholic
06-23-2012, 08:42 PM
I can't understand why they look at the draft more as an option to perhaps find someone who could play three or four years down the road. I guess if we didn't trade for Ray we'd have a guy who could most likely start right away. I look at how successful Wally has been and he leaves no stone unturned. That starts by knowing you need the best possible Canadian talent. I don't think we've found great Canadian talent in the last number of years or at least we could have done more. I'm about bringing our own qb's, rb's and Canadian talent into this league. I guess we've finally turned the corner with rb's and hopefully Harris and Collaros.

ArgoRavi
06-24-2012, 03:23 AM
I can't understand why they look at the draft more as an option to perhaps find someone who could play three or four years down the road. I guess if we didn't trade for Ray we'd have a guy who could most likely start right away. I look at how successful Wally has been and he leaves no stone unturned. That starts by knowing you need the best possible Canadian talent. I don't think we've found great Canadian talent in the last number of years or at least we could have done more. I'm about bringing our own qb's, rb's and Canadian talent into this league. I guess we've finally turned the corner with rb's and hopefully Harris and Collaros.

We would have to look at a comparison among all of the teams since, let's say, 2003 to see if the Argos have fared much worse than other teams. Wally has done a good job lately finding some quality Canadians but he has also had his fair share of misses over the years too including a number of "futures" picks that never panned out for him. Again though, it would be interesting to see a comparison of all of the teams.

doubleblue
06-24-2012, 10:39 AM
I watched Iowa State's Spring Game online. The Argo's first pick this year Laing, looks ok IMO. Was dominant against the run and and broke through blockers to nail the running back for a loss. Also pressured the QB. If they can sign him next year, he should be able to work into a rotation position on the team at DT. He's looks about the size as Armstead. Looks like he is a starter at DT for Iowa State this fall and will probably get NFL attention.
TE Luke Wilson is so good he we may never see him in the CFL. This young WR Hurst has talent, but he is quite small.
But time will tell about this year's draft. You would like to see at least one eventual starter out of each year's draft.

1argoholic
06-24-2012, 08:56 PM
That's the thing. I'd like to see less real gamble type picks and more picks of guys that you know will never see the NFl and are just made for CFL ball.
I just miss having that star Canadian that we draft and bring along. We finally have found rb's without getting them in trade and hopefully young qb's. Just my own personal wish list.

jerrym
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
I think developing young Canadian receivers is the key. Nearly all the top Canadian receivers (Getzlaf, Gore, Foster, Watson, Stala, Durie, Forzani, Bagg and even Fantuz) today had few, if any, receptions or yardage in their first year and in some cases even in their second year. You can check this out at CFL.ca/stats by clicking on the player's name in the 2012 receiving stats. To me it therefore makes sense to take the players made for the CFL rather than the high risk-high reward players.

Argocister
06-28-2012, 12:11 AM
The draft is difficult to play as the GMs never know when the players will make it to their team.
here is a blog on an interesting concept ...... having the CFL and CIS having a relationship similar to the NHL - CHL , so that your draft picks can be "sent back" to the minors for further development yet the original drafting team can still have dibs on the player....

http://jimmullinnow.blogspot.ca/2012/06/cis-and-cfl-need-nhl-chl-deal.html

gilthethrill
06-28-2012, 07:12 AM
I watched Iowa State's Spring Game online. The Argo's first pick this year Laing, looks ok IMO. Was dominant against the run and and broke through blockers to nail the running back for a loss. Also pressured the QB. If they can sign him next year, he should be able to work into a rotation position on the team at DT. He's looks about the size as Armstead. Looks like he is a starter at DT for Iowa State this fall and will probably get NFL attention.
TE Luke Wilson is so good he we may never see him in the CFL. This young WR Hurst has talent, but he is quite small.
But time will tell about this year's draft. You would like to see at least one eventual starter out of each year's draft.

Sounds like Laing, if he continues to improve will be in an NFL camp next season..this is a recording....I am curious to see the lb from Northern Colorado, Tong Tong. He sounds like he may be a bit small for NFL but has solid numbers in college.

But yes, the Argos do take the draft seriously, why wouldn't they?

1argoholic
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
I guess I want to see results on the field right away. I know that isn't how it works but I wish the draft did more for us. I agree on this guy. Isn't Tone Tone or Tonie Tonie? haha.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8