PDA

View Full Version : MBT vs Michael Bishop - Who is the better QB?

ArgoRavi
08-20-2021, 07:29 PM
Let's have some fun. Who do you believe is the better Argos QB between MacLeod Bethel-Thompson and Michael Bishop? Both QBs seem to generate strong debate among fans - perhaps unlike any other QBs in the team's history.

Bishop played for the Argos from 2002 to 2008 and tantalized coaches and fans alike with his great potential. Unfortunately, he never quite realized that potential. He was the backup QB on the Grey Cup-winning team in 2004 and kept the team above water during a stretch of that season when Damon Allen was injured. However, Bishop's days as an Argo were numbered after a terrible performance in the 2007 East Final at SkyDome when he could produce only 9 points in a 19-9 loss to Winnipeg which still stings to this day.

MBT has also won a Grey Cup with the Argos as the third string QB in 2017. He has played the most of any QB since that time, mostly on a terrible team. He has engineered two of the finest comebacks in Argos history but continues to be maligned by many fans for a losing record and the perception that he doesn't throw an accurate deep ball.

So who is better? I am partial to MBT myself as he is a consummate leader and never quits. I also see significant improvement in him over the past three years. I was a defender of Bishop for a long time but his progress was painfully slow and the loss in the 2007 East Final hurts to this day. If I had to choose which QB to go with in a big game, I would choose MBT.

What do you think?

ArgoGabe22
08-20-2021, 08:42 PM
As a fan I’d rather watch Bishop 1000%. As a coach, I’d prefer MBT.

AngeloV
08-20-2021, 11:09 PM
Why Ravi? Why would you do this? 😂😂😂

Wobbler
08-20-2021, 11:40 PM
This is the CANADIAN football league, gentlemen. Why are you prioritizing NON-Canadian ball-throwers?

(MBT)

Will
08-21-2021, 09:23 AM
Why Ravi? Why would you do this? 

Spice things up :D

AngeloV
08-21-2021, 10:22 AM
Well, I am guilty of likening both guys. Bishop was really on a roll until he broke his wrist with us, and then never seemed to be the same. MBT is a great pro and team player. He’s also much better than some on here think he is.

jerrym
08-21-2021, 07:26 PM
MBT can pile up the yardage with his short passes but his failure to be able to consistently complete long balls makes the offence look lacklustre. I would rank MBT just ahead of Bishop. However, Arbuckle provided an electricity that seemed to infect the offence today that has the potential to make him better than either of them.

Stevoman
08-22-2021, 12:30 AM
Hmmm...fun comparison. I'd have to say that Bishop had far more potential (based on age upon arrival) but he peaked in 2007 before the wrist injury. He truly could've been so much more.

MBT doesn't have the same physical skill set nor potential but has a determination and composure that I greatly admire along with a tremendous work ethic.

Personally I'd rather have MBT but Bishop had the ability to take over some games in a way that Macleod probably wouldn't.

Will
08-24-2021, 04:28 PM
Bishop had the benefit of having an excellent defense and special teams when he was starting, which masked some of his deficiencies, although he had made strides by 2007 vs 2004. If memory serves, the Argos were very good down the stretch in 2007 (until the eastern final) but that Bishop was inconsistent at times. I recall a 16-9 win over Montreal and a win with a similar score over the Blue Bombers.

ArgoRavi
08-25-2021, 12:18 AM
Bishop had the benefit of having an excellent defense and special teams when he was starting, which masked some of his deficiencies, although he had made strides by 2007 vs 2004. If memory serves, the Argos were very good down the stretch in 2007 (until the eastern final) but that Bishop was inconsistent at times. I recall a 16-9 win over Montreal and a win with a similar score over the Blue Bombers.

The best game of Bishop's career may have been the regular season finale in Regina where the Argos clinched first place. Then he put in a stinker in the East Final two weeks later.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8