PDA

View Full Version : Unvaccinated players to be not allowed in division finals or Grey Cup

AngeloV
10-19-2021, 10:47 PM
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-players-who-can-t-travel-with-teams-to-division-finals-grey-cup-cannot-play-1.1708748

OK, I am on record as saying I believe everyone should get vaccinated, but at the same time, I also believe it to be a personal choice, and don't hold it against anyone that makes the choice not to be vaccinated. I think Ambrosie is doing a dangerous thing by implementing this for the divisional playoffs and Grey Cup. I can see a huge issue with the PA for starters here. I get that the travel ban is what is driving this, but if that truly is what is going to happen, teams are going to need to start playing only vaccinated players immediately so that they know who will be their players down the stretch. I just don't like starting the season with 1 set up rules and then finishing with another set.

ArgoGabe22
10-19-2021, 11:28 PM
Is it that difficult to just get tested and be able to drive in?

AngeloV
10-20-2021, 09:56 AM
Is it that difficult to just get tested and be able to drive in?

Drive in from Winnipeg or further to Hamilton for the Grey Cup? And who knows what winter driving conditions would be like? The league really should be working with the Government to get a 2 week extension on this at least for chartered flights.

Having said all that, I firmly believe the CFL will only have vaccinated players in the league in 2022. Players that can't fly to games will be of no use to teams. I also believe it will be agreed upon with the PA as they have to protect the majority of their members.

ArgoRavi
10-20-2021, 11:09 AM
Drive in from Winnipeg or further to Hamilton for the Grey Cup? And who knows what winter driving conditions would be like? The league really should be working with the Government to get a 2 week extension on this at least for chartered flights.

Having said all that, I firmly believe the CFL will only have vaccinated players in the league in 2022. Players that can't fly to games will be of no use to teams. I also believe it will be agreed upon with the PA as they have to protect the majority of their members.

I am in a leadership role in my union and the issue of mandatory vaccinations has been a tough one where I have to try to set aside my personal feelings (very pro-vaccine). What we tell our members is that they can grieve being forced to get vaccinated and they will be supported through that process but we also caution that there's a good chance that they will lose in arbitration. Even the Ontario Human Rights Commission came out recently with a statement along the lines that mandatory vaccination policies do not violate one's human rights. If people feel so strongly about not being vaccinated that they are willing to lose their jobs, so be it.

Whether the PA ultimately gets on board with mandatory vaccination or not, unvaccinated players will be unable to travel for road games in 2022 so what's the point of having them on your team?

Btw, I see that Trevor Harris just received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine this past weekend, James Wilder refuses to be vaccinated and 5 of the 9 teams, including Hamilton and Montreal but not Toronto, have reached the 85% threshold (according to 3DownNation).

AngeloV
10-20-2021, 12:35 PM
Btw, I see that Trevor Harris just received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine this past weekend, James Wilder refuses to be vaccinated and 5 of the 9 teams, including Hamilton and Montreal but not Toronto, have reached the 85% threshold (according to 3DownNation).

I can't help but wonder if any of the recent player releases have anything to do with vaccine status. Like I said, if they can't play in the division final and Grey Cup, they basically are useless to their teams at this point.

AngeloV
10-21-2021, 11:54 AM
As I suspected, we have not heard the last of this. The PA is looking into this. It honestly would not surprise me if the federal government issues a 2 week extension to this travel ban and all players become eligible to finish the season.

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/20/cfl-players-association-lawyers-examining-leagues-unilateral-covid-19-vaccine-travel-policy/

ArgoGabe22
10-21-2021, 04:15 PM
As I suspected, we have not heard the last of this. The PA is looking into this. It honestly would not surprise me if the federal government issues a 2 week extension to this travel ban and all players become eligible to finish the season.

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/20/cfl-players-association-lawyers-examining-leagues-unilateral-covid-19-vaccine-travel-policy/

Regardless of anyone's overall opinions on vaccines and mandate, isn't it unfair that NBA players get some sort of "National Interest" exemption while the CFL does not? So the CFL is not a national interest but NBA superstars from other teams are?

AngeloV
10-21-2021, 04:42 PM
Regardless of anyone's overall opinions on vaccines and mandate, isn't it unfair that NBA players get some sort of "National Interest" exemption while the CFL does not? So the CFL is not a national interest but NBA superstars from other teams are?

Are you sure about this Gabe? I don't think unvaccinated players can come into Canada. I know Tyler Bertuzzi of the Detroit Red Wings will not be able to, and he's got 3 Canadian teams in his division.

ArgoGabe22
10-21-2021, 04:56 PM
Are you sure about this Gabe? I don't think unvaccinated players can come into Canada. I know Tyler Bertuzzi of the Detroit Red Wings will not be able to, and he's got 3 Canadian teams in his division.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nba/unvaccinated-nba-players-eligible-play-toronto-national-interest-exemption/sn-amp/

AngeloV
10-21-2021, 06:42 PM
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nba/unvaccinated-nba-players-eligible-play-toronto-national-interest-exemption/sn-amp/

I don't get this. How can they avoid the travel ban? Mind you, that article is a month old, which is prior to the set date of Nov 1 for the flight and rail travel ban. Not sure if this is still true or not.

SkalbaniasGhost
10-21-2021, 07:06 PM
I don't get this. How can they avoid the travel ban? Mind you, that article is a month old, which is prior to the set date of Nov 1 for the flight and rail travel ban. Not sure if this is still true or not.

It's a big club....

7dj83r8f78t4alf8