PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

T-Bone
12-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Rogers Centre To Host Toronto FC’s CCL Quarterfinals (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/12/rogers-centre-host-toronto-fc’s-ccl-quarterfinals)

December 21, 2011

CCL match set to take place on Wednesday March 7 at 8 p.m

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the club will host their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal match against the LA Galaxy at Rogers Centre. The match is set to take place on Wednesday, March 7 at 8 p.m., with the concluding quarterfinal match in Los Angeles on Wednesday, March 14.

“A lot of thought went into selecting the home site for this very important match,” said Toronto FC Senior Director of Business Operations, Paul Beirne. “While we would have loved to host our quarterfinal match at our home, BMO Field, ultimately the decision came down to our ability to deliver a safe and enjoyable event in a venue that could withstand the unpredictability of March’s weather conditions.

We felt that BMO Field’s infrastructure in its present state combined with the exposure to the winter conditions would not deliver on this experience.”

Beirne added that Toronto FC and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment studied the feasibility of upgrading BMO Field’s infrastructure to prepare it for the winter CCL match. However, the time required to undertake the work would not allow the facility to be ready for early March.

Sandy Bourne, Vice-President Sponsorships, BMO Bank of Montreal said, “We support the team wherever they play, and wish them the very best. At the end of the day, fan comfort and safety are our key concern and we fully support the decision to hold the game at Rogers Centre.”

The CCL match will be played on artificial turf, indoors with the Rogers Centre’s roof closed.

Ticket details for the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal match between Toronto FC and LA Galaxy will be announced in early January

matchuk
12-21-2011, 10:45 PM
i thought tfc had their "own" stadium....so its ok for them to play at the dome, but not ok for cfl at bmo?

shayman
12-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Here we go again :-)

T-Bone
12-22-2011, 08:43 AM
i thought tfc had their "own" stadium....so its ok for them to play at the dome, but not ok for cfl at bmo?Did you read the article? The reasons for the move are in it. Also Rogers Centre can accommodate a FIFA regulation size pitch. BMO Field can not accommodate a CFL regulation size field which is why the CFL determined that BMO Field is not suitable for CFL use (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/statement-regarding-cfl-feasibility-study-on-bmo-field).

December 16, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toronto – The Toronto Argonauts Football Club has issued the following statement following receipt of the CFL’s Feasibility Study on BMO Field:

“We would like to thank the Board of Governors of the Canadian Football League for authorizing a feasibility study on the potential of BMO Field as a home for the Toronto Argonauts. We accept the study’s main finding that while BMO Field is a fine facility, our unique brand of Canadian football could not be played there in its current state. In particular, extensive field measurements performed by a surveyor have indicated BMO field cannot adequately accommodate our game.

Our focus is now squarely on providing great game day entertainment in 2010 for our fans at Rogers Centre, a place we have been proud to call home for two decades. It is a first-class facility with state of the art media facilities, locker room facilities and technology. Our season ticket holders remain happy with Rogers Centre and its accessibility to the downtown core, as well as its indoor option in inclement weather. Rogers Centre is able to house our existing fan base and provides opportunity for future growth.

Our ownership now plans to reflect on its future over the holiday season and does not anticipate any further announcements until the New Year.”The Montreal Alouettes play their post season games at Olympic Stadium, I don't see how this is any different then that.

Will
12-22-2011, 08:57 AM
What did Angelo tell you about starting these threads! :) :)

bluto
12-23-2011, 10:55 AM
posting on the 1st page of what will be Argofans.com's longest thread!!!1!!

T-Bone
12-30-2011, 09:03 AM
2011/2012 Champions League (http://www.torontofc.ca/championsleague)

ArgoRavi
12-30-2011, 01:47 PM
So is this Champions League tournament bigger than the MLS? Toronto FC has been abysmal in their regular league play but are world-beaters this year in this Champions League business.

matchuk
12-30-2011, 10:13 PM
no shit....i have known for years now that bmo could not accomidate the cfl...i did read the article yes, and understand why the move was done....my comment was just based on how tfc fans want nothing else at bmo, but need rogers centre when it comes down to it....

T-Bone
12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
So is this Champions League tournament bigger than the MLS? Toronto FC has been abysmal in their regular league play but are world-beaters this year in this Champions League business.The Campions League is an international tournament so it is consider more important, making this the biggest game in TFC history so far. Unfortunately TFC has suffered from mismanagement in the past and this season was a rebuild year yet again. The team did improve though from July forward and I think we have the right coach and management team in place now to compete next season.

no shit....i have known for years now that bmo could not accomidate the cfl...i did read the article yes, and understand why the move was done....my comment was just based on how tfc fans want nothing else at bmo, but need rogers centre when it comes down to it....TFC fans didn't complain about the The Nationals (http://nationalslacrosse.com/) playing their first season at BMO Field or the Canadian National Rugby Union team playing a game there this year. This issue is not that TFC fans want nothing else at BMO Field. In the case of the Argos moving in to BMO Field the issue is the building would have to be renovated which could possibly compromise sight lines and bring the integrity of the pitch in to question.

Ballstothewall
01-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Your sugar coating the issue a bit there T-Bone. We both know that if the Argos even played an exhibition game at BMO using the smaller field surface, that the RED Patch Boys and all the other TFC supporter groups, would be out in front of BMO protesting the game. Protesting another T.O team. You know its true as they had their protest plans already to go. They don't care about the nationals and the rugby team, as they are not threats. The Argos are. TFC fans think they own the public BMO stadium, we both know this to be true. i used to go to TFC games in their 1st and second year, the hatred by some of their fans to the Argos and CFL is palpable, you can feel it if you ever wear any CFL branding to any TFC game. It's so very very sad

matchuk
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
i highly doubt the tfc fans dont want the argos there just because the sightlines of the "pitch"...its more then that

also, a "pitch" is what a person throws over home plate to a batter

T-Bone
01-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Your sugar coating the issue a bit there T-Bone. We both know that if the Argos even played an exhibition game at BMO using the smaller field surface, that the RED Patch Boys and all the other TFC supporter groups, would be out in front of BMO protesting the game. Protesting another T.O team. You know its true as they had their protest plans already to go. They don't care about the nationals and the rugby team, as they are not threats. The Argos are. TFC fans think they own the public BMO stadium, we both know this to be true. i used to go to TFC games in their 1st and second year, the hatred by some of their fans to the Argos and CFL is palpable, you can feel it if you ever wear any CFL branding to any TFC game. It's so very very sadYou are correct that TFC fans don't care about The Nationals or the Canadian National Rugby Union team playing at BMO Field because those teams don't need to retrofit the building to play there. The only threat the Argos pose to TFC fans is the changes to BMO Field if they were to move in, which is the point I have already made. Since that threat was pretty much neutralized on December 16, 2009 I haven't seen any protest at BMO Field regarding the Argos.

i highly doubt the tfc fans dont want the argos there just because the sightlines of the "pitch"...its more then thatThe only other reason I can think of that TFC fans would be upset with modifications of BMO Field to accommodate the Argos is that the building was the first ever soccer specific stadium in the country. It is sort of a symbol of a new era for soccer in Canada a sport that has been underrated for far longer in this country than the Argos have been in Toronto.

also, a "pitch" is what a person throws over home plate to a batterIt's your choice to be ignorant of the multiple definitions of the word however it will not stop others from using them.

shayman
01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
You are correct that TFC fans don't care about The Nationals
lacrosse

or the Canadian National Rugby Union team

rugby

the building was the first ever soccer specific stadium in the country.

Apparently not.

It is sort of a symbol of a new era for soccer in Canada a sport that has been underrated for far longer in this country than the Argos have been in Toronto.

T-Bone, as usual you make many good points but it's hard to understand what you mean by this. The Argos have been in Toronto since 1873. Have soccer fans been grumbling about a lack of respect since 1872?

T-Bone
01-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Apparently not.Just because the building can accommodate other sports doesn't mean the building is not soccer specific. The building was designed for soccer and it is called the National Soccer Stadium for FIFA International Matches.

T-Bone, as usual you make many good points but it's hard to understand what you mean by this. The Argos have been in Toronto since 1873. Have soccer fans been grumbling about a lack of respect since 1872?Have Argo fans been grumbling about a lack of respect since 1873? I thought the Argos were well respected in this city and it wasn't until more recently that Argos fans started feeling disrespected.

argolio
01-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, are there any Argo threads on the TFC fan forum?

ArgoRavi
01-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Those Red Patch folks would probably track down anyone who posted about the Argos on there and kill them. :)

matchuk
01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
It's your choice to be ignorant of the multiple definitions of the word however it will not stop others from using them.

it was a friggin joke dude.....lighten up...i would think the "quotation marks" would have made it obvious....

T-Bone
01-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Let me Google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Just+out+of+curiosity%2C+are+there+any+Argo+thr eads+on+the+TFC+fan+forum%3F).

it was a friggin joke dude.....lighten up...i would think the "quotation marks" would have made it obvious....If that's the case I apologize. I'm still curious as to what "more" you believe there is to TFC fans not wanting the Argos at BMO Field.

In other news: Beckham Remains? The Real Story (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/beckham-remains-real-story)

argolio
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
I'll take that as a no.

Mulder
01-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I'll take that as a no.

you have to sign up on RPB to see it, but yes, there is an Argo thread.

It's not viewable unless you sign up.

T-Bone
01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
2012 TFC Schedule (http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule)

matchuk
01-05-2012, 09:30 PM
If that's the case I apologize. I'm still curious as to what "more" you believe there is to TFC fans not wanting the Argos at BMO Field.

i just think, in my opinion, that tfc fans dont want the argos at bmo because they think its "their" stadium, and no one else should play there....if a stadium was made with the argos being the main attraction there, i would be somewhat pissed if they were talking about playing soccer games there...i truly think tfc fans think its theirs for soccer only....doesnt their chant go "this is our house", its a hidden message....

enough quotation marks

T-Bone
01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
i just think, in my opinion, that tfc fans dont want the argos at bmo because they think its "their" stadium, and no one else should play thereIf that were the case then why were there no protests against the community time, or the Genesis concert, or the Canadian National Rugby Union team game, or The Nations playing their first season at BMO Field?

if a stadium was made with the argos being the main attraction there, i would be somewhat pissed if they were talking about playing soccer games thereYou're saying if the situation was reversed you would feel similarly as the TFC fans do now. Isn't that a little hypocritical then to be upset at them? I'm confused now as to what you're upset about.

i truly think tfc fans think its theirs for soccer only....doesnt their chant go "this is our house", its a hidden message....It's a common soccer chant and is used in other sports as well.

enough quotation marksOk.

In other news:

CONCACAF ticket prices announced for Toronto FC (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1111530--concacaf-ticket-prices-announced-for-toronto-fc)

January 06, 2012

Daniel Girard

Toronto FC will host the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final against the defending Major League Soccer title-holders L.A. Galaxy on March 7 at Rogers Centre.

VINCE TALOTTA/TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO

Ticket prices will range between $12 and $69 for Toronto FC’s CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final against the defending Major League Soccer title-holders L.A. Galaxy.

About 70 per cent of the seats at the 45,000-capacity Rogers Centre will be priced under $30 for the March 7 match, said Paul Beirne, the club’s senior director of business operations.

“It’s going to be loud,” Beirne told reporters at a news conference.

Beirne said the club would have preferred to play the game at BMO Field, its usual home, but concerns about the unpredictability of the weather forced it inside.

The return leg against the Galaxy, who are likely to have David Beckham in the lineup, is March 14 in California.

Tickets will go on sale to season seat holders Monday and be available to the general public next Friday.

The club also announced Friday that former MLS coach of the year Thomas Rongen, 55, is the new director of TFC Academy.

shayman
01-06-2012, 03:01 PM
If that were the case then why were there no protests against the community time, or the Genesis concert, or the Canadian National Rugby Union team game, or The Nations playing their first season at BMO Field?

You'd have to concede that

- occasional community use (an original purpose for the building, but now discontinued)
- a one-off Genesis concert, so far (AFAIK) the only concert ever held at BMO Field
- a one-shot rugby game
- a minor league lacrosse team that promptly bailed out to the smaller Lamport Stadium, and then left Toronto entirely for Hamilton

would probably provoke different emotions (my guess: "shrugging") than the potential arrival of the Toronto Argonauts, a storied team with a substantial following in a high profile league.

T-Bone
01-06-2012, 03:09 PM
You'd have to concede that

- occasional community use (an original purpose for the building, but now discontinued)
- a one-off Genesis concert, so far (AFAIK) the only concert ever held at BMO Field
- a one-shot rugby game
- a minor league lacrosse team that promptly bailed out to the smaller Lamport Stadium, and then left Toronto entirely for Hamilton

would probably provoke different emotions (my guess: "shrugging") than the potential arrival of the Toronto Argonauts, a storied team with a substantial following in a high profile league.Yes, because none of those events required the building to be altered in any way which would not be the case if the Argos were to move in and play there. As well at the time the Argos were looking at BMO Field the natural grass had not been installed yet. TFC fans were worried that if the Argos moved in the chances of getting a natural grass pitch would be jeopardized. Also there is limited community use still at BMO Field.

shayman
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM
OK. I contend that even if a (probably impossible) plan were devised to allow the Argos to play at BMO without modifying the experience for TFC games in any way - via sliding end-zone seats that move in for soccer and back for football, or the Argos playing on a 90 yard field, or the creation of a time machine that allows us to go back a decade and have the stadium built properly in the first place - that many rabid TFC fans would still complain., because they think of BMO as "their" stadium.

Tell me I'm wrong.

or the Argos playing on a 90 yard field

btw - football trivia - the London Lords of the old ORFU used to play at Labatt Park. It's a baseball stadium, and football was played across the outfield. A football field just wouldn't quite fit. So the chains and yard markings were quietly shortened, and for years, nobody knew.

T-Bone
01-06-2012, 03:39 PM
OK. I contend that even if a (probably impossible) plan were devised to allow the Argos to play at BMO without modifying the experience for TFC games in any way - via sliding end-zone seats that move in for soccer and back for football, or the Argos playing on a 90 yard field, or the creation of a time machine that allows us to go back a decade and have the stadium built properly in the first place - that many rabid TFC fans would still complain., because they think of BMO as "their" stadium.

Tell me I'm wrong.I agree TFC fans would still be upset with moving end-zone seats now. I don't know about the Argos playing an exhibition game at BMO Field now. Even if it was a one off thing there probably would be some grumbling due to the past. Remember previously it was going to be done with the intent on possibly moving in, in the future hence the backlash. I would hope now that, that is not likely that the attitude to a one off game would be different. I would think that playing on a shorter field though would upset many CFL fans. Is that not part of the reason why the CFL opted not to even try an exhibition game at BMO Field? Had the building been able to accommodate both sports from the beginning when it was built, then we wouldn't be having this discussion in my opinion.

btw - football trivia - the London Lords of the old ORFU used to play at Labatt Park. It's a baseball stadium, and football was played across the outfield. A football field just wouldn't quite fit. So the chains and yard markings were quietly shortened, and for years, nobody knew.I believe they used to also play football at Fenway Park.

matchuk
01-06-2012, 10:43 PM
If that were the case then why were there no protests against the community time, or the Genesis concert, or the Canadian National Rugby Union team game, or The Nations playing their first season at BMO Field?

You're saying if the situation was reversed you would feel similarly as the TFC fans do now. Isn't that a little hypocritical then to be upset at them? I'm confused now as to what you're upset about.

It's a common soccer chant and is used in other sports as well.

Ok.

the community time i dont believe is a big issue because it is building soccer in toronto...not to mention im sure a few tfc fans have taken the advantage and played on tfcs turf...and this is the first i knew about a genesis concert at bmo, so im sure it was pretty uncommon knowledge...as for the other teams, they are small potatoes, which, like the genesis concert, im sure many tfc fans didnt even know about

i dont believe i ever once said i was upset...i just simply made a comment that it was funny how they had their cherished bmo field, and end up playing one of their games at rogers centre...yes, if they built a field specifically for the argos, and tfc started to horn in, and we were beginning to share the stadium, i would be a little peeved, wondering what was going on....im sure you are going to contest this, but im not pissed at the situation now because i know the rogers centre is used for several other events around the year, and we are second fiddle to the jays...i dont see how this is being hypocritical, since i didnt oppose to them playing at rogers, just thought it was funny...

as far as the hidden message in the chant, again, a joke...and again, chill

ArgoRavi
01-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Back in the mid 1970s, a fine football-only facility in Toronto had to be reconfigured to accommodate the Blue Jays which made that facility not as good for football. Did Argo fans complain about that back then?

T-Bone
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
the community time i dont believe is a big issue because it is building soccer in toronto...not to mention im sure a few tfc fans have taken the advantage and played on tfcs turfCommunity time is good for everyone. People play soccer, touch/flag football, ultimate frisbee, etc.

this is the first i knew about a genesis concert at bmo, so im sure it was pretty uncommon knowledge...as for the other teams, they are small potatoes, which, like the genesis concert, im sure many tfc fans didnt even know aboutAll of those events were advertised during TFC games.

i dont believe i ever once said i was upset...i just simply made a comment that it was funny how they had their cherished bmo field, and end up playing one of their games at rogers centreOk, but I don't see that as funny because the reasons for playing at Rogers Centre make sense.

yes, if they built a field specifically for the argos, and tfc started to horn in, and we were beginning to share the stadium, i would be a little peeved, wondering what was going on....im sure you are going to contest this, but im not pissed at the situation now because i know the rogers centre is used for several other events around the year, and we are second fiddle to the jays...i dont see how this is being hypocritical, since i didnt oppose to them playing at rogers, just thought it was funny...Ok. Tone can be difficult to figure out when you are reading on a message board and your post came off as someone upset about the situation to me. I have no reason to doubt you now that you're telling me you're not upset, I just wasn't sure what your position on the topic was.

as far as the hidden message in the chant, again, a joke...and again, chillAgain tone is difficult to read sometimes and there were no quotations on this statement.

Back in the mid 1970s, a fine football-only facility in Toronto had to be reconfigured to accommodate the Blue Jays which made that facility not as good for football. Did Argo fans complain about that back then?I don't know I wasn't alive in 1977.

In other news:
http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/Rogers_Seating010612.pdf

matchuk
01-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Community time is good for everyone. People play soccer, touch/flag football, ultimate frisbee, etc.

i dont believe i argued against that

All of those events were advertised during TFC games.

i take it you were there to witness this? i knew about the other events, not genesis, if it was advertised at bmo, what do you want, me to say sorry? again, the other events were small, im sure tfc fans may see the argos as some sort of threat..either in posters/merch around bmo, or the red paint/seats turing blue, etc...

Ok, but I don't see that as funny because the reasons for playing at Rogers Centre make sense.

i agree that the reasons for playing at rc make sense...not once did i say otherwise....i think you are taking things way too literal here man, honestly, chill out...yeah, its funny...tfc fans have their cherished stadium with they love so much, their house, but have to revert to rc because its tooo cold....c mon man, are you honestly going to do the same bs with that to? quote it and argue that its not funny, ok dad

Ok. Tone can be difficult to figure out when you are reading on a message board and your post came off as someone upset about the situation to me. I have no reason to doubt you now that you're telling me you're not upset, I just wasn't sure what your position on the topic was.

next time read the post....heres an example...

sentence 1 - "its funny the are playing at rogers centre"
sentence 2 - "i am so angry they are playing at rogers centre"

can you telll which one shows that the writer is more upset? i would go with number 2...why would the 1st even be understood as mad? you tell me

Again tone is difficult to read sometimes and there were no quotations on this statement.

look "forward" to "quotations" in this "post"! you know what, heres some more """"""""""""""""""""""

i thought tfc had their "own" stadium....so its ok for them to play at the dome, but not ok for cfl at bmo?

this was my first post...you are right, i was livid here, cant you tell?

T-Bone
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
i dont believe i argued against thatI don't believe I said you argued against it, lighten up. I was just elaborating on the point as more than just soccer is played there.

i take it you were there to witness this? i knew about the other events, not genesis, if it was advertised at bmo, what do you want, me to say sorry?I was just stating a fact as I was at every season one TFC game at BMO Field and it was advertised more than once, chill.

the other events were small, im sure tfc fans may see the argos as some sort of threat..either in posters/merch around bmo, or the red paint/seats turing blue, etc...TFC fans did see the Argos as a threat to BMO Field but now that it is highly unlikely the Argos will move in they are no longer a threat.

are you honestly going to do the same bs with that to? quote it and argue that its not funny, ok dadDon't worry I won't, son. I was just trying to figure out the point of your post but it's clear there wasn't much of one. Take it easy.

matchuk
01-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't believe I said you argued against it, lighten up. I was just elaborating on the point as more than just soccer is played there.
well, it sure as hell seemed that way when you were posting

I was just stating a fact as I was at every season one TFC game at BMO Field and it was advertised more than once, chill.
ok.....i didnt argue that at all.....im sure you will complain about this too, and yes, i did ask if you were there to see this...all you had to do was say....."YES"....and i am totally chilled guy, im actually laughing at this nonsense

TFC fans did see the Argos as a threat to BMO Field but now that it is highly unlikely the Argos will move in they are no longer a threat.
i agree...wow, we agree on something, thats so nice

Don't worry I won't, son. I was just trying to figure out the point of your post but it's clear there wasn't much of one. Take it easy.
hahaha....my first post really didnt mean anything, all i said was, and i quote "i thought tfc had their "own" stadium....so its ok for them to play at the dome, but not ok for cfl at bmo?".....it was more or less a joke, fib, wisecrack, gag, jape, quip, jest...whatever someone of your high intellect calls it....if i remember correctly, you are the one who started with me.....son

T-Bone
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Toronto FC CCL Quarterfinal Tickets on Sale Now (http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/10004823DD238F24?artistid=1110670&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11)

argonaut11xx
01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
i must say...soccer is retarded...boring, and stupid...

even the TFC ...they are the Toronto Soccer Club....so they screwed up thier own acromyn....

294life
02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Montreal Impact home opener march 17th against Chicago Fire already has 25,000 tix sold yet the als can't sell out a single game, go figure.

we play home and home with your FC for the canadian championship semi. gonna be dope.

T-Bone
02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Montreal Impact home opener march 17th against Chicago Fire already has 25,000 tix sold yet the als can't sell out a single game, go figure.

we play home and home with your FC for the canadian championship semi. gonna be dope.I'll be in Montreal for the April 7th game and I'm looking forward to the Canadian Championship games as well.

294life
02-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I'll be in Montreal for the April 7th game and I'm looking forward to the Canadian Championship games as well.

The Leafs are in Montreal for the season finale the same night and it's easter long weekend so there should be an influx of ontarians.

R.J
02-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Whats a TFC ? is it an organization that hopes to last longer then the Blizzard ?

LLB997
02-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Back in the mid 1970s, a fine football-only facility in Toronto had to be reconfigured to accommodate the Blue Jays which made that facility not as good for football. Did Argo fans complain about that back then?

Torontonians then > Torontonians now

T-Bone
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Back in the mid 1970s, a fine football-only facility in Toronto had to be reconfigured to accommodate the Blue Jays which made that facility not as good for football. Did Argo fans complain about that back then?Like I said before, I wasn't alive in 1977 so I don't know if Argo fans complained when Exhibition Stadium was expanded to accommodate the Blue Jays. The playing surface was changed which may have upset people, however I would assume back then the attitude towards AstroTurf was different as it was still a newer technology. Plus the playing surface in football doesn't affect the game as much as it does in baseball or soccer. The current grandstand wasn't changed maintaining the original sightlines so there was no issue there. Also more seats meant more people could see games potentially expanding the fan base which I would assume was seen as a positive.

Torontonians then > Torontonians nowSo by that same logic Torontonian Argo fans then > Torontonian Argo fans now. I'm sure that statment makes newer Argos fans feel good.

Will
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
When I get the opportunity I can go through the Star archives to see if there is any mention of any unhappiness from Argo fans regarding the renovations to Exhibition Stadium for the Toronto Blue Jays. I suspect that there was excitement generally in Toronto to the prospect of a major league baseball team though. The grandstand of Exhibition Stadium wasn't changed that is true, but the new "L" shaped grandstand that was built for baseball couldn't have been great for football once you got past where the bench seats ended and the chairs began.

R.J
02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
So by that same logic Torontonian Argo fans then > Torontonian Argo fans now. I'm sure that statment makes newer Argos fans feel good. I disagree with that, Argos fans are still very similar, just a lot less of a fan base nowadays. TFC fans view the Argos as a threat, probably why they are so negative towards the Argos. Raptors fans have been taking it for years, and continue to do so, yet they don't seem to mind the Argos TFC, Blue Jays.

argonaut11xx
02-07-2012, 08:03 AM
The perfect senario is....let the T.S.C...Toronto Soccer Club, just fad away or move...then re-jig BMO as the Home of the Argonauts...

This soccer team is pretty bad, the league is about a 5th tier compared to real soccer...so its only a matter of time (hopefully) before it go's away, and the stadium can be used for a REAL sport, and a REAL team....

(watch the drunken soccer fans get angry at me now...haha)

T-Bone
02-07-2012, 09:09 AM
I disagree with that, Argos fans are still very similar, just a lot less of a fan base nowadays.I also disagree with LLB997's comment. It is a stupid generalization made with no thought behind it. My response to LLB997's comment was sarcastic. Though there maybe fewer Argo fans now then there were then there is still a very passionate fan base now. I think the biggest problem with the fan base is that it is fractured. If Argo fans start getting together and organizing they could be a much stronger voice. Message boards like this are a great start but that is part of the reason why I'm organizing the get together. No matter what your opinion of TFC fans, they are united and organized when it matters.

TFC fans view the Argos as a threat, probably why they are so negative towards the Argos. Raptors fans have been taking it for years, and continue to do so, yet they don't seem to mind the Argos TFC, Blue Jays.Though TFC fans viewed the Argos as a threat to the atmosphere of BMO Field they are currently not one and why are many Argo fans so negative towards TFC and their fans? I still don't understand the point of your post though. Are you trying to justify stupid statements such as this:

Whats a TFC ? is it an organization that hopes to last longer then the Blizzard ?

by Argos fans towards TFC and their fans because Raptors fans have been "taking it for years" and they don't retaliate against the Argos, TFC, Blue Jays? So that makes it ok?

R.J
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
It was just a joke T-Bone, I don't think the Argos were only a threat to TFC fans because of BMO, TFC knows that they are the lowest on the totem pole, only above the Rock at this point, so everything at or above TFC is a threat. If Bmo were originally built as mulit-purpose I'm sure soccer fans would still complain and wonder why they're being treated so (not having their "own home"). However IMO TFC just like the Raptors are not as strong as they appear, MLSE's Ownership is a big reason why both seem to sell "well".

T-Bone
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't think the Argos were only a threat to TFC fans because of BMOHow else were the Argos a threat to TFC fans?

TFC knows that they are the lowest on the totem pole, only above the Rock at this point, so everything at or above TFC is a threat. If Bmo were originally built as mulit-purpose I'm sure soccer fans would still complain and wonder why they're being treated so (not having their "own home"). However IMO TFC just like the Raptors are not as strong as they appear, MLSE's Ownership is a big reason why both seem to sell "well".You're entitled to your opinions but I prefer to deal with facts not imaginary totem poles.

R.J
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
How else were the Argos a threat to TFC fans?

You're entitled to your opinions but I prefer to deal with facts not imaginary totem poles.
Imaginary totems poles ? You seriously think that TFC is anywhere near the popularity and media coverage as The Raps, Jays, Leafs or even the Argos ? Yeah, TFC might have a more vocal fan base, and go "strong" to games, but the TV numbers are horrible even lower then the Raps. The Media rarely even brings up TFC let alone the MLS. How else were the Argos a threat its very simple, when TSN signed the MLS TV contract all TFC fans were talking about how "hopefully we get the same coverage as the CFL", which didn't happen. The Argos are a threat, because of what they are and mean to this country, soccer fans always complain about being kicked aside and for some reason like to look down upon the CFL. Yet the CFL is very clearly the number 2 Pro Football league in the world and MLS is what 88th ?

T-Bone
02-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Imaginary totems poles ? You seriously think that TFC is anywhere near the popularity and media coverage as The Raps, Jays, Leafs or even the Argos ? Yeah, TFC might have a more vocal fan base, and go "strong" to games, but the TV numbers are horrible even lower then the Raps. The Media rarely even brings up TFC let alone the MLS. How else were the Argos a threat its very simple, when TSN signed the MLS TV contract all TFC fans were talking about how "hopefully we get the same coverage as the CFL", which didn't happen. The Argos are a threat, because of what they are and mean to this country, soccer fans always complain about being kicked aside and for some reason like to look down upon the CFL.So you're saying the Argos are a threat to TFC fans because the Argos are more popular than TFC. The only criteria for popularity you use in your post above appears to be TV ratings though you provide no actual stats. I've seen TV ratings comparisons of the two teams and in this case you are correct that the Argos are more popular than TFC in the TV ratings. However popularity is a subjective standard by which to measure something. I would argue that TV ratings alone do not determine the popularity of a sports team and that other criteria should be considered in the debate. Perhaps season ticket holder numbers, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. but I'm not interested in popularity contests.

Yet the CFL is very clearly the number 2 Pro Football league in the world and MLS is what 88th ?I don't know where you pulled those numbers from but your statement proves nothing as it is missing crucial data. How many professional football leagues are there in the world? How many professional soccer leagues are there in the world? If you want to compare the two sports on a global scale using your criteria of TV ratings for popularity then soccer is a far more popular sport than football. Like I said though, I'm not interested in popularity contests.

Mulder
02-08-2012, 08:43 AM
While I love a good debate, Please keep it civil and follow the rules.

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2-Argofans.com-Forum-Rules

specifically

1. Personal attacks are not tolerated. It is possible to disagree without personally insulting fellow posters. Lets show respect for fellow posters just as we would on the street. Threatening ARGO FANS members with phsyical violence will not be tolerated.

5. "Trolling" and "fishing" is not tolerated. "Trolling" or "fishing" by definition, means to make a post that goes against the grain, not because it is a true opinion, but to get a negative reaction and cause a disruption to the forum.

8. Fans of all teams are allowed and encouraged to post here and shall not be harassed, bullied, demeaned, treated like an inferior, or felt unwelcome based on anything in relation to the politics of what a "true fan" is. This includes, but is not limited to money and leisure time (or lack there of) committed to their favorite CFL team(s).

argonaut11xx
02-08-2012, 10:35 AM
hmmm....its a heated debate for sure...

that said...Soccer is retarded....and boring

R.J
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Please boot me out then or ban me then.

T-Bone
02-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Please boot me out then or ban me then.I don't believe your previous post violated the rules and that Mulder's warning was directed at you alone. I believe it is a general warning to everyone as there have already been a few posts deleted in this thread as they clearly violated the rules.

argonaut11xx
02-08-2012, 01:21 PM
I bow before the MIGHTY Toronto Soccer Club.... i have been humbled.....

Will
02-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Look, nobody is telling you that you have to love TFC. I've been to a few games and enjoyed them, but wouldn't call myself a committed fan.However, it is the duty of EVERYONE participating in the thread to keep things civil. Threads about soccer have been controversial on the old site and this one and this one was no different.

Furthermore, a moderator would step in if a thread got contentious no matter the topic. Don't think Mulder is just here to silence criticism of soccer.

argonaut11xx
02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
I completely understand....no worries...while we can bash each other's opinions, bash the argo's when they are not performing...its hands off the soccer team....

makes perfect sence to me.....

Go Argo's....

hehe

R.J
02-08-2012, 02:53 PM
I completely understand....no worries...while we can bash each other's opinions, bash the argo's when they are not performing...its hands off the soccer team....

makes perfect sense to me.....

Go Argo's....

heheActually we can't even bash the Argos, it's too NEGATIVE and the site might be shut down. Everything has to be sunshine and roses. BTW since when did the internet become a place where people lose freedom of speech, I'd understand if someone is being threatened or attacked or there is continuous swearing from a poster etc, aside from that I just don't get it.

argonaut11xx
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey SnowRogue....

the sun is shining brightly today......why?...

the toronto soccer team is having an outdoor practice, of course....

T-Bone
02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Actually we can't even bash the Argos, it's too NEGATIVE and the site might be shut down. Everything has to be sunshine and roses.I don't believe that is the case. There is a difference between bashing and constructive criticism. Constructive criticism encourages discussion and that is good, bashing does not.

BTW since when did the internet become a place where people lose freedom of speech, I'd understand if someone is being threatened or attacked or there is continuous swearing from a poster etc, aside from that I just don't get it.There is also a difference between saying whatever you want and freedom of speech. Freedom of speech has its limits. There is a reason we have laws to prevent hate speech. In this case by signing up to this forum you agree to follow the rules that are laid out and if moderators feel a post is out of line they have the right to delete it.

makes perfect sence to me.....

Go Argo's....

heheAgain there is a difference between bashing and constructive criticism. I assume your posts were deleted because they were hateful statements that did not encourage further discussion. You believe soccer is "retarded and boring." You're entitled to that opinion but how does that opinion further discussion? What is the point in posting it in a thread about soccer? I personally don't post in threads unless I feel my post furthers discussion or adds value of some sort. I'm not a big fan of curling but I wouldn't go out of my way to express my opinion that it is boring on a forum or thread about it. I respect the fact that other people enjoy the sport and that my opinion doesn't matter to them.

argonaut11xx
02-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Hey T-Bone....

You LOST me completely, and totally with your comment "Freedom of speech has its limits"...

to say i disagree is the biggest understatement in the world.... Millions gave their lives so we could have the Freedom of speech, and expression...(good or bad)..

anyways....kinda sad when the busiest thread is about a soccer team, and not the Argonauts

T-Bone
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Hey T-Bone....

You LOST me completely, and totally with your comment "Freedom of speech has its limits"...

to say i disagree is the biggest understatement in the world.... Millions gave their lives so we could have the Freedom of speech, and expression...(good or bad)..

anyways....kinda sad when the busiest thread is about a soccer team, and not the ArgonautsWe can discuss it further at Saturdays get together over a pint.

Mulder
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Hey T-Bone....

anyways....kinda sad when the busiest thread is about a soccer team, and not the Argonauts

It's the off-season, 2 weeks until free-agency starts. And the Schedule isn't out yet!

What do you expect!

T-Bone
02-09-2012, 10:32 AM
There's no romance in Toronto the Good (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/08/theres-no-romance-in-toronto-the-good)

Our sports teams aren’t helping either, though the Maple Leafs have been driving us wild for 40 years.

The problem, mostly, is their primary colour, blue. The Jays, Leafs, Rock, Marlies and Argos all use it. Blue screams: “Cold! Frigid!”

Only our soccer team gets it. Red is the sexiest colour, science says. I’m told you are far more likely to get lucky after a Toronto FC game

Mulder
02-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Funny, He forgot that basketball team that wears red.

T-Bone
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Funny, He forgot that basketball team that wears red."You seriously think that TFC is anywhere near the popularity and media coverage as The Raps ? (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?66-The-Toronto-FC-Thread&p=1924&viewfull=1#post1924)"

R.J
02-09-2012, 12:09 PM
"You seriously think that TFC is anywhere near the popularity and media coverage as The Raps ? (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?66-The-Toronto-FC-Thread&p=1924&viewfull=1#post1924)"Aside from the fact, that you flat out making a joke of what I said........... which I really donèt care about, I find it funny how you do not believe that TFC in comparison to the other teams in Toronto are. Popularity maybe canèt be measured, but media coverage can, so please stop trying to justify TFC as a real team or that they compare to other Toronto based teams. Let us be honest if TFC, the Raps and Blue Jays were not owned by MLSE, they wouldnt exist.

T-Bone
02-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Aside from the fact, that you flat out making a joke of what I said........... which I really donèt care about, I find it funny how you do not believe that TFC in comparison to the other teams in Toronto are. Popularity maybe canèt be measured, but media coverage can, so please stop trying to justify TFC as a real team or that they compare to other Toronto based teams. Let us be honest if TFC, the Raps and Blue Jays were not owned by MLSE, they wouldnt exist.What I believe doesn't matter. You have presented an argument that other sports teams in Toronto are more popular than TFC, so the burden of proof (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof) falls on you to prove it. All you keep posting about is media coverage, yet you have provided not a single statistic. Like I said before popularity is a subjective measurement that should include more than one aspect of a teams existence to make it a fair and accurate measurement for comparison. Perhaps you should do some research and come back with stats about season ticket holder numbers, ticket sales, merchandise sales, Twitter followers, etc. Until then I have nothing further to discus with you on which team is more popular than which in Toronto. The truth is the popularity of a team compared to other teams in the same city doesn't factor in to my enjoyment of that team. Also MLSE does not own the Toronto Blue Jays.

ArgoGabe22
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Not a TFC fan, only been to one game but I love soccer equal to if not more than football and I got to say this is the stupidest discussion I have never seen. On a side note I think its funny that Argo fans are commenting on TFC owners. I hate MLSE too but the Argos had the worst owners in the CFL. If it wasn't for Candy we may not even exist. What if C&S didn't get help from Braley then what?

T-Bone
02-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Not a TFC fan, only been to one game but I love soccer equal to if not more than football and I got to say this is the stupidest discussion I have never seen.I've seen stupider. However I agree that presenting an argument for debate and then not providing any factual proof does not make for a very strong argument.

On a side note I think its funny that Argo fans are commenting on TFC owners. I hate MLSE too but the Argos had the worst owners in the CFL. If it wasn't for Candy we may not even exist. What if C&S didn't get help from Braley then what?I agree. Instead of blaming MLSE perhaps people should put the blame where it belongs.

ArgoGabe22
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Canada follows the CFL. 8 franchises across the country, 100+ years of history of course TSN and co. will have more CFL coverage than the MLS. Canada has 3 franchises all new so it makes perfect sense it gets less coverage. There actually is a MLS analyst or should I say soccer analyst on sportsnet named John Molinaro plus Forrest and Dobson have a few opinion pieces as well but I think that's it.

R.J
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Canada follows the CFL. 8 franchises across the country, 100+ years of history of course TSN and co. will have more CFL coverage than the MLS. Canada has 3 franchises all new so it makes perfect sense it gets less coverage. There actually is a MLS analyst or should I say soccer analyst on sportsnet named John Molinaro plus Forrest and Dobson have a few opinion pieces as well but I think that's it.I stand corrected then, I knew about Forrest and Dobson, figured they were more "hosts" though. Didn't know about Molinaro. Either way I agree though MLS is still too young to know what impact might be seen in the coming years, there could also be the added boost of Rogers/Bell owning MLSE.

argonaut11xx
02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
The BEST senario for the ARGO's would be that the Toronto Soccer Club go's the same route as the Toronto Blizzard did....then BMO is free'd up completely and it becomes the home of the Argonauts. The Ex is the perfect site in terms of parking, transit, etc. being downtown you can make a the game experience a full day, or evening experience.

T-Bone
02-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I stand corrected then, I knew about Forrest and Dobson, figured they were more "hosts" though. Didn't know about Molinaro. Either way I agree though MLS is still too young to know what impact might be seen in the coming years, there could also be the added boost of Rogers/Bell owning MLSE.TFC fans know MLS is not the best league in the world and that is not the most popular sport in North America. However it is our league and TFC is our team that we finally have to cheer for. I've grown up with out a soccer team to support and I don't want future generations of Torontonians to have that issue. Europe has over 100 years on us so it's only natural things are going to take time. Going back to the popularity aspect of this debate. The TV ratings and media coverage may not be on par with the CFL and the Argos but there are other signs that TFC is gaining some popularity in my opinion. TFC's Twitter page currently has 17,211 followers. TFC merchandise is available all over the GTA. They have sold over 40,000 tickets for the March 7th game at Rogers Centre. Like I said before though, I don't really care which team is more popular. I just want to see both teams be successful on and off the field.

The BEST senario for the ARGO's would be that the Toronto Soccer Club go's the same route as the Toronto Blizzard did....then BMO is free'd up completely and it becomes the home of the Argonauts. The Ex is the perfect site in terms of parking, transit, etc. being downtown you can make a the game experience a full day, or evening experience.You may feel that is the "best" scenario however what happens if the Argos get evicted from Rogers Centre and TFC has not gone the same route as the Toronto Blizzard, what then?

T-Bone
02-28-2012, 10:34 AM
CCL Single Seats Sold Out (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/ccl-single-seats-sold-out)

Toronto FC announced Monday that single seats are now sold out for its CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal match against the LA Galaxy at Rogers Centre. In seven weeks, the team has sold a record setting 43,500 tickets. Rogers Centre’s capacity seating for a soccer match is 45,000 with a limited number of suites still available for the match.

The game will be the only time Toronto FC will host MLS league and Cup champion LA Galaxy this season, as the two teams are not scheduled to meet at BMO Field during the MLS regular season.

“We’ve had phenomenal momentum since announcing the ticket on-sale in mid-January and we can tell from the response that Toronto FC supporters and soccer fans are excited about this match," said Paul Beirne, senior director of business operations for Toronto FC. "This is the most important match in Toronto FC’s short history and we’re looking forward to seeing a sea of red on March 7.”

Following the first leg of CCL quarterfinals game on Wednesday, March 7, Toronto will travel to Los Angeles for the return leg on Wednesday, March 14.

The match will mark the first time the Major League Soccer team plays a home game outside of BMO Field and will set a new Toronto FC home attendance record. BMO Field presently seats 21,140 and hosted its largest home crowd on April 13, 2011 when Toronto FC played the LA Galaxy.
http://c0014209.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_b4d58ba

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=4061

T-Bone
03-07-2012, 10:14 AM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/532360168.jpg?key=800160&Expires=1331134105&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=YpX0C1OdOdqZEyCAAyy4GkqkOmU1H5efs6Jr1nEU 16zhs6YAVSv~WiYKRO34ryzRKSKo58UNvldp3MmnUtlv3LGtlb RrIfFkP31R9B~TegoKdbZ5bHchFyMG~OW~2J8FRrAABG4m~q0h oMFiIHY2pMrh--c7Ben5yRwLAcxmR7o_

Reds Ready For A Galactic Fight! (http://www.torontofc.ca/content/toronto-takes-la-galaxy-wednesday)

Mulder
03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/532360168.jpg?key=800160&Expires=1331134105&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=YpX0C1OdOdqZEyCAAyy4GkqkOmU1H5efs6Jr1nEU 16zhs6YAVSv~WiYKRO34ryzRKSKo58UNvldp3MmnUtlv3LGtlb RrIfFkP31R9B~TegoKdbZ5bHchFyMG~OW~2J8FRrAABG4m~q0h oMFiIHY2pMrh--c7Ben5yRwLAcxmR7o_

Reds Ready For A Galactic Fight! (http://www.torontofc.ca/content/toronto-takes-la-galaxy-wednesday)

121 has been tainted! Nooooooooo

Ticats85
03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Even though im not a Argo fan it makes me sad to see TFC with 40 000+ for a game at skydome, I guess having David Beckham in the game helps ticket sales. Im watching the game right now i find it humorous how excited the fans are to watch a game so boring. I just don't get it all the fans are freaking out to watch nothing happen. Let me guess the final score of this game will be 1-0 or 0-0. Not a fan of soccer

ArgoZ
03-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Some observations from the TFC Skydome match;

What great camera angles from the 500 level cameras. This is how the Argo games should look instead of being in so close. You could actually see plays develop or whether Rideau was dogging it on the play with these angles.

Unfortunately, the higher camera really shows how terrible the turf looks. Some of the football lines hide things, but boy does it look amateur tonight.

Ticats85
03-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Well guess i was wrong about the score

ArgoZ
03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Pretty good game so far. How does rogers security permit all the streamers thrown at Becks? They would kick you out of an Argo game for much less than that.

ArgoRavi
03-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I would think that this would be considered, as they say in soccer, a disappointing result for TFC. You have to win your home game in this situation and you can't allow the road team to score two goals. If I am not mistaken, if L.A. even gets a 0-0 or 1-1 draw in the rematch at home, they will advance and TFC's greatest moment will come to an end.

Pretty good game so far. How does rogers security permit all the streamers thrown at Becks? They would kick you out of an Argo game for much less than that.

I just heard that someone threw a beer can at Beckham as well.

argolio
03-08-2012, 12:47 AM
I just heard that someone threw a beer can at Beckham as well.And I think his team scored the tying goal right after that.

argomANIA
03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm not sure that it was Rogers Security. Looked like maybe MLSE brought in their own guys.

Will
03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure that it was Rogers Security. Looked like maybe MLSE brought in their own guys.

I think it was a mix of MLSE people and Rogers Security. As for the game, the exact same limitations inherent in watching football at Skydome are inherent in watching soccer at the Skydome. The attendance was 47,000 and it was announced as a Rogers Centre sellout (whatever that means), there were some empty seats in the 500 level, but they had the first two levels full.

Yes Ravi, that last goal does have the potential to very much bite Toronto FC in the rear in the return engagement in Los Angeles.

paulwoods13
03-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Not a TFC fan, but what a great atmosphere the fans created in there. Flags, streamers, noise, etc. It would be great if we could somehow get Argo crowds as large and as excited. I believe both of those are possible but it will take a concerted effort on the part of the team and its most dedicated fans.

Will
03-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Not a TFC fan, but what a great atmosphere the fans created in there. Flags, streamers, noise, etc. It would be great if we could somehow get Argo crowds as large and as excited. I believe both of those are possible but it will take a concerted effort on the part of the team and its most dedicated fans.

It was a great atmosphere, especially sitting (standing) in the south end zone where all the supporters were. It seems in that sense, Toronto FC has been able to buck the trend of Toronto sports fans being a quiet bunch. I can't speak for demographics of Toronto FC fans in general, but the supporter groups are made up of younger folks. But, North American sports also do not have the "supporters group" tradition that soccer has.

Mulder
03-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I think it was a mix of MLSE people and Rogers Security. As for the game, the exact same limitations inherent in watching football at Skydome are inherent in watching soccer at the Skydome. The attendance was 47,000 and it was announced as a Rogers Centre sellout (whatever that means), there were some empty seats in the 500 level, but they had the first two levels full.

Yes Ravi, that last goal does have the potential to very much bite Toronto FC in the rear in the return engagement in Los Angeles.

Nice to how full it was, I don't get Sportsnet at home So I only kept up to date on Twitter.

I'm curious to see where the approx 5,000 empty seats were. My assumption is 500 level end zones.
I'm also happy to see that most comments thus from TFC fans that I've found don't slag the Argos for not drawing that much. The game was a one-off event akin to a cheaper final or semi-final playoff game that had months to sell. So there really is no comparing.

I am curious to see if TFC advances where they will play their semi-final and possible final if they make it. Rogers has those temporary seats used for the bills game series they could possibility add in either endzone.

Will
03-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Nice to how full it was, I don't get Sportsnet at home So I only kept up to date on Twitter.

I'm curious to see where the approx 5,000 empty seats were. My assumption is 500 level end zones.
I'm also happy to see that most comments thus from TFC fans that I've found don't slag the Argos for not drawing that much. The game was a one-off event akin to a cheaper final or semi-final playoff game that had months to sell. So there really is no comparing.

I am curious to see if TFC advances where they will play their semi-final and possible final if they make it. Rogers has those temporary seats used for the bills game series they could possibility add in either endzone.

Well from the south endzone we can't see what is above us in the 500 level so I don't know whether there were empty seats there or not. There were some empty seats in the 500 level beneath where the hotel rooms start near or adjacent to the jumbotron. I think there were some scattered in the upper eons of the 500 level as well. Also, there were empty seats on the 100 level in the corners of the north endzone, but those seats aren't ideal for football or soccer. There is room for temporary seating in our endzone.

There was one mildly amusing moment during the game where there was a fight in the stands (only one I saw) in Section 120 and there was a cop at the top of Section 119 just chatting away with the security guard, both oblivious to the going-ons in the section beside them. Granted, nobody tried to get the cop's attention, but I still was shaking my head after that one. Don't misconstrue by statement though, the crowd was generally and in all other regards well behaved.

T-Bone
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Even though im not a Argo fan it makes me sad to see TFC with 40 000+ for a game at skydome,
It doesn't make me sad to see another Toronto team successfully fill the Rogers Centre with people. It makes me sad that every Argo home game isn't packed full like it was last night. I really hope there is a way that can be turned around.

I guess having David Beckham in the game helps ticket sales.
It does help but they announced over 35K tickets were sold (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/reds-sell-35000-seats-ccl) only two days after Beckham resigned with LA. They also priced the tickets well.

David Beckham is unattached to a club and up until last week almost had a deal to play in France. The majority of tickets sold so far have been to season ticket holders and people looking hard enough for access to presale. General public tickets only went on sale yesterday. The majority of season ticket holders either know he no longer has a contract with L.A, or don't care whether he is there or not. So far, I don't think I can say his name has brought any meaningful impact to this game to date.

Im watching the game right now i find it humorous how excited the fans are to watch a game so boring. I just don't get it all the fans are freaking out to watch nothing happen.
I find it humorous that you would be watching a game that you feel is so boring. The people at the game didn't seem to find it boring, perhaps because like you said they're fans.

Let me guess the final score of this game will be 1-0 or 0-0. Not a fan of soccer

Well guess i was wrong about the score
Yes you were. It was a 2-2 draw final score.

Unfortunately, the higher camera really shows how terrible the turf looks. Some of the football lines hide things, but boy does it look amateur tonight.
I never noticed it until I posted this picture here (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?66-The-Toronto-FC-Thread&p=3689&viewfull=1#post3689) but Invader mentioned it before here (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?266-2012-Argos-Schedule&p=3391&viewfull=1#post3391).

I'm not a fan of streamers being thrown at players. I'm glad that has stopped at BMO Field.

I would think that this would be considered, as they say in soccer, a disappointing result for TFC. You have to win your home game in this situation and you can't allow the road team to score two goals. If I am not mistaken, if L.A. even gets a 0-0 or 1-1 draw in the rematch at home, they will advance and TFC's greatest moment will come to an end.
You are correct. We need to win with at least 3 goals because away goals are worth more. It was disappointing to end up with a draw so late in the game especially since TFC seemed to be the better team on the pitch last night.

And I think his team scored the tying goal right after that.
Yes, unfortunatley Landon Donovan scored off of Beckham's corner kick.

I'm not sure that it was Rogers Security. Looked like maybe MLSE brought in their own guys.As far as I know Rogers Security was running the show and the head of BMO Field was there as a consultant, however there may have been a mix of security I'm not 100% sure.

Will
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
There were a bunch of people around with black shirts on with the MLSE logos on the back. They might not have necessarily been there serving as security, but they were obviously there in some capacity.

paulwoods13
03-08-2012, 10:45 AM
But, North American sports also do not have the "supporters group" tradition that soccer has.

This is something I think the Argonauts need to emulate, actually. I believe the team, with the help of key ST holders, could promote the creation of groups similar to the Red Patch Boys, U Section and so on. The Ticats already have it to a minor extent with the Box J Boys.

Will
03-08-2012, 10:49 AM
This is something I think the Argonauts need to emulate, actually. I believe the team, with the help of key ST holders, could promote the creation of groups similar to the Red Patch Boys, U Section and so on. The Ticats already have it to a minor extent with the Box J Boys.

Well the key to that is getting more youthful and enthusiastic fans out to the games. That's the description for the Red Patch Boys and U-Sector. The problem is, as we know, that many of the younger people in Toronto are of the "pro-NFL, anti-CFL" department.

T-Bone
03-08-2012, 10:53 AM
There were a bunch of people around with black shirts on with the MLSE logos on the back. They might not have necessarily been there serving as security, but they were obviously there in some capacity.Cool, I didn't even notice them. It makes sense as they are used to that type of crowd.

Will
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Cool, I didn't even notice them. It makes sense as they are used to that type of crowd.

I, for one, am not shocked by that :)

BTW, the usher who normally works 121 for us (Mulder knows :)) was working 113 or something yesterday.

Mulder
03-08-2012, 11:14 AM
I, for one, am not shocked by that :)

BTW, the usher who normally works 121 for us (Mulder knows :)) was working 113 or something yesterday.

You mean the one who accused me of putting my friends daughter over the railings, even though I didn't, and even though the dad who was sitting right beside me said I didn't as well? The incident that got me kicked out, and the security said they had me on camera drinking, for which I had one at the game, that you bought for me because you owed me for something?

Will
03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah him...the dude with the accent.

T-Bone
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah him...the dude with the accent.Well hopefully he learned a thing or two last night.

Will
03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
I have my doubts about that.

I for one will be very interested to see how Rogers intends to enforce the "no flag" rule this upcoming season.

Unfortunately, whereas, the BMO security staff might've been on hand to "consult," the Argos have no such equivalent, do they unless they want to find whoever worked security at Exhibition Stadium in the 1970's.

Clearly, Rogers Centre couldn't treat the Toronto FC crowd the same way that they treat the Blue Jays or Argo crowd, nobody did anything and that's the thing. We Argo fans aren't at the level of enthusiasm as Toronto FC fans, yet, we'd have the Rogers KGB on us in an instant!

The problems we have encountered in the endzone are numerous. Aside, from the problems that some individuals have had with security, there is also the issue of who is sitting in our section. I think we've ended up with a lot of the "comps" in our section where the people aren't necessarily that into the game. I believe that when someone buys a ticket for a Toronto FC game in supporters section, he or she is warned on the ticket that as a supporters section that the enthusiasm will be amped up a notch and that he or she will find himself standing for the game. Ideally, that's probably what we'd want for the south endzone at Argo games, but we need the numbers to create that kind of situation as well as the understanding that Rogers Centre would treat us appropriately if and when such an atmosphere is created in that area of the stadium.

ticatfan
03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Got the details on the game from Rob M. Sounds like everyone had a good time! Good job T-Bone!

shayman
03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Question: What if the band sat in the south end zone? I've wondered if that would help build the atmosphere. It used to be lots of fun for everybody, I think, when the band was on the stage in front of the end zone. Maybe concentrating all the loud people in one area would be a good start.

ps. We used to sit in the south end zone seats but so far over to the left side that nobody could hear or see us. Closer to the center is what I have in mind. I would love to work to build a proper Supporters section if the band can help.

Mulder
03-08-2012, 01:33 PM
The problems we have encountered in the endzone are numerous. Aside, from the problems that some individuals have had with security, there is also the issue of who is sitting in our section. I think we've ended up with a lot of the "comps" in our section where the people aren't necessarily that into the game. I believe that when someone buys a ticket for a Toronto FC game in supporters section, he or she is warned on the ticket that as a supporters section that the enthusiasm will be amped up a notch and that he or she will find himself standing for the game. Ideally, that's probably what we'd want for the south endzone at Argo games, but we need the numbers to create that kind of situation as well as the understanding that Rogers Centre would treat us appropriately if and when such an atmosphere is created in that area of the stadium.

There is 2000 seats in the south endzone. If you want a number

Question: What if the band sat in the south end zone? I've wondered if that would help build the atmosphere. It used to be lots of fun for everybody, I think, when the band was on the stage in front of the end zone. Maybe concentrating all the loud people in one area would be a good start.

I highly endorse moving you guys back to the 'stage' infront of my seats :)

shayman
03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I highly endorse moving you guys back to the 'stage' infront of my seats :)

thanks! you are EXACTLY why we loved being there in 2006/2007.

T-Bone
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
The problems we have encountered in the endzone are numerous. Aside, from the problems that some individuals have had with security, there is also the issue of who is sitting in our section. I think we've ended up with a lot of the "comps" in our section where the people aren't necessarily that into the game. I believe that when someone buys a ticket for a Toronto FC game in supporters section, he or she is warned on the ticket that as a supporters section that the enthusiasm will be amped up a notch and that he or she will find himself standing for the game. Ideally, that's probably what we'd want for the south endzone at Argo games, but we need the numbers to create that kind of situation as well as the understanding that Rogers Centre would treat us appropriately if and when such an atmosphere is created in that area of the stadium. I plan to bring it up at the Town Hall that establishing a supporters section maybe a good idea. There is a warning on the back of all TFC season tickets and on their website about Supporters Sections (http://www.torontofc.ca/faq#az19).

Question: What if the band sat in the south end zone? I've wondered if that would help build the atmosphere. It used to be lots of fun for everybody, I think, when the band was on the stage in front of the end zone. Maybe concentrating all the loud people in one area would be a good start.I agree having you guys on the stage in front of the south end zone was great. The next best thing would be to have you guys in the south end zone seats again.

Mulder
03-08-2012, 01:46 PM
thanks! you are EXACTLY why we loved being there in 2006/2007.

Not only was the fan atmosphere better back then, but you guys were better utilized. Argonotes are rarely mentioned now and never on the loud speakers.
Move you guys back to the end zone and I know I'll be singing every time we score a TD again, and hopefully more of the Double Blue Crew as well!

shayman
03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Keith Pelley liked the band. The band on the stage was his idea. (I'd like to think that "Getting Frank D'Angelo off the stage" was part of the motivation too :-)

I remember we came early to one game in 2006 to try it out with the stage and the mics, and Keith was very excited the first time we blasted out "Go Argos Go" at full volume. That was so much fun. Hope we can do it again sometime.

paulwoods13
03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I know I'll be singing every time we score a TD again, and hopefully more of the Double Blue Crew as well!

We need an anthem that gets fans directly involved/singing/shouting, like the Blackhawks have with Chelsea Dagger, the Bills with Shout, the Red Sox with Tessie, etc. Go Toronto Argos Go by Dal Richards was a decent stab at it a few years ago but what's needed is something more anthemic and with as much tuneful yelling as actual singing. Something like Coldplay's Viva La Vida, with the entire crowd singing the "whoa-oh-oh-oh" part . . .

(I'd like to think that "Getting Frank D'Angelo off the stage" was part of the motivation too :-)

Only time in my life I have buried my head in my hands during O Canada.

A few oldtimers may recall that in 1985, there was a song called Love Them Argos (or something like that) played at home games. I think it was written by a local DJ. It was pretty catchy and might be able to become the team's official anthem if a copy of it could ever be unearthed. It included the line "A toast to the Argos" followed by "Arrrr-gooooos" in the traditional manner, with the "Arrr" being higher-pitched than the "gooooos." Anyone know anything about this? I think there was a story about it on the 1985 series Argonauts This Week, produced by Brad Diamond's company and broadcast on CFTO. I have all of the episodes of that series but going through them in search of the song might be pretty time-consuming. But now that I'm thinking about it, I may just embark on that search . . .

ArgoRavi
03-08-2012, 04:16 PM
A few oldtimers may recall that in 1985, there was a song called Love Them Argos (or something like that) played at home games. I think it was written by a local DJ. It was pretty catchy and might be able to become the team's official anthem if a copy of it could ever be unearthed. It included the line "A toast to the Argos" followed by "Arrrr-gooooos" in the traditional manner, with the "Arrr" being higher-pitched than the "gooooos." Anyone know anything about this? I think there was a story about it on the 1985 series Argonauts This Week, produced by Brad Diamond's company and broadcast on CFTO. I have all of the episodes of that series but going through them in search of the song might be pretty time-consuming. But now that I'm thinking about it, I may just embark on that search . . .

I seem to recall Willie Pless and some other players coming up with a song called "The Argo Glide" in 1986. Do you, Paul, or anyone else remember this?

Will
03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I seem to recall Willie Pless and some other players coming up with a song called "The Argo Glide" in 1986. Do you, Paul, or anyone else remember this?

This would've been at the time when everyone was trying to emulate the Super Bowl Shuffle? I'm sure the end result was amusing to say the least.

paulwoods13
03-08-2012, 04:54 PM

I do remember The Argo Glide. Can't remember who else did it besides Pless. It was a sort of soft funk tune and wouldn't be a good choice for a fan-singalong-type anthem.

I went through the 1985 ATW series and could not find Love Them Argos. I'm now thinking maybe it was 1984, not 1985.

bender
03-08-2012, 05:59 PM
I for one will be very interested to see how Rogers intends to enforce the "no flag" rule this upcoming season.

I think there's a misconception here that flags are perfectly fine at BMO Field. They are not.

Flags are only permitted in the supporter sections. There is an understanding and an outline of what you'll deal with when buying tickets here. Even then, most are season tickets holders anyways. People who buy tickets here know what to expect. General seating flies by the same rules as any other stadium in the city.

Supporters check their flags and banners into the stadium hours in advance. There's a guideline on how flags can be made. You can't just hang a flag off a hockey stick. It's not permitted. Guidelines are strict.

Supporters have a relationship with the club. Each supporter group has delegates that are in contact and attend meetings with the club. Here they will discuss any ideas or problems each side are having.

People are not just showing up with a ticket and flag. I don't blame the Argos here. Both sides would have to come up with something before flags and banners are allowed.

Ticats85
03-08-2012, 06:56 PM
http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20120307_175919_5932

Soccer has a huge problem with corruption and games being fixed that is just one reason why i have no interest in it.

argonaut11xx
03-09-2012, 07:41 AM
http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20120307_175919_5932

Soccer has a huge problem with corruption and games being fixed that is just one reason why i have no interest in it.

I agree, especially the subjective "extra time"..which is has been a JOKE for decades....

Soccer is probably the easiest game to fix due to the lack of scoring and overall action.

gilthethrill
03-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Breaks my heart to see TFC is able to put 40,000 + for a game while the Argos, according to Steve Simmons, only sold 9,000 tickets for their last 3 home games last season.

argonaut11xx
03-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Breaks my heart to see TFC is able to put 40,000 + for a game while the Argos, according to Steve Simmons, only sold 9,000 tickets for their last 3 home games last season.

that crowd is just a "blip" for the soccer team...the Beckham factor, big game (it was TSC's GREY CUP)...and Steve Simmons is a CFL hating PUTZ...dont believe most of what that goofball says. Simmons never played "tiddly winks" in his life, yet he is an expert on sports? he cant even skate..i bet he cant throw a spiral.or get a ball over home plate...

bender
03-09-2012, 08:17 AM
that crowd is just a "blip" for the soccer team...the Beckham factor, big game (it was TSC's GREY CUP)...and Steve Simmons is a CFL hating PUTZ...dont believe most of what that goofball says. Simmons never played "tiddly winks" in his life, yet he is an expert on sports? he cant even skate..i bet he cant throw a spiral.or get a ball over home plate...

Please explain to me the "Beckham Factor". I'd like to know how a player out of contract for many months can sell the majority of tickets to an event for a team he doesn't play for. Enlighten me.

gilthethrill
03-09-2012, 08:19 AM

I really don't understand MLS schedule...what is CONCACAFF (sp) play?..I thought both teams were in the MLS..has the season even started yet? How can it be "their Grey Cup" when the season is this early?

argonaut11xx
03-09-2012, 08:30 AM
concacaf..or whatever its called is a much bigger event than MLS...obvioulsy...

its like bringing a real NASCAR race to Mosport (in Bowmanville), and letting the local favorite (TSC) race in it.

T-Bone
03-09-2012, 08:55 AM
I really don't understand MLS schedule...what is CONCACAFF (sp) play?..I thought both teams were in the MLS..has the season even started yet? How can it be "their Grey Cup" when the season is this early?"CONCACAF is the continental governing body for association football in North America, Central America and the Caribbean." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF) The CONCACAF Champions Leauge (http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Home) is a tournament open to club teams with in its jurisdiction. Each country gets a certain amount of invites to the tournament based on some criteria like how many professional teams each country has, etc. In Canada's case we get one invite and to determine which team gets to go we have the Canadian Championship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Championship) tournament. The MLS schedule/season (http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule) is separate from all of this and starts this weekend. The game on Wednesday was a quarterfinal match hence why it was so important.

TFC Fans Unite (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/03/08/toronto_fc_la_galaxy_concacaf_champions_league/)

David Rowaan | March 8, 2012, 12:22 pm
Twitter @soccercanada

Soccer was front and centre in Toronto Wednesday night as Toronto FC battled the LA Galaxy to a 2-2 draw in the CONCACAF Champions league before 47,658 spectators at Rogers Centre.

For anyone who was paying attention the message from the fans of the beautiful game was a simple one: we are here to stay.

For many TFC supporters the evening began with a trip to a bar. It might have been Real Sports for the official Toronto FC pre-game event, Crocodile Rock for the Supporters Groups event, or any other downtown establishment. Chances are wherever you went it was busy and full of fellow TFC fans clad in red.

The two larger events were capped off with a pair of supporters’ marches heading down the road into Roger Centre and for people along the street or trying to drive through downtown they would have seen some sight. I was in one march and everywhere we went people we passed were pulling out phones and taking pictures. Such a large and organized show of support is not something that the city of Toronto is used to with its sports teams. Thankfully, the police were ready and made certain that both marches went smoothly and everyone made it to the game safely with limited disturbance to the downtown.

Once we arrived inside the stadium it was awe-inspiring to see it fill up. There may have been the odd Galaxy or Manchester United jersey but for the most part the fans came dressed in TFC’s colours and it did not take long to cover the very blue Rogers Centre in TFC red.

The south end of the stadium was covered in the art that was created by the supporters groups. There were a variety of different banners and flags as well as a pair of large tifos (a choreographed display by fans) in an impressive exhibition of passion. That passion was not limited to just the south end, though, as signs and flags could be seen throughout the entire dome..

Then there were the streamers. The club decided to allow them to make their return for one game only and they came back with a vengeance. From the moment that people entered the building, there were streamers being thrown all over. There was a huge wave of them after an impromptu rendition of “O Canada,” as well as after Ryan Johnson opened the scoring early in the game.

The fans did save some streamers for David Beckham, as well. Every single time he went to take a corner he was bombarded by wave after wave of them. After his first few corners were delayed by the volume of streamers he learned his lesson and started taking them sooner. The one drawback was that when people are throwing things onto the field there is often that one person in the crowd who does not have a streamer so they throw something else.

The beer can that was thrown towards Beckham was one of the very few black marks on an otherwise spectacular night of soccer. On the night most of the fans in attendance were in a festive mode and enjoying a special event. It is those fans who deserve all the headlines.

When the club announced that the game would be played at Rogers Centre it was greeted with a fair bit of hesitancy from fans who were worried that it would not attract a large enough crowd. Those fears were laid to rest on Wednesday.

It is safe to say that Toronto FC fans should be proud of what took place at Rogers Centre. There is no doubt that they showed the city of Toronto and anyone watching that soccer is a big deal in this city and there is still a genuine interest in the sport despite five years of the club struggling.

This will probably be a game that people will not soon forget. Toronto is a city whose sports scene is starving for something special to happen and on Wednesday night in the building where Joe Carter touched them all they got a strong reminder of what it is like to be part of a real sporting spectacle.

Toronto FC FanCam (http://gigapixelfancam.com/fancams/soccer/torontofc/20120307/)

Will
03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Each soccer governing body in the world has a tournament that includes teams from all the top leagues in that jurisdiction. Europe has their own version, which is the most heralded of them all. That ends in May usually, the only difference is that MLS plays in the summer for obvious reasons while the Premier League for example plays over the fall and winter.

I think there's a misconception here that flags are perfectly fine at BMO Field. They are not.

Flags are only permitted in the supporter sections. There is an understanding and an outline of what you'll deal with when buying tickets here. Even then, most are season tickets holders anyways. People who buy tickets here know what to expect. General seating flies by the same rules as any other stadium in the city.

Supporters check their flags and banners into the stadium hours in advance. There's a guideline on how flags can be made. You can't just hang a flag off a hockey stick. It's not permitted. Guidelines are strict.

Supporters have a relationship with the club. Each supporter group has delegates that are in contact and attend meetings with the club. Here they will discuss any ideas or problems each side are having.

People are not just showing up with a ticket and flag. I don't blame the Argos here. Both sides would have to come up with something before flags and banners are allowed.

I assume this was something that was settled in 2007 when the team played it's first season?

Argo fans were allowed to bring flags into the Skydome until I'd say 4-5 years before they were banned and believe me people on this site have tried to communicate with Rogers on the "no flag" policy, but without much success.

Mulder
03-09-2012, 01:40 PM
47,000 in attendance

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/08/galaxy-toronto-fc-deserved-their-draw (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/08/galaxy-toronto-fc-deserved-their-draw)

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1331083419730_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Not to diss TFC or anything. You have to understand that this was a one off event. This event had 5 months to sell with knowing who they were playing.

To put it in contrast. Grey Cup Tickets been 'available' for 4 months and there is estimated to be 1,000 left of 52,230. With-out even knowing who is going to play who.

Next year, if TFC makes the quarter final again and plays at Rogers Centre, I'd bet you'd see a very noticeable decline, especially if they are playing some team from Mexico.

R.J
03-09-2012, 03:24 PM
It was a one off event, that featured David Beckham, however the atmosphere looked great, and the security actually allowed people to make noise. Rogers clearly just doesn't want the Argos around, but what can you do when only 9,000 people show up for your last 3 games.

T-Bone
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
It was a one off event, that featured David Beckham, however the atmosphere looked great, and the security actually allowed people to make noise. Rogers clearly just doesn't want the Argos around, but what can you do when only 9,000 people show up for your last 3 games.

Please explain to me the "Beckham Factor". I'd like to know how a player out of contract for many months can sell the majority of tickets to an event for a team he doesn't play for. Enlighten me.

35K or more tickets were sold before it was known that Beckham would play at that game.

ArgoRavi
03-10-2012, 01:39 AM

This is like comparing apples and oranges. The Argos were eliminated from playoff contention before their final three home game while this recent TFC game was a one-off event which they had several months to sell tickets for. As has been mentioned in this thread, a better comparison to the TFC game would be the upcoming Grey Cup.

bender
03-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Not to diss TFC or anything. You have to understand that this was a one off event. This event had 5 months to sell with knowing who they were playing.

To put it in contrast. Grey Cup Tickets been 'available' for 4 months and there is estimated to be 1,000 left of 52,230. With-out even knowing who is going to play who.

Next year, if TFC makes the quarter final again and plays at Rogers Centre, I'd bet you'd see a very noticeable decline, especially if they are playing some team from Mexico.

Yes, the TFC game was going to happen eventually, but to say they've been sitting on this game for 5 months waiting for it to sell out isn't exactly correct.

The location of the event wasn't announced until December 21, 2011.

Tickets went on sale to season ticket holders January 9, and the public Jan 13.

The event sold out it's allotted tickets January 31 with the exception of singles. Blocks of new tickets were added here and there until there were no more holes to fill. Realistically, this event sold out in 3 weeks.

That being said, I wouldn't draw too many comparisons towards the Grey Cup. The price difference doesn't really make it a good comparison.

Mulder
03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, the TFC game was going to happen eventually, but to say they've been sitting on this game for 5 months waiting for it to sell out isn't exactly correct.

The location of the event wasn't announced until December 21, 2011.

Tickets went on sale to season ticket holders January 9, and the public Jan 13.

The event sold out it's allotted tickets January 31 with the exception of singles. Blocks of new tickets were added here and there until there were no more holes to fill. Realistically, this event sold out in 3 weeks.

That being said, I wouldn't draw too many comparisons towards the Grey Cup. The price difference doesn't really make it a good comparison.

TFC advanced to Quarter Finals on October 17th and almost imminently there was talk about hosting the game at Rogers Centre, it was from then on a pretty no-brainier that is was going to be hosted there. Akin to what Montreal did for their game.

If you want to talk in realistic terms, Grey Cup tickets have been on sale to the general public for 4.2 days (100 hour access window) back after the 99th game. And only to new Argo season seat holders. Which I really wouldn't count as "general public" As well Grey Cup tickets are selling for 10 times the price.

As said in another thread, the announced "Sell-out" crowd of 47,658 is 4,500 short of the max attendance for football configuration. To put that in perspective, There is 2,000 seats in the south endzone, So either 2 whole endzone sections somewhere in the stadium were empty, or those 4,500 were comped. I'm just wondering thats all.

R.J
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
35K or more tickets were sold before it was known that Beckham would play at that game.
Was Beckham not signed around January 18th ?
I don't even watch soccer and I knew Beckham was going to stay Stateside.

ArgoRavi
03-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't even watch soccer and I knew Beckham was going to stay Stateside.

Beckham wasn't going anywhere. He is having too much fun hanging around with Tom Cruise and Will Smith.

R.J
03-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Beckham wasn't going anywhere. He is having too much fun hanging around with Tom Cruise and Will Smith.
Let alone the fact that he's building his brand in the U.S, even his wife Posh has business' like crazy Stateside. Anyone who honestly thought he was going anywhere is naive.
He can't go anywhere and make the money he does here and his wife and kids are happy.

Also anyone else find it a coincidence that TSC's only sell out last season was when Beckham came to TO ?

T-Bone
03-11-2012, 04:21 PM
I assume this was something that was settled in 2007 when the team played it's first season?Things have changed a bit over the years but the Supporters Sections were established in 2007.

TFC advanced to Quarter Finals on October 17th and almost imminently there was talk about hosting the game at Rogers Centre, it was from then on a pretty no-brainier that is was going to be hosted there. Akin to what Montreal did for their game.

If you want to talk in realistic terms, Grey Cup tickets have been on sale to the general public for 4.2 days (100 hour access window) back after the 99th game. And only to new Argo season seat holders. Which I really wouldn't count as "general public" As well Grey Cup tickets are selling for 10 times the price.

As said in another thread, the announced "Sell-out" crowd of 47,658 is 4,500 short of the max attendance for football configuration. To put that in perspective, There is 2,000 seats in the south endzone, So either 2 whole endzone sections somewhere in the stadium were empty, or those 4,500 were comped. I'm just wondering thats all.
Like bender mentioned earlier to draw comparisons to the TFC game on Wednesday and the 100th Grey Cup is a bit unbalanced. The Grey Cup is a much larger event with a 100 year tradition behind it. This was the first time TFC played in the CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinal. Also the Grey Cup draws people from the entire nation while the TFC game was just the local surrounding area. A better comparison would be an Argo playoff game. I know tickets weren't sold in a few sections on the north end on Wednesday due to obstructed views apparently. I also know that there were some comp tickets available through KIA dealerships in the GTA. If you went for a test drive you got a pair.

Yes, Beckham resigned with the Galaxy on January 18th.

I don't even watch soccer
Perhaps that is why you didn't hear or read the many reports in the media after the Galaxy won the MLS Cup that Beckham was rumored to be heading to Paris Saint-Germain F.C.

I knew Beckham was going to stay Stateside.
He told you personally before the January 18th announcement?

Let alone the fact that he's building his brand in the U.S, even his wife Posh has business' like crazy Stateside. Anyone who honestly thought he was going anywhere is naive.
You really believe that in this day and age Victoria couldn't run her businesses from pretty much wherever she decided to reside on this planet?

He can't go anywhere and make the money he does here
Now that is a naive statement. Beckham was an international brand long before he moved to the USA.

Also anyone else find it a coincidence that TSC's only sell out last season was when Beckham came to TO ?
I'm not saying Beckham doesn't help sell tickets but his influence on last Wednesday's game wasn't as big as some people want to believe. On January 13th it was announced that over 25K tickets were sold (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/reds-reach-attendance-high). On January 20th it was announced that over 35K tickets were sold (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/reds-sell-35000-seats-ccl), that's two days after Beckham resigned with the Galaxy. I'll be conservative and say 30K tickets where sold by January 18th, that's 63% of the total attendance 47,658 before it was known that Beckham would play at that game. The majority of people at that game were there to support TFC not David Beckham.

Friendly Wager (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2012/03/09/19481526.html)

Sports gamblers now have the option of betting on MLS results after the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation recently added North America’s top flight to its popular Pro-Line tickets.

As MLS struggles to garner support outside its current markets, the move could be an attempt to attract attention during non-TFC MLS matches within the Greater Toronto Area.

The league’s involvement with OLG is a logical way of expanding its visibility across the Ontario sports landscape and beyond BMO Field.

R.J
03-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Perhaps that is why you didn't hear or read the many reports in the media after the Galaxy won the MLS Cup that Beckham was rumored to be heading to Paris Saint-Germain F.C.
He told you personally before the January 18th announcement?
You really believe that in this day and age Victoria couldn't run her businesses from pretty much wherever she decided to reside on this planet?
Now that is a naive statement. Beckham was an international brand long before he moved to the USA.
Actually I did hear that about 4 teams were interested in Beckham, still knew he wasn't going anywhere, no he didn't tell me, but no one would pay him what MLS would plain and simple (his old contract are worth up to 250 million for 5 years.) Yes Victoria could, but she has brought up multiple times how she likes it here and wants to stay here to run her businesses................ go look it up. Beckham is an international brand, but as we all know Stateside is where everything gets bigger and "better".

I do find it absolutely hilarious that you state you do not wish to continue debating with me (as I've joined sides or teams or something lol), yet still continue to try and pick apart my posts.
You're on an Argos forum bud, TSC nor MLS should be 90 % or your bloody posts.

This is not unique to non CFL fans. Just take a look at this message board and how people talk about non CFL teams and leagues.
Okay T-Bone we get it you're a TSC fan and dislike it when Argo fans poop on TSC. Not every single thread needs to be about TSC, yet somehow you find a way to bring it up every time.

T-Bone
03-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Actually I did hear that about 4 teams were interested in Beckham, still knew he wasn't going anywhere, no he didn't tell me, but no one would pay him what MLS would plain and simple (his old contract are worth up to 250 million for 5 years.) Yes Victoria could, but she has brought up multiple times how she likes it here and wants to stay here to run her businesses................ go look it up. Beckham is an international brand, but as we all know Stateside is where everything gets bigger and "better".
You're entitled to your opinion.

I do find it absolutely hilarious that you state you do not wish to continue debating with me (as I've joined sides or teams or something lol), yet still continue to try and pick apart my posts.
I said I was done discussing another topic with you in a different thread. You've decided to show your disrespect for another team I support just like another member on this board by not calling the team by its proper name. I don't show that kind of disrespect to people on this board or in person because it is childish. I'm still learning a lot about the Argos and football and I don't know a lot of technical aspects of the game. I read many of the Argos threads instead of posting in them because of it. The only place I post anything about TFC is in "The TFC Thread" unless I'm responding to someone else who has brought it up.

Okay T-Bone we get it you're a TSC fan
No, I'm a TFC, Argos, and Jays fan with season tickets to all of them.

you're a TSC fan and dislike it when Argo fans poop on TSC.
I dislike it when anybody "poops" on any Toronto team.

Not every single thread needs to be about TSC, yet somehow you find a way to bring it up every time.
I only post TFC stuff in one thread everywhere else I'm responding to someone that has already brought up TFC, just like you did in this thread.

R.J
03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
No, I'm a TFC, Argos, and Jays fan with season tickets to all of them.
I dislike it when anybody "poops" on any Toronto team.
I only post TFC stuff in one thread everywhere else I'm responding to someone that has already brought up TFC, just like you did in this thread.
Good for you, do you want some acknowledgment or a cookie for being a season ticket holder for 3 Toronto teams ?
I am a season ticket holder for the Rock and Argos, Hooray for me.

Let's be honest you made this comment "This is not unique to non CFL fans. Just take a look at this message board and how people talk about non CFL teams and leagues." for the flak and poop that gets thrown at TSC, as I really don't see too many people with issues of the Leafs Raps, Rock, Jays, and Marlies, nor do I see you come quickly to defense of these teams/sports compared to TSC. Even though I'm not a baseball fan, I wouldn't want to see the Jays leave and love that they brought back the old school jerseys, but if they were to leave it wouldn't really bother me, yeah it would suck but I have no real attachment to them or the sport.

BTW do you defend the Argos on the TSC fan forum the way you do TSC on here, seems like you go well out of your way to defend TSC specifically, almost like a caped crusader.
http://images5.cpcache.com/product_zoom/565077035v0_460x460_Front_Color-Khaki_padToSquare-true.jpg

T-Bone
03-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Good for you, do you want some acknowledgment or a cookie for being a season ticket holder for 3 Toronto teams ?No. I was just pointing out that I'm not just a TFC fan.

Let's be honest you made this comment "This is not unique to non CFL fans. Just take a look at this message board and how people talk about non CFL teams and leagues." for the flak and poop that gets thrown at TSC, as I really don't see too many people with issues of the Leafs Raps, Rock, Jays, and Marlies, nor do I see you come quickly to defense of these teams/sports compared to TSC.
When I "defend" TFC it's usually against distorted facts that people are posting. I try to stay clear of the "poop flinging." Since I don't follow the other teams as closely I don't know enough of the facts to defend them.

BTW do you defend the Argos on the TSC fan forum the way you do TSC on here, seems like you go well out of your way to defend TSC specifically, almost like a caped crusader.I do defend the Argos but TFC fans don't seem to bring them up to the same extant as TFC comes up here. Anyway, I'm done discussing this with you as I can see you have chosen to join another disrespectful member on this board.

AngeloV
03-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Good for you, do you want some acknowledgment or a cookie for being a season ticket holder for 3 Toronto teams ?

Let's be honest you made this comment "This is not unique to non CFL fans. Just take a look at this message board and how people talk about non CFL teams and leagues." for the flak and poop that gets thrown at TSC, as I really don't see too many people with issues of the Leafs Raps, Rock, Jays, and Marlies, nor do I see you come quickly to defense of these teams/sports compared to TSC. Even though I'm not a baseball fan, I wouldn't want to see the Jays leave and love that they brought back the old school jerseys, but if they were to leave it wouldn't really bother me, yeah it would suck but I have no real attachment to them or the sport.

BTW do you defend the Argos on the TSC fan forum the way you do TSC on here, seems like you go well out of your way to defend TSC specifically, almost like a caped crusader.
http://images5.cpcache.com/product_zoom/565077035v0_460x460_Front_Color-Khaki_padToSquare-true.jpg

A new candidate for GREATEST...POST....EVER!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm done discussing this with you as I can see you have chosen to join another disrespectful member on this board.

Hey, I think I've been pretty good at avoiding direct confrontation with you on this topic as of late.

In all seriousness, you really should stop taking the TFC posts so seriously. I'm a huge Leafs fan, but understand this is an Argos fan forum, so I never take exception on here to people that make horrible comments about the Leafs.

LLB997
03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
T-Bone, Did Beckham give your beer back, just kiddn. TFC needs more fans like you.

T-Bone
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Hey, I think I've been pretty good at avoiding direct confrontation with you on this topic as of late.
I don't mind confrontation when it comes to debate, it's required to have a good debate.

In all seriousness, you really should stop taking the TFC posts so seriously. I'm a huge Leafs fan, but understand this is an Argos fan forum, so I never take exception on here to people that make horrible comments about the Leafs.
Like I said before I try to avoid the "poop flinging" as SnowRogue put it and stick to debates about facts. I just found it ironic that an Argo fan was complaining to this community about getting flak about the Argos when it is done with in this community all the time to other teams. I'm not condoning the Leafs bashing but there seems to be a bit of a different attitude about the Leafs in this city, it's a love/hate relationship. People bash them all the time but deep down they love them. There is an irrational hatred here though it appears towards other teams and leagues that is not healthy. It appears though that Argoscflguy's story is not the norm and I'm glad to hear that. I personally have never experienced any negative reaction when wearing Argo/CFL gear. In fact I've been asked questions about the Argos which I personally think is a good thing.

T-Bone, Did Beckham give your beer back, just kiddn.
I should try out to be a QB somewhere. Not a bad shot, eh. In all seriousness though, I don't condone the throwing of objects at players or on to the field of play. I'm not a fan of the streams either when they end up being thrown at players taking corners. For goal celebration of after the Canadian anthem they're fine.

TFC needs more fans like you.
Thanks.

Mulder
03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Like bender mentioned earlier to draw comparisons to the TFC game on Wednesday and the 100th Grey Cup is a bit unbalanced. The Grey Cup is a much larger event with a 100 year tradition behind it. This was the first time TFC played in the CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinal. Also the Grey Cup draws people from the entire nation while the TFC game was just the local surrounding area. A better comparison would be an Argo playoff game. I know tickets weren't sold in a few sections on the north end on Wednesday due to obstructed views apparently. I also know that there were some comp tickets available through KIA dealerships in the GTA. If you went for a test drive you got a pair.

There still would be no comparison for an Argo Playoff game. 90% of the time they would have maximum a month to sell tickets. And that's the absolute max. And you still don't know who the opponent is. TFC fans billed this as the "biggest game in our history" and a Argo home playoff game simply cannot compete with that.

The best comparison would be the Jays home opener. They know who they are playing for months, but tickets are only available for a short amount of time.
The number I gave you for comped tickets was low, it's actually 6,900 that Kia got.:P To bad the Argo's don't have sponsor like that. :P

My own opinion is that if TFC makes Quarter Finals in future years, the attendance won't be nearly as high. They 'may' see the "jays" affect as well.

And by that I mean, the attendance decline after the jays won back to back championships. And I only say that because it seems the trend in Toronto. See Jays and Toronto Rock.

Because you are mostly spewing bs?

I will agree with you that even I thought Beckham wasn't going anywhere. I don't think he playing in the game had a huge factor in selling tickets.

Okay T-Bone we get it you're a TSC fan and dislike it when Argo fans poop on TSC. Not every single thread needs to be about TSC, yet somehow you find a way to bring it up every time.

I don't see how T-Bone Mentioned TFC directly in any of the threads. There is certain people who feel the need to 'slag' the sport whenever they can, people here feel the need to slag other sports they don't really have any interest in.

We are upset that people call CFL bush/minor/joke, but people here are very quick to do the same here to other teams in the Toronto sports scene? How does that 'fix' the problem? How do we are Argo fans want to project ourselves towards the rest of the Toronto, and National sports scene in a very public place such as these forums?

How would you react if you were somewhat interested in a sport or community, you stumbled upon a public forum and all you read about is anger and resentment towards other sports teams of the same city? Put yourself in those shoes.

Why are we complaining about the problems in this thread, when we do the exact same to other Toronto Sports we don't care about? In my eyes we are NO BETTER than those people. The same people whose opinion about the Toronto Argonauts we are trying to change.

paulwoods13
03-12-2012, 10:42 AM
We are upset that people call CFL bush/minor/joke, but people here are very quick to do the same here to other teams in the Toronto sports scene? How does that 'fix' the problem? How do we are Argo fans want to project ourselves towards the rest of the Toronto, and National sports scene in a very public place such as these forums?

How would you react if you were somewhat interested in a sport or community, you stumbled upon a public forum and all you read about is anger and resentment towards other sports teams of the same city? Put yourself in those shoes.

Why are we complaining about the problems in this thread, when we do the exact same to other Toronto Sports we don't care about? In my eyes we are NO BETTER than those people. The same people whose opinion about the Toronto Argonauts we are trying to change.

100% correct.

R.J
03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Because you are mostly spewing bs?

I will agree with you that even I thought Beckham wasn't going anywhere. I don't think he playing in the game had a huge factor in selling tickets.
I'm spewing bullshit really ? Please explain.
Did Beckham go anywhere ?
Can anyone prove that Beckham would make more money anywhere else ?
Can anyone prove that Posh doesn't want to stay Stateside ?

Sorry Mulder, but T-Bone indirectly and directly mentions TSC quite often, and TBH enough is enough on the Argonauts fan forum.
I've gone to multiple other sport and team threads and the Argos get crapped on all the time, I'm used to it and never take it personally, if anything I try and make a joke out of it, if it's actual worth my time posting about it.

argonaut11xx
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Sorry Mulder, but T-Bone indirectly and directly mentions TSC quite often, and TBH enough is enough on the Argonauts fan forum.
I've gone to multiple other sport and team threads and the Argos get crapped on all the time, I'm used to it and never take it personally, if anything I try and make a joke out of it, if it's actual worth my time posting about it.

you are 100% correct...

Mulder
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM

T-Bone never brings up TFC directly and deliberately in ANY thread in the Doubleblue room. It's ALWAYS someone else who starts the topic of conversation.

And I challenge you to prove otherwise

R.J
03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
T-Bone never brings up TFC directly and deliberately in ANY thread in the Doubleblue room. It's ALWAYS someone else who starts the topic of conversation.

And I challenge you to prove otherwise
This is seriously getting too funny now.
I'm being challenged ? to a duel......... ?

In all seriousness, you really should stop taking the TFC posts so seriously. I'm a huge Leafs fan, but understand this is an Argos fan forum, so I never take exception on here to people that make horrible comments about the Leafs.Actually Angelo, I think he was referring to argonaut11xx.

T-Bone
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
There still would be no comparison for an Argo Playoff game. 90% of the time they would have maximum a month to sell tickets. And that's the absolute max. And you still don't know who the opponent is. TFC fans billed this as the "biggest game in our history" and a Argo home playoff game simply cannot compete with that.

The best comparison would be the Jays home opener. They know who they are playing for months, but tickets are only available for a short amount of time.
That was the most important game the team played up until that point. This Wednesday is now the most important game in TFC history. I guess we'll have to wait until they make the playoffs to do a better comparison then.

The number I gave you for comped tickets was low, it's actually 6,900 that Kia got.:P To bad the Argo's don't have sponsor like that. :P
Aren't Nissan an Argos sponsor?

My own opinion is that if TFC makes Quarter Finals in future years, the attendance won't be nearly as high. They 'may' see the "jays" affect as well.

And by that I mean, the attendance decline after the jays won back to back championships. And I only say that because it seems the trend in Toronto. See Jays and Toronto Rock.
We'll just have to wait and see.

T-Bone
03-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Reds In Carson For Crucial CCL Clash (http://www.torontofc.ca/content/canucks-carson-crucial-ccl-clash)

Tonight at 10:00pm EST Live on Sportsnet One.

Mulder
03-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Reds In Carson For Crucial CCL Clash (http://www.torontofc.ca/content/canucks-carson-crucial-ccl-clash)

Tonight at 10:00pm EST Live on Sportsnet One.

Unfortunately my cable subscription is not though Rogers, so I don't get this channel as part of my basic cable. Thus I cannot watch soon to be Rogers Owned Content, though a Rogers owned Channel, on a Rogers Owned Subscription Service, and be subject to Rogers Purchased Commercials to buy Rogers owned Devices and Services. Nothing to see here, Move along!

T-Bone
03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately my cable subscription is not though Rogers, so I don't get this channel as part of my basic cable. Thus I cannot watch soon to be Rogers Owned Content, though a Rogers owned Channel, on a Rogers Owned Subscription Service, and be subject to Rogers Purchased Commercials to buy Rogers owned Devices and Services. Nothing to see here, Move along!
Well there are other options. Real Sports is doing a viewing party tonight or perhaps a TFC friendly pub in your area.

Will
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
The writer in the Sun today speculated that the fact that the Galaxy had to play on the weekend while Toronto FC received the week off could work to the Reds' advantage.

ArgoRavi
03-14-2012, 08:15 PM
The writer in the Sun today speculated that the fact that the Galaxy had to play on the weekend while Toronto FC received the week off could work to the Reds' advantage.

I thought that I read or heard somewhere that the Galaxy hasn't lost at home in 20 games. TFC has to win tonight or at least draw 2-2 to force OT (I believe). I don't like their chances - and let's be honest that this was a lousy team last season and we really don't know if they have improved much this year - but anything can happen.

ArgoZ
03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I thought that I read or heard somewhere that the Galaxy hasn't lost at home in 20 games. TFC has to win tonight or at least draw 2-2 to force OT (I believe). I don't like their chances - and let's be honest that this was a lousy team last season and we really don't know if they have improved much this year - but anything can happen.

It's a soccer tournment, which is always unpredictable. Tournaments don't show what teams really are. For example, Manchester United is now poised to win their league, but have been knocked out of every tournament, so far this year, usually by weaker teams. TFC is a few wins away from North American champs, but finished near the bottom of the MLS.

Will
03-14-2012, 11:59 PM

Anything did happen--Toronto FC won 2-1 and won 4-3 on aggregate. They go onto face a Mexican team in the champions league semi-finals. It will be tough, but quite an accomplishment for them.

ArgoRavi
03-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Anything did happen--Toronto FC won 2-1 and won 4-3 on aggregate. They go onto face a Mexican team in the champions league semi-finals. It will be tough, but quite an accomplishment for them.

Is this a bigger accomplishment than doing well in the MLS? I get the sense that it is supposed to be. This tournament doesn't seem to have captured the imagination of L.A. fans though judging by the number of empty seats tonight but it is certainly meaningful to Toronto fans so I guess that it is just as well that TFC advanced.

Will
03-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I know the Champions League in Europe is highly thought of, but I don't know if the same applies to North America. Obviously the team would prefer to do a lot better during the actual MLS season. The Galaxy did have quite a bit of momentum on their side heading into the match so Toronto FC did have to work their way against that a little bit. As for the attendance in Los Angeles, apparently the stadium is on a university campus and there is a rule that dictates that the ticket sales are capped at 7,500 on a school night. Not exactly fair for the Galaxy, but they weren't going to get the same crowd support on their side that they did when they had the game in Toronto last week.

Ron
03-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Is this a bigger accomplishment than doing well in the MLS? I get the sense that it is supposed to be. This tournament doesn't seem to have captured the imagination of L.A. fans though judging by the number of empty seats tonight but it is certainly meaningful to Toronto fans so I guess that it is just as well that TFC advanced.

No offense Ravi. But you're sounding like all those jerks who think the CFL sucks. :D

T-Bone
03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
let's be honest that this was a lousy team last season and we really don't know if they have improved much this year
Last season was yet another rebuild year for the team. The Head Coach and GM were fired in September 2010 and we didn't get a replacement Head Coach until January 2011, only about 12 weeks before the season started. Aron Winter came in to the club with a plan to implement the Dutch style of "Total Football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Football)." The first half of the season the players had to get used to the new style of play while Winter evaluated what he had in the team and what he needed. In June/July some big signings were made, Torsten Frings, Danny Koevermans and Ryan Johnson. From that point on the team made steady improvement but fell short of the playoffs and the focus turned to the Champions League. This year Winter had a whole off season to prepare his team and the core group of players returned. They did really well in preseason games and this is a much better team then last season. Only time will tell what they can achieve this season.

I know the Champions League in Europe is highly thought of, but I don't know if the same applies to North America. Obviously the team would prefer to do a lot better during the actual MLS season.
I can't speak for all of North America but among TFC supporters this tournament is seen as important because it is on an international stage. In a way it's an opportunity to show how far along soccer has come in Canada. Obviously we would like the team to do better in the regular MLS season and advance to the playoffs as well but we just have to wait and see.

As for the attendance in Los Angeles, apparently the stadium is on a university campus and there is a rule that dictates that the ticket sales are capped at 7,500 on a school night. Not exactly fair for the Galaxy, but they weren't going to get the same crowd support on their side that they did when they had the game in Toronto last week.
It is really unfortunate that because it was a week night the attendance had to be capped.

Will
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I wonder how common the concept of attendance capping is? I know there are weekday games in NCAA Football during the school year. I doubt that NCAA teams would be forced to cap attendance for something as popular as college football unless the schedule makers are careful as to select a home team with an off-campus stadium.

T-Bone
03-15-2012, 10:36 AM
I wonder how common the concept of attendance capping is? I know there are weekday games in NCAA Football during the school year. I doubt that NCAA teams would be forced to cap attendance for something as popular as college football unless the schedule makers are careful as to select a home team with an off-campus stadium.
I believe there are issues with parking in the area. There is not enough for both students and people attending the game, hence the cap during weekdays.

Will
03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
I believe there are issues with parking in the area. There is not enough for both students and people attending the game, hence the cap during weekdays.

It's parking that's the issue? I'd just assumed that the issue was that they didn't want a loud crowd disrupting people studying or something.

T-Bone
03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
It's parking that's the issue? I'd just assumed that the issue was that they didn't want a loud crowd disrupting people studying or something.
Noise maybe an issue as well but I hear parking is pretty limited.

294life
03-18-2012, 01:54 AM
58,912 record crowd for the montreal MLS home opener. impressive but should drop for the next home game against Toronto in 3 weeks.

Will
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
58,912 record crowd for the montreal MLS home opener. impressive but should drop for the next home game against Toronto in 3 weeks.

They are playing five games at Olympic Stadium from what I understand. I wonder if this is something they'll do every year or what? I suspect it'll be an annual event because of the weather in Montreal, it's ironic though that this year the weather is fantastic.

Toronto FC lost their MLS opener 3-1 to Seattle. The Sounders franchise has a very solid fanbase from what it looks like.

T-Bone
03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
It was an impressive turn out for the home opener but I'm curious to see how many are going to be at the next home game as well. I can't wait, I'll be there.

They are playing five games at Olympic Stadium from what I understand. I wonder if this is something they'll do every year or what? I suspect it'll be an annual event because of the weather in Montreal, it's ironic though that this year the weather is fantastic.
No it won't be an annual thing. Saputo Stadium is being renovated and it is not ready yet.

Toronto FC lost their MLS opener 3-1 to Seattle. The Sounders franchise has a very solid fanbase from what it looks like.
Ya, the Sounders fan base is impressive. The attendance for that game was 38,709.

Will
03-19-2012, 06:20 PM
I read in the newspaper that they're expecting somewhere above 40,000 for the game against Toronto FC.

R.J
03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
No it won't be an annual thing. Saputo Stadium is being renovated and it is not ready yet.
Actually it will be an annual thing, the Impact plan to play at Olympic Stadium 2-3 times per year, including home openers. The 4 year partnership agreement was signed earlier this year, first few games this year will be played at the Big O until Saputo Stadium is complete and first game at SS should take place June 16th.
http://boxscorenews.com/the-montreal-impact-and-olympic-park-announce-a-four-year-partnership-p31350-68.htm

T-Bone
03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Actually it will be an annual thing, the Impact plan to play at Olympic Stadium 2-3 times per year, including home openers. The 4 year partnership agreement was signed earlier this year, first few games this year will be played at the Big O until Saputo Stadium is complete and first game at SS should take place June 16th.
http://boxscorenews.com/the-montreal-impact-and-olympic-park-announce-a-four-year-partnership-p31350-68.htm
Thanks for that info. I thought Olympic Stadium was only going to be used for potential playoff games in the future. It makes sense though to keep using the facility especially if they keep drawing the numbers they have been.

Torsten Frings out for 4 to 6 weeks (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/torsten-frings-injury-update):

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that Captain Torsten Frings sustained a strain to his right hamstring during the first half of Saturday’s game in Seattle. The midfielder is expected to be out of Toronto FC's lineup for four to six weeks.

Head coach & technical director Aron Winter will be available to speak to the media following Tuesday's training session. Toronto FC TV will be on hand at training on Tuesday.

More info here (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?id=4138).

T-Bone
03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Toronto Signs Burgos Jr. (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/toronto-signs-burgos-jr)

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the club has signed midfielder Efrain Burgos Jr.

"Burgos is a player that has many qualities we like and he can play our style of football,’ said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter."He did well during preseason and we felt he can add depth and quality to our midfield.”

Burgos, 23, was originally selected in the third round, 44th overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC. Burgos played his college soccer with San Jose State University before transferring to California Polytechnic State University in 2008. During his college career, Burgos also played in the USL Premier Development League. He rejoined Toronto FC during preseason in Toronto and Orlando last month.

Burgos has been called to El Salvador’s national team on three occasions but has yet to earn a cap for his country. He holds dual citizenship from El Salvador and the United States.

EFRAIN BURGOS JR. #33
Position: Midfielder
Height: 5’11
Weight: 165
Birthdate: August 14, 1988
Born: Santa Ana, El Salvador Hometown: San Bruno, California
Nationality: Salvadoran/American
Last Club: University of California
How Acquired: Signed on Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Pronunciation: “Eff-rain Burr-go-z”

ArgoRavi
03-24-2012, 09:00 PM
So, is TFC really improved? They were whipped today at home 3-0 by San Jose. It is one thing to do well in a tournament but this team still needs to prove that they can be a force in league play.

T-Bone
03-25-2012, 01:09 AM
So, is TFC really improved? They were whipped today at home 3-0 by San Jose. It is one thing to do well in a tournament but this team still needs to prove that they can be a force in league play.
I agree with you. This team was looking much better in preseason and played two really great games in CONCACAF Champions League. However Torsten Frings got injured and the team seems to have fallen apart, which is unacceptable. I really hope they are going to play a better game come Wednesday because Santos Laguna are going to be a tough team to beat.

ArgoRavi
03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Just watching this TFC game against the Mexican squad. I am surprised by the number of empty seats at this game which is, arguably, the biggest in franchise history. Is that due to the weather, the high ticket prices or some other factor?

ArgoGabe22
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Beckham can only play for one team lol

Mulder
03-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Just watching this TFC game against the Mexican squad. I am surprised by the number of empty seats at this game which is, arguably, the biggest in franchise history. Is that due to the weather, the high ticket prices or some other factor?

Toronto loves it's one off "Big" events.

T-Bone
03-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Rogers Centre must be a superior venue. I'm just happy I witnessed it in person. A great game and decent result. We should have won but I'll take the 1:1 draw.

Will
03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
The weather stunk on Wednesday night so perhaps that was a factor.
Are CONCACAF champions league games also included as part of your season ticket package?

T-Bone
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
The weather stunk on Wednesday night so perhaps that was a factor.
Are CONCACAF champions league games also included as part of your season ticket package?
Attendance was announced at: 18950‎. CONCACAF Champions League tickets are not included in the season ticket package. Weather may have played a small factor but ticket prices I'm sure were the bigger factor. The majority of the empty seats were in the higher price ranges. There was also a lot less time to advertise and sell tickets for this game. Many of the casual fans that were at the Rogers Centre game probably didn't even know about this game.

Will
04-06-2012, 05:57 AM
The return leg in Mexico did not go well for the TFC at all! They lost 6-2 to Santos Laguna despite holding an advantage at halftime. They now go to Montreal where they are in dire need of a win.

ArgoRavi
04-07-2012, 03:04 PM
TFC lost yet again today in Montreal by a 2-1 score. They are now 0-4 in league play and very few teams have started out so poorly and still made the MLS playoffs. It is amazing how TFC looks to be worse than their two Canadian rivals who are quite new to the league.

R.J
04-08-2012, 05:19 PM
TFC lost yet again today in Montreal by a 2-1 score. They are now 0-4 in league play and very few teams have started out so poorly and still made the MLS playoffs. It is amazing how TFC looks to be worse than their two Canadian rivals who are quite new to the league.
Ravi are you becoming a TFC/MLS fan now ?

ArgoRavi
04-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Ravi are you becoming a TFC/MLS fan now ?

I am not becoming a TFC fan but I have to admit that I have found myself watching more soccer lately. Too bad for the MLS that I don't have one of those meters which measure my viewing.

T-Bone
04-09-2012, 01:17 PM
The return leg in Mexico did not go well for the TFC at all! They lost 6-2 to Santos Laguna despite holding an advantage at halftime. They now go to Montreal where they are in dire need of a win.
That was a pretty rough lose. The team played extremely well in the first half but just fell apart in the second. I still had fun watching it at the Monte Carlo sports book though.

I was there to witness it in person. You could see the team was gassed out. They have played five games in fifteen days, one in Mexico. It would have been a draw if not for Harden's defensive fail. Plus the red card against Emory should have been a yellow. I wouldn't count this team out of the playoffs yet. Vancouver has played one more game then we have and they only have two wins. Montreal has played two more games then we have and now they have the one win. It's good the team has the week off finally to rest up for Saturday.

I am not becoming a TFC fan but I have to admit that I have found myself watching more soccer lately. Too bad for the MLS that I don't have one of those meters which measure my viewing.
Not a fan, but a critic it seems.

Deerkeeper
04-15-2012, 10:20 PM
…and mightily bored was I. Well maybe not. Actually it wasn’t all that bad. I’ve certainly sat through worse 2 hours of entertainment before (I’ll thank any Sylvester Stallone movie for that). The TFC were playing some team called Chivas USA, whoever the hell they are. Why can’t this league have real team names like everyone else? This was really only the second full soccer game I have ever watched in person. The other was a Winnipeg Fury game back in nineteen eighty something or other. I find it’s easier to watch soccer on TV because you can usually find something else to do while the game is on and not feel like you are missing anything. That’s harder to do if you are at the game. On a few occasions I found myself looking at the game clock and thinking that time was standing still, but there a few things about the game I enjoyed and I don’t regret going. I can see myself going back again.

This was also my first chance to get into BMO Field to have a close look. Kind of impressed but not overly sold. I like the layout, with lots of - and a good variety of - concessions. They must take in a fair amount of revenue from that alone. However, I found the washrooms were small and cramped with long lines, but that is a complaint I have about almost every stadium/arena. I really don’t like the aluminium construction and those plastic seats looked really cheep. They are more comfortable to sit on then those benches in Ivor Wynn but whenever anyone moved I think the whole row moved with them. Then there is the location. There was a strong southerly breeze coming in off the lake and it was damn cold sitting in that upper deck. I can just imagine that place in late October or November. It was the sightlines and the cozy confines that impressed me the most and I can see why FC fans are being very protective of the stadium. It is a nice little soccer stadium and I think we Argos fans should quite coveting someone else’s house and look to filling our own. Skydome isn’t that bad, but should the Argonauts ever look to building their own place, BMO Field could act as a nice model of how to go.

A note on attendance: they announce 18k and change and not being that familiar with the stadium, I have no reason to dispute that figure but this was my view from the west side. Take this for what you will.
BMO Field's 18000 (https://picasaweb.google.com/Deerkeeper001/BMO#slideshow/5731596494661268914)

PS: Interesting overheard comment from someone sitting behind me. ”Third string Europeans are better than these guys”.

ArgoRavi
04-16-2012, 12:20 AM
For there to have been 18k, there shouldn't have been as many empty seats as there appeared to be on Saturday.

LLB997
04-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Screw Tfc (aka The Leafs In Cleats)

bring back the Blizzard

AAARRRGGGOOOSSS

T-Bone
04-16-2012, 08:27 AM
A note on attendance: they announce 18k and change and not being that familiar with the stadium, I have no reason to dispute that figure but this was my view from the west side. Take this for what you will.
BMO Field's 18000 (https://picasaweb.google.com/Deerkeeper001/BMO#slideshow/5731596494661268914)At what minute of play did you take that photo?

Deerkeeper
04-16-2012, 09:42 AM
At what minute of play did you take that photo?

That was part way through the second half; first half of the second half actually. A lot of people started leaving early (after I took this photo). That's nothing unusual for any sporting event, but there seemed to be a disproportionate number from what I have seen at other games. The guy behind me said that they were leaving to catch the GO train. That doesn't seem to make sense to me as a west bound GO showed up about 15 minutes after the game while I was walking to the street car to get to Union Station.

T-Bone
04-16-2012, 10:41 AM
That was part way through the second half; first half of the second half actually.
I have to admit I knew there were less people than normal but from where I stand (one section in from the south east corner) it looked busier then in your photo. However looking at footage from the game (http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/04/14/toronto-v-chivas-april-14-2012) you can see your photo is an accurate representation of how many were there.

A lot of people started leaving early (after I took this photo). That's nothing unusual for any sporting event, but there seemed to be a disproportionate number from what I have seen at other games. The guy behind me said that they were leaving to catch the GO train. That doesn't seem to make sense to me as a west bound GO showed up about 15 minutes after the game while I was walking to the street car to get to Union Station.
All I know is the east bound train leaves every hour on the hour and the west bound train leaves every 49 minutes past the hour from Exhibition Station. The game ended at about 6:30pm.

R.J
04-21-2012, 10:24 PM
TFC's announced attendance today was 19,255.
Really ? That's what 88% capacity looks like / C'mon Man !

argotom
04-22-2012, 12:55 PM
The now 0-6 FC against Liverpool. Yikes!

I do agree how we are naming and spending time on TFC way more then it deserves.

T-Bone
04-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Well we scored a pair of goals at home and held a lead for about 40 seconds so I guess that's improvement. Now all we need to do is win. Unfortunately a couple of defensive mistakes cost us the game. The game in six (http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/04/21/toronto-fc-v-chicago-fire-april-21-2012). We face Real Salt Lake on the road next Saturday at 9:00pm ET on Gol TV

ArgoRavi
04-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Not a fan, but a critic it seems.

That is a good characterization and, from what I can see, there is not much to praise so far this year.

T-Bone
04-22-2012, 01:41 PM
That is a good characterization and, from what I can see, there is not much to praise so far this year.
I don't mind your criticism of TFC as long as your criticism of the Argos is going to be equally objective.

ArgoRavi
04-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't mind your criticism of TFC as long as your criticism of the Argos is going to be equally objective.

If the Argos miss the playoffs for six straight years, of course I won't have much praise for them either. ;)

BTW, T-Bone, Cathal Kelly wrote a scathing article in the Star today about how the players seem to be turning off of Aron Winter and vice versa. Jason DeVos had some harsh words for TFC on Twitter as well. Can TFC regroup this year or is it already a lost cause?

T-Bone
04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
If the Argos miss the playoffs for six straight years, of course I won't have much praise for them either. ;)
That is your measurement for success then, eh. I guess that explains why you were so optimistic last season about the Argos despite much of the constructive criticism around here, some of which was seen as negative.

BTW, T-Bone, Cathal Kelly wrote a scathing article in the Star today about how the players seem to be turning off of Aron Winter and vice versa. Jason DeVos had some harsh words for TFC on Twitter as well.I read the article (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1165893--kelly-toronto-fc-s-discontent-appears-to-begin-with-winter) you are referring to and some of Jason DeVos' tweets (https://twitter.com/#!/jasondevos).

Can TFC regroup this year or is it already a lost cause?
I don't know but I hope so. Minus two defensive mistakes yesterday it could have been a different game. We saw what this team can do in Champions League. Unfortunately our defence has always been weak since day one and we need a strong central defender back there. Will firing Winter help us now? I don't think so because then we are just rebuilding again. I'm willing to give him some more time to turn things around, we still have 28 regular season games to go.

R.J
04-22-2012, 09:03 PM
I agree Ravi I think if the Argos start 0-6 you're going to see and hear a lot of PO'd Argo fans, and a lot of critiques will come from all angles.

I do find it odd in that TFC is in the top 3 of team payrolls, very far behind LA and NY though, and still can't seem to win much.
http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/m-l-s-salary-figures-released/#

T-Bone
04-23-2012, 08:45 AM
I agree Ravi I think if the Argos start 0-6 you're going to see and hear a lot of PO'd Argo fans, and a lot of critiques will come from all angles.
Not ArgoRavi though. He's ok as long as the Argos don't miss the playoffs six straight years, which explains his lack of criticism last season. Like I said I don't mind Argo fans criticizing TFC as long as their criticism of the Argos is equally objective.

I do find it odd in that TFC is in the top 3 of team payrolls, very far behind LA and NY though, and still can't seem to win much.
http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/m-l-s-salary-figures-released/#
I don't. Payroll is just one of many factors in a successful team. A higher payroll does not automatically translate to more wins.

ArgoRavi
04-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Not ArgoRavi though. He's ok as long as the Argos don't miss the playoffs six straight years, which explains his lack of criticism last season. Like I said I don't mind Argo fans criticizing TFC as long as their criticism of the Argos is equally objective.

If you read the forum last year, I did criticize the Argos and often. I didn't freak out about their poor season but I did criticize them. By the two-thirds mark of the season, it was clear that they weren't going to make the playoffs so I certainly wasn't saying all good things about them at all.

T-Bone
04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
One positive about Saturday's game was Reggie Lambe's two goals. The first was a beauty and is up for goal of the week. Vote here (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/04/23/vote-att-goal-week-week-7).

R.J
04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Seems a few here are fans of the Leafs in Cleats.
I'm not, and this site is honestly starting to turn me away because of all the TFC/soccer talk.
Oh wait I can't talk negatively about TFC, because fans can't grow a pair and think for themselves, now because Argos fans want fairness in the media, one of their fans want fairness on this site, give me an effin break.

Mulder
04-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm not, and this site is honestly starting to turn me away because of all the TFC/soccer talk.
Oh wait I can't talk negatively about TFC, because fans can't grow a pair and think for themselves, now because Argos fans want fairness in the media, one of their fans want fairness on this site, give me an effin break.

99% of the time, the person you speak of doesn't start this TFC/soccer talk. I only mentioned it here because it was relevant to the conversation.

T-Bone
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
I never said that but equality isn't a one way street. All I said is if someone is going to criticize one team they should be equally objective and criticize other teams in the same manner, otherwise they are just haters.

AngeloV
04-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Can't disagree with you there. As I have said many times, I am a huge Leafs fan as well as Argos (God how I miss the days when they were the only teams in this city), and the Leafs also take a lot of abuse on here, but I never get bent out of shape and defend them, because I know this is a Argos forum.

R.J
04-23-2012, 02:10 PM
99% of the time, the person you speak of doesn't start this TFC/soccer talk. I only mentioned it here because it was relevant to the conversation.
You are correct it is usually others that bring up TFC to either compare a situation or just bash more or less, not disagreeing with that.

Hey SnowRogue, to change the topic, you have Winnipeg connections, correct? What's the story on the new stadium in Winnipeg? Will the Argos have to play their scheduled game on September 29th at the old stadium or is there still a chance that they will be playing at the new one?
Honestly Ravi I have no idea, so many rumours currently, Mayor Katz recently brought up that Investors Group Field will not be ready until the Banjo Bowl, some construction "experts" have stated it will not be ready at all this season and will open up for 2013, and the Bombers have stated that if the steel piles are off the field the week of May 1st, July 26th (First regular season Bomber home game) is the start date. IMO I could see the Banjo bowl start, but I'm no construction expert, so it could go either way.

I never said that but equality isn't a one way street. All I said is if someone is going to criticize one team they should be equally objective and criticize other teams in the same manner, otherwise they are just haters.Last season there was a lot of criticism of the team, from Cleo Lemon, Jyles, the defense, the Argos going 6-12, smoke and mirrors, even some fans did bring up how announced crowds were 18-20,000 but you couldn't tell by the bums in the seats.

Can't disagree with you there. As I have said many times, I am a huge Leafs fan as well as Argos (God how I miss the days when they were the only teams in this city), and the Leafs also take a lot of abuse on here, but I never get bent out of shape and defend them, because I know this is a Argos forum.
I know what you mean Angelo, I'm a Canucks fan and the Nucks take a lot of abuse everywhere, doesn't bother me though.

R.J
04-24-2012, 04:43 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=394091
Let's be honest this has nothing to do with the game of soccer, and everything to do with money.

T-Bone
04-24-2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=394091
Let's be honest this has nothing to do with the game of soccer, and everything to do with money.
You're not going to get any argument from me about that. Like I said here:

Many TFC fans aren't happy about this either. Apparently Rogers is behind the event. A few years back fans made it known to the club we want the team to be focused on making the payoffs not playing meaningless friendless in the middle of the season were players could potentially get hurt etc. So the club said they would stop doing them and took the friendlies out of the season ticket package replacing them with two Canadian Championship tickets instead. I know most of the hardcore fans won't be attending the Liverpool match.

argotom
04-24-2012, 09:20 PM

Agreed with you.
How about just an Argo and CFL fan only, with all other leagues and local teams pricing themselves out of reality both ticket wise and overpaid athletes.

T-Bone
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
TFC's announced attendance today was 19,255.
Really ? That's what 88% capacity looks like / C'mon Man !
It's obvious they are not announcing how many people walked through the gate but there are 18,000 season tickets sold so it's very possible 19,225 tickets were sold for the game.

"The best thing is to be sold out. To have a sellout you need 75 per cent of capacity in season tickets. That means for a 25,000-seat stadium you need to sell 18,000 season tickets. I think that's realistic. It would be hard to sell 35,000 season tickets (at 50,000-seat Skydome)." (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/4224-toronto-to-get-new-downtown-stadium/)
I guess by that standard TFC is doing alright then.

Mulder
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
It's obvious they are not announcing how many people walked through the gate but there are 18,000 season tickets sold so it's very possible $19,225 tickets were sold for the game.

MLS counts tickets distributed and not people though the gates.

T-Bone
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
this site is honestly starting to turn me away because of all the TFC/soccer talk.
That's ironic as it appears you currently hold the record of most posts with references to TFC outside of "The Toronto FC Thread."

Toronto FC manager says playoffs are still in reach of winless MLS team (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1167468--toronto-fc-manager-says-playoffs-are-still-in-reach-of-winless-mls-team)

April 24, 2012

Neil Davidson

Toronto FC is down but not out. Making the playoffs is still a reality. And the team will turn things around.

A smiling Aron Winter was spreading the positives around Tuesday like an avid gardener with a fresh batch of manure.

The Dutch manager still insists his 0-6-0 MLS team is about to bloom.

While some see Toronto FC as one loss from tying the league record for worst start to a season, Winter sees it as one win away from starting something special.

“It’s very important to get the first points. And the moment we get the first points, everything is going to turn,” the Dutch manager said.

“And I believe in it. We’re going to fix it.”

Winter says he has the backing of ownership to do that, although there seemed to be a clock ticking to comments made Sunday to The Canadian Press by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment COO Tom Anselmi.

“They have to get this straightened out. Our fans deserve better,” said Anselmi.

Winter acknowledges the situation is difficult — “not nice” has been his familiar phrase — but his optimism was impressive Tuesday as reporters questioned his future.

Still, things don’t get any easier for TFC as it visits Real Salt Lake, which at 5-3-0 has 15 more points, on Saturday.

Real’s league record at home is 33-5-13 since the start of the 2009 season. Toronto’s away record over the same period is 6-29-14.

The one road win on Winter’s TFC resumé was a 4-2 victory over the Columbus Crew last September.

On the positive front, Toronto will have the advantage of rest since Real Salt Lake plays Wednesday at FC Dallas.

Job 1 for Toronto is to stop leaking goals. The team has conceded three or more in three of its six league losses.

“The first thing that we have to address is keeping the ball out of our own net,” said forward Ryan Johnson. “If we can do that, then anything can happen in Salt Lake.”

Frailties in TFC’s backline have forced Winter to play midfielder Torsten Frings as a defensive stopper, but the pending return of Jamaican international Dicoy Williams and American Jeremy Hall from injury may give him more defensive options. A healthy Adrian Cann has already stepped right back into the lineup, although his and Frings’ lack of pace was exposed by Chicago’s speedy strike duo of Patrick Nyarko and Dominic Oduro in last Saturday’s 3-2 loss to the visiting Fire.

Winter would clearly like to deploy Frings in his preferred midfield position, where the former German international can pull the strings and move forward as needed. But he hasn’t felt confident enough to push Frings forward.

Winter’s options outside the squad are limited other than MLS trades. And while he can tinker, he realizes that rearranging the lineup each week takes a toll on consistency and confidence.

But Johnson, for one, expects changes.

“I definitely think so. This is history that we’re making — in the wrong direction. And I think you have to make some changes at some place, I don’t know where. But some change needs to happen. Things can’t just continue to go on the same way.”

Winter rarely shows his cards but has been more candid in recent days as his team swirled around the MLS drain.

On Saturday, in assessing his club’s problems, he cited a lack of quality and the need for better players in some positions.

Those comments raised the hackles of some players but Winter stood by his words Tuesday, saying simply, “It’s true.”

Winter rejected any suggestion that his formation, which has come under fire in some quarters, was at fault.

“My vision with three strikers — 4-3-3 — is going to stay always.”

He also pointed the finger at veteran leadership on the field in the absence of Frings, who returned on the weekend after five weeks away due to a hamstring strain.

“We need some more personalities on the pitch,” he said.

Asked to elaborate, Winter said: “We need players coaching (on the pitch).”

“It’s strange because in the CONCACAF Champions League, that was a team that was coaching (itself) and at a certain moment it slipped away.”

Johnson gave his own thumbs up to Winter — “I believe in Aron. I have confidence in him” — and agreed with his manager that the playoffs are still a possibility.

“It’s still early and we’re in the East (conference),” he said. “If we were in the West, I think it would be a different story, to be realistic. Being in the East, we can expect a lot of teams to drop points.

“And if we do what we’re supposed to do and start picking up some points sooner than later, it’ll put us right back in that (playoff) hunt.”

Five teams make the playoffs from each conference. Toronto, in 10th spot in the weaker East, is currently eight points behind fifth-place Houston.

Winter’s team has matched the 2001 D.C. United team for the second-worst start in league history. The worst start belongs to the 1999 Kansas City Wizards.

If the losing streak continues, one wonders how much more time Winter has.

Asked if he feared for his manager’s job, 21-year-old forward Reggie Lambe paused.

“I don’t want to answer that question,” he eventually replied.

After Real Salt Lake, Toronto travels to Montreal for a midweek Canadian Championship game with the Impact before returning to BMO Field to host D.C. United on May 5

Mulder
04-25-2012, 02:42 PM
That's ironic as it appears you currently hold the record of most posts with references to TFC outside of "The Toronto FC Thread."

Confirmed.

T-Bone, I'm upset your losing this 14-27.

If you guys don't want to talk about TFC, then don't talk about TFC. But don't complain that there's to much TFC talk, when it's the very people who are complaining about it that keep bringing it up. I brought it up because it was relevant to the conversation and why we had a Wednesday game.

Toronto FC manager says playoffs are still in reach of winless MLS team (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1167468--toronto-fc-manager-says-playoffs-are-still-in-reach-of-winless-mls-team)

Guess that's the benefit of a 34 game season. And each win worth 3 points.

However, only 5 teams in the past 5 seasons has made the playoffs with 12 or more losses (one with 13 rest with 12) I don't see TFC winning or draw 22 games this season.

In tough over the next few games with Real Salt Lake, D.C. United Twice, then Philly at the end of May. If they don't get points in at least 3 of them, they are done!

AngeloV
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Confirmed.

If you guys don't want to talk about TFC, then don't talk about TFC. But don't complain that there's to much TFC talk, when it's the very people who are complaining about it that keep bringing it up. I brought it up because it was relevant to the conversation and why we had a Wednesday game.

Why don't you 2 just get a room?

Mulder
04-25-2012, 04:01 PM

On Saturday!

T-Bone
04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Why don't you relax, have a drink?

On Saturday!
See you Saturday.

R.J
04-25-2012, 04:41 PM

Confirmed.

The fact that you guys are wasting your own time to calculate posts is hilarious.
I love how you two complain about people ganging up on TFC, yet you have no issue doing it to others :hi:
Angelo's right get a room, happy that you guys are friends and all, but this is pathetic to say the least.

I have no issue with people bringing up the team to compare them to other T.O sports, its the fans coming onto an Argos fan forum defending them and having a love fest that I take issue with.
No need for caped crusaders here, you might change Mulder's mind about TFC and soccer, even Ravi is watching more of it, but you can't "save" the rest of us.
http://images.cpcache.com/merchandise/514_400x400_Peel.png?region=name:FrontCenter,id:23 906686,w:16

AngeloV
04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Why don't you relax, have a drink?

As a matter of fact I'm sitting in the office doing just that right now. Gotta love when the big bosses come up for a town hall.

I have no issue with people bringing up the team to compare them to other T.O sports, its the fans coming onto an Argos fan forum defending them and having a love fest that I take issue with.
No need for caped crusaders here, you might change Mulder's mind about TFC and soccer, even Ravi is watching more of it, but you can't "save" the rest of us.
http://images.cpcache.com/merchandise/514_400x400_peel.png?region=name:frontcenter,id:23 906686,w:16

lmfao!!!!!!!!

Mulder
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
The fact that you guys are wasting your own time to calculate posts is hilarious.
I love how you two complain about people ganging up on TFC, yet you have no issue doing it to others :hi:
Angelo's right get a room, happy that you guys are friends and all, but this is pathetic to say the least.

Wasting time? It took 2 minutes to search mentions of "TFC" to find out how many mentions in the double blue room there was, then I searched by member name, gave me numbers right away. So all in all maybe 5 minutes.
I find it funny you think it took "time" to "calculate"

You bitch and whine about TFC, and then decide there is too much TFC talk. That Sir, Is Pathetic.

I have no issues with bitching and whining about TFC, sometimes I do get involved, and everytime T-bone gets involved it's to encourage discussion and dismay all the non-sense rumours or skewed facts because some people here just can't handle the truth. Then, Start to complain again because in the end they don't have an argument vs the facts.

At what point does it stop? At what point does everyone just grow up? Either make a discussion and educate yourself and share your point of view or just shut up.

You guys bitch at the mods and I for being "Goderators" for allegedly deleting posts and topics, over stepping our authority and even when I banned someone after 5 complaints, 2 emails and a phone call, and I get bitched at. How nice?

Yet you want me to ban someone, who's an Argo Season Ticket holder, May not fully understand the game in all it's parts, but is still just as passionate as anyone else here about both the CFL and the Argonauts. Just because he's invoking section 2b of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Shame.

I'm now splitting this thread and locking the non-sense that went on, If you wish to discuss how upset you are about the Argo game on a Wednesday because Rogers wants Liverpool to come on Grass on a Saturday at the Rogers Centre, please do. But if I see anymore bullshit posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand i'll give all parties involved a few days to think about what they've done, and how they could have done it differently.

If you have any issues PM me.

Stephen

R.J
04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
It's obvious they are not announcing how many people walked through the gate but there are 18,000 season tickets sold so it's very possible 19,225 tickets were sold for the game.
Just a question, how many are season ticket holders though ?
75% of 21,140 is 15,855
or 75% of 21,859 is 16,394 (Wikipedia has two different capacity numbers)

T-Bone
04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Just a question, how many are season ticket holders though ?
75% of 21,140 is 15,855
or 75% of 21,859 is 16,394 (Wikipedia has two different capacity numbers)
16,000 is the last reported number (http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/WinnipegHome/20081211/torontofc_tickets_081211/). All we know after that is that season tickets have been sold out every year since. We also know that this year they started selling season tickets in the north stand which they have not done in the past.

ArgoRavi
05-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Guess that's the benefit of a 34 game season. And each win worth 3 points.

However, only 5 teams in the past 5 seasons has made the playoffs with 12 or more losses (one with 13 rest with 12) I don't see TFC winning or draw 22 games this season.

In tough over the next few games with Real Salt Lake, D.C. United Twice, then Philly at the end of May. If they don't get points in at least 3 of them, they are done!

Well, they have fared no better in league play in May as they are now 0-9 with 0 points. They are doing much better in Canadian championship competition but they have struggled mightily in league competition.

Mulder
05-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, they have fared no better in league play in May as they are now 0-9 with 0 points. They are doing much better in Canadian championship competition but they have struggled mightily in league competition.

To finish off the month of May they play Philly. Which at first glance looks like TFC's best chance at a win because they are second last in the east. But Philly at least looks someone solid defensively, with a goal difference of -5 compared to TFC's -14

Fans on certain fan boards are calling for the firing or coach/GM and executive's with MLSE and even sale of the team. Makes me want to comment on something like "Guess Cynamon and Sokolowski don't look that bad now" in reference to when they were interested in bringing an MLS team to Toronto first, and how the fan boards reacted to that after the fact. (lets just say some pretty harsh things were called)

matchuk
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Toronto FC is down but not out. Making the playoffs is still a reality. And the team will turn things around.

sounds exactly like any other MLSE operated team...just change the team name at the front

1argoholic
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
This team just gets crappier from year to year. Personally I couldn't care but it just gives Toronto haters more to go on and on about. How many games has Vancouver won? I'm pretty sure they've won a few. How are crowds at these games? Seems like everthing MLSE touches turns straight into SH!T yet they still make boatloads of CASH just like Oliver. haha. Says plenty about sports fans in TO.

T-Bone
05-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Says plenty about sports fans in TO.
They are passionate about their teams?

Will
05-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Toronto FC won their first game of the season 1-0 over Philadelphia yesterday.

ArgoRavi
05-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Toronto FC won their first game of the season 1-0 over Philadelphia yesterday.

They also won another Canadian championship this week so they have had a good week.

gilthethrill
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM
How does a team with a 1-9 record on the season have the title of Champion? Like Dave Naylor tweeted "I don't get soccer"...

Deerkeeper
05-27-2012, 04:11 PM
They also won another Canadian championship this week so they have had a good week.

When is the parade?

Mulder
05-27-2012, 11:14 PM
How does a team with a 1-9 record on the season have the title of Champion? Like Dave Naylor tweeted "I don't get soccer"...

Plays in 2 different leagues. Sucks in one, happened to win in the other.

I didn't like the format of the Canadian Championship this year, which had Edmonton play Vancouver in a home and home, same with Toronto vs Montreal to start.

They should do a round robin with all 4 teams, top 2 teams with most wins/goal aggregate play a 1 game playoff. Would make it more interesting

As for TFC's win. I'm not too sure things will turn around this season. They won, but scored in the 88th minute of a 90 minute game that could have went either way against the second worst team in the conference.

1argoholic
05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't think the majority of North Americans will ever take this sport seriously when you have guys diving around like they've been shot. The only soccer I see is highlights and the clown last week for Vancouver who fell like he was hit with a George St. Pierre roundhouse kick was too sad to be laughable. The TFC guy barely touched him with a finger if he even made contact. Then there's that classic over played highlight of some guy biting anothers guys package a few years ago in a goal celebration. Not a game I can get into. It's bad enough we have hours of poker on sports networks let alone bag biting divers.haha

Mulder
05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't think the majority of North Americans will ever take this sport seriously when you have guys diving around like they've been shot. The only soccer I see is highlights and the clown last week for Vancouver who fell like he was hit with a George St. Pierre roundhouse kick was too sad to be laughable. The TFC guy barely touched him with a finger if he even made contact. Then there's that classic over played highlight of some guy biting anothers guys package a few years ago in a goal celebration. Not a game I can get into. It's bad enough we have hours of poker on sports networks let alone bag biting divers.haha

This is one of the biggest things I hate about the game. Soccer fans will just tell you "It's part of the game" With a guy rolling around pretending to be in pain. Only to get up and continue playing. Only to kill time.

If a guy is down more than 10 seconds, or is pretending to be injured. Get him out of the game, and have him sit on the bench for the next 10 minutes. A CFL type rule to prevent this.
I'm torn between allowing a sub for him, or having his team play short handed.

Shit, I took a slapshot in the lower ribcage last night and still managed to play on, and you should see this bruise. I even played one more shift when I split my elbow open 3 years ago. Requiring 7 stitches (2 on the inside)

1argoholic
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
I know I never used to show that a guy hurt me with a hit. I still remember being run into the boards from behind at Port Credit arena years ago. My knee and head were the only thing to hit the boards and I obviously had a concussion with seeing stars and an instant killer headache. However I didn't want to show my pain and got up and went to the bench. Funny how you never forget the bad hits. I think it's a Canadian thing to not give anyone the satisfaction of knowing they just put a real hurt on you. Screw lying around trying to draw a penalty.

ArgoGabe22
05-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Every country has a league. Outside of the league is a little tournament for the worlds best clubs. TFC won the Canadian trophy so TFC represents Canada. Now TFC will have to play the best teams from other North and Central American teams (US, Mex, Pan etc.). If they beat these American teams then they will represent North America. Chelsea won the Champions League so they represent Europe. TFC will then compete against Chelsea, an Asian team, African team, South American team to see who is the Worlds best. If you know how HS sports work its kinda like you need to win ROPSAA before going to OFSAA and after that it becomes Ontario vs Alberta and so on.

Example, to find out who the real world champions are imagine the BC Lions facing the NY Giants to see who is the best in North America. Then if the Lions win they will have to play best from Asia, Europe. Hope that helps somewhat.

1argoholic
05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I've always found this strange how they play regular league games and these games and exhitbition games all during the season.

matthew
05-31-2012, 01:50 PM
I gotta admit, little jealous. Would like to see the argos have something like this to be sure. They deserve the very best. I for one would certainly contribute to a grassroots campaign to make it happen.

http://www.thestar.com/videozone/1202885--new-tfc-training-centre

T-Bone
06-06-2012, 10:16 AM
The CONCACAF Champions League draw was held yesterday and TFC will be facing Santos Laguna again (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/06/toronto-draws-santos-rematch):

Two-time defending champion Monterrey will face Chorillo of Panama and Municipal of Guatemala in the Group Stage of the CONCACAF Champions League, while Mexican title winner Santos will play Toronto FC and Aguila of El Salvador.

Tuesday's draw conducted by Acting General Secretary Ted Howard at the New York headquarters of the confederation set the match-ups for the fifth installment of the tournament, which changed its format by eliminating the Preliminary Round and establishing an initial round of eight, three-team groups.

Besides Group 1 with Santos and Group 7 with Monterrey, the LA Galaxy will head Group 5 with Metapan of El Salvador and the third-place team from the Caribbean; Mexican Apertura champion Tigres was placed in Group 6 with Alajuelense of Costa Rica and Real Esteli of Nicaragua; and 11-time Mexican champion Chivas de Guadalajara will be in Group 8 with Xelaju of Guatemala and the second-place team from the Caribbean.

Four teams remain in the Caribbean Club Champions Cup, the Puerto Rico Islanders, Antigua Barracuda FC and W Connection and Caledonia AIA of Trinidad, from which three will qualify for the Champions League.

The remainder of the groups were drawn with Herediano of Costa Rica, 2011 runner-up Real Salt Lake and Tauro FC of Panama in Group 2; Olimpia of Honduras, the Houston Dynamo of the United States and CD FAS of El Salvador in Group 3; and the Seattle Sounders FC, Marathon of Honduras and the Caribbean champion in Group 4.

Only the group winners will advance to the knockout round.

Unlike previous years where a second draw was conducted to set the pairings for the Championship round, the quarterfinals will match the team with the best record against the qualifier with the worst record. The second-best team will face the seventh-best, third against sixth and fourth against fifth.

The top four teams will play the second leg at home.

In the semifinals, the winner of 1-vs-8 will face the winner of 4-vs-5 (with the 1-vs-8 winner hosting the second leg), and likewise 3-vs-6 will play 4-vs-5 (with the survivor of 3-vs-6 hosting the second leg). In the finals, the team that prevails out of the upper bracket of 1-vs-8_4-vs-5 will host the second leg.

The Champions League will begin July 31 and conclude October 26, with the quarterfinals set to begin March 5.

Group 1
Santos Laguna (MEX)
Toronto FC (CAN)
Aguila (SLV)

Group 2
Herediano (CRC)
Real Salt Lake (USA)
Tauro FC (PAN)

Group 3
Olimpia (HON)
Houston Dynamo (USA)
FAS (SLV)

Group 4
Seattle Sounders FC (USA)
Marathon (HON)
Caribbean 1

Group 5
LA Galaxy (USA)
Metapan (SLV)
Caribbean 3

Group 6
Tigres UANL (MEX)
Alajuelense (CRC)
Real Esteli (NIC)

Group 7
Chorillo (PAN)
Monterrey (MEX)
Municipal (GUA)

Group 8
Xelaju (GUA)
Chivas de Guadalajara (MEX)
Caribbean 2

T-Bone
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Paul Mariner replaces Aron Winter as head coach of Toronto FC (http://www.torontofc.ca/live)

T-Bone
06-18-2012, 01:56 PM
With another lose on Saturday and now this (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/18/tfc-players-busted-in-drunken-brawl), I'm calling this season a write off. I'm putting the blame on MLSE mismanagement. We were told Winter was going to get 3 years to sort things out and he was given about a year and a half. In my opinion it's time for Tom Anselmi to step down from his position and stop telling us how he is trying to put the right people in place to manage this team.

Will
06-18-2012, 01:58 PM
With another lose on Saturday and now this (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/18/tfc-players-busted-in-drunken-brawl), I'm calling this season a write off. I'm putting the blame on MLSE mismanagement. We were told Winter was going to get 3 years to sort things out and he was given about a year and a half. In my opinion it's time for Tom Anselmi to step down from his position and stop telling us how he is trying to put the right people in place to manage this team.

Well, if T-Bone says it's over, then it's definitely over.

argonaut11xx
06-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I wonder if the TFC coach will have enough balls to suspend these clowns...Its a very similiar situation to what happened with Nashville this past NHL playoff's.

I would suspend them without pay or cut them outright, kinda makes Wroten's attitude look like he was the "consumate team player"

T-Bone
06-18-2012, 02:15 PM
I wonder if the TFC coach will have enough balls to suspend these clowns...Its a very similiar situation to what happened with Nashville this past NHL playoff's.

I get suspend them without pay or cut them outright, kinda makes Wroten's attitude look like he was the "consumate team player"
I would agree with a suspension with out pay for x amount of games and/or a fine with a suspension for x amount of games.

argonaut11xx
06-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Were these guys "top" level players? Team captians or anything like that?...or were they just ham'n'eggers, or subs?

I dont understand any athlete who is blessed enough to play ANY pro sport , then displays this type of STUPID behaviour...its mindblowing

T-Bone
06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Were these guys "top" level players? Team captians or anything like that?...or were they just ham'n'eggers, or subs?

I dont understand any athlete who is blessed enough to play ANY pro sport , then displays this type of STUPID behaviour...its mindblowing
All three are starting players, none of them are captains. Athletes are people too and none of us are perfect. You and I are lucky that no one cares enough about our mistakes to put them in a news article.

UPDATE:

Club Statement From Houston (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/06/club-statement-houston)

Toronto FC sends arrested players home (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-looks-to-take-focus-off-police-blotter-and-deliver-on-the-pitch-159625375.html)

Toronto FC head coach Paul Mariner addresses recent player issues (http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/06/19/paul-mariner-june-19-2012)

Aceval speaks on Chilean radio (http://deportes.biobiochile.cl/notas/2012/06/20/miguel-aceval-aclara-detencion-sufrida-en-estados-unidos-tras-incidente-con-taxista.shtml)

Translation:

What they said is not true. Obviously, we had had a few drinks, but we weren't intoxicated the way they said. What happened was, one of my buddies was arguing with a taxi-driver and he hit the car. Then we saw the driver coming out of the car with a stick while people egged him on. We jumped in so he wouldn't hit our buddy and told him it was nothing. The people who were inside the place were going after my friend and that was it. It wasn't a big fight like everyone in the news was saying.

We were in the car and the police told me to get out and they detained me. The reason that they gave me was that it was because we were drunk, not because of the fight. If it had been for the fight, fine, but it wasn't. All of that had already ended and they still took the three of us in.

T-Bone
06-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Toronto FC grudgingly accepts draw at Houston (http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2012/06/21/3191147/toronto-fc-grudgingly-accepts-draw-at-houston)

T-Bone
06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Another late game collapse leaves Toronto FC settling for a draw (http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2012/06/23/3196540/another-late-game-collapse-leaves-toronto-fc-settling-for-a)

Will
06-25-2012, 12:28 PM
This team seems to be cursed.

T-Bone
06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Game in Six (http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/06/27/montreal-v-tfc-june-27-2012)

Impact take 'step backwards' in heavy home defeat to Toronto FC (http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2012/06/27/3205488/impact-take-step-backwards-in-heavy-home-defeat-to-toronto)

T-Bone
06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/TopDogg79/Team%20logos/t280_sm.gif vs. http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/TopDogg79/Team%20logos/t107_sm.gif

MLS Regular Season: Matchday #15
Saturday, June 30th 2012. 7:00pm ET.
BMO Field. Toronto, ON.

TV: Spotsnet One
Radio: Sportsnet Radio Fan 590
Video Webcast: MLS Live (http://live.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/)
Audio Webcast: Sportsnet Radio Fan 590 (http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air)

Tickets Available: Here (http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/10004842BCD98002?artistid=1110670&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11) or at the BMO Field (http://bmofield.com/) Gate 1 Box Office Monday to Friday from 10am-6pm and on Gamedays

Game in six (http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/06/30/tfc-v-new-york-june-30-2012)

Toronto FC takes pride in being 'harder to beat' (http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2012/06/30/3212279/toronto-fc-takes-pride-in-being-harder-to-beat)

T-Bone
07-01-2012, 10:12 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/TopDogg79/Team%20logos/t104_sm.gif vs. http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/TopDogg79/Team%20logos/t280_sm.gif

MLS Regular Season: Matchday #16
Wednesday, July 4th 2012. 9:00pm ET.
FC Dallas Stadium. Frisco, TX.

TV: TSN (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/broadcast-schedule-unveiled)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/reds-radio-2012)
Video Webcast: N/A
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)

Game in Six (http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/07/05/fc-dallas-v-toronto-fc-july-4-2012)

Koevermans' goal streak reaches five games
(http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2012/07/05/3222655/koevermans-goal-streak-reaches-five-games)

T-Bone
07-05-2012, 09:18 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/TopDogg79/Team%20logos/Philadelphia-union.jpg vs. http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/TopDogg79/Team%20logos/t280_sm.gif

MLS Regular Season: Matchday #17
Sunday, July 8th 2012. 4:00pm ET.
PPL Park. Chester, PA.

TV: TSN (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/broadcast-schedule-unveiled)
Radio: Sportsnet Radio Fan 590 (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/reds-radio-2012)
Video Webcast: N/A
Audio Webcast: Sportsnet Radio Fan 590 (http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)

T-Bone
07-05-2012, 12:15 PM
10 things you didn't know about FC Toronto (http://www.lfctour.com/news/10-things-you-didn-t-know-about-fc-toronto)

1. That's not the name of the club. More mistakes inside.

Will
07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Too many draws aren't a good thing.

argonaut11xx
07-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Ok...just curious why didnt Toronto call its soccer team the "Blizzard"?
They could have kept some tradition going, like Vancouver did with the "whitecaps"
The old NASL days, Pele in the league, and Brian Bud, Canada's GREATEST Superstar.
(He was undefeated in the "superstars" competition)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8