PDA

View Full Version : OUA play-offs and the Yates

OV Argo
11-08-2021, 08:59 PM
Coming down to undefeated Queens vs. the GGs in the East; and Western vs. Guelph in the West.

I'll bet on a Queens/Western (though Guelph could pull-off the upset) Yates, and then the Gaels would host in Kingston (Nov. 20 - thinking of making the trek to that game if the weather looks good)

On a sad note sort of - Waterloo star QB Tre Ford ended his college ball career with a lopsided loss to Western; seems they just don't have a solid D, plus their offence had lost 2 big play guys in tailback Dion Pellerin and receiver Ty Ternowski who both went on to make CFL teams; but Ford still put up solid passing #s (63.4 completion % and 10 TDs to 4 INTs) PLUS rushed for an average of over 100 yards per game - to finish top 5 in the country in rushing ! What's sadder probably is that such a QB talent is likely to be written-off by the CFL GOBs for a real CFL try-out (inspite of being in the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 prospects list - as Adam Sinagra was before him, and he got CFL totally snubbed).

Foxhound
11-08-2021, 10:16 PM
Coming down to undefeated Queens vs. the GGs in the East; and Western vs. Guelph in the West.

I'll bet on a Queens/Western (though Guelph could pull-off the upset) Yates, and then the Gaels would host in Kingston (Nov. 20 - thinking of making the trek to that game if the weather looks good)

I agree. Guelph is perhaps the team that most often gives the powerhouse Mustangs fits in the playoffs and pulls off an upset. I've waited more than a dozen years to see Western thump Queens in a big playoff game so hopefully I'll finally get my wish this year.

What's sadder probably is that such a QB talent is likely to be written-off by the CFL GOBs for a real CFL try-out (inspite of being in the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 prospects list - as Adam Sinagra was before him, and he got CFL totally snubbed).

Sad but true.

:mad:

j-ski
11-09-2021, 11:01 AM

On a sad note sort of - Waterloo star QB Tre Ford ended his college ball career with a lopsided loss to Western; seems they just don't have a solid D, plus their offence had lost 2 big play guys in tailback Dion Pellerin and receiver Ty Ternowski who both went on to make CFL teams; but Ford still put up solid passing #s (63.4 completion % and 10 TDs to 4 INTs) PLUS rushed for an average of over 100 yards per game - to finish top 5 in the country in rushing ! What's sadder probably is that such a QB talent is likely to be written-off by the CFL GOBs for a real CFL try-out (inspite of being in the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 prospects list - as Adam Sinagra was before him, and he got CFL totally snubbed).

I'm sure Tre Ford will get drafted. My guess is they will try to convert him to a receiver in the CFL:(

OV Argo
11-13-2021, 09:15 PM
Conference finals set:

Bishops at StFX; FX got a scare from Acadia, so Bishop's might give them a tough game ?

Laval at Montreal (tomorrow) Montreal killed them earlier in the season, but in one big play-off game, who knows, and Laval are still solid

Western at Queens - should be a great match-up; battle of 2 great ground game teams

Manitoba at Sask. Huskies - Green Dawgs have a lot of veteran key players ( 4 guys already CFL drafted and a few more who are rated top prospects for next CFL draft), but the Bisons smoked Alberta today

All of the winners of todays play-off games (except the Huskies) won with a heavy dose of ground game as key to their offences (the Huskies went more pass happy and Argo draft pick Sam Baker had a huge receiving game) = so nice to see in Canadian football - lots of run game and more balanced offences.

CanWest winner goes to Quebec and AUS winner plays against OUA winner.

I'll guess: StFX gets beat by Queens; and Montreal takes out Sasky.

Queens / Carabins would be a great Vanier match-up IMO - we shall see.

Foxhound
11-14-2021, 02:32 PM
I think Queens benefitted by having a soft schedule in the comparatively weak OUAA East. Go Mustangs!

:)

OV Argo
11-14-2021, 04:27 PM
Montreal take out Laval in the Dunsmore.

Carabins are a very solid team, with a diverse offence; rookie QB Senecal has a strong arm and can run - he might be up for the Hec by next season; they also have a big 230 pound back in Beaulieu who has quick feet and also shows receiver skills.

CanWest winner will be in very tough travelling to Montreal; but always nice to see those Conference show-downs; also nice to see a full stadium - they love Canadian football in Quebec.

argolio
11-20-2021, 03:47 PM
That was a letdown. Typical Western losing an early season game and then finishing really strong.

OV Argo
11-21-2021, 04:43 PM
That was a letdown. Typical Western losing an early season game and then finishing really strong.

Disappointing game by Queens; but they deserved to lose with so many mistakes, fumbles, dropped passes; their QB set the tone early in the game when he held on to the ball too long and got stripped - Mustangs take over on O and score; and then Queens' D could not limit the Mustangs big ground attack enough - again, so nice to see a team commit to lots of run in Canadian football - you never see that in the modern CFL.

Not really a 29-0 game IMO; Queens had the ball deep in Western territory often but blew all these chances to get back in the game.

Mocha
11-21-2021, 06:57 PM
Disappointing game by Queens; but they deserved to lose with so many mistakes, fumbles, dropped passes; their QB set the tone early in the game when he held on to the ball too long and got stripped - Mustangs take over on O and score; and then Queens' D could not limit the Mustangs big ground attack enough - again, so nice to see a team commit to lots of run in Canadian football - you never see that in the modern CFL.

Not really a 29-0 game IMO; Queens had the ball deep in Western territory often but blew all these chances to get back in the game.

All those drops were driving me nuts. The score could've been much closer.

AngeloV
11-22-2021, 12:47 PM

I don't think this will ever change. Western will always be a huge destination for the top Ontario players that don't head south.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8