PDA

View Full Version : Salaries

Wobbler
11-22-2021, 10:35 PM
John Hodge posted a series of articles on 3downnation (https://3downnation.com/?s=highest-paid) this Fall listing the highest paid players in the league at each position. Well, mostly. I guess he gave up on it at some point; the last update was three weeks ago and DBs and QBs never came up.

I was curious to see how the Argos ranked, and here they are:

OL: Jamal Campbell is ninth in the league ($155K)
WR: none in the top 10
RB/FB: Declan Cross is fifth in the league ($86K)

DL: Charleston Hughes is tied for fifth in the league ($150K)
LB: Cam Judge is first in the league ($150K) and Dexter McCoil is eighth in the league ($113K)

With the benefit of hindsight... the Hughes and Judge acquisitions didn't work out. Neither signing seems like a terrible decision, though. A soon-to-be-38-year-old Hughes wasn't likely to dominate the league again, but a year of rest might have mitigated his decline. Judge had a terrific 2019 with the Riders and looked a bit like the next Kevin Eiben - who wouldn't want that?

paulwoods13
11-23-2021, 07:48 AM
Five Argos listed out of 50 in five position groups, yet if you believe many fans around the league, the Argos are massively in violation of cap provisions.

AngeloV
11-24-2021, 12:19 PM
Five Argos listed out of 50 in five position groups, yet if you believe many fans around the league, the Argos are massively in violation of cap provisions.

3DN nation resident idiot Josh Smith doesn't seem to understand this in his totally useless write up today.

https://3downnation.com/2021/11/24/likability-rankings-for-the-six-2021-cfl-playoff-teams/

5. Toronto Argonauts

The city doesn’t support the team, they spent oodles of money to buy themselves out of irrelevance, and do they have any players who you’re aching to see get a ring? There is just nothing here to sink your teeth into.

Shatto
11-24-2021, 02:41 PM
Isn't it interesting that an obvious Ti-Cat fan finds the Ti-Cats the most interesting team in the playoffs. No bias there!

Wobbler
11-25-2021, 04:13 PM
No one cares about salary priorities?

Argo57
11-25-2021, 05:00 PM
Isn't it interesting that an obvious Ti-Cat fan finds the Ti-Cats the most interesting team in the playoffs. No bias there!

Go Alouettes!

OV Argo
11-25-2021, 05:26 PM
No one cares about salary priorities?

Actually, i don't care one iota about CFL salaries (that aren't officially published anyways, but are the subject of speculation, rumour and gossip, from some)

I get the notion of need for an $M$, for some sort of competitive balance, but when CFL salaries are so miniscule compared to a lot of other pro sports, it matters little to me - that one guy makes 150K and another gets 100K - big deal. I do, however, get a chuckle out of the usual suspects (conservative "free market" champions and deep thinkers) bemoaning some Canadian players (a few O-Linemen) making more than their poor American counterparts; and when the highest paying jobs (QB), by far, have been reserved for Americans only in this radical league for decades.

jerrym
11-28-2021, 03:39 AM
Actually, i don't care one iota about CFL salaries (that aren't officially published anyways, but are the subject of speculation, rumour and gossip, from some)

I get the notion of need for an $M$, for some sort of competitive balance, but when CFL salaries are so miniscule compared to a lot of other pro sports, it matters little to me - that one guy makes 150K and another gets 100K - big deal. I do, however, get a chuckle out of the usual suspects (conservative "free market" champions and deep thinkers) bemoaning some Canadian players (a few O-Linemen) making more than their poor American counterparts; and when the highest paying jobs (QB), by far, have been reserved for Americans only in this radical league for decades.

I basically agree with you although it makes sense that in a QB-driven league, QBs are the highest paid.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8