PDA

View Full Version : EAST DIVISION FINAL GAME THREAD / Dec 5 / Hamilton @ Toronto

Wobbler
11-28-2021, 11:23 PM
Toronto joins the playoffs for the first time since 2017! It has been a strange season, ending in a late playoff.

- Current long-range weather forecast: 3C, light wind, 17% POP.
- Toronto won the season series 3-1.
- Reports have indicated that Eric Rogers will return to the Argo lineup this week, but the health status of other important players is unknown.

RB957
11-29-2021, 09:02 PM
If the forecast holds out, weather should not be a determining factor.

I like our chances in this game, as I think we match up against the TiCats really well and have proven we can beat them. I think a key to the game will be play of the QB's and our ability to establish a run game against a defence that has played pretty solid. Masoli has been inconsistent all year, so I hope we have the edge there. The play of our O-line will be critical. We need to establish a run game and give MBT time in the pocket as he is not the greatest scrambler. Our biggest advantage is in the kicking game as Boris Bede has been lights out, so if the game is close, that could be the area that wins it for us.

Hoping for a great crowd to cheer on the double blue. Let's go Argos.

AngeloV
11-30-2021, 10:27 AM
I am looking so forward to Sunday. Atmosphere has been great all year despite the small crowds. It is going to be awesome Sunday. Not going to lie, I think Montreal would have been a much easier opponent. Nothing about Trevor Harris in 2021 would have had me worried to face the Als. Hamilton has weapons, and if they put it all together on the same day, anything can happen. Also it would be quite an accomplishment to beat them for the 4th consecutive time. I'll be nervous all game, but hoping the return of Rogers and McCoil and possibly Nicastro will put the Argos in a great position to win.

ArgofanIan
11-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Wish they would bring the Ballard cup to the game on Sunday. Would be nice to get a picture of it if it was on display somewhere.

argotom
11-30-2021, 11:44 AM
I still have not seen any local advertising for the game, has anyone?
Yesterday I spoke to my Argo rep and he said the calls were heavy with sales for half the day at over 2000.
A huge crowd is expected in the 20,000-21,000 range.
Wouldn't that be nice, especially to all naysayers.

ArgoGabe22
11-30-2021, 12:00 PM
Are they still capping it at 15k?

argotom
11-30-2021, 12:30 PM
Are they still capping it at 15k?

No, the stadium will be fully open.

AngeloV
11-30-2021, 12:41 PM
No, the stadium will be fully open.

not according to the TM map. looks like upper east side is not available at this time, so looking likely at 18k capacity as it was for the 2019 season.

ArgofanIan
11-30-2021, 12:52 PM
I don't trust ticket master.... but if the game was near sold out ... its too bad they couldn't open up the first 20 rows in the upper east stadium. A league like ours can't afford to turn any one away.... I suspect MLSE would be reluctant due to costs but maybe the league could help ... would be nice if demand was that high... Go ARRGOS !!!

AngeloV
11-30-2021, 01:25 PM
I don't trust ticket master.... but if the game was near sold out ... its too bad they couldn't open up the first 20 rows in the upper east stadium. A league like ours can't afford to turn any one away.... I suspect MLSE would be reluctant due to costs but maybe the league could help ... would be nice if demand was that high... Go ARRGOS !!!

I agree. Even paper the house if you have to. Worst case scenario, free tickets, you still sell beer and hot dogs. Better to make some money than none, and if you gear the freebies towards kids (kind of contradicts my beer sales statement), then you could be helping to build a base for the future.

Argonut1996
11-30-2021, 03:30 PM
I agree. Even paper the house if you have to. Worst case scenario, free tickets, you still sell beer and hot dogs. Better to make some money than none, and if you gear the freebies towards kids (kind of contradicts my beer sales statement), then you could be helping to build a base for the future.

Looks like Ticketmaster just opened up seats on the upper deck.

AngeloV
11-30-2021, 04:46 PM
Looks like Ticketmaster just opened up seats on the upper deck.

Not so sure about that. Just went on the site, and looks like they are selling all sections in the lower east side only right now. It's so messed up. TM seems to change every hour. I don't know if there is a perceived strategy behind this, but I think it stinks. Someone might go looking for tickets on the west side, and see they are not available and never go back to the site should they open another lot of tickets.

Mightygoose
11-30-2021, 04:52 PM
Not so sure about that. Just went on the site, and looks like they are selling all sections in the lower east side only right now.

Looks like they just removed them about 5 minutes ago.

I think there was a pricing error (all seats we're 86.50...from mid field to behind the goal line), so they need to fix it

RB957
11-30-2021, 05:15 PM
I still have not seen any local advertising for the game, has anyone?
Yesterday I spoke to my Argo rep and he said the calls were heavy with sales for half the day at over 2000.
A huge crowd is expected in the 20,000-21,000 range.
Wouldn't that be nice, especially to all naysayers.

How many will be wearing black and gold, I wonder?? It will suck if they can even begin to drown out the home crowd. Hope that is not the case.

RB957
11-30-2021, 05:18 PM
I am looking so forward to Sunday. Atmosphere has been great all year despite the small crowds. It is going to be awesome Sunday. Not going to lie, I think Montreal would have been a much easier opponent. Nothing about Trevor Harris in 2021 would have had me worried to face the Als. Hamilton has weapons, and if they put it all together on the same day, anything can happen. Also it would be quite an accomplishment to beat them for the 4th consecutive time. I'll be nervous all game, but hoping the return of Rogers and McCoil and possibly Nicastro will put the Argos in a great position to win.

They do have weapons and they are coming off a big win under playoff pressure. Argos have not played a meaningful game since November 12th, the last time we beat Hamilton. I really hope that they can shake off any rust in a hurry.

Ryan52
11-30-2021, 06:15 PM

I think there was a pricing error (all seats we're 86.50...from mid field to behind the goal line), so they need to fix itback up, same price

Argo57
11-30-2021, 06:52 PM
How many will be wearing black and gold, I wonder?? It will suck if they can even begin to drown out the home crowd. Hope that is not the case.

My guess, 50% Ticat fans at BMO Sunday.

Argos4Life
11-30-2021, 08:46 PM
I think the prices need to be roughly the same as the other upper deck!
They need to fix this.

ArgoZ
11-30-2021, 09:01 PM
I think the prices need to be roughly the same as the other upper deck!
They need to fix this.

There is a couple corporate promo codes going around for East Side tickets for $25 instead of $90. I bought an extra 2, unfortunately for family members that are Cats fans though. DM me if interested.

OV Argo
11-30-2021, 09:37 PM
My guess, 50% Ticat fans at BMO Sunday.

Which would be a drag; cept they need as many bums in seats as possible - for atmosphere, and optics.

Neely2005
11-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Not so sure about that. Just went on the site, and looks like they are selling all sections in the lower east side only right now. It's so messed up. TM seems to change every hour. I don't know if there is a perceived strategy behind this, but I think it stinks. Someone might go looking for tickets on the west side, and see they are not available and never go back to the site should they open another lot of tickets.

The Argonauts put out a post saying that they've opened ticket sales in the Upper East Stands.

Neely2005
11-30-2021, 09:40 PM

I think there was a pricing error (all seats we're 86.50...from mid field to behind the goal line), so they need to fix it

That seems to be the price. Those tickets are in the first few rows of the Upper East Stands. I'm fine with them charging Hamilton fans that price. 🙂

ArgoRavi
12-01-2021, 01:19 AM
TFC drew half the crowds the Argos drew this season but I believe the entire stadium was open for their games once the restrictions were removed.

Scooter McCray
12-01-2021, 10:31 AM
Does anyone believe they should be charging $86.50? MLSE have done nothing to create awareness, brand, sense of excitement, create a fanbase, etc.....Yet they charge that. They need to create demand first. They have owned this team for years now, and have no strategy. Yet when,they say they need to sell the team because there is no interest "journalists" will write....if MLSE can't make the Argos work, nobody can. I call BS. They haven't tried

argotom
12-01-2021, 04:38 PM
Does anyone believe they should be charging $86.50? MLSE have done nothing to create awareness, brand, sense of excitement, create a fanbase, etc.....Yet they charge that. They need to create demand first. They have owned this team for years now, and have no strategy. Yet when,they say they need to sell the team because there is no interest "journalists" will write....if MLSE can't make the Argos work, nobody can. I call BS. They haven't tried

Agreed.
Like I previously stated, however unless I am missing it, there has been nothing on local radio, tv or social media sites for the big game from MLSE?
When you consider how small the actual ticket department for the team, involving 2 dedicated reps that I know of, you would think this is yet another example of keeping the product and team down several notches on the bottom rung?

Shipyard
12-01-2021, 07:09 PM

I wouldn’t pay 86 for upper deck. This is spot on.

AngeloV
12-01-2021, 07:16 PM
Agreed.
Like I previously stated, however unless I am missing it, there has been nothing on local radio, tv or social media sites for the big game from MLSE?
When you consider how small the actual ticket department for the team, involving 2 dedicated reps that I know of, you would think this is yet another example of keeping the product and team down several notches on the bottom rung?

Pinball was on SC with Jay Onrrait Monday. I haven’t listened to Toronto sports radio this week, but I would be surprised if they didn’t at least have some segments on the morning show or Matt Cauz’s early afternoon show

Will
12-01-2021, 07:36 PM
Henoc Muamba was on TSN1050 this morning.

Wobbler
12-01-2021, 08:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFjc9K8XIAMnh9H?format=jpg&name=medium

Looks like McCoil is coming off the 6 game early (he was added on Nov 5).

OV Argo
12-01-2021, 08:30 PM
Any chance Charleston Hughes gets the nod at DE ?

AngeloV
12-01-2021, 08:34 PM
Any chance Charleston Hughes gets the nod at DE ?

I wouldn't think so, but who knows? Feeney has been better than him and is a killer on kick coverage.

ArgofanIan
12-01-2021, 08:58 PM
I was able to get a couple upper deck tickets at significant discount. Just mentioned I was season ticket holder when I called in to ARGO's and was no issues. Season tickets are a good deal if you donate or buy extra tickets during the year IMO.

Those seats in the first 5 rows in the upper deck might be the best seats in the stadium so I have no issue with the cost, but I have always thought there should be sections of low cost seats in all CFL stadiums so any fan can attend.

This should be a great game and atmosphere this Sunday. Hope people will try to make it out. Lets go ARRRGOS !!!!!

OV Argo
12-01-2021, 09:17 PM
Ticats D: D-half Ciante Evans (very good DB talent IMO) was knocked out of the semi vs. the Als - and replaced by Tunde Adeleke, with rookie Katsantonis (impressive young safety talent - good tackler and had a nice pick that game) going in at safety; Evans was listed as limited for practice this week (quad injury), so i wonder if he can't go, would they use Adeleke there or bring in a new import to play D-half? Adeleke is IMO a real good DB talent and he did play D-half quite a bit at Carleton i believe, but still not experienced in the Ticat D there; regardless, if Evans can't go, maybe a spot the Argos can exploit with their passing game ?

paulwoods13
12-02-2021, 08:06 AM
With Boateng out, Hagerty not practising is very concerning. We might have no backup NAT DBs, which would force an adjustment in how we use the designated INTs.

AngeloV
12-02-2021, 01:01 PM
With Boateng out, Hagerty not practising is very concerning. We might have no backup NAT DBs, which would force an adjustment in how we use the designated INTs.

Strange. Argos had signed Dondre Wright towards the end of October, but he was added to and then removed from the suspended list. I guess Tiggie Sankoh being a Global player would be the guy to fill in at DB if needed in a back up role. Wright has been a pretty good player in this league even starting some with Montreal in the past.

paulwoods13
12-02-2021, 01:59 PM
Strange. Argos had signed Dondre Wright towards the end of October, but he was added to and then removed from the suspended list. I guess Tiggie Sankoh being a Global player would be the guy to fill in at DB if needed in a back up role. Wright has been a pretty good player in this league even starting some with Montreal in the past.

I also suppose they could move McCoil or Edwards back to DB if an injury struck. Let's hope everyone is healthy enough to play heading into Sunday, and stays that way through the game. I would bet Hagerty will be in the lineup, but pretty confident Boateng is done for the year.

dmont
12-04-2021, 11:03 AM
Depth chart has martez Ivey starting at RT.

https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/1467161796016578561?t=3gl_tLepdmqWvupSgOwlbg&s=19

We're screwed.

paulwoods13
12-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Ivey made one hellacious block in the Edmonton game and seems like a better choice to replace Tate than Coleman, who looked awful in that game. But this will be a trial by fire for him.

Losing both Hagerty and Boateng really hurts as it forces us to dress an extra INT at DB (Decoud) and lose Feeney from ST and d-line rotation. We really need Ray, Law and Smith to have big games at DE.

I guess if McCoil flunks either of his last two tests, either Feeney or Tuggle will replace him. If Richards ends up out, we can move Collins to halfback and start Decoud, with Daniel next man up, I guess. Let's hope MBT, McCoil and Richards are all able to go.

paulwoods13
12-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Hamilton is dressing a single backup o-lineman, and their starting centre Darius Ciraco has been reported to be iffy for several weeks. Big risk there. I would never dress just six o-linemen on a roster of 44. (In fact, I would never dress six on a roster of 37.)

OV Argo
12-04-2021, 12:41 PM
Hamilton is dressing a single backup o-lineman, and their starting centre Darius Ciraco has been reported to be iffy for several weeks. Big risk there. I would never dress just six o-linemen on a roster of 44. (In fact, I would never dress six on a roster of 37.)

The Riders have been doing this all season Paul; I totally agree - risky / dumb; and we've seen the in-game injury situation to O-linemen this season (the Als had several in one game and ended up deploying a D-Lineman for a bit); I never like to see injuries to any players, but it would really teach a team a big lesson if they had 2 in-game injuries to starting O_linemen and only one back-up dressed - especially in a do or die play-off game.

With Hagerty out, Argos have signed (just this week?) former Stamps Canadian DB Adam Thibault - who hasn't played since 2018 (but was a good ST tackler for the Stamps); I guess a Murphy connection ? And hopefully Decoud is a starter - better DB over Richards IMO. Mid season rookie pick-up - DT Ben Marion is dressing; i guess Junior Turner is injured or nicked or something ? - otherwise I do not get why Marion would be in over him.

ArgoRavi
12-04-2021, 12:42 PM
Who will be scratched tomorrow, assuming all COVID tests come back negative? Decoud, who didn't practise yesterday?

paulwoods13
12-04-2021, 02:13 PM
The Riders have been doing this all season Paul; I totally agree - risky / dumb; and we've seen the in-game injury situation to O-linemen this season (the Als had several in one game and ended up deploying a D-Lineman for a bit); I never like to see injuries to any players, but it would really teach a team a big lesson if they had 2 in-game injuries to starting O_linemen and only one back-up dressed - especially in a do or die play-off game.

With Hagerty out, Argos have signed (just this week?) former Stamps Canadian DB Adam Thibault - who hasn't played since 2018 (but was a good ST tackler for the Stamps); I guess a Murphy connection ? And hopefully Decoud is a starter - better DB over Richards IMO. Mid season rookie pick-up - DT Ben Marion is dressing; i guess Junior Turner is injured or nicked or something ? - otherwise I do not get why Marion would be in over him.

IMO Marion looked pretty good in the home games he played. I'm guessing they are going with the healthiest player in this case. If Decoud is healthy and in the lineup, I too would start him at CB and move Collins into Richards' spot.

ArgofanIan
12-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Tail gate is packed....great day for CFL.

ArgoRavi
12-05-2021, 12:10 PM
Decoud is indeed the scratch for the Argos today. Watford is scratched for the Ticats.

OV Argo
12-05-2021, 12:15 PM
Decoud is indeed the scratch for the Argos today. Watford is scratched for the Ticats.

Unless he is nicked, not sure i get Decoud not playing ?

Golden Fleece
12-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Sad I can't make it today (family reasons). Make some extra noise for me.

jerrym
12-05-2021, 01:35 PM
Great game both ways but Argos seem more fired up especially MBT, who often takes sometime to get going. I think the potential Covid suspension got him angry and even more motivated. Glad to see Foster being used in the run game and doing well because the Als failure to do so cost them dearly in the end as Hamilton simply went after Harris all the time.

Mocha
12-05-2021, 02:15 PM
I hope our failure to get any TDs won't come back to haunt us.

Looks like a great atmosphere. If only they could draw 20,000 on a regular basis.

Mocha
12-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Damn. I knew not getting at least on TD would come back to haunt us.

jerrym
12-05-2021, 03:24 PM
I don't agree with not going for the TD at the 11 because there is so little time left.

jerrym
12-05-2021, 03:28 PM
As usual too many undisciplined penalties on both sides when these teams bang heads.

jerrym
12-05-2021, 03:31 PM
The turning point was when Evans entered the game, followed by White's return TD, but when you lose the second half 27-7, there is no true turning point. You just got beat. A sad, sad ending to what was a good season up to this game.

jerrym
12-05-2021, 03:34 PM
Geez, I knew that Evans was playing very well but I didn't realize he went 16/16 for 249 yards. I have to salute his play.

Will
12-05-2021, 03:35 PM
Tired of Argos never being able to rise to occasion in important games with Hamilton.

jerrym
12-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Best thing about the game was the 21,492 in attendance while Covid and especially Omicron still are active even if many of them were Tiger Cats fans. Sad the Argos couldn't deliver for by far the largest crowd of the season when building the fan base is so critical for this team long-term.

OV Argo
12-05-2021, 03:42 PM
Wow - did they ever blow an easily win-able game.

The D was useless in the 2nd half (and this is on that genius in his own mind ego-Jones IMO) - Evans goes 16 for 16 passing ??? And Jackson rips off a bunch of runs right up the middle; on the first Ticat offensive TD - pass to Acklin - the Argos had 8 players up in the box, on the line of scrimmage = WTF ???

Coulda/shoulda went for getting a TD when they were in close early; but the D, along with the big punt return, cost this game, IMO.

ArgoRavi
12-05-2021, 03:44 PM
Frustrated with this loss but this season was an overall success after 8-28 the past two seasons. I don't want to hear any complaints about MBT today. They didn't lose because of him.

This is going to be the last gasp for a lot of these Ticats - the likes of Brandon Banks, Simoni Lawrence, Chris Van Zeyl and Ted Laurent aren't getting any younger.

For the Argos, they need to get a bit better but I just want to see them contend year in and year out. I can't take another year like 2016, 2018 or 2019 anytime soon.

jerrym
12-05-2021, 03:46 PM
I still feel that Brescacin was interfered with in the end zone on the challenge play, but it seems that the league is increasingly ruling against nearly all challenges as so few challenges made by every team go the way of the coach compared to earlier years.

Stevoman
12-05-2021, 03:50 PM
Very hard to win when you don't get touchdowns.

Disappointed with how they lost this game but thankful for a meaningful season and the opportunity to see them play for the right to be in the championship.

Sure wish they'd have been able to capitalize on the opportunities given, not only in the game but with regards to recognition in the city.

OV Argo
12-05-2021, 03:54 PM
Shaq Richardson being careless with the ball on that fumble return late in the 1st half took at least 3 or maybe a possible 7 off the board.

And the Argos OTs are not near good enough in pass pro IMO; JGared Davis & Howsare owned them.

ArgoRavi
12-05-2021, 04:00 PM
I still feel that Brescacin was interfered with in the end zone on the challenge play, but it seems that the league is increasingly ruling against nearly all challenges as so few challenges made by every team go the way of the coach compared to earlier years.

Interference or not, MBT threw some nice deep balls today that his receivers - notably Brescasin - had a chance at. They just couldn't come down with any of those balls.

Wobbler
12-05-2021, 04:13 PM
Frustrated with this loss but this season was an overall success after 8-28 the past two seasons. I don't want to hear any complaints about MBT today. They didn't lose because of him.
I think I've read more posts complaining about complaining about MBT this year than actual complaints. I agree - he was solid.

argosrule2415
12-05-2021, 04:28 PM
Frustrating game. Hate losing to those guys. I don't know, I feel like we were pressing the issue after the Ti-Cats tied the game by throwing deep balls right off the bat and abandoning the run even though the game was tied. Obviously the 3s instead of TDs early in the game came back to bite us.

Also late in the game, when there was like 2 minutes left. I feel like we should have just kicked the field goal first when there was enough time in the game to give them the ball and stop them so that we could get another shot at hitting the endzone, instead of having to go for an onside kick since we ended up kicking the FG much later in the game anyways.

TheHammer
12-05-2021, 04:32 PM

This is going to be the last gasp for a lot of these Ticats - the likes of Brandon Banks, Simoni Lawrence, Chris Van Zeyl and Ted Laurent aren't getting any younger.

For the Argos, they need to get a bit better but I just want to see them contend year in and year out. I can't take another year like 2016, 2018 or 2019 anytime soon.
I agree that Banks, Van Zeyl and Laurent are in the twilight of their careers, but not Lawrence. He's at the top of his game right now (although he didn't do much today).

ArgoGabe22
12-05-2021, 05:02 PM
I'm not even sure what DPI is anymore. I'm not convinced that challenge was DPI, but there were some others where I thought it was (at least live with naked eye). On any other day, that would have been called a late hit late in the game. Gittens, IIRC, was already out after getting dragged out and another defender went helmet to helmet, regardless if he did or not, was definitely late.

HOWEVER, you can't win on FGs alone.

Mocha
12-05-2021, 05:23 PM
The turning point was when Evans entered the game, followed by White's return TD, but when you lose the second half 27-7, there is no true turning point. You just got beat. A sad, sad ending to what was a good season up to this game.

Yup, though in retrospect I might argue about the early goal-line FGs instead of trying fo third-down TDs were turning points.

ArgoRavi
12-05-2021, 05:24 PM
Yup, though in retrospect I might argue about the early goal-line FGs instead of trying fo third-down TDs were turning points.

I thought that Pipkin could have been used more near the goal line in the first quarter.

Mocha
12-05-2021, 05:25 PM
I agree that Banks, Van Zeyl and Laurent are in the twilight of their careers, but not Lawrence. He's at the top of his game right now (although he didn't do much today).

Sometimes dominant players like Lawrence don't make big impact on the stats sheets, but they influence the game by detering the opposition from running plays in their direction. That might be the case for today's game. Without Lawrence in the lineup, I think the game goes quite differently.

Mocha
12-05-2021, 05:27 PM
I think I've read more posts complaining about complaining about MBT this year than actual complaints. I agree - he was solid.

Not sure whether or not this post is complaining about the complaints about the complaints about MBT . . . but the bottom line for me s that he didn't get the job done. I agree he didn't look terrible. But he didn't look exceptional either.

TheHammer
12-05-2021, 05:35 PM
Sometimes dominant players like Lawrence don't make big impact on the stats sheets, but they influence the game by detering the opposition from running plays in their direction. That might be the case for today's game. Without Lawrence in the lineup, I think the game goes quite differently.

Oh, I totally agree. He definitely had an impact, at the very least for his leadership. I just meant he was not a contributor to any of the big plays.

DanTheFan
12-05-2021, 05:39 PM
I'll take this season overall as my first as a season seat holder. Not the ending I wanted, far from it, but first place in the division was nice.

As for this game, great decision to use Evans for the bulk of the game. He was carving us up rather well, and didn't even realize how well as he made all his completions. And I didn't like the decision to kick the field goal after their last drive. I suppose they would have tried an onside kick even if they got the touchdown, but I felt a TD would have perhaps energized the guys more at that point in time.

I saw talk of MBT shoving a cameraman or something, but I just got home and never saw it happen. Brutal conclusion to a bad week for the guy if it was all that bad.

Wobbler
12-05-2021, 05:50 PM
. . . but the bottom line for me s that he didn't get the job done. I agree he didn't look terrible. But he didn't look exceptional either.
The team didn't get the job done. If the Argos needed an exceptional performance from MBT to win this game then by definition they were probably going to lose.

jerrym
12-05-2021, 06:53 PM
Interference or not, MBT threw some nice deep balls today that his receivers - notably Brescasin - had a chance at. They just couldn't come down with any of those balls.

The utter look of complete disbelief by MBT when the ruling the non-call stands says a lot about the ruling on the challenge.

Antwon
12-05-2021, 07:11 PM
The utter look of complete disbelief by MBT when the ruling the non-call stands says a lot about the ruling on the challenge.

Utter look of disbelief is the look I had with MBT's last two pass attempts!

argolio
12-05-2021, 07:27 PM
Disappointed but not disillusioned. Make similar progress next year and the Cup will be ours.

Also, many Ticat fans are missing multiple teeth.

Wobbler
12-05-2021, 07:35 PM
I'll be cheering for Dane Evans next week. That move to extract the ball from Richardson during his INT return was *ridiculous*.

AngeloV
12-05-2021, 07:47 PM
I chalk this loss up to rookie head coach mistakes. Play calling on 1st and goal has been a problem all season. Running straight up the middle on first down both times was a huge mistake. You need to throw on first down in that situation.
I knew the game was over after the punt return TD. Complete momentum changer. Collins got caught inside when he was on contain. That is a bad mistake. I don’t believe Ti-Cats would have scored if that never happened.
All in all, as much as this loss hurts, I am happy with this season. I had a great time at every game this year. A far cry from 2018 and 19.
I hope MBT is back next year with a hopefully healthy O-line. I’d like to see the Argos get a power running back to split time with Foster. A thunder and lightning type of combination. Looking forward to the release of the 2022 schedule and hoping for an early June start to the season and it’s hopefully an early November Grey Cup

AngeloV
12-05-2021, 07:54 PM
I'll be cheering for Dane Evans next week. That move to extract the ball from Richardson during his INT return was *ridiculous*.

You should be stripped of your membership for this post.

ArgofanIan
12-05-2021, 08:41 PM
Shout out to the guys that organized the tail gate. Lots of people having a great time is what our team needs. it looked amazing.

I thought when it started snowing in early third quarter it would be destiny for us but it was not to be. Great atmosphere at the game.

Really nice to see people in 2nd deck east side. So was some positives today.

Will
12-05-2021, 08:44 PM
Very disappointing end to the season. The Argos relying too much on Boris Bede caught up to them.

I like D.J Foster but he isn't a feature back -- no idea if having White in the lineup would've made a difference though.

RB957
12-05-2021, 09:01 PM
I chalk this loss up to rookie head coach mistakes. Play calling on 1st and goal has been a problem all season. Running straight up the middle on first down both times was a huge mistake. You need to throw on first down in that situation.

I knew the game was over after the punt return TD. Complete momentum changer. Collins got caught inside when he was on contain. That is a bad mistake. I don’t believe Ti-Cats would have scored if that never happened.

All in all, as much as this loss hurts, I am happy with this season. I had a great time at every game this year. A far cry from 2018 and 19.

I hope MBT is back next year with a hopefully healthy O-line. I’d like to see the Argos get a power running back to split time with Foster. A thunder and lightning type of combination. Looking forward to the release of the 2022 schedule and hoping for an early June start to the season and it’s hopefully an early November Grey Cup

I agree with everything you've said. My son and I argued about it at the game... do you go for it on 3rd and goal or kick? Play it safe and take the points or take the risk? Like Craig Dickinson said in an interview last week, coach's job is to win in the playoffs. Was Dinwiddie so concerned about getting some points on the board. Does something like that filter down like you don't believe your guys can do it? I hope that Dinwiddie reflects on this season, both the highs and the lows, and learns from it.

Besides the punt return TD, the fake field goal hurt as us as well, keeping that drive alive. In the circumstances, with a struggling kicker, that might have been something they should have expected and had we had a turnover on downs, it could have shifted the momentum back in our favour.

I was surprised it took the TiCats this long before giving Evans the chance to play, as Masoli has been very inconsistent, but you have to give Steinauer credit for pulling the trigger when he did. It changed the game, and shows impact of coaching decisions on the outcome, to Angelo's first point.

As far as commenting on MBT... I have been one of those who have been critical of him at different times this season. Not today. He did everything that he could have and played a solid game.

Overall, I hated that we lost at home to the Tiger Cats, I hated to have to hear that awful Oskee Weewee echoing through BMO, but this year was SO much better than the last two seasons, I can't wait for next season. And I can't wait to watch all those Hamiltion fans leave dejected next week when they lose to the Blue Bombers.

RB957
12-05-2021, 09:05 PM
Tired of Argos never being able to rise to occasion in important games with Hamilton.

(sigh) Yes. Blessing for me is I drove down to the game, so was spared being packed on the GO train with their fans for the trip home. Small consolation, but you take what you can get.

RB957
12-05-2021, 09:09 PM

That call could have gone either way.... my first reaction, seeing it live and then on the jumbotron, was a no-call. Let them play football. But I agree that MBT threw some nice long balls with good touch, one of which Brescasin could have caught later in the game for a TD. Didn't happen. That's the game of football.

ArgoGabe22
12-05-2021, 09:11 PM
I never understood why teams never attempt the dribbler onside kick instead of the 99.9% failure rate of the high kicks.

Argo57
12-05-2021, 09:11 PM
Very disappointing game today, the win was there for the taking.
As mentioned by others play calling when in scoring position has been way too predictable and conservative all season long, sadly today was no different.
Argos dominated the first half and were only ahead 12-0 which didn’t bode well, field goals instead of TD’s won’t suffice.
You could feel the game slip away when Hamilton scored on the punt return.
Hopefully the Argos retain a large portion of the roster and start to build some continuity heading into 2022, 1 year contracts will make this very difficult which isn’t good for the league IMO.
Dinwiddie had some ups and downs this season which is part of maturing has a HC.
Wonder if Chris Jones returns, I suspect he won’t be.
Sadly we now have plenty of time to speculate in regards to the 2022 season.

RB957
12-05-2021, 09:15 PM
Best thing about the game was the 21,492 in attendance while Covid and especially Omicron still are active even if many of them were Tiger Cats fans.

The atmosphere was awesome... fantastic entertainment, and you could get a ticket to today's game, and have something to eat and a cold beer for less than $100. What a value proposition!! It boggles my mind that BMO is not filled for every game.

ArgoRavi
12-05-2021, 10:21 PM

Lol! Evans made an alert play but Richardson was holding the ball like a loaf of bread.

ArgoRavi
12-05-2021, 10:24 PM
It seemed like the worst thing that could happen all season to the Argos was being first and goal from inside the five. Always seemed like an adventure this season and was a problem today.

Will
12-05-2021, 10:41 PM
(sigh) Yes. Blessing for me is I drove down to the game, so was spared being packed on the GO train with their fans for the trip home. Small consolation, but you take what you can get.

I guess I should qualify this statement a bit -- yes the Argos won in 2004 and 2010 in the semi and did win last Labour Day game at IWS but they lost 2013 EF, 2015 ESF and 2021 EF. They won the game a few weeks ago, but lot the bigger game today.

Shatto
12-05-2021, 11:45 PM
There were several disappointing aspects to the game-- the inability of the offense to score when inside the 5 yd line--giving up the TD punt return--the D not able to shut down the Ti-Cats in the 2nd half---the inability of the offense to score a TD.

The D has not looked that good, since the team let D coaching staff go for vaccination reasons.

There were times in the game that the QB and receivers looked they they hadn't practiced together this week-----Oh right, they hadn't.

Stevoman
12-06-2021, 12:07 AM
Disappointed to see the footage of Chris Edwards hitting a fan. I know Ticats fans are classless but I don't think I can cheer for Edwards again and would be good with him gone (despite how good he is on the field). You can never act like that. He was also giving the finger to fans before the game started and captured on TSN.

I turned off the game during the final 30 secs and missed MBT pushing a cameraman. That can't happen either (no matter how much it sucks to have cameras in your face after a loss). He also should've been made available for the post game press conference.

ArgoRavi
12-06-2021, 12:11 AM
Disappointed to see the footage of Chris Edwards hitting a fan. I know Ticats fans are classless but I don't think I can cheer for Edwards again and would be good with him gone (despite how good he is on the field). You can never act like that. He was also giving the finger to fans before the game started and captured on TSN.

I turned off the game during the final 30 secs and missed MBT pushing a cameraman. That can't happen either (no matter how much it sucks to have cameras in your face after a loss). He also should've been made available for the post game press conference.

Edwards has a temper that he needs to get control over but the Ticats fan allegedly spit on him which started the incident. You can see some footage here:https://twitter.com/ticatsroar/status/1467691967643590665?t=ogtuhLVFrRRBtlJdU60ZZA&s=19

jerrym
12-06-2021, 01:17 AM
Edwards lives on the edge on and off the field. He needs to be told he's on probation next year because, although he one of the most talented DBs and can sometimes up teammates games with his play, when players like that are allowed to keep doing their thing it always ends up badly both for them and the team. If he screws up again cut him before the damage gets worse.

paulwoods13
12-06-2021, 08:41 AM
A few thoughts while I continue to process this result:

You can't come away with just six points from two trips inside the five-yard line. We absolutely should have gone for it at least once.

The defence was clearly confounded by Evans and Condell in the second half, but it's worth noting that they were on a streak of having allowed just two TDs in 10 quarters at thw start of the second half. Jones was doing something right with the group, but whatever he was doing did not work in the second half.

I counted four or five 50/50 passes, none of which we came down with. A couple of them should have been called for either interference or roughness (head shots) but regardless, the receivers have to catch at last some of those passes.

Injuries are an underrated factor in this loss IMO. The o-line was considerably weaker with Richards and Ivey than with Nicastro and Campbell. And perhaps more importantly, Campbell's injury forced us to use an INT at RT, which is probably why Feeney was not in the lineup yesterday. He alone might have made a difference on that punt return. And both Hagerty and Boateng were also regulars on specials who were not available yesterday.

Still, we are ahead of schedule. I would not have believed before the season that we would win nine games and finish in first place. The challenge now is to build on this and take the next steps next season. Fortunately, many of our best newcomers this year are true first-year CFLers so if Murphy did his job properly, all of them should be heading into their option year rather than free agency.

Hamilton celebrated as if they won the Grey Cup yesterday. Many of their players (especially CVZ) acted without a hint of class. Karma's a bitch. I hope they get absolutely pounded in front of their home fans.

RB957
12-06-2021, 10:49 AM
Hamilton celebrated as if they won the Grey Cup yesterday. Many of their players (especially CVZ) acted without a hint of class. Karma's a bitch. I hope they get absolutely pounded in front of their home fans.

Right on. This might as well have been their Grey Cup, because it is all they are going to win. I also believe they will get pounded by the Bombers, and I will be happy to be there to see it.

argotom
12-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Like most have said here, the game was decided in the first half for me.
Not going for at least one of the 3rd and goal was critical.
Continuously running the ball up the middle was another crucial gaff and that was on the coach's overall poor play calling.
In fact, it seems to me how the coach has made more than his fair share of rookie mistakes.
That has to be addressed and frankly for me warrants perhaps even possible replacement.
MBT where do I start, another for me overall sub par performance, as the game stats most definitely would suggest otherwise.
He is nothing more than a pylon in the pocket with the inability to rollout and keep some plays going.
This year I would have kept Arbuckle instead, as for next year I would not bring him back.

paulwoods13
12-06-2021, 03:20 PM
Like most have said here, the game was decided in the first half for me.
Not going for at least one of the 3rd and goal was critical.
Continuously running the ball up the middle was another crucial gaff and that was on the coach's overall poor play calling.
In fact, it seems to me how the coach has made more than his fair share of rookie mistakes.
That has to be addressed and frankly for me warrants perhaps even possible replacement.
MBT where do I start, another for me overall sub par performance, as the game stats most definitely would suggest otherwise.
He is nothing more than a pylon in the pocket with the inability to rollout and keep some plays going.
This year I would have kept Arbuckle instead, as for next year I would not bring him back.

Your dislike of MBT was well known and unsurprising, but fire Dinwiddie? Seriously?

argolio
12-06-2021, 03:45 PM
Clearly MBT should have gone downfield and caught some of his own long passes.

Will
12-06-2021, 03:48 PM

Your point was valid until the bolded part.

argolio
12-06-2021, 04:10 PM
re: the punt return TD

Having not seen a replay, and maybe my eyes fooled me seeing it live, but it looked to me like the Ticats had an extra guy or two on the left side of their line as if to put extra pressure for a punt block, which forced a few of our players to spend more time dealing with that before they could release downfield to cover the kick. I wonder if that screwed up some lane assignments.

argotom
12-06-2021, 04:25 PM
Your dislike of MBT was well known and unsurprising, but fire Dinwiddie? Seriously?

Sure I get your point, but do you get mine?
Numerous mistakes this year, games won from the early Christmas presents by the opposition.
I question his offensive play calling, the lack of second half adjustments and especially yesterday's game.
Way too stubborn to make changes when his QB is not playing well.
None of us are sure what if any dressing room shenanigans involved with the Arbuckle trade etc?
Yes as for MBT, like some here I do not hide my dislike for his performance over the years and how none of us should forget the previous two years of the team's win loss record.
Finally, he is not the prototypical CFL QB that needs to use his wheels to set up the passing and vice versa.

paulwoods13
12-06-2021, 04:26 PM
re: the punt return TD

Having not seen a replay, and maybe my eyes fooled me seeing it live, but it looked to me like the Ticats had an extra guy or two on the left side of their line as if to put extra pressure for a punt block, which forced a few of our players to spend more time dealing with that before they could release downfield to cover the kick. I wonder if that screwed up some lane assignments.

Very possible. Reinebold is incredibly smart so I would not be surprised if he developed such a ruse. I also saw what appeared to be two guys holding Robbie Smith on the return, but that stuff happens all the time. (That said, I am not suggesting the officiating was to blame for the loss, but what the hell are refs looking at when guys get hit in the head and no penalty is called?)

ArgoGabe22
12-06-2021, 04:36 PM
The Official Argo Fan Club on Facebook had a lot commenters than just Tom wanting Dinwiddie gone. Knee jerk reaction after a loss but he's not the only one out there.

paulwoods13
12-06-2021, 04:44 PM
Let's fire any coach who doesn't win the Grey Cup in his first year, or any year for that matter. Winning it all should be the only way to keep your job. Guaranteed to work!

Wobbler
12-06-2021, 04:58 PM
To be clear, I hope that Winnipeg wins. :) But I'll be cheering for Evans to have a great game!

argotom
12-06-2021, 05:30 PM
Let's fire any coach who doesn't win the Grey Cup in his first year, or any year for that matter. Winning it all should be the only way to keep your job. Guaranteed to work!
Boy are you missing the point......not to mention the detailed history outlined.
To think the coach was an actual QB, how he would know the position and the strategic play calling sometimes required?
Maybe you give him another chance in '22??? If so, I would then have him hire an OC who would call his own plays.

AngeloV
12-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Your point was valid until the bolded part.

No part of it was valid. Same useless dribble.

AngeloV
12-06-2021, 06:36 PM
The Official Argo Fan Club on Facebook had a lot commenters than just Tom wanting Dinwiddie gone. Knee jerk reaction after a loss but he's not the only one out there.

Change the coach every year. That'll work. I thought Trestman was supposed to be a God (or was that professor?) among coaches in many of their eyes.

The stupidest comments are made within 24 hours of a tough loss.

AngeloV
12-06-2021, 06:38 PM

Mike O'Shea should have been fired his first year in Winnipeg. He clearly sucked as a coach.

AngeloV
12-06-2021, 06:39 PM
To be clear, I hope that Winnipeg wins. :) But I'll be cheering for Evans to have a great game!

I stand by my comments. F Evans and anyone in the uniform. The whole thing about how great Evans was yesterday makes me sick. I will give him this much credit, he throws a hell of a screen pass.

OV Argo
12-06-2021, 07:54 PM
I'd fire Jarious Jackson right away - totally clueless and predictable IMO - no idea what-so-ever about balance and diversity on offence; he might do fine if he had Doug Flutie at QB, with Terry Greer, Paul Masotti and Pinball as weapons to run standard, same-old offence

And give Dinwiddie into next season - 1st place in the mediocre East this season didn't mean much to me, sorry bout that; but are some saying keep him no matter what ?; even if they go 1 & 7 out the gate with a bunch of embarrassing losses? WTF - Skippy Huard got fired in no time, and I'm sure lots of experts who say give the HC tons of chances were up in arms over that move. Pffft.

ArgofanIan
12-06-2021, 08:25 PM
Ticats were under a ton of pressure. I think if they had lost, likely would have to break up the team and go into rebuilding process. Plus with a loss, and the ARGO's in their home dressing room for the Grey Cup .... Ticats players would likely have left town or would be extremely difficult with the ARGOS playing in Ticat Stadium as the home team ... this is a pretty intense rivalry.

Feel bad for ARGO players but I think we had a good run... we only lost one home game....

I think that Davis guy for the Ticats has been best player of playoffs. That pass he broke up in the end zone and the way he shut down the Montreal Running game was impressive.

For what my opinion is worth.... LOL

argolio
12-06-2021, 11:51 PM
I think that Davis guy for the Ticats has been best player of playoffs. That pass he broke up in the end zone and the way he shut down the Montreal Running game was impressive. Can't disagree. Hoped he'd sign here when he was a free agent, but it was not to be.

Rich
12-07-2021, 12:25 AM
And give Dinwiddie into next season - 1st place in the mediocre East this season didn't mean much to me, sorry bout that; but are some saying keep him no matter what ?.

Ya I’m a little surprised at how much people are willing to write off as a “rookie coach mistake”. I think there are still serious questions about his game management capabilities.

I’m glad we all agree that it was a huge blunder not to go for it at least once inside the five. I mean come on man, biggest home crowd of the year, your defence is stuffing the cats, you’re against the wind and you just marched the ball down the field. Show some faith in your players for fock’s sake.

But Dinwiddie’s been playing it ultra safe all season, and as anyone who’s played anything before knows, you never win consistently when you play it ultra safe.

There was a play later in the game when he did decide to go for it on third and short, and sends out the short yardage team, then suddenly CHANGES HIS MIND and sends out the punt team to replace the short yardage guys. Pretty bad form I’d say. Did he panic or was it a lack of confidence in himself or his team? And also, MBT’s been the holder all year, how many fake field goals did we run? Any?

When you combine his 3rd down timidity with the number of dumb flag challenges he made this year, and with that kneeling near-disaster, I’m left wondering if Dinwiddie really has what it takes to be a successful game manager in the CFL.

argolio
12-07-2021, 12:38 AM
But Dinwiddie’s been playing it ultra safe all season, and as anyone who’s played anything before knows, you never win consistently when you play it ultra safe.Depends how productive you are with those safe plays. The Ticats completed 16 passes in a row with mostly safe passes while we couldn't convert one long pass into a reception. The Patriots won a game tonight throwing it three whole times. They've now won seven in a row.

Antwon
12-07-2021, 09:55 AM
I stand by my comments. F Evans and anyone in the uniform. The whole thing about how great Evans was yesterday makes me sick. I will give him this much credit, he throws a hell of a screen pass.

I don't get your hatred for Evans unless it's because of the uniform he wears. A lot of Cat fans have been calling for him over Masoli the last month. Evans came in and did what he needed to do to win. Maybe all his throws were safe, but he also moved out of the pocket to keep plays going. That's one thing MBT doesn't do well.

AngeloV
12-07-2021, 11:20 AM
I don't get your hatred for Evans unless it's because of the uniform he wears. A lot of Cat fans have been calling for him over Masoli the last month. Evans came in and did what he needed to do to win. Maybe all his throws were safe, but he also moved out of the pocket to keep plays going. That's one thing MBT doesn't do well.

It's definitely the uniform, but I also don't think he's as good as people think he is. He threw nothing but screens and check downs with 2 downfield passes, one to Banks and a TD to Acklin. Most of his check downs resulted in punts as the Argos made the stops short of the first down. Argos were killed by the screen game in reality, and any QB can execute that. Masoli would have been just as successful with the same play calls. They won't score 14 points against the Bombers Sunday.

argotom
12-07-2021, 11:21 AM

I would take Evans in a split second next year.
Does anyone know his contractual status for next year?

OV Argo
12-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Evans was outstanding with poise to go 16 for 16 in a big play-off game and lead his team to a comeback victory. So why didn't Jarious Jackson direct MBT to go 20 for 20 in the 2nd half with plays that worked and gained yardage ?

IMO, Evans could become a CFL best type QB; smart & accurate passing arm, plus some decent mobility. He's still young, pro QB wise.

Maybe the Ticats could game plan a 2 QB attack to be very effective against the Bummers D in the GC (but i doubt they will); I'd have Masoli start the first series and roll out right away with run option - to give the Bummers D lots to think about; then Evans in to run a mostly quick passing game, but throw Masoli back in every now and then. And run the ball plenty with 2 different backs for variety. Evans just sitting in the pocket, behind a not so great (outside of Revenberg) O-Line, is going to get pressured and swarmed by the Bombers front.

AngeloV
12-07-2021, 11:40 AM
Evans was outstanding with poise to go 16 for 16 in a big play-off game and lead his team to a comeback victory. So why didn't Jarious Jackson direct MBT to go 20 for 20 in the 2nd half with plays that worked and gained yardage ?

If you looked at my pre game comments, I suggested the Argos run more receiver screens early in the game. With Rogers Daniels and Brescacin all in the line-up, they had some great blocking receivers. Sure would have been better than trying to run up the middle and putting themselves in 2nd and long. Also, regarding Evans, I sure didn't see the play calling on Hamilton's side running Jackson while Masoli was in the game. They ran a completely different package for Evans. It was good coaching on their part, no doubt. As for Jarius Jackson, he may help with the game plan, but he doesn't call the plays, and this is Dinwiddie's offence. An offence that moved the ball well, had great deep looks which we just didn't catch. My only issue is his play calling inside the 5. I still say you have to throw on first down, especially against that front 7.

cfl-cis fan
12-07-2021, 01:19 PM
If you looked at my pre game comments, I suggested the Argos run more receiver screens early in the game. With Rogers Daniels and Brescacin all in the line-up, they had some great blocking receivers. Sure would have been better than trying to run up the middle and putting themselves in 2nd and long. Also, regarding Evans, I sure didn't see the play calling on Hamilton's side running Jackson while Masoli was in the game. They ran a completely different package for Evans. It was good coaching on their part, no doubt. As for Jarius Jackson, he may help with the game plan, but he doesn't call the plays, and this is Dinwiddie's offence. An offence that moved the ball well, had great deep looks which we just didn't catch. My only issue is his play calling inside the 5. I still say you have to throw on first down, especially against that front 7.

sorry but Jackson has to go along with his side kick OL coach.

AngeloV
12-07-2021, 01:58 PM

I disagree. MacAdoo is the best O-line coach in the league. Played a big part in Richards development this year and Nicastro's as well. I know, I know, you want CIS guys to have their spots.

OV Argo
12-07-2021, 02:02 PM

Exactly; with the hope they hire somebody/anybody to install some diversity and imagination in the offence; same old , standard look CFL offence is so boring AND predictable for defences to deal with.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8