PDA

View Full Version : Veteran wr rambo to meet with argonauts' doctors monday

matchuk
06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Ken-Yon Rambo's next CFL stop could be in Toronto.

One day after being released by the Calgary Stampeders, the veteran receiver, who has been battling injuries, will visit with Argonauts' team doctors on Monday.

Based on the medical reports, the Argonauts will make decisions on what their next move may be.

Rambo could possibly continue his rehabilitation in Toronto and then be added to the Argonauts' roster when he returns to full health.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=399171

matthew
06-25-2012, 03:27 PM
couldn't hurt that is for sure.

mchesher03
06-25-2012, 04:01 PM
i see no downside to this - if he can produce great, if not - no harm. I'm leaning toward the former given his time out in Calgary. After the past few years (esp last year - we can't get enough receiving depth)

1argoholic
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Couldn't hurt is right. I like him and always love watching how hard he plays. He's a tough guy.
Just read some articles and they let him go because of tendinitis in his achilies? Ice ice baby and he'll be running routes for us. I'm dealing with that in my elbow right now. Can be painful but some time off, advil and ice and he'll be good to go.

AngeloV
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I find him to be a bit of a head case. As others have mentioned in another thread, I'd prefer to go after TJ Harris.

OV Argo
06-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I find him to be a bit of a head case. As others have mentioned in another thread, I'd prefer to go after TJ Harris.

Rambo is a big-play guy who has produced for sure in the CFL; he's always had some hands/drops issues IMO, but he can make big plays (sort of like Arland Bruce IMO = should not be your #1 go to receiver - just not good enough hands); worth a shot for sure if he can get healthy.

As for Harris - flashed some CFL talent for sure - but in a limited way; couldn't make the Ticats deep group, but could maybe help the Argos iffy corps; and again - if Rambo has some "head case" issues, i think Harris may be ahead of him in that department.

And air-lifting in all sorts of new guys at the beginning of the season - a bit of a sign of desperation or poor recruting maybe -but if it's because you are decimated by injuries coming out of TC, i guess you might want to go for it; rather see the likes of Bradwell or Watt be given a shot with some real playing time rather than handing playing time to new guys who were not in your TC and might not get the offence.

Fungi
06-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Really??? Unfounded soap opera bull is why you don't want him???
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Longtime+slotback+departure+just+sucks/6834547/story.html

“He was my boy the first time I met him,” Forzani said. “I mean, he’s THE guy that I watch. I have tons of his film stored away on my computer. I have all his stuff. He’s the man, no doubt about that. He’s the best guy when he was healthy, no one would argue that.

But Nik Lewis, for one, believes he has plenty of gas left in his tank.

“I think he’ll be all right,” said Lewis of his good pal. “I don’t think (Rambo’s tendinitis is) anything major, I just think it’s something that’s nagging and with some rest he’ll be fine.
“I talked to him a bit. I think he’ll find work faster than we all think. I still think he has at least two years, maybe three left . . . now, he’s just even more motivated. I’m looking forward to seeing him play.”

Head coach and general manager John Hufnagel stayed patient, knowing Rambo’s contributions and value on the field, but was forced to trim the roster Saturday ahead of the CFL’s deadline.

“Ken-Yon is going to go down as one of the best players ever here in Calgary,” said receivers coach Pete Costanza. “He’s a great guy to be around.

“He was a guy that joked around a lot and had a lot of fun,” Lewis added. “He was a guy that jumped around a lot. When he stepped on the field, you knew he was going to make plays.
“In a crunch, times of need, he made the big catches, he made the big runs . . . he’s a special athlete.”

I'll take him. He doesn't sound all that bad to me.

1argoholic
06-26-2012, 12:15 AM
He's a character just like Lewis and I'd take either. Rambo is a great receiver. Miss seeing the quality vet who can run nice routes and catch.

ArgoGabe22
06-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I thought Jeffers Harris was the one with issues and thats why Winnipeg dumped him because he said/done something in bad taste publicily.

AngeloV
06-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I thought Jeffers Harris was the one with issues and thats why Winnipeg dumped him because he said/done something in bad taste publicily.

You might be right about TJH, but I've always had issues with Rambo and the way he reacts to being tackled. I understand he had a bad knee injury, but I've seen him take a couple of dumb retaliation penalties after being tackled. But as OV said, I would like to see Watt and Bradwell get the opportunity to play over either of the other 2.

jerrym
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Trying out Rambo makes sense but he's at an age where his skills are declining and his likelihood of injury increasing. Even if he stays and has a good year, the Argos should be looking for another number one go-to receiver next year rather than being caught in the Copeland situation for two years where their number one target was okay but never really be a number one or even a number two on most, if not all, other teams.

1argoholic
06-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Oh yah I remember Rambo thinking someone was hitting him low after he just got back from serious knee issues. He was pissed anf took a dumb penalty.

Will
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
I kind of see bringing on Rambo to be similar to the acquisition of Copeland prior to the 2010 season. The difference is that Rambo would have Ricky Ray throwing to him and not Cleo Lemon.

gilthethrill
06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I kind of see bringing on Rambo to be similar to the acquisition of Copeland prior to the 2010 season. The difference is that Rambo would have Ricky Ray throwing to him and not Cleo Lemon.

The fact Rambo would have the benefit of a decent OC to work with should be mentioned.

ArgoGabe22
06-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Word is the doctors are still waiting for the results.

Fungi
06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
The fact Rambo would have the benefit of a decent OC to work with should be mentioned.
Everyone will have a decent OC to work with...

Midnight Blue
06-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Couldn't hurt is right. I like him and always love watching how hard he plays. He's a tough guy.
Just read some articles and they let him go because of tendinitis in his achilies? Ice ice baby and he'll be running routes for us. I'm dealing with that in my elbow right now. Can be painful but some time off, advil and ice and he'll be good to go.

We can always use another receiver (and Beer-Drinking Squirrel -- 1argoholic). This link to an elbow exercise has helped me in the past -- and is good for strengthening in general. I've read that many people swear by it. Now, I'm not a golfer, but I've had some forearm strains in the past (don't ask), and this has helped strengthen my forearm. Perhaps both Rambo and 1argoholic might benefit from it. It couldn't hurt.

Good Luck to you both, and Cheers !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXpMPQ4sNM&feature=player_embedded#!

Stevoman
06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Any update?

gilthethrill
06-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Trying out Rambo makes sense but he's at an age where his skills are declining and his likelihood of injury increasing. Even if he stays and has a good year, the Argos should be looking for another number one go-to receiver next year rather than being caught in the Copeland situation for two years where their number one target was okay but never really be a number one or even a number two on most, if not all, other teams.

Would you agree that Geroy Simon has managed a high level of play after age 33? If healthy I think Rambo can really help.

Fungi
06-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Would you agree that Geroy Simon has managed a high level of play after age 33? If healthy I think Rambo can really help.
Geroy Simon is not anyone else except Geroy Simon. I wouldn't compare any one in our league to him. I've seen him come up with the ball in triple coverage. Rambo wishes he was half as good as this guy. My wife loves this guy, so I know. She's a BC lions fan and bleeds orange.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Geroy+Simon+keeps+building+Lions+legacy/6845296/story.html
One day we can get a management that will keep a great player around until retirement.

KCargosfan
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Geroy Simon is not anyone else except Geroy Simon. I wouldn't compare any one in our league to him. I've seen him come up with the ball in triple coverage. Rambo wishes he was half as good as this guy. My wife loves this guy, so I know. She's a BC lions fan and bleeds orange.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Geroy+Simon+keeps+building+Lions+legacy/6845296/story.html
One day we can get a management that will keep a great player around until retirement.

Agreed, which is why I would rather go after Terrence Jeffers Harris.

1argoholic
06-28-2012, 12:16 AM
That's the crazy thing about sports of today. Just look at Matts Sundin who plays his best hockey in TO and spends his last year doing little in Vancouver. Now he's going in the hall and it'll be all lovey again in TO.

Geroy is my favorite type of receiver. I've always loved the guys like Simon, Mookie and Vaughn. Not very tall but solid and can run terrific routes and flat out catch.

paulwoods13
06-28-2012, 08:12 AM

That would be great, but it happens very, very rarely in the CFL. Pinball was one of those. Compared to most other teams, the Argos have actually had a pretty good track record over the past decade or so for not turning over the roster constantly. Geroy Simon started his career with the Bombers, by the way.

Stevoman
06-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Durie has been with the Argos and only the Argos since 07. In modern sport, that's quite a long time to stay with an original team.

LLB997
06-28-2012, 07:58 PM

I agree, Barker was on with Mike Richards this morn. He addressed his age specifically pointing out Simon and Bruce saying 33 in this league is still a vital age. He also said it was that it is an ongoing recovery, when his tendonitus inflamation subsides then it will be more clear. Barker said Rambo called him after his release and asked to be placed on the PR. Barker said its a low risk move by the club with a huge potential upswing if the recovery is sucessful. Barker was also touting his off field importance saying he is a phenomenal locker room guy. Its a good fit, Kudos to Barker for bringing him aboard.

Fungi
06-28-2012, 08:33 PM
I agree, Barker was on with Mike Richards this morn. He addressed his age specifically pointing out Simon and Bruce saying 33 in this league is still a vital age. He also said it was that it is an ongoing recovery, when his tendonitus inflamation subsides then it will be more clear. Barker said Rambo called him after his release and asked to be placed on the PR. Barker said its a low risk move by the club with a huge potential upswing if the recovery is sucessful. Barker was also touting his off field importance saying he is a phenomenal locker room guy. Its a good fit, Kudos to Barker for bringing him aboard.
I agree with that! If we didn't have anal coaches and fans, we'd still have AB3. His antics were weird to say the least, but he got the Argos onto the front pages. He was a talented receiver, and it's to bad he still isn't wearing the double blue.

paulwoods13
06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
I agree with that! If we didn't have anal coaches and fans, we'd still have AB3. His antics were weird to say the least, but he got the Argos onto the front pages. He was a talented receiver, and it's to bad he still isn't wearing the double blue.

I don't recall any specific occasions where Bruce got the Argos on to the front pages, but I agree his antics were weird to say the least. Do you believe that the fans actually had something to do with him being traded? We have that much power?

Fungi
06-28-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't recall any specific occasions where Bruce got the Argos on to the front pages, but I agree his antics were weird to say the least. Do you believe that the fans actually had something to do with him being traded? We have that much power?
I'm not looking for an argument. I remember the negative waves surrounding him, from all media outlets. I won't cross reference. That's what I remember. That's all! Not much negativity from him from the wet coast. Seems to be ha happy and positive player.

KCargosfan
06-28-2012, 11:16 PM

I was under the impression Adam Rita and Nicholson did whatever the fans wanted, haha.

1argoholic
06-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Watching Bruce's interviews show the guy is still weird but playing with Geroy has helped him at least that's what he said yesterday. The other day in an interview he had a black hat on that just said Greatest. The guy is a character and we haven't had a great receiver since he left.

ArgosRule
06-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I think another receiver should have the hat that says "Greatest"... the one that is about to break a record making him the greatest. hahaha

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Always thought Bruce was a head case and very arrogant, so I'm actually surprised he lasted that long in TO.

Fungi
06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Always thought Bruce was a head case and very arrogant, so I'm actually surprised he lasted that long in TO.
Where else could he have survived, but in TO. I like arrogance sometimes if it's not just BS.
He had palooka's for QB's and one of the worst coaches and OC's in CFL history behind him IMO. Our loss, Lions gain.

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Fungi (http://www.argofans.com/member.php?186-Fungi), Bruce's ego is bigger then the game, and that's why he wore out his welcome in TO, Hamilton and soon in BC, this guy is or was talented, but he is not a team player.

Fungi
06-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Fungi (http://www.argofans.com/member.php?186-Fungi), Bruce's ego is bigger then the game, and that's why he wore out his welcome in TO, Hamilton and soon in BC, this guy is or was talented, but he is not a team player.
Thanks for sending everyone to my bio. page. It`s kind of boring, but I`m glad you thought it was good enough to share. LOL

I think I`ll never even think about AB3 as an Argo, if all goes well this year.

Hollaway
06-30-2012, 06:29 PM
LOL, sorry, I usually copy the usernames, when I do that here it turns it into a hyperlink lol.

Wobbler
07-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Dave Naylor has reported that Rambo will begin running at the end of this week. He (and Scianitti) add that his achilles is still being evaluated.

Rich
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Bruce is generally loved by his teammates wherever he goes, with a few exceptions. His "antics" keep his teammates loose and happy. His work ethic in practice is regarded as second to none, according to Dave Naylor. We are still paying for the incompetence of a rookie coach who didn't know how to handle this odd cat who also happened to be the team's best player. And Bruce still remains the best Argonauts receiver since Mookie Mitchell.

Will
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Bruce is generally loved by his teammates wherever he goes, with a few exceptions. His "antics" keep his teammates loose and happy. His work ethic in practice is regarded as second to none, according to Dave Naylor. We are still paying for the incompetence of a rookie coach who didn't know how to handle this odd cat who also happened to be the team's best player. And Bruce still remains the best Argonauts receiver since Mookie Mitchell.

How do we explain his departure from Hamilton last year? It was just as sudden as his departure from Toronto. Arland was my favourite player when he was here, and as much as I spit when I hear the name Bart Andrus *spit* he (Bruce) had to have rubbed someone the wrong way in Hamilton the wrong way as well.

1argoholic
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
So Argofan87 judging by your last line you really feel he's developed into a the wrong way kind of player. haha. Just having fun as it's usually me who screws up his posts, his posts, his posts. hahaha.

Midnight Blue
07-06-2012, 12:00 AM
So Argofan87 judging by your last line you really feel he's developed into a the wrong way kind of player. haha. Just having fun as it's usually me who screws up his posts, his posts, his posts. hahaha.

This is just a general progress report.

Do not try to read into this at home.

Everything is going well.

Thank you.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8