PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Draft

paulwoods13
01-13-2022, 11:49 AM
There doesn't seem to be a thread about this yet, and it is months away, but since draft spec is now starting, seems like a good time to thread it.

Here's Marshall Ferguson's top 10 at this point:

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/13/look-top-10-prospects-scouting-bureau/

Some tantalizing prospects. Barring a trade, we could get two of these guys with our own pick (No. 6) and Edmonton's (No. 10). Not sure whom I'd like -- the two Fords is a very enticing idea. So are Fry and McKnight. Or if we get Richards, we can corner the market on guys with that last name.

paulwoods13
01-13-2022, 11:54 AM
Interesting, BTW, that Nos. 1, 3, 5 and 8 from the fall edition are out of the top 20 altogether.

OV Argo
01-13-2022, 02:17 PM
Interesting, BTW, that Nos. 1, 3, 5 and 8 from the fall edition are out of the top 20 altogether.

The 2 big NCAA O-linemen (Bull & Sow - hee, hee, hogs on the farm) have deferred, but luckily there is a deep crop of U Sports all-star O-Linemen to help compensate; also, 2 NCAA DB/safeties (Brown & Sutherland) have deferred, but again, a good crop of other DBs are up.

I like Marshall Ferguson's enthusiasm for the CFL and really liked him when he got to do some CFL PBP on TSN; but some of his comments on the CFL site continue to be baffling or show a lack of understanding of the league and specific teams. Does he really think the RedBlacks are going to feature 2 Canadian inside LBs - if they get to draft Luketa, and last draft's pick Stevens shows up ? And does he not get that a Canadian QB from U Sports ball being on the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 list was rendered laughable or irrelevant with Adam Sinagra totally snubbed the last CFL draft? - is he afraid to mention or discuss that fact ?

I'd like to see the Argos go after an area of need, and not sure O-Line is that with all the Canadian guys they still have at the position (plus previous draft choices who could still show up perhaps); same deal for receiver where they are loaded with Canadians. But it is an interesting and deep draft class IMO at safety and DE, and getting a guy at both positions could help in competition & depth to team with Robbie Smith & Hagerty.

ArgoGabe22
01-13-2022, 02:23 PM
I want Tre Ford. Just as the #3 QB, which is practically like being on the PR. Would love to have him replace Pipkin and be used as a runner and possibly develop him as a passer.

j-ski
01-13-2022, 05:22 PM
I wonder if this guy is any good and deserves to be in the top 20? He thinks he might be NFL draftable.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/02/canadian-rb-daniel-adeboboye-declares-for-nfl-cfl-drafts/

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/08/daniel-adeboboye/ (https://3downnation.com/2022/01/02/canadian-rb-daniel-adeboboye-declares-for-nfl-cfl-drafts/)

OV Argo
01-13-2022, 05:51 PM
I wonder if this guy is any good and deserves to be in the top 20? He thinks he might be NFL draftable.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/02/canadian-rb-daniel-adeboboye-declares-for-nfl-cfl-drafts/

(https://3downnation.com/2022/01/02/canadian-rb-daniel-adeboboye-declares-for-nfl-cfl-drafts/)https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/08/daniel-adeboboye/

The Elks drafted a RB out of a smaller US program last year, and he did not make the team. Best RB in this draft class? - maybe i guess, but what Machart accomplished with the Sask Huskies should not be ignored.

Hodge comes up with some questionable stuff at 3 Down

CrazyCanuck89
01-14-2022, 10:29 AM
The 2 big NCAA O-linemen (Bull & Sow - hee, hee, hogs on the farm) have deferred, but luckily there is a deep crop of U Sports all-star O-Linemen to help compensate; also, 2 NCAA DB/safeties (Brown & Sutherland) have deferred, but again, a good crop of other DBs are up.

I like Marshall Ferguson's enthusiasm for the CFL and really liked him when he got to do some CFL PBP on TSN; but some of his comments on the CFL site continue to be baffling or show a lack of understanding of the league and specific teams. Does he really think the RedBlacks are going to feature 2 Canadian inside LBs - if they get to draft Luketa, and last draft's pick Stevens shows up ? And does he not get that a Canadian QB from U Sports ball being on the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 list was rendered laughable or irrelevant with Adam Sinagra totally snubbed the last CFL draft? - is he afraid to mention or discuss that fact ?

I'd like to see the Argos go after an area of need, and not sure O-Line is that with all the Canadian guys they still have at the position (plus previous draft choices who could still show up perhaps); same deal for receiver where they are loaded with Canadians. But it is an interesting and deep draft class IMO at safety and DE, and getting a guy at both positions could help in competition & depth to team with Robbie Smith & Hagerty.

I don't see why the RedBlacks can't have two Canadian LBs. Luketa played all three positions in college. Plus some view Stevens as a DE, due to his size and pass rushing ability.

I think the Redblacks may still look Oline or at one of the Philpot twins.

OV Argo
01-14-2022, 11:26 AM
I don't see why the RedBlacks can't have two Canadian LBs. Luketa played all three positions in college. Plus some view Stevens as a DE, due to his size and pass rushing ability.

I think the Redblacks may still look Oline or at one of the Philpot twins.

Sure they could have as many Canadian LBs or defensive players as they want; but (and maybe I'm interpreting wrong), Ferguson seemed to be saying Luketa, Stevens, Adddae and former top pick Adam Auclair could be all be playing on the RedBlacks D, if they had them? Luketa at MLB, Stevens at DE (or they could swap them back & forth)., Addae takes over for Pruneau at safety; Auclair gets to play either OLB spot ? More like on the roster, cause I just don't see LaPolice playing that many Canadians on defence. They had last season, Americans Avery Williams at MLB (pretty good player, just not top tier in the league at the position), and the mediocre, couldn't stick on 3 other CFL teams, Micah Awe at W-OLB - these guys would be way favored over any Canadians likely.

j-ski
01-17-2022, 09:16 AM
2021 NCAA Offensive All-Canadians:

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/17/abbotts-2021-ncaa-all-canadians-offence/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=abbotts-2021-ncaa-all-canadians-offence

j-ski
01-18-2022, 09:49 AM
2021 NCAA Defensive All Canadians

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/18/abbotts-2021-ncaa-all-canadians-defence/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=abbotts-2021-ncaa-all-canadians-defence

AngeloV
02-14-2022, 03:32 PM
If there is a bright spot to Losing the Eastern final, the Argos moved up 2 spots in the draft and now pick 6th overall instead of 8th. So they will now draft 6 and 10 with the acquisition of Edmonton pick 10.

Will
02-14-2022, 03:45 PM
I may be an encyclopedia when it comes to Canadian football, but one area I'm sorely lacking in is the draft.

OV Argo
02-14-2022, 06:04 PM
The players in Abbott's 3 Down articles (NCAA all-Canadians) that j-ski linked are not all CFL draftable this year - they are just a list of the top US college ball Canadians regardless of year or eligibility down there.

In addition to #s 6 & 10 overall, the Argos also pick again at #15; so 3 of the top 15 picks in a draft is sitting pretty nice.

Not sure who / what positions the team will be looking at ? This current Argo team has lots of Canadian talent - both vets and young prospects; always nice to add more talent though. This team could probably easily start 11 Nationals; but we shall see.

OV Argo
03-08-2022, 08:24 PM
John Hodge has posted his mock draft (1st two rounds) over at 3 Down.

Has the Argos taking DB Ty Ford first, followed by his brother Tre (QB) and then RB Daniel Adeboboye (Bryant - US college ball).

Pretty far fetched IMO, but you never know with the CFL draft.

paulwoods13
03-09-2022, 09:12 AM
Getting the two Fords seems eminently possible, based on their rankings, and it seems like the kind of move Pinball would like to make. Fingers crossed.

gilthethrill
03-09-2022, 04:16 PM
John Hodge has posted his mock draft (1st two rounds) over at 3 Down.

Has the Argos taking DB Ty Ford first, followed by his brother Tre (QB) and then RB Daniel Adeboboye (Bryant - US college ball).

Pretty far fetched IMO, but you never know with the CFL draft.

The Argos need depth at Canadian DB. Colquhoun went down with a serious injury leaving the team with only Boatang and Hagerty. Drafting Ty at #6 could easily happen. Would love to see Tre come to T.O. as well to be developed at QB.

Sorry OV I forgot about Royce Mentchie.

OV Argo
03-09-2022, 07:37 PM
The Argos need depth at Canadian DB. Colquhoun went down with a serious injury leaving the team with only Boatang and Hagerty. Drafting Ty at #6 could easily happen. Would love to see Tre come to T.O. as well to be developed at QB.

Sorry OV I forgot about Royce Mentchie.

Sound likes the Fords are both outstanding players (plus athletes - sprinters in U Sports); I just don't see the Argos using their 2 top picks on them (especially on a QB who will likely get zero real shot to compete there - even though it is a big area of need); but maybe they see them as special athletes too good to pass up; and it could be some sort of marketing thing to have twins from Ontario (Niagra Falls) on the team ? Another thing - the Argos seem so deep in Canadian talent - don't really see a big area of need (maybe DE to team with Robbie Smith, but Vilain might be in the pipeline and Marion can play there as well) = so they can go where-ever this draft with no big concern to fill a position ?

BTW - what is the injury status with Colquhon? - is he due to make a recovery and be in TC to compete? Still think he can be a capable CFL starting CB, but if not, still the depth is needed. Metchie with Hagerty behind him seems pretty good at safety.

Shatto
03-09-2022, 11:07 PM
With the possibility of Colquhoun not returning, the team might want to draft a DB. Tyrell Ford looks like an excellent prospect. At 6' 1" and 194 he has the size to play the game. He has run 6.88 over 60 metres, which is exceptionally fast, especially for an athlete who is not a full time track athlete. It is unlikely but possible he might attract some NFL attention, especially if he runs a really fast 40. If the Argos also draft Tre, he might find it more attractive to sign with the team, than taking a flyer with the NFL.

SkalbaniasGhost
03-10-2022, 01:57 PM
The Fords will both get NFL mini-camp invites at the very least. It would be wiser to draft someone who can be in training camp this year.The NFL min-camp schedule conflicts with CFL start dates.I would rather see Daniel Valente(Western)or Katley Joseph(Maine) selected.

paulwoods13
03-10-2022, 02:47 PM
It would be wiser to draft someone who can be in training camp this year.

That is quite often true, but IMO it is not at the moment. We have enough NAT depth that we can afford to draft "futures" guys. It would be great if either Ford made an NFL team or even a practice roster, but realistically, the chances of that seem pretty low. Whomever drafts them might not get them this year, but by 2023 there's a pretty decent chance of getting them into camp, IMO.

Shatto
03-10-2022, 03:29 PM
If Tre Ford gets an NFL invite, they would be looking to turn him into a receiver, in all likelihood. He might well want to choose the CFL, realizing he would have a much better chance of getting a shot at QB up here. Reminds me of years ago when black QB's had to come to the CFL in order to play QB. Just can't see the NFL giving a U sport QB an opportunity at that position. If he did sign with the Argos, there might be a reasonable chance his brother might join him, given the chance.

There was an group interview recently with QB's Ealey, Allan and Ford. They talked about the difficulties black QB's had in the States back when. One of Ealey or Allan mentioned the present day difficulties Canadian, especially U sport QB's have, in being given a fair shot at the position today. It was a passing remark but it hit home, when I heard the comment. Hopefully, things will change.

paulwoods13
03-10-2022, 03:39 PM
He might well want to choose the CFL, realizing he would have a much better chance of getting a shot at QB up here.

Oh now you have done it. :->

OV Argo
03-10-2022, 04:39 PM
If Tre Ford gets an NFL invite, they would be looking to turn him into a receiver, in all likelihood. He might well want to choose the CFL, realizing he would have a much better chance of getting a shot at QB up here. Reminds me of years ago when black QB's had to come to the CFL in order to play QB. Just can't see the NFL giving a U sport QB an opportunity at that position. If he did sign with the Argos, there might be a reasonable chance his brother might join him, given the chance.

There was an group interview recently with QB's Ealey, Allan and Ford. They talked about the difficulties black QB's had in the States back when. One of Ealey or Allan mentioned the present day difficulties Canadian, especially U sport QB's have, in being given a fair shot at the position today. It was a passing remark but it hit home, when I heard the comment. Hopefully, things will change.

Hopefully, but when ?

Many CFL moons ago, Canadian QB Bob Torrance was given a shot with the Ticats, to replace American starter Don McPherson (can't recall if it was due to injury or the fact that McPherson was terrible (41% completion % & 6 TDs to 21 INTs on the season) ); and McPherson commented on how Torrance seemed to be facing the same kind of bias or pressure that African American QBs faced from the NFL. That was 1993. Good for Chuck & Damon speaking up recently, but it's been decades and same old CFL on this file.

The NFL has changed to allow more black QBs to get chances, and to look at smaller, athletic QBs (who might have only been given a CFL look back when) - guys like Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray have excelled in the NFL. So, actually, Tre Ford might have as good a hope as getting an NFL look at QB IF a team recognized him as a fast, athletic QB but also one with a good passing arm (typically the NFL's standard opinion of Canadian trained players is ultra condescending - "raw" is often trotted out - but maybe some minds are changing down there?)

When is the CFL going to "change" ? Ever heard of Adam Sinagra from long ago (last year's draft) ? ;o)

Argo57
03-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Hopefully, but when ?

Many CFL moons ago, Canadian QB Bob Torrance was given a shot with the Ticats, to replace American starter Don McPherson (can't recall if it was due to injury or the fact that McPherson was terrible (41% completion % & 6 TDs to 21 INTs on the season) ); and McPherson commented on how Torrance seemed to be facing the same kind of bias or pressure that African American QBs faced from the NFL. That was 1993. Good for Chuck & Damon speaking up recently, but it's been decades and same old CFL on this file.

The NFL has changed to allow more black QBs to get chances, and to look at smaller, athletic QBs (who might have only been given a CFL look back when) - guys like Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray have excelled in the NFL. So, actually, Tre Ford might have as good a hope as getting an NFL look at QB IF a team recognized him as a fast, athletic QB but also one with a good passing arm (typically the NFL's standard opinion of Canadian trained players is ultra condescending - "raw" is often trotted out - but maybe some minds are changing down there?)

When is the CFL going to "change" ? Ever heard of Adam Sinagra from long ago (last year's draft) ? ;o)

Haven't heard of Adam Sinagra but his great grandpa Frank was a hell of a singer.😁

OV Argo
03-10-2022, 05:33 PM
Haven't heard of Adam Sinagra but his great grandpa Frank was a hell of a singer.

A huge majority of CFL fans likely never heard of Tre Ford either; but maybe some are fans of his guitar playing Aunt Lita ?

Argo57
03-19-2022, 12:11 PM
I wonder if the Ford brothers drop in the draft due to potential interest down south after both posting impressive results in Buffalo?

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/17/canadian-qb-tre-ford-runs-4-45-forty-yard-dash-at-buffalo-pro-day-drawing-nfl-attention/

j-ski
03-19-2022, 08:10 PM
I wonder if the Ford brothers drop in the draft due to potential interest down south after both posting impressive results in Buffalo?

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/17/canadian-qb-tre-ford-runs-4-45-forty-yard-dash-at-buffalo-pro-day-drawing-nfl-attention/

I don't think it will effect his CFL draft position. The odds of him sticking in the NFL are pretty low.

OV Argo
03-19-2022, 09:16 PM
I don't think it will effect his CFL draft position. The odds of him sticking in the NFL are pretty low.

Perhaps; but not so sure about that. An NFL team who wants a mobile QB as even a change of pace or for certain packages or the odd wildcat type play might take a liking to Ford's skill set. Chris Strevler has made it and played down there. Might be a different story if he was just a running QB in U Sports ball, but hardly the case - his passing stats were excellent overall and his 2018 season was off the charts outstanding for passing in Canadian college ball.

Even an NFL mini camp invite is a foot in the door and who knows. A CFL team will perhaps think twice about drafting him if he gets an NFL call. Not that he was going to be a high CFL draft pick anyhow, IMO. Rather see him get an NFL shot than treated like an "athlete" with no real shot at QB by the typical CFL deep thinkers.

jerrym
03-22-2022, 01:04 AM
Love to see Tre Ford get a meaningful shot, preferably with the Argos obviously, but with any team if necessary.

OV Argo
03-23-2022, 08:23 PM
Love to see Tre Ford get a meaningful shot, preferably with the Argos obviously, but with any team if necessary.

There are several teams that IMO have serious need for QB competition for TC - Argos for sure, Bombers, Ticats

I remain very skeptical that Ford will get a meaningful CFL shot, but we shall see; and if he gets any sort of NFL call, likely will not be going to a CFL TC.

Shatto
03-28-2022, 11:39 PM
Now the combine is over, the attention, naturally will be on the upcoming draft. The Argos are in the fortunate position of having excellent Canadian depth both in quality and quantity. There are some areas that might need some attention, however. Having the 6th, 10th and 16th selections should enable the team to add appropriate talent

DB-if Colquhoun doesn't return, the team could use some additional talent at DB. Tyrell Ford with his outstanding speed, showed very well in the combine and looked very good in the one on ones.

RB-with Harris at RB the team might want to have a Canadian backup on the roster. Machart shows some excellent quickness but IMO a better choice would be Adeboboye, who has the strength, size and speed to complement Harris. The one problem could be his performance at the combine, might mean he will go before the Argos have a chance to select him.

OL-the team already have some excellent backups, who will be anxious the fight for a starting role (Richards/Churchill/Giffen/Lawrence/Zamora) but a team can never have too many good OL men. They might be able to steal, probably the best pound for pound OL player in the draft, in Rodeem Brown. At a shade over 6' and 280 lbs, teams might be hesitant to use a first 3 round selection to pick him. He might fool them all and eventually end up being an all star performer.

Anyway just a few thoughts about the draft.

j-ski
03-29-2022, 07:20 AM
The good news for CFL fans is that I think some good CFL potential players will not be going to NFL camps because of their combine numbers.

I don't think the Philpots, Dionte Knight or Zack Fry will get NFL looks.

I think the Ford brothers, Noah Zerr and Tyrell Richards will still get NFL looks.

OV Argo
03-31-2022, 01:15 PM
Argo draft pick - DE Luiji Vilain - puts up an outstanding set of testing #s at a Pro Day - sounds like he is a rising star in NFL draft circles = unlikely to show up for the Argo this TC (and maybe never).

= Argos should IMO think of using their 1st pick on one of the DEs from a very good crop for this CFL draft.

j-ski
04-03-2022, 01:57 PM
Mock draft:

https://www.cfperspective.com/podcast/episode/3ef4d9cc/all-canadian-post-combine-mock-draft

j-ski
04-04-2022, 05:23 PM
Mock Draft from CFPerspective:

https://twitter.com/CFPerspective/status/1510992921293725700

OV Argo
04-05-2022, 07:02 PM
Argos sitting nice this draft with 3 of the top 15 picks (#s 6, 10, 15); and for a team that seems pretty deep in Canadian talent / depth already.

The status of a couple of top previous picks (Vilain & Doxtater) might be a factor in thinking here.

Can address several position areas if need be; and if Vilain & Doxtater are no shows, can go to those positions again.

Assuming they both draw some sort of NFL look (decent bet i think) - like to see the Argos go DE, safety and O-Line with those top 3 picks (and in that order- and good crop at both DE & safety in this draft (IMO), gives plenty of options).

OV Argo
04-07-2022, 09:52 PM
Apparently, the new, ongoing CFL CBA talks are including a proposal that 3 veteran import players now can be classified as Nationals.

CFL teams would then only be saddled with having to go with just 4 Canadian starters. Not surprising the CFL roster pendulum keeps swinging that way - CFLPA now features a majority of American players, and only natural they would stick up for their guys; with CFL owners and GM types in full support it would seem.

Maybe the CFL draft could be reduced by a few rounds ?

The influx of talent and the level of play will jump fantastically of course = should lead to much bigger attendance and TV #s. Will there still be "ratio problems" and "ratio breakers" though ?

j-ski
04-08-2022, 01:49 PM
Apparently, the new, ongoing CFL CBA talks are including a proposal that 3 veteran import players now can be classified as Nationals.

CFL teams would then only be saddled with having to go with just 4 Canadian starters. Not surprising the CFL roster pendulum keeps swinging that way - CFLPA now features a majority of American players, and only natural they would stick up for their guys; with CFL owners and GM types in full support it would seem.

Maybe the CFL draft could be reduced by a few rounds ?

The influx of talent and the level of play will jump fantastically of course = should lead to much bigger attendance and TV #s. Will there still be "ratio problems" and "ratio breakers" though ?

I really wish I could start a new Canadian only league. A place where U Sports QBs could play after University. The CFL just seems to get more anti-Canadian each year.

OV Argo
04-08-2022, 02:46 PM
I really wish I could start a new Canadian only league. A place where U Sports QBs could play after University. The CFL just seems to get more anti-Canadian each year.

Yeah; I think we've talked about that before - a real Canadian pro league; not gonna happen though - unless a billionaire all of a sudden is keen on the idea (a big Canadian football fan winning the 70 mil in Lotto Max is probably not enough); or, unless, the CFL's continued Americans first ways continue (getting worse all the time and 4 downs and other $uck-ups to American football may be next/soon) and possibly provides the spark - somehow/somewhere - there are smaller pro leagues for other sports.

Dare to dream; start with a 6 team loop - teams in Moncton, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston & London; get Via Rail as the main sponsor and try to encourage fan / tourist travel to the games. All coaches & players must have played in the Canadian football system before. 12 game season - weekends only - June to August with play-offs in Sept. Would really need a game of the week televised to get some attention/prestige, and that might be very tough to make happen ?

jerrym
04-08-2022, 05:07 PM
Tre Ford has already been contacted by 24 NFL teams. Time for the CFL to wake up to Canadian QB talent.

Shatto
04-08-2022, 10:49 PM
I could live with a maximum of 3 American veteran players being designated as Nationals but only under certain conditions:
.player has been with present team for the past 3 years or in the league for the past 5 years
.the number of starting Canadians remains the same
.the number of Canadian players on the roster is increased by 2

The increase in Canadian players could be balance by eliminating the Global players thus keeping the total roster number the same

OV Argo
04-09-2022, 10:04 AM
I could live with a maximum of 3 American veteran players being designated as Nationals but only under certain conditions:
.player has been with present team for the past 3 years or in the league for the past 5 years

The increase in Canadian players could be balance by eliminating the Global players thus keeping the total roster number the same

??? - ok, but very doubtful that is going to happen. The whole GOB point here is that American players are automatically superior (and of course easier to find) and we need more of them to make the CFL better; so, my guess is what they will hope for - the # of "Canadians" does remain the same, but now 3 vet Americans count as Canadians; i.e. replace 3 / the real affect is more Americans allowed on the rosters.

j-ski
04-12-2022, 12:40 PM
Mock Draft by Marshall Ferguson:

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/04/12/mock-1-0-what-will-edmonton-do-with-the-first-overall-pick/

AngeloV
04-12-2022, 01:37 PM

I would like to see them keep the 7 "actual" Nationals at a minimum. The best scenario is to have 10 combined National starters with a minimum of 7 being actual Nationals + up to 3 naturalized Nationals. If you have 0 naturalized, then you must start 1o actual Nationals, but like OV, I don't see that happening. Sounds like the league wants to have the naturalized ones count as part of the 7 starters instead of in addition to. PA will not go for that, so my guess is we have status quo.

jerrym
04-15-2022, 05:09 AM
For me to accept the 3 designated American nationals, the seven Canadians must still be starters, the designated nationals must have played five years and have contributed to Canadian society outside of playing on the field (obviously the rules governing that would have to be worked out, but basically for me it would more than showing up for TC playing through the season and disappearing into the woodwork or America with no significant effort beyond the field would not be considered a designated candidate).

Mocha
04-15-2022, 08:15 AM
I'll add my voice to those who support the naturalized Canadians only if the 7 "real" Canadian starters remain. Bump the ratio up to 10 and allow up to 3 naturalized. For me, I'd go with the qualification of naturaliziation being after completion of 3 full years of service for one team. If the player decides to sign for another team, he loses the naturalized status, no matter how long he's been in the league.

AngeloV
04-16-2022, 11:58 AM
I'll add my voice to those who support the naturalized Canadians only if the 7 "real" Canadian starters remain. Bump the ratio up to 10 and allow up to 3 naturalized. For me, I'd go with the qualification of naturaliziation being after completion of 3 full years of service for one team. If the player decides to sign for another team, he loses the naturalized status, no matter how long he's been in the league.

I agree with this, To me the goal from adding naturalized nationals is to stop the year after year roster turnover we now see. Roster turnover in the CFL is a bigger problem than it is in other leagues IMO because in other leagues, turnover usually comes from within the league so at least fans already know all the new players joining their teams. In the CFL a lot of the roster turnover comes from the fact that you can get cheaper players that have never been in the CFL. To me that makes it even tougher for the casual fan to identify with the rosters.

Skinny G
04-16-2022, 03:03 PM
I put the below in the CFL Screwing the Canadian QB thread... but works here too. Also, agree with those on the idea of 10 Canadians (min 7 True Canadians, and max 3 Naturalized Canadians), and as part of that, split the ratio between offence and defence.

Ambrosie is now known as a walking contradiction. Agree with all of you, commenting how good the Canadian talent is, with increasing numbers playing in US Colleges and also ending up in the NFL, yet the talent is too shallow for the CFL? Add to that, Ambrosie's clear inability to understand how numbers and scales work. Comparing the USports football system to that in the US is like comparing grapes to watermelons. You can't make the comparison without putting them on the same scale, but he often has a way with his creative accounting, so this is not surprising.

Whether grassroots participation is at a similar level or slight increase, it's really not that hard to help support the growth and help the league as well. As Jim Mullin has said in the past:

- Schools that can't afford any football program, support the creation/development of flag or touch football
- Schools that have lower populations or funding will need to consider the 6 on 6 football
- Schools that do have a full tackle, support them as well and get your team branding out in the community

More and more teams are working to help programs with both player and coaching development. We see this with the Argos, Lions, Elks, RedBlacks, Als.

Look at the CEBL roster rules - 10 players on roster, min 7 Canadians, with min 2 on the floor at all times. Morreale clearly says "CEBL is a Canadian league, made for Canadian players". And look at their growth. On the other hand, the CFL can't seem to recognize that it's not a bad thing to have Canadians, and just can't get out of it's own way.

Honestly, the longer Ambrosie is still here, you can't just enjoy the league. There is always something that makes us start to consider cancelling our seasons tickets. Cancelling Canadians out of the CANADIAN Football League, will definitely nudge us to cancelling ours.

Shatto
04-16-2022, 03:46 PM
Where is Ambrosie coming from? He pushed for the rather unsuccessful Global program at an unstated cost. He pushed to join up with an off-failed US spring league. He wavered on the change from 3 to 4 downs. Now it seems, he wants to reduce the number of Canadians playing in the league.

Why not cancel the questionable global project and put the money into helping grassroots Canadian football--or is that too simple--or too Canadian?

Argo57
04-16-2022, 03:54 PM
Where is Ambrosie coming from? He pushed for the rather unsuccessful Global program at an unstated cost. He pushed to join up with an off-failed US spring league. He wavered on the change from 3 to 4 downs. Now it seems, he wants to reduce the number of Canadians playing in the league.

Why not cancel the questionable global project and put the money into helping grassroots Canadian football--or is that too simple--or too Canadian?

Ambrosie is a clown and a total failure, should have been shown the door a long time ago.
I suspect he has a bright future in politics.

jerrym
04-16-2022, 10:23 PM
If the Canadians are so useless, why bother having a draft -just let any team sign any Canadian they want since, the subtext of the CFL brass and ownership message is they don't impact the game much, and have a draft of the Americans, the centrepieces of the CFL braintrust? After all, they are the ones who can move a team up in the standings. :p

jerrym
04-17-2022, 11:43 PM
The third ranked prospect on the CFL Scouting Bureau's January rankings, Enock Makonzo, who played for Coastal Carolina, has said he will forgo his last year of eligibility and turn pro, likely moving him up in the draft.

OV Argo
04-29-2022, 08:28 PM
Very disappointing to hear RB Adam Machart (Sask. Huskies) has decided to quit football, and let the CFL draft board know. I thought he had the skills to be a starting CFL RB, perhaps, if given a shot.

Mocha
04-29-2022, 09:57 PM
Very disappointing to hear RB Adam Machart (Sask. Huskies) has decided to quit football, and let the CFL draft board know. I thought he had the skills to be a starting CFL RB, perhaps, if given a shot.

That is a shame. He was one of the few players I actually got to watch a fair bit of in USports last season, which had me curious to see him at the next level. I wonder what prompted this decision.

OV Argo
04-30-2022, 07:21 PM
Vilain & Doxtator not NFL drafted = potential good Argo news

gilthethrill
04-30-2022, 07:50 PM
Vilain & Doxtator not NFL drafted = potential good Argo news

Vilian did sign with Minnesota as an UDFA however. No word on Doxtator as of yet.

Correction Doxtator has signed a contract with the New Orleans franchise of the NFL.

paulwoods13
05-01-2022, 07:55 AM
We won't see Vilain or Doxtator this year, I'd say. Good luck to both of them.

OV Argo
05-01-2022, 09:33 PM
We won't see Vilain or Doxtator this year, I'd say. Good luck to both of them.

The Saints used a 1st rounder on an OT

The Vikings used a 5th rounder on a DE

I'd bet Vilain (who had a break-out year last season in US college ball, plus put up some very impressive Combine testing #s), has a much better chance of sticking in the NFL = Argos should think of going DE with their 1st pick this draft, from a good crop to choose from; another NI DE to team with Robbie Smith and the possibility of one DE spot being a full time National position would be nice, IMO. Mind you, if the new CBA sees 3 more veteran import players qualifying as Nationals (and they let them replace 3 starting Canadians) = that could change GOB thinking quite a bit, including for the upcoming draft.

Shatto
05-02-2022, 12:09 AM
Doxtator may be in tough as the Saints signed 4 OL undrafted free agents as well as a 1st rounder.

Argo57
05-02-2022, 07:34 AM
The signing of UDFA players in the NFL ahead of the CFL draft really kills a lot of the interest in the upcoming draft which sucks.
Top Canadian prospects can bounce from practice roster to practice roster and still make much more $$ than starting in the CFL.

paulwoods13
05-02-2022, 09:43 AM
IMO almost any player who signs as a UDFA can reasonably expect to make a practice roster somewhere. They won't all achieve that, but they will all have reasonably realistic expectations of achieving it. If you make it as far as the main camp, you're gonna be looking for a PR job somewhere if you don't make the main roster. On the other hand, guys who get "only" an invitation to rookie mini-camp are real longshots and there's a decent chance we will see them up here this year.

gilthethrill
05-02-2022, 10:39 AM
The signing of UDFA players in the NFL ahead of the CFL draft really kills a lot of the interest in the upcoming draft which sucks.
Top Canadian prospects can bounce from practice roster to practice roster and still make much more $$ than starting in the CFL.

With NFL teams being able to carry up to 16 players on the PR (a bit excessive IMO) thats a lot of players unavailable. Argo draft pick Ryan Hunter might make a million in his career with very very limited game action.

paulwoods13
05-02-2022, 10:56 AM
With NFL teams being able to carry up to 16 players on the PR (a bit excessive IMO) thats a lot of players unavailable. Argo draft pick Ryan Hunter might make a million in his career with very very limited game action.

Which is why almost any guy with even a slim chance of making a PR will wait around for that opportunity rather than come north. It's a sad reality that some of the best Canadian talent will never set foot on a CFL field yet will see limited or no action in the NFL, while still making good coin.

SkalbaniasGhost
05-02-2022, 03:32 PM
With NFL teams being able to carry up to 16 players on the PR (a bit excessive IMO) thats a lot of players unavailable.
You are going to see those NFL roster sizes(Active/Practice) get even bigger in the next 24 months. Demaurice Smith's term as head of the NFLPA expires after the Super Bowl in February. The NFL wants to go to an 18 game regular season and Smith has been the biggest obstacle to making that happen.

Argo57
05-02-2022, 05:21 PM
Which is why almost any guy with even a slim chance of making a PR will wait around for that opportunity rather than come north. It's a sad reality that some of the best Canadian talent will never set foot on a CFL field yet will see limited or no action in the NFL, while still making good coin.

I do not blame them at all, good money without all of the physical wear and tear.

Shatto
05-02-2022, 11:17 PM
Before we get too downhearted about players being signed as Undrafted Free Agents, it is interesting to note that within the present Argo roster (American players) 10 were drafted by NFL teams and 33 were originally signed as UDFA players. Sometimes a team has to play the long game.

OV Argo
05-03-2022, 08:57 PM
Argos take O-lineman Gregor MacKellar (StFX) with their 1st pick - massive lineman (sizes listed so far on the CFL site for draft picks are wrong and do not reflect the measurements from the Combine = talk about incompetence ?) and an AUS all-star at OT.

jerrym
05-03-2022, 09:01 PM
MacKellar is a big guy ranked #19 in the Scouting Bureau rankings and also had a couple of years training with Div I Rice University so hopefully that helped sharpen his skills.

OV Argo
05-03-2022, 09:31 PM
2nd pick = Dionte Knight - if he shows up - love this pick - guy who can probably play reps at both DE & DT

jerrym
05-03-2022, 09:42 PM
DL Knight won the J. P. Metra Trophy as the Most Outstanding Lineman in USports football last year, making him a great pickup at #10 overall, but he has NFL rookie invites with Washington and Tampa Bay, so the question is when might we see him.

Mightygoose
05-03-2022, 09:48 PM
Knight is also part of the return in the Arbuckle trade. Could end up very well for us in hindsight

OV Argo
05-03-2022, 10:00 PM
RB Adeboboye next - nice pick IMO - understudy to Harris and a big strong guy who might do well on STs.

jerrym
05-03-2022, 10:09 PM
Adding Canadian RB depth in Adeboboye, who had a 4.7 yard rushing average in the NEC Bryant Bulldogs and also played on special teams, is important in helping maintain the Canadian ratio.

Mocha
05-03-2022, 10:15 PM
Adding Canadian RB depth in Adeboboye, who had a 4.7 yard rushing average in the NEC Bryant Bulldogs and also played on special teams, is important in helping maintain the Canadian ratio.

It's also a bonus that he was born in Toronto. I haven't read anything about how long he lived there or if he still has family there. Anyone know?

OV Argo
05-03-2022, 11:47 PM
Disappointing and some reach late round picks IMO; like the first few though.

jerrym
05-04-2022, 12:51 AM
LB Enoch Penney-Laryea, draft pick #26, had great numbers at the Combine raising his draft status and has experience at LB, RB and DE. Probably a STer.

jerrym
05-04-2022, 12:53 AM
OL Brandon Noll is going back to Wilfrid Laurier, so is a long-term development project.

ArgoRavi
05-04-2022, 01:28 AM
DL Knight won the J. P. Metra Trophy as the Most Outstanding Lineman in USports football last year, making him a great pickup at #10 overall, but he has NFL rookie invites with Washington and Tampa Bay, so the question is when might we see him.

Most who get mini-camp invitations won't get an NFL contract so chances are much better that he will end up in Toronto in a few weeks. Of course, it's not a sure thing.

Argo57
05-04-2022, 07:31 AM
Argos seemed to do well in the draft last night, admittedly I am basing my opinion on the analysis of the TSN panel.
My winner of the night was Marshall Ferguson who I thought was outstanding on the panel, quite apparent he knows what he is talking about and articulates his thoughts very well and would be a fantastic addition to the game day panel when not working in the booth.

paulwoods13
05-04-2022, 07:56 AM
In Magri we trust.

If there is one thing we've learned the last few years, it's that Vince Magri knows how to draft. Look at the evidence:

2019: Richards, Smith, Boateng and Gittens are still with the team, O'Connor and Simba are still in the league. Gittens is entrenched as a starter and potential star, and both Richards and Smith are capable of starting.

2020: All seven players we drafted are still with the club; six of them dressed regularly last year; one (Acheampong) is starter-calibre for sure; one (Baker) went back to school but will be in camp.

2021: Four guys are still with the club, including one starter (Nicastro who was Eastern rookie of the year). The other three picks are all good enough to be with NFL teams at the moment -- if any of them ever get up here, 2021 will be a hugely successful draft.

Given this evidence, I'm happy to predict that we will look back on 2022 as another strong infusion of NAT talent. If Magri thinks MacKellar is the second-best o-lineman in the draft, that's good enough for me. Knight and Adeboboye look like superb additions, Penney-Laryea and Noll have impressive credentials, and I won't be surprised if one or two of the later picks hang around for a few years.

paulwoods13
05-04-2022, 07:57 AM
Argos seemed to do well in the draft last night, admittedly I am basing my opinion on the analysis of the TSN panel.
My winner of the night was Marshall Ferguson who I thought was outstanding on the panel, quite apparent he knows what he is talking about and articulates his thoughts very well and would be a fantastic addition to the game day panel when not working in the booth.

I think Ferguson is going to have a role both in pre-game stuff and doing play-by-play for some games. He has earned it, and looks like the next big football voice in this country.

ArgoZ
05-04-2022, 11:21 AM

He did great and he is really knowledgeable, much more so nowadays compared to even a year ago. Obviously really putting in time and it shows. He deserves a bigger role for sure. One funny thing if anyone was watching the draft online, they accidentally showed a take where Marshall screwed up and they had to record it again. That stuff will come with more experience, but I wonder how many takes they do in a recording. It certainly is not as live as we think it is.

AngeloV
05-04-2022, 11:51 AM
In Magri we trust.

If there is one thing we've learned the last few years, it's that Vince Magri knows how to draft. Look at the evidence:

2019: Richards, Smith, Boateng and Gittens are still with the team, O'Connor and Simba are still in the league. Gittens is entrenched as a starter and potential star, and both Richards and Smith are capable of starting.

2020: All seven players we drafted are still with the club; six of them dressed regularly last year; one (Acheampong) is starter-calibre for sure; one (Baker) went back to school but will be in camp.

2021: Four guys are still with the club, including one starter (Nicastro who was Eastern rookie of the year). The other three picks are all good enough to be with NFL teams at the moment -- if any of them ever get up here, 2021 will be a hugely successful draft.

Given this evidence, I'm happy to predict that we will look back on 2022 as another strong infusion of NAT talent. If Magri thinks MacKellar is the second-best o-lineman in the draft, that's good enough for me. Knight and Adeboboye look like superb additions, Penney-Laryea and Noll have impressive credentials, and I won't be surprised if one or two of the later picks hang around for a few years.

Ben Grant loves the Argos 6th round selection of DB Eric Sutton. Ben knows his football and does his homework, so I am excited to see what Sutton can do in camp. Ben thinks he will be a lock to make the team. He was born in Canada as his father played for the Green Riders, but he grew up and played all his ball in the US.

OV Argo
05-04-2022, 01:09 PM
I like how the Argos addressed a lot of position areas (rather than loading up at one position for the sake of GOB "Canadian depth" - like Ottawa with O-Line or BC drafting 5 D-Linemen last night ). Covered all sorts of spots; I wonder if the very athletic Penney-Laryea might be a good candidate to be a top special teams gunner like Llevi Noel was ?

But with the nice build up of Canadian talent the Argos have, a number of these new guys will be in tough to make the roster, as opposed to a good number sticking from the past few drafts. Still wished they would have went for another safety prospect for TC competition; and IMO there were a few of them still on the board when they chose another LB - Kwamou - or later an H-back type like Arseneau instead (for a very part-time position and where they already have Cross, Pellerin or maybe last year's pick Sam Baker available ?)

BTW - any word on A. Colquhon's injury recovery progress ? Or - the possibility of some of the bunch of retired Canadians from last year - Woodson, Speller, Shortill - maybe returning? - i guess it's getting kinda late for that ?

ArgoGabe22
05-04-2022, 01:33 PM
Ben Grant loves the Argos 6th round selection of DB Eric Sutton. Ben knows his football and does his homework, so I am excited to see what Sutton can do in camp. Ben thinks he will be a lock to make the team. He was born in Canada as his father played for the Green Riders, but he grew up and played all his ball in the US.

Ben said he could even play LB, which is head scratcher for me with him being listed at only 5'9. I think the days of Sam Mills is over.

Argo57
05-04-2022, 02:01 PM
He did great and he is really knowledgeable, much more so nowadays compared to even a year ago. Obviously really putting in time and it shows. He deserves a bigger role for sure. One funny thing if anyone was watching the draft online, they accidentally showed a take where Marshall screwed up and they had to record it again. That stuff will come with more experience, but I wonder how many takes they do in a recording. It certainly is not as live as we think it is.

He has been well versed in regards to the CFL for a long time, I liked his morning show on TSN1150 where he discussed CFL football a lot.
The other thing with him is he played QB for McMaster so he is also good with fine details as to how and why plays are successful.

AngeloV
05-04-2022, 02:42 PM
Ben said he could even play LB, which is head scratcher for me with him being listed at only 5'9. I think the days of Sam Mills is over.

In fairness, he did specifically say SAM, which is a cover guy anyway. He addressed what a good tackler he is in run support too, which is why he thinks he can play SAM or safety.

jerrym
05-04-2022, 03:27 PM
Here's a review of the Argo draft picks:

https://3downnation.com/2022/05/04/western-standout-deionte-knight-one-of-nine-canadians-added-to-argos-roster-in-2022-cfl-draft/

Rich
05-05-2022, 03:14 AM
Taking both the best run-blocker and the best RB in the draft I think says something about the team's commitment to the run game this year. And with the League's Best Back wearing double blue for the first time in 20 years, good lordy I couldn't be more excited about it.

OV Argo
05-05-2022, 09:12 AM
Taking both the best run-blocker and the best RB in the draft I think says something about the team's commitment to the run game this year. And with the League's Best Back wearing double blue for the first time in 20 years, good lordy I couldn't be more excited about it.

Ha, ha Rich - did I miss news of the Argos offensive coaching staff firings and over-haul ?

jerrym
05-15-2022, 10:37 PM
The Argos have signed 8 National draft picks, including #6 overall OL Gregor MacKellar, and 3 Global draft picks.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2022/05/10/argos-sign-eleven-from-2022-cfl-draft-class/

ArgoRavi
05-23-2022, 12:14 AM
Ha, ha Rich - did I miss news of the Argos offensive coaching staff firings and over-haul ?

Their offensive assistants are new this year, including Pete Costanza and Kris Sweet, and I did read the other day that Dinwiddie wants to run the football more.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8