PDA

View Full Version : The New USFL

jerrym
04-15-2022, 01:22 AM
The first player picked in the USFL draft was QB Shea Patterson, who played five games for the Als last year as a backup but had no pass attempts and only 18 yards on 11 carries has signed with the USFL as their first overall pick. His being the USFL's #1 overall pick tells you the league are a long way from even the old USFL, let alone the NFL.

jerrym
04-15-2022, 01:35 AM
Another USFL QB who was Paxton Lynch, a former first round NFL failure, who was the Riders third string QB who was inactive on game days and banned from playing in November because he could no longer fly because as an unvaccinated person he was not allowed to. However, he and Shea Patterson now "tops the list of the USFL's ten most exciting players". This does not inspire great confidence in the USFL becoming a success.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/shea-patterson-paxton-lynch-top-list-of-usfls-10-most-exciting-players

jerrym
04-15-2022, 01:39 AM
Another name familiar name to CFL fans is Mike Reilly, who seems to have coached in every league including the CFL of course, who is the coach of the New Jersey Generals, Trump's old team at least name, but certainly not in talent level. Here is more details on the eight teams.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/usfl-2022-what-to-watch-for-in-four-week-1-matchups

gilthethrill
04-16-2022, 10:46 AM
I am confindent Bart Andrus will become the Philadelphia Stars 2nd all time winningest HC this season behind only Jim Mora.

ArgoRavi
04-16-2022, 11:48 PM
What's the business plan for this league? They had an okay crowd for their opener but the hometown Stallions were playing in that one. Every game will be in Birmingham and I can't see how they will draw well so gate receipts are not likely what they are counting on. Both NBC and FOX are televising games, so kudos for getting on two over-the-air networks, but I doubt that they are getting much, if any, TV revenue at this point. So is the gamble that gambling will be the salvation of this league?

gilthethrill
04-17-2022, 07:53 AM
What's the business plan for this league? They had an okay crowd for their opener but the hometown Stallions were playing in that one. Every game will be in Birmingham and I can't see how they will draw well so gate receipts are not likely what they are counting on. Both NBC and FOX are televising games, so kudos for getting on two over-the-air networks, but I doubt that they are getting much, if any, TV revenue at this point. So is the gamble that gambling will be the salvation of this league?

I thought I read somewhere that by year 3 the plan is to have the 7 visiting teams relocate to their cities.

ArgoRavi
04-17-2022, 11:07 PM
I thought I read somewhere that by year 3 the plan is to have the 7 visiting teams relocate to their cities.

Well, good luck with that plan!

OV Argo
04-18-2022, 10:39 PM
Looked like a "crowd" of about say 2 or 3 dozen at that USFL game I caught a bit of on the weekend.

And the Argos get mocked repeatedly for weak attnendance lately ?

Hey - maybe some CFL brainiac should suggest a merger with the USFL - with Canadian players banned or not invited.

ArgoRavi
04-24-2022, 12:26 AM
Looked like a "crowd" of about say 2 or 3 dozen at that USFL game I caught a bit of on the weekend.

And the Argos get mocked repeatedly for weak attnendance lately ?

Hey - maybe some CFL brainiac should suggest a merger with the USFL - with Canadian players banned or not invited.

Don't give anyone any ideas, OV. I am as frustrated as you are with a lot of the garbage we have heard this off-season.

Our game may need a little tweaking of the rules (e.g., changing the operation of the clock to speed up the tempo and get more plays in, moving the hashmarks) but it certainly doesn't need the overhaul that some have suggested.

gilthethrill
04-25-2022, 10:52 AM
Studying the USFL rosters, I notice that the only team without a former Argo is the Houston Gamblers. The hometown Stallions feature almost Argo LB Nate Holley and former HC Corey Chamblin who is the DB coach.
The Panthers of Michigan have RB Cam Scarlett. New Jersey has on their roster RB Trey Williams who spent a couple weeks on the PR a couple seasons ago and T Terry Poole who the team traded Alden Darby for.
In New Orleans, LB Vonte Diggs is having a huge season thus far. In Pittsburg, the Maulers have P Max Duffy who the Argos drafted in the Global Draft but he never reported.
Philadelphia feature T Blake Camper who tried out last season, and the HC is Bart Andrus who had 3 wins in 2009 with the Argos as HC.
The Tampa Bay Bandits have LB Travis Feeney, who like Vonte Diggs is having a good season thus far too and could have a solid career in the USFL.
If I missed any players please feel to add them.

AngeloV
04-25-2022, 11:27 AM
Studying the USFL rosters, I notice that the only team without a former Argo is the Houston Gamblers. The hometown Stallions feature almost Argo LB Nate Holley and former HC Corey Chamblin who is the DB coach.
The Panthers of Michigan have RB Cam Scarlett. New Jersey has on their roster RB Trey Williams who spent a couple weeks on the PR a couple seasons ago and T Terry Poole who the team traded Alden Darby for.
In New Orleans, LB Vonte Diggs is having a huge season thus far. In Pittsburg, the Maulers have P Max Duffy who the Argos drafted in the Global Draft but he never reported.
Philadelphia feature T Blake Camper who tried out last season, and the HC is Bart Andrus who had 3 wins in 2009 with the Argos as HC.
The Tampa Bay Bandits have LB Travis Feeney, who like Vonte Diggs is having a good season thus far too and could have a solid career in the USFL.

That's more players with Argo connections than I saw in the stands on Saturday for the Maulers/Stars game.

paulwoods13
04-25-2022, 02:39 PM

Interesting assemblage of ex-Argos, thanks for compiling it. It is funny, tho, to read "in New Orleans" and "in Pittsburgh," since those teams have never set foot in those cities (and probably never will).

ArgoRavi
04-26-2022, 02:10 AM
That's more players with Argo connections than I saw in the stands on Saturday for the Maulers/Stars game.

I keep seeing on Twitter that attendance doesn't matter - only TV ratings do - but I can't see how this will be the formula for success for this league.

AngeloV
04-26-2022, 09:38 AM
I keep seeing on Twitter that attendance doesn't matter - only TV ratings do - but I can't see how this will be the formula for success for this league.

Maybe for this year. Obviously with FOX having a stake in the league, ratings and sponsorship are huge to them. But I can't see ratings being very high either.

jerrym
04-27-2022, 02:16 AM

You are either a very kind soul or a masochist/sadist in mentioning Bart Andrus's three wins without mentioning his fifteen losses. It was one of my most frustrating seasons as an Argo fan.

jerrym
04-27-2022, 02:20 AM

What else are they going to say when the attendance is lousy? - Attendance is central to our business plan? When viewers repeatedly see empty stands I can't see it not having a major impact on viewership, especially when there are no long-term diehard fans in a brand new league willing to support the team through thick and thin.

gilthethrill
05-01-2022, 06:34 PM
Todays USFLs game in Birmingham between Pittsburgh and Michigan featured a 24-0 shutout for the Michiganders. While not able to see the the game itself, the boxscore showed the 2 Ex CFL QBs for Michigan average 2.9 yards per attempt. Pittsburghs QBs were not much better at 4 yards.
A trend I am seeing is that RBs have a higher yards per carry than that.
So is it great defensive play or horrible offensive play?

AngeloV
05-01-2022, 07:50 PM
Todays USFLs game in Birmingham between Pittsburgh and Michigan featured a 24-0 shutout for the Michiganders. While not able to see the the game itself, the boxscore showed the 2 Ex CFL QBs for Michigan average 2.9 yards per attempt. Pittsburghs QBs were not much better at 4 yards.

The league should look into going to 5 downs, or outlaw the forward pass.

Seriously though, I will give the league credit for this. Prior to the Stallions/Breakers game last night, Fox had a 30 minute show which really hi-lighted players (hey, there was no hockey last night). The CFL and TSN should be taking notes on that show. CFL needs to have their players hi-lighted like that.

jerrym
05-04-2022, 01:46 AM

What did you expect when the two ex-CFLers are Shea Patterson, who played five games for the Als last year as a backup but had no pass attempts and only 18 yards on 11 carries, and Paxton Lynch, who although a former first round NFL failure, was the Riders third string QB who was inactive on game days and banned from playing in November because he could no longer fly because as an unvaccinated person. However, both were ranked as the top QBs in the league in at least one ranking!

jerrym
05-04-2022, 01:53 AM
And viewship is dropping like a rock, from a total of 6.26 million for four games in the first week to a total of 2.65 million for four games in the second week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_USFL_season

jerrym
05-09-2022, 02:53 AM
The following video discusses the USFL problems including talent, attendance, finances, length of game, and roster depth, .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwhhRe-yXE

gilthethrill
05-09-2022, 10:05 AM
The following video discusses the USFL problems including talent, attendance, finances, length of game, and roster depth, .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwhhRe-yXE

It will be interesting next spring when both the USFL and the XFL 3.0 are both playing.

paulwoods13
05-09-2022, 10:50 AM
Changes they announced last week to shorten the games did not work this weekend. The games I recorded (then erased without watching) all went past the three-hour mark.

OV Argo
05-09-2022, 07:07 PM
It will be interesting next spring when both the USFL and the XFL 3.0 are both playing.

IMO - the existence of both leagues might be part of the BOG/GOB panic-plan to get rid of more Canadians and allow more Americans on CFL rosters; gotta sign lots of new imports and soon, and be able to add more and more in the face of this over-whelming competition for talent; tons of new young FA American signings by CFL teams in the past few weeks.

argolio
05-10-2022, 12:38 PM
It will be interesting next spring when both the USFL and the XFL 3.0 are both playing.I'm waiting for the much-anticipated merger talks.

jerrym
05-15-2022, 08:05 PM

What makes you think the USFL will still be around next year?

gilthethrill
05-19-2022, 07:12 AM
What makes you think the USFL will still be around next year?

Despite TV ratings plummeting and zero attendance, the people running the league appear steadfast in their willingness to bleed money. The most interesting part is who is the XFL going to sign to play QB? The USFL has shown IMO that there simply is not enough talent out there.

Mocha
05-19-2022, 07:32 AM
Despite TV ratings plummeting and zero attendance, the people running the league appear steadfast in their willingness to bleed money. The most interesting part is who is the XFL going to sign to play QB? The USFL has shown IMO that there simply is not enough talent out there.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the CFL come to a player-sharing agreement with the XFL, if their season will end before ours begins.

AngeloV
05-19-2022, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see the CFL come to a player-sharing agreement with the XFL, if their season will end before ours begins.

I would be shcked if this happened. For starters, the XFL season ends as CFL training camps would be starting. You would get players back up here with the risk of fatigue late in the season, or serious injury in which you also may lose your player for the entire season. It would greatly diminish the CFL product. Football is not meant to play year round, I don't believe players bodies can take playing 2 football seasons in one. In fact, I will say there is no way this will happen.

jerrym
05-22-2022, 01:12 AM
I would be shcked if this happened. For starters, the XFL season ends as CFL training camps would be starting. You would get players back up here with the risk of fatigue late in the season, or serious injury in which you also may lose your player for the entire season. It would greatly diminish the CFL product. Football is not meant to play year round, I don't believe players bodies can take playing 2 football seasons in one. In fact, I will say there is no way this will happen.

I totally agree.

Mocha
05-22-2022, 08:15 AM

Yes, definitely there would be risks, and I think it would depend on when the XFL season ends. But . . . IF the CFL believes the XFL can survive for several seasons and would represent a talent drain without player sharing, I think they might consider sharing.

ArgoRavi
05-23-2022, 12:24 AM
The league should look into going to 5 downs, or outlaw the forward pass.

Seriously though, I will give the league credit for this. Prior to the Stallions/Breakers game last night, Fox had a 30 minute show which really hi-lighted players (hey, there was no hockey last night). The CFL and TSN should be taking notes on that show. CFL needs to have their players hi-lighted like that.

I caught some of the first episode of that documentary series and thought it was quite good. Mike Riley's wife appears to be suffering from dementia and he mentioned to his players that she would be hanging around the team a lot as he needed to be close to her.

ArgoRavi
05-23-2022, 12:27 AM
Yes, definitely there would be risks, and I think it would depend on when the XFL season ends. But . . . IF the CFL believes the XFL can survive for several seasons and would represent a talent drain without player sharing, I think they might consider sharing.

I just don't see this happening. 10 or so XFL games along with at least 18 CFL games in a year is simply unsustainable on players' bodies. The CFL tried this twenty years ago with the Arena League and it didn't seem to work out that well back then.

jerrym
05-28-2022, 01:54 AM

They can't say anything different because they would immediately lose a major fraction of their fan base, just like other leagues about to fold in the past and just like politicians say they will win even when they are 25% behind in the polls with a week to go in the election. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but what they say doesn't tell you anything.

ArgoRavi
05-28-2022, 02:06 AM
They can't say anything different because they would immediately lose a major fraction of their fan base, just like other leagues about to fold in the past and just like politicians say they will win even when they are 25% behind in the polls with a week to go in the election. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but what they say doesn't tell you anything.

I remember AAF fans saying three years ago how investors were willing to sink hundreds of millions of dollars in that league before it folded prior to the end of the season.

jerrym
06-14-2022, 05:31 AM
The USFL "viewership takes a substantial hit in Week 8" of the season.

https://sportsnaut.com/usfl-tv-ratings/

gilthethrill
06-20-2022, 09:20 AM
With the regular season concluded the USFL playoffs begin next weekend in Canton Ohio. The 6-4 Philadelphia Stars led by former Argo HC Bart Andrus take on the 9-1 NJ Generals. In the Prime Time game The 6-4 New Orleans Breakers take on the 9-1 Birmingham Stallions.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2022, 09:11 PM
With the regular season concluded the USFL playoffs begin next weekend in Canton Ohio. The 6-4 Philadelphia Stars led by former Argo HC Bart Andrus take on the 9-1 NJ Generals. In the Prime Time game The 6-4 New Orleans Breakers take on the 9-1 Birmingham Stallions.

I wonder if people in Canton will be anymore interested in attending than those in Birmingham were.

gilthethrill
06-25-2022, 06:28 PM
The USFL playoff kicked off this afternoon with underdog Philadelphia Stars led by former Argo HC Bart Andrus downing the NJ Generals 19-14 in Canton Ohio.

Star QB Case Cookus led the Philadelphia attack with 133 yards in the air and a rushing TD. NJ QB Luis Perez, a veteran of the AAF, XFL and SFL couldn’t quite get his squad to next weekends Championship game.

The Stars now await the outcome of tomorrow’s game between New Orleans and the Birmingham Stallions.

jerrym
06-25-2022, 06:37 PM
Here's a look at six USFL players who might get a look in the NFL. Many of these have already had one or more NFL looks and one, Channing Stribling even had a cup of coffee in the CFL.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10038899-players-in-usfl-playoffs-who-deserve-a-shot-in-the-nfl

ArgoRavi
06-25-2022, 08:06 PM
The USFL playoff kicked off this afternoon with underdog Philadelphia Stars led by former Argo HC Bart Andrus downing the NJ Generals 19-14 in Canton Ohio.

Star QB Case Cookus led the Philadelphia attack with 133 yards in the air and a rushing TD. NJ QB Luis Perez, a veteran of the AAF, XFL and SFL couldn’t quite get his squad to next weekends Championship game.

The Stars now await the outcome of tomorrow’s game between New Orleans and the Birmingham Stallions.

Andrus defeated two-time Grey Cup winning head coach Mike Riley in this one!

gilthethrill
06-26-2022, 03:34 PM
Its official. The Birmingham Stallions will meet the Philadelphia Stars in next weekends USFL title game after defeating the New Orleans Breakers 31-17 in Canton, Ohio.

The 6-4 Stars most likely will be viewed as underdogs yet again as they face the 9-1 Stallions led by former Ti-Cat hopeful QB J. Smith who will be trying to deny the City of Brotherly Love its first pro football title since the Eagles won the Super Bowl vs New England.

ArgoRavi
06-27-2022, 12:49 AM
Its official. The Birmingham Stallions will meet the Philadelphia Stars in next weekends USFL title game after defeating the New Orleans Breakers 31-17 in Canton, Ohio.

The 6-4 Stars most likely will be viewed as underdogs yet again as they face the 9-1 Stallions led by former Ti-Cat hopeful QB J. Smith who will be trying to deny the City of Brotherly Love its first pro football title since the Eagles won the Super Bowl vs New England.

The victory parade in either Birmingham or Philadelphia will be one for the ages.

gilthethrill
12-19-2022, 07:18 AM
QB Jalen Morton who spent time with the Hamilton Ti-Cats last season has signed a contract with the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL.

ArgoRavi
12-19-2022, 12:22 PM
QB Jalen Morton who spent time with the Hamilton Ti-Cats last season has signed a contract with the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL.

He has a much better chance of seeing playing time in Birmingham than in Hamilton. His only substantial playing time this past season was in the Labour Day loss to the Argos.

gilthethrill
12-19-2022, 12:54 PM
He has a much better chance of seeing playing time in Birmingham than in Hamilton. His only substantial playing time this past season was in the Labour Day loss to the Argos.

Morton will have to battle Ex CFL QBs in J’Mar Smith and Montell Cozart who are already on the Stallions roster. As usual, I will keep the forum appraised of any notable USFL/XFL activities both on and off season.

gilthethrill
01-19-2023, 02:48 PM
The USFL and the Memphis Showboats are partnering with Sullivan Branding.

gilthethrill
01-23-2023, 03:29 PM
The USFL is holding a press conference Thursday in Detroit at Ford Field. The league is expected to announce the return of the Michigan Panthers after a lengthy absence.

AngeloV
01-23-2023, 03:30 PM
The USFL is holding a press conference Thursday in Detroit at Ford Field. The league is expected to announce the return of the Michigan Panthers after a lengthy absence.

I hope Anthony Carter starts at WR.

gilthethrill
01-23-2023, 03:36 PM
I hope Anthony Carter starts at WR.

Garrett Marino could be starting at DT though.

OV Argo
01-23-2023, 10:34 PM

Wonder how many QBs or other players he can cheap-shot and take out ?

AngeloV
01-24-2023, 01:30 PM

So they don’t have a steroid policy I guess.

gilthethrill
01-24-2023, 04:09 PM
The Pittsburgh Maulers have changed their uniform colours to black and gold thus getting away from wearing the defunct AAF Orlando Apollo’s hand me down jerseys.

Staying with the Maulers, press conference today in Canton OH reportedly to announce that the Pittsburgh Maulers will play their home games at the Pro Football HOF.

AngeloV
01-25-2023, 04:11 PM
The Pittsburgh Maulers have changed their uniform colours to black and gold thus getting away from wearing the defunct AAF Orlando Apollo’s hand me down jerseys.

Staying with the Maulers, press conference today in Canton OH reportedly to announce that the Pittsburgh Maulers will play their home games at the Pro Football HOF.

I didn’t realize Canton was a suburb of Pittsburgh. Did Morgantown WV show no interest? It’s only an hour away.

gilthethrill
01-25-2023, 04:40 PM
I didn’t realize Canton was a suburb of Pittsburgh. Did Morgantown WV show no interest? It’s only an hour away.

Canton is approximately 90 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. I failed to mention that the New Jersey Generals will also be calling Canton OH home.

I had to look it up but Morgantown WV only has a population of around 29,000.

AngeloV
01-25-2023, 11:26 PM
Canton is approximately 90 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. I failed to mention that the New Jersey Generals will also be calling Canton OH home.

I had to look it up but Morgantown WV only has a population of around 29,000.

I understand their 8 teams will be playing in 4 cities this year. 2 teams for every hub city.

gilthethrill
01-28-2023, 06:26 AM
Two USFL QBs won’t be joining their recently relocated teams in 2023. Pittsburgh has released Roland Rivers III while Memphis has parted ways with “Yes” Guy Meyers. Rivers III is the 2nd QB to be sent packing by the Maulers who earlier cut QB Vad Lee who has since signed with BC. Lee, 29 last played in the CFL in 2016 with Saskatchewan when he dressed for 3 games before being released.

argolio
01-28-2023, 12:33 PM
Two USFL QBs won’t be joining their recently relocated teams in 2023. Pittsburgh has released Roland Rivers III while Memphis has parted ways with “Yes” Guy Meyers. Rivers III is the 2nd QB to be sent packing by the Maulers who earlier cut QB Vad Lee who has since signed with BC. Lee, 29 last played in the CFL in 2016 with Saskatchewan when he dressed for 3 games before being released.My USFL fantasy team is now dead. Just great!

gilthethrill
01-29-2023, 08:23 PM
QB Paxton Lynch who spent 2021 with the Saskatchewan Roughriders and spent last season in the USFL has signed a contract with the Orlando Guardians.

Foxhound
02-04-2023, 11:47 PM
Will the new XFL act to kill this USFL, or will it be the other way around?

:hmmmm:

AngeloV
02-15-2023, 07:51 PM
In the “what are they thinking” segment of the day, Hergy Mayala and Richie Sindani have taken their talents to New Orleans (or whatever hub city they are playing in)

https://twitter.com/USFLBreakers/status/1626001511926071302?s=20

gilthethrill
02-16-2023, 07:08 AM
In the “what are they thinking” segment of the day, Hergy Mayala and Richie Sindani have taken their talents to New Orleans (or whatever hub city they are playing in)

Can’t really explain those moves.

ArgoRavi
02-16-2023, 10:46 AM

Yeah, I really don't understand this move on their part.

Foxhound
03-14-2023, 06:39 PM
Can/will this USFL thing be any worse than the latest incarnation of the XFL?

:hmmmm:

gilthethrill
04-09-2023, 07:10 AM
The New Jersey Generals have signed former Argo DB Treston Decoud to a professional contract.

paulwoods13
04-09-2023, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I really don't understand this move on their part.

Both guys had visa issues that delayed their arrival. Sindani got cut; Mayala is still there, but won't be able to play unless visa gets sorted out. My understanding is that both guys hoped to parlay a USFL stint to a shot at the NFL.

gilthethrill
04-09-2023, 11:38 AM
Both guys had visa issues that delayed their arrival. Sindani got cut; Mayala is still there, but won't be able to play unless visa gets sorted out. My understanding is that both guys hoped to parlay a USFL stint to a shot at the NFL.

I think something similar happened to Bombers draft pick OL Liam Dobson last season. He ended up in Winnipeg.

paulwoods13
04-09-2023, 02:52 PM
I think something similar happened to Bombers draft pick OL Liam Dobson last season. He ended up in Winnipeg.

Yep. I'll be surprised if Mayala gets a work permit. It's not as if there is a shortage of Americans willing and able to take that job.

ArgoRavi
04-10-2023, 12:34 AM

I totally understand the lure of the NFL and the great amount of money that it can bestow. However, both of these players are 27 years old and turning 28 this year, and NFL interest in either of them is highly unlikely at this point. At a certain point, these players need to be realistic about their chances.

gilthethrill
04-10-2023, 07:28 AM
I totally understand the lure of the NFL and the great amount of money that it can bestow. However, both of these players are 27 years old and turning 28 this year, and NFL interest in either of them is highly unlikely at this point. At a certain point, these players need to be realistic about their chances.

Neither player was really memorable in the CFL, not sure who encouraged them to chase the NFL.

paulwoods13
04-10-2023, 08:02 AM

I think it's obvious by now that every CFL player dreams about the NFL. Some undoubtedly are realistic about their chances, but many guys -- even pedestrian, older players -- continue to dream about it. And given how so much of making it in football seems to be circumstantial, being in the right place at the right time, who can blame them?

ArgoRavi
04-10-2023, 11:23 PM
I think it's obvious by now that every CFL player dreams about the NFL. Some undoubtedly are realistic about their chances, but many guys -- even pedestrian, older players -- continue to dream about it. And given how so much of making it in football seems to be circumstantial, being in the right place at the right time, who can blame them?

I get it, but players really need to look at what has happened historically. Has a Canadian player at age 28 - other than perhaps a kicker - ever received an NFL opportunity in history? I remember when Victor Butler was looking to get back to the NFL after the Argos won the Grey Cup in 2017 but the Argos wouldn't release him from his contract, so he effectively retired. I recall, at that time, that nobody in Butler's circumstances - i.e., a defensive lineman who was 28 or 29 - had ever gotten a sniff at the NFL after having been in that league a few years earlier. The NFL is always looking for the next best, young thing.

Anyway, Sindani will have to sit a two-game suspension if he returns to the CFL; Mayala has been more productive and would ordinarily be able to secure a decent CFL contract, but the free agency money has pretty much dried up for 2023 long before now.

paulwoods13
04-11-2023, 08:11 AM
Expecting players to be "realistic" about their chances ignores the way people tend to think. A lot of guys don't let reality intrude on their dreams. Hope springs eternal.

Mayala has now been released by the Breakers, FWIW.

gilthethrill
04-11-2023, 09:56 AM
Expecting players to be "realistic" about their chances ignores the way people tend to think. A lot of guys don't let reality intrude on their dreams. Hope springs eternal.

Mayala has now been released by the Breakers, FWIW.

Thanks for your USFL transactions update Paul. Both the spring leagues seem content on not having a transactions page on their websites. Funny how 3Down Nation missed both the Sindani and Hercules Mayala releases…..but Danny Macocia did write out going Als President a “Thank You Letter”

ArgoRavi
04-17-2023, 12:52 AM
MBT won his first USFL start, behind a shaky o-line at times. MBT knows how to win though and he willed his team to a last minute victory.

Argo57
04-17-2023, 07:42 AM
MBT won his first USFL start, behind a shaky o-line at times. MBT knows how to win though and he willed his team to a last minute victory.

It seems this MBT guy learned a few things from Chad Kelly.

Will
04-17-2023, 08:29 AM

Pretty shaky in the 1st half leading MBT to go 6/19 for 94 yards in the first half, but be recovered in the second half to go 17/22 for 208 yards, including, the game winning TD with a minute left. The Maulers got a defensive TD and a special teams TD, but were otherwise shutdown by the Breakers defense.

paulwoods13
04-17-2023, 10:44 AM
IMO, MBT's first-half problems were mostly someone else's fault -- receivers dropping catchable passes and o-line acting like a sieve (where have we seen that before?). Once he get better protection, he got into a rhythm. I imagine he will be named offensive player of the week, considering he was the only QB to surpass 300 yards.

ArgoGabe22
04-17-2023, 11:02 AM
IMO, MBT's first-half problems were mostly someone else's fault -- receivers dropping catchable passes and o-line acting like a sieve (where have we seen that before?). Once he get better protection, he got into a rhythm. I imagine he will be named offensive player of the week, considering he was the only QB to surpass 300 yards.

Nothing against the other players but MBT is probably the biggest name in the league. Should be an early favourite for any kind of award - if those even exist in the USFL. League MVP/Offensive MVP

paulwoods13
04-17-2023, 11:35 AM
Nothing against the other players but MBT is probably the biggest name in the league. Should be an early favourite for any kind of award - if those even exist in the USFL. League MVP/Offensive MVP

There are a few "name" players (ex-NFLers, mostly). By U.S. standards he's not much of a name since he's been in Canada the past six years, and he was never established in the NFL before that. But in terms of pro football accomplishments, he's by far the biggest deal in the league. The USFL might have been reluctant to embrace and promote a 34-year-old as their marquee name, but if he continues to excel (as seems highly likely), it will be hard for Fox and NBC/Peacock/USA to resist the redemption story -- especially if Chinaka and Aziza keep getting screen time.

AngeloV
04-17-2023, 02:55 PM

He’s such a name that the FS1 lead in from NASCAR (I tuned in early to see if there was a pre game show) said he was the Maulers QB. That’s pretty bad.

gilthethrill
04-17-2023, 04:49 PM

I didn’t see the game but I have a fairly reliable source that told me MBT got sacked hard a few times in the 1st half. Typical of US spring leagues with lesser O Line talent than the CFL, I just hope MBT can stay healthy. Bear in mind too that the Breakers beat a team with no QBs that is coming off a disastrous season. It could be different vs a Birmingham team or a strong Bart Andrus led Philadelphia squad.

paulwoods13
04-17-2023, 04:54 PM
I didn’t see the game but I have a fairly reliable source that told me MBT got sacked hard a few times in the 1st half. Typical of US spring leagues with lesser O Line talent than the CFL, I just hope MBT can stay healthy.

I don't think the CFL is in a position to crow about its superior offensive line talent. Both o-lines got dominated at times yesterday; so did CFL o-lines at times last season. The Breakers' line looked no worse than the Argos' line did at times last year, especially when Allen was out of the lineup and MacKellar was struggling at LG. IMO there is a general shortage of capable o-linemen, and it is affecting all pro leagues.

AngeloV
04-17-2023, 10:41 PM
The Breakers' line looked no worse than the Argos' line did at times last year, especially when Allen was out of the lineup and MacKellar was struggling at LG. IMO there is a general shortage of capable o-linemen, and it is affecting all pro leagues.

I have to disagree with this. I don't recall a half of football where MBT was sacked 4 times as easily as he was yesterday. That line also couldn't open up any holes for the running game. Things changed when they went to a 6 o-line, 1 TE look for the majority of the 2nd half. I have seen the same thing in the XFL. The O-lines can't handle pressure and rushing yards per carry are brutal. Third and long situations have been a disaster all season in that league.

ArgoRavi
04-18-2023, 12:41 AM
I have to disagree with this. I don't recall a half of football where MBT was sacked 4 times as easily as he was yesterday. That line also couldn't open up any holes for the running game. Things changed when they went to a 6 o-line, 1 TE look for the majority of the 2nd half. I have seen the same thing in the XFL. The O-lines can't handle pressure and rushing yards per carry are brutal. Third and long situations have been a disaster all season in that league.

I tend to agree with AV here. Saskatchewan's o-line was terrible in 2022, but CFL o-lines, by and large, are better than what I have seen in either the XFL or USFL. MBT had decent protection with the Argos the past two years and the o-line improved further with Ryan Hunter's addition late in the season.

paulwoods13
04-18-2023, 08:00 AM
I've been going through all the Argos' games in 2022. There was a fair bit of terrible o-line play in the first two-thirds of the season. Things improved a lot once Allen got healthy and Hunter got inserted at LG, but it was pretty rough a lot of the time before that. Winning the Grey Cup seems to have erased some bad memories, I guess.

paulwoods13
04-18-2023, 08:01 AM
I have seen the same thing in the XFL. The O-lines can't handle pressure and rushing yards per carry are brutal. Third and long situations have been a disaster all season in that league.

Which would seem to (partially) support my suggestion that good o-linemen are in short supply generally.

OV Argo
04-18-2023, 04:30 PM
Which would seem to (partially) support my suggestion that good o-linemen are in short supply generally.

That, maybe; but also lots of predictable dullards in charge of CFL offences now; so little diversity; so little applied ground game. Defences know what's coming and can tee-off in pass rush to sometimes make O-lines look bad.

Don't recall the KC Chiefs O-line getting lambasted when they got over-run most of the game by the Tampa Bay defence, back 3 Super Bowls ago; but maybe it was more a very good D scheme rather than weak O-line play.

paulwoods13
04-18-2023, 08:23 PM
That, maybe; but also lots of predictable dullards in charge of CFL offences now; so little diversity; so little applied ground game. Defences know what's coming and can tee-off in pass rush to sometimes make O-lines look bad.

Most major colleges in the States run pass-oriented offences these days, and tons of high schools do as well. There aren't many road-grader-type o-linemen because they aren't being developed, IMO. A coach who wanted to build a ball-control offence might have trouble finding guys who could do it properly.

OV Argo
04-18-2023, 11:08 PM
Most major colleges in the States run pass-oriented offences these days, and tons of high schools do as well. There aren't many road-grader-type o-linemen because they aren't being developed, IMO. A coach who wanted to build a ball-control offence might have trouble finding guys who could do it properly.

Yet Western remain a powerhouse Canadian football team with lots of diverse run game (they also have a good young now QB who can pass well). Their depleted D let them down last season in the big play-off game vs. Laval (who are more pass oriented, but like a bunch of U Sports football teams, still will bang a diverse ground game - , which helped carry them over Western.)

Offensive style, game plans, play-books & calling are choices of the coaches in charge. Football now is dominated by a lot of copy-cat, limited, same old thinkers. I happen to like some diversity in the game of football. When all teams run the same basic offence (as in the CFL now), it becomes less interesting IMO. Keep hiring guys from the same old clique of same thinkers to run teams, and that's what you will get.

paulwoods13
04-19-2023, 07:41 AM
Offensive style, game plans, play-books & calling are choices of the coaches in charge. Football now is dominated by a lot of copy-cat, limited, same old thinkers. I happen to like some diversity in the game of football. When all teams run the same basic offence (as in the CFL now), it becomes less interesting IMO. Keep hiring guys from the same old clique of same thinkers to run teams, and that's what you will get.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I don't think a run-oriented approach would succeed in the pros because the primary feeder systems are not doing that. Western is a unicorn these days.

OV Argo
04-19-2023, 11:35 AM
I don't disagree with any of this, but I don't think a run-oriented approach would succeed in the pros because the primary feeder systems are not doing that. Western is a unicorn these days.

I didn't say run-oriented was the way to go (though IMO it would be very interesting to see just one team try), but closer to balance could be tried. And almost every team in U Sports ball (that's Canadian football) now tries way more ground game than the CFL teams do now. So do all NFL teams pretty well, but that's 4 down football so a separate discussion on offensive style or thinking.

I get the jokes about leather helmets or living in the past or whatever, when it's suggested that a football team could try lots of run game still (does anybody mock Western now when they are still winning the OUA most years, mostly with a power, applied ground game?), but there are examples from fairly recent CFL history that show winning teams who had way more balance on offence and an effective, diverse running attack. There is no new CFL or football law that says we have to pass 70% + of the time, or we won't win. I guess a lot of OCs now though accept lots of QB sacks & strip fumbles, drive killing dropped passes, waggle off-sides galore and 4 yard hitch pass gains as the only way to go ?

paulwoods13
04-22-2023, 03:44 PM
MBT's second game is in the books, a 38-31 win for the Breakers. MBT went 23/34 for 251 yards, 2 TDs and no INTs. Former Ticat Wes Hills scored three TDs for NO and rushed for 110 yards on 18 carries.

gilthethrill
04-22-2023, 03:58 PM
MBT's second game is in the books, a 38-31 win for the Breakers. MBT went 23/34 for 251 yards, 2 TDs and no INTs. Former Ticat Wes Hills scored three TDs for NO and rushed for 110 yards on 18 carries.

With divisional rival and defending league champ Birmingham Stallions losing their starting QB J’Mar Smith for the season, MBT could find himself in another league title game for the 2nd time in 6 months.

ArgoRavi
04-25-2023, 12:56 AM
With divisional rival and defending league champ Birmingham Stallions losing their starting QB J’Mar Smith for the season, MBT could find himself in another league title game for the 2nd time in 6 months.

Is there a better QB in the USFL than MBT?

paulwoods13
04-25-2023, 09:57 AM
Is there a better QB in the USFL than MBT?

TBD. McGough had a hell of a game for the Stallions on the weekend.

AngeloV
04-25-2023, 08:03 PM
I've enjoyed watching the Breakers with MBT, Wes Hills (who was way better than the week 1 starting RB) and Vonte Diggs, I have adopted them as my team in that league. Having said that, both games they have played in their "home" stadium in Birmingham have been in front of I would say less than 500 fans each. It's tough to be into it. From my understanding, TV ratings have also been pretty bad. Will they eventually have all their teams playing home games in the cities they represent? Maybe in year 3 if they make it that far. This league has to be losing tons of cash.

ArgoRavi
04-26-2023, 01:16 AM
I've enjoyed watching the Breakers with MBT, Wes Hills (who was way better than the week 1 starting RB) and Vonte Diggs, I have adopted them as my team in that league. Having said that, both games they have played in their "home" stadium in Birmingham have been in front of I would say less than 500 fans each. It's tough to be into it. From my understanding, TV ratings have also been pretty bad. Will they eventually have all their teams playing home games in the cities they represent? Maybe in year 3 if they make it that far. This league has to be losing tons of cash.

Agreed. Likewise, how can the XFL not be losing a tonne of money also, with mostly poor crowds and less than impressive TV numbers?

paulwoods13
04-29-2023, 05:17 PM
Another big day for MBT (20/28/283/1/3/124.6) and a huge day for former Ticat Wes Hills (34/191/3). Breakers alone in first place after defeating the defending champion Stallions.

matthew
05-05-2023, 08:34 AM
Clearly no room for two US Spring leagues and probably debatable if there is appetite at all for just one with the XFL only doing moderately better. Can't see the USFL carrying on much longer.

AngeloV
05-05-2023, 04:03 PM
Clearly no room for two US Spring leagues and probably debatable if there is appetite at all for just one with the XFL only doing moderately better. Can't see the USFL carrying on much longer.

The irony is that the USFL games have been much better. I guess they just don’t have the same hype factor

ArgoRavi
05-15-2023, 01:33 AM
Two USFL games were on national TV on Sunday. Bart Andrus' Philadelphia Stars kicked a last minute FG to beat Mike Riley's New Jersey Generals in Detroit, while MBT's New Orleans Breakers lost their first game of the season to the Memphis Showboats in Birmingham. There couldn't have been much more than 100 to 200 fans on hand at either game.

paulwoods13
05-15-2023, 07:21 AM
Attendance for games involving a "home" team that isn't from that city has not been good. The Stallions draw OK in Birmingham; the Breakers draw flies.

On another subject, the drone cameras in use seem to be flying barely inches above the ground at times, judging by the shadows they cast. How long until one of them interferes with a play?

ArgoRavi
05-15-2023, 11:00 AM
Attendance for games involving a "home" team that isn't from that city has not been good. The Stallions draw OK in Birmingham; the Breakers draw flies.

On another subject, the drone cameras in use seem to be flying barely inches above the ground at times, judging by the shadows they cast. How long until one of them interferes with a play?

I was told on Twitter that a drone camera was making a lot of noise at the game in Birmingham yesterday after I complained that it sounded like we could hear workers using electric tools at that game. With only a couple of hundred people at the game, you can hear everything.

Will
05-22-2023, 07:37 AM
Paul Woods and I drove to Detroit yesterday to watch the Breakers and Stars game, which the Stars won 16-10. MBT threw a pick-six that ended up being the difference in the game and struggled to get any rhythm going offensively. He does not have a very good OL in front of him which, as we know, is important for him to succeed. Lirim Hajrullahu is the punter for the Stars and came over and said hello before the game.

jerrym
05-22-2023, 08:24 PM
Questions remain about the XFL league's long term survival in terms of its viewer ratings compared to those of the USFL.

In total, the XFL playoffs averaged 576,500 average viewers across its two broadcasts on ESPN. In contrast, both USFL playoff games in 2022 averaged a combined 980,000 viewers on NBC and FOX. While the XFL was competing against the USFL regular season and both NBA and NHL playoff games, the audience size for two playoff matchups is a concerning development. the May 13 XFL Championship Game on ABC at 8 PM ET will need to pull in a much larger audience to avoid discussion about the XFL’s long-term viability.

https://sportsnaut.com/xfl-tv-ratings-2023/

jerrym
05-22-2023, 09:45 PM
On the other hand the XFL did do well in its Championship viewership compared to last year's USFL' 980,000 viewers and will be back in 2024.

The XFL Championship Game averaged 1.43 million viewers, making it the most-watched game in the 2023 XFL season since Week 1. The numbers were right on par with the first games of the XFL 3.0 launch (1.5 million and 1.6 million average viewers). At its peak, Saturday’s championship game had 1.8 million viewers tuned in on ABC. Of note, the XFL wasn’t competing against the NBA Playoffs on Saturday night.
Will the XFL return in 2024?

The XFL will return in 2024, with its broadcasting partners ESPN and ABC both interested in the league sticking around. XFL co-owner Dany Garcia announced in May that they are in the planning stages for the 2024 season, but they saw sufficient enough interest to move forward into a second season.

https://sportsnaut.com/xfl-tv-ratings-2023/

ArgoRavi
06-17-2023, 11:28 PM
If I am not mistaken, MBT has a must-win game to make the playoffs tomorrow at 1 pm (not on television in Canada) against the Houston Gamblers.

By the way, like the XFL, the USFL has one division that is considerably stronger than the other. In the North Division (at least I think that's what it's called), a 4-6 team is the first place team. Even in the much-maligned CFL East, on only one occasion (2016), has a first place team finished with less than a .500 record (Ottawa was 8-9-1 that season).

gilthethrill
06-18-2023, 06:22 AM
In a must win game yesterday former respected CFL HC Mike Riley stayed the course with his starting QB and was rewarded with a 12-27 for 137 yards. Dakota Prukop watched this from the sideline. NJ Generals season is over.

ArgoRavi
06-18-2023, 02:57 PM
In a must win game yesterday former respected CFL HC Mike Riley stayed the course with his starting QB and was rewarded with a 12-27 for 137 yards. Dakota Prukop watched this from the sideline. NJ Generals season is over.

Sounds like Mike Riley and Chris Jones had similar days on Saturday.

gilthethrill
06-19-2023, 11:56 AM
The playoffs are set. Next weekend Michigan travels to Canton OH to face Pittsburgh while MBT and his New Orleans breakers travel from Birmingham to face the defending Champions Birmingham Stallions at home.

Bart Andrus and his Stars, who played in the Championship game last year lost on the final weekend to miss the playoffs with a 4-6 record.

ArgoRavi
06-25-2023, 11:20 PM
MBT's season has ended, as has his quest for a second championship in less than a year. The 8-3 Birmingham Stallions will take on the 5-6 Pittsburgh Maulers in the USFL championship game next Sunday.

paulwoods13
06-26-2023, 08:27 AM
Sad way for MBT's USFL career to end. He must be exhausted after playing 30 games in the last year or so, and after having to throw 50 passes last night after the Breakers fell so far behind. Here's hoping some NFL team saw enough over the past three months to invite him to camp.

Will
06-26-2023, 08:48 AM
The playoffs are set. Next weekend Michigan travels to Canton OH to face Pittsburgh while MBT and his New Orleans breakers travel from Birmingham to face the defending Champions Birmingham Stallions at home.

Bart Andrus and his Stars, who played in the Championship game last year lost on the final weekend to miss the playoffs with a 4-6 record.

You hate to see it.

ArgoRavi
06-26-2023, 10:52 AM
Sad way for MBT's USFL career to end. He must be exhausted after playing 30 games in the last year or so, and after having to throw 50 passes last night after the Breakers fell so far behind. Here's hoping some NFL team saw enough over the past three months to invite him to camp.

If he doesn't get an NFL invitation, do you think MBT would play again in the USFL next year, Paul?

paulwoods13
06-26-2023, 11:45 AM
If he doesn't get an NFL invitation, do you think MBT would play again in the USFL next year, Paul?

Not a chance.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2023, 01:46 PM
Anyone jacked up for the USFL championship game tomorrow night?

gilthethrill
07-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Anyone jacked up for the USFL championship game tomorrow night?

A Troy Williams/Alex McGeough QB matchup? Whats not to get excited about?

ArgoRavi
07-02-2023, 07:34 PM
A Troy Williams/Alex McGeough QB matchup? Whats not to get excited about?

I didn't realize until I saw a tweet from Jim Mullin on Twitter that the USFL championship was actually last night. Birmingham defeated former Edmonton QB Troy Williams and the Maulers 28-12 to win the title in Canton, Ohio.

gilthethrill
07-22-2023, 09:56 PM
Birmingham QB Alex McGeough has signed a professional contract with the NFLs Green Bay Packers after being named USF MVP and helping his team capture the league championship.

ArgoRavi
07-22-2023, 11:20 PM
Birmingham QB Alex McGeough has signed a professional contract with the NFLs Green Bay Packers after being named USF MVP and helping his team capture the league championship.

An interesting signing for sure at age 27 and having bounced around a little in the NFL before. We shall see how he does with Green Bay. If he comes loose by September, I wonder if he might be interested in giving the CFL a try.

paulwoods13
07-23-2023, 08:35 AM
McGough was the best QB in the USFL. MBT was good but not as good as McGough. I expect he will make the Packers.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 01:11 AM
The Patriots have signed ex-USFL DT Jeremiah Pharms to their active 53-man roster.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8