PDA

View Full Version : June 30th 2012: Toronto Argonauts vs. Edmonton

T-Bone
06-26-2012, 02:04 PM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/edm.png

Week 1
Saturday, June 30th 2012 at 7:00pm ET.
Commonwealth Stadium. Edmonton, AB.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)

US Viewing:
Video Webcast: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3)

Depth Chart: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012)

Away Game Viewing: Shoeless Joe's (276 King St. W. Toronto, ON) (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?201-List-of-Argonauts-Friendly-Bars-in-the-GTA&p=8179&viewfull=1#post8179)

Will
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately, I will be in Montreal this weekend for an unveiling. Probably watch it from somewhere on Rue Crescent.

Mulder
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I'll be in the Ottawa Area Saturday.

gilthethrill
06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Make Jyles try to beat you with his arm....if the Argos can do this, 2 points come east.

ArgoGabe22
06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
According to practice looks like the O is...

Smith-Parenteau-Keeping-Eppele- Van Zeyl
Owens - Inman - Ray - Durie - Barnes - Watt - Boyd (Mann did not take part)

On defence I'm guessing, its hard to see with a lot of changes happening.

Foley - Cohen - Armstead - Kuale ? (Huntley did not practice)
Ball - McCune - Issac
Carroll - Williams - Horne - McCollough (did not practice, Watkins played his spot) - Younger

Some guy was in the bushes doing something suspicious i.e. filming

Fungi
06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
It sounds like a Ticat fan urinating in the bushes. It could be another Gibsons contest.

Will
06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Was the person filming removed? More importantly, can he be removed?

ArgoGabe22
06-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Was the person filming removed? More importantly, can he be removed?

I think when people are all looking at the same guy he got the message and left. Last year they tried catching the guy on the roof but here I don't think he was chased.

1argoholic
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I'll be in North Cowichan on Vancouver Island on our couch. haha.

Wobbler
06-27-2012, 12:04 AM
According to practice looks like the O is...

Smith-Parenteau-Keeping-Eppele- Van Zeyl
If that's our honest-to-goodness preferred O-Line after the competition of TC and the pre-season, Jeff Keeping is one remarkable dude. He has played tight end, fullback, DT, guard, OT, and now he's our best center (beating out two natural centers and Parenteau, a convert)?! I'm *slightly* less astonished to see Gagne-Marcoux lose his job. I thought he was quite solid at guard, but maybe we just liked the way he teamed with Picard (with whom he had history)?

I'll need a bit more evidence before I believe it, but interesting if true.

Wobbler
06-27-2012, 12:38 AM
In today's post-practice interview (http://t.co/E71VlF3j) Milanovich mentioned that Mann is doubtful and Durie is uncertain for Saturday.

When asked to list his "surprise" players from the pre-season he mentioned Horne, Harris and Bradwell. We all noticed Harris' surprising numbers, but it's nice to hear positive reports from potential trouble spots (our rebuilt secondary and depth/change-of-pace receiving).

KCargosfan
06-27-2012, 05:51 PM
If that's our honest-to-goodness preferred O-Line after the competition of TC and the pre-season, Jeff Keeping is one remarkable dude. He has played tight end, fullback, DT, guard, OT, and now he's our best center (beating out two natural centers and Parenteau, a convert)?! I'm *slightly* less astonished to see Gagne-Marcoux lose his job. I thought he was quite solid at guard, but maybe we just liked the way he teamed with Picard (with whom he had history)?

I'll need a bit more evidence before I believe it, but interesting if true.

That OL scares the hell out of me. Hopefully they will surprise me.

argonaut11xx
06-27-2012, 05:58 PM
That OL scares the hell out of me. Hopefully they will surprise me.

I agree 1 million percent....

All the talk has been about our recievers... did we forget that Ricky Ray can MAKE recievers look good...

BUT if our O-Line sucks, Ricky will be running like a scared cat...and then its doesnt matter if we have the second coming of Terry Greer...the offence will still suck.
(Ray is our biggest asset, and we have done VERY little to protect him)

Look at it this way...you PURCHASE the "hope diamond"-(RAY), put in in the most EXPENSIVE setting you could imagine (the recievers/coaches/etc)...but then had no money left to buy a "safe" to protect it (our SUSPECT O-Line)...

Thats kinda how im feeling right now...(and yes i did exagerate on our recievers)

AngeloV
06-27-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not too worried about the o-line. This offence is designed for the QB to get rid of the ball quickly. That will make an o-line look a lot better, period.

T-Bone
06-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Landry Video Preview (http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/75273)

Wobbler
06-29-2012, 01:01 PM
The depth chart (http://argonauts.ca/depthchart/game/depthid/9651) is up.

- Looks like Keeping really is our starting center (!), although Gagne-Marcoux keeps his job at LG.
- Mann is apparently able to start, which is a bit of a surprise.
- Huntley is also healthy enough, which is good to see.

backer@oldclarke
06-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I'll be in North Cowichan on Vancouver Island on our couch. haha.
LOL and I'll be [on my computer] up here in Campbell River...up Island from Duncan.
Anyway; nice start to the thread there T-Bone, I've got one started in the CFL forum.

gilthethrill
06-29-2012, 01:16 PM
The depth chart (http://argonauts.ca/depthchart/game/depthid/9651) is up.

- Looks like Keeping really is our starting center (!), although Gagne-Marcoux keeps his job at LG.
- Mann is apparently able to start, which is a bit of a surprise.
- Huntley is also healthy enough, which is good to see.

I always wait until I hear Mike Hogan reading the starting lineups just prior to kickoff before I believe the depth chart..it always seems subject to change.

AngeloV
06-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Anybody want to take a guess on the game time scratches?

I'll go with:
Riggs
Desriveaux
Mann or Inman (depending on Mann's health)
Summers (I see Kuale rotating in at end)

paulwoods13
06-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Anybody want to take a guess on the game time scratches?

I'll go with:
Riggs
Desriveaux
Mann or Inman (depending on Mann's health)
Summers (I see Kuale rotating in at end)

This is what I predicted earlier in the week:

One NIP OL (probably Jones)
One IMP DL (probably Summers)
One IMP LB (probably Payton)
One IMP WR or RB (probably Kackert)

Payton seems to have disappeared -- he's not on the depth chart altho still listed on the roster.

I count 22 NIPs and 21 IMPs on the depth chart, so two of each have to come off. I think they will dress seven o-linemen, not eight, and I think Inman will dress for sure because Mann's health is iffy. I predict they sit A Jones, Summers, Kackert (because Riggs is a better cover guy on ST) and one of the three NIP LBs, probably Smith. If Mann can't play, both Kackert and Riggs should dress.

Wobbler
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
...because Riggs is a better cover guy on ST
I do hope that ST ability is factoring into our lineup decisions. Six of our top 10 ST tacklers from last year are no longer on the team, including our captain.

Ballstothewall
06-29-2012, 09:09 PM
EDM 11 Argos 24, attendance 38,356

matchuk
06-29-2012, 10:22 PM
argos 28 eskies 16

1argoholic
06-30-2012, 01:48 AM
I don't know what to expect. I thought Sask would get killed in Ham but they looked great. Hopefully we can follow suit with all of our changes. Let's say TO 27 and Ed 17.

Stevoman
06-30-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic for a win. Lots of emotions and nerves with the game being in Edmonton but I think Ray can overcome all of that. There's a lot of question marks at Receiver, O-Line and our D but another couple of hours and we'll find out more of what we actually have!

1argoholic
06-30-2012, 01:51 PM
If we come out and lay a huge egg I won't be thrilled. I really hope for a win but today just hours away and I'm nervous. I hope our rookies aren't lost out there. So many changes.

argotom
06-30-2012, 01:54 PM
I hope not and the Argos should win, hopefully it won't be another shocker like in the Hammer yesterday.

marcwagz
06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
woot Im so hyped only 5 hours now

i think i have a good feeling
not sure but i think

DanTheFan
06-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I thought the game was yesterday, and realized it wasn't halfway through the work day. Oh well, today is the day! ARRRRRRGOOOOS!!!!

Fungi
06-30-2012, 04:25 PM
MacKinnon: Ray had a suitcase of defining moments with the Eskimos

Former Edmonton QB returns to the scene of his prime

By John MacKinnon, edmontonjournal.com
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/edmonton-eskimos/suitcase+defining+moments+with/6864797/story.html

He’s everything I thought he’d be, and a little bit more,” said Milanovich, who worked with Montreal’s Anthony Calvillo for years as the Alouettes’ offensive co-ordinator. “He’s more accurate than I even thought he would be, his technique is so good.”Ray will apply that to a playbook that borrows from the Als’ short-passing attack, with some Ray favourites from Edmonton and holdovers from the Argos schemes blended into the mix.
It’s ironic that Ray, who suffered in recent years owing to a spotty-to-woeful Eskimos offensive line, will start the season behind an Argos front many see as suspect. Beyond transplanted Eskimo Jason Barnes and Argos holdover Andre Durie, it’s unclear who Ray’s new receiving targets will be. Running back Cory Boyd and slotback Chad Owens are impressive weapons Ray is developing rapport with.
Ray and Milanovich both said the offence remains a work in progress, as you’d expect.
But Milanovich had no hesitation when asked whether he believed Ray is still among the CFL’s top quarterbacks, still in his prime.
“Yes,” Milanovich said. “Absolutely.”
If his line lets him remain on his feet, and Ray manages his emotions, he could deliver a signature performance that could be a defining moment, for good and ill, for both the Argos and Eskimos.

I`m not worried. Another blowout. Argos 42 Shmoes 13

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 07:08 PM
This is what I predicted earlier in the week:

One NIP OL (probably Jones)
One IMP DL (probably Summers)
One IMP LB (probably Payton)
One IMP WR or RB (probably Kackert)

Payton seems to have disappeared -- he's not on the depth chart altho still listed on the roster.

I count 22 NIPs and 21 IMPs on the depth chart, so two of each have to come off. I think they will dress seven o-linemen, not eight, and I think Inman will dress for sure because Mann's health is iffy. I predict they sit A Jones, Summers, Kackert (because Riggs is a better cover guy on ST) and one of the three NIP LBs, probably Smith. If Mann can't play, both Kackert and Riggs should dress.

Huntley, Mann, Riggs and Jones are the scratches.

marcwagz
06-30-2012, 07:15 PM
bad penalties early

Wobbler
06-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks Ravi. I was wondering.

Fungi
06-30-2012, 07:30 PM
bad penalties early
That's an understatement. That's bad coaching. I got reamed big time for penalties. You made sure it never happened again with our coaches. Smarten up Double Blue.

bluto
06-30-2012, 07:30 PM
bad penalties early

4 flags... can't give away field position so cheaply. seemed inevitable that they'd score something when we got backed in there.

defence looked good on first 2 chances out there.

fumble? shite.

bluto
06-30-2012, 07:34 PM
down 6-0 now on flags, fumbles and field possession.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 07:34 PM
We are really beating ourselves right now but the defence is holding its own.

Wobbler
06-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I wasn't impressed with Williams' coverage on the Bowman first down. He scrambled once he noticed that the receiver had made his cut, then never picked up the ball or followed Bowman. Hopefully McCollough is back next week.

Wobbler
06-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Inman!! Nice.

bluto
06-30-2012, 07:38 PM
a receiver makes a play for us? nice!

Dontrelle Inman brings it down.

Eskies doing a good job of stuffing our short game.

bluto
06-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Noel felt left out of the flag-fest...

Holy S! a flag on the Eskies! (declined of course...)

bluto
06-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Williams misses a coverage/tackle and Bowman scrambles down the right...

Esks threatening again

...and a Williams offside gives the Eskies another shot at goal. TD Charles.

bluto
06-30-2012, 08:08 PM
need to get on the scoreboard before the half...

sloppy play is really making these Eskies look better than they are

Fungi
06-30-2012, 08:11 PM
They're stuffing Boyd. Good rush defence. I saw results throwing long. That opens up the short runs. Really bad penalties. Our o needs to be on the field longer. D will need a break.

bluto
06-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Owens grabs a catch off the turf... then they let him scamper to the 3 yard line!

challenge thrown... replay looks good so far...

Owens has his hands under it but Forde is saying no-catch... it STANDS!

thank you Jake Ireland!

bluto
06-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Ray thinks fast on his feet and finds Boyd... TOUCHDOWN

jerrym
06-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Ray-Owens-Boyd-TD. The present and the future.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 08:33 PM
There was no indication that Owens did not catch that ball. It bugged me when Forde said that the Argos got a break on that one.

Anyway, despite a turnover deep in their own end plus far too many penalties, the Argos only trail by 6. If they can clean up their mistakes, there is no reason why they can't come out of Edmonton with two points.

bluto
06-30-2012, 08:36 PM
There was no indication that Owens did not catch that ball. It bugged me when Forde said that the Argos got a break on that one.

Anyway, despite a turnover deep in their own end plus far too many penalties, the Argos only trail by 6. If they can clean up their mistakes, there is no reason why they can't come out of Edmonton with two points.

same for me Ravi. Forde really ticked me off there.

if the sloppy play and flags are done, there could be a comeback in the works.

OV Argo
06-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Not many positives so far, but not real bad anyhow.

Superb, beautiful catch by Inman - throw more to this guy.

Not going much to Durie - but he make 2 fine runs when they get the ball to him.

Pretty well as i expected from Milllanovich on O & a Jones D; works in progress, but hopefully both the O & D gel more with more playing time; little effort to establish a run game with Boyd = standard CFL stuff - stop the run early and teams will abandon the run 9 times out of ten (likely a higher percentage - 97 times out of a hundred? ;o)) At least the D is not getting torched or anything, but an iffy arm QB in Jyles has a pretty decent completion percentage - not enough pass rush pressure, and DBs missing some tackles.

bluto
06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Jyles' "iffy arm" looked okay on that strike to Bowman, OV

OV Argo
06-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Jyles' "iffy arm" looked okay on that strike to Bowman, OV

Jyles may have a strong arm - but his CFL play evidence suggests ultra iffy in terms of accuracy or decision making.

argotom
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Without Owens in the first half, we would be working on a donut right now.

argotom
06-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Oh oh, I may have spoken too early.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Prefontaine has to do better than that.

bluto
06-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Owens drops an easy 6... Pre shanks a 35 yarder...

we're killing ourselves here.

(the PI call was pretty weak though, must admit)

Fungi
06-30-2012, 09:13 PM
At least they've got Rickey throwing some real balls.

Fungi
06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Rickey definitely doesn't have a go to guy. That end zone drop is inexcusable for a pro.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Still only an 11 point game but we need some players to step up and make some plays. We have really only had one big play all game.

Argocister
06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Thats better PRE! He has to feel some competition with his student Shaw.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 09:24 PM
No penalty against Dales there???

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 09:32 PM
This is the second year in a row that we have gotten a crap game out of our kicker in Edmonton. Last year, it was Shaw.

Fungi
06-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Let Rickey throw the ball....and there better be repurcussions for the brain deads who got penalties and took points off the board. And more than just an extra lap.

Argocister
06-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Lets hope the decision of the Esks to decline the penalty comes back to haunt them

Fungi
06-30-2012, 09:43 PM
C'mon Ravi...you need more posts...I can't believe Bluto has more achievements than you...Especially that guy with a hat. Why don't you have an icon of a guy with a hat?
One more quarter...OK...it won't be a blow out.

marcwagz
06-30-2012, 09:48 PM
that was an interesting snap

marcwagz
06-30-2012, 09:56 PM
darn it ray
Durie was wide open as open can be on that last drive

Argocister
06-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Centre over the top..... they know that too well.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 10:06 PM
We gave Edmonton this %$#&*^** game.

294life
06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
wow. what a stinkbomb this game was.

argos1873
06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Not liking the O line tonight. There weren't too many plays where they didn't seem to be overpowered.

marcwagz
06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Boyd had 10 catches tonight for 8 yards... Why?
Because we had him doing some stupid, run 2 yards to the side and catch the ball standing still thing. It totally takes away Boyds ability to run with speed and power if he already has someone on him before he can start moving

He's not a reciever he's a running back I mean come on...

bluto
06-30-2012, 10:13 PM

mental errors all over the place. awful penalties.

i suppose you'd expect a certain amount of that with so many new Argos... many of whom are new to the league

credit the Esks for executing their gameplan: take away Cory Boyd

shame we wasted some golden opportunites (holding call that was inconsequential to execution but cost a beaut of a TD, Younger makes a highlight reel pick and we fail to capitalize, Pre's shaking accuracy on the night and a badly shanked punt)

plenty of glimmers there though... Ray, Owens and Durie all looked good (as did Barnes... and Inman made a nice grab)...

glad that we won't be playing on grass again... tired of watching our skill players slipping on every second play

argotom
06-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Boy you hate to be critical, but there was no imagination on that last drive.
Very vanilla play calling?

1argoholic
06-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Firstly RIGHT ON RAVI you sound like me there. It looked horrible and my wife is already fed up with me and we've played one game. I was actually pretty calm all in all. Too many changes and your watching the result. How many DUMB ASSED penalties did we have? It would be nice to have a couple of star receivers and more CFL experience on this team. Pre you looked like SHITE and I love Pre as a player and personally he's a great guy. We can't lay it all on Pre though as for the first half it looked like last year or the two previous years.

Let's all cheer for Calgary tomorrow so that next week will be like week one in the east. Plus I'll be cheering for the Stamp anyhow.

I really hope we don't have another shite year. Too many changes scare me.

bluto
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Not liking the O line tonight. There weren't too many plays where they didn't seem to be overpowered.

disagree. they bought enough time to creating something almost every play...

some pundits were expecting them to be a cluster-f... for a brand new line, in their first game together, on slippery grass, i wasn't discouraged by them.

OV Argo
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM

Really? - the Esks have the way better D at this point IMO; and that combined with Shaw out-kicking Pre was the difference IMO.

Very solid, entertaining game IMO - love to see a close game that goes down to the wire.

Argos' O needs a rethink after even one game IMO - get wayyyyyyyyy more run game going and throw the ball down field more - sick of dink & dunk same old CFL offence look - not sure Millanovich would agree though; O-line held up decent - especially OTs; interior 3 was weak (Gagne-Marcoux got back in some 2nd half; give St-Pierre a shot at C). D looks kinda iffy IMO; boy - good thing this Ball guy was at OLB over playing Eiben there - frickin' laughable; Summers one bright spot along with the great pick by Younger.

argotom
06-30-2012, 10:17 PM
The 3rd down gamble, why not call a timeout first.
Then the throw, it was a crossing route and for what half the needed distance?

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 10:18 PM
The one piece of good news is that we have won our opener in three of the last four years and have a combined record of 13-41 in those three seasons while the one year that we didn't win our opener, we went 9-9 and made the East Final.

paulwoods13
06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
The good news: despite 100 penalties, a dropped TD pass, two missed field goals and many, many other mistakes, this game was winnable. The defence got stronger as the game progressed, especially Summers, McCune and Ball (altho the latter made a weak attempted arm tackle on a big gainer down the sideline). The QB is definitely the best we have had in at least seven seasons, and will improve as he gets a deeper understanding of the offence and is ale to progress through his secondary options without so many check-offs to the back.

The bad news: o-line looked really, really weak, even -- hell, especially -- when we had seven o-linemen in in double tight end formation. We have got to get that area cleaned up, and quickly. And there is still no definitive go-to receiver. All four starters showed flashes, but I don't know if any of them will be the guy.

The ugly: 2,000 penalties -- every one of them deserved, to my eyes. Milanovich has to start preaching discipline immediately.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Really? - the Esks have the way better D at this point IMO; and that combined with Shaw out-kicking Pre was the difference IMO.

Very solid, entertaining game IMO - love to see a close game that goes down to the wire.

Argos' O needs a rethink after even one game IMO - get wayyyyyyyyy more run game going and throw the ball down field more - sick of dink & dunk same old CFL offence look - not sure Millanovich would agree though; O-line held up decent - especially OTs; interior 3 was weak (Gagne-Marcoux got back in some 2nd half; give St-Pierre a shot at C). D looks kinda iffy IMO; boy - good thing this Ball guy was at OLB over playing Eiben there - frickin' laughable; Summers one bright spot along with the great pick by Younger.

I thought that the Toronto defence looked pretty good, especially with nine new starters. Ball had some problems with offside penalties but looks promising. It isn't like Eiben had a great game for the Ticats last night either, OV. When I say that we gave away the game, we took far too many penalties that the Esks did not force like numerous offsides and a too many men on the field penalty and you can't miss two short field goals like Prefontaine did. We threw away five points there alone and lost only by four. On top of that, Owens missed a perfectly thrown ball in the endzone that should have been a TD (Prefontaine missed one of his short FG attempts two plays later). This was a game for the taking and we blew it. The only consolation at this point is that Hamilton and Winnipeg also have lost this weekend. We have to win games starting next week though. I have never subscribed to the baloney about the season not really starting until after Labour Day. You need to win games early on in the season, in the middle of the season and at the end of the season.

argos1873
06-30-2012, 10:27 PM

some pundits were expecting them to be a cluster-f... for a brand new line, in their first game together, on slippery grass, i wasn't discouraged by them.

Well I agree to disagree. I didn't think they were a cluster-f, but from what I saw they didn't give Ray enough time on many plays. I will add, I don't think they were the sole reason for the loss, penalties (some OL however) and missed catches and Field Goals were also to blame, I think they had a fairly major role in the loss. I don't blame them much since they are basically new though.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Boyd had 10 catches tonight for 8 yards... Why?
Because we had him doing some stupid, run 2 yards to the side and catch the ball standing still thing. It totally takes away Boyds ability to run with speed and power if he already has someone on him before he can start moving

He's not a reciever he's a running back I mean come on...

He can be an effective receiver if you put him in space which the Argos failed to do tonight. They have the right idea about using him as a receiver in addition to being a running back though but they have to execute better.

Argocister
06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
16 penalties.....that can be improved.
2 missed field goals...... that will be improved.... Pre's percentage success is high so all future kicks will have to balanc out this game.
O-Line .....for the running game needs to improve
The problem is that the Esks D had the answer to the Argos plays..... which means other teams will also have the answer.
Hopefully, Horne is fine....... and the D improves

ArgoGabe22
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Who would have thought it wasn't Ray vs Jyles but Shaw vs Prefontaine. We won the first game last year and look how that season ended, I would rather lose in the beginning than at the end. At least we're all tied with 0 points.

tc23
06-30-2012, 10:35 PM
What was that ! Ray is suppost the second coming of Christ ! He looks like a
chicken with his head cut off http://www.argofans.com/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Looks like Edmonton got
the better of that trade with the kicking game and Jyles looked Great !!

larz-7
06-30-2012, 10:37 PM
one thing i did notice is are receivers made those catches that all other teams made last year but us

1argoholic
06-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I thought Milanovich was preaching the NO PENALTY SHITE from day one of camp. This was a friggin joke. I've said that we've had way too many changes to even thing of being in Grey Cup 100. The TSN panel was talkning about Ray being comfortable by Labour Day. Holy Shite if that's the case we're last place in the friggin league.

Personally I think it could easily go either way for us. We could start to get it and improve or it could be a gong show like the first half and we could hit the skids bigtime. Way too many changes and it's like kindergarten for so many rookies learning the CFL game. As I said before we spent all this coin of Ray and expect him to lead us to the Grey Cup when we have such a lack of CFL experience.

1argoholic
06-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Yah they put him out to dry. Man it looked horrible the way they used him. Get him the ball with ahead of steam so he can run people over not while standing still so they can grab him by his ankles and tacle him for squat.

tc23
06-30-2012, 10:49 PM
I think the play book is too complexed, the coach has to simplfy is, players looked confused, causing way to many penalties. Owens had several drops, great wheels, but not a recieiver.
Kicking game lost the game for Argos !!!

ArgoGabe22
06-30-2012, 10:51 PM
A lot of people are quick to blame the coach. I was listening to the radio after the ti-cat game and every single fan who called in complained about Cortez and his staff and not about the DBs failing to stop Dressler or the dropped passes by the receivers. I'm not targeting anyone but a coach can preach all he wants and its really down to the players at the end of the day. Pre missed a FG, Chad dropped one, Watts td called back has nothing to do with coaching. Once again i'm not replying to anyone, I'm just saying this because I'm tired of hearing fans off the forum complain about coaching.

I don't mind a screen or two but 10 catches? If its not working don't go back to it unless the recievers aren't open at all, its hard to see with TSN's camera view.

larz-7
06-30-2012, 10:54 PM
I thought Milanovich was preaching the NO PENALTY SHITE from day one of camp. This was a friggin joke. I've said that we've had way too many changes to even thing of being in Grey Cup 100. The TSN panel was talkning about Ray being comfortable by Labour Day. Holy Shite if that's the case we're last place in the friggin league.

Personally I think it could easily go either way for us. We could start to get it and improve or it could be a gong show like the first half and we could hit the skids bigtime. Way too many changes and it's like kindergarten for so many rookies learning the CFL game. As I said before we spent all this coin of Ray and expect him to lead us to the Grey Cup when we have such a lack of CFL experience.
to me it really is an easy fix.our OC needs to realise his system worked with AC but may not with anyone else.under bad OC our run game worked mix it with with this offence and we could be unstopable

argotom
06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Maybe Milanovich needs to relinquish perhaps the OC duties to Maas so he can concentrate more on the HC responsibilities?

I sure hope the offensive scheme opens up in the coming weeks from the dinks and dunks mentality?

marcwagz
06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
chicken with his head cut off http://www.argofans.com/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Looks like Edmonton got

Ray was 31-41 for 302 yards...
he lost but put up more offence than jyles
he also rushed more yards than jyles too

tc23
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Ray was 31-41 for 302 yards...
he lost but put up more offence than jyles
he also rushed more yards than jyles too

Grant shaw was perfect kicking'

Prefontaine was brutal !

gilthethrill
06-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Well, in a league were kicking is crucial, you cannot afford to miss two short attempts when trailing on the road. Pre has always had a tendancy to miss the easy ones then make a long one.
That being said, penalties, penalties penalties. You can't give up the length of the field + in flags & expect to win. As for the defence, they allowed one touchdown, job well done. As for Ray, I think he will give this team a chance to win each time out.
The new uniforms are nice too.

AngeloV
06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
I would say that the only pass in which Boyd was the primary receiver was on the TD. The rest were pure check downs, IMO related to poor protection from the o-line. I agree with Ravi, that they need to get him the ball in space more.

gilthethrill
06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't mind a screen or two but 10 catches? If its not working don't go back to it unless the recievers aren't open at all, its hard to see with TSN's camera view.

TSN does have room for improvement when it comes to camera view..perhaps it is where the camera bays are located in CFL stadiums.

dmont
06-30-2012, 11:29 PM

I turned on the game with 10:00 to go in the 2nd. I think I missed the worst of the Argos' play, so maybe that's why I thought it went ok.

For once, I don't think the Argos displayed any systematic problems. The penalties and dropped passes had the look of kinks that need to be ironed out, and if we stick to the game plan, hopefully will be by the time these games really start to matter.

Analysts were saying how much time the secondary would need to gel, but I thought they looked pretty good, or at least ahead-of-schedule.

From what I saw of Ricky, he looked good, all things considered. He and his receivers improved with each play, and he seemed able to find OPEN receivers (I can't remember the last time I saw open argonauts receivers!). I liked Owens' play (minus his dropped TD), but I hope he stays more of a role player on offense rather than an every-down receiver. We need him as a KR.

I'd like to see the DL improve, although I think it was the new guys I saw showing some good flashes.

Other posters have pointed out the problems on the O-line, and I agree that they didnt give Cory much to work with. Their play on the run must improve, plain and simple. Hopefully, as Ray builds more of a repoir with the receivers, it'll leave fewer defenders inside.

Overall, it could have been a lot worse, and I'm cautiously optimistic.

gilthethrill
06-30-2012, 11:35 PM

Looks like Edmonton got

I think Christ would have had trouble directing an efficient offence with those penalties tonight too...Ray looked better than Hank...way better :)

KCargosfan
06-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Second year in a row Pre blows the game in Edmonton? I didn't get to see the game, but that's what it kind of sounds like.

RoRoYoBoat
06-30-2012, 11:51 PM
He can be an effective receiver if you put him in space which the Argos failed to do tonight. They have the right idea about using him as a receiver in addition to being a running back though but they have to execute better.

I don't quite understand what went on there. Trestman's offense the running back is cutting across the grain and catching the ball in stride, the only time he sits in a shallow zone is if the linebackers are blitzing and relies on the slots blocking. This was terrible use of a premier weapon and Boyd was clearly frustrated with this.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Second year in a row Pre blows the game in Edmonton? I didn't get to see the game, but that's what it kind of sounds like.

Shaw was the one who had the rough game last year as Pre missed that game due to injury. It is too bad that Shaw couldn't have turned in a similar performance tonight. Strange things seem to happen to the Argos in Edmonton.

RoRoYoBoat
07-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Ray did plenty to win this game. If you want to lay blame, lay it on these guys.

Noel: Missed two short field goals. one ilegal punt.

Johnson: Fumbled in his own zone.

Marcus Ball: 3 0r 4 penalties

Olinesman negated a touchdown with a hold

Owens: dropped a sure TD. Made a selfish decision at the goal line.

Dline put no pressure on Jyles

1argoholic
07-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Too many new players happened to the Argos in Edmonton. I think it might be another year of watching games get away in stupid ways. Millanovich was all about not taking penalties and that's all we did all night long. I thought we might win 5 or 6 games and then I thought perhaps maybe more. Well if we continue playing like that 5 or 6 will be bang on.

tc23
07-01-2012, 12:38 AM
I think Christ would have had trouble directing an efficient offence with those penalties tonight too...Ray looked better than Hank...way better :)

Burris went 29 for 37 for 289 yards with several drops and 3 carries for 22 yards, and a touch down called back.

Ray did plenty to win this game. If you want to lay blame, lay it on these guys.

Noel: Missed two short field goals. one ilegal punt.

Johnson: Fumbled in his own zone.

Marcus Ball: 3 0r 4 penalties

Olinesman negated a touchdown with a hold

Owens: dropped a sure TD. Made a selfish decision at the goal line.

Dline put no pressure on Jyles

Malonavich play calling.

1argoholic
07-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Not sure how Owens get blame with the such heart and 340 all purpose yards. I think the db got a finger on that almost td pass. Penalties killed us. Ray had a great great all in all. I still don't think Barker did enough in finding talent to play with Ricky. We still don't have a legit CFL star receiver. The year is still a real crap shoot.

ArgoFan1
07-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Penalties killed us and some of them were pure phantom calls. The only thing that really annoys me is the same stupid old Argo play calling on the final drive.. after throwing some nice long balls throughout the game, they get to a do or die situation in the final minute and they throw two straight 3 yard passes !! That is the thing that annoyed me more than anything the past three season. 3rd down and 7 yards needed.... it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you throw the ball to someone who is at least 8 yards down the field !!! It's do or die !!! If this is our offence, we are in for a repeat of last season.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Penalties killed us and some of them were pure phantom calls. The only thing that really annoys me is the same stupid old Argo play calling on the final drive.. after throwing some nice long balls throughout the game, they get to a do or die situation in the final minute and they throw two straight 3 yard passes !! That is the thing that annoyed me more than anything the past three season. 3rd down and 7 yards needed.... it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you throw the ball to someone who is at least 8 yards down the field !!! It's do or die !!! If this is our offence, we are in for a repeat of last season.

There are multiple options on each play call. It isn't like Milanovich is ordering the offence to run a three yard play. Ray has multiple options and picks one.

argolio
07-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Boy you hate to be critical, but there was no imagination on that last drive.
Very vanilla play calling?I saw enough imagination. Esks experience on D showed through and they played great when they really had to.

Overall, I'm disappointed but not disillusioned. Considering the slow start, penalties, o-line breakdowns, penalties, poor kicking game, penalties, so many new players, and more penalties, losing by only four on the road with a chance to win in the end showed real character.

Owens had a great game.

The D, though it had a few breakdowns, looked fast, aggressive, and turned what looked like might have been some longer Eskimo gains into shorter ones. That didn't happen much last year.

I have zero worries with Ray as our QB this season. If the rest of the team develops, we can have a successful season.

And let's not forget that we were 1-0 this time last year. No need to panic.

gilthethrill
07-01-2012, 06:04 AM
I saw enough imagination. Esks experience on D showed through and they played great when they really had to.

Overall, I'm disappointed but not disillusioned. Considering the slow start, penalties, o-line breakdowns, penalties, poor kicking game, penalties, so many new players, and more penalties, losing by only four on the road with a chance to win in the end showed real character.

Owens had a great game.

The D, though it had a few breakdowns, looked fast, aggressive, and turned what looked like might have been some longer Eskimo gains into shorter ones. That didn't happen much last year.

I have zero worries with Ray as our QB this season. If the rest of the team develops, we can have a successful season.

And let's not forget that we were 1-0 this time last year. No need to panic.

argolio you forgot to mention the penalties.....ha ha. I agree, the Eskimo defence played well, taking Boyd out of the game.

tc23
07-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Edmontons defencive coor. had Ricky Ray confused all night, my game ball goes to Edmontons Defence !!

paulwoods13
07-01-2012, 07:31 AM
I would say that the only pass in which Boyd was the primary receiver was on the TD. The rest were pure check downs, IMO related to poor protection from the o-line. I agree with Ravi, that they need to get him the ball in space more.

That is bang-on -- he did not have enough time to let downfield guys get open, chose to dump it off to a playmaker rather than risk a sack. The Eskimos defended those dump-offs really well -- Argos definitely need to get more space around the guys underneath.

Will
07-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Too many new players happened to the Argos in Edmonton. I think it might be another year of watching games get away in stupid ways. Millanovich was all about not taking penalties and that's all we did all night long. I thought we might win 5 or 6 games and then I thought perhaps maybe more. Well if we continue playing like that 5 or 6 will be bang on.

Panicking already I see.

Will
07-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I'll preface this by saying I didn't watch the game, I'm in Montreal and as much as I love the Argos, I also love downtown Montreal.

A pretty frustrating game to lose 19-15! The Eskimos D must've played a very effective game taking Boyd out of the equation. I guess that also provided them with the opportunity to do just enough to neutralize Ricky Ray when they needed to. Were the penalties the Argos took ones that negated any big plays by the O? What's frustrating I guess to have heard about this was that penalties didn't seem to be a significant factor in the pre-season, but now it rears it's ugly head? Those problems are correctable I guess. How was the pressure from the D-line on Jyles? I saw that the Argos had no sacks yesterday. It didn't seem that the Eskimos running game did very much. I heard from reading the game thread here that the HB Williams was exposed yesterday a bit? I think he was penciled in as the starter before Watkins was who replaced McCullough.

paulwoods13
07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Burris went 29 for 37 for 289 yards with several drops and 3 carries for 22 yards, and a touch down called back.

And Ray went 29-for-39, 298 yards, with one massive drop and another TD pass called back because of a penalty. Those two plays go the other way, he's looking at something like 31-for-40, 350 yards, three TDs. Nonetheless, I think it's fair to say that neither Burris nor Ray significantly outperformed one another in Week 1. Bottom line is they weren't playing each other anyway.

gilthethrill
07-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Am I overstating that Pre missed two easy FG's? Those two plays really hurt.

jerrym
07-01-2012, 09:21 AM
10 outlet passes to Boyd for 8 yards means the offensive line was unable to consistently provide protection for longer passes by Ray. This needs to improve if the Argos are to have a successful season.

jerrym
07-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Once again the Argos did not use Durie enough (0 rushes) when the Eskimos were obviously keying on Boyd, although he caught 4 passes. They need to force other teams to think abut Durie as a rb to take the pressure off Boyd.

Scottish_Argo
07-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Way too conservative , Boyd was left looking awful .

Scottish_Argo
07-01-2012, 09:33 AM
It took a while for the Argos to get into the game i felt Milanovich was playing too conservative but towards the end things started opening up and we finally started to use more of the field .

I don't think we got the best usage of Boyd as we would of liked too. Some of Ray's sacks there were WR's open but lets not forget the game was surrounded with the whole Ray back to Eskimos cloud which may of played on his head a bit .

I think it was 31/41 302 Yds and 1TD Ray went for , thats pretty damn impressive for going back to face your former team for in the 1st game of the season.

Im sure things will

paulwoods13
07-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I think it was 31/41 302 Yds and 1TD Ray went for , thats pretty damn impressive for going back to face your former team for in the 1st game of the season.

Those are the numbers TSN showed on post-game coverage, but the official stats line is 29/39-298. It's up on cfl.ca. TSN keeps its own unofficial stats during the game but they usually vary slightly from the official numbers.

tc23
07-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Those are the numbers TSN showed on post-game coverage, but the official stats line is 29/39-298. It's up on cfl.ca. TSN keeps its own unofficial stats during the game but they usually vary slightly from the official numbers.

minus the Owens non catch that went for 52 yards so 298 minus 52 = 246 !!

Scottish_Argo
07-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Oh right thanks , TSN should get it right .....though the TSN numbers seem better :)

paulwoods13
07-01-2012, 10:29 AM
minus the Owens non catch that went for 52 yards so 298 minus 52 = 246 !!

Nice to see that all it took was Game 1 for the trolls to emerge.

doubleblue
07-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Disappointing game. The penalties can be cleaned up in time. The O-Line has to be improved some how. But with all the negatives I still came away with the thought that the Argos are the better team and will prove it over the long haul. Edmonton was just hanging on at the end trying get the two points.
I see Edmonton finishing fourth in the west. Argo second in the east.

Stevoman
07-01-2012, 11:14 AM
16 penalties is inexcusable. 2 for 4 on field goals is inexcusable. Dropped ball in the endzone, inexcusable. These are things that will not continue all season. We will be fine.

tc23
07-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Well seriously, with all the Hype of Ray. You have to be a little disappoimted. I was expecting him to rack it up like he did in 2005 !

bluto
07-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Well seriously, with all the Hype of Ray. You have to be a little disappoimted. I was expecting him to rack it up like he did in 2005 !

you're right... a 300 yard game in a brand new offence is just plain crap. string him up!

YCNMIU

Hollaway
07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I was a bit disappointed as well, kicking game was horrible, 16 penalties, offence struggled, but one good thing I thought, was the defence, they were solid, I don't understand why they got rid of Grant Shaw, now we have a 38 year old kicker who can't kick anymore.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I was a bit disappointed as well, kicking game was horrible, 16 penalties, offence struggled, but one good thing I thought, was the defence, they were solid, I don't understand why they got rid of Grant Shaw, now we have a 38 year old kicker who can't kick anymore.

They had to move Shaw to get Ray. I like Shaw a lot but that trade doesn't happen without him. The Esks weren't going to go with Jyles and a first rounder alone for Ray. And sending Prefontaine and his sizable salary back to Edmonton wasn't going to happen. Prefontaine's FG kicking has never been better over the last couple of years so hopefully last night was just a blip.

I'll preface this by saying I didn't watch the game, I'm in Montreal and as much as I love the Argos, I also love downtown Montreal.

Understandable. I love downtown Montreal myself.

Were the penalties the Argos took ones that negated any big plays by the O?

A beautiful TD pass to Spencer Watt in the fourth quarter was called back due to a holding penalty on Jonathan St-Pierre who was playing tight end. If St-Pierre hadn't dragged his defender down though, Ray likely doesn't get that pass off. What really stung was Prefontaine hitting the upright a couple of plays later on a short FG attempt. Even if he had missed it more and gotten a point out of it, we would have been in a position where we only needed a FG at the end to tie the game and force OT.

1argoholic
07-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Well my biggest worries all showed up yesterday. You have a very rookie filled team that is going to take time to grow. You still have recievers that are having trouble getting open. Then Watt gets open for a nice td and it's called back. The O line looked like clowns at a bad circus for plenty of the night. They are going to take time to grow together. I don't think Boyd will work as your check down guy. That was obvious. He doesn't have that fast burst from a dead stop. He looked like a poor calf at the Calgary Stampede most of the night. We've seen this play out game in and game out for how many years now. You need experience and with the turn over we have year in and year out how do you get that. The thing that bummed me the most was that Milanovich stressed all training camp about ZERO penalties and obviously that was blown out of the water. Also perhaps some of these rookie D guys under estimated the talent and speed up here in the great white north. WOW did some guys take real bad tackling lines and were made to look like bambi on ice. Finally I don't blame Ray but holy crap Ricky howmany years did you play in Edmonton? Think you'd know what type of shoes to wear. How many times did Ray slip while dropping back?
Finally Commonwealth folks do something about the friggin track beyond the endzones before someone has a career ended. Roll out some bloody padding. Watkins was it could have broked a wrist with the way he slipped at full speed and fell backwards landing on his hands.

GO STAMPS GO! If my second favorite team wins look at the bright side we'll be tied for first in the east. Looks like it's going to be a wild and crazy 2012.

Wobbler
07-01-2012, 02:20 PM
One positive: I thought Keeping did a good job at center. There were no problems with the snap at all, and I didn't notice him getting beaten by Edmonton's pass rush.

One negative: Because Keeping is now our center he isn't available to play TE, so we're forced to put Jonathan St. Pierre out there. Yeesh. That might be acceptable on a short yardage plunge, but JSP is much too slow to be a competent TE in pass protection.

I'm concerned about our depth at OL. Neither Jones nor St. Pierre is worth dressing, IMHO. It seems as though we're just crossing our fingers and A) hoping everyone stays healthy and B) Holmes and/or Reinders shows up in September.

1argoholic
07-01-2012, 02:22 PM
No panic but hell more pissed off. How can your coach stress no penalties for weeks during camp and then you come out and take a ton. It just sucks the life out of a team. I hope our rookies can develop fast. It takes more than a few games to learn our league. The next few weeks are extemely important. If we continue with the same habits it could be a long year.

Stevoman
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=1argoholic;9325}

GO STAMPS GO! If my second favorite team wins look at the bright side we'll be tied for first in the east. Looks like it's going to be a wild and crazy 2012.[/QUOTE]

Next week should be a fun one for you!

DanTheFan
07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Anybody notice this piece of news regarding Andre Proulx?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=399721

(http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=399721) Supposedly he'll return to action in a few weeks.

Fungi
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Not a surprise of course. I'll never understand the infatuation TC fans have with Argo forums. It's almost always either trolling or looking for money. Believe me, I give money to charities big time.
The Argo facebook page is evidence. I don't know how many times I look it up and there's another TC fan Typing in "Argos suck"...Giggle, giggle...Sigh...I don't get it.
And if any one has a problem with what I just said...Don't PM me. Man up and say it!

argolio
07-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Anybody notice this piece of news regarding Andre Proulx?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=399721

(http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=399721) Supposedly he'll return to action in a few weeks.Good to hear he'll be okay. He's one of the best refs in the league.

T-Bone
07-01-2012, 10:32 PM

Commonwealth Stadium has had FieldTurf since 2010.

jerrym
07-01-2012, 10:45 PM
I hope Andre Proulx recovers completely from his game-time heart attack and returns to action soon. Being a referee is hard enough without that.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Good to hear he'll be okay. He's one of the best refs in the league.

I agree, Argolio. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mr. Proulx.

Rich
07-02-2012, 02:56 AM
One positive: I thought Keeping did a good job at center. There were no problems with the snap at all, and I didn't notice him getting beaten by Edmonton's pass rush.

I thought I saw Keeping get beat badly a couple of times. The O-line definitely needs quick improvement, but I also think Coach M's new system hasn't quite sunk in yet and needs more time. It sure looked like there was some confusion with assignments on those pathetic running attempts.

Rich
07-02-2012, 03:10 AM

I'm excited about this defence. There's definitely more closing speed than there was last year. Our CBs and OLBs were right on top of those receivers in the flat as soon as they got the ball. Ball took some bad penalties but was all over the field, closing in on the ball carriers a lot faster than Kevin Eiben can. He and Kuale are gonna cause a lot of offences some grief this year. Did Pottinger play at all?

Rich
07-02-2012, 03:27 AM
Once again the Argos did not use Durie enough (0 rushes) when the Eskimos were obviously keying on Boyd, although he caught 4 passes. They need to force other teams to think abut Durie as a rb to take the pressure off Boyd.

Surely they could have used Durie as the check down guy, why not mix it up a bit? Some of those unsuccessful dumps to Boyd can be attributed to Ray throwing it to the wrong shoulder and not leading him properly, a timing issue, but then again Ray was running for his life most of the time so he can't really be blamed.

Speaking of mixing it up a little bit, why does Ray line up in shotgun formation 100% of the time? Shotgun is really better suited to the more mobile QB with quick feet who can change direction quickly. What's wrong with letting a dropback passer play his own game once in a while? The running game is much more effective when the QB is under centre, since the RB has some momentum when he takes the ball. It's a mystery why we don't do it.

This is yet another example of that same-old same-old CFL groupthink that my friend OV rails so eloquently about. Somewhere somebody decides that QB's just don't line up under centre in the CFL, and so nobody does it, nobody's got the stones to run an "unconventional" offence in the CFL.

paulwoods13
07-02-2012, 06:44 AM
This is yet another example of that same-old same-old CFL groupthink that my friend OV rails so eloquently about. Somewhere somebody decides that QB's just don't line up under centre in the CFL, and so nobody does it, nobody's got the stones to run an "unconventional" offence in the CFL.

I basically agree wih this. The Run and Shoot offence the Argos ran in 1982 and '83 was a very innovative and successful offence, and they never ran it out of the 'gun because everything was timed to the number of steps the QB would take dropping back or rolling out. Be interesting to see teams go back to mixing it up, putting the QB under centre at least on occasion.

ArgoRavi
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I basically agree wih this. The Run and Shoot offence the Argos ran in 1982 and '83 was a very innovative and successful offence, and they never ran it out of the 'gun because everything was timed to the number of steps the QB would take dropping back or rolling out. Be interesting to see teams go back to mixing it up, putting the QB under centre at least on occasion.

Mike Kelly did have his QBs operate under centre for the first half or so of his one season as Winnipeg head coach but he eventually abandoned that due to his team's struggles. It is interesting how it has evolved to every QB being in shotgun on every play. I remember Chris Isaac being one of the first to do this with Ottawa back in 1982 and the idea was that it would be easier for him to read defences from there and he would get that extra bit of time to get rid of the ball. Other than Kelly's experiment in Winnipeg, does anyone remember when the tipping point was for the shotgun to be used the majority of the time?

ArgoRavi
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm excited about this defence. There's definitely more closing speed than there was last year. Our CBs and OLBs were right on top of those receivers in the flat as soon as they got the ball. Ball took some bad penalties but was all over the field, closing in on the ball carriers a lot faster than Kevin Eiben can. He and Kuale are gonna cause a lot of offences some grief this year. Did Pottinger play at all?

Pottinger is injured and did not dress on Saturday. I believe that it is expected that he will be back in the lineup against Calgary.

QBall
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Penalties and Prefontaine were brutal but I'll chalk it up to first game jitters. These are things the coaching staff can fix (well I can only hope with Prefontaine). I thought Chad Kackert had an okay day. He's the guy I'm hoping will break out this year. I guess the best news is all the teams in the east lost this weekend, so this loss really means nothing in the east's standings since everyone is still at zero.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8