PDA

View Full Version : Pre Season Game Thread: Toronto Argonauts @ Ottawa Redblacks; May 27, 2022

Will
05-20-2022, 11:16 AM
I am uncertain what the TV plans are for this game (if any), but anyways this is the first Argos pre-season game outside of the Golden Horseshoe since 2016.

argolio
05-20-2022, 02:23 PM
TSN shows it as a televised game.

gilthethrill
05-20-2022, 07:11 PM
I am uncertain what the TV plans are for this game (if any), but anyways this is the first Argos pre-season game outside of the Golden Horseshoe since 2016.

Did Guelph not hold a preseason game between the Argos and Redblacks in 2018? I seem to recall Trestman electing not to play any starters in the pre season and seeing many prominent Argos roaming the campus during the game.

Mike Hogan
05-20-2022, 07:20 PM
Yes there was. I remember that night as I was hired by the team a couple of days later. LOL

ArgoGabe22
05-20-2022, 08:12 PM
Did Guelph not hold a preseason game between the Argos and Redblacks in 2018? I seem to recall Trestman electing not to play any starters in the pre season and seeing many prominent Argos roaming the campus during the game.

And Braylon Addison had a good game IIRC. #00?

Will
05-21-2022, 08:31 PM
Doesn't Guelph count as the Golden Horseshoe?

gilthethrill
05-21-2022, 09:10 PM
Doesn't Guelph count as the Golden Horseshoe?

I lived in Wellington County most of my life. I never heard it being a part of the Golden Horseshoe.

Will
05-22-2022, 08:12 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">May 22 schedule:<br><br>Double Blue Game 7:30pm - 9:00pm</p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts Media Relations (@ArgonautsMR) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArgonautsMR/status/1528195205912055809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 22, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
05-26-2022, 06:08 PM
https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/the-argos-release-preseason-depth-chart-while-awaiting-uncertain-game-status/?feed_id=1700&_unique_id=628fba1800481

There is a tentative depth chart listed for tomorrow's game. Pipkin will get the start with Kelly and Simmons in support. The receiving corps has Ambles, Worthy and Edwards starting and they are guys who may be factoring in for a starting job. Curious to see Oakman start at DT though.

Will
05-27-2022, 07:24 PM
Fortunately, this Argos game is not being played in the GTA.

dmont
05-27-2022, 07:40 PM
Oy bruvs, what's the good word??

dmont
05-27-2022, 07:52 PM
How bout Oulette catching out of the backfield? Don't remember much of that last year.

Cool watching oakman attracting double teams.

Argo57
05-27-2022, 07:53 PM
Robbie Smith getting some nice pressure on Masoli early on.

Mightygoose
05-27-2022, 08:19 PM
Chad Kelly in the game. Tried to go deep right off the back but 2 and out to start

Will
05-27-2022, 08:20 PM
I'm really uncomfortable with Trevon Tate at RT.

Argo57
05-27-2022, 08:22 PM

So is the Argo QB.

Mightygoose
05-27-2022, 08:24 PM
Nice scramble from Chad to get the 1st

Will
05-27-2022, 08:26 PM
Pre-season blooper as Kelly forgets which side the running back is on.

Will
05-27-2022, 08:40 PM
Trevon Tate is awful.

dmont
05-27-2022, 09:04 PM
Oh great, another #32 rb who likes to pull up his jersey and show his abs.

Will
05-27-2022, 09:35 PM
Nice drive by Chad Kelly and the offense leads to a Javon Leake TD.

ArgofanIan
05-27-2022, 09:38 PM
Kelly looked pretty good on that drive...

Will
05-27-2022, 09:50 PM
Jamal Peters jumps the route from the rookie Ottawa QB and takes it back for an Argos TD. 17-7 Argos

Will
05-27-2022, 10:18 PM
Pretty disappointing performance by the defence late in this one.

dmont
05-27-2022, 10:30 PM
I liked McFadden, AJ Richardson, Oulette, Peter's, Robbie Smith.

I know he scored the touchdown, but I can't stand Javon Leake wearing a crop top jersey. Sufficient grounds for a cut!

Chad Kelly looked good. I still say keep pipkin as #2 and let Kelly hold the clipboard for a year.

Was happy for Toshi Sato! Perfect on his kicks and all were straight down the middle. Good for him!

AngeloV
05-27-2022, 10:31 PM

He'll be cut faster than Homer cut Millhouse.

Will
05-27-2022, 10:32 PM
So...

QB: Kelly and Pipkin looked reasonable at QB.
RB: A.J Ouelette does everything right, but might be stuck behind the two Canadians. Leake didn't look awful either.
WR: Nobody stood out here especially, fortunately we have Rogers, Daniels, Gittens, Banks, et al
OL: The Argos seriously aren't considering Tate at RT are they?
DL: Robbie Smith should get a chance to start opposite Davis IMO
LB: I like Trevor Hoyte's potential
DB: Hard to evaluate when they play soft, Decoud had a rough game
ST: Haggerty might punt and Bede will kick, not much in the return game

AngeloV
05-27-2022, 10:35 PM
So...

RB: A.J Ouelette does everything right, but might be stuck behind the two Canadians. Leake didn't look awful either.

Leake is a keeper. Very explosive and a good replacement for DJ foster.

Will
05-27-2022, 10:36 PM
Leake is a keeper. Very explosive and a good replacement for DJ foster.

I'd feel sorry for A.J Ouelette though if that kept him on the outside looking in.

AngeloV
05-27-2022, 10:47 PM
I'd feel sorry for A.J Ouelette though if that kept him on the outside looking in.

I get it, but they already made the decision to go Canadian at RB. Leake can play more of a RB/SB Pinball/Durie type of position. Also will be a good kickoff returner.

OV Argo
05-28-2022, 10:40 AM
Was the dressed for this game roster posted somewhere? A lot of guys did not make the trip to Ottawa? Did a Canadian receiver get targeted once even ?

AngeloV
05-28-2022, 11:27 AM
Was the dressed for this game roster posted somewhere? A lot of guys did not make the trip to Ottawa? Did a Canadian receiver get targeted once even ?

Most of the projected starters didn't make the trip. Pretty obvious the main Canadian receivers will be Gittens, Brescacin and Brissett. Baker and Nield will be battling for another spot, and might come down to who's better on ST's. I think Baker wins that 4th spot. They seemed to use him in the scrimmage on a couple of passes and he ran the ball once on a little jet sweep.

Sato looked comfortable on his place kicking last night. Decent kickoffs, perfect right down the middle on his converts. I can see Hamilton possibly claiming him because unfortunate for him, but he won't make the Argos.

paulwoods13
05-28-2022, 11:43 AM
Baker and Nield will be battling for another spot, and might come down to who's better on ST's. I think Baker wins that 4th spot.

I think Baker might be the backup long snapper; if so, he will be on the roster, IMO.

paulwoods13
05-28-2022, 11:54 AM
My impressions:

MacKellar is not yet ready for prime time. He'll likely be on the IL to start the season, unless we run into a lot of injuries on the line. Richards will take one backup spot and probably Giffen the other at first, and Churchill later. Noll goes back to school, Mehry likely gets cut and Zamora gets kept as insurance at centre. It's too bad Nicastro is going to miss so much time, but fortunately Lawrence looked OK at centre last night. I hope Ivey is good enough to back up at tackle but would not be surprised if we are looking for another INT at that position to back up Cage and Allen.

I think Decoud is in tough to make the team. I think we have at least three guys ahead of him at DHB. The fact he could play CB is in his favour, however.

Haggerty is all but certain to make the team. His punts last might were tremendous, both distance-wise and placement-wise. The fact he is a Global means he is not really costing a useful roster spot -- he just has to be more valuable than Sankoh and Robo, basically, and it's clear he already is.

None of the INT receivers stood out. Hester dropped a couple of catchable passes, and I didn't see much determination to grab the Hail Mary from the guys who were in the area.

Kelly has a strong arm and a lot of confidence, but he's not yet ready to make a regular contribution at QB. Not surprising; few new QBs get up to speed quickly in this league. But he has a lot of potential.

Adeboboye is a keeper, and Leake also looks good although like dmont, I want that jersey issue solved yesterday. I couldn't believe Forde compared him to Durie -- with the "swag" look, he looked (visually, not playing-wise) like the second coming of Wilder to me. Ouellette would be useful to keep around if possible.

gilthethrill
05-28-2022, 11:56 AM
I think Baker might be the backup long snapper; if so, he will be on the roster, IMO.

I think LB Trevor Hoyte can LS as well. Entertaining game last night. Would have been nice to see Austin Simmons connect on the last play Hail Mary. Maurice Carnell IV had a strong game and could crack a very good secondary.

AngeloV
05-28-2022, 01:49 PM
I am not anal about uniforms, so I have nothing bad to say about Leake.

Argo57
05-28-2022, 01:57 PM
I am not anal about uniforms, so I have nothing bad to say about Leake.

When you have abs like you, myself and Leake you spread the wealth.

argolio
05-28-2022, 02:25 PM
Abs? I'm not familiar with those.

AngeloV
05-28-2022, 03:15 PM
When you have abs like you, myself and Leake you spread the wealth.

I like kegs over 6 packs.

Argo57
05-28-2022, 04:21 PM
I like kegs over 6 packs.

Lol😛

Argo57
05-28-2022, 04:22 PM
Abs? I'm not familiar with those.

Join the group.

paulwoods13
05-28-2022, 07:49 PM
I think LB Trevor Hoyte can LS as well. Entertaining game last night. Would have been nice to see Austin Simmons connect on the last play Hail Mary. Maurice Carnell IV had a strong game and could crack a very good secondary.

Great to hear about Hoyte -- he is turning out to be a very valuable contributor on specials, and still has potential to develop into a starter at MLB, I think. He struggled at times after replacing the injured Muamba last season, but got a lot of defensive snaps, which has to be helpful in his development. He might have moved past his college teammate Jack Cassar in the LB pecking order, altho to be fair Cassar has had injuries to contend with. Hopefully he is healthy enough to be on the opening-day roster, because I'm confident when he gets healthy he will be able to contribute as well.

CrazyCanuck89
05-29-2022, 02:52 PM
Great to hear about Hoyte -- he is turning out to be a very valuable contributor on specials, and still has potential to develop into a starter at MLB, I think. He struggled at times after replacing the injured Muamba last season, but got a lot of defensive snaps, which has to be helpful in his development. He might have moved past his college teammate Jack Cassar in the LB pecking order, altho to be fair Cassar has had injuries to contend with. Hopefully he is healthy enough to be on the opening-day roster, because I'm confident when he gets healthy he will be able to contribute as well.

I'm pretty sure Hoyte was lining up at WLB, which seems to be a position of strong suit for him.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8