PDA

View Full Version : The Athletic articles on the Argos and TFC (Insigne)

ArgoRavi
07-02-2022, 11:39 PM
Believe it or now, The Athletic did an article this past week on the Argos and how they can be saved; it was written by former National Post Argos beat reporter Sean Fitz-Gerald. Also this week, there were articles on TFC in that publication, as there usually are, but one caught my eye in particular about why this Insigne character has been brought in and what they are hoping for from him. I would love to post links to both articles here but that would be useless unless you subscribe to The Athletic.

Anyway, what caught my eye was Bill Manning's comments about the respective teams. Manning said that marketing efforts on the Argos would focus on four regular season games - the two CNE games, another one with the Ticats, and the regular season finale against the Alouettes. I believe it was him in that article who made the comment that the Argos have stability finally which I don't disagree with.

In the TFC article, it talked about how TFC's attendance and season ticket base is dropping, referred to their only "serious summer competition" as the Blue Jays, and how their on-field performance has been dismal over the past couple of years. They're hoping that paying Insigne $15 million per year will revitalize their fan base.

It really struck me how much more enthusiastic about TFC Manning seemed to be as compared to the Argos. Perhaps I am reading too much into those articles but I just got that feeling.

I will also add that I find it interesting that TFC loses tens of millions of dollars per year but is valued at $400 million which is the most important thing. Would anyone buy it for that amount? I doubt it. Conversely, the Argos lose much less annually than Insigne's salary but are valued at very little.

I strongly suggest reading both articles if you can but I would also be interested in hearing what others who have read them thought about them. I was very pleasantly surprised by the very positive comments on the Argos article and there were many on there. Last I checked, there were many more comments on the Argos article than the TFC Insigne one for whatever that is worth.

Argo57
07-03-2022, 09:22 AM
Believe it or now, The Athletic did an article this past week on the Argos and how they can be saved; it was written by former National Post Argos beat reporter Sean Fitz-Gerald. Also this week, there were articles on TFC in that publication, as there usually are, but one caught my eye in particular about why this Insigne character has been brought in and what they are hoping for from him. I would love to post links to both articles here but that would be useless unless you subscribe to The Athletic.

Anyway, what caught my eye was Bill Manning's comments about the respective teams. Manning said that marketing efforts on the Argos would focus on four regular season games - the two CNE games, another one with the Ticats, and the regular season finale against the Alouettes. I believe it was him in that article who made the comment that the Argos have stability finally which I don't disagree with.

In the TFC article, it talked about how TFC's attendance and season ticket base is dropping, referred to their only "serious summer competition" as the Blue Jays, and how their on-field performance has been dismal over the past couple of years. They're hoping that paying Insigne $15 million per year will revitalize their fan base.

It really struck me how much more enthusiastic about TFC Manning seemed to be as compared to the Argos. Perhaps I am reading too much into those articles but I just got that feeling.

I will also add that I find it interesting that TFC loses tens of millions of dollars per year but is valued at $400 million which is the most important thing. Would anyone buy it for that amount? I doubt it. Conversely, the Argos lose much less annually than Insigne's salary but are valued at very little.

I strongly suggest reading both articles if you can but I would also be interested in hearing what others who have read them thought about them. I was very pleasantly surprised by the very positive comments on the Argos article and there were many on there. Last I checked, there were many more comments on the Argos article than the TFC Insigne one for whatever that is worth.

Manning is the latest in a long line of MLSE talking heads that spew a lot of BS, he shouldn’t be involved with the Argos in any manner.

gilthethrill
07-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Manning is the latest in a long line of MLSE talking heads that spew a lot of BS, he shouldn’t be involved with the Argos in any manner.

Argos need a President plain and simple.

ArgoGabe22
07-03-2022, 12:57 PM
https://theathletic.com/3382896/2022/06/27/toronto-argonauts-fix-cfl/

https://theathletic.com/3386522/2022/06/27/lorenzo-insigne-toronto-arrival/

I read both with no pay wall issues

AngeloV
07-03-2022, 01:15 PM
https://theathletic.com/3382896/2022/06/27/toronto-argonauts-fix-cfl/

https://theathletic.com/3386522/2022/06/27/lorenzo-insigne-toronto-arrival/

I read both with no pay wall issues

You must secretly be a hacker. I had paywall issue.

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 05:52 PM
I am well acquainted with all the criticism of the league (and Argos) and can accept them when valid, but one thing I surmised from the article,
Cynamon is full of shit.

ArgoGabe22
07-03-2022, 06:09 PM
You must secretly be a hacker. I had paywall issue.

Worked on browser. Not on phone

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 06:11 PM
Just finished the article, Manning is useless. There were no proper ideas on "How to Fix The Argos"
The closest to any idea was this:

Ambrosie suggests the league is now in a better place to help markets such as Toronto. “Toronto is a really different city than it was in the ’70s and ’80s,” he said. “And how do we reach this new community? And how do we have to understand this new population differently than the old one?” The Argos have met with Tory, the mayor, who Ambrosie said has “identified very large groups of newer Canadians who are looking to do Canadian things.”

Here's a free suggestion for MLSE (if you even care), start at 5:20 and pay particular attention at 6:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPY-jr7M32s

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 06:16 PM
Worked on browser. Not on phonePaywalled on Firefox, Chrome and Edge

SkalbaniasGhost
07-03-2022, 06:39 PM
Summary

Ambrosie is lost.

ArgoDiva's quote is encouraging.

“It’s grassroots, it’s affordable,” she said. “The players are your next-door neighbour. They’re not overpaid, egotistical athletes.”

Manning's quote is not encouraging.

“Throwing money is not, in a market like this — as every owner previous to us has found — you can just sometimes throw money out the window,” he said.
He said the team has modest attendance growth expectations: “We’re not living in a world where we think the Argos are going to be selling out BMO Field, and getting these big, big crowds.”

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 06:54 PM
Manning is more lost than Ambrosie, those MLSE clowns were looking for valuation in a CFL team, that's not in an American league? They can't be that stupid, wait a minute, yes they can. You would think that at least one person would consider it a challenge to his marketing acumen.

Actually Lean's suggestion about a case study for MBA students was interesting. I would approach it from this angle. How do you young hotshots market something you have no knowledge of or interest in? It's easy for Drake to kiss Raptor ass but is he big enough or courageous enough to back something that isn't popular. Who out there has a set of balls?

paulwoods13
07-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Manning's quote is not encouraging.

“Throwing money is not, in a market like this — as every owner previous to us has found — you can just sometimes throw money out the window,” he said.
He said the team has modest attendance growth expectations: “We’re not living in a world where we think the Argos are going to be selling out BMO Field, and getting these big, big crowds.”

Not encouraging, but confirmation of what MLSE and all other Argo ownership groups going back to 1988 have discovered the hard way. The Argos are no longer "cool," and throwing money at the problem does not solve it, but does involve losing money.

I wish MLSE would do a lot of things differently, starting with a dedicated, capable president and more staff to promote ticket sales to individuals and groups. But I can't condemn them for not thinking the Argos are going to sell out the building, since I also don't think that's happening any time soon. When we moved to BMO I thought interest could be built up over 3-5 years, to the point where crowds of 20k would be the norm by now. Instead the opposite has happened -- sales have continued to drop, despite various measures undertaken by both MLSE and its predecessor group. (Those who say they have done nothing are simply wrong. They haven't done as much as they might have, but they have tried various things -- and they have discovered that a lot of it amounted to throwing money out the window.) This is a problem without any obvious solutions.

paulwoods13
07-03-2022, 07:28 PM
It's easy for Drake to kiss Raptor ass but is he big enough or courageous enough to back something that isn't popular. Who out there has a set of balls?

Drake would never associate his brand with a brand as uncool as the Argos are. The idea that the Raptors benefited from Drake's association with them is only partially correct -- I would argue Drake benefited at least as much (if not more) from his association with the Raptors, who were (and are) considered cool with or without him.

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 07:34 PM
Defeatism isn't an excuse, Doman is facing similar issues in BC, nobody with a brain thought they would duplicate the home opener but I will be shocked if there isn't an increase over Game 2 and that it will continue going forward. How is it MLSE can sell third rate soccer but not second rate football? Is Regina not as glamorous as Columbus and Austin? Especially when TFC has almost as many people in the stadium as watching on TV.

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 07:37 PM
Drake would never associate his brand with a brand as uncool as the Argos are. Exactly, no balls or confidence in his ability as an influencer.

https://i.imgur.com/ovgf5vc.jpg

ArgoGabe22
07-03-2022, 07:47 PM
Paywalled on Firefox, Chrome and Edge

I use Firefox

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 07:54 PM
I hate coming on here and bitching just for the sake of bitching, that's not my thing without at least trying to be constructive. But MLSE isn't giving me a whole lot of ammo to work with and defend them. Just finished reading a pathetic, defeatist article (MLSE's contribution) that could kill the spirit of anybody. But I'm not a giverupper, I remember seeing an article in SI about the death of the CFL in the 1980s so there is always hope.

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 07:56 PM
I use FirefoxDoes the site give you a couple of free ones if your cookies are cleared, otherwise not working in FF.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-03-2022, 07:59 PM
Everyone in the GTA knows the Argos exist. If you watch a sports network or read a newspaper in Ontario, you know when the next game is.

Aside from physically dragging people to games, what could MLSE possibly do?

OV Argo
07-03-2022, 08:04 PM
Manning is more lost than Ambrosie, those MLSE clowns were looking for valuation in a CFL team, that's not in an American league? They can't be that stupid, wait a minute, yes they can. You would think that at least one person would consider it a challenge to his marketing acumen.

Actually Lean's suggestion about a case study for MBA students was interesting. I would approach it from this angle. How do you young hotshots market something you have no knowledge of or interest in? It's easy for Drake to kiss Raptor ass but is he big enough or courageous enough to back something that isn't popular. Who out there has a set of balls?

We talked here before (maybe at the invitation of Mike Hogan) about marketing ideas to improve the Argo brand / popularity, with the hope maybe the brainiacs at MLSE might take heed. They have ZERO clue.

Why was there not an Argo booth/table set-up at Leafs or Raptor games - to hand out Argo schedules, educate about Argo/CFL history, have a current or ex-Argo great on hand to promote ? Why could MLSE not order a big Leaf or Raptors name to do a commercial hyping the Argos ? Or why not do another hip TV commercial playing up the Argos are cool angle ? Have all the biggest electronic bill-boards in the GTA been rented out to hype the Argos - schedule, videos of great Argo players/moments ? How bout an even bigger current music act than Doman got for the BC Lions opener playing before an Argo game ? Have beer or liquor companies been approached to provide Argo gear with their products or in their stores ? - I see it for the Jays, Raptors, all kinds of NFL stuff ? Are Argo/CFL old school pocket schedules available at convenience or beer stores all over the GTA ? Etc., etc. etc..

No clue = no real, meaningful effort; believe in a dream of their great reach via today's social media junk is all that was required ? And let me guess - MLSE's bean-counters told them they can't afford these efforts or they would be "money losing" propositions ?

"Issues"Mcgee
07-03-2022, 08:14 PM
We talked here before (maybe at the invitation of Mike Hogan) about marketing ideas to improve the Argo brand / popularity, with the hope maybe the brainiacs at MLSE might take heed. They have ZERO clue.

Why was there not an Argo booth/table set-up at Leafs or Raptor games - to hand out Argo schedules, educate about Argo/CFL history, have a current or ex-Argo great on hand to promote ? Why could MLSE not order a big Leaf or Raptors name to do a commercial hyping the Argos ? Or why not do another hip TV commercial playing up the Argos are cool angle ? Have all the biggest electronic bill-boards in the GTA been rented out to hype the Argos - schedule, videos of great Argo players/moments ? How bout an even bigger current music act than Doman got for the BC Lions opener playing before an Argo game ? Have beer or liquor companies been approached to provide Argo gear with their products or in their stores ? - I see it for the Jays, Raptors, all kinds of NFL stuff ? Are Argo/CFL old school pocket schedules available at convenience or beer stores all over the GTA ? Etc., etc. etc..

No clue = no real, meaningful effort; believe in a dream of their great reach via today's social media junk is all that was required ?

The Argos have done most of this in the past five years.

They literally sent current Argos out last year to promote the team and it was a complete disaster due to COVID protocols and it arguably cost us the East final.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-03-2022, 08:45 PM
The Argos had the Strumbella's in 2016 at the home opener. They were a big band at the time. In all fairness it was only TanenBell then but the point is the Argos have done that. It didn't work. What do you do then? Try it again?

I believe the hate against MLSE is misguided.

OV Argo
07-03-2022, 08:50 PM
The Argos have done most of this in the past five years.

They literally sent current Argos out last year to promote the team and it was a complete disaster due to COVID protocols and it arguably cost us the East final.

OK, aside from MBT (who is not a big Leaf or Raptor name) going out in public last season when he shouldn't have - which of the other marketing ideas i mentioned have mighty MLSE "done most of this " ???

"Issues"Mcgee
07-03-2022, 08:54 PM
OK, aside from MBT (who is not a big Leaf or Raptor name) going out in public last season when he shouldn't have - which of the other marketing ideas i mentioned have mighty MLSE "done most of this " ???

Pinball is the best ambassador the Argos have and he has been everywhere in Toronto the past 20 years.

People in Toronto love Pinball. Most of them even want him to be mayor but even Torontonians don't love him enough to go to Argos games.

This is not MLSE's fault. They have been dealt a rotten hand and it doesn't help them as a business to not promote the Argos.

paulwoods13
07-03-2022, 09:04 PM
Exactly, no balls or confidence in his ability as an influencer.

Does it take balls, or stupidity, to damage one's own brand?

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 09:24 PM
Does it take balls, or stupidity, to damage one's own brand?Can't be a very stable brand if attaching itself to the Argos would damage it.

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 09:27 PM
This is not MLSE's fault. They have been dealt a rotten hand and it doesn't help them as a business to not promote the Argos.???

OV Argo
07-03-2022, 09:32 PM
Can't be a very stable brand if attaching itself to the Argos would damage it.

Bought as a form of control of football in the area; to allow for easy disposal and access to an allmighty NFL franchise for Christmas Tree if that pipe-dream comes up.

bannedforlife
07-03-2022, 09:38 PM
Bought as a form of control of football in the area; to allow for easy disposal and access to an allmighty NFL franchise for Christmas Tree if that pipe-dream comes up.Makes you wonder why Rogers the haterz got in on it.

paulwoods13
07-04-2022, 07:45 AM
Can't be a very stable brand if attaching itself to the Argos would damage it.

His accountants would beg to differ.

bannedforlife
07-04-2022, 10:23 AM
His accountants would beg to differ.Everything's easy when you play it safe. Not blaming the man, just saying it would be nice to see someone walk a different path and maybe see how popular they really are.

Seeing comments at other sites about MLSE letting the Argos wither on the vine in preparation for the NFL "dream" Wish I had something to counter that with, or at least Argos having someone like Doman out cheerleading. Their lack of visibility makes one wonder.

Mocha
07-04-2022, 11:39 AM
The Argos had the Strumbella's in 2016 at the home opener. They were a big band at the time. In all fairness it was only TanenBell then but the point is the Argos have done that. It didn't work. What do you do then? Try it again?

I believe the hate against MLSE is misguided.

I would say they keep doing that for home openers. The 2016 home opener had a strong crowd. Attendance dropped back down for the next game, and then the Grey Cup pricing fiasco derailed any momentum that might have been built.

I think MLSE deserves much of the scorn it receives for its treatment of the Argos, but I feel that they're improving slowly but surely. This season, for example, I find their FB content quite good. Let's see how much focus they put on those four games Manning mentions. I'm still a bit bemused by the scheduling of so many games vs Hamilton with such a short time, but we'll see.

paulwoods13
07-04-2022, 02:19 PM
Everything's easy when you play it safe. Not blaming the man, just saying it would be nice to see someone walk a different path and maybe see how popular they really are.

He has built himself into a billion-dollar corporation. Most billionaires want to grow or at least preserve their wealth, and I imagine he's no different. While it's nice to imagine someone willing to risk some of his massive fortune by attaching himself to something unpopular, the number of billionaires who have done so is exceedingly small.

Scooter McCray
07-04-2022, 02:21 PM
It really does beg the question why they bought the Argos. Having a band at the opener at BMO Field in 2016, and never doing it again is not a strategy. To not have as your goal to fill a 25,000 seat stadium in a city of 3,000,000 plus is unacceptable.

At a minimum you can hire commissioned, door to door salespeople selling individual, season's and box seats. What is required is 25,000 X 9 games = 225,000 tickets to be sold each year to sellout.

Divide this by 12 months = 18,750/month tickets sold

If you hired 100 salespeople paid them base salary of $20,000 plus commission on each ticket sold, but must meet threshold to remain employed they each would need to sell 188 tickets per month or 41 per week or 6/day

Put someone in charge that understands basic sales techniques, train these 100 and the bottom third to half probably drop off every month, and like any sales force eventually you are left with a lot of high performers 80/20 rule.

This costs MLSE zero marketing, and a sales team budget only. Bypass Ticketmaster as well. Here's some free business advice from MBA Argo Fan. If they don't want to do it, pay me a consultancy fee and I will have it running in a month, and in a year have crowds over 20,000 per game.

Argo57
07-04-2022, 02:45 PM
It really does beg the question why they bought the Argos. Having a band at the opener at BMO Field in 2016, and never doing it again is not a strategy. To not have as your goal to fill a 25,000 seat stadium in a city of 3,000,000 plus is unacceptable.

At a minimum you can hire commissioned, door to door salespeople selling individual, season's and box seats. What is required is 25,000 X 9 games = 225,000 tickets to be sold each year to sellout.

Divide this by 12 months = 18,750/month tickets sold

If you hired 100 salespeople paid them base salary of $20,000 plus commission on each ticket sold, but must meet threshold to remain employed they each would need to sell 188 tickets per month or 41 per week or 6/day

Put someone in charge that understands basic sales techniques, train these 100 and the bottom third to half probably drop off every month, and like any sales force eventually you are left with a lot of high performers 80/20 rule.

This costs MLSE zero marketing, and a sales team budget only. Bypass Ticketmaster as well. Here's some free business advice from MBA Argo Fan. If they don't want to do it, pay me a consultancy fee and I will have it running in a month, and in a year have crowds over 20,000 per game.

$20K and fired if you don’t hit your sales quota?
Potential candidates will be lining the streets for piece of that action!!!

Scooter McCray
07-04-2022, 03:27 PM
Most sales jobs are 100% commission. So they might. You are now a foot in the door working in the MLSE empire. If you hit the average sales you will earn $20,000 plus $20,000 commission. If you are above average and are the 20% generating 80% of sales volume you will be earning a 6 figure total income. My guess is from there MLSE will create other opportunities for you or your resume will look pretty good to get a more lucrative sales position elsewhere. The demographic for the most part will likely skew young person. You can be taught this with little formal education. So yeah it's actually pretty great income potential for a young person. If that's what you meant.

Argo57
07-04-2022, 03:44 PM
Most sales jobs are 100% commission. So they might. You are now a foot in the door working in the MLSE empire. If you hit the average sales you will earn $20,000 plus $20,000 commission. If you are above average and are the 20% generating 80% of sales volume you will be earning a 6 figure total income. My guess is from there MLSE will create other opportunities for you or your resume will look pretty good to get a more lucrative sales position elsewhere. The demographic for the most part will likely skew young person. You can be taught this with little formal education. So yeah it's actually pretty great income potential for a young person. If that's what you meant.

We must live in different worlds, I’ve been in Industrial sales (and management) for 37 years and can tell you base salaries are at least 3-4 times what you have stated with commission on top of that plus a car allowance (if applicable) and we still don’t have enough younger people coming into our industry.
A competitive base salary with a reasonable commission structure shows commitment from the company and rewards performance which helps keep good employees around long term.
Sounds like you are talking about telemarketing and retail sales which are notoriously high stress high turnover jobs.

AngeloV
07-04-2022, 03:52 PM

Where do I sign up? I’m tired of paying my bills anyway and would love to throw myself at the mercy of the banks.

OV Argo
07-04-2022, 03:57 PM
Some here dare to question the inscrutable financial genius & sports expertise of MLSE? Pffft.

Argo57
07-04-2022, 03:59 PM
Where do I sign up? I’m tired of paying my bills anyway and would love to throw myself at the mercy of the banks.

Send your resume to Mr Tannenbaum.

Scooter McCray
07-04-2022, 04:22 PM
We must live in different worlds, I’ve been in Industrial sales (and management) for 37 years and can tell you base salaries are at least 3-4 times what you have stated with commission on top of that plus a car allowance (if applicable) and we still don’t have enough younger people coming into our industry.
A competitive base salary with a reasonable commission structure shows commitment from the company and rewards performance which helps keep good employees around long term.
Sounds like you are talking about telemarketing and retail sales which are notoriously high stress high turnover jobs.
Yes, this is retail sales. I would say this is quite a bit different from Industrial Sales - which would require a high degree of experience, and knowledge - not an entry level position. Whereas this would be entry level and people who are entrepreneurial. There is no ceiling. So if you were motivated - and paying one's bills can be highly motivating - in answer to another comment - you can earn quite a bit and be better off than most if you want to go for it. Obviously most people would not succeed at this, because they would not have motivation or the skills required to sell. But some would and after a period of time you probably would not need 100 salespeople, you would have the cream that rose to the top and they become your highly paid, highly motivated salesforce you keep and who look after your most prized asset - your fans and season ticket holders. Now after a few years of doing this would your Industrial Sales organization be interested in a self-starting individual who could generate a 6 figure income selling Argo tickets? If not - why not?

This is one aspect to drive ticket sales - the in person approach - building relationships with fans face to face. In my world this is but one piece to drive ticket sales. I do also want marketing and grass roots community involvement and minor football involvement and of course simple access to media that my own ownership controls. But if you did nothing but this you could blanket the city and sell 225,000 tickets to 3,000,000 people.

I'm tired of people throwing up their hands saying we've tried everything. The Argos are unfixable, especially from the people who are running the show like Manning and spend more time on the soccer team than the football team. I call bulls#!t on that. Nothing's been done in a long, long time. Put a full time President in charge with ideas and thoughts. Or pick up the phone and have a conference call with Amar Doman, Victor Cui, Bob Young, Mark Goudie, Gary Stern, Craig Reynolds. You don't think those other guys want to see Toronto succeed at a business level. It means more money for them too in the long run.

bannedforlife
07-04-2022, 10:25 PM
I'm tired of people throwing up their hands saying we've tried everything. The Argos are unfixable, especially from the people who are running the show like Manning and spend more time on the soccer team than the football team. I call bulls#!t on that. Nothing's been done in a long, long time. Put a full time President in charge with ideas and thoughts. Or pick up the phone and have a conference call with Amar Doman, Victor Cui, Bob Young, Mark Goudie, Gary Stern, Craig Reynolds. You don't think those other guys want to see Toronto succeed at a business level. It means more money for them too in the long run.Amen, and this posing that Toronto is some kind of extraordinary market as opposed to the other big cities or are we supposed to believe it's special because it's the 4th largest American city. Has anyone at MLSE tried a personal touch in the last few years like the folks listed above who strangely enough are seeing results.

https://i.imgur.com/1ICp1Lr.png

bannedforlife
07-04-2022, 10:27 PM
He has built himself into a billion-dollar corporation. Most billionaires want to grow or at least preserve their wealth, and I imagine he's no different. While it's nice to imagine someone willing to risk some of his massive fortune by attaching himself to something unpopular, the number of billionaires who have done so is exceedingly small.Elon Musk for starters. But aside from that why do I get this feeling that there are those who seem to want to "protect" MLSE. I admit I'm a fossil and used to work at a time when news people more often confronted these things not protected them. When did corporations stop ceasing being "the man" and now are to be protected.

SkalbaniasGhost
07-04-2022, 10:41 PM
Elon Musk for starters. But aside from that why do I get this feeling that there are those who seem to want to "protect" MLSE. I admit I'm a fossil and used to work at a time when news people more often confronted these things not protected them. When did corporations stop ceasing being "the man" and now are to be protected.
It's Globalism on display.

Argo57
07-04-2022, 11:28 PM
Yes, this is retail sales. I would say this is quite a bit different from Industrial Sales - which would require a high degree of experience, and knowledge - not an entry level position. Whereas this would be entry level and people who are entrepreneurial. There is no ceiling. So if you were motivated - and paying one's bills can be highly motivating - in answer to another comment - you can earn quite a bit and be better off than most if you want to go for it. Obviously most people would not succeed at this, because they would not have motivation or the skills required to sell. But some would and after a period of time you probably would not need 100 salespeople, you would have the cream that rose to the top and they become your highly paid, highly motivated salesforce you keep and who look after your most prized asset - your fans and season ticket holders. Now after a few years of doing this would your Industrial Sales organization be interested in a self-starting individual who could generate a 6 figure income selling Argo tickets? If not - why not?

This is one aspect to drive ticket sales - the in person approach - building relationships with fans face to face. In my world this is but one piece to drive ticket sales. I do also want marketing and grass roots community involvement and minor football involvement and of course simple access to media that my own ownership controls. But if you did nothing but this you could blanket the city and sell 225,000 tickets to 3,000,000 people.

I'm tired of people throwing up their hands saying we've tried everything. The Argos are unfixable, especially from the people who are running the show like Manning and spend more time on the soccer team than the football team. I call bulls#!t on that. Nothing's been done in a long, long time. Put a full time President in charge with ideas and thoughts. Or pick up the phone and have a conference call with Amar Doman, Victor Cui, Bob Young, Mark Goudie, Gary Stern, Craig Reynolds. You don't think those other guys want to see Toronto succeed at a business level. It means more money for them too in the long run.

I figured you were referring to retail sales.
You mentioned a $20k base salary with the potential to earn 6 figures with commission, how many tickets would you have to sell to earn an additional $80k in bonuses and how would you maintain this level of income year to year.
Sales jobs such as what you are referring to are definitely for a younger person, once you married and have kids you would be hard pressed to make ends meet.

Randall
07-05-2022, 04:44 AM
Seriously? What could they do? Bloody well advertise.
They had 2 alumni there on the 4th. No one knew, the talking head bobbed and weaved...No wonder no interest..no info given.
It was Adam Rita and Hank Ilesic FYI.
Next year is 150...Do ya think they will tell anyone ?
Of course not. Don't want to make the Maple Leafs look bad...or Shanahan look worse.
A total farce.

Scooter McCray
07-05-2022, 09:02 AM
I figured you were referring to retail sales.
You mentioned a $20k base salary with the potential to earn 6 figures with commission, how many tickets would you have to sell to earn an additional $80k in bonuses and how would you maintain this level of income year to year.
Sales jobs such as what you are referring to are definitely for a younger person, once you married and have kids you would be hard pressed to make ends meet.
Hopefully you are not needing to find new 225,000 every single season. You will build repeat sales to existing and now new fans. It becomes managing your client base of ticket holders. You keep signing them up, converting them to season ticket holders, etc...You are still getting commissioned on those repeats and it should become much easier with less and less cold calling, door knocking, etc. If this approach is married with on field success you will gradually rebuild a solid fanbase that wants to watch CFL football. All you need is to develop a hardcore 25,000 Argo fans out of a massive population base. With an approach like this over say a 3-5 year period it can be done. I believe the on field product is competitive and can contend in the East. Developing or acquiring a star at the most important position - QB - is vital for the future.
I believe it is important for the league to address the Nathan Rourke situation. This is so positive. Obviously everyone expects him to be in the NFL next year. The league can address this positively for every team. Have one exclusion from the salary cap for your best Canadian player. Amar Doman can have an honest conversation with Nathan...I can pay you $1-$2 million dollars. You will not be given the keys to an NFL team next year. You will be paid as a 2nd or 3rd string QB. Stay here for the next few years, win a championship or 3, set some records. And then the NFL contract you will be given will be as a starter, you will still be 27/28 years old.
And every team can do that with their best Canadians, and maybe we lure some Canadian NFL draft picks back to their home and native land instead of losing them forever.

argolio
07-05-2022, 09:41 PM
Apparently Bill Manning is signing another Italian soccer player for TFC. Where does he find the time away from his many Argo duties to work on stuff like that?

OV Argo
07-05-2022, 10:08 PM
Apparently Bill Manning is signing another Italian soccer player for TFC. Where does he find the time away from his many Argo duties to work on stuff like that?

He's also working on signing Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers to play QB for the Argos. ;o)

AngeloV
07-05-2022, 10:49 PM
Seriously? What could they do? Bloody well advertise.
They had 2 alumni there on the 4th. No one knew, the talking head bobbed and weaved...No wonder no interest..no info given.
It was Adam Rita and Hank Ilesic FYI.
Next year is 150...Do ya think they will tell anyone ?
Of course not. Don't want to make the Maple Leafs look bad...or Shanahan look worse.
A total farce.

Mookie Mitchell and Byron Parker were also there. They were also at practice last Friday.

ArgoRavi
07-06-2022, 01:44 AM

Does Manning even know that the Argos played on Monday night?

Argo57
07-06-2022, 08:30 AM
He's also working on signing Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers to play QB for the Argos. ;o)

Either one of these guys would be a good backup.

Argo57
07-06-2022, 08:32 AM
Mookie Mitchell and Byron Parker were also there. They were also at practice last Friday.

And nobody knew about it which is part of the problem.

Argo57
07-06-2022, 08:32 AM

The guy is like the energizer bunny!

Scooter McCray
07-06-2022, 08:38 AM
Why the reluctance/hesitancy to install a full time Argo President by MLSE? They do acknowledge there is lack of growth of enterprise value. How does Manning - wearing two hats, address this issue?
I am beating a dead and buried horse, but it just makes no sense. Oaying Michael Clemons a fraction of what you pay Ujiri, Shanahan, and Manning is an insignificant expense to them. Its such a simple thing to do. It was the right thing to do 5 years ago, and it is today. Their ongoing choice not to do this demonstrates a lack of interest, passion, care, stewardship towards this proud, historical sports franchise.

Scooter McCray
07-06-2022, 08:43 AM
The only thing I can surmise is that Rogers has input into the business decision to install full time President. They know Mike Clemons would bring class, success, passion and immediate improvement. Their hate on for all things CFL, Argo will not allow them to sign off on that.

Will
07-06-2022, 10:36 AM
And nobody knew about it which is part of the problem.

Introduce them on the "jumbotron." Both were fan favorites!

ArgoRavi
07-06-2022, 11:37 PM
I just noticed that the Argos could have hosted the Roughriders at BMO Field for the first time since 2019 on the afternoon of July 16th instead of playing the game in Nova Scotia. That likely would have been one of the better attended games of the season. TFC is on the road that night so it could have happened unless there's some other event that I am unaware of taking place on the pristine BMO Field pitch that day.

I can only guess that MLSE is getting a good payout for having this game moved to Wolfville instead?

Will
07-07-2022, 07:43 AM
The 16th is Indy day in Toronto, which would make navigating the Exhibition grounds tenuous at best.

shayman
07-07-2022, 11:46 AM
I remember in 2016 there was a great crowd of 24,000 for the first-ever-BMO-home opener - and then only 12,000 or something for the second home game, which was during the Indy setup and a complete mess to get to the stadium. Even walking from the GO station to BMO meant taking some crazy route because of all the barricades that were up.

two lessons learned:
a) big attendance at game N does not mean big attendance at game N+1
b) forget doing anything during the midst of Indy setup

and one more

c) wow do we ever tolerate a lot of civic disruption for a modestly-attended car race.

paulwoods13
07-07-2022, 12:03 PM
c) wow do we ever tolerate a lot of civic disruption for a modestly-attended car race.

By car race, you mean super-polluter event?

ArgoRavi
07-07-2022, 12:31 PM
The 16th is Indy day in Toronto, which would make navigating the Exhibition grounds tenuous at best.

I didn't even realize that race was still happening in Toronto.

argolio
07-07-2022, 12:59 PM
I didn't even realize that race was still happening in Toronto.Yeah, I forgot about that until I saw the barriers at the Ex on Monday.

It never ends.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8