PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Thread - Hamilton at Toronto on August 6th, 2022

ArgoRavi
08-05-2022, 12:59 PM
Just waiting for Argonauts.ca to have the depth chart up but I did see it on Twitter and the highlights include the return of Davaris Daniels and Eric Rogers with Daniels moving to wide receiver, an all-Canadian offensive line with Philip Blake and Shane Richards at the tackle positions, and nine Canadian starters.

If the offensive line can have a strong game on Saturday night, I like the Argos' chances of victory. That will be the key, in my opinion.

AngeloV
08-05-2022, 01:48 PM
Just waiting for Argonauts.ca to have the depth chart up but I did see it on Twitter and the highlights include the return of Davaris Daniels and Eric Rogers with Daniels moving to wide receiver, an all-Canadian offensive line with Philip Blake and Shane Richards at the tackle positions, and nine Canadian starters.

If the offensive line can have a strong game on Saturday night, I like the Argos' chances of victory. That will be the key, in my opinion.

It’s been up on CFL.ca game centre for a couple of hours. Go to game notes and you can click on the depth chart.

Happy to see Banks as a back up at receiver. He should only have certain packages on Offence.

gilthethrill
08-05-2022, 04:24 PM
I realize this is slightly off topic, but Argo57 might agree with me on this one. With the Hamilton Honey Badgers sporting a 14-5 record and 1st place, could that motivate the Ti-Cats to replicate their cross town basketball team’s success?

ArgofanIan
08-05-2022, 05:02 PM
Wish they would bring or display the Ballard Cup at one of these games... would be cool to get a pic of the most important CFL prize... Go ARRGOS !!!

Argo57
08-05-2022, 05:45 PM
I realize this is slightly off topic, but Argo57 might agree with me on this one. With the Hamilton Honey Badgers sporting a 14-5 record and 1st place, could that motivate the Ti-Cats to replicate their cross town basketball team’s success?

I’m hoping there is no cross pollination between the Honey Badgers success and the Tiger Cats.

paulwoods13
08-05-2022, 07:21 PM
Noll, playing his first game (I think), and Churchill are the backup o-linemen. Hope our starters stay healthy and play well. I thought the original plan was to have Noll return to school this year, but I guess that is out now.

On the bad news front, Brescacin and Nicastro each get a second six-game injury stint. I'll be surprised if we see either guy play this year. Nicastro is definitely recovering from an injury; I don't know what is holding Brescacin from getting back in the lineup, but I doubt he is so seriously injured that he needs to be on the six.

Good news is that Dejon Allen and Deointe Knight are only on the one-game. Knight had been sixed since week 1.

AngeloV
08-05-2022, 10:55 PM
Noll, playing his first game (I think), and Churchill are the backup o-linemen. Hope our starters stay healthy and play well. I thought the original plan was to have Noll return to school this year, but I guess that is out now.

On the bad news front, Brescacin and Nicastro each get a second six-game injury stint. I'll be surprised if we see either guy play this year. Nicastro is definitely recovering from an injury; I don't know what is holding Brescacin from getting back in the lineup, but I doubt he is so seriously injured that he needs to be on the six.

Good news is that Dejon Allen and Deointe Knight are only on the one-game. Knight had been sixed since week 1.

Not sure if I trust the injury list. Dinwiddie in his post practice presser on Thursday said Brescacin is really close.

Rich
08-06-2022, 01:06 AM
Happy to see Banks as a back up at receiver. He should only have certain packages on Offence.

I think they’re trying to throw the Cats off the scent. I think they’ve got big plans for Banks in this one. This is why we got this guy, for the Hamilton games. Not only is he super-motivated, but he knows how Steinhauer thinks on defence. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve been working on a punt return play for him too.

And Mac loves throwing to him. I dunno, maybe it’s just me, but it seems to me that a disproportionate number of Mac’s best throws have been to Banks, although I’ll admit it’s a small sample size. ;-) The big question is can the Speedy One hold onto the friggin ball.

jerrym
08-06-2022, 07:31 PM
As so often happens with MBT he starts off early with a poor throw that was almost intercepted by Evans.

Scooter McCray
08-06-2022, 07:49 PM
What is the major malfunction happening to the defense. The Tiger Cats are moving the ball at will.

kellynjk
08-06-2022, 07:56 PM
Well the Argo offence doesn't look much better!!

jerrym
08-06-2022, 08:08 PM
To say the Argo had a sluggish start would be kind. Hopefully, the march downfield for a FG will be the beginning of an ongoing improvement.

Scooter McCray
08-06-2022, 08:08 PM
Our QBs lack of mobility is not helpful when the offensive line is different every week.

Scooter McCray
08-06-2022, 08:42 PM
88 yards total offense for Argos in first half. Fortunate to only be down by 8. Time to start the second half like their playing at home.

jerrym
08-06-2022, 08:57 PM
Nice escape by MBT enabling him to throw the TD pass.

jerrym
08-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Nice knockdown by Hendrix to force a kick from the end zone.

jerrym
08-06-2022, 09:24 PM
More problems with the snap costing a FG likely. Can we please find someone who can snap?

jerrym
08-06-2022, 09:26 PM
Hoyte and Marion combine on blocked FG for TD to take lead!

Scooter McCray
08-06-2022, 09:47 PM
Let's go Brandon. Nice Catch

Scooter McCray
08-06-2022, 09:49 PM
Enough with your challenges

Scooter McCray
08-06-2022, 09:58 PM
Defense has really stepped up this half

jerrym
08-06-2022, 10:00 PM
Argo defence dominates second half, topping it off with Edwards interception for TD.

jerrym
08-06-2022, 10:12 PM
Hopefully Harris's wrist injury is not serious. We can't afford to lose him.

ArgofanIan
08-06-2022, 10:59 PM
Great atmosphere at the Stadium .

"Issues"Mcgee
08-06-2022, 11:02 PM
Great game, despite the slow start at the beginning. I can't remember the last time there was a noticably stronger contingent of Argos fans compared to the ticats fans at BMO.

Proud of the team and our city tonight!!

ArgoGabe22
08-06-2022, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure I saw Rogers again after he dropped/tipped that one pass but we really need him to replace Banks as a starter. Banks will never win a 50/50 that MBT just loves to throw at him.

"Issues"Mcgee
08-07-2022, 12:07 AM
11,623 according to Dan Ralph via CBC Sports.

Will
08-07-2022, 06:50 AM
Evans threw for 303 yards, but I wonder how much of that was in the first half? Adjustments were certainly made in the second half on defense.

The OL also played a much cleaner second half. Nice to get the win over the hated Tiger-Cats.

Scooter McCray
08-07-2022, 09:28 AM
11,623 according to Dan Ralph via CBC Sports.MLSE and Tannenbaum should look at that and say to themselves.......We get 11,000 fans doing absolutely nothing. We put a team on the field and we draw 10,000 plus.Imagine if we gave a crap and leveraged our resources. How could we not add 10-15,000 more. Amar Doman was right to give him hell. He may listen to him. He doesn't listen to his fanbase.

Will
08-07-2022, 09:32 AM
MLSE and Tannenbaum should look at that and say to themselves.......We get 11,000 fans doing absolutely nothing. We put a team on the field and we draw 10,000 plus.Imagine if we gave a crap and leveraged our resources. How could we not add 10-15,000 more. Amar Doman was right to give him hell. He may listen to him. He doesn't listen to his fanbase.

The first step is removing the bald man from his position.

paulwoods13
08-07-2022, 09:42 AM
Great team win. All three phases contributed, for the first time this season. The patched-together o-line was extremely leaky in the first half, and never provided much run blocking, but held up well in pass protection in the second half. The defence stiffened considerably after halftime. MBT found some open receivers, and shook off a few more bad drops (especially one late in the second quarter by Rogers, which killed a drive that looked destined to end in a touchdown).

A few concerns, apart from Harris's wrist injury, which apparently was only a stinger. Jake Reinhart was not long-snapping the second half; he did not seem to be injured, but the fact he was not in there suggests there was something wrong. His replacement(s) got the ball back to Haggerty but at least two of the place-kick snaps were not good, and one caused Bede to miss a FG. Hopefully Reinhart is back soon.

Also Rogers. For most of the night, the Argos constantly shuttled in two receivers/backs out of this group of four: Rogers, Daniels, Banks and Cross. But late in the game, there was no shuttling, and Rogers was sitting on the bench with the DBs rather than standing on the sideline near Dinwiddie and Cross. Was he injured? Benched? Simply told he was not going to be shuttled in any more? Whatever the reason, I really hope he is healthy and back in the lineup in five days.

ArgoZ
08-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Great atmosphere at the Stadium .

Obviously pumped in noise :D(I kid)

ArgoGabe22
08-07-2022, 11:14 AM

The Ticat fans who are suggesting this on twitter are just bitter and looking for excuses.

Will
08-07-2022, 11:17 AM
Great team win. All three phases contributed, for the first time this season. The patched-together o-line was extremely leaky in the first half, and never provided much run blocking, but held up well in pass protection in the second half. The defence stiffened considerably after halftime. MBT found some open receivers, and shook off a few more bad drops (especially one late in the second quarter by Rogers, which killed a drive that looked destined to end in a touchdown).

A few concerns, apart from Harris's wrist injury, which apparently was only a stinger. Jake Reinhart was not long-snapping the second half; he did not seem to be injured, but the fact he was not in there suggests there was something wrong. His replacement(s) got the ball back to Haggerty but at least two of the place-kick snaps were not good, and one caused Bede to miss a FG. Hopefully Reinhart is back soon.

Also Rogers. For most of the night, the Argos constantly shuttled in two receivers/backs out of this group of four: Rogers, Daniels, Banks and Cross. But late in the game, there was no shuttling, and Rogers was sitting on the bench with the DBs rather than standing on the sideline near Dinwiddie and Cross. Was he injured? Benched? Simply told he was not going to be shuttled in any more? Whatever the reason, I really hope he is healthy and back in the lineup in five days.

Reinhart's replacement was Calver who was ejected from the game and replaced by Hoyte.

Jack Cassar's presence was felt on special teams BTW.

Stevoman
08-07-2022, 12:36 PM
Obviously happy with the win but the offence needs to generate more touchdowns. The Argos cannot rely on the D and special teams to get them enough points each week. Great second half performance though and happy for Edwards!

Argos2020
08-07-2022, 12:51 PM
Reinhart's replacement was Calver who was ejected from the game and replaced by Hoyte.

Loved it! Had flash back's of Hoyte and Cassar causing havoc on Carleton Ravens defence :) sorry Domagala

gilthethrill
08-07-2022, 01:01 PM

On the bad snap that contributed to Bede missing that FG, I assumed Reinhart committed his first poor snap of his career. It was brought to my attention after the game that Jake was hurt and that Hoyte snapped that ball. Watching on TSN there was nary a mention of the Argos using 3 different players to LS. Sideline reporters should be reporting these moves instead of human interest stories that go on during live action.

Good come back by the Argos.

ArgoRavi
08-07-2022, 01:45 PM
Obviously happy with the win but the offence needs to generate more touchdowns. The Argos cannot rely on the D and special teams to get them enough points each week. Great second half performance though and happy for Edwards!

The offence has moved the ball well this season but they have also had to move it more than any other team in the league, I suspect. I noticed from the CFL's game notes that the average starting field position for the Argos is only their own 34 while I know that the league average is the 38. That's not an insignificant difference.

MBT's own passing stats are all in the top two to four in the league so he is being productive but they have to find a way to put more TDs on the board for sure and they somehow need to find a way to kickstart the return game.

To answer Will's question, I believe that Evans only passed for a little more than 100 yards in the second half and much of that came on the first possession of the second half. The Argos' coaching staff did an excellent job in their halftime adjustments.

It's weird how Hamilton tends to start well and finish terribly while the Argos are the complete opposite. I guess it's better to be an Argo than a freaking Tiger-Cat but it would still be nice to see the Argos get off to better starts.

Also, discipline was substantially improved last night.

ArgoRavi
08-07-2022, 01:49 PM
On the bad snap that contributed to Bede missing that FG, I assumed Reinhart committed his first poor snap of his career. It was brought to my attention after the game that Jake was hurt and that Hoyte snapped that ball. Watching on TSN there was nary a mention of the Argos using 3 different players to LS. Sideline reporters should be reporting these moves instead of human interest stories that go on during live action.

Good come back by the Argos.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, the likes of Tom McKee, Bill Stephenson and Al McCann would have been all over that even though Pat Marsden would get annoyed sometimes with how often Stevenson would cut in on him and Mike Wadsworth or Leif Pettersen. Matthew Scianitti tends to be okay but the news about the long-snapper was extremely important news that he should have been all over.

ArgoRavi
08-07-2022, 01:50 PM
Loved it! Had flash back's of Hoyte and Cassar causing havoc on Carleton Ravens defence :) sorry Domagala

There was a Carleton Ravens reunion in the Ticats backfield. Loved that!

Argo57
08-07-2022, 02:10 PM
Back in the 1970s and 1980s, the likes of Tom McKee, Bill Stevenson and Al McCann would have been all over that even though Pat Marsden would get annoyed sometimes with how often Stevenson would cut in on him and Mike Wadsworth or Leif Pettersen. Matthew Scianitti tends to be okay but the news about the long-snapper was extremely important news that he should have been all over.

The good old days when the game was the story.

AngeloV
08-07-2022, 02:17 PM

Laura Stewart has been brainwashed. Too much time near Barton Street can cloud a person’s mind.

AngeloV
08-07-2022, 02:20 PM
Back in the 1970s and 1980s, the likes of Tom McKee, Bill Stevenson and Al McCann would have been all over that even though Pat Marsden would get annoyed sometimes with how often Stevenson would cut in on him and Mike Wadsworth or Leif Pettersen. Matthew Scianitti tends to be okay but the news about the long-snapper was extremely important news that he should have been all over.

God did I hate Bill Stephenson.

Will
08-07-2022, 03:01 PM
God did I hate Bill Stephenson.

Which team did he play safety for again in the 1980's? :D

ArgoZ
08-07-2022, 03:23 PM
Howard Berger and Steve Simmons (mostly) silent after a fantastic Argos win. They would be calling for heads to roll and the upcoming Argos apocalypse if they lost yesterday. Honestly, why is it so hard to write something positive when there’s positive things to write about?

AngeloV
08-07-2022, 04:11 PM
Which team did he play safety for again in the 1980's? :D

Well, Edmonton did have an o-lineman with that name in their dynasty years. #62 I believe.

argolio
08-07-2022, 06:01 PM
Both lines were getting carved up early on before the tide began to turn late in the 2nd quarter. Credit to the players and coaches for reversing the momentum.

I hope the Rogers-Banks tandem is a short-term deal to ease Rogers back in as the full-time starter. Banks was never a great route-runner at his peak and he's regressed a lot since then. It's a liability for the team to play him more than a few plays as a receiver.

Reinhart was walking around on the sideline during the long-snapping drama. Hopefully just a minor injury.

OV Argo
08-07-2022, 11:00 PM
How has G. MacKellar held up the past 2 games - he's started, right? (was up at a cottage with no TV signal)

ArgoRavi
08-08-2022, 01:29 AM
Well, Edmonton did have an o-lineman with that name in their dynasty years. #62 I believe.

Yeah, the reporter was Bill Stephenson and the Edmonton lineman was Bill Stevenson, who played with Edmonton from 1975-88.

paulwoods13
08-08-2022, 07:44 AM
How has G. MacKellar held up the past 2 games - he's started, right? (was up at a cottage with no TV signal)

He has looked quite good. Definitely a keeper with longterm starting potential, IMO.

Will
08-08-2022, 07:45 AM

The line as a whole struggled in both pass and run protection against Ottawa and struggled in first half against Hamilton. They made some adjustments in the second half against Hamilton and it wasn't as glaring. I am not sure if MacKellar was the biggest problem on the line.

AngeloV
08-08-2022, 09:24 AM
The line as a whole struggled in both pass and run protection against Ottawa and struggled in first half against Hamilton. They made some adjustments in the second half against Hamilton and it wasn't as glaring. I am not sure if MacKellar was the biggest problem on the line.

MacKeller and Blake had a couple of communication issues in which MacKeller ended up picking up nobody, but those are growing pains. Overall, he has been quite good for a first year player out of AUS.
Ben Grant’s film session after the Ottawa game was quite informative on the o-line. I’ve said it before, but Ben is excellent in his analysis.

ArgoGabe22
08-08-2022, 11:31 AM
Laura Stewart has been brainwashed. Too much time near Barton Street can cloud a person’s mind.

She’s such a trusted source that 3DN is now running with that story.

AngeloV
08-08-2022, 12:36 PM
She’s such a trusted source that 3DN is now running with that story.

Idiot Josh Smith is running with it. I think they just give their contributors freedom on opinion pieces.

ArgoRavi
08-08-2022, 12:59 PM
Idiot Josh Smith is running with it. I think they just give their contributors freedom on opinion pieces.

Josh Smith has blocked me on Twitter and I don't even know why. I can't recall an interaction that I ever had with him but there must have been one somewhere along the way that he didn't like.

AngeloV
08-08-2022, 05:08 PM
Josh Smith has blocked me on Twitter and I don't even know why. I can't recall an interaction that I ever had with him but there must have been one somewhere along the way that he didn't like.

You probably liked or retweeted one of my insults for him, yet he hasn't blocked me. Strange. Must be because of my past in wrestling. Stupid mark!!

Argo57
08-08-2022, 06:03 PM

I’m sure he would gladly run with any narrative that slags the Argonauts.
The guy is a knob.

Argo57
08-08-2022, 06:03 PM
You probably liked or retweeted one of my insults for him, yet he hasn't blocked me. Strange. Must be because of my past in wrestling. Stupid mark!!

Ravi needs to watch who he associates with.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8