PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1995/1996 turnaround

Will
12-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Obviously the big acquisition that year was Doug Flutie. However, didn't the Argos also do an excellent job at the dispersal draft that year from all the American teams that were folding? I ask because obviously this year the Argos brought in Ray, but how much was the '96 turnaround Flutie and how much of it was the other talent that was brought in (O'Shea, the Smiths in the secondary, etc.)

paulwoods13
12-22-2011, 09:16 AM
My recollection is that most teams seriously upgraded their talent thanks to the dispersal draft and the influx of free agents. Hamilton got Dunigan, for instance (unfortunately he suffered a career-ending concussion early that season.) But the Argos did benefit enormously from some of the guys who came up from the U.S. teams, especially Waldrop, Kiselak and the two Smiths. Not so much from Tim Cofield, who was (I think) their first draft pick but wasn't much of a factor on the d-line. O'Shea did not arrive until around mid-season: his arrival allowed them to move Reggie Givens, who was having an all-star-type season at MLB, to rush end and thus solidified two positions for the price of one.

gilthethrill
12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
My recollection is that most teams seriously upgraded their talent thanks to the dispersal draft and the influx of free agents. Hamilton got Dunigan, for instance (unfortunately he suffered a career-ending concussion early that season.) But the Argos did benefit enormously from some of the guys who came up from the U.S. teams, especially Waldrop, Kiselak and the two Smiths. Not so much from Tim Cofield, who was (I think) their first draft pick but wasn't much of a factor on the d-line. O'Shea did not arrive until around mid-season: his arrival allowed them to move Reggie Givens, who was having an all-star-type season at MLB, to rush end and thus solidified two positions for the price of one.

Ottawa drafted a dead guy, a defensive tackle who played in Las Vegas I believe...Cofield was limited by a motor vehicle accident (injured his neck, it never stopped aggravating him) on the way to TC with Pee Wee Smith, they hit a deer on the 401 near Chatham if I recall.

ArgoRavi
12-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Ottawa drafted a dead guy, a defensive tackle who played in Las Vegas I believe...Cofield was limited by a motor vehicle accident (injured his neck, it never stopped aggravating him) on the way to TC with Pee Wee Smith, they hit a deer on the 401 near Chatham if I recall.

I recall that Cofield had to retire following that season because of that injury.

Ron
12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Mathews did a great job in the dispersal draft. Surprised many when he chose a number of defensive players off the Memphis squad.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8