PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread Hamilton at Argos Aug 26, 2022

AngeloV
08-25-2022, 12:00 PM
Argos really need to win this one. Both teams battling injuries, so it should be an interesting game. I get that 4 out of 5 against the same team is overkill, but I for one love the atmosphere with the Cats are in town.
Dane Evans returns to the starter's role for Hamilton.

Depth chart and full roster can be found at the below CFL.CA link.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Aug-26-2022-vs-HAM-Depth-PDF.pdf

Ti-Cats depth chart and roster below.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Depth-Chart-Roster-08-26-22.pdf

paulwoods13
08-25-2022, 12:16 PM
Zero fullbacks in the lineup this week. Just a guess that we will have trouble establishing a running game.

AngeloV
08-25-2022, 12:59 PM
Zero fullbacks in the lineup this week. Just a guess that we will have trouble establishing a running game.

Yes, I think they might use one of the extra o-lineman in a TE role more than normal.

OV Argo
08-25-2022, 01:54 PM

Did Carbone play a single down on offence when he was dressed last game? Asking, cause i didn't notice.

Really, these offensive coaches don't get a varied or strong application of a fullback or H-back (interesting to see Ticats' brilliant (LOL) 1st round pick Jake Burt catch a 25 yard gainer out of tight end last game); might as well line-up an extra O-lineman, I guess - not sure it will do much good though.

paulwoods13
08-25-2022, 02:30 PM
Carbone got hurt very early, but IIRC he did get into the offence before he was injured. Dinwiddie said losing him killed part of their playbook since they had no fullback after that. Before Cross got hurt, he was getting a lot of offensive snaps.

OV Argo
08-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Carbone got hurt very early, but IIRC he did get into the offence before he was injured. Dinwiddie said losing him killed part of their playbook since they had no fullback after that. Before Cross got hurt, he was getting a lot of offensive snaps.

Lame excuse by Dinwiddie; a lot of CFL H-backs now are converted linebackers or guys who were mostly just blocking backs in college ball; if the position is oh so important to this diverse offence (LOL), then why not have a guy with the body type or strength/athleticism to just block, be prepared as a back-up at the position to the one other guy listed as "fullback" - I'm guessing Cassar, Calver or Penny could easily learn/do the job.

Shatto
08-25-2022, 03:20 PM
Lame excuse by Dinwiddie; a lot of CFL H-backs now are converted linebackers or guys who were mostly just blocking backs in college ball; if the position is oh so important to this diverse offence (LOL), then why not have a guy with the body type or strength/athleticism to just block, be prepared as a back-up at the position to the one other guy listed as "fullback" - I'm guessing Cassar, Calver or Penny could easily learn/do the job.

Completely agree. To have no alternative for an injured player is unacceptable. Another coaching blunder.

paulwoods13
08-25-2022, 06:36 PM
Yeah, let's stick a guy from defence on offence in a position he has not played ever, or at least since high school, and ask him to learn the (150? 250? 500?) plays in the offensive playbook. In a week. That will work for sure.

Hey, the Argos brass deserve every bit of condemnation I (and a few others) have heaped on them for personnel management blunders this year. Having no option to replace two injured fullbacks is another one of those, albeit of far lesser importance than having no viable offensive tackle to replace two of those. But complaining they did not convert a linebacker to fullback in one week might be a bit rich.

OV Argo
08-25-2022, 07:09 PM
Yeah, let's stick a guy from defence on offence in a position he has not played ever, or at least since high school, and ask him to learn the (150? 250? 500?) plays in the offensive playbook. In a week. That will work for sure.

Hey, the Argos brass deserve every bit of condemnation I (and a few others) have heaped on them for personnel management blunders this year. Having no option to replace two injured fullbacks is another one of those, albeit of far lesser importance than having no viable offensive tackle to replace two of those. But complaining they did not convert a linebacker to fullback in one week might be a bit rich.

It's called having some vision, plus knowing how to utilize players on the roster with some versatility; the "fullback" is just a simple blocker in this oh so so-fist-icated Argo offence; a couple of back-up LBs learn the position from TC on in, just like they have to learn various ST roles; not too much to ask.

AngeloV
08-25-2022, 07:45 PM
Completely agree. To have no alternative for an injured player is unacceptable. Another coaching blunder.

I think I would blame management more than the coach for not having personnel available. Heaven forbid Pinball and the management team take blame for anything.

Shatto
08-25-2022, 10:55 PM

It is quite proper to disagree with another's opinion but with the greatest of respect, not with sarcasm. Paul, I admire and respect your opinions but you are better than that.

Penny-Laryea started his college career as a RB and with 4.58 speed could be an excellent fill in at FB. Since he primarily plays on special teams only, it shouldn't be too onerous a task, to learn the FB role. He is intelligent (former All-Academic) with great speed (40 in 4.58). I'm old enough to remember players playing full time on both offense and defense, granted in simpler times, so it can be done.

argolio
08-25-2022, 11:20 PM
I think I would blame management more than the coach for not having personnel available. Heaven forbid Pinball and the management team take blame for anything.Or maybe it's ownership. I'm getting a David Braley vibe based on MLSE's current commitment to the team.

ArgoRavi
08-26-2022, 01:24 AM
I think I would blame management more than the coach for not having personnel available. Heaven forbid Pinball and the management team take blame for anything.

Or maybe it's ownership. I'm getting a David Braley vibe based on MLSE's current commitment to the team.

It may be a bit of both.

I have said before that Pinball loves his veteran players. When he was head coach, it seemed like he would go with a vet any day over a younger player. Think back to 2007 and how old that team was; by the end of the season, the offence contained the likes of Mookie Mitchell, Marc Boerigter, John Avery, Robert Edwards, and Troy Davis - none of whom returned the following season. The signings of Brandon Banks and Andrew Harris have Pinball's name written all of over them - for good or bad - although I tend to go with the negative here. Neither seemed like a great fit for Dinwiddie's offence.

As for ownership, could they at least pretend to care?

paulwoods13
08-26-2022, 08:14 AM
It is quite proper to disagree with another's opinion but with the greatest of respect, not with sarcasm. Paul, I admire and respect your opinions but you are better than that.

Penny-Laryea started his college career as a RB and with 4.58 speed could be an excellent fill in at FB. Since he primarily plays on special teams only, it shouldn't be too onerous a task, to learn the FB role. He is intelligent (former All-Academic) with great speed (40 in 4.58). I'm old enough to remember players playing full time on both offense and defense, granted in simpler times, so it can be done.

Sorry for the sarcasm (which clearly was not directed at you, FWIW). How realistic is it to expect a defensive player to learn an offence? Offensive playbooks have literally hundreds of plays. For anyone (again, not you) to suggest that all a FB needs to know how to do is block ignores the reality that blocking is just as schemed up as pass patterns are. (And we have seen plenty of examples this year of blocking schemes breaking down.)

Sadly, the simpler times when players played both ways are long gone. I would love it if football became simpler and less coaching-driven, but that ship sailed decades ago.

Will
08-26-2022, 08:18 AM
I don't care how they do it, just win the fucking game!

paulwoods13
08-26-2022, 08:18 AM
I have said before that Pinball loves his veteran players. When he was head coach, it seemed like he would go with a vet any day over a younger player. Think back to 2007 and how old that team was; by the end of the season, the offence contained the likes of Mookie Mitchell, Marc Boerigter, John Avery, Robert Edwards, and Troy Davis - none of whom returned the following season. The signings of Brandon Banks and Andrew Harris have Pinball's name written all of over them - for good or bad - although I tend to go with the negative here. Neither seemed like a great fit for Dinwiddie's offence.

Yes, Pinball was likely the driving force behind those signings. But I don't think he is doing much of what is normally expected of general managers, including scouting prospective players. That role was held last year by Murphy, who had to go but IMO has not been adequately replaced. I don't see Barker as a viable head of personnel at this point, and I hope Magri is not expected to fulfil that role at this stage of his career. And I believe that because Murphy left and was not replaced, most of the personnel decisions that have been questionable or downright wrong were likely made by the head coach.

Scooter McCray
08-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Pinball should always have been, and still should be the President of the team. He can install a GM who can then build their own staff from scouting to coaching. Pinball can focus on getting bums in seats and building a fanbase. I have actually forgotten the name of the current President. MLSE should be embarrassed about the neglect they have shown a pro team in this city.

ArgofanIan
08-26-2022, 09:48 AM
Looking forward to going to the game today. This is my favorite game of the year. always great atmosphere when Ticats and their fans visit. Always admire the passion of the Ticat fans.. Lots of pressure on both Quarterbacks. Just hoping for a good game... Would be nice to keep hold of the Ballard cup ... GO ARRERRGOS !!!

OV Argo
08-26-2022, 12:22 PM
Sorry for the sarcasm (which clearly was not directed at you, FWIW). How realistic is it to expect a defensive player to learn an offence? Offensive playbooks have literally hundreds of plays. For anyone (again, not you) to suggest that all a FB needs to know how to do is block ignores the reality that blocking is just as schemed up as pass patterns are. (And we have seen plenty of examples this year of blocking schemes breaking down.)

Sadly, the simpler times when players played both ways are long gone. I would love it if football became simpler and less coaching-driven, but that ship sailed decades ago.

And sadly as well, you must be gosh golly impressed by the complexity of this Argo offence and the incredible schemes it would take to learn to block. ;o) Sorry bout the sarcasm, and let's not criticize a coaching genius like Dinwiddie too much now. And BTW - does Pinball get to dictate to the Argo coaching staff that Banks is on the roster, where he lines up and that he gets deemed a go to target ?

paulwoods13
08-26-2022, 12:35 PM
And sadly as well, you must be gosh golly impressed by the complexity of this Argo offence and the incredible schemes it would take to learn to block. ;o) Sorry bout the sarcasm, and let's not criticize a coaching genius like Dinwiddie too much now. And BTW - does Pinball get to dictate to the Argo coaching staff that Banks is on the roster, where he lines up and that he gets deemed a go to target ?

You're not alone in criticizing the Argo offence, as you must know if you have been reading this forum closely. That is, however, beside the point. Do you or do you not agree that any offence, however effective, has hundreds of plays and could not be learned in one week by a defensive player? Do you or do you not agree that blocking schemes are an important part of the design of any offence, however effective?

As for Pinball, I don't believe he is dictating much, if anything, to the coaching staff, which IMO is part of the problem we've had with personnel decisions. The GM should endeavour to get players a coach wants, but should have ultimate decision-making authority on who gets kept. Coaches should determine how the players are used. Again, do you agree or disagree?

OV Argo
08-26-2022, 01:01 PM
You're not alone in criticizing the Argo offence, as you must know if you have been reading this forum closely. That is, however, beside the point. Do you or do you not agree that any offence, however effective, has hundreds of plays and could not be learned in one week by a defensive player? Do you or do you not agree that blocking schemes are an important part of the design of any offence, however effective?

As for Pinball, I don't believe he is dictating much, if anything, to the coaching staff, which IMO is part of the problem we've had with personnel decisions. The GM should endeavour to get players a coach wants, but should have ultimate decision-making authority on who gets kept. Coaches should determine how the players are used. Again, do you agree or disagree?

Agreed for sure on the Pinball/GM aspect.

But I also believe, like Shatto above, that a back-up defensive player/ special teams linebacker, could/should easily be able to learn the ultra part-time position on offence enough to be able to go in and do the job well enough in case the one main fullback goes down; I would not say that for a defensive player being counted on to play receiver or tailback though. Of course blocking schemes are important. So what do you think of the number of CFL teams now who dress just one back-up O-lineman on the game roster? - 2 injuries in-game to O-linemen have happened before; so then you see a big D-lineman forced to go into the game at O-line? = myopic, dumb, embarrassing IMO, especially with CFL rosters so large now.

AngeloV
08-26-2022, 01:34 PM
I don't care how they do it, just win the fucking game!

You're banned.

AngeloV
08-26-2022, 01:37 PM

When his response to someone that is nothing but sarcastic (and repetitive) with each and every post made, I will give Paul a pass on that one.

kellynjk
08-26-2022, 02:22 PM
Well I do think people have a point about the Argos seemingly lacking good contingency plans when it comes to injuries (which they know are likely at this point in the season) and making effective adjustments to the offence or offensive plays. As was mentioned in a previous thread, if there is not currently a big priority on scouting that is a huge problem, not just now, but going forward

Generally speaking is it the General Manager or the Coach that should be responsible for identifying weaknesses on the team, finding new talent etc. or should it be a joint endeavour between the two?

OV Argo
08-26-2022, 02:40 PM
When his response to someone that is nothing but sarcastic (and repetitive) with each and every post made, I will give Paul a pass on that one.

As will I. ;o)

Each and every post the exact same thing; no need for reading; or comprehension.

jerrym
08-26-2022, 07:56 PM
Argo D had poor coverage on six minute opening march downfield by Hamilton leading to a FG.

jerrym
08-26-2022, 08:01 PM
Another poor throw on a long pass by MBT leads to an interception. He stills has trouble on long throws but that is hardly news.

kellynjk
08-26-2022, 08:02 PM
I think with the first interception thrown by MBT, the Argos should put Chad Kelly in - follow other CFL teams by utilizing two quarterbacks. It's just become too predictable that MBT will have at best, an "IFFY" game!!

jerrym
08-26-2022, 08:09 PM
Evans returns the favour with an INT to Peters.

jerrym
08-26-2022, 08:33 PM
Evans trying to do much by running and moving the ball around in preparation to throw now gives up his seventh fumble. He has repeatedly been careless in handling the ball.

jerrym
08-26-2022, 08:47 PM
Hamilton looking a lot more impressive with Shiltz leading them downfield to a TD after Evans lacklustre performance.

jerrym
08-26-2022, 09:19 PM
After a sluggish first half, MBT leads Argos downfield for a TD. Hopefully a sign of more to come.

Scooter McCray
08-26-2022, 09:24 PM
You're banned.For those about to be banned, we salute you.
This team sucks hard C0C#

jerrym
08-26-2022, 09:25 PM
Impressive 58 yard FG by Small.

Scooter McCray
08-26-2022, 09:33 PM
Shane Ray - Sack Lunch

argotom
08-26-2022, 09:33 PM
Einstein famous saying remains so appropriate with MBT and Dinwiddie, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
The former is predictable with starting the game and continuing with torrid performances while the latter is stubborn in leaving him in.
The former must have pictures on the latter.

Scooter McCray
08-26-2022, 09:35 PM
Brandon Banks reverse. Now that's a creative play call

Scooter McCray
08-26-2022, 09:37 PM
Matt Shlitz banged up.
Nice TD by Daniels

Scooter McCray
08-26-2022, 09:44 PM
TD Country again

Scooter McCray
08-26-2022, 09:46 PM
For those about to be banned, we salute you.
This team sucks hard C0C#The TiCats suck hard not the Argos

Scooter McCray
08-26-2022, 09:53 PM
Jamal Peters defensive player of the week

jerrym
08-26-2022, 09:54 PM
And impressive FG by Bede to counter Small.

kellynjk
08-26-2022, 09:58 PM
What a night Peters has had!!!!

jerrym
08-26-2022, 10:10 PM
Jamal Peters defensive player of the week

How about offensive player of the game too!

jerrym
08-26-2022, 10:32 PM
Impressive second part of the game for MBT going 15/21 for 221 yards after starting 4/11 for 29 yards with an INT.

Shatto
08-26-2022, 10:50 PM
A good win. We saw both versions of MBT tonight. Ineffective to begin with but excellent in the 2nd half. It is difficult to judge on TV but Mackellar appeared to have a disappointing game. I was impressed by Brandon Barlow's play. If he continues to play a the same level, we may have found a valuable addition to the DL. And--what can one say about Peters--outstanding!

"Issues"Mcgee
08-26-2022, 11:28 PM
A good win. We saw both versions of MBT tonight. Ineffective to begin with but excellent in the 2nd half. It is difficult to judge on TV but Mackellar appeared to have a disappointing game. I was impressed by Brandon Barlow's play. If he continues to play a the same level, we may have found a valuable addition to the DL. And--what can one say about Peters--outstanding!

MBT is like.... Dr. Bethel and Mr. Thompson.

....I'll show myself out.

argosrule2415
08-27-2022, 12:08 AM
<article class="message-body js-selectToQuote" id="js-XFUniqueId122"> That was a shockingly dominant win. Always cool to beat the Ticats. The game would have been much tighter if Shiltz didn't get injured. I still wouldn't want to face the Ticats in the playoffs. We always seem to lose to them in the post-season for whatever reason.

Let's see if MBT can actually put together solid games for 2 or 3 consecutive weeks. He was really good tonight.

</article>

dmont
08-27-2022, 12:29 AM
Fun night at BMO!

Macbeth sure shut everybody up tonight. I thought he had a great game. Even his interception in the first quarter wasn't a big deal. Similar to the nova Scotia game, it was second down, didn't see anyone open close by, and had a receiver streaking down the sideline. There's really no cost to making that throw. Either the receiver makes the catch (yay), there's a PI call (yay) the pass is incomplete (leads to punt) or there is an interception way back in the hamilton zone (same impact as punt). It was a vet move.

Don't want to hear anything else about a QB switch. Not only is Macbeth the QB who should be playing, but even if you love Chad Kelly, the worst thing you could do to him is throw him in a game with this o line and these receivers. You trying to crush the kid before he's even grasped the Canadian game?

Enough said about Peters. He will be in Dane Evans' nightmares for years.

I really liked Ambles tonight. Daniels made some huge catches in addition to his touchdown.

I was at the game so it was tough to determine, but how did we win that game without much from our running backs??? Hamilton should have been able to lock up our receivers if they didn't have anything to worry about from the run.

I didn't get a good look at the Eric Sutton play. Was it a big deal? I didn't hear a reaction from the crowd. Looked pretty routine to me.

I hung out by the tunnel after the game. Some very happy looking players headed to the dressing room. Macbeth and McManis had a long moment in the tunnel hugging and talking in each other's ears. The girl next to me said "are they kissing?"

Great bounce-back game. Should be playing loose and relaxed next week.

Stevoman
08-27-2022, 12:39 AM
Only saw the second half but it looked good to me! Happy to see them finally get some scores consistently in the redzone.

"Issues"Mcgee
08-27-2022, 12:51 AM
I cannot find the attendance other than on the box score page on CBC News, which at the time of me writing this says 0. Thanks, CBC.

Last week we had 12,582.

dmont
08-27-2022, 01:10 AM
I cannot find the attendance other than on the box score page on CBC News, which at the time of me writing this says 0. Thanks, CBC.

Last week we had 12,582.

I think I saw 14.5k on facebook.

ArgoRavi
08-27-2022, 02:22 AM
Another poor throw on a long pass by MBT leads to an interception. He stills has trouble on long throws but that is hardly news.

That's an INT, like the one he threw in Nova Scotia, that didn't bother me one bit. The receiver wasn't open but it's worth trying to stretch the field and that pass on a second and long was as good as a punt.

Later in the game, he threw an absolutely beautiful deep ball to Coxie which set up the game-clinching FG.

ArgoRavi
08-27-2022, 02:28 AM
I was at the game so it was tough to determine, but how did we win that game without much from our running backs??? Hamilton should have been able to lock up our receivers if they didn't have anything to worry about from the run.

I didn't get a good look at the Eric Sutton play. Was it a big deal? I didn't hear a reaction from the crowd. Looked pretty routine to me.

The bad news tonight is I believe that both Leake and Ouellette were injured. TSN said something about the latter sustaining an injury early on and he didn't see the field much in the first half. Leake played most of the first half but then didn't see the field in the second - not even as a kick returner - so I assume he was nicked up also.

Sutton appeared to punch a Ticat in the groin area which is why he was ejected.

Rich
08-27-2022, 03:15 AM
I thought Mac won this game for the Argonauts tonight. With 6 minutes left in the 3rd, we’re down by 6 points and he grabs the game by the throat and settles it, just like that. That’s what you need your QB to do every now and then. It’s not just about great passes, it’s about great passes at crucial times, that’s how a QB wins a game. Full props to the big fella.

See what happens when you connect on a couple of long balls? It’s more than the yardage gained, you ignite big energy on the team that builds quickly. Can it possibly be reasonable to hope that MBT is after four years finally getting better at throwing them?

dmont
08-27-2022, 09:42 AM
Sutton appeared to punch a Ticat in the groin area which is why he was ejected.

Saw that on sportscentre. I withdraw my objection. I bet he gets suspended.

AngeloV
08-27-2022, 09:47 AM
Wow, did that ever feel good. I'm sure it was mostly the result of piping in fake crowd noise. :)

It was a very slow start for the Argos again, and IMO the turning point was the TD drive at the end of the first half. Something about going no huddle that brings out the best in MBT. Argos really should do it more often.

For those at the game, it was pretty easy to see that the receivers were not getting open for most of the first half. Whatever adjustments Dinwiddie made worked. MBT was the least of the problems in the first half as he has been all season. Still need to get better play from the O-line, but I don't know how that will happen. They just aren't quite good enough. Good thing MBT can take a beating.

As has been said in this thread already, tremendous game by Jamal Peters. Not just with the picks, but a great play against the run and also on a hitch screen fighting through blockers. This guy is really good.
Nice game for Brandon Barlow on the DE rotation. When I was at practice, I wondered who this #95 guy was. 4 tackles and a sack is a very good game.

Was Dane Evans really crying again?

Paul will love this one. When the play ended with MBT taking a sack leading to Bede's last FG of the game, there was 7:33 on the clock. I was thinking Argos will take a 3 possession lead with just over 7 minutes remaining. The FG was kicked with 6:44 remaining on the clock. It took 49 seconds between the sack and the end of the FG. 28 seconds ticked before the next play was whistled in, and the Argos ran the clock down to 1 second before snapping. That my friends is why scoring in the CFL is not what it was in the 80's and 90's. The fast pace of the 20 second play clock is no longer a thing.

paulwoods13
08-27-2022, 10:58 AM
That was a great TEAM win. The defence balled out all night, and the O showed what it can be if MBT gets a bit of time and receivers catch the damn ball. There were a few terrible drops (as usual), but once the offence got into a rhythm, everyone was grabbing the ball. Coxie's deep reception down the left sideline was a superb catch and showed what going after the ball looks like.

I was very impressed with the intensity and camaraderie on the sideline in the second half. MBT in particular seemed to decide he was no longer going to just sit looking at the tablet when the Argos are on defence. He still reviewed series with Miller, but he was also pumping guys up after plays both good and bad. When Peters took it to the house, MBT was practically the first guy off the bench leading the mob scene in the end zone. Even Dinwiddie seemed more into things than usual. He was talking vociferously to members of the defence when they were going onto the field, and he and MBT had some intense (and, to me, at least, joyous) exchanges after a couple of the touchdowns.

Too bad Leake is gone again. Let's hope Ouellette isn't also a scratch next week.

Will
08-27-2022, 10:59 AM
I am happy and content this morning.

MBT very good from late second half on, and Coach Sweet made some nice adjustments with his OL in the second half.

Also, what can you say about Jamal Peters!

Don't take the foot off the gas, beat them on Labour Day!

paulwoods13
08-27-2022, 10:59 AM
Paul will love this one. When the play ended with MBT taking a sack leading to Bede's last FG of the game, there was 7:33 on the clock. I was thinking Argos will take a 3 possession lead with just over 7 minutes remaining. The FG was kicked with 6:44 remaining on the clock. It took 49 seconds between the sack and the end of the FG. 28 seconds ticked before the next play was whistled in, and the Argos ran the clock down to 1 second before snapping. That my friends is why scoring in the CFL is not what it was in the 80's and 90's. The fast pace of the 20 second play clock is no longer a thing.

Great spotting, AV, and sadly not at all surprising. We are now in a 110-plays-per-game era, like it or not. It was close to 130 plays per game in 1990-91.

gilthethrill
08-27-2022, 11:02 AM
Our 3 DEs all made plays. Ray with 2 sacks, Barlow with a sack and a tackle that stopped Don Jackson short of a 1st down that caused a turnover on downs and Robbie Smith with a qb pressure on Evans that ended up in Peter’s hands for his 2nd pick. I think Dane has a pec or shoulder injury on his throwing side from a hit by Oakman.
Yes AV, Evans had tears in his eyes on the sidelines late in the 4th.
I was curious why Leake wasn’t returning kicks, as TSN didn’t make mention of any injury that I am aware of but that the sideline reporter had some nice human interest stories as always:).
A sure fire loss for the Argos on Labour Day is no longer expected. Hamilton felt the season slip into the muddy waters last night.

paulwoods13
08-27-2022, 11:06 AM
Our 3 DEs all made plays. Ray with 2 sacks, Barlow with a sack and a tackle that stopped Don Jackson short of a 1st down that caused a turnover on downs and Robbie Smith with a qb pressure on Evans that ended up in Peter’s hands for his 2nd pick. I think Dane has a pec or shoulder injury on his throwing side from a hit by Oakman.

I haven't yet seen the play on video, but the "strip sack" by Acheampong (perhaps assisted by someone else, I couldn't tell at the time) was also a tremendous play by the d-line.

gilthethrill
08-27-2022, 11:09 AM
I haven't yet seen the play on video, but the "strip sack" by Acheampong (perhaps assisted by someone else, I couldn't tell at the time) was also a tremendous play by the d-line.

Yes, Evans had gained yards on the run play and another Argo I believe partially dislodged the ball from the beleaguered Hamilton QB and Sam A made a great play.

AngeloV
08-27-2022, 12:42 PM

It was Shane Ray that dislodged the ball.

argolio
08-27-2022, 02:02 PM
Einstein famous saying remains so appropriate with MBT and Dinwiddie, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
The former is predictable with starting the game and continuing with torrid performances while the latter is stubborn in leaving him in.
The former must have pictures on the latter.When did Einstein play football?

Great win that was even greater because it was against "them". Props to Jamal Peters and the the D in general. Every one made a contribution. Robbie Smith as a rotational DE has shown steady growth as a player. His speed is a big asset.

Looking at the bigger picture, I'm still concerned about o-line play and injuries at receiver and now running back. This could be another one of those 9-9 seasons, and we're pretty good at making those end well.

ArgoRavi
08-27-2022, 02:16 PM

AV, does your source in the CFL's officiating ranks have any explanation as to why this kind of thing happens?

I was also bothered by how much time the Ticats had at the end of the first half to figure out who their FG kicker was going to be. Move the game along, officials!

ArgoRavi
08-27-2022, 02:20 PM
When did Einstein play football?

Great win that was even greater because it was against "them". Props to Jamal Peters and the the D in general. Every one made a contribution. Robbie Smith as a rotational DE has shown steady growth as a player. His speed is a big asset.

Looking at the bigger picture, I'm still concerned about o-line play and injuries at receiver and now running back. This could be another one of those 9-9 seasons, and we're pretty good at making those end well.

I am still holding out hope for a winning record. At the beginning of the season, I had hoped for a 12-6 or 11-7 season at the worst so this season has had some more challenges than expected but I don't see any reason why at least 10-8 isn't possible. The Corey Mace defence seems to be getting better weekly and special teams coverage has gotten back on track too. Injuries have definitely had a huge impact offensively but MBT continues to tough it out there.

paulwoods13
08-27-2022, 03:30 PM
I am still holding out hope for a winning record. At the beginning of the season, I had hoped for a 12-6 or 11-7 season at the worst so this season has had some more challenges than expected but I don't see any reason why at least 10-8 isn't possible. The Corey Mace defence seems to be getting better weekly and special teams coverage has gotten back on track too. Injuries have definitely had a huge impact offensively but MBT continues to tough it out there.

10-8 would be fabulous at this point. To get there we will have to go 5-3, a tall order given we have just two home games left. Have to win both of those and also win three out of five road games at Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal and Edmonton. I'm assuming we will not win at Calgary, but every other game is at least theoretically winnable.

paulwoods13
08-27-2022, 03:32 PM
I was also bothered by how much time the Ticats had at the end of the first half to figure out who their FG kicker was going to be. Move the game along, officials!

Yes, that was utterly ridiculous. It's one thing to wait until the offence has its 12 men in the huddle to start the 20, but it's way beyond the spirit of the rule to hold off so the offence can consider making further personnel changes. I think Steinauer is extremely good at working the officials to his advantage.

AngeloV
08-27-2022, 04:29 PM
AV, does your source in the CFL's officiating ranks have any explanation as to why this kind of thing happens?

Strangely he told me that the league mandated to move things along quicker on kicking situations. And I agree with you, the play clock should have been moving on the last play of the first half. In essence, Ben Major allowed the Ti-Cats to make 2 personnel changes before starting the play clock. That should not have happened.

Argo57
08-27-2022, 05:03 PM
Great weather, an Argonaut win while my son and I enjoyed the game with some good friends!!
Not a bad Friday evening!

ArgofanIan
08-27-2022, 06:57 PM
Great weather, an Argonaut win while my son and I enjoyed the game with some good friends!!

Was a great evening... My son made it to the game as well ... Like I said before its always great atmosphere when the Tigercats and their fans are at BMO. Seemed like lots of new ARGO fans.

We sit same section as the ARGO Lifers... Tiger cat section was full of their fans...Turned around and Bon Young was front and center in the box behind their fans.. He is a class act IMO.

AngeloV
08-27-2022, 07:54 PM

Always great to sit with you guys and enjoy live Argos action.

primetime31
08-28-2022, 01:32 AM
Yes, that was utterly ridiculous. It's one thing to wait until the offence has its 12 men in the huddle to start the 20, but it's way beyond the spirit of the rule to hold off so the offence can consider making further personnel changes. I think Steinauer is extremely good at working the officials to his advantage.

It is situations like these that highlight why the power to blow time in must be taken away from the officials and an automatic clock utilized.

paulwoods13
08-28-2022, 10:13 AM
It is situations like these that highlight why the power to blow time in must be taken away from the officials and an automatic clock utilized.

Yes! A 30-second clock that starts as soon as the whistle goes to end the previous play. Same as NFL, except 30 seconds rather than 40. If teams can't be ready to go in 30 seconds, too bad. Leaving it to the discretion of the refs means inconsistency and at times sheer stupidity.

ArgoGabe22
08-28-2022, 02:10 PM
Yes AV, Evans had tears in his eyes on the sidelines late in the 4th.
I was curious why Leake wasn’t returning kicks, as TSN didn’t make mention of any injury that I am aware of but that the sideline reporter had some nice human interest stories as always:).
A sure fire loss for the Argos on Labour Day is no longer expected. Hamilton felt the season slip into the muddy waters last night.

I didn’t see the game, not sure who was the reporter but I think Scianetti’s stock has fallen over the years. He started out pretty promising and kinda plateaued as the sideline guy. I liked Jermain Franklin but seems he’s moved to Sportscentre.

AngeloV
08-28-2022, 03:31 PM
Yes! A 30-second clock that starts as soon as the whistle goes to end the previous play. Same as NFL, except 30 seconds rather than 40. If teams can't be ready to go in 30 seconds, too bad. Leaving it to the discretion of the refs means inconsistency and at times sheer stupidity.

This would be great. stay with the 20 second clock on out of bounds, incomplete or penalty, and move to 30 second immediate start on plays that end in bounds.

ArgoRavi
08-28-2022, 10:44 PM
I didn’t see the game, not sure who was the reporter but I think Scianetti’s stock has fallen over the years. He started out pretty promising and kinda plateaued as the sideline guy. I liked Jermain Franklin but seems he’s moved to Sportscentre.

The sideline reporter needs to be focused on the injury situation; that has to be their top priority, along with anything else that they witness on the sidelines. That's the way it used to be with the old sideline reporters like Bill Stephenson, Tom McKee, and Al McCann. We need that much more than the canned stuff that they try to force in.

ArgoRavi
08-28-2022, 10:45 PM
This would be great. stay with the 20 second clock on out of bounds, incomplete or penalty, and move to 30 second immediate start on plays that end in bounds.

Great ideas here on how the clock should operate! Hopefully that's the next change that the league makes this off-season.

paulwoods13
08-29-2022, 08:33 AM

Scianitti is a good reporter -- it's not his fault that TSN typically does not want actual news from the sideline (unless it involves a huge star getting hurt or something really extraordinary like the Banks-Tate scrap earlier this year). TSN wants its sideline reporters doing human-interest features, not the type of news reporting Bill Stephenson, Al McCann and Scott Oake used to do back in the day.

AngeloV
08-29-2022, 11:05 AM
Scianitti is a good reporter -- it's not his fault that TSN typically does not want actual news from the sideline (unless it involves a huge star getting hurt or something really extraordinary like the Banks-Tate scrap earlier this year). TSN wants its sideline reporters doing human-interest features, not the type of news reporting Bill Stephenson, Al McCann and Scott Oake used to do back in the day.

I don’t know what type of reporting those guys did in the day that was different other than player interviews, and I suspect the reason that doesn’t happen anymore is because the teams won’t allow it.

paulwoods13
08-29-2022, 11:33 AM
I don’t know what type of reporting those guys did in the day that was different other than player interviews, and I suspect the reason that doesn’t happen anymore is because the teams won’t allow it.

If you watch the 1982 Grey Cup you will see Brian Williams, on the Argo sideline, informing viewers that Holloway is having trouble holding the wet ball. That's the type of reporting and inside info we would sometimes (often?) get back then. Player interviews are rarely informative, whether during play or at halftime. But an astute reporter with good access to the bench can pick important stuff up. Scianitti and the other reporters nowadays are stuck in the limbo area between benches most of the time.

ArgoRavi
08-29-2022, 02:08 PM
If you watch the 1982 Grey Cup you will see Brian Williams, on the Argo sideline, informing viewers that Holloway is having trouble holding the wet ball. That's the type of reporting and inside info we would sometimes (often?) get back then. Player interviews are rarely informative, whether during play or at halftime. But an astute reporter with good access to the bench can pick important stuff up. Scianitti and the other reporters nowadays are stuck in the limbo area between benches most of the time.

Even watching the 1983 East Final, Bill Stephenson was being fed information from backup QB Joe Barnes, as I recall, and would report that information back to the audience.

AngeloV
08-29-2022, 02:41 PM

I still can’t think it has more to do with the teams than the reporters. Teams are so paranoid of giving out any info that may give any advantage to their opponents these days.

paulwoods13
08-29-2022, 05:17 PM
I still can’t think it has more to do with the teams than the reporters. Teams are so paranoid of giving out any info that may give any advantage to their opponents these days.

Can't dispute that, but if they actually had one good reporter on each team's bench for the full game, I'd bet we would get some actual news from time to time.

Will
08-29-2022, 09:44 PM
Even watching the 1983 East Final, Bill Stephenson was being fed information from backup QB Joe Barnes, as I recall, and would report that information back to the audience.

I think I read in Frank Cosentino's book that Sazio lobbied for this to be stopped a season or two later.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8