PDA

View Full Version : USports Football 2022

Mocha
08-28-2022, 08:35 AM
Not a great start for the Toronto teams.

U of T lost to Queens 47-25. It looks like it was a good, close game till the 4th quarter, when Queens scored 20 and Toronto 0.

https://usports.ca/en/sports/football/m/schedule-results

And York lost to Waterloo 41-8.

https://usports.ca/en/sports/football/m/schedule-results

OV Argo
08-29-2022, 12:59 AM
Went to the Ravens/Mac game - pretty good tilt - evenly matched teams pretty well - and nice to see plenty of diversity and ground game still in Canadian football. Cory Grant's debut as Ravens HC and they showed pretty well with a win. Crowd listed at 1000 on the U Sports website, but looked more like 2 grand plus to me - on a beautiful day.

Western roll over Guelph in the season opener = having trouble seeing any team (OUA or National play-offs) stopping the Mustangs big run game/offence - 2 big, explosive RBs and an all-star laden O-line; plus a young QB who led them to the Vanier last season and should improve. And all-Canadian safety Daniel Valente (RedBlacks draft pick) is back for a final season to lead their D and had 3 picks (!) this game.

jerrym
09-02-2022, 12:10 AM
Here are the opening rankings for USports:

https://usports.ca/uploads/cis/Top_10/2022-23/Aug_30/TOP_10_FB_WK1.png
https://usports.ca/en/sports/football/m/news/2022/08/3461254652/u-sports-rankings-western-mustangs-open-season-atop-football-rankings-after-decisive-victory

OV Argo
09-04-2022, 09:55 PM
U of T get an announced crowd of just over 4K for their win over Carleton.

Will
09-28-2022, 08:01 AM
The Gee Gees are 4-1 and ranked 7th in the country. I don't know how sustainable this is, and it won't matter as they cannot compete with Queen's or Western.

OV Argo
09-28-2022, 04:52 PM
Upcoming Panda Game is SRO; 23 K range = likely the biggest U Sports crowd of the season (and maybe beats pretty well all CFL East games this season?). I get that it's mostly a cause for wild student partying, but attendance is up it seems in a number of U Sports venues.

Mocha
09-29-2022, 07:17 AM
Upcoming Panda Game is SRO; 23 K range = likely the biggest U Sports crowd of the season (and maybe beats pretty well all CFL East games this season?). I get that it's mostly a cause for wild student partying, but attendance is up it seems in a number of U Sports venues.

It's great to see. And both schools are ranked in the top 10. Ottawa's looking very strong, but let's see if Carleton can give them a game.

OV Argo
10-13-2022, 08:18 PM
Westen's powerhouse ground game rolling as good as ever, and seems unlikely to be stopped - love to see a big ground game in Canadian football still !. Argos might take a look at drafting big RB Keon Edwards next draft - Toronto guy i believe.

Mocha
10-16-2022, 10:11 PM
Ottawa better be on top of their game next week if they want to contain Western at all.

OV Argo
10-17-2022, 02:03 AM
Ottawa better be on top of their game next week if they want to contain Western at all.

Somebody has to come up with something to stop the Western ground game; stack the box with 3 DTs or play 2 big inside MLBs - and make them beat you with their pass (and their young QB is quite capable there too); can't see any standard defence stopping them; unless maybe Laval who look very strong on D this year.

Mocha
10-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Yeah, Laval trounced Montreal yesterday. That surprised me. I thought the game was about a toss-up, but to win like that is impressive.

And Saskatchewan squeaked out a win against Regina.

If anyone can stop Western, it'll likely be Laval or Saskatchewan.

OV Argo
10-17-2022, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Laval trounced Montreal yesterday. That surprised me. I thought the game was about a toss-up, but to win like that is impressive.

And Saskatchewan squeaked out a win against Regina.

If anyone can stop Western, it'll likely be Laval or Saskatchewan.

But the Huskies couldn't in last year's Vanier; and now they are without some star D players (2 D-linemen with the BC Lions now), and minus star RB Machart.

Again - somebody has to try some innovations on D to take away that Western ground game - not sure there's a DC out there to figure that out - maybe Laval has some horses on D to slow the Mustangs ponies ? ;o)

Mocha
10-18-2022, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't be betting against Western. Laval impressed against Montreal. We'll likely see Laval vs Western in the Mitchell Bowl next month.

OV Argo
11-03-2022, 11:47 PM
Play-off Saturday = a bunch of interesting match-ups.

Added TVA Sports (Quebec TV) - to get to see both Q semis. They are also carrying both National semis. But no Yates Cup coverage I have heard of ? CBC showing the Vanier only? Sad state of affairs for fans of Canadian football. Glad that La Belle Province still has respect for Canadian ball.

Mocha
11-04-2022, 10:12 AM
Luckily, the OUA streams all their football games for free. But yeah it'd be much better to have at least some of the games available OTA on CBC.

Who are you picking in Queen's vs Ottawa? It probably won't matter much as either team should lose to Western, but I'm going with the slight underdogs from Ottawa.

OV Argo
11-04-2022, 11:29 AM
Luckily, the OUA streams all their football games for free. But yeah it'd be much better to have at least some of the games available OTA on CBC.

Who are you picking in Queen's vs Ottawa? It probably won't matter much as either team should lose to Western, but I'm going with the slight underdogs from Ottawa.

Pulling for the GGs, but not sure I'd bet on them. Either likely to get steam-rolled by Western who i think (sadly really) are about unbeatable by anybody in the country (though a real smart coaching staff should be able to game-plan a good scheme against them IMO - that is a challenge that is not impossible in the game of football - so maybe vet HC Constantin if Laval meet them?)

Pathetic state of affairs with lack of TV coverage for Canadian U ball; maybe mirrors the problems the CFL faces with lack of respect in it's own country. Not sure this is going to improve ?

AngeloV
11-04-2022, 11:53 PM
I will have my annual "Please someone beat Western" hopes during the OUA playoffs.

OV Argo
11-05-2022, 12:44 AM
I will have my annual "Please someone beat Western" hopes during the OUA playoffs.

Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing somebody upset them; not likely in the OUA; Laval winning the Q and beating them in the semi might be the only hope.

Still - love see a powerful applied ground game work and crush in Canadian football: big powerful O-line and 2 outstanding RBs to throw at the D; up to the DC to come up with something to stop it.

AngeloV
11-05-2022, 01:20 AM
Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing somebody upset them; not likely in the OUA; Laval winning the Q and beating them in the semi might be the only hope.

Still - love see a powerful applied ground game work and crush in Canadian football: big powerful O-line and 2 outstanding RBs to throw at the D; up to the DC to come up with something to stop it.

Western just recruits the best players in Ontario period. There is not much a DC can do when his D is overmatched in talent as badly as Western overmatches all other teams in the OUA.

OV Argo
11-05-2022, 08:56 AM
Western just recruits the best players in Ontario period. There is not much a DC can do when his D is overmatched in talent as badly as Western overmatches all other teams in the OUA.

Maybe; but I think I'll disagree, or else Western would just win each & every year, which they don't; just like Laval has a huge recruiting advantage in Quebec, looked like they were going to dominate every year, but Montreal brought them back down to earth.,

Also disagree, big-time. about nothing a DC can do; you try something to take away an opponents main strength, and for Western, that's pounding the run game over & over, especially up the middle; so, stack the box with your biggest, best run stopping D-linemen (yes, take out one or both pass rush DEs), and back them with your biggest and best run-stop LBs - maybe some 3-4 look and run blitz every play ... and stuff the up the middle run and force their offence to do some different things ... which Western's offence is likely quite capable of, and they have a very good young passing QB as well. But letting an offence just do what they want without trying something smart to stop them = you deserve to get slaughtered.

Mocha
11-05-2022, 12:42 PM
It's not USports, but I'm watching the AFL championship before the OUA games start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gm5XIyprM

I (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gm5XIyprM)t'd be great to get some of those AFL teams back under the USports umbrella.

Mocha
11-05-2022, 12:55 PM
The Red Bombers QB, Hunter Sturgeon, seems pretty good. Google tells me he played for Mount Allison earlier this season.

argolio
11-05-2022, 01:05 PM
It'd be great to get some of those AFL teams back under the USports umbrella.That would have to come from individual schools. USports as an organization has no interest in growing the game.

Mocha
11-06-2022, 10:49 AM
That would have to come from individual schools. USports as an organization has no interest in growing the game.

Yup, and it's tough to get the funding for a sport that A. requires so many players, and B. is only (so far) offered to male students. I'm hoping women's football continues to grow in Canada and we'll see more schools adopting both male and female programmes.

UNB in particular has a history with USports:

Football[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=UNB_Reds&action=edit&section=13)]The UNB Red Bombers football team (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football) first began play in 1948 in exhibition play before playing in the first intercollegiate Canadian football game played in New Brunswick in 1949.[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNB_Reds#cite_note-8) The program was in continuous operation until it was dropped after the 1980 season, with the school making the announcement in June 1981.[9] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNB_Reds#cite_note-9) In their history, the Red Bombers won two Jewett Trophy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewett_Trophy) conference championships in 1969 and 1970, but lost in the following Atlantic Bowls (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Bowl) to the McGill Redmen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_Redmen) and Ottawa Gee-Gees (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Gee-Gees) respectively.

OV Argo
11-07-2022, 08:05 PM
Conference title games up next to determine the final 4 (and could possibly the same as last year's; but i think Laval may have something to say about that and maybe UBC too ?).

I think the OUA re-match of Western / Queens will go like last year basically - Western wearing them down to pull away; unless Queens can give them a dose of their own medicine with a strong ground game.

Laval vs. Carabins - battle of 2 very impressive young QBs and much more pass oriented offences. Both teams have some stud D players as well.

UBC has a puncher's chance i guess of taking out the Huskies - IF they pound their run game and their D comes up real big (D that features 2 CFL draft picks in safety Herzog and Argo pick, LB Kwamou)

StFX seems likely to cruise over Mt A, but one big game chance for the Mounties who seem to have a pretty strong defence.

AngeloV
11-12-2022, 04:39 PM
As expected, Western put the nails to Queens today on a snowy day in London. 44-16 the final.
Well, here's hoping Western doesn't dominate again next year. Really getting tired of it.

OV Argo
11-12-2022, 05:52 PM
As expected, Western put the nails to Queens today on a snowy day in London. 44-16 the final.
Well, here's hoping Western doesn't dominate again next year. Really getting tired of it.

Got to watch that game streaming on CBC Sports.

Queens kept if close early, but Western's ground game just keeps grinding away (and RB Keon Edwards is a 230 pound explosive load with great vision = he should be a 1st round CFL draft pick IMO, but will likely be a 6th rounder and GOB converted to fullback - lol); Western's young QB Hillock has a real strong arm to add to their offence and they scored 3 long pass play TDs as well.

Laval might be able to give them a game next week; a CFL type offence against Western's ground heavy attack; I really doubt they will be able to stop Western's offence though; and if the Huskies beat up on the StFX as expected (not so sure this year though), I seriously doubt the Huskies - minus a big pile of stars from their team that went to the Vanier last year - will be able to stay anywhere near close to Western like last Vanier.

AngeloV
11-19-2022, 04:16 PM
St FX put up a good fight today but in the end Saskatchewan was the better team. First half in the books for the Mitchell Bowl with Western up 17-4.Frankly a very poorly played half of football. Huge mistakes by both teams. I expect better from Laval and Western.

OV Argo
11-19-2022, 06:19 PM
Laval's D comes up big to limit Edwards and the Mustangs ground game; big MLB Poirier was a monster. Western only in the game in the 1st half due to 3 horrible shot-gun snaps by the Laval C leading to turn-over and points.

Western's wimpy D (minus 8 starters from last year's Vanier winner) got run out of the park in the 2nd half by Laval's big O-line and real good back in Maganda.

Hillock was way off his game passing for Western.

Great example of the old football adage about defence winning games.

Should be an interesting Vanier with 2 balanced offences and good passing QBs. Laval's D could dictate and win this game.

Mocha
11-19-2022, 09:40 PM
That was a very impressive performance from Laval's D. Did they mention at all why Wanadi wasn't getting any carries? I was only able to watch on and off.

OV Argo
11-20-2022, 09:44 AM
That was a very impressive performance from Laval's D. Did they mention at all why Wanadi wasn't getting any carries? I was only able to watch on and off.

Wanadi has not played the past 2 games - commentator said due to "personal reasons"; he was a nice change-up to go with Edwards, but they still have another young back they like (their fastest supposedly), but he only got a carry or two; Edwards was stuffed quite a bit in the 1st half, but he still broke a number of 5 to 10 yard runs and had over 100 yards in the 1st half; but Marshall got talked out of the ground game and instead deferred to mostly passing - and young QB Hillock was way off the mark for a lot of throws, plus their receiving corps is nothing special or dangerous except for M-Jones (who caught one deep TD and almost had another) - big mistake by Marshall (maybe he is recalling CFL offensive "thinking" = give up on the ground game) - took away their most dangerous , big-play offensive weapon in Edwards who routinely breaks 10+, 20+ or 50+ yard gainers as a game wears on. Meanhwile, Laval went with more run in 2nd half and their young back Maganda was outstanding.

Laval deserved this win all they way - their D was tough and their O moved the ball at will most of the time on Western's wimpy D effort. If not for 3 really bad shot-gun snaps by Laval's C in the first half, they might have won this game by 15 or more points.

AngeloV
11-20-2022, 10:58 AM

I have a different opinion. Pretty easy to play D when the opposing O can’t pass.

Mocha
11-20-2022, 11:04 AM
I have a different opinion. Pretty easy to play D when the opposing O can’t pass.

Heh, yeah it was pretty sloppy passing from Hillock yesterday.

Mocha
11-20-2022, 11:09 AM
Wanadi has not played the past 2 games - commentator said due to "personal reasons"; he was a nice change-up to go with Edwards, but they still have another young back they like (their fastest supposedly), but he only got a carry or two; Edwards was stuffed quite a bit in the 1st half, but he still broke a number of 5 to 10 yard runs and had over 100 yards in the 1st half; but Marshall got talked out of the ground game and instead deferred to mostly passing - and young QB Hillock was way off the mark for a lot of throws, plus their receiving corps is nothing special or dangerous except for M-Jones (who caught one deep TD and almost had another) - big mistake by Marshall (maybe he is recalling CFL offensive "thinking" = give up on the ground game) - took away their most dangerous , big-play offensive weapon in Edwards who routinely breaks 10+, 20+ or 50+ yard gainers as a game wears on. Meanhwile, Laval went with more run in 2nd half and their young back Maganda was outstanding.

Laval deserved this win all they way - their D was tough and their O moved the ball at will most of the time on Western's wimpy D effort. If not for 3 really bad shot-gun snaps by Laval's C in the first half, they might have won this game by 15 or more points.

That's too bad about Wanadi. I was also hoping to see some touches from Daniel Kubongo, who was the rookie of the year in the CJFL last year. Maybe he'll see more targets next season.

OV Argo
11-20-2022, 12:18 PM
Heh, yeah it was pretty sloppy passing from Hillock yesterday.

Wasn't his day but he was still over 50% passing with one TD and zero INTs; he threw a 30 some yarder to M-Jones for a TD and missed him open in the end zone later when the wind seemed to make the ball flutter; Western does not have a real quality receiving corps to spread the ball around to, and Marshall got out-coached - into abandoning his best offensive threat. Constantin has won 2 of the past 3 Vaniers against Western; out-coaching him maybe, but this IMO was more on Western's over-matched D talent that they were not able to re-tool after departures (like Argo Dionte Knight) from last year's Vanier team.

Foxhound
11-20-2022, 12:45 PM
It's not USports, but I'm watching the AFL championship before the OUA games start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gm5XIyprM

I (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gm5XIyprM)t'd be great to get some of those AFL teams back under the USports umbrella.

Huh?! What's this? Is this a game between the New Brunswick Red Bombers and the Dalhousie Tigers? I didn't know those two universities still had football teams. Why then are they not part of the Atlantic University Sport conference?

:confused:

Foxhound
11-20-2022, 12:49 PM
USports as an organization has no interest in growing the game.

Well then the bastiches should be caned. I'm willing to do it myself given the chance.

:mad:

Foxhound
11-20-2022, 01:08 PM
Laval's D comes up big to limit Edwards and the Mustangs ground game; big MLB Poirier was a monster.

Great example of the old football adage about defence winning games.

I'm still filled with loathing, disgust and anger today with the Mustangs losing to Laval again.

I'm wondering though. The announcer on CJBK Radio London said that the Mustang players were running directly to the heater at their sideline after they got off the field. Wtf? Heater? In balmy London in November? Is Coach Marshall somehow unaware that the greatest football coach of all time, Bud Grant, didn't allow heaters on the sidelines for his team because he wanted to keep his players' minds fully focused on the game? When you saw the Winnipeg Blue Bombers or the Minnesota Vikings standing on the sidelines in their long cloaks like icy giants while their opponents huddled miserably around their heater, you knew which team would tough it out and win in the crunch. (In fact it was the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and their long time rivals, the Edmonton Eskimos, who introduced the tradition of bare arms for the linemen in frigid temperatures. "What you call this cold? You must be some sissy boy from Texas or Florida. Here in Canada we're rugged enough to play when the temperature dips below zero."

Well yesterday it certainly wasn't the Mustangs who were able to tough it out till the end. And that's on Coach Marshall.

:mad:

Incidentally, did anyone notice whether Laval had a heater on its sideline?

:hmmmm:

AngeloV
11-26-2022, 04:50 PM
Good exciting Vanier Cup game today. Players on both teams played well.
To me the turning point was the dumb move by Saskatchewan to pass on 2nd and 5 into the wind from their own 35 yard line with about 20 seconds left in the first half. They were not going to put points on the board in that scenario and by throwing an incomplete pass and punting into the wind they allowed Laval to get a long FG last play of the half to tie the game. Dumbass coaching move.

OV Argo
11-26-2022, 04:56 PM
Good exciting Vanier Cup game today. Players on both teams played well.
To me the turning point was the dumb move by Saskatchewan to pass on 2nd and 5 into the wind from their own 35 yard line with about 20 seconds left in the first half. They were not going to put points on the board in that scenario and by throwing an incomplete pass and punting into the wind they allowed Laval to get a long FG last play of the half to tie the game. Dumbass coaching move.

Yeah; that plus the dropped pass by the Huskie receiver in the end zone that turned into a pick; tough catch, but should have had it for a TD.

Lots of passing yards by 2 very good passing QBs in this game. Too bad/sad that Nyhus is unlikely to get a CFL look.

Mocha
12-03-2022, 08:28 AM
UBC won the Shrum Bowl last night. It's great that Amar Doman took the lead in bringing this game back.

https://3downnation.com/2022/12/03/ubc-thunderbirds-hold-off-simon-fraser-to-claim-u-sports-supremacy-in-return-of-the-shrum-bowl/

Foxhound
02-04-2023, 11:37 PM
UBC won the Shrum Bowl last night.

Yay! Simon Fraser University I despise.

:)

AngeloV
03-03-2023, 02:09 PM
Some pretty lousy 40 times among DB’s at the combine today. Fastest was 4.6 and a 4.63. None other below 4.7 and some even in the 4.9 range and even above 5.0. I guess we won’t be seeing too many drafted this year from that lot.

OV Argo
03-03-2023, 04:54 PM
Some pretty lousy 40 times among DB’s at the combine today. Fastest was 4.6 and a 4.63. None other below 4.7 and some even in the 4.9 range and even above 5.0. I guess we won’t be seeing too many drafted this year from that lot.

This is the Regional Combine you're talking, so not the higher rated prospects, and they're looking for a few good testers to invite to the Main Combine later in the month. No real fast 40 times; Laval's DB Maxym Lavalle (Q all-star last season and former Q defensive rookie of the year) had a pretty good set of testing #s (including one of the 4.6 range 40s), and i've seen him play a few times and he's a nose for the ball good defender.

The son of the Jimmy the Jet who was supposed to be this speed demon invite only put up a 4.6 range forty - and these are electronic 40 times now where it's often .1 second or more slower than the old hand-held times = don't expect too many 4.4s; the top 40 was by a York receiver who is not even a starter, judging by his stats. Bit too much over enamored with 40 times are some football "scouts" anyways; Kenny Lawler and his 300K CFL receiver contract ran a 4.6 something 40 back at his Pro Day coming out of college ball; maybe smart scouts pay more attention to on field actual football play & production.

Shatto
03-03-2023, 11:19 PM
Ahmed is a player to keep an eye on. His 4.60 may not be a blazing time but it is still pretty good and don't be surprised if he improves that time in Edmonton. He has excellent size and length at 6'2" and 193 lbs. He didn't get a lot of notice playing for U of T but he played well against some very good receivers. The real test will be the 1 on 1s in National combine.

Mocha
03-04-2023, 09:02 AM
Last year the Philpot brothers ran 4.59 and 4.65 40s, and they both put in promising rookie campaigns after being drafted, so who knows how some of these guys will look once they suit up on the field (if any of them from this round to, that is).

AngeloV
03-04-2023, 04:06 PM
Last year the Philpot brothers ran 4.59 and 4.65 40s, and they both put in promising rookie campaigns after being drafted, so who knows how some of these guys will look once they suit up on the field (if any of them from this round to, that is).

Those are good times though. Especially in a league that allows for a waggle, all of the sudden that becomes 4.3. DB's running anything above 4.7 will get killed by pro receivers. I get that it is a regional combine, but I have always said it's tough to gage offensive skilled players in Usport in regards to how it translates to the pros, because for the most part, they are much better athletes than the DB's covering them.

OV Argo
03-04-2023, 06:17 PM
Those are good times though. Especially in a league that allows for a waggle, all of the sudden that becomes 4.3. DB's running anything above 4.7 will get killed by pro receivers. I get that it is a regional combine, but I have always said it's tough to gage offensive skilled players in Usport in regards to how it translates to the pros, because for the most part, they are much better athletes than the DB's covering them.

Royce Metchie ran a 4.73 forty at CFL Combine.

And some of the fastest DB times at those tests have been ignored or past over at CFL draft time.

Shatto
03-04-2023, 11:14 PM
Many of the Canadian U Sport football players are less experienced than their American counterparts. Ahmed for example, did not start playing football until second year university. But the talent is there though often needing a couple of years to develop.

Mocha
03-05-2023, 05:57 PM

Good point about the waggle. It definitely makes it easier for WRs (than DBs) with less-than-stellar 40 times to make an impact on the field. Hopefully we'll see better numbers from the DBs at the National combine in a few weeks.

AngeloV
03-05-2023, 09:41 PM
Many of the Canadian U Sport football players are less experienced than their American counterparts. Ahmed for example, did not start playing football until second year university. But the talent is there though often needing a couple of years to develop.

I agree.

AngeloV
03-05-2023, 09:42 PM
Royce Metchie ran a 4.73 forty at CFL Combine.

And some of the fastest DB times at those tests have been ignored or past over at CFL draft time.

And that’s why he plays safety and not corner or half.

OV Argo
03-05-2023, 10:15 PM

Those type of examples are very few & far between. They do get mentioned often though when the examples crop up - as if Canada was some football backwater where guys were playing hockey all their lives but switched to football well into high school. Whatever; but IMO a large disservice to the many fine minor, high school or Junior ball programs up here that produces plenty of football talent, and from a young age.

CFL "scouts" may like their project prospects with not much on their football resumes, but there are precious few examples of the kind of players with just raw athletic testing #s as the main thing on their resume that pan out to be solid to star CFL players. The huge majority of impact CFL Canadian players are guys who were proven multi year starters in the lower levels of football and who were all-stars or top stats players as well. The CFL "scouts" who missed out on drafting players like Kurleigh Gittens, Kian Schaffer-Baker and Nathan Rourke, when they had the chance in early rounds, should maybe give their heads a shake and start looking more at accomplished football players in areas of need for their teams. Extra depth, big Canadian O-linemen. back-up fullbacks, long-snappers & special teamers can be found in the later rounds or as free agents.

OV Argo
03-05-2023, 10:23 PM
And that’s why he plays safety and not corner or half.

Canadians rarely get to play corner, and especially D-half, in the CFL anymore.

And like I said, plenty of fast (4.5 range and under) Canadian DBs have been ignored in the CFL draft or else get converted to safety by GOB thinking; M-A Dequoy is probably one of the fastest players in the CFL but the Als have him at safety (he's learning but does not look like a real safety to me) as opposed to D-half where he was an all-star in U Sports ball. Woodson - Argos, and Howell with the RedBlacks a bit, are about the only 2 examples I can think of for Canadians getting some time at D-half in the CFL in years, and they both played quite well there IMO. Same old attitudes rule in CFL thinking though.

Mocha
03-07-2023, 02:59 PM
I wonder if Tolu Ahmed has any shot at being drafted.

Tolu Ahmed, DB, Toronto
With a long, lean build, I’ve always liked the way Ahmed looks in pads but seeing his frame — and its natural potential as a rangy CFL free safety — in-person really intrigued me ahead of testing Friday morning.
In a group of relatively undersized, thick defensive backs, Ahmed stood tall and stood out with a natural 40-yard dash that has me wondering how he’ll match up against the CFL Draft best in Edmonton in a few weeks.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/03/07/ferguson-five-invitational-combine-invitees-to-watch/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

OV Argo
03-07-2023, 04:25 PM
Ferguson doesn't mention there that there is already a number of big DB safety type prospects invited to the National Combine (one of them - Taylor (Alberta) was supposed to have put up an outstanding set of testing #s at last spring's East-West game; and 3 time AUS all-star safety Cormier is a big DB) but Ahmed could jump to the head of that class with those athletic testing #s from the regional.

Like to see the Argos draft one of those safety prospects (and likely can get one mid to later rounds) - even though they already have Metchie with Hagerty behind him. Like the potential of a big (hitting/tackling power), tall/ rangy (help in coverage, make picks) safety as Ferguson is saying - Taylor Loffler (Bombers) was coming on as one of those types a few seasons back, but his CFL career got cut short with injury issues.

Shatto
03-07-2023, 11:19 PM
There are few potentially good looking DBs available in the upcoming draft. 3 or 4 of them appear to have the size and mobility to play safety. I agree with OV that the Argos should look at drafting one of those players.

Taylor 6'1" 210 lbs , Ringland 6' 1" 195 lbs, Ahmed 6' 2" 193 lbs and Bagayogo 6' 1" 195 lbs are good prospects. Bagayogo who like Ahmed didn't being playing football until he was 18, is unlikely to still be available when the Argos get to use their 16th choice. It is possible that the other 3 may be available but it could well depend on how they perform in the upcoming combine.

While on the topic of the draft, can anyone explain why Elliot Beamer OL (Western) has not been included in either the Invitational Combine list or the Natioanal Combine list. He has played at a relative low weight (270) but during the last season he got this up to 290. He has been a first-team All-Canadian and has been a main stay on the really strong Western OL. Strange.

OV Argo
03-08-2023, 08:54 AM
There are few potentially good looking DBs available in the upcoming draft. 3 or 4 of them appear to have the size and mobility to play safety. I agree with OV that the Argos should look at drafting one of those players.

Taylor 6'1" 210 lbs , Ringland 6' 1" 195 lbs, Ahmed 6' 2" 193 lbs and Bagayogo 6' 1" 195 lbs are good prospects. Bagayogo who like Ahmed didn't being playing football until he was 18, is unlikely to still be available when the Argos get to use their 16th choice. It is possible that the other 3 may be available but it could well depend on how they perform in the upcoming combine.

While on the topic of the draft, can anyone explain why Elliot Beamer OL (Western) has not been included in either the Invitational Combine list or the Natioanal Combine list. He has played at a relative low weight (270) but during the last season he got this up to 290. He has been a first-team All-Canadian and has been a main stay on the really strong Western OL. Strange.

I'll guess Beamer was allowed to defer to next year's draft - like the 2 top rated UBC O-linemen did.

And to add to the safety prospect list - I mentioned AUS 3 time all-star safety Cormier (listed at 6-2, 210) and 2nd team all-Canadian safety Jaxon Ford (Rams) listed at 6-1 , 210, so big safety size, and more importantly IMO, experienced safeties. Bagayogo is rated an outstanding cover guy, so might be the rare Canadian who actually gets a shot to play corner in the CFL. Bound to be one of those safety types around by mid or even later rounds; but a slow 40 time might get them written-off (though the Metchie 4.73 forty should easily explain it's not all about a fast 40 time to be a good CFL safety).

Shatto
03-09-2023, 06:31 PM
Hodge's mock draft has the Argos getting Barnes at # 16. We should be so lucky.

OV Argo
03-22-2023, 10:06 PM
Combine height & weight measurements are in. Testing #s start tomorrow.

OV Argo
03-26-2023, 08:43 PM
Combine done with. A number of interesting prospects for the Argos to look at - even though they have to wait till #16 overall.

Safety? - a bunch of very interesting safety prospects - several big guys with very solid sets of testing #s; the Argos have Metchie with Hagerty in the wings (couple of years experience now but the jury would be out still if he could start and do well at safety?); really like Lucas Cormier (Mount A - and AUS all-star safety the past 3 seasons) - drew some nice reviews at the Combine and a natural, experienced safety. Him or one of the others (Jaxon Ford, Jake Taylor, Charile Ringland) should still be available at #16 ?

Receiver? - Clark Barnes (Guelph) drawing some nice reviews and backed by solid testing #s; I think he will go earlier than #16; but IMO Jeremy Murphy (Concordia - former Q rookie of the year) might be the better receiver talent - similar solid testing #s but more production in U Sports ball and supposedly has great hands (saw him play against the Laval Vanier team in the Q play-offs last year and he did damage against their strong D).

Shatto
03-26-2023, 11:47 PM
Combine done with. A number of interesting prospects for the Argos to look at - even though they have to wait till #16 overall.

Safety? - a bunch of very interesting safety prospects - several big guys with very solid sets of testing #s; the Argos have Metchie with Hagerty in the wings (couple of years experience now but the jury would be out still if he could start and do well at safety?); really like Lucas Cormier (Mount A - and AUS all-star safety the past 3 seasons) - drew some nice reviews at the Combine and a natural, experienced safety. Him or one of the others (Jaxon Ford, Jake Taylor, Charile Ringland) should still be available at #16 ?

Receiver? - Clark Barnes (Guelph) drawing some nice reviews and backed by solid testing #s; I think he will go earlier than #16; but IMO Jeremy Murphy (Concordia - former Q rookie of the year) might be the better receiver talent - similar solid testing #s but more production in U Sports ball and supposedly has great hands (saw him play against the Laval Vanier team in the Q play-offs last year and he did damage against their strong D).

As OV points out, there appear to be a number of potentially talented DBs available in the draft. One of Bagayogo, Taylor, Cormier or Ringland should be available at #16. Sutherland who had a "strong showing" at his pro day and is suggested as the possible 1st overall pick, is smaller than the aforementioned DBs and did not test that much better. In fact Taylor who is 3 inches taller and 14lbs heavier had better test results in the 40, vertical ,broad jump and not far behind in the 3 shuttle. And, if Sutherland's pro day 40 was hand timed the difference in the 40 is even greater. One has to wonder if this is a case of underestimating U Sport athletes.

At WR, Murphy could be a sleeper. He tested faster than I expected. He has baseball gloves for hands and seldom losses a fight for a contested ball. He has good size and whoever drafts him could well have an excellent receiver after a year or so maturing in the league.

OV Argo
03-27-2023, 12:25 AM
As OV points out, there appear to be a number of potentially talented DBs available in the draft. One of Bagayogo, Taylor, Cormier or Ringland should be available at #16. Sutherland who had a "strong showing" at his pro day and is suggested as the possible 1st overall pick, is smaller than the aforementioned DBs and did not test that much better. In fact Taylor who is 3 inches taller and 14lbs heavier had better test results in the 40, vertical ,broad jump and not far behind in the 3 shuttle. And, if Sutherland's pro day 40 was hand timed the difference in the 40 is even greater. One has to wonder if this is a case of underestimating U Sport athletes.

At WR, Murphy could be a sleeper. He tested faster than I expected. He has baseball gloves for hands and seldom losses a fight for a contested ball. He has good size and whoever drafts him could well have an excellent receiver after a year or so maturing in the league.

Sutherland did post some very good testing #s at his pro day (i believe they would use electronic timing for the 40 but not sure?) As for Ottawa taking him 1st overall, even though he is an Ottawa guy, they already have a bunch of Canadian talent for either safety or OLB, so not sure he is a fit there, but CFL drafting / thinking for Canadian talent often features over-kill at specific positions. And he was not even a full-time starter on the Penn State D (which IMO a top draft pick should be) but CFL thinkers may have a big Div I resume trumping proven all-star talent at the same position from U Sports ball ? The RedBlacks have a pile of draft picks coming up so maybe they take him for the local connection plus because of his "athleticism", but 1st overall would be a mistake IMO - see where he fits in and maybe an instant impact guy on STs ?

Bagayogo had very good testing #s, is a big corner and 2 time all_Canadian with supposed excellent cover skills - might be the rare Canadian who gets a real shot to play corner for the CFL team that drafts him ?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8