PDA

View Full Version : Argos sign Ryan Hunter

Will
09-23-2022, 09:50 AM
https://www.argonauts.ca/2022/09/23/boatmen-sign-former-first-round-pick-ol-ryan-hunter

It goes without staying that Argos needed OL help, and this will hopefully provide it.

ArgoGabe22
09-23-2022, 10:38 AM
Just start him, it can't be any worse than what the line showed.

AngeloV
09-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Let’s hope he can be ready in a couple of weeks and play tackle in this league. I am excited to see how he does.

paulwoods13
09-23-2022, 11:17 AM
This is a huge addition. He is an instant upgrade over Richards, and could potentially allow us to move Blake back to his customary position at LG. He must be in shape, with any luck he will be ready to play by the B.C. game, if not next week.

Shipyard
09-23-2022, 05:04 PM
Let’s hope he can be ready in a couple of weeks and play tackle in this league. I am excited to see how he does.

We will see if he can jump in. BC had Brett Boyko (#1 ranked pre draft) a few years ago after 4 years in nfl. Turned out he wasn’t good enough to start, wasn’t good enough to backup, after a few games wasn’t good enough to dress.

primetime31
09-23-2022, 05:34 PM
This is a huge addition. He is an instant upgrade over Richards, and could potentially allow us to move Blake back to his customary position at LG. He must be in shape, with any luck he will be ready to play by the B.C. game, if not next week.

Was very pleased and surprised with this signing. Hopefully, he can slot into either tackle position and allow Blake to go back to guard and maybe even centre, which IMHO is the weakest link on the O-line currently.

Argo57
09-23-2022, 06:11 PM
Finally!!
Hopefully he can step in and upgrade the Argos O-Line!

paulwoods13
09-23-2022, 07:35 PM
Was very pleased and surprised with this signing. Hopefully, he can slot into either tackle position and allow Blake to go back to guard and maybe even centre, which IMHO is the weakest link on the O-line currently.

Lawrence has gotten better as the season has gone on, IMO, and don't forget the centre makes the blocking calls. I would be surprised if Blake goes back to centre, assuming Lawrence stays healthy.

AngeloV
09-23-2022, 08:53 PM
Lawrence has gotten better as the season has gone on, IMO, and don't forget the centre makes the blocking calls. I would be surprised if Blake goes back to centre, assuming Lawrence stays healthy.

Lawrence’s snaps have improved, but he still gets no push in short yardage. I think he’s a classic back-up that can play either guard or centre, but not a starter, Ideally if Nicastro is absolutely done for the year, I would prefer Blake at centre assuming you can replace him at tackle. I know it would mean a lot of moving parts.

jerrym
09-24-2022, 07:13 PM
Finally. Great news.

ArgoRavi
09-25-2022, 01:51 AM
The offensive line, even without Hunter, played superbly against Ottawa on Saturday night.

Will
09-25-2022, 08:38 AM
The offensive line, even without Hunter, played superbly against Ottawa on Saturday night.

They did

paulwoods13
09-25-2022, 09:30 AM

Two or three breakdowns early, but after that they were very good. Still, Hunter is almost certainly going to be in the lineup, at least as a backup if not starting, soon.

AngeloV
09-25-2022, 09:42 AM
Two or three breakdowns early, but after that they were very good. Still, Hunter is almost certainly going to be in the lineup, at least as a backup if not starting, soon.

It’s so hard to judge how a player is going to do based on non contact practices. I hope the give him a couple of series next week to see how he looks and slowly start playing him more.

OV Argo
09-25-2022, 11:35 AM
We will see if he can jump in. BC had Brett Boyko (#1 ranked pre draft) a few years ago after 4 years in nfl. Turned out he wasn’t good enough to start, wasn’t good enough to backup, after a few games wasn’t good enough to dress.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This; hoping Hunter can dress soon and maybe even get a shot to start soon (did play some OT in college ball, but mostly OG in the NFL I believe); but expectations might be too high, and for a guy who hasn't played in a Canadian ball offence for a long-time. Still - a very promising addition, and we shall see.

paulwoods13
09-25-2022, 02:02 PM
I wish he were an inch or two taller. At six-three, 300-plus, he is more guard than tackle size. (At least, I prefer taller, leaner tackles.) It will be interesting to see how he gets worked into things. Might just become the primary backup, ahead of both Richards and Churchill. IMO if they keep the current starting five, Hunter should supplant Richards on the game roster as soon as he is familiar enough with the offence to be able to play if needed.

ArgoRavi
09-26-2022, 12:45 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This; hoping Hunter can dress soon and maybe even get a shot to start soon (did play some OT in college ball, but mostly OG in the NFL I believe); but expectations might be too high, and for a guy who hasn't played in a Canadian ball offence for a long-time. Still - a very promising addition, and we shall see.

Good points, OV. Is Pier-Olivier Lestage even starting at this point in Montreal?

paulwoods13
09-26-2022, 07:49 AM
Good points, OV. Is Pier-Olivier Lestage even starting at this point in Montreal?

I'm pretty sure he started in their last game.

OV Argo
09-26-2022, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure he started in their last game.

He was listed as the starter at OG (bumping vet Phil Gagnon to back-up) on their depth chart - so he would be playing the position he's accomplished at , but I didn't pay enough attention to their O-line to notice.

primetime31
09-26-2022, 05:38 PM
I wish he were an inch or two taller. At six-three, 300-plus, he is more guard than tackle size. (At least, I prefer taller, leaner tackles.) It will be interesting to see how he gets worked into things. Might just become the primary backup, ahead of both Richards and Churchill. IMO if they keep the current starting five, Hunter should supplant Richards on the game roster as soon as he is familiar enough with the offence to be able to play if needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter was tried out a both guard and tackle to see where he fits best. I wouldn't also be surprised to see Hunter cut a bit of weight to adapt to the Canadian game.

OV Argo
09-26-2022, 10:09 PM
Wondering on the status of Argo draft pick Sage Doxtater - massive OT; did i read he got an injury settlement release from the Saints TC ? - might be another interesting Argo O-Line get.

Vet Blake might have not much mileage left - will he be back next year? Anywho - an OLine of Nicastro at C flanked by Hunter & Bladek, with Churchill & Mackellar in the mix (either could be tried at OT) plus maybe Doxtater as well; and/or find a good young import OT = lots to choose from. And on top of that, next year's draft class looks to be very strong & deep at O-Line - could decide to use a top pick there (but maybe not if all those other possibilities are available; a couple of outstanding RBs and safety prospects up next draft as well)

O-Line = very important.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8