PDA

View Full Version : Playoff scenarios for Argos

ArgoRavi
10-09-2022, 01:03 AM
Unless Ottawa sweeps Montreal this week - which seems unlikely - the Edmonton game next week will pretty much be a meaningless one in the standings for the Argos. The key game appears to be in Montreal in two weeks. If the Argos win that one, they clinch first place. Having said all of this, I still hope that the Argos defeat the Elks to build momentum and ensure themselves of a winning regular season record for the second consecutive season. The Argos haven't had consecutive winning seasons since 2004 to 2007 and haven't hosted consecutive East Finals since 1996-97.

Rich
10-09-2022, 02:40 AM
I still hope that the Argos defeat the Elks to build momentum and ensure themselves of a winning regular season record for the second consecutive season.

At 9-6 I think we ought to be setting our sights higher than just a winning season. We haven’t won at least 12 games since 1997, and I believe every other team has done it at least once in that span. 12-6 is a major statement, and IMO there is no good reason why we can’t win the next three games.

paulwoods13
10-09-2022, 08:12 AM
More important than our win-loss record is getting the East Final at home, so that we have to play only one game to get to the Grey Cup. There are many potential scenarios, but at this point our path to first place is a bit easier than Montreal's. Two wins in our last three games gives us first place even if Montreal sweeps Ottawa, because Montreal would have lost at least one of two against us. Under that scenario, we would finish 11-7 and Montreal would be 10-8.

While I think there is a good chance of Ottawa upsetting Montreal tomorrow, let's assume Montreal wins both games against the Redblacks. We then need the Argos to defeat Edmonton so that they need to win only one game against Montreal to clinch first. It would be ideal if the last game of the season was meaningless so we could rest key players and give more playing time to PR guys and backups, altho that didn't work out too well last year. It would be far from ideal (from a nerve-wracking standpoint, at least) if it all came down to the final game of the regular season to see which team gets a bye and which team has to face the Ticats in the semi.

AngeloV
10-09-2022, 09:34 AM
Unless Ottawa sweeps Montreal this week - which seems unlikely - the Edmonton game next week will pretty much be a meaningless one in the standings for the Argos. The key game appears to be in Montreal in two weeks. If the Argos win that one, they clinch first place. Having said all of this, I still hope that the Argos defeat the Elks to build momentum and ensure themselves of a winning regular season record for the second consecutive season. The Argos haven't had consecutive winning seasons since 2004 to 2007 and haven't hosted consecutive East Finals since 1996-97.

If Ottawa runs the table they will finish 3rd in the east (maybe 2nd) and barring a Riders sweep of Calgary will make the playoffs. Go RedBlacks.

Will
10-09-2022, 09:50 AM
Ottawa did beat Montreal at Percival Molson a month or so ago, and it is their first game with their new interim coach. Hopefully they take some inspiration from that and pull off the upset. Sweeping the series is going to be a tall order though.

ArgoRavi
10-09-2022, 02:22 PM
More important than our win-loss record is getting the East Final at home, so that we have to play only one game to get to the Grey Cup. There are many potential scenarios, but at this point our path to first place is a bit easier than Montreal's. Two wins in our last three games gives us first place even if Montreal sweeps Ottawa, because Montreal would have lost at least one of two against us. Under that scenario, we would finish 11-7 and Montreal would be 10-8.

While I think there is a good chance of Ottawa upsetting Montreal tomorrow, let's assume Montreal wins both games against the Redblacks. We then need the Argos to defeat Edmonton so that they need to win only one game against Montreal to clinch first. It would be ideal if the last game of the season was meaningless so we could rest key players and give more playing time to PR guys and backups, altho that didn't work out too well last year. It would be far from ideal (from a nerve-wracking standpoint, at least) if it all came down to the final game of the regular season to see which team gets a bye and which team has to face the Ticats in the semi.

If Montreal sweeps Ottawa and the Argos lose in Edmonton (heaven forbid), Toronto would still only need to win in Montreal the following week to clinch first place. I still think the Edmonton game is important for momentum purposes and, theoretically, could still make a difference if there is a tie somewhere along the way.

I agree, Paul, that I don't want to see first place come down to the very last game but if it happens, it happens. I also note that you believe Hamilton will place third which I would tend to agree with.

Will
10-10-2022, 04:00 PM
The scenario is now simple.

An Alouettes LOSS against Ottawa on Friday coupled with an Argonauts WIN or TIE against Edmonton on Saturday will clinch first place for Toronto.

Stevoman
10-10-2022, 04:09 PM
Good work Ottawa!

OV Argo
10-10-2022, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't bet on it or anything, but the Dyce led RedBlacks could win out to take the 3rd spot in the East; Als looked lousy on offence against a fairly solid Ottawa defence (so much for the return of the mighty Stanback which was supposed to guarantee them a GC), and Arbuckle without dullard LaPo completed a lot of passes, plus they mixed in some ground game. The Ticats are certainly beatable back-to-back by Ottawa too IMO.

Argo57
10-10-2022, 04:23 PM
Great job RedBlacks!

Argo57
10-10-2022, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't bet on it or anything, but the Dyce led RedBlacks could win out to take the 3rd spot in the East; Als looked lousy on offence against a fairly solid Ottawa defence (so much for the return of the mighty Stanback which was supposed to guarantee them a GC), and Arbuckle without dullard LaPo completed a lot of passes, plus they mixed in some ground game. The Ticats are certainly beatable back-to-back by Ottawa too IMO.

That scenario wouldn’t bother me at all, hate the crossover.

paulwoods13
10-10-2022, 07:43 PM
One way or another, I want an East Division team to finish third, and I think that will happen. But more importantly, let's get first place wrapped up ASAP, either with help from Ottawa next weekend, or on our own later. Ott did us a huge favour today, and I think they really do have a shot at running the table although it's a long, long shot.

RB957
10-10-2022, 09:39 PM
The scenario is now simple.

An Alouettes LOSS against Ottawa on Friday coupled with an Argonauts WIN or TIE against Edmonton on Saturday will clinch first place for Toronto.

Going into Edmonton scares me a bit. The Elks have been eliminated from the playoffs and have not won a home game since 2019. They have absolutely nothing to lose, but their pride now, and they have to finally win at some point and I would hate for it to be at the expense of the Argos.

AngeloV
10-10-2022, 10:38 PM

I have been saying the same thing on twitter all week. The players love Dyce and there certainly is talent there.

ArgoRavi
10-11-2022, 01:47 AM
Going into Edmonton scares me a bit. The Elks have been eliminated from the playoffs and have not won a home game since 2019. They have absolutely nothing to lose, but their pride now, and they have to finally win at some point and I would hate for it to be at the expense of the Argos.

I have some trepidation over this game in Edmonton too which is why I wanted the Elks to beat Montreal last week at home, which they should have. Anyway, the Argos just need to be focused and not take the Elks lightly and they should be okay.

OV Argo
10-11-2022, 12:07 PM
I have some trepidation over this game in Edmonton too which is why I wanted the Elks to beat Montreal last week at home, which they should have. Anyway, the Argos just need to be focused and not take the Elks lightly and they should be okay.

The Argos still control their own destiny, even if the Elks rise up with a good game to beat them.

Win back to back against the Als to close the season, and 1st place, plus a statement made. No excuses acceptable.

OV Argo
10-11-2022, 12:14 PM
I have been saying the same thing on twitter all week. The players love Dyce and there certainly is talent there.

The RedBlacks have a very solid D IMO (a couple of weak spots but that is typical of pretty well all CFL teams); their special teams are good to at their best outstanding (punter, kicking, Dedmon & coverage); it's their offence that is IMO very weak to iffy in overall talent - especially at receiver & running back, and Arbuckle showed what he is capable of against the Argos in 2 straight game = an over-rated, average at best QB who is not going to do much other than manage a game with a safe & solid game plan (like this win vs. the Als); so unless new OC Will Arndt (laughingly weak/inexperienced resume to be named to a pro post like that = only in the GOB CFL) is some sort of offensive genius, they are not going far with that talent they have on offence IMO.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8