PDA

View Full Version : CFL Award Nominees

Will
11-01-2022, 01:08 PM
So they did end up giving the East MOP to Lewis, but Gittens is up for Most Outstanding Canadian (against Rourke) and Coach Dinwiddie is up for Coach of the Year (against O'Shea).

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/01/collaros-lewis-headline-cfl-awards-nominees/

paulwoods13
11-01-2022, 01:09 PM
Finalists announced. IMO McManis got screwed by voters solely because he got hurt. As good as Mauldin was, McManis was far more impactful overall this season. Otherwise no major surprises although I thought Small would be east finalist for both rookie and special teams. Galling to see two guys we gave up for nothing going head to head in the ST category.

I think the West will sweep this except for Worthy beating Alford.

AWARD WEST DIVISION NOMINEE EAST DIVISION NOMINEE
Player Zach Collaros (WPG) Eugene Lewis (MTL)
Defensive Player Shawn Lemon (CGY) Lorenzo Mauldin IV (OTT)
Canadian Nathan Rourke (BC) Kurleigh Gittens Jr. (TOR)
Offensive Lineman Stanley Bryant (WPG) Brandon Revenberg (HAM)
Rookie Dalton Schoen (WPG) Tyson Philpot (MTL)
Special Teams Player Mario Alford (SSK) Chandler Worthy (MTL)
Coach of the Year Mike O’Shea (WPG) Ryan Dinwiddie (TOR)

ArgoGabe22
11-01-2022, 01:20 PM
Dinwiddie’s entry should be challenged by the command centre. All jokes aside, he definitely does deserve the East (back to back 1st place finishes in regular season), however his challenges should take him out of the running.

Will
11-01-2022, 01:28 PM
Mario Alford and Chandler Worthy are the two nominees for the special teams award.
Not the greatest look there for the Argos!

AngeloV
11-01-2022, 02:57 PM
Finalists announced. IMO McManis got screwed by voters solely because he got hurt. As good as Mauldin was, McManis was far more impactful overall this season. Otherwise no major surprises although I thought Small would be east finalist for both rookie and special teams. Galling to see two guys we gave up for nothing going head to head in the ST category.

I think the West will sweep this except for Worthy beating Alford.

AWARD WEST DIVISION NOMINEE EAST DIVISION NOMINEE
Player Zach Collaros (WPG) Eugene Lewis (MTL)
Defensive Player Shawn Lemon (CGY) Lorenzo Mauldin IV (OTT)
Canadian Nathan Rourke (BC) Kurleigh Gittens Jr. (TOR)
Offensive Lineman Stanley Bryant (WPG) Brandon Revenberg (HAM)
Rookie Dalton Schoen (WPG) Tyson Philpot (MTL)
Special Teams Player Mario Alford (SSK) Chandler Worthy (MTL)
Coach of the Year Mike O’Shea (WPG) Ryan Dinwiddie (TOR)

I think Revenberg should win O-lineman over Bryant, but there is a definite bias by the voters for tackles over guards.

Scooter McCray
11-01-2022, 03:38 PM
Mauldin should beat out Lemon. His numbers are all better. Sacks, tackles. And he did that on a much weaker team.

ArgoGabe22
11-01-2022, 03:58 PM
Mauldin should beat out Lemon. His numbers are all better. Sacks, tackles. And he did that on a much weaker team.

To be fair A bad team sometimes means a bad offence and that means more defensive reps.

gilthethrill
11-01-2022, 04:21 PM

I never get tired to see Ex Ti-Cats find success around the CFL. Still should have been McManus, hands down.

Will
11-01-2022, 05:01 PM
I sometimes forget that several of the awards are 'most outstanding' instead of 'most valuable.' Why the CFL chooses to make the distinction is unknown to me.

AngeloV
11-01-2022, 05:19 PM
I sometimes forget that several of the awards are 'most outstanding' instead of 'most valuable.' Why the CFL chooses to make the distinction is unknown to me.

I think it's a better way of doing it. Most valuable is such an objective description in a team sport where you have a roster of 40+.

Will
11-01-2022, 05:54 PM
Jim Corrigall remains the only Argonauts player to win the Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award. Mike O'Shea is the only Argonauts player to win the Most Outstanding Canadian Award.

Scooter McCray
11-01-2022, 06:26 PM
Jim Corrigall remains the only Argonauts player to win the Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award. Mike O'Shea is the only Argonauts player to win the Most Outstanding Canadian Award.That's incredible given their success as a team with the most Grey Cup wins. How many outstanding players have their been from Toronto?

Scooter McCray
11-01-2022, 06:30 PM
To be fair A bad team sometimes means a bad offence and that means more defensive reps.That's true. I still think he should get it because he played injured alot, and Lemons fellow linemates were better. This freed him up to focus on QB hunting. And Mauldin still had better numbers having to do more work by himself.

Will
11-01-2022, 06:34 PM
That's incredible given their success as a team with the most Grey Cup wins. How many outstanding players have their been from Toronto?

1968 = Bill Symons
1982 = Condredge Holloway
1990 = "Pinball" Clemons
1996 = Doug Flutie
1997 = Doug Flutie
2005 = Damon Allen
2012 = Ricky Ray

OV Argo
11-01-2022, 07:56 PM
That's true. I still think he should get it because he played injured alot, and Lemons fellow linemates were better. This freed him up to focus on QB hunting. And Mauldin still had better numbers having to do more work by himself.

Disagree; Ottawa's D-Line around Maudlin was as good or better than Calgary's around Lemon; the Ottawa D likely saw more playing time though.

argolio
11-01-2022, 09:27 PM
Didn't realize Lemon had 14 sacks and 5 forced fumbles. No wonder he was the Stamps nominee. But Mauldin had the better year.

OV Argo
11-01-2022, 10:13 PM
Didn't realize Lemon had 14 sacks and 5 forced fumbles. No wonder he was the Stamps nominee. But Mauldin had the better year.

And Cameron Judge had 78 tackles (8th in the league), plus 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 5 fumble recoveries (that's 7 take-aways), 2 forced fumbles and scored 2 defensive TDs.

OV Argo
11-01-2022, 10:39 PM
In 87, Willie Pless had 93 tackles, 7 sacks, 5 INTs, 3 fumble recoveries (that's 8 D take-aways !!!). He was the Argo D nominee for the East; but the Bombers James West got the nod with way less tackles (75), no INTs but tied Willie in sacks. Travesty IMO; but maybe an example of an older vet player getting the nod based on name recognition and reward for past service. Same deal for Lemon this year IMO.

paulwoods13
11-02-2022, 07:54 AM
Darryl Ford didn't even come out of the East in 1991, when IMO he had a significantly better season than the winner, Greg Battle.

Scooter McCray
11-02-2022, 08:44 AM
1968 = Bill Symons
1990 = "Pinball" Clemons
1996 = Doug Flutie
1997 = Doug Flutie
2005 = Damon Allen
2012 = Ricky Ray
I think Chad Owen's won in 2012. Ricky Ray never won the award unfortunately. But he has won 4 Grey Cups as a starter, something no other QB can say and has the most game winning drives of any QB in league history.

Scooter McCray
11-02-2022, 08:50 AM
1968 = Bill Symons
1990 = "Pinball" Clemons
1996 = Doug Flutie
1997 = Doug Flutie
2005 = Damon Allen
2012 = Ricky Ray
6 MOPs in the last 40 years is pretty good. They have 7 championships in the same span and 9 appearances total in the Grey Cup over the last 40 years.
Thanks for posting.

Will
11-02-2022, 09:30 AM
I think Chad Owen's won in 2012. Ricky Ray never won the award unfortunately. But he has won 4 Grey Cups as a starter, something no other QB can say and has the most game winning drives of any QB in league history.

Yes it was Chad Owens!

Ricky Ray was the East MOP in 2013, 2014 and 2017 but fell short each time.

ArgoGabe22
11-02-2022, 11:31 AM
Yes it was Chad Owens!

There was the one season he should've been the league MOP, had an insane TD-INT ratio but then got injured.

ArgoGabe22
11-02-2022, 11:34 AM
And Cameron Judge had 78 tackles (8th in the league), plus 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 5 fumble recoveries (that's 7 take-aways), 2 forced fumbles and scored 2 defensive TDs.

From an insider: "Good for Shawn Lemon having such a great season this late in his career but he’s not even the best defensive player on that team. (Folarin) Orimolade should’ve won that award (Most Outstanding Defensive Player in the West Division). I’d also have put (Jameer) Thurman and (Cameron) Judge ahead of Lemon on that defence. Their front seven is the best in the league."

"Issues"Mcgee
11-02-2022, 11:35 AM
Yes it was Chad Owens!

Ray has as many Grey Cups as the Saskatchewan Roughriders franchise.

AngeloV
11-02-2022, 01:54 PM
Ray has as many Grey Cups as the Saskatchewan Roughriders franchise.

And University of Toronto has more than said franchise.

argolio
11-02-2022, 02:25 PM
From an insider: "Good for Shawn Lemon having such a great season this late in his career but he’s not even the best defensive player on that team. (Folarin) Orimolade should’ve won that award (Most Outstanding Defensive Player in the West Division). I’d also have put (Jameer) Thurman and (Cameron) Judge ahead of Lemon on that defence. Their front seven is the best in the league."It's usually about the best numbers and sometimes best story. Lemon had both. Five forced fumbles by a d-lineman is a great year, plus there's the human interest angle of a 34 year-old guy who most thought had his best days behind him.

As for Calgary's defensive players, among the Americans I'd take Mike Rose, Orimolade and Thurman before Lemon, and for Canadians Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund (potential double-digit sack guy) and Derek Wiggan before Judge. Wiggan is one of those guys who never puts up big numbers but does a lot of the dirty work allowing his teammates to shine.

ArgoRavi
11-02-2022, 05:06 PM
Darryl Ford didn't even come out of the East in 1991, when IMO he had a significantly better season than the winner, Greg Battle.

I am still bitter that Terry Greer didn't win MOP in 1983 or that Rocket Ismail didn't win top rookie in 1991.

AngeloV
11-02-2022, 05:12 PM
I am still bitter that Terry Greer didn't win MOP in 1983 or that Rocket Ismail didn't win top rookie in 1991.

They both won the more important prize in each of those years. I am good with that.

paulwoods13
11-02-2022, 09:35 PM
Greer had the misfortune of being up against the greatest season any QB ever had to that point in time, and it was also an opportunity to give a farewell present to that guy.

primetime31
11-02-2022, 10:15 PM
As much as I wanted Greer to win the 1983 MOP award, Moon was incredible that season on a not-so-great Edmonton team. He carried them.

Let's see if Kurleigh has a shot at best Canadian. I have a feeling that Rourke will still get it over him. And yes, in retrospect, cutting Chandler Worthy was a ridiculous move. I would have liked to see him play some wideout for this year's Argos team but alas, to no fruition.

Will
11-03-2022, 07:54 AM
I did a passing log of the 1983 season during the pandemic non-season and some of the games Moon put up were ridiculous.

paulwoods13
11-03-2022, 10:58 AM
And yes, in retrospect, cutting Chandler Worthy was a ridiculous move. I would have liked to see him play some wideout for this year's Argos team but alas, to no fruition.

It's not just in retrospect. It was blatantly obvious at the time how ridiculous it was. When he was released, the Argos thought all of these guys were still worth taking a look at in camp: Sam Baker, Jamari Hester, Darece Roberson, AJ Richardson, Isiaih Wright, Earnest Edwards and Damion Jeanpiere (as well as the guys who actually did play receiver for the team this season).

And then there's the fact that after being cut last season, he stayed in town and worked out privately with MBT in hopes of getting another shot, which he eventually did get. You can't take that type of character for granted.

AngeloV
11-03-2022, 03:39 PM
I did a passing log of the 1983 season during the pandemic non-season and some of the games Moon put up were ridiculous.

Yes, for sure, but QB’s have bettered that season since. Has another receiver put up 3 consecutive 200 yard games? Greer shattered records at his position , was the first receiver in pro football with 2,000 yards and truthfully should have won. I think the gave it to Moon because they felt he was robbed in ‘82. Holloway was great, but I think the story of rags to riches from the previous year weighed heavily with the voters.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8