PDA

View Full Version : Fav league is CFL, NFL or both?

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Maybe a bit of a weird question to ask on CFL team forum, but I curious to know of all you CFL fans like the CFL first, NFL, or just love football in general.

I have always been a CFL fan first, the NFL, their alter egos and run football has always put me to sleep or kept me disinterested, while the CFL is a blue collar league where the players play more for the love of the game than for money and fame, most CFL games keep me on the edge of my seat, where most NFL games are a snooze fest for me.

This is just my opinion and don't want to offend anyone, but would love to hear what everyone has to say.

ArgoGabe22
06-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Cfl-cis-ncaa

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Kool ArgoGabe22, I'm not a huge fan of College football, but rather watch that then the NFL.

LLB997
06-29-2012, 04:05 PM
CFL only. not interested in 4 hour commercials

Hollaway
06-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Yup, another good reason why I hate NFL on TV.

1argoholic
06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
CFL is the first love of my life. I always joke with my wife but she understands as the Stamps were her first love.
NCAA, CIS and NFL.

Love my Wolverines and Vikings. NFL is tough to get into every year because it just seems so slow. After a while I watch because it's football but I can't watch every team. Plenty I have no interest in like Miami.

CIS is just fun ball and last years Vanier could have been the best football game to watch all year.

Best time of year starts very soon in CFL football.

matchuk
06-29-2012, 10:27 PM
cfl....i will watch an nfl game on the odd time when i have absolutely nothing to do, but i dont really follow

Hollaway
06-30-2012, 06:49 PM
CFL has always been #1 with me, but at one point I use to follow the Cleveland Browns as well, that was before Art Modell shipped them out to Baltimore, since then I just haven't cared.

Argocister
06-30-2012, 09:26 PM
CIS and CFL ....NFL when the season is done..... and of course with the radio NFL content so high, some during the season through osmosis. (flow of info from most concentrated to least concentrated )

Scottish_Argo
07-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Id say NFL hands down its what brought me to "football" in the first place then i discovered others like NCAA and CFL .

What i like about CFL is its unique the big endzones and how there will always be big plays in a game and its not one big play there are constant massive plays it really is a joy to watch.

Irving Thomas
07-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Sorry if I am off topic.. I want to ask a question.. the CIS and Canadian High School football are played with the 12 men (etc etc) rules (Canadian) or there are colleges and/or High schools playing within the US rules of football? Thanks for your answers!

Will
07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Sorry if I am off topic.. I want to ask a question.. the CIS and Canadian High School football are played with the 12 men (etc etc) rules (Canadian) or there are colleges and/or High schools playing within the US rules of football? Thanks for your answers!

Simon Fraser University plays American rules as they are in NCAA Division II.

ArgoGabe22
07-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Mostly yes. Simon Fraser isn't part of CIS so they use 4 downs but also high schools in BC use 4 downs. Not sure if other provinces have 4 down high school football, I know Ontario has 3 downs.

Will
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Mostly yes. Simon Fraser isn't part of CIS so they use 4 downs but also high schools in BC use 4 downs. Not sure if other provinces have 4 down high school football, I know Ontario has 3 downs.

I remember in university that a friend of one of my roommate had played high school football or something like that in London and that they were thinking of moving to 4-down football. I don't know if the switch was ever actually made, but I hope that it doesn't start to be come a trend.

Irving Thomas
07-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Thank You all for you kind answer.. I was told something like British Columbia was the only province to play 4down high school and know a little about Simon Fraser. I also know of UBC playing one exibithion game versus Menlo (California) college, and I guess they use 4 down rules.

If the London (Ontario) High School should ever consider to move to 4-down, shouldn't they joyn a USA High School conference? Anyone knows of any Ontario High School playing USA High Schools in exibithion games?
I am asking because I was told of the Team Canada Victory in the U19 IFAF World Championship (4-down rules) versus USA in Austin (Texas)... and wondered if those players were breeded playimg 4 or 3-down..

Thanks Again!

ArgoGabe22
07-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Yes high school teams do play exhibitions vs American schools and I'm guessing they play 4 downs. Its always the Canadian team travelling to the US, never the other way around.

I know a few who played in this game - http://www.mississauga.com/Mississauga/Article/1076545

argofandave
07-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I played 3 years of high school football from 1974-76 in Oakville and I remember after my first or second year we went from 3 downs to 4 downs since all the teams seemed to have had so much trouble getting a first down. All other rules were Canadian.

anthonyrussell
07-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I got into NFL before CFL and I love watching the Redskins so I'd say both equally though there are aspects of the CFL that I prefer to the NFL. The short ad breaks are one of those things.

ArgoZ
07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I like the CFL and NFL pretty equal. Last seasons, I would give the NFL the edge. The NFL is no longer the boring game that many associate with the typical stereotypes. I agree with the statement that if someone doesn't like the CFL, then they don't really like football and I would even say the opposite is true also. I find CIS extremely boring and NCAA only barable. The Toronto Argonauts ,however, are my fav sport team and I would watch an Argos pre-season game over the Superbowl anyday, LOL.

R.J
07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
CFL all the way, CIS as well, not an NFL fan, but do enjoy NCAA football
Favourite teams Division I - Ohio State Buckeyes
Division II - New Haven Chargers
Haven't seen much of Division III, so can't really say I'm a fan.

Gill The Thrill
07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
I like the CFL and NFL pretty equal. Last seasons, I would give the NFL the edge. The NFL is no longer the boring game that many associate with the typical stereotypes. I agree with the statement that if someone doesn't like the CFL, then they don't really like football and I would even say the opposite is true also. I find CIS extremely boring and NCAA only barable. The Toronto Argonauts ,however, are my fav sport team and I would watch an Argos pre-season game over the Superbowl anyday, LOL.

I liked the CFL more since I was 11 or 12 because I always thought it was more authentic, but used to love watching the NFL playoffs during the Christmans Holidays when I was even younger. My first football game that I remember watching on TV was the 1977 Grey Cup, the Ice Bowl or the Staple game in Montreal when I was 7. Since that was the last CFL game for the year, I remember watching the NFL playoffs late that same year. Took me a little while to realize the 3 down and 4 down thing. I just thought the NFL allowed 3 downs and a punt and never viewed the punt as a down.

It all depends on the excitement of any game...NCAA can be very overated, sure there some great games, but there usually one-sided with one big club like Ohio State creaming a minnow that can't attract the best players from all over 63-3.

Will
07-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I liked the CFL more since I was 11 or 12 because I always thought it was more authentic, but used to love watching the NFL playoffs during the Christmans Holidays when I was even younger. My first football game that I remember watching on TV was the 1977 Grey Cup, the Ice Bowl or the Staple game in Montreal when I was 7. Since that was the last CFL game for the year, I remember watching the NFL playoffs late that same year. Took me a little while to realize the 3 down and 4 down thing. I just thought the NFL allowed 3 downs and a punt and never viewed the punt as a down.

It all depends on the excitement of any game...NCAA can be very overated, sure there some great games, but there usually one-sided with one big club like Ohio State creaming a minnow that can't attract the best players from all over 63-3.

You get those 63-3 games early in the season most of the time when Ohio State is playing Middle Oklahoma Valley Tech A&M State University on purpose.

argos1873
07-12-2012, 08:38 PM
When I played high school football in Scarborough in the late 80s it was 4 downs, but Canadian rules otherwise. We used to frequently practice, and even sometimes employ during games, an onside man during punts, and even the long forgotten quick kick on non-final down plays. It worked more often than you would think. It was learning about rules like that, which turned me into a primarily Canadian football fan. I still like the NFL though. They are some really amazing athletes. Too bad they play a boring, highly contrived game.

I sometimes wonder what the Canadian game would look like presently, if we didn't decide to so closely imitate the American game. I wonder if we would have ever had the woes we've experienced, given that if the game were much more different than the American game than it is now, there wouldn't be this notion that the CFL is just a lower tier of the NFL. It would instead stand strongly alone as a truly Canadian game, run by mostly Canadians and fielded by mostly Canadians.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8