PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Classic CFL Games on YouTube

ArgoRavi
12-10-2022, 08:47 PM
There is an ever-growing number of classic CFL games on YouTube. I have watched a few since the 2022 season ended and just thought I would post some thoughts on those and solicit the favourite classic games of others.

Recently, I watched the 1983 regular season finale between the Riders and Stamps in Calgary. I remember watching this as a young teen and re-watching this left me in even more shock than when I first watched it. The Stamps could have ended Edmonton's dynasty that day (which ended a week later in Winnipeg). All the 8-7 Stamps had to do was beat the 4-11 Riders but, somehow, they managed to fritter this one away. Bernard Quarles and Homer Jordan were the two QBs that day and one would have thought that both would be long-term stars in this league. Quarles, in particular, played an incredible game on this day with over 400 yards in passing but, amazingly, it was not enough.

Sticking with the 1983 season, I watched another game I remember watching from late July of 1983 - the B.C. Lions in Hamilton against the Ticats. The three things I always remembered from that game were Lui Passaglia missing the first convert of his career, Sammy Greene's 115 yard game-winning TD return on a kickoff, and a dude in the stands who had one of those multi-coloured afro wigs on while wearing a "Jesus Saves" t-shirt. I had watched some of the Canadian Open golf earlier that day - we didn't have cable in my town at that point and just watched whatever crap was on TV - and noticed that guy there and he obviously travelled to Hamilton from Oakville for the football game. Anyway, besides those three things that I had remembered, there was a hell of a lot of other stuff that happened in that game. It may have been one of the oddest CFL games ever played. Tom Clements, by the way, was terrible in this one for the Ticats and would be traded later that season in a blockbuster for Dieter Brock.

One other game I watched last weekend was a 1977 Winnipeg/Toronto game but I would not recommend watching that one. The offences were 1970s bad and that was with Ralph (as he was called then) Brock and Chuck Ealey at QB for the respective teams. Ealey would be replaced by former Dallas Cowboys legend Clint Longley who showed why he would not be in the CFL beyond that 1977 season. There were 9 turnovers by the Argos and 2 by the Blue Bombers and the Bombers also recovered a couple more of their own fumbles. This game reminded me a bit of another messy game on YouTube - a 1978 game between Montreal and Toronto at old Exhibition Stadium that would be Leo Cahill's last one as Argos head coach.

Speaking of Leo, I just loved him with Ron Lancaster and either Don Wittman or John Wells in the CBC booth back in the 1980s. Re-watching the two 1983 games reminded me of why I was so entertained by those two. The B.C./Hamilton game was actually played on Leo's birthday, which he shared with Ticats owner Harold Ballard. Don Wittman and Steve Armitage, who were covering the Canadian Open that weekend, even dropped by the booth for a quick visit to wish Leo a happy birthday and promote their event.

What are your favourite classic CFL games on YouTube?

Will
12-11-2022, 10:41 AM
I have been trying to make my way through a complete viewing of the 1983 Western Final between the Blue Bombers and the Lions. It was the first indoor playoff game in CFL history, and it would more importantly set the opponent for the Toronto Argonauts in the Grey Cup. That game must be somewhat frustrating for older Bomber fans to remember. The Blue Bombers were up 21-11 before Tom Clements got injured and his backup John Hufnagel started throwing interceptions. Mervyn Fernandez, more or less, took the game over in the second half with three touchdown catches. The Lions won 39-21 before losing to the Argos in the Grey Cup.

ArgoRavi
12-11-2022, 01:29 PM
I have been trying to make my way through a complete viewing of the 1983 Western Final between the Blue Bombers and the Lions. It was the first indoor playoff game in CFL history, and it would more importantly set the opponent for the Toronto Argonauts in the Grey Cup. That game must be somewhat frustrating for older Bomber fans to remember. The Blue Bombers were up 21-11 before Tom Clements got injured and his backup John Hufnagel started throwing interceptions. Mervyn Fernandez, more or less, took the game over in the second half with three touchdown catches. The Lions won 39-21 before losing to the Argos in the Grey Cup.

I re-watched that one a couple of years ago. Fernandez was absolutely dominant in the fourth quarter of that game. I also recall Krazy George saying at the time that he had never heard a louder stadium than BC Place that day.

I must say that I have a real affinity for the 1983 CFL season for obvious reasons so it is great to see so many of the games on YouTube, including the post-season all-star game.

Will
12-11-2022, 02:39 PM
I re-watched that one a couple of years ago. Fernandez was absolutely dominant in the fourth quarter of that game. I also recall Krazy George saying at the time that he had never heard a louder stadium than BC Place that day.

I must say that I have a real affinity for the 1983 CFL season for obvious reasons so it is great to see so many of the games on YouTube, including the post-season all-star game.

I know I keep bringing it up, but we all know the 1983 game we hope is still out there somewhere sitting in the CBC archives.

jerrym
12-11-2022, 04:14 PM
I know I keep bringing it up, but we all know the 1983 game we hope is still out there somewhere sitting in the CBC archives.

That game ended the longest Grey Cup drought in CFL history. I had already seen far too much of that drought and expected the Argos to blow it again. So when a cheap air ticket came up that allowed me from Vancouver to visit Boston, Atlanta and five Caribbean Islands for less than $500 with Eastern Airlines (it had been advertised three years before but the airline had forgotten to cancel the offer so when I remembered it and asked my travel agent he found out it had never been cancelled and booked me on the flights). My second last stop was Barbados where I stayed in a Bed and Breakfast regretting the fact I would miss the Grey Cup on TV for the first time in more than 20 years when another guest from Canada asks am I going to the game. It turns out there was a Canadian bar in Barbados who had satellite TV and just about every Canadian in Barbados was there. We took the bus and arrived just in time to see the start of the game.The Argos scored with 2:44 to win. What a way to end the drought!

ArgoRavi
12-12-2022, 01:51 AM
That game ended the longest Grey Cup drought in CFL history. I had already seen far too much of that drought and expected the Argos to blow it again. So when a cheap air ticket came up that allowed me from Vancouver to visit Boston, Atlanta and five Caribbean Islands for less than $500 with Eastern Airlines (it had been advertised three years before but the airline had forgotten to cancel the offer so when I remembered it and asked my travel agent he found out it had never been cancelled and booked me on the flights). My second last stop was Barbados where I stayed in a Bed and Breakfast regretting the fact I would miss the Grey Cup on TV for the first time in more than 20 years when another guest from Canada asks am I going to the game. It turns out there was a Canadian bar in Barbados who had satellite TV and just about every Canadian in Barbados was there. We took the bus and arrived just in time to see the start of the game.The Argos scored with 2:44 to win. What a way to end the drought!

What a memorable Grey Cup indeed!

Will was speaking of another key game on the way to that Grey Cup win though and that was the 50-16 Argos win in Hamilton in September. That game was televised by CBC and is, undoubtedly, in the CBC archives but it would be wonderful to actually see it again one day.

Will
12-12-2022, 08:28 AM
I inquired with the archives about that game, and the only response I got back was that they cannot sell to anyone who wasn't a player or relative. Their response did not confirm or deny (sorry JFJ) that the game still exists in their archives.

paulwoods13
12-12-2022, 08:31 AM
That game ended the longest Grey Cup drought in CFL history.

You are of course referring to the Argos ending their 31-year drought, in 1983. Much as I like having the Argos hold records, I would suggest that the Saskatchewan Roughriders hold the record for longest drought. The team, then known as the Regina Roughriders, failed to win a Grey Cup between 1921 (when the West first started competing for it) and 1966.

OV Argo
12-12-2022, 10:21 AM
Watching hi-lites (thanks Paul) of that 83 East play-off win over the Ticats and seeing Exhibition Stadium packed to the rafters and the fans going crazy is really something to see ... and in comparison to the sad situation nowdays...

Love watching older (60s thru 80s) CFL games on YouT; very different football played back then, and IMO better - more diverse, more entertaining and more Canadian players getting to play in the big pro league in their own country !

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 01:11 PM
The team, then known as the Regina Roughriders, failed to win a Grey Cup between 1921 (when the West first started competing for it) and 1966.Speaking of 1966 and my favourite childhood team.

Here's one of my favourite bits in my collection (with notes from Wikipedia). The 1966 Grey Cup in colour on videotape.

This is the convergence of two relatively new technologies in Canada. Small scale colour TV was available from the US since the mid 50s for border reception (In 1966, less than one percent of Canadian households had a color television set). Colour videotape recorders came along in 1958 in the US.

Color television in Canada was launched on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's (CBC) English language TV service on September 1, 1966. Private television broadcaster CTV also started color broadcasts in early September 1966. Large scale colour transmission in the US itself only began in 1965, so in Canada we weren't too far behind.

So this video is about as early as you can get for colour videotape in Canada. It has a distinctive look as opposed to film, I'm able to pick it out but not sure on how to describe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YQrGhGDxU

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 01:14 PM
As an aside, the 1966 Grey Cup video also has another new piece of technology on display...the goalposts

1967 Canadian newspaper article on Trimble and Rottman (https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2277&dat=19670318&id=CmwmAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-VQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1734,836099&hl=en)

Joel Rottman’s claim to fame (https://www.thegamebeforethemoney.com/goalposts/)

Ever broken the middle prongs out of a plastic fork? Joel Rottman did one day over lunch, and visualized a concept for goal post improvement.

Added inspiration came while Rottman drove along the highway and noticed curved street lamps. He designed the now famous “sling-shot” look with a curved base. Rottman, a Florida resident, sold the University of Miami on the idea. The goal posts debuted at the Orange Bowl in September, 1966.

Jim Trimble, a former Eagles coach who moved to the Canadian Football League, bought into the idea as a partner. He connected Rottman with NFL Commisioner Pete Rozelle. Rottman later told the story to the Sun Sentinel: “”There was a fellow in the lobby with these orange pylons, but Rozelle wanted to see the goal-post guy first,” Rottman laughed. “He said, ‘Oh, God, we’ve had a committee working on this thing for three years and want to put it back from the goal line to the end line. You show me a picture with 20-foot uprights instead of 10 and I’ll give you a list of all the owner’s names.’ ”

The goal posts made their NFL debut in 1967, with all teams bought in. Super Bowl 2 (played at the Orange Bowl in Miami) was the first Super Bowl to sport the new posts. Rottman sold his idea to the Rose Bowl for the 1971 Grandaddy of them All, but with one stipulation.

The Rose Bowl didn’t want to spend $1,775 on goal posts only to see them tore down at the end of the game. Rottman guaranteed his goal posts would endure. When jubilant fans spilled onto the field after Jim Plunkett led Stanford to a 27-17 victory over Ohio State, they were in for a big surprise.

Rottman coated the goal posts with STP motor oil. Not even the brilliant Stanford kids could figure out ways to topple the slippery goal posts.

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 01:36 PM
Start at 38:02

38:58 Merlin Olsen: "Dick (Enberg) I gotta tell ya, I've never seen a more beautiful stadium or more beautiful playing surface, anywhere."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctOKr0r96E

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 01:43 PM
You won't see this anymore. Going from my childhood memories, these are some of the better field conditions that I saw in Ottawa. I don't think I've seen this one out in the collections, it features the era of the Montreal NFL "stars" I get a big kick out of the commercials, they are so embedded in your memory you know them 40 years on.

Lex Luger was on the Als that year, I haven't gone through the broadcast to see if he was there. He only played two games that year. JC Watts would also go on to later fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdkl7zgWKJA

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 02:03 PM
I know I keep bringing it up, but we all know the 1983 game we hope is still out there somewhere sitting in the CBC archives.Unlike most media outlets, AFAIK CBC wasn't into wiping videotapes as a cost cutting measure. Why you don't see much of their historic stuff on air (as opposed to YouTube) is because of rights issues and paying unions ie actors, musicians etc

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 02:09 PM
Pre expansion Commonwealth Stadium (still with turf) First artificial turf install unbelievably still 31 years away (May 2010)

http://i.imgur.com/6PX6MVt.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTTR4FJg9I

I love the old commercials, anyone remember the girl who became famous for the "You Got It Pontiac" (46:34) commercials. Apparently some people still use it as a catchprase. TPB?

Everybody stole Georgio Moroder's instrumental "Chase" from the movie Midnight Express back then (126:08)

ArgoRavi
12-12-2022, 02:17 PM
A lot of those old commercials do stick in one's brain forever.

While watching the BC/Hamilton game from 1983 the other night, I started wondering why beer companies no longer advertise during CFL games. Beer and football have historically seemed like a good fit but we don't see beer commercials anymore during CFL games and haven't for quite some time. Another big advertiser back in the 1970s and 1980s was Canadian Pacific.

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 02:22 PM
Another big advertiser back in the 1970s and 1980s was Canadian Pacific.That's what I thought of, also remember the intros always said Canadian Professional Football.

That video with a full pre expansion Commonwealth (42.5k) and turf (at the time) sure makes one nostalgic. Makes me think of what will happen in BC. I haven't seen anything yet on the turf install and what their plans are for the World Cup in 2026 and going forward.

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 02:39 PM
The three things I always remembered from that game were... and a dude in the stands who had one of those multi-coloured afro wigs on while wearing a "Jesus Saves" t-shirt. I had watched some of the Canadian Open golf earlier that day - we didn't have cable in my town at that point and just watched whatever crap was on TV - and noticed that guy there and he obviously traveled to Hamilton from Oakville for the football game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3eugHqcbi0

Rollen Stewart (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart)

OV Argo
12-12-2022, 03:51 PM
You won't see this anymore. Going from my childhood memories, these are some of the better field conditions that I saw in Ottawa. I don't think I've seen this one out in the collections, it features the era of the Montreal NFL "stars" I get a big kick out of the commercials, they are so embedded in your memory you know them 40 years on.

Lex Luger was on the Als that year, I haven't gone through the broadcast to see if he was there. He only played two games that year. JC Watts would also go on to later fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdkl7zgWKJA

I watched that Riders/Als game recently.

Have no idea how the field got that muddy but only in the middle ??? Unless the field was played on the day before, which is highly unlikely i think? Vey bizarre unless somebody could provide an explanation - Lansdowne Park grass was usually pretty good, so how on earth was the field that chewed up, but only in the middle, and right from the start of the game ?

This was the 81 Rough Riders that nearly upset the mighty EE dynasty in the GC (I was there in the freezing cold of the Big Owe). The Als could have easily won and came close to taking the lead on 2 late drives. Some pretty talented US ball stars on that team - Cousineau was a force at MLB; Lex Luger was on the O-line. Riders had a pretty talented D though (Raines, Marshall on the D-line, Carl Brazley, Rick Sowieta), so not that surprising they gave the Esks a scare.

ArgoRavi
12-12-2022, 04:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3eugHqcbi0

Rollen Stewart (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart)

Wow! That's a helluva story. Thanks for finding this! He did get on camera three times during the B.C./Hamilton 1983 game at Ivor Wynne.

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 06:12 PM
Have no idea how the field got that muddy but only in the middle ??? Unless the field was played on the day before, which is highly unlikely i think? Vey bizarre unless somebody could provide an explanation - Lansdowne Park grass was usually pretty good, so how on earth was the field that chewed up, but only in the middle, and right from the start of the game ?Maybe I'm wrong as I was a kid at the time but the video showed how I remember the Ottawa turf for much of the time. I don't think the wave of first generation artificial turf came in solely because of maintenance savings, it was playing surfaces becoming very near unplayable like that.

SkalbaniasGhost
12-12-2022, 06:54 PM
Have no idea how the field got that muddy but only in the middle ??? Unless the field was played on the day before, which is highly unlikely i think? Vey bizarre unless somebody could provide an explanation - Lansdowne Park grass was usually pretty good, so how on earth was the field that chewed up, but only in the middle, and right from the start of the game ?

I believe there was a very public debate about the installation of artificial turf during this time period of 1978-82. Allan Waters was angry about rent and upkeep of the stadium at the time.
The Ottawa Sooners Jr team often had issues getting access to the stadium for the CJFL playoffs and this was in conflict to the stadium's mission as a public use.There was an upload of the 1979 eastern semi-final that showed the field in a better light.I recall that game because of a vicious hit that Tom Clements had taken that showed his mouthguard going flying in the air.
Sadly, The league office or CBC requested a takedown notice for Youtube.

bannedforlife
12-12-2022, 07:00 PM
Not as bad but not great in spots either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMic6BqztKE

OV Argo
12-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Not as bad but not great in spots either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMic6BqztKE

Not even close to the mud bowl of that 81 play-off game; again - how did the field get that bad and right from the start of the game ?

ArgoRavi
12-13-2022, 01:06 AM
I seem to recall seeing at least a couple of muddy games a year from Lansdowne Park in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was as much of a certainty as seeing a monsoon game or two from Empire Stadium in Vancouver in those days.

bannedforlife
12-13-2022, 05:09 AM
I seem to recall seeing at least a couple of muddy games a year from Lansdowne Park in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was as much of a certainty as seeing a monsoon game or two from Empire Stadium in Vancouver in those days.Someone asked me once why THF (I think it was) didn't have a roof and that there were other stadiums that didn't as well. Aside from cost and history, the best answer I could come up with was unlike England (his point of reference) we don't have any winter leagues nor a true rainy climate like England (whether that is a myth or not) Again not sure if it is myth or truth I thought of BC as being rainy and had to think if Empire Stadium had a roof (it did). And I seem to recall as well that like Lansdowne in Ottawa often being a muddy quagmire, Empire Stadium often had monsoon like rain.

https://i.imgur.com/fkl7W7x.png

September 13 1970

OV Argo
12-13-2022, 11:40 AM
Ok; but still, nobody has an explanation as to how the field got so bad/muddy in the middle and right from the start of the game, for that 81 play-off game at Lansdowne ? Had to be chewed up by some other use, and the Rough Riders had not played there in 3 weeks (Oct. 18 to Nov. 8).

bannedforlife
12-13-2022, 01:59 PM
Turf care practices have changed dramatically in those 40 years. You might be conflating what it should look like now as compared to then. Once a field goes like that, there's no easy way to repair it, you can lay down pieces of new turf but it needs time to "bed in" That's still the biggest issue today aside from use too quickly between events.

Look back at old English soccer games from the 70s, around the goals are a humongous mess. That's because they are the most used area (like the centre of a football field) they don't have the time "to heal" As the Wembley groundskeeper said, their biggest problem was practices and the area around the net, the goalies insist on practicing where they will be during the game instead of on the sideline.

bannedforlife
12-16-2022, 05:57 AM
Here's an interesting one. It shows the glory days of the Als, Russ Jackson impersonating a swinger, and the requisite K-Tel commercials. They mention Larry Key in the intro and some of us were already aware of him through this great yet now unknown event (http://tampasportshistory.blogspot.com/2008/01/can-am-bowl-i-1879.html).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryo5weuD6aI

bannedforlife
12-16-2022, 11:29 AM
Here's one from the Ex from September 10 1978. Notable here is Gerry Dattilio getting in the game after Joe Barnes got the start and talk of the upcoming Ali/Spinks rematch to be broadcast live on CBC on Friday September 15, 1978 (57 min). Boy times sure have changed especially as I ponder my attitude towards CBC then as to now. Tom McKee threw to commercial with "You're watching Canadian Professional Football on CBC" I wonder why and when that stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AZZ_SmMO5M

bannedforlife
12-16-2022, 11:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hWnL5pSVnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7KJvUNA8s

At 2:04:45 they mention Kevin Konar playing in the 1977 and 78 Can Am Bowl and they mentioned talk of reviving it.

bannedforlife
12-16-2022, 11:42 AM
My personal recommendation:

Discover 4K Video Downloader (https://www.4kdownload.com/-1uvr6/video-downloader)

Enjoy watching videos anywhere, any time, even when you are offline. Downloading is simple and straightforward: just copy the link from your browser and click 'Paste Link’ in the application. That’s it!

ArgoRavi
12-16-2022, 03:53 PM
Here's an interesting one. It shows the glory days of the Als, Russ Jackson impersonating a swinger, and the requisite K-Tel commercials. They mention Larry Key in the intro and some of us were already aware of him through this great yet now unknown event (http://tampasportshistory.blogspot.com/2008/01/can-am-bowl-i-1879.html).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryo5weuD6aI

I remember in Jeffrey Goodman's book about the CFL in around 1980 or 1981, he mentioned how Larry Key was concerned about coming up to Canada when he saw no visible minorities on the Canadian team at the Can-Am Bowl.

OV Argo
12-16-2022, 05:13 PM
I watched both (i think) of those Can-Am Bowls on TV up here.

The American team was supposed to be comprised of lower Division NCAA players, but they reneged and brought in some Div. I stars.

Might be an interesting type game to be tried again? What i would propose would be a game between the Vanier Champs (with the HC of that team able to supplement his squad with all-star players from the same Conference) against a NCAA team that did not get to go to a Bowl game down south - so both teams have something to shoot for and prove, and an extra perk for winning the Vanier. Or else an all-star game between Canadian U Sports all-stars (let them supplement with Canadians playing US college ball) vs. an NCAA all-star team. But actual school teams might prove a smoother, more competitive game rather than thrown together all-star teams? Alternate between playing in Canada (BC Place dome) and the US year after year; have one half Canadian rules and the 2nd half American rules.

Not sure the dorks at Bell/CTV/TSN would be interested in televising the game (probably too cheap to produce it or told no by their bean-counters); maybe CBC could cover the game like they did for the Vanier this year ?

ArgoRavi
12-16-2022, 09:09 PM
I watched both (i think) of those Can-Am Bowls on TV up here.

The American team was supposed to be comprised of lower Division NCAA players, but they reneged and brought in some Div. I stars.

Might be an interesting type game to be tried again? What i would propose would be a game between the Vanier Champs (with the HC of that team able to supplement his squad with all-star players from the same Conference) against a NCAA team that did not get to go to a Bowl game down south - so both teams have something to shoot for and prove, and an extra perk for winning the Vanier. Or else an all-star game between Canadian U Sports all-stars (let them supplement with Canadians playing US college ball) vs. an NCAA all-star team. But actual school teams might prove a smoother, more competitive game rather than thrown together all-star teams? Alternate between playing in Canada (BC Place dome) and the US year after year; have one half Canadian rules and the 2nd half American rules.

Not sure the dorks at Bell/CTV/TSN would be interested in televising the game (probably too cheap to produce it or told no by their bean-counters); maybe CBC could cover the game like they did for the Vanier this year ?

Back in the 1970s when the Can-Am Bowl was held, it seemed like a time when anything was possible in sports. Rival leagues to the big ones popped up and new sports leagues, like World Team Tennis or whatever it was called, sprouted up. Those days, sadly, are long gone.

Will
12-17-2022, 10:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hWnL5pSVnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7KJvUNA8s

At 2:04:45 they mention Kevin Konar playing in the 1977 and 78 Can Am Bowl and they mentioned talk of reviving it.

I was referring to the Sept. 18/1983 game where the Argos beat Hamilton 50-16.

bannedforlife
01-06-2023, 05:58 PM
Amazing quality colour videotape footage featuring six of the nine teams from 1971. Too many factoids to mention but a few. Don Jonas in a Winnipeg uniform, CIAU legend Paul Brule also playing for Winnipeg. A sighting of The Fifth Estate's Bob McKeown for Ottawa. Twenty-five year old John Wells can be heard doing PBP for the Western games having just arrived at CBC that year and having been in the business already for six years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JQWg1WN6TU

For a videophile like me the picture quality of the last two games is fantastic (one at night and one at day). The Stamps players seem surprisingly fast compared to the other teams.

All of this and ending with the Argos beating the Cats on muddy turf at the Ex

OV Argo
01-06-2023, 10:00 PM
Amazing quality colour videotape footage featuring six of the nine teams from 1971. Too many factoids to mention but a few. Don Jonas in a Winnipeg uniform, CIAU legend Paul Brule also playing for Winnipeg. A sighting of The Fifth Estate's Bob McKeown for Ottawa. Twenty-five year old John Wells can be heard doing PBP for the Western games having just arrived at CBC that year and having been in the business already for six years.

[video=youtube;3JQWg1WN6TU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JQWg1WN6TU[/video

For a videophile like me the picture quality of the last two games is fantastic (one at night and one at day). The Stamps players seem surprisingly fast compared to the other teams.

All of this and ending with the Argos beating the Cats on muddy turf at the Ex

Thanks for this: great CFL days; outstanding football; and lots of great Canadian talent on display

bannedforlife
02-14-2023, 02:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZU3Dvr0a_8

ArgoRavi
02-14-2023, 11:36 AM
While this isn't a classic game, it is a classic music video, in which Glen Suitor raps, that was referenced by Will on the Argos Fancast:

https://youtu.be/Acpvrg_Jz-4

Will
02-15-2023, 12:20 PM
There was also this beauty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4lVSABvN5k&ab_channel=gastronomist

bannedforlife
02-15-2023, 07:37 PM
40k Empire Stadium, Vancouver - "The biggest crowd ever to see a single sports event in Canadian history"

Skimming through, I didn't recognize a 26 year old Bill Stephenson until I heard the voice. Good to see video of Steve Douglas (not Freddy Mac) the oft named but seldom seen early CBC sportscaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kBjyKa5lI

ArgoRavi
02-16-2023, 10:41 AM
There was also this beauty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4lVSABvN5k&ab_channel=gastronomist

Richie Hall is #27 in that video. There's a memorable photo that was taken of Hall in tears at Calgary City Hall after City Council refused to bail the Stamps out and it looked bleak for the franchise during that off-season.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8