PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Toronto Argonauts @ Edmonton Elks

Will
06-20-2023, 08:29 AM
A trap game if there ever was one.

gilthethrill
06-20-2023, 09:04 AM
Trap game….na….Argos roll over Edmonton.

Retrogorilla 2
06-20-2023, 09:46 AM
The Esks (I will call them that) offence is braindead. I can't see them putting up enough points to beat anybody.

Stevoman
06-20-2023, 10:29 AM
Trap game for sure. But week one could've been a game where they weren't as focused either (bye week, ring ceremony, banner, etc.) and yet they seemed very prepared and poised throughout.

Scooter McCray
06-20-2023, 10:54 AM
Way too early for a trap game. Argos second game and first away game. The Elks are a team the Argos should never lose to. And they almost did last year, but that was much later in the season. The Argos are just coming together as a team playing real games now. Everything is fresh, and I think they have a clear understanding of what they are and what can be accomplished together. I am expecting nothing less than a professional, down to business road trip to dismantle a clearly weaker team.

"Issues"Mcgee
06-20-2023, 01:34 PM
I feel terrible for Edmonton and the fans. They have had to put up with so much BS in the past few years. I found myself audibly cheering for them in week 1. I want to see them get that elusive home win and get back to being a competitive team...

But all that goes out the window this week. I hope the Argos slaughter them. No mercy.

paulwoods13
06-20-2023, 02:42 PM
Way too early for a trap game.

I wish I could agree, but any time one team is clearly more talented and better-coached, and the other team is desperate for a win and/or looking to break a long winless streak, it spells trap. I believe Argos can and will win, but I don't see this as anything close to a sure thing.

bluto
06-20-2023, 03:37 PM
Total trap game.

The thought of being the team that loses there makes my blood run cold. Lose the game that we're practically nailed-on to win? It'd be typical Argos if we did.

Still think the boys will do the business and have a 10 margin of victory... but my inner pessimist won't let me alone.

ArgoRavi
06-21-2023, 11:05 AM
I wasn't crazy to see an Argos road game in Edmonton this early when I first saw the schedule. Edmonton has lost 18 straight home games so they're definitely overdue and teams often bounce back after dreadful performances like the one the Elks put in last week. For example, the Argos were shutout in Edmonton in 2019 and came back and won their next game at home against the powerful Bombers (after falling behind 17-0) so anything is possible. The game at the end of last year in Edmonton was also too close for comfort.

AngeloV
06-21-2023, 12:28 PM
There is no such thing as a trap game.

Will
06-21-2023, 11:09 PM
The Argos are something like 14-27 at Commonwealth since it opened in the late 70's, and of those wins the biggest margin was like 13 points or something.

Heck, even Flutie's '97 team barely eeked out a win.

ArgoRavi
06-22-2023, 12:27 AM
The Argos are something like 14-27 at Commonwealth since it opened in the late 70's, and of those wins the biggest margin was like 13 points or something.

Heck, even Flutie's '97 team barely eeked out a win.

Edmonton had a pretty good team in 1997 and should have been the West representative in the Grey Cup at Commonwealth. That probably would have been another classic game too. I still don't know how Saskatchewan upset Edmonton that year in the West Final.

Scooter McCray
06-22-2023, 02:11 PM
Its a trap.
Not really. Argos will exceed their 13 point all time margin of victory at Commonwealth. This is not the 1978 Eskimos.

"Issues"Mcgee
06-22-2023, 09:20 PM
Its a trap.
Not really. Argos will exceed their 13 point all time margin of victory at Commonwealth. This is not the 1978 Eskimos.

It's a trap!!!

Retrogorilla 2
06-23-2023, 01:06 PM
I really can't see us losing to Edmonton. It might be closer than we'd like but I'm far more worried about the Lions game...they look legit this year.

paulwoods13
06-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Oakman, Gittens, Leake and Stiggers are out, Ciraco is a game-time decision. If the latter can't go, I assume Nicastro will slide over to centre and MacKellar will play RG, perhaps with Noll coming off PR to back up.

Oakman, Gittens and Leake are on the one-game, Stiggers is on practice roster. Peters, Hendrix, Acheampong and Byrd are in.

The depth chart shows Ungerer and Brissett both starting at receiver, and both listed as designated National. Daniels is listed as backing up Byrd and as designated American. Presumably he will replace any of Byrd, Ungerer or Brissett and play most if not all snaps. By listing him as DA, both he and Byrd can be on the field for up to 23 plays. I doubt Ungerer will take many offensive snaps, but we'll see.

No indication who the primary kick returner(s) will be. Presumably Pickett will be one of the two on KOs, likely with Brissett, I would think. Who knows on punts. Maybe Byrd is capable of returning although that's a lot of pressure to put on a guy in his first game, on the road. I just hope we don't dial up another idiotic pass-across-the-field play like we did last year in Edmonton, with Haydel as the thrower.

ArgoZ
06-24-2023, 12:08 PM
I think Byrd is definitely returning some kicks. Right up the middle I hope. Excited to see it.

ArgoRavi
06-24-2023, 06:15 PM
Byrd had a punt return TD in the preseason so we know that he can at least perform the punt return duties.

Retrogorilla 2
06-25-2023, 08:41 AM
Wishing the Boatmen luck for today's game - let's go Arrrrrrrrgos!

jerrym
06-25-2023, 07:28 PM
Sims looks like the returner the Elks have been looking for, although the Argos weren't covering all the possible return lanes.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 07:43 PM
The combo of Ouellette and Harris, along with a touch of Kelly running, gives the Argos a great running attack and makes the passing game more effective. Responding immediately to the Elks first score is also important.

Argo57
06-25-2023, 07:49 PM
Shake it off Chad!

jerrym
06-25-2023, 07:58 PM
Several mistakes helped lead to the second Elk TD - the kick that should have been let go into the end zone, the illegal block, and Kelly throwing a gimme interception TD. The Argos appear to be making some good plays, then get sloppy again, thinking this is only the Elks. Letting bad teams off the floor so they believe in themselves doesn't usually work out well.

Spindrift
06-25-2023, 08:15 PM
Great work by Kelly and Ungerer for the TD. Kelly bounced back nicely from the pick six.

ArgofanIan
06-25-2023, 08:18 PM
Nice hearing pre game and game call by Mike Hogan on 1050. Had to drive in from the east... nice when CFL is on AM radio... used to hear 1150 as far out as Cobourg..... really miss that....

jerrym
06-25-2023, 08:19 PM
Kelly running like he did in the Grey Cup and breaking a tackle for a loss leads to a second TD.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 08:24 PM
Poor tackling on Moore leads to a first down and a big gain for the Elks.

dmont
Deionte Knight with a couple offsides. Clean it up!

What was that garbage tackle attempt by Robertson Daniel on the last edm drive? Cost the team three points.

Retrogorilla 2
Robertson has missed a couple of gimme tackles. DL playing well though.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 08:30 PM
If it wasn't for the green and yellow stands, I would have thought the game was in Toronto with all the empty seats. But that is what happens to the once strongest franchise in the league when you keep on losing home games and the last home win was in October 2019.

OV Argo
06-25-2023, 08:31 PM
Deionte Knight with a couple offsides. Clean it up!

What was that garbage tackle attempt by Robertson Daniel on the last edm drive? Cost the team three points.

2 weeks in a row, good Argo LBs have whiffed on TD saving tackle opportunities; this week, McManis on Brown (who did make a nice stiff arm).

jerrym
06-25-2023, 08:45 PM
AJ scores again!

gilthethrill
06-25-2023, 08:46 PM
Memo to Receivers…..stop doing that stupid 1Down signal after every catch. Almost cost Cam Philips. He should know better.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 08:54 PM
Best game of Ungerer's career with a TD reception and a blocked kick.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 08:59 PM
AJ Threepeats! I love this guy because he gets the most out of natural talent to achieve at a level way beyond what one would expect.

Argo57
06-25-2023, 09:06 PM
Memo to Receivers…..stop doing that stupid 1Down signal after every catch. Almost cost Cam Philips. He should know better.

100% agree.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 09:14 PM
No Tre Ford as they go their third string American QB. Is Ford following the traditional path of Canadian QBs, no fault of his own?

Argo57
06-25-2023, 09:19 PM
No Tre Ford as they go their third string American QB. Is Ford following the traditional path of Canadian QBs, no fault of his own?

I’d be calling Edmonton to see if Ford is available.

dmont
06-25-2023, 09:21 PM
Hope Cage is alright. That guy has $hit for luck.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 09:26 PM
Like I said earlier, Sims looks like a great find for the Elks after another good return.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 09:28 PM
Great forced fumble at the goal line by Peters. However, the Elks if they didn't have bad luck would have no luck at all.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 09:36 PM
Adeboboye demonstrating he provides a third good RB if Harris or Ouellette go down at any time during the season.

jerrym
06-25-2023, 09:39 PM
Doege shows some promise but gets intercepted because of his inexperience. But unlike Ford, he's American so give him another chance and another and another.

dmont
06-25-2023, 09:39 PM
Sit Chad Kelly. He got run over on his INT, don't need him getting hurt. Give Scott some reps.

OV Argo
06-25-2023, 10:03 PM
Doege shows some promise but gets intercepted because of his inexperience. But unlike Ford, he's American so give him another chance and another and another.

Tell us something we don't know jerry ;o) Jones is a fool in terms of QBs.

Nice to see the Argos pound the ground game - that's 3 good backs; and congrats on Dylan Giffen finally getting a chance to start - he's a massive interior O-lineman who can help the run game - be tempted to leave him there and let Hunter play OT

Will
06-25-2023, 10:08 PM
The trio of Ouellette, Harris and Adeboboye was effective at RB rushing 31 times for 165 times.

Also of note, the Argos two leading receivers were David Ungerer III and Dejon Brissett who are both Canadians. Way to step up for Kurleigh guys.

Argo57
06-25-2023, 10:08 PM
Argos front seven looks dominant so far this season, impressive talent and depth at DL and LB.

Argo57
06-25-2023, 10:10 PM
The trio of Ouellette, Harris and Adeboboye was effective at RB rushing 31 times for 165 times.

Also of note, the Argos two leading receivers were David Ungerer III and Dejon Brissett who are both Canadians. Way to step up for Kurleigh guys.

Brissett also threw some nice blocks tonight.
Absolutely love the balance on O, punishing ground game opens up the passing game.
Big test coming next Monday against the Lions.

OV Argo
06-25-2023, 10:15 PM
Brissett also threw some nice blocks tonight.
Absolutely love the balance on O, punishing ground game opens up the passing game.
Big test coming next Monday against the Lions.

Yes - real big test vs. BC

Both Ds use a full 8 man or so rotation on the D-line and it's working very well for both defences.

We'll see if the Argos stick with lots of ground game against a BC D that has been tough so far; pound the run game and then go with plenty of deep passing please.

Stevoman
06-25-2023, 10:32 PM
Well, that was fun!

Always happy to see the Argos put up 40 points. I love how Peters redeemed himself for the penalty he took by stripping the ball away!

I'm loving the balance on offence so far this season!

Argo57
06-25-2023, 10:33 PM

Both Ds use a full 8 man or so rotation on the D-line and it's working very well for both defences.

We'll see if the Argos stick with lots of ground game against a BC D that has been tough so far; pound the run game and then go with plenty of deep passing please.

I think they need to continue with the run next week OV, otherwise Kelly will be under a lot of pressure.

OV Argo
06-25-2023, 10:59 PM

When Gittens returns is he still the only starting Canadian receiver for this offence? Brissett is looking good and is likely the fastest Argo receiver for Kelly to go deep to; Ungerer showed he can play too after just sparing use with the Ticats.

Shatto
06-25-2023, 11:16 PM
Sooner or later the Elks will win a home game and it may well be against a favoured team. It is hard not to be complacent when the opposition hasn't won a home game for forever.

Both the OL and DL of the Argos dominated tonight. Even with injuries to Bladek (what is his injury?) and Ciraco the OL gave excellent protection to Kelly and opened up gaping holes for the running game. On defense, the front 7 took turns putting pressure on the Elks QBs. Was Oakman really injured or was it a case of the coaches preferring Brinkman and Hendrix at DT? I guess we will find out in the next game.

The only concern was the performance of the return teams. They couldn't seem to stop the Elks return game and in turn they couldn't get their return game going at all. Considering this has been an ongoing problem for a couple of seasons, one must question both the schemes and the coaching of the special teams. Worthy had trouble returning kicks when he was with the Argos but with Montreal he has been dynamite.

ArgoRavi
06-25-2023, 11:17 PM

This may be a potential Grey Cup preview.

OV Argo
06-25-2023, 11:39 PM
Sooner or later the Elks will win a home game and it may well be against a favoured team. It is hard not to be complacent when the opposition hasn't won a home game for forever.

Both the OL and DL of the Argos dominated tonight. Even with injuries to Bladek (what is his injury?) and Ciraco the OL gave excellent protection to Kelly and opened up gaping holes for the running game. On defense, the front 7 took turns putting pressure on the Elks QBs. Was Oakman really injured or was it a case of the coaches preferring Brinkman and Hendrix at DT? I guess we will find out in the next game.

The only concern was the performance of the return teams. They couldn't seem to stop the Elks return game and in turn they couldn't get their return game going at all. Considering this has been an ongoing problem for a couple of seasons, one must question both the schemes and the coaching of the special teams. Worthy had trouble returning kicks when he was with the Argos but with Montreal he has been dynamite.

Can't see anyway that the D coaches think either of Hendrix or Brinkman are an upgrade over Oakman, but you never know I guess. Oakman, Hendrix, Acheampong and Knight (looking good IMO) is a solid rotation at DT, and the Argos do this D-line rotation more than any team (with BC copying them).

Blue90
06-26-2023, 01:33 AM
Love the way Chad Kelly is playing. He looks like a keeper.

AJ reminds me of Chad Kackert. Great hard running

Let's go Argos.

paulwoods13
06-26-2023, 08:21 AM
I wasn't able to listen to the radio broadcast and have no info to impart, but I'm concerned that both Williams and Smith might have been injured during the game. I saw neither guy on the field after about the first quarter, and it was clear that McManis was playjng MIKE and Jones was at WIL. Those would be huge losses; hopefully Muamba could come off the six early if needed.

Great game by the o-line. Interesting that Giffen has surpassed MacKellar on the depth chart. Hopefully Cage is OK.

The front six, even without Oakman and Smith, exhibits hellacious pressure, at least against sieve o-lines in Hamilton and Edmonton.

Huge test next week.

paulwoods13
06-26-2023, 08:23 AM
When Gittens returns is he still the only starting Canadian receiver for this offence? Brissett is looking good and is likely the fastest Argo receiver for Kelly to go deep to; Ungerer showed he can play too after just sparing use with the Ticats.

Ungerer has surprised me a lot. He looks small, but is able to make plays. Gittens is still the top NAT receiver (and probably our top receiver, period) but both those guys will need some playing time. I expect we will be starting two NATs at receiver regardless, especially if Williams and Muamba both end up on IR at the same time.

AngeloV
06-26-2023, 08:24 AM
I wasn't able to listen to the radio broadcast and have no info to impart, but I'm concerned that both Williams and Smith might have been injured during the game. I saw neither guy on the field after about the first quarter, and it was clear that McManis was playjng MIKE and Jones was at WIL. Those would be huge losses; hopefully Muamba could come off the six early if needed.

Great game by the o-line. Interesting that Giffen has surpassed MacKellar on the depth chart. Hopefully Cage is OK.

The front six, even without Oakman and Smith, exhibits hellacious pressure, at least against sieve o-lines in Hamilton and Edmonton.

Huge test next week.

Not sur if Giffen has surpassed MacKellar. I think it all had to do with where they practice, with Giffen practicing at RG and MacKellar at LG. With Nicastro moving to C from RG, Giffen drew in.

paulwoods13
06-26-2023, 08:25 AM
It's too bad we gave up that late touchdown to shrink the margin to 19 points; if Edm hadn't scored there (with about half the fourth quarter left), it would have been a good opportunity to give Scott some playing time. (Even when they did score, it might have still been a good opportunity.)

AngeloV
06-26-2023, 11:06 AM

Ungerer did not surprise me. I was really happy when the Argos signed him. He’s also a good returner, and I think the Argos should give him a shot there. Brissett has so much talent, and can be a great receiver. I think the only thing holding him back are mental mistakes. Kelly should have had a TD pass to him on a short crossing route near the goal line, but Brissett stopped and sat in the hole. Kelly looked pissed coming off the field. He also seemed to lose the ball on an early corner route which was a great throw. If he can eliminate these types of mistakes, he can be a star.

paulwoods13
06-26-2023, 11:44 AM
Not sur if Giffen has surpassed MacKellar. I think it all had to do with where they practice, with Giffen practicing at RG and MacKellar at LG. With Nicastro moving to C from RG, Giffen drew in.

That is absolutely a possibility. Whatever the circumstance, IMO the line played better last night than any game I can remember in recent years, and the interior seemed particularly strong. For what it's worth, when Cage got hurt, they bumped Hunter out to LT and put Mackellar in at LG. For the record, Ciraco's game-time scratch meant Brayden Noll moved off the PR and will get a game cheque.

Shatto
06-26-2023, 11:59 AM
It does now appear Oakman was a healthy scratch. Both Brinkman and Hendrix are excellent DTs but IMO Oakman has superior athletic skills. Perhaps he takes the occasional snap off --who knows but it was apparently a ratio issue.

If Williams and Smith are unable to play in the upcoming game, the team will have to do some juggling for sake of the ratio.

Will
06-26-2023, 12:13 PM
Oakman got banged up in the Hamilton game, but returned to that game.

Ben Grant explained on his podcast that Oakman's absence had something to do with the Gittens injury.

paulwoods13
06-26-2023, 12:13 PM
It does now appear Oakman was a healthy scratch. Both Brinkman and Hendrix are excellent DTs but IMO Oakman has superior athletic skills. Perhaps he takes the occasional snap off --who knows but it was apparently a ratio issue.

If Williams and Smith are unable to play in the upcoming game, the team will have to do some juggling for sake of the ratio.

If it was solely a ratio issue, they could have sat Barlow. That would have still left two backup/rotation DEs in Smith and Marion. Luckily Barlow was dressed and made a sack. DT is a position of great depth, with the three Americans plus Acheampong and the increasingly impressive Knight. It did appear to me that at least one NAT (mostly Acheampong or Knight) was in on every snap most of the night, which reinforced my belief Williams was out of the game. Someone reported on Twitter that the Argos had put up their injury tent, I'm guessing that was for either Williams or Smith.

paulwoods13
06-26-2023, 12:14 PM

Ben Grant explained on his podcast that Oakman's absence had something to do with the Gittens injury.

Oakman seemed to get his eye poked against Hamilton, but possibly suffered another injury on the same play -- he was down on the ground for a while.

OV Argo
06-26-2023, 01:34 PM

Zero reason for this Argo team to have any ratio problem issues. And why on earth would any coaching staff sit proven Oakman over lesser DTs unless it was a discipline issue or he is injured and not 100% ? "Gittens injury" ??? - would have zero real reason to do with sitting Oakman

Cassar could easily start at MLB; yesterday proved they were fine with 2 Canadian receivers and could easily go 3 when Gittens returns; Hunter could kick-out to OT with Gifffen, MacKellar (Bladek) capable of manning the interior along with Nicastro & Ciraco; 4 experienced now Canadians to play in the D-line rotation. Harris & Adeobobye at RB.

This Argo team could easily start 10 or 11 Nationals and beat up on some weak CFL teams who do like to bleat about possible "ratio problems"/ excuses and see 7 only need apply thinking.

ArgoRavi
06-26-2023, 02:12 PM
If it was solely a ratio issue, they could have sat Barlow. That would have still left two backup/rotation DEs in Smith and Marion. Luckily Barlow was dressed and made a sack. DT is a position of great depth, with the three Americans plus Acheampong and the increasingly impressive Knight. It did appear to me that at least one NAT (mostly Acheampong or Knight) was in on every snap most of the night, which reinforced my belief Williams was out of the game. Someone reported on Twitter that the Argos had put up their injury tent, I'm guessing that was for either Williams or Smith.

I asked Ben Grant about Williams and Smith. Ben said that Smith was rotated in throughout the entire game so he isn't aware of any injury there. Williams, on the other hand, was injured on the first Edmonton TD and tried playing a couple of special teams snaps after that before sitting out the remainder of the game.

Rich
06-26-2023, 05:34 PM
would have been a good opportunity to give Scott some playing time. (Even when they did score, it might have still been a good opportunity.)

Cam Dukes is listed 2nd on the depth chart, plus he inexplicably is replacing Kelly on short yardage, looks like he’s next man up right now.

Rich
06-27-2023, 01:23 AM
Love the way Chad Kelly is playing. He looks like a keeper.

I thought Kelly gave a MBT-like performance against the Elks, some beautiful passes, some terrible passes, and a lot of grit.

But not too many QBs on the planet have the combination of strength, speed, vision and touch that Kelly showed on that Ungerer TD.

I think Kelly will get a lot better, but if he doesn’t, I’ll take a few terrible passes in exchange for some spectacular plays like that.

paulwoods13
06-27-2023, 08:16 AM
I asked Ben Grant about Williams and Smith. Ben said that Smith was rotated in throughout the entire game so he isn't aware of any injury there. Williams, on the other hand, was injured on the first Edmonton TD and tried playing a couple of special teams snaps after that before sitting out the remainder of the game.

That's good to hear re Smith altho he sure wasn't visible on TV. Williams would be a big loss.

paulwoods13
06-27-2023, 08:18 AM
Cam Dukes is listed 2nd on the depth chart, plus he inexplicably is replacing Kelly on short yardage, looks like he’s next man up right now.

I doubt that. Dukes was also the short-yardage guy in Week 1 when he was listed as third on the chart. Teams traditionally and typically use third-stringer on sneaks, going back at least as far as 2017 when Fajardo held that role for Argos. I firmly believe the org is higher on Scott than on Dukes, although presumably neither guy gets a lot of reps in practice.

AngeloV
06-27-2023, 01:06 PM
But not too many QBs on the planet have the combination of strength, speed, vision and touch that Kelly showed on that Ungerer TD.

I am very happy with the way Kelly has played, but the TD to Ungerer had nothing to do with touch. He was so wide open Kelly just lofted it up so as not to miss him as well he should have. Ungerer had to wait for the ball.

ArgoGabe22
06-27-2023, 01:27 PM
When was the last time we had such a balanced offence with an actual run game?

OV Argo
06-27-2023, 02:26 PM

More run play calls than pass plays in a game is mind-boggling in the modern CFL and to GOB offence minds; mind you, the excuse is going to be that the Argos had a decent lead and so would want to run more to grind the clock or control the ball, but that's total B$ excuse, as the same thing would apply in a close game even if you were behind some. We shall see if the strong ground game continues; AJO is a beast; Harris still can do it; and Adeboboye is another ground weapon and change of pace different style back. Run sets up the pass too.

paulwoods13
06-27-2023, 05:25 PM

Maybe at times in late 2017 when Wilder was going, and before that maybe when Jenkins was here. But yeah, it's extremely rare.

Rich
06-27-2023, 11:56 PM
the TD to Ungerer had nothing to do with touch. He was so wide open Kelly just lofted it up so as not to miss him as well he should have. Ungerer had to wait for the ball.

Kelly was running forward which is great if you want to haul off a bomb or fire a bullet, but makes it harder to float one in. It looks like he takes a little leap while running to get enough loft on the throw, and that’s got at least something to do with touch.

Rich
06-28-2023, 12:16 AM
I doubt that. Dukes was also the short-yardage guy in Week 1 when he was listed as third on the chart. Teams traditionally and typically use third-stringer on sneaks, going back at least as far as 2017 when Fajardo held that role for Argos. I firmly believe the org is higher on Scott than on Dukes, although presumably neither guy gets a lot of reps in practice.

I think most of us agreed that Scott looked better in the preseason, so that’s a good reason to believe that he’s the #2 guy. But shouldn’t the short-yardage QB be the guy best physically suited for the job? That was #3 Fajardo in 17 and #2 Kelly in 22. Do we really want to blow a short yardage play at a crucial time this year without our best short yardage guy in there?

paulwoods13
06-28-2023, 05:33 AM
I think most of us agreed that Scott looked better in the preseason, so that’s a good reason to believe that he’s the #2 guy. But shouldn’t the short-yardage QB be the guy best physically suited for the job? That was #3 Fajardo in 17 and #2 Kelly in 22. Do we really want to blow a short yardage play at a crucial time this year without our best short yardage guy in there?

I agree. Dukes looks like a creative runner, but he is too small IMO for the short-yardage role. I don't want Kelly taking unnecessary hits, so it should be someone else. The problem with using Scott (assuming he's physically suited to the task) is that it exposes him to injury risk, which is less than ideal since he's our best hope if Kelly were to get hurt. Ideally we'd bring in someone better equipped for short yardage, and let Dukes marinate for a year on the practice roster. It's worth remembering that last year the Argos started with Austin Simmons as the short-yardage guy, until that failed in Game 2. And after that, it was several more weeks before Kelly took over from MBT on short yardage.

Argo57
06-28-2023, 07:38 AM
Maybe at times in late 2017 when Wilder was going, and before that maybe when Jenkins was here. But yeah, it's extremely rare.

I would add Chad Kackert to that list, he ran very effectively for the Argonauts after taking over from Cory Boyd.

AngeloV
06-28-2023, 08:35 AM
I agree. Dukes looks like a creative runner, but he is too small IMO for the short-yardage role. I don't want Kelly taking unnecessary hits, so it should be someone else.

I was on board with trying to sign Prukop, but since it didn't happen I think they have no choice but to continue using Kelly for it. I have no issue with that. Look at all the great QB's that have done it themselves over the years and rarely missed games, including Flutio, Garcia, Damon, and Michael Reilly. Some times I think people make too much out QB's getting hit while being ball carriers. Most QB injuries happen in the pocket. Even MBT's thumb injury happened that way. When a QB is a runner they can actually protect themselves better than when they get hit in the pocket. Nothing will convince me otherwise.

paulwoods13
06-28-2023, 11:20 AM
I was on board with trying to sign Prukop, but since it didn't happen I think they have no choice but to continue using Kelly for it. I have no issue with that. Look at all the great QB's that have done it themselves over the years and rarely missed games, including Flutio, Garcia, Damon, and Michael Reilly. Some times I think people make too much out QB's getting hit while being ball carriers. Most QB injuries happen in the pocket. Even MBT's thumb injury happened that way. When a QB is a runner they can actually protect themselves better than when they get hit in the pocket. Nothing will convince me otherwise.

I can't really argue with this, and Dinwiddie must agree on some level since he kept MBT doing it for a few games last season. It would be nice if they developed some sort of changeup package for Dukes or Scott at some point, but it's not a pressing need. What about bringing in Locksley as third-stringer?

ArgoRavi
06-28-2023, 12:41 PM
I can't really argue with this, and Dinwiddie must agree on some level since he kept MBT doing it for a few games last season. It would be nice if they developed some sort of changeup package for Dukes or Scott at some point, but it's not a pressing need. What about bringing in Locksley as third-stringer?

I think that the Argos are trying to be really careful about not bringing malcontents into the locker room, and Locksley may be seen as one.

AngeloV
06-28-2023, 03:01 PM

I would like them to bring in Lockley or Tyrell Pigrome who had a great pre season in Winnipeg and is strong and mobile. He was released to sign Prukop.

AngeloV
06-28-2023, 03:03 PM
I think that the Argos are trying to be really careful about not bringing malcontents into the locker room, and Locksley may be seen as one.

Not sure you can label him that. I would say he was justifiably pissed when taken out after 1 play Sunday. Some would argue Jones is the malcontent.

Rich
06-28-2023, 03:04 PM

I agree completely. I think Fajardo is the only current starter doing his own short yardage, and that’s because he’s so good at it. They would be giving up this advantage if they had their #3 doing it in order to preserve Fajardo. Those aren’t unnecessary hits he’s taking. You gotta have your best guys for every job.

Rich
06-28-2023, 03:09 PM
I would like them to bring in Lockley or Tyrell Pigrome who had a great pre season in Winnipeg and is strong and mobile. He was released to sign Prukop.

I think Pigrome would definitely be an upgrade over Dukes.

Scooter McCray
06-29-2023, 11:58 AM
What about bringing Tre Ford in? Edmonton can't think too much of him. He wasn't even dressed against the Argos. I think he may have much more upside than anyone else on our roster. And he can certainly handle short yardage.

ArgoGabe22
06-29-2023, 01:07 PM
What about bringing Tre Ford in? Edmonton can't think too much of him. He wasn't even dressed against the Argos. I think he may have much more upside than anyone else on our roster. And he can certainly handle short yardage.

I think Tre Ford would also make a good "contingency plan" if Kelly leaves for the NFL. Not saying it will happen but hypothetically, I would like the team to be prepared and not scramble for some washed up back up.

AngeloV
06-29-2023, 05:15 PM

He may have been off the roster last week, but Edmonton has no desire to move him.

Rich
06-29-2023, 06:00 PM
He may have been off the roster last week, but Edmonton has no desire to move him.

Jones likes to stockpile QBs for sure. They just signed former Argo Khalil Tate, so they have 4 in camp again, and Ford could come into play.

OV Argo
06-29-2023, 06:14 PM

Maybe once seemed like Jones regarded Tre Ford highly, but not so sure now, with these recent QB moves (again, the most moronic QB management in CFL history perhaps); I bet Jones drafted Ford as an "athlete" who runs a 4.4 forty, and he even gave him a shot to play last season (along with dozens of other projects with the luxury of a full season TC); but push comes to shove, and GOB programmed "thinking" kicks in, and Canadians don't deserve/belong playing QB in the radical league.

A few CFL teams could make inquiries about trading for Ford and I bet Jones would listen for sure; I just don't see any other CFL teams with any real interest. Ford is not in the line-up again this week, to make way for the star in waiting K. Tate.

ArgoRavi
06-29-2023, 08:51 PM
Maybe once seemed like Jones regarded Tre Ford highly, but not so sure now, with these recent QB moves (again, the most moronic QB management in CFL history perhaps); I bet Jones drafted Ford as an "athlete" who runs a 4.4 forty, and he even gave him a shot to play last season (along with dozens of other projects with the luxury of a full season TC); but push comes to shove, and GOB programmed "thinking" kicks in, and Canadians don't deserve/belong playing QB in the radical league.

A few CFL teams could make inquiries about trading for Ford and I bet Jones would listen for sure; I just don't see any other CFL teams with any real interest. Ford is not in the line-up again this week, to make way for the star in waiting K. Tate.

Jones still seems high on Ford, just not as a short-yardage QB: https://3downnation.com/2023/06/29/hes-a-true-quarterback-chris-jones-insists-elks-havent-soured-on-canadian-qb-tre-ford-despite-healthy-scratches/

Rich
06-30-2023, 12:39 AM
Jones still seems high on Ford, just not as a short-yardage QB: https://3downnation.com/2023/06/29/hes-a-true-quarterback-chris-jones-insists-elks-havent-soured-on-canadian-qb-tre-ford-despite-healthy-scratches/

OR, he’s pumping his tires to jack up the price.

I’d love to see Ford in double blue. Jones really jerked him around, he showed some promise, and he knows the game. Feed him some of Coach D’s QB juju and who knows?

But what’s Jones asking? Do we trade a #8 or #9 pick for him? I would.

primetime31
06-30-2023, 03:54 PM
OR, he’s pumping his tires to jack up the price.

I’d love to see Ford in double blue. Jones really jerked him around, he showed some promise, and he knows the game. Feed him some of Coach D’s QB juju and who knows?

But what’s Jones asking? Do we trade a #8 or #9 pick for him? I would.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton is interested in him given that Ford is from Niagara Falls and that he was also a trainee in the Ticats training camp a few years ago. They seem to be the desperate need of a QB.

However, here's to hoping that the Argos could pull off this deal. I'd love to see him in Double Blue.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8