PDA

View Full Version : July 7th 2012: Calgary Stampeders vs. Toronto Argonauts

T-Bone
07-01-2012, 09:50 AM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/cgy.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png

Week 2
Saturday, July 7th 2012 at 3:00pm ET.
Rogers Centre. Toronto, ON.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)

US Viewing:
Video Webcast: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3)

Depth Chart: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012)

Pre-Game Tailgate: Rogers Centre Outside Gate 11 Starting at 12:00pm. Info here (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-ready-to-host-stampeders-in-2012-home-opener).

marcwagz
07-01-2012, 09:54 AM
ill be there!

1argoholic
07-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Always a difficult one in our house. My Stamp wife was sick of me yesterday already so next week should be fun. I can't help but voice my displeasure on every stupid Argo play.As we know there were plenty yesterday. She just sits quietly and watches. This is what makes watching games on tv much harder than being there. Hopefully we can limit the penalties and that should help a ton.

For today over Montreal, GO STAMPS GO!!!!!

DanTheFan
07-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Looking forward to attending. It might be the only game of the season I can make it out to, so I'll try to be my loudest. :D

Wobbler
07-01-2012, 09:37 PM
After week one we're tied for first place in the East division, which is a good place to be.

Calgary looked very good while demolishing the Alouettes, so we'll need to execute better (fewer penalties, etc. etc.). Presumably Huntley, Mann, and McCollough will take the places of Cohen, Watt, and Williams, for a nice upgrade.

I'm not expecting our offense to really "click" for a few more weeks, but it would be great to see signs of improvement.

paulwoods13
07-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Presumably Huntley, Mann, and McCollough will take the places of Cohen, Watt, and Williams, for a nice upgrade.

I can't see Mann taking the place of Watt, for two reasons. 1. There is no reason to believe it would be an upgrade. When he was called upon, Watt ran a great route to get open in the end zone, and caught the ball. 2. Watt is a non-import. The Argos started eight NIPs last game, one more than required -- going down to seven would reduce roster flexibility considerably.

I would definitely like to see McCollough back in the secondary, altho it played well. Not ready to declare Huntley an obvious upgrade over Cohen but chances are we will see that when the former is healthy.

AngeloV
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I can't see Mann taking the place of Watt, for two reasons. 1. There is no reason to believe it would be an upgrade. When he was called upon, Watt ran a great route to get open in the end zone, and caught the ball. 2. Watt is a non-import. The Argos started eight NIPs last game, one more than required -- going down to seven would reduce roster flexibility considerably.

Have to agree. We all know I spent the off season as Watt's biggest supporter on here, and I still believe he is going to be a star in this league. He won't even turn 23 until the season is over.

Argocister
07-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Calgary's defense played very well today .Hopefully our offense is sufficiently different from the Al's that we can gain some points.
The Al's running game was kept to minimal yards..... So I'm not a football aficionado , but I think Calgary's D was the difference. .
The stamps Oline was strong as well, but I think Foley and gang can give Tate some problems.

tc23
07-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Boy Calgary looked good tonight, i would hate to be playing them next week ??

Wobbler
07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I forgot to mention that I expect Pottinger to replace McCune next week as well. That isn't necessarily an upgrade, since both are experienced CFL MLBs, but it will make the Mann-for-Watt substitution painless from a ratio perspective.

I think there is every reason to believe Mann-for-Watt is an upgrade. I'm sure I don't need to list their relative career stats. Furthermore, we are still very much in the market for a "go to" receiver for Ray, and Mann is a top candidate who needs to be evaluated ASAP. I sincerely hope that Inman's job is safe for a week or two, after his insane catch yesterday. I like Watt, and want him to continue getting reps as he develops, but until he shows that he's better than Mann he's the #5 guy. IMHO.

I would definitely like to see McCollough back in the secondary, altho it played well. Not ready to declare Huntley an obvious upgrade over Cohen but chances are we will see that when the former is healthy.
Huntley has the experience and is reportedly healthy this year after resolving recent chronic nagging issues. I may be proven wrong, but the return of 2010 all-star Huntley sounds like an upgrade to me.

1argoholic
07-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Calgary with Hank at qb always had a tough time playing in Toronto for some reason. Hopefully the trend continues with Tate.

AngeloV
07-02-2012, 01:10 AM

Umm...you do realize that your team is in B.C, right? If Saskatchewan put up 43 in your stadium, I'm thinking B.C might be 50 point favourites on Friday.

Wobbler
07-02-2012, 01:18 AM
1. Click membername
2. Click "View profile"
3. Click "Add to Ignore List"
4. Confirm
5. Resume normal activities

paulwoods13
07-02-2012, 06:51 AM
I forgot to mention that I expect Pottinger to replace McCune next week as well. That isn't necessarily an upgrade, since both are experienced CFL MLBs, but it will make the Mann-for-Watt substitution painless from a ratio perspective.

I think there is every reason to believe Mann-for-Watt is an upgrade. I'm sure I don't need to list their relative career stats. Furthermore, we are still very much in the market for a "go to" receiver for Ray, and Mann is a top candidate who needs to be evaluated ASAP. I sincerely hope that Inman's job is safe for a week or two, after his insane catch yesterday. I like Watt, and want him to continue getting reps as he develops, but until he shows that he's better than Mann he's the #5 guy. IMHO.

Huntley has the experience and is reportedly healthy this year after resolving recent chronic nagging issues. I may be proven wrong, but the return of 2010 all-star Huntley sounds like an upgrade to me.

I certinly would not object to Huntley going in there as early as this week, but I can't see McCune being sat after the game he had. I love Pott and expect him to play a lot this season, but McCune looks like a force at MLB to me. As for Watt and Mann, we'll have to disagree -- I think Watt has already shown he is no worse than Mann as a wide-side wideout. If Mann is going to get into the lineup, I think it will have to be as a replacement for either Inman or Owens. I could see that happening. All three could dress and the Argos could take out either Kackert or an import backup from the defence (such as Payton, who somehow dressed despite not even being on the depth chart. Don't get me started on the usefulness and accuracy of the roster on the Argos' website. It still shows 48 players, and no one on the one-game IL).

tc23
07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Argos have a tough 17 Games coming up, they better put it together fast !

Will
07-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Ticats have a tough 17 games coming up, they better put it together fast!

jerrym
07-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Which team lost game 1 by 27 points and lost their exhibition game 29-24 to the Argos?

jerrym
07-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Mo Mann caught 917 yards in 2009 with Ray and 787 in Hamilton in 2010. He was leading the league with 20 receptions after a couple of games last year before being injured. While it is possible that his severe injuries have reduced his effectiveness, I say give him a chance and, if he fails, you can still dump him. We need experienced receivers, especially if they have worked with Ray. Watt still has potential, but he is young enough that taking a couple of games to find out if Mann still has it will hardly delay his development. Furthermore, with Pottinger returning as a NI, it would not even be necessary to bench Watt.
Huntley was dominant in his first season as an Argo but the question is whether he can remain healthy enough to play game after game, but considering what he did in that first season I would be willing to give him a shot if he appears to be healthy.
McCooough was my favourite db last year and a definite plus as an experienced defender in a rookie-loaded defence.

gilthethrill
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I certinly would not object to Huntley going in there as early as this week, but I can't see McCune being sat after the game he had. I love Pott and expect him to play a lot this season, but McCune looks like a force at MLB to me. As for Watt and Mann, we'll have to disagree -- I think Watt has already shown he is no worse than Mann as a wide-side wideout. If Mann is going to get into the lineup, I think it will have to be as a replacement for either Inman or Owens. I could see that happening. All three could dress and the Argos could take out either Kackert or an import backup from the defence (such as Payton, who somehow dressed despite not even being on the depth chart. Don't get me started on the usefulness and accuracy of the roster on the Argos' website. It still shows 48 players, and no one on the one-game IL).

Paul, I agree about McCune staying in the middle, but can Pottinger take over Eibens position in the linebacking corps?

AngeloV
07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Paul, I agree about McCune staying in the middle, but can Pottinger take over Eibens position in the linebacking corps?

Not going to happen in the scheme that Jones plays. He has 2 converted DB's playing as outside LB's as he prefers a speed d. I think Pottinger will be subbing in for McCune or taking out a DLmen on certain 2nd down situations.

paulwoods13
07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I will be stunned if McCune comes out for Pottinger. He had a great game on Saturday and he knows Jones' schemes inside out. Anyone want to bet that McCune is pulled so Mann can dress this week? I just don't see it happening under any circumstance other than McCune coming down with a (real) injury.

KCargosfan
07-02-2012, 10:13 PM

I thought you were a Ti-cats fan? Kind of odd to be trolling after your team got worked over at home.

KCargosfan
07-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Umm...you do realize that your team is in B.C, right? If Saskatchewan put up 43 in your stadium, I'm thinking B.C might be 50 point favourites on Friday.

That would require him to have some kind of intelligence.

tc23
07-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I thought you were a Ti-cats fan? Kind of odd to be trolling after your team got worked over at home.

I am a CFL Fan, TC is my initials of my name !!

OV Argo
07-03-2012, 12:55 AM
I will be stunned if McCune comes out for Pottinger. He had a great game on Saturday and he knows Jones' schemes inside out. Anyone want to bet that McCune is pulled so Mann can dress this week? I just don't see it happening under any circumstance other than McCune coming down with a (real) injury.

Sorry - didn't see that "great" game by McCune, but yeah he was in on some tackles; but he is familiar with Jones and going to be favored over Pottinger; Mann will be favored over Watt too - and as for Mann's career stats - he's played lots in the CFL and had tons of passes thrown his way and not put together even close to an excellent CFL receiving season IMO - he has dropped lots of passes though.

Rather see McCune get some reps at DE where IMO he is better than at MLB - but i wouldn't be surprised to see him the starting MLB for the season; Mann and Owens as every-down go to like receivers in this Argo offence - i expected - and hope it works out. I'll bet McCune and Mann (if healthy) both play - there shouldn't be any big CFL "ratio problem" to have them both in and they are veterans who the coaching staff will have faith in.

Didn't see much of the subbing on D that Jones showed a lot with his Stamps' D - saw Matt Black in a few plays though; Foley as the main NI on D (though he was out later in the game - not sure who subbed for him in terms of playing another NI on D? - maybe that was when Black was in?); and then 5 NI O-Linemen + Duire = would make for the 7 NI starters. Jones does have a whole pile of ex-NFLers to work with on this Argo D - similar to what he often had with the Stamps' D.

Going to be a huge challenge against the Stamps offence i believe; Cornish is around 10x better than the mediocre Hugh Charles the Esks trotted out at RB and Tate is easily better than Jyles IMO; the Argos D did face a solid O-Line and receiving corps vs. the Esks and the Stamps' groups are good there too. Argo D did not surrender a lot of points and need to maintain this to have much hope against the Stamps i think - maybe home field advantage helps too.

1argoholic
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
TC so your not a Ticat fan? I think with tc everyone would think your a Hamilton fan.

ArgoRavi
07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Sorry - didn't see that "great" game by McCune, but yeah he was in on some tackles; but he is familiar with Jones and going to be favored over Pottinger; Mann will be favored over Watt too - and as for Mann's career stats - he's played lots in the CFL and had tons of passes thrown his way and not put together even close to an excellent CFL receiving season IMO - he has dropped lots of passes though.

Rather see McCune get some reps at DE where IMO he is better than at MLB - but i wouldn't be surprised to see him the starting MLB for the season; Mann and Owens as every-down go to like receivers in this Argo offence - i expected - and hope it works out. I'll bet McCune and Mann (if healthy) both play - there shouldn't be any big CFL "ratio problem" to have them both in and they are veterans who the coaching staff will have faith in.

Didn't see much of the subbing on D that Jones showed a lot with his Stamps' D - saw Matt Black in a few plays though; Foley as the main NI on D (though he was out later in the game - not sure who subbed for him in terms of playing another NI on D? - maybe that was when Black was in?); and then 5 NI O-Linemen + Duire = would make for the 7 NI starters. Jones does have a whole pile of ex-NFLers to work with on this Argo D - similar to what he often had with the Stamps' D. Going to be a huge challenge against the Stamps D i believe; Cornish is around 10x better than the mediocre Hugh Charles the Esks trotted out at RB and Tate is easily better than Jyles IMO; the Argos D did face a solid O-Line and receiving corps vs. the Esks and the Stamps' groups are good there too. Argo D did not surrender a lot of points and need to maintain this to have much hope against the Stamps i think - maybe home field advantage helps too.

Can you explain why Watt started and played the entire game on Saturday, OV? The Argos did not have to start an eighth Canadian but did.

OV Argo
07-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Can you explain why Watt started and played the entire game on Saturday, OV? The Argos did not have to start an eighth Canadian but did.

Because Mann was injured and unable to play maybe? - if they're both healthy and in the line-up, do you really believe this coaching staff is going to have an import as the back-up to a NI ??? - unless a "ratio problem" forces it? I guess Mann or Inman could be a DI and sub for each other, and the Argos could still "start" both Durie and Watt in their 5 pack - i'll believe that when i see it though.

AngeloV
07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Because Mann was injured and unable to play maybe? - if they're both healthy and in the line-up, do you really believe this coaching staff is going to have an import as the back-up to a NI ??? - unless a "ratio problem" forces it? I guess Mann or Inman could be a DI and sub for each other, and the Argos could still "start" both Durie and Watt in their 5 pack - i'll believe that when i see it though.

Watt will be the starter. Milanovich likes him and his speed a lot. My guess is Inman will be a DI for insurance in case Mann goes down.

jrt55555
07-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Having made the trip over to Canada for the summer and staying with family in Brampton I will be bussing it into TO for this one!

I last went to a game back in 2010 (a win vs. Winnepeg) - how early would you guys recommend getting to the stadium before kickoff to make my way comfortably to my seat and enjoy any pre-game activities? Will it be any different considering it's opening weekend?

Can't explain how excited I am to see the Argos in person once again - I just hope my record at the games extends to 2-0! :)

OV Argo
07-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Watt will be the starter. Milanovich likes him and his speed a lot. My guess is Inman will be a DI for insurance in case Mann goes down.

After seeing that just one superb catch by Inman - this guy should be playing IMO - over both Watt & Mann

AngeloV
07-03-2012, 09:36 PM
After seeing that just one superb catch by Inman - this guy should be playing IMO - over both Watt & Mann

He may turn out to be a stud receiver, but c'mon OV. You've watched enough CFL over the years to know that 1 catch (or game for that matter) doesn't equate to earning a starting spot. I remember Brian Bedford having an awesome game for the Argos in his CFL debut in I believe 1989 (Hollywood Rick Johnson at QB and OBIE had it in for DK Smith). He turned out to be nothing to write home about. I get that you don't like Mann, but he's obviously done some things right to stay in this league. Yes he has dropped some balls (so has Andy Fantuz), but maybe he doesn't blow any assignments, including when it comes time to clear for an underneath route. Maybe he's a very coachable player and a good example. There are a lot of intangibles that we likely have no clue about when coaches make their decisions on personnel.

OV Argo
07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
He may turn out to be a stud receiver, but c'mon OV. You've watched enough CFL over the years to know that 1 catch (or game for that matter) doesn't equate to earning a starting spot. I remember Brian Bedford having an awesome game for the Argos in his CFL debut in I believe 1989 (Hollywood Rick Johnson at QB and OBIE had it in for DK Smith). He turned out to be nothing to write home about. I get that you don't like Mann, but he's obviously done some things right to stay in this league. Yes he has dropped some balls (so has Andy Fantuz), but maybe he doesn't blow any assignments, including when it comes time to clear for an underneath route. Maybe he's a very coachable player and a good example. There are a lot of intangibles that we likely have no clue about when coaches make their decisions on personnel.

Yeah - you're right and i have to agree i guess; but still - that was a superb, beautiful catch and maybe a sign of what the guy can do - when he starts dropping passes, I'll be calling for others to get a shot to play instead.

And yep - Fantuz had some drops problems early in his career; Chris Bauman got labelled a bust for a couple of glaring drops early in his career; heard bad things about Bradwell and Watt for some drops as young Argos too. But Mann dropped more passes when he was a go to guy for the Esks a few years back than all of those guys combined probably (don't have any drops stats to prove it though), but he still seems to get handed starting CFL receiver gigs - this i don't get.

ArgoRavi
07-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Yeah - you're right and i have to agree i guess; but still - that was a superb, beautiful catch and maybe a sign of what the guy can do - when he starts dropping passes, I'll be calling for others to get a shot to play instead.

And yep - Fantuz had some drops problems early in his career; Chris Bauman got labelled a bust for a couple of glaring drops early in his career; heard bad things about Bradwell and Watt for some drops as young Argos too. But Mann dropped more passes when he was a go to guy for the Esks a few years back than all of those guys combined probably (don't have any drops stats to prove it though), but he still seems to get handed starting CFL receiver gigs - this i don't get.

Are you not thinking about Kelly Campbell instead, OV? I really don't remember Mann having an inordinate number of drops in Edmonton but my memory may not be very accurate. I do recall Campbell having some problems with key drops which may have, in part, ended his career.

argolio
07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
For the record, McCune led the team with 7 tackles, and I thought he looked better as the game went on (as did the defense in general).

argolio
07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Are you not thinking about Kelly Campbell instead, OV? I really don't remember Mann having an inordinate number of drops in Edmonton but my memory may not be very accurate. I do recall Campbell having some problems with key drops which may have, in part, ended his career.Campbell definitely had a problem with some blatant drops in Edmonton. From what I remember, Mann's biggest problem has been injuries.

OV Argo
07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Are you not thinking about Kelly Campbell instead, OV? I really don't remember Mann having an inordinate number of drops in Edmonton but my memory may not be very accurate. I do recall Campbell having some problems with key drops which may have, in part, ended his career.

Nope - not at all; though Campbell had some drops problems too.

The CFL doesn't keep drops stats - though i have seen some un-official type drops stats in the NFL (over-rated ego head Terrel Owens led the NFL in that category one season); i could be wrong about Mann and that season with the Esks - maybe it was just a couple of glaring ones - but i think a tale of the tape review of that season would prove me quite right = numerous/blatant.

1argoholic
07-04-2012, 12:42 AM
jrt5555 I hope you bring them luck as this will be a tough one. Calgary looked great last week killing Montreal.

Midnight Blue
07-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Having made the trip over to Canada for the summer and staying with family in Brampton I will be bussing it into TO for this one!

I last went to a game back in 2010 (a win vs. Winnepeg) - how early would you guys recommend getting to the stadium before kickoff to make my way comfortably to my seat and enjoy any pre-game activities? Will it be any different considering it's opening weekend?

Can't explain how excited I am to see the Argos in person once again - I just hope my record at the games extends to 2-0! :)

Hi, jrt55555 !

Since no one else has bothered to hazard a response, I will respectfully suggest that you arrive at games at least three days in advance; time enough to settle in, do a little pike fishing in the Harbour, get a few drinks in ya, snatch some local Canadian Beaver (they're everywhere), tackle a Black Bear or two (they've been spotted in Markham, just north of the city), go for a flight in a Lancaster Bomber (in Hamilton, Ontario, 45 min. away), make yer own home-grown perogies (or have the frozen ones from Edmonton we all eat here), stir up a bit of ruckus, and generally enjoy yourself.

Cheers !

Argocister
07-04-2012, 07:58 AM
........................ - how early would you guys recommend getting to the stadium before kickoff to make my way comfortably to my seat and enjoy any pre-game activities? Will it be any different considering it's opening weekend?

"...............Can't explain how excited I am to see the Argos in person once again - I just hope my record at the games extends to 2-0! :)

Good question. Has anyone heard if there will be more extensive celebrations around the dome for this game?

For the 2-0 record....... We're depending on you JRT !

paulwoods13
07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
but still - that was a superb, beautiful catch and maybe a sign of what the guy can do - when he starts dropping passes, I'll be calling for others to get a shot to play instead.

It was a superb catch. I guess what I'd like to know is whether he had to make such a great catch because the ball was badly thrown or because he did not run properly to where the ball was being thrown in the first place. I would bet on the latter. That does not diminish how good that catch was, but given RR's history of accuracy I would bet Inman had to make an adjustment that a more experienced receiver wouldn't have needed to make.

ticatfan
07-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Any pre-game tailgaiting going on?

T-Bone
07-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Good question. Has anyone heard if there will be more extensive celebrations around the dome for this game?

For the 2-0 record....... We're depending on you JRT !
I haven't heard of anything but if anyone wants to meet up for a pint before the game we can meet up at Hoops (http://maps.google.ca/maps?rdu=http://hoopssportsbarandgrill.com/&rdj=google.nyc.c.j_kkD0T9HPGsnp6wHYpO29Bg_34004997 12_3&hl=en&gl=ca&sig=P0N&lumarker=B&bih=827&biw=1280&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Hoops&fb=1&gl=ca&cid=0,0,4539731837828969688&sa=X&ei=pED0T93AKYrR6gHE8qnHBg&ved=0CAoQ5xg) at say 1:00pm. That gives us two hours before the game which should be plenty.

ticatfan
07-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I haven't heard of anything but if anyone wants to meet up for a pint before the game we can meet up at Hoops (http://maps.google.ca/maps?rdu=http://hoopssportsbarandgrill.com/&rdj=google.nyc.c.j_kkD0T9HPGsnp6wHYpO29Bg_34004997 12_3&hl=en&gl=ca&sig=P0N&lumarker=B&bih=827&biw=1280&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Hoops&fb=1&gl=ca&cid=0,0,4539731837828969688&sa=X&ei=pED0T93AKYrR6gHE8qnHBg&ved=0CAoQ5xg) at say 1:00pm. That gives us two hours before the game which should be plenty.

I was talking to Rob M yesterday and we thought it would be a good idea to meet there.

Will
07-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Hoops while located close to the SkyDome isn't very good.

T-Bone
07-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I was talking to Rob M yesterday and we thought it would be a good idea to meet there.
Ok, sounds like a plan. If the tailgate does happen we can see it from the window. Added the information to the first post.

tc23
07-04-2012, 10:33 AM
The Argos are having a tailgate party outside of Gate 11, starting at Noon !!

argotom
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
It's calling for another scorcher of a day, boy with the sun beating down on us is Section 112.
Don't get me wrong I am not complaining with the great weather and more important football is back.
Go Argos.

argomANIA
07-04-2012, 11:28 AM
It's calling for another scorcher of a day, boy with the sun beating down on us is Section 112.
Don't get me wrong I am not complaining with the great weather and more important football is back.
Go Argos.

I have a feeling the dome with be closed.

Also, don't forget it's INDY weekend. Lots of traffic and little parking

T-Bone
07-04-2012, 11:38 AM
The Argos are having a tailgate party outside of Gate 11, starting at Noon !!Where did they post this information?

tc23
07-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Where did they post this information?

Its on the back page of the Toronto Sun Argos Season Preview pullout in todays paper, at the bottom of the page !!

"PRE-GAME PARTY AT NOON, GATE 11.
MEET THE '71 ARGOS. SPECIAL AUTOGRAGH SESSION."

AngeloV
07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Where did they post this information?

Its on the back page of the Toronto Sun Argos Season Preview pullout in todays paper, at the bottom of the page !!

MEET THE '71 ARGOS. SPECIAL AUTOGRAGH SESSION." Jim Barker also mentioned it on his regular Wednesday segment with Mike Richards on TSN radio today.

T-Bone
07-04-2012, 12:52 PM

MEET THE '71 ARGOS. SPECIAL AUTOGRAGH SESSION."
Thanks. You would think they would put that info on the site as well.

Mulder
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks. You would think they would put that info on the site as well.

They did.

Fan Poll
What are you most excited about for the Home Opener?
The '71 Argonauts Team
Pre-game Party @ Gate 11
Rocking My New Reebok Argos Jersey
Watching The Boys In Action

T-Bone
07-04-2012, 04:11 PM
They did.

Fan Poll
What are you most excited about for the Home Opener?
The '71 Argonauts Team
Pre-game Party @ Gate 11
Rocking My New Reebok Argos Jersey
Watching The Boys In Action
Now they did, check it out. ARGOS READY TO HOST STAMPEDERS IN 2012 HOME OPENER (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-ready-to-host-stampeders-in-2012-home-opener)

Forget Hoops then, "$5 beer specials." See you at noon at Gate 11.

Fungi
07-04-2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.cfl.ca/article/despite-loss-ray-brings-sense-of-calm-to-argos-huddle
Despite loss, Ray brings sense of calm to Argos' huddle
It’s not easy to convince any sports fan, let alone one from Toronto, to find comfort in losing. But with Saturday’s 19-15 loss at Commonwealth Stadium, Argos fans should try to do just that.

The reality is this: one dropped pass in the end zone, two missed chip shots, and a holding penalty stood in the way of an Argos win. All of those are correctable issues, including the biggest one of all – team discipline.

“It came down to a couple plays in the red zone where we weren’t able to make one play, and another one got called back,” first-year Head Coach Scott Milanovich told reporters after Saturday’s game. “In a close game like this when you’re on the road, you’ve got to make those plays, and we weren’t able to do that today.”

Considering that the Argos were flagged 18 times for a total of 118 yards, it seems remarkable that they out-gained the Eskimos on offence by a net of 57 yards. Actually, it’s remarkable they even made a game out of it.
This guy has a positive attitude.

Win or lose though, there’s one thing we can take from Saturday’s game: With Ray under centre, you know you have a chance to win every game, no matter what else does or doesn’t go your way. And that’s something Argos fans need to enjoy every second of, because it’s been a rarity in Toronto.
I'll second that.

Starting next Saturday with their home opener against the Calgary Stampeders, Argos fans will get a chance to show the same kind of endearment. He’s all yours now, Argos fans – don’t take him for granted.
Lets just let them play. It was still a good game last week.
Despite all the ticat fans on this forum, it's still almost becoming positive.

argolio
07-05-2012, 12:10 AM
It was a superb catch. I guess what I'd like to know is whether he had to make such a great catch because the ball was badly thrown or because he did not run properly to where the ball was being thrown in the first place. I would bet on the latter. That does not diminish how good that catch was, but given RR's history of accuracy I would bet Inman had to make an adjustment that a more experienced receiver wouldn't have needed to make.Have to go with great catch over not running the route properly. Looked to me from the replay like the ball got away from Ray, causing the throw to sail a bit.

What made the catch even better was that Inman jumped a bit early, so he had to catch it on his way down.

1argoholic
07-05-2012, 12:12 AM
You can be positive but I'm worried about Sat. I know Calgary hasn't done so well in TO lately and I hope the trend continues. I just worry about correcting the mistakes. I hope we don't have too many rookies who will continue to make various mistakes.
Time will tell and I'm really hoping to see improvement every week. I hate this game in our house. I'll be in shite in no time for commenting on any bad Argo plays. My wife is as big of a Stamps fan as I am an Argo one. She sits quietly and watches, I don't. haha. I'll have to crack my first pop at 11am.

ticatfan
07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Now they did, check it out. ARGOS READY TO HOST STAMPEDERS IN 2012 HOME OPENER (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-ready-to-host-stampeders-in-2012-home-opener)

Forget Hoops then, "$5 beer specials." See you at noon at Gate 11.

I will mention it to Rob at noon today and the other boys. Cheers!

T-Bone
07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I am a CFL Fan, TC is my initials of my name !!
Fair enough. (http://forums.cfl.ca/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=29361)

And

Depth Chart (http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/pdf/en/depth/2012/2012_RegSeasonGame02_July7_CGY071124.pdf)

Wobbler
07-06-2012, 05:45 PM
+ Pottinger (from injured)
+ Simmons (from PR)
+ C Williams (from PR)

- Payton (to injured)
- Desriveaux (to PR)
- Riggs (to PR)

I hope Williams dresses for the game. After reading articles like this (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/storm/article1237792.ece) talking about how badly his former team is missing him, I'd like to see what he can do. I wonder whether someone might sign Riggs from our PR.

Nob
07-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Am I the only one wondering why they're not dressing more DB's? Last week they had an injury in the secondary and used the one backup they had.

I know that alot of the LB's are converted DB's, but I think that they need more there. Plus you can get DB's to play on specials.

Just my 2 cents worth.

paulwoods13
07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Am I the only one wondering why they're not dressing more DB's? Last week they had an injury in the secondary and used the one backup they had.

I know that alot of the LB's are converted DB's, but I think that they need more there. Plus you can get DB's to play on specials.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It's somewhat surprising, but at least two, maybe three of the LBs can move into the secondary if needed. and all of the LBs are good on ST. I'd love to know the health status of McCollough.

They need to sit three imports and one NIP off that depth chart. I would bet Jones (the o-lineman, not the LB) is the NIP who sits. Imports who sit will, I think, be Williams, one of Mann/Inman, and one of Huntley/Cohen. However, if last week is any indication, the depth chart may not be the best place to look to make roster predictions. Payton wasn't even on the chart last week but he was dressed.

KCargosfan
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
OVA should be happy Watt and Inman are starting and Mann is not.

I'm hoping Missouri product Jasper Simmons can perform well.

DanTheFan
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Anybody know off hand how early the gates open before Argos games? I couldn't find it on the Rogers Centre site, but for some reason I remember it being only 30 minutes prior to the start of the game.

tc23
07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Anybody know off hand how early the gates open before Argos games? I couldn't find it on the Rogers Centre site, but for some reason I remember it being only 30 minutes prior to the start of the game.

SEASON TICKET INSIDER – GAMEDAY EDITION

Saturday July 7, 2012 marks the beginning of one of the most exciting home schedules the Argonauts have seen in their 139 year history. With new jerseys, a new head coach, and a new quarterback, the Double Blue are primed to deliver more firepower than we’ve seen in recent memory as they journey towards the ultimate prize at home in November.

For each home game, as a season ticket holder, you will receive this season ticket insider providing some key information to help you plan and get prepared for the game ahead. We hope this added communication helps make your gameday as great as possible.

Game Details

******Gates Open: 2:00pm*********
Kickoff: 3:07pm
Traffic Alerts:If you are arriving from the West of the city, avoid Lakeshore Boulevard from Parkside to British Columbia Drive. Lakeshore is closed in both directions for the weekend’s Indy Car Race and we expect large backups for those taking that route. Please plan accordingly.

Tailgate Party:
Begins at 12:00pm and will run at GATE 11 until 4:00pm. It will be fully licensed, so come out early to take in the pregame festivities!

See You on the Field:
There WILL be a full See You on the Field after the game is over, where you may come onto the field and meet your favourite players and cheerleaders. Make your way to the aisles in the 100 Level after the final whistle, and 15 minutes after the game, fans will be allowed on the field.

Happening at the game:
Be sure to watch our friends from theYork Bucs Minor Football Association as they take to the field in a pregame scrimmage as well as line our home fan tunnel as our boys in Double Blue take their home field for the first time in 2012! We are proud to have the Bucs on board for another year, they’ve been a strong partner in past years and we look forward to more years of helping celebrate minor football with strong organizations like theirs.

Once the game begins, Argonauts fans will finally get to see their heroes in Double Blue play live as they take on the Calgary Stampeders in the2012 Home Opener, presented byScotiabank! QBRicky Ray will be at the helm of the offence in front of Toronto fans as a member of the Argonauts for the first time in regular season action, and WR/KRChad Owens will try to repeat his heroics from CFL Week 1 when he became the third player in league history to record 100 yards in three different categories in the same game. The Argos’ powerful defence allowed just 19 points last week, fewer than any other team in the East, and a repeat performance this week would help vault the team into sole possession of first place in the division.
‘Heroes’ will be the theme of the afternoon as the club will honour members of theDepartment of National Defence, War Veterans, and localPolice, Fire and Emergency Medical Services personnel. Some Argos players have a special connection with the day’s theme including LB Robert McCune who served in the U.S. military and National Guard before playing football, andAndre Durie who will be part of a special on-field, pre-game presentation as the recipient of the 2011Jake Gaudaur Veterans’ Award.
The Argonauts will also recognize some of the team’s past football heroes this week. As part of the TSN Documentary series, Engraved on a Nation, the1971 team is being chronicled in “Mavericks: The Story of the 1971 Argos” and 16 members of the teamthat captured the hearts and imagination of the entire city with names likeJoe Theismann,Dick Thornton,Jim Stillwagon andLeo Cahill will be in attendance at the game. The team will participate in a special pre-game autograph session atGate 10 starting at1:30 p.m., Joe Theismann will throw out a ceremonial ‘first pass’ pre-game, and the entire group will be recognized during a special on-field halftime presentation.
Don’t Forget
- If you haven’t picked up your Season Ticket Gift, please bring the coupon in your season ticket booklet to section 117 to grab your replica jersey T-Shirts. You cannot pick up the gift without your voucher, so make sure you have it!
- Fans are then invited to join Argos players and Cheerleaders at the Official Post-Game Party atShoeless Joe’s Sports Grillat 276 King Street West, for special food and drink deals!
- Remember you get special discounts on additional seats for the game, you can buy them at the box office, or at the customer service window at Gate 9A
Above all, enjoy the game!

Argonauts Client Services

AngeloV
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
OVA should be happy Watt and Inman are starting and Mann is not.

I liked what I saw from Simmons towards the end of last season. Glad he might get an opportunity.

KCargosfan
07-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I liked what I saw from Simmons towards the end of last season. Glad he might get an opportunity.

Agreed. Btw -- you nailed the fact Watt would start. AV 1, OVA 0, haha.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 04:04 AM
However, if last week is any indication, the depth chart may not be the best place to look to make roster predictions. Payton wasn't even on the chart last week but he was dressed.
Indeed. I just noticed that the PDF and text versions of today's depth chart are different; the latter lists both T. Black and E. Kuale twice. I'm pretty sure that the duplicates are supposed to be Pottinger and Simmons, as indicated in the believable-looking PDF version, but there are some ongoing quality control issues on the site.

I still expect to see both Mann and Inman play, and vote for Jones, Williams, Summers, and Cohen as the odd men out. Apparently we're more committed to Watt as a starter than I expected.

argofandave
07-07-2012, 09:00 AM
The gates are usually opened 1 hour before kickoff.

tc23
07-07-2012, 09:42 AM
The gates are usually opened 1 hour before kickoff.

Yup. Its in the above email fron the Argos.

Game Details

******Gates Open: 2:00pm*********
Kickoff: 3:07pm
Traffic Alerts:If you are arriving from the West of the city, avoid Lakeshore Boulevard from Parkside to British Columbia Drive. Lakeshore is closed in both directions for the weekend’s Indy Car Race and we expect large backups for those taking that route. Please plan accordingly.

Tailgate Party:
Begins at 12:00pm and will run at GATE 11 until 4:00pm. It will be fully licensed, so come out early to take in the pregame festivities!

argotom
07-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Let's hope there is close to 30k at the game.
And there is nothing like an exciting offensive game and possibly a win to bring most of the bandwagon jumpers back.
Just like that great game in BC last night.

Hollaway
07-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Hope the Argos take less penalties, execute better on offence and pull out a win, I know it's early in the season but you don't want go to 0-2.

1argoholic
07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Well we're about 40 minutes or so away and I hope we can hang tough and somehow pull out a win over a very solid Stamps team. I think we have plenty of growing to do but hopefully we don't have to wait to long for this team to mesh. I fully expect this to be a tough game to win but hope we can pull it out.

jerrym
07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Note to opponents. Go ahead - get Cory Boyd angry.

294life
07-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Tate goes down. ouch. In comes Glenn.

argo cheerleaders wearing the 100th grey cup logo on their behinds. nice.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Suitor and Cuthbert were pretty hard on Inman for the interception; that looked like it would have been a tough catch to me. I'd put that play at 50% bad luck, 25% bad throw, 25% bad catch.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Mann, Kackert, Huntley, and Parenteau aren't dressed. Let's see... that makes me 0/4. I will take some solace in the fact that Chandler Williams is dressed, but clearly my predictions aren't worth much!

jerrym
07-07-2012, 03:58 PM
The one shot I got of the of the crowd on tv it looked kind of sparse. How's the attendance?

294life
07-07-2012, 04:03 PM
beauty right there! Ray on the money

Pref just squeaks one through.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Note to self: stop suggesting that Summers shouldn't dress. All he does is get sacks.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 04:36 PM
My favourite stat of the 1st half: 0 punts.

294life
07-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Cory Boyd would make a good Mike Tyson impersonator.

jerrym
07-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Durie is starting to look like a top receiver.

294life
07-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Joe Theismann. awesome.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Joe Theismann. awesome.
It would be awesome if he would shut up so we could enjoy the game.

294life
07-07-2012, 05:11 PM
he was the best paid player at 50 000 in 1971? and the argos out bid the nfl? man times have changed.

i enjoyed joe's commenting.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Nice play by Watt: he got an important first down by making a man miss.

...and another first down, but much less impressive.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Apparently Cuthbert and Suitor didn't notice that this was our first punt of the game. I find that noteworthy.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Timely INT - no complaints here.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Huh. A -11 point play! You don't see that very often.

294life
07-07-2012, 05:37 PM
argos need to score here. preferably keep the game out of pref's foot.

there.......just like I said.

Nob
07-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Prefontaine is not impressing me. That punt needed to go to the short side, NOT down the middle. It made it too easy for Taylor to get to the open wide side.

Don't even get me started on the missed field goal.

294life
07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
looks like it's all coming down to pref after all: Good!!!! Nice win boatmen.

Nob
07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
I guess Pre giveth, and he taketh.

jerrym
07-07-2012, 06:06 PM
The excitement is back in Argoland! What a game! First place!

1argoholic
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM
F#$@%^#$%@%K! WTF!! What a crazy A$$ed game. Funny how my wife said this morning that it'll come down to a last second field goal.
Well we obviously don't have as good coverage teams on missed field goals. Plus I'm drunk as it's even harder to type with one finger. It should not have been this close.
I said that both TO and Calgary were the smartest teams having experienced backups and that proved true.
How may at the game because it looked horrible and sounded dead.

hugoagogo
07-07-2012, 06:25 PM
20,682 was the announced attendance.

1argoholic
07-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Hugo how long have you lived in Victoria? I LOVE Vic city as locals call it. Didn't it seem DEAD watching on the tube?

CptArcher
07-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Great game.

Must admit I loved every second I spent chewing out Joe Theismann in the endzone next to the players' entrance tunnel, for his comments regarding Ricky Williams and smoking grass.

Wobbler
07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Theismann isn't very broadcast-savvy for someone who... is employed as a colour guy! The way he blah-blah-blahed about Leo Cahill during and after Inman's 36 yard reception was particularly galling.

1argoholic
07-07-2012, 07:36 PM
He may have been an Argo but he's still a F@#K stick.

ArgoGabe22
07-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Patrick Watkins won't be on the PR when McCollough is healthy or at least should not be.

I think we need some more fan education videos that there is a difference between signals to increase the fan noise and to decrease it. Fans aren't supposed to cheer when we have the ball, twice on the 1st and inches on the goal-line and on the last FG of the game. Cory Boyd and Marcus Ball both waved their hands down not up.

1argoholic
07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
What we need is more fans and actual noise. Can you say DEAD MEAT!!

ArgoGabe22
07-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Timely INT - no complaints here.

If I remember when Jasper played last season he made almost the exact play today.

CptArcher
07-07-2012, 08:00 PM
The crowd was better today than for all games last year save the Saskatchewan game. Looked like there were actually 20,000 in there, unlike last year when only 2 rows of endzone had any people in them at all. Also made noise at key times in the game. It's gotta get better but it's an improvement.

DanTheFan
07-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah the crowd was able to get into the game pretty good, but can certainly improve. The Argos' side was certainly packed at least, though I expected the attendance to be maybe 2000 or so higher. Glad they pulled off the win, but it was sure painful watching Taylor make those huge gains on special teams.

Sat near some of the Argo player's family. One of Prefontaine's little boys had some pretty cool dance moves. Adorable!

This game leaves me with one burning question: Triple or Nothing? My brother told me they were probably called Double or Nothing before the chick joined.

Deerkeeper
07-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Never in doubt, was it fellas. I was really great to see some exciting football played in the stadium formerly known as Skydome for a change. I know a lot of people are disappointed with the attendance, but I thought that's what you could expect considering the last few seasons. That, plus the fact that some sort of car race is going on as well and there are a lot of streets closed downtown. I know that's an old excuse, but I do believe it is relevant. More games like this however, and that should correct that situation

I know it's still early in the season, but could this be the "bonding" game; the one big win that brings this team together as a cohesive unit. There are still things to address (defending special teams is one), but I never considered the Stamps a weakened team with Glenn in as QB after Tate went down; in fact I was rather worried. So having a big win over a good team like the Stamps has got to do a lot for the overall team confidence.

gilthethrill
07-08-2012, 12:12 AM
I saw JY playing special teams, but Simmons was at safety for his pic. Was JY playing D? TSN does not really go into lineup changes etc.

Big game next Saturday night in Hamilton followed by a short turn around hosting Winnnipeg. Great opportunity to get some space between those division rivals.

RR is the real deal...Durie should be getting more press than $$ Fantusz.

Mulder
07-08-2012, 12:44 AM
He may have been an Argo but he's still a F@#K stick.

dude, stop swearing. Even though you are hiding it. It's really not appropriate. See the forums rules.

D-Gap-Willie
07-08-2012, 12:57 AM
A good win ... and importantly an exciting, entertaining win for the fans. I for one, amd glad that the exhibition pre-season is now over .. yes, it still takes at least four games to mold a team together, especially with large scale changes.
Decent improvement for the O-line, but still a work in progress. Receivers are not as good as RR makes them appear to be. The overall work of the D is improving -- I like most of what I see ( D-line excepted) even though I am not a fan of 'pressure' defence.
... but Special Teams ?? -- I hope that this was a one time bad effort - complete lack of consistency and discipline.
Now a little rest and then intensity prepping for for the Tabbies.

Stevoman
07-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Exciting win! The Argos needed to take advantage of the Stamps losing Tate in this one. A lot of great stuff on offence except for inside the red zone. More TD's please! I too am wondering where Jordan Younger was and also Chad Kackert? I know Riggs was out but was Kackert also not in this one?

ArgoRavi
07-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Exciting win! The Argos needed to take advantage of the Stamps losing Tate in this one. A lot of great stuff on offence except for inside the red zone. More TD's please! I too am wondering where Jordan Younger was and also Chad Kackert? I know Riggs was out but was Kackert also not in this one?

Kackert was one of the scratches. I believe that Riggs has been moved to the PR.

Hollaway
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah the offence clicked for the most part, but just couldn't finish off those pesky Stamps who's special teams kept bringing them back into it, agree Stevoman, we have to do a lot better inside the red zone, penalty wise it was a lot better this week, but special teams almost lost it again.

paulwoods13
07-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I couldn't go to the game because of an evening commitment; was able to watch the first three quarters on TV, then buzzed through the fourth on the PVR last night. A few random observations:

RR is, if anything, even better than I expected. What precision and touch he has on his passes. He was totally locked in a zone all day yesterday, spread the ball around nicely and made no bad reads or bad throws that I could see. If it wasn't for a couple of dropped passes, he would have been close to an 80% completion rate. It's amazing that he had not had a 400-yard game since 2008. I have a feeling we're going to see a few more of those from him in double blue.

Boyd played like a man possessed. His early-game shoving incident with a Stamps defender seemed to fire him up. His legs kept churning and he was a real load -- took two or three guys to tackle him.

Great games by Durie and Inman (apart from the INT, which was entirely his fault IMO). And good games from Barnes (especially on that one huge hit), Owens and Watt. There is no need to rush Mann or Rambo into action, IMO.

The o-line seemed to be better than last week, altho there was still a fair bit of pressure on RR and he had to get rid of the ball in a hurry most of the time. Still room for improvement, but a game with 400 yards passing and 100 yards rushing is indicative of a passing grade for the o-line.

The defence looked solid much of the time, with a few breakdowns here and there. It might have been a different game had Tate stayed healthy, but on the other hand Glenn was a fairly efficient passer so I doubt there was a huge drop-off. I especially liked what I'm saw from Summers, Foley, Ball and Isaac. The secondary has its moments, both good and bad, but looks to be a unit that will get better and better. I'd still like to see McCollough in there but not sure any of the DBs have played themselves out of the lineup at this point.

Funny how we haven't heard much from the "Pre sucks" brigade. He's now hitting on 67% for the season after his six-for-eight performance, and I am sure he will be up around 80% again well before the end of the season.

The cover teams need some serious work. Letting Taylor run for 400-plus yards is shocking. I wonder if they need to go to more substitutions on FG attempts. O-linemen simply can't be expected to help much against fast kick returners.

Super-exciting game overall. Just what Rudge was talking about earlier this year when he said he didn't want to win 12-7, he wanted to win 38-36.

marcwagz
07-08-2012, 10:51 AM
pre did miss a very close field goal that lead to a calgary td return...

Will
07-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Between his first two games, #15 is at a 74.7% completion rate and that's off nearly 40 pass attempts on average so far. All we always heard about him is that it's the "long ball, long ball" with him, but he utilized the short passing game to perfection yesterday. I was also impressed with the YAC that the Argos were getting and it wasn't necessarily always easy YAC. Say what you will about Chad Owens skills as a receiver he does have 13 catches and 188 yards over two games. It looks like Ray might have himself a descent system here, Owens, Durie and Boyd will be great on short to intermediate passes while Inman, Barnes and Watt can become his deep threat.

Again, I must mention Chandler Williams! Here was Calgary probably thinking that we'll just kick the ball to the second Toronto returner and we can pin them deep. He proved them wrong and his return made me feel very confident that Ray could move the ball down to field goal range.

paulwoods13
07-08-2012, 11:15 AM
pre did miss a very close field goal that lead to a calgary td return...

Yes he did. In fact, he has missed four FGs in 12 attempts so far this year. So what is your point -- that he should be cut? That he is the only kicker to ever miss a FG and have it returned for a TD? He made six FGs, including the game-winner with no time on the clock. That's a pretty good day by any standards.

amchow78
07-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I was mightily impressed with Ricky Ray as our new starting QB! Just seeing a Qb like him locate those lead passes with outstanding accuracy to his receivers was quite a novelty in contrast to the other QB's we've had over the last couple years! A thing of beauty!

Calgary's last TD pass with over a minute remaining .... I was saying to everyone at the time that Calgary went for the score too early, especially when they had the ball at the Argos' 25 yard line! The long bomb TD pass was unnecessary, & an example of poor time management skills! I also compared that play to the NY Giants' final TD scored in this year's Superbowl! You then give your opponents ample time to maintain their offensive possession, & march down the field for a score!

I had a fun afternoon at the game yesterday! Great seeing some familiar faces again at the home opener ... & it was also a pleasure inviting a friend of mine from France to his very first CFL game! Whenever the Argos notched a 1st down, he really loved Mulder's passionate "first down" signals!

P.S.: You got on my case at the tailgate party for not posting on ArgoFans, version 2.0 ... well there you go, now leave me alone! ;)

ArgoRavi
07-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Between his first two games, #15 is at a 74.7% completion rate and that's off nearly 40 pass attempts on average so far. All we always heard about him is that it's the "long ball, long ball" with him, but he utilized the short passing game to perfection yesterday. I was also impressed with the YAC that the Argos were getting and it wasn't necessarily always easy YAC. Say what you will about Chad Owens skills as a receiver he does have 13 catches and 188 yards over two games. It looks like Ray might have himself a descent system here, Owens, Durie and Boyd will be great on short to intermediate passes while Inman, Barnes and Watt can become his deep threat.

I saw someone on Facebook criticize Owens' receiving skills and I wondered if they had actually watched the first two games. Chad Rempel also made a key catch in the fourth quarter yesterday. BTW, it is great to see Spencer Watt starting and being used fairly extensively as some of us predicted he would prior to the season. There was some concern on here that Watt wouldn't play much and that Durie would not be used much and I would think that that concern should be allayed by now.

Again, I must mention Chandler Williams! Here was Calgary probably thinking that we'll just kick the ball to the second Toronto returner and we can pin them deep. He proved them wrong and his return made me feel very confident that Ray could move the ball down to field goal range.

Williams was illegally tripped on that final return - which the officials did not catch - or he might have gone much further.

Wobbler
07-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know the health status(es) of Mann, McCollough, and Huntley? Are we sitting them by choice or because they are truly still <100%?

ArgoRavi
07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know the health status(es) of Mann, McCollough, and Huntley? Are we sitting them by choice or because they are truly still <100%?

I don't have any inside information but I suspect that it is a combination of the two factors that you have mentioned. I don't believe that any of them are quite at 100% but their replacements have performed well enough that there isn't any rush to get them back into the lineup either.

1argoholic
07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
To me the biggest issue this week was our cover teams. Taylor was running wild last night.

argotom
07-08-2012, 02:47 PM
First chance to comment about the game yesterday.
I was there and albeit a small crowd it was loud nevertheless.
A super entertaining game, just like the night before with the other thriller Hamilton-BC.
Bottom line, we finally have ourselves a QB, as Ray's delivery was awesome with a quick release and preceision like I have not seen in an Argo QB since Doug Flutie.

1argoholic
07-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Ray is sweet to watch. I always think of him dropping those nice deep balls in but he showed a cannon on a few hard passes.

argotom
07-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Yes agreed both the touch passing, accuracy and when needed the cannon like arm.

marcwagz
07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes he did. In fact, he has missed four FGs in 12 attempts so far this year. So what is your point -- that he should be cut? That he is the only kicker to ever miss a FG and have it returned for a TD? He made six FGs, including the game-winner with no time on the clock. That's a pretty good day by any standards.
we need a new kicker for sure
i dont know if I'll trust pre as the season goes on unless he shows me wrong

Wobbler
07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
The cover teams need some serious work. Letting Taylor run for 400-plus yards is shocking. I wonder if they need to go to more substitutions on FG attempts. O-linemen simply can't be expected to help much against fast kick returners.
I think we're seeing the effects of Bryan Crawford's retirement. I'm not sure who is currently organizing the cover team, but they don't appear to be doing as good a job as Crawford did in the past (never mind his gift for running fakes). On FG attempts I'd at least like to see a good tackler like JJ in the backfield. I wasn't paying attention to our personnel on that play, but I don't think he was in.

Great game aside from the fixable kick cover issues. As much as I'd like to see Mann evaluated, I now agree that our current receiving corps looks strong and that it's probably best to let them keep developing chemistry.

paulwoods13
07-08-2012, 04:09 PM
we need a new kicker for sure
i dont know if I'll trust pre as the season goes on unless he shows me wrong

I guess you'll find out, because there is no way a new kicker is coming in any time soon. Milanovich told reporters that he told Pre last week there is no other kicker he would rather have. Couldn't have said it better mysellf.

argotom
07-08-2012, 04:16 PM
As good as Pre is, his punting was also suspect.
On at least one occasion there was a line drive punt no hang time which allowed Taylor a return back.

paulwoods13
07-08-2012, 04:24 PM
As good as Pre is, his punting was also suspect.
On at least one occasion there was a line drive punt no hang time which allowed Taylor a return back.

He punted only twice: once with a long return and once with a short return. Direction matters more than hangtime on the wide CFL field, but regardless, it's worth keeping in mind that there are 12 guys on the field. Long punt returns are not solely the responsibility of the kicker.

Will
07-08-2012, 05:52 PM
He punted only twice: once with a long return and once with a short return. Direction matters more than hangtime on the wide CFL field, but regardless, it's worth keeping in mind that there are 12 guys on the field. Long punt returns are not solely the responsibility of the kicker.

Neither is I suppose allowing a 125-yard missed FG return.

ArgoRavi
07-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Neither is I suppose allowing a 125-yard missed FG return.

That is true although FG returns are more difficult to defend against because of all of the offensive linemen on the field so the onus is even greater on the kicker to make the kick, especially when it is a 36 yarder.

argonaut11xx
07-08-2012, 09:37 PM
That is true although FG returns are more difficult to defend against because of all of the offensive linemen on the field so the onus is even greater on the kicker to make the kick, especially when it is a 36 yarder.
The BEST way to defend against MISSED F/G ..is for the kicker to actually be sucessuful in the F/G attempt...

Noel was a minus 7 on that F/G attempt...i liked his hit earlier...but HONESTLY...just hit the field goals, get decent punts, and the Argo's are much better than having the "kicker" make a once every five years...TSN tackle...

I'd take a 2-0 record without the fancy tackle v Calgary...instead of a crappy kicking game v Edmonton, and a fancy tackle and an average kicking game v Calgary

Midnight Blue
07-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Great game! Caught it on tape-delay. Exciting? The announcers weren't kiddin' when they said you shouldn't go to the kitchen for a snack, or you might miss a game-changing play ... at least three times (seriously) I was going to get another beer and had to turn around mid-stride, to not miss the action! Never mind the pause-button; I like to watch even a tape-delay game at full speed! And for all of those who may be concerned, no, my drinking was not compromised!

Nice to have a steady Quarterback, although I was hoping Cleo Lemon and Steven Jyles would work out last year, and was rooting for them.

The game has been dissected brilliantly by commenters above, but I'd just like to add, that it is a luxury to have a clutch kicker like Prefontaine, when the Grey Cup game is on the line, later this year.

Cheers !

argonaut11xx
07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
but I'd just like to add, that it is a luxury to have a clutch kicker like Prefontaine,

i agree NOEL did get that end of game F/G..but if he didnt miss the earlier chip shot (that got returned for 7 pts) ....well....i'll just say... "Luxury, and Noel" dont really mix together so well.....

Im just Happy that Ricky won the game for the ARGO's...and we finally have a REAL QB..the first REAL QB since Flutie....

400plus yard...WOW...

1argoholic
07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Yah but how about Jyles today. hahahahahaha. Good job Tillman. Midnight you can fix your problem. Just get another tv for your kitchen like we have or get a fridge for beside your couch. haha.

Midnight Blue
07-08-2012, 10:23 PM
i agree NOEL did get that end of game F/G..but if he didnt miss the earlier chip shot (that got returned for 7 pts) ....well....i'll just say... "Luxury, and Noel" dont really mix together so well.....

Im just Happy that Ricky won the game for the ARGO's...and we finally have a REAL QB..the first REAL QB since Flutie....

400plus yard...WOW...

It was nice to see Cory Boyd doing what he does best.

As for Noel Prefontaine; he inspires the team. Sure, I'd love to see Justin Medlock still here, but he is not.

Actually, I've always thought that kicking (kick-offs/field-goals/punts) are such an important part of the Canadian Game, that a team should always have two serious kickers. But usually that's just dreaming, due to import/financial realities. But still. I'd want Noel Prefontaine on the field, and hope he will be, when we need to drive a spike into the heart of the opposing team, in this year's Grey Gup Game.

Cheers !

Midnight Blue
07-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Yah but how about Jyles today. hahahahahaha. Good job Tillman. Midnight you can fix your problem. Just get another tv for your kitchen like we have or get a fridge for beside your couch. haha.

Yeah, I felt sorry for Edmonton. Both Jyles and Kerry Joseph tried, but it didn't happen. I want all CFL teams to be competitive; makes the game, and the league better. Though I've been reading most of the recent threads on this forum, throughout the EDM-SSK game, I must admit, and probably missed half of the EDM-SSK game.

As for your fridge/tv suggestion, I just counted off seven paces from the living room to the kitchen, and while I can hear all the plays and the action, I really like to see it! Perhaps a quiet "stealth-fridge"; also known as a cooler. Mind you, being a Hoser (I want extremely ice-cold beer), and a Conservative (I expect perfection), I would probably have to fill my couch-side cooler with regular ice/water, and dry ice. Would be explosive if not handled properly, so I'll have to wear goggles. And a jock-strap. But it might work. This is, after all Football !

Ka' Pla !

argotom
07-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Hey don't get me wrong I love Pre, think he is truly a football player first and a FG/P second.
Having said that and I know it's very early, but his skills based on these 2 games appear to be declining and don't forget he is 38.

argolio
07-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Paul McCallum is 41. He's not the athlete Pre is, and McCallum seems to be doing fine.

argotom
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Paul McCallum is 41. He's not the athlete Pre is, and McCallum seems to be doing fine.

I know there is always an exception to the rule.
I hope we are all wrong about questioning Pre and maybe he will go on a tear?
However, there is no comparison as McCallum set a FG percentage record last year and is on his way again.

argolio
07-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Just like any other player, if Pre's performance falls, and management feels there is someone better out there, he will be replaced.

Will
07-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Argos also held onto the ball for 36:12 yesterday! Not too often that we've been able to say that in the past few years have we? Also, less than 300 total yards surrendered and more than 500 by the Argos. It's a wonder it was so close.

Just like any other player, if Pre's performance falls, and management feels there is someone better out there, he will be replaced.

Key statement here. The Argos haven't been afraid to do it in the past, they cut Andrusyshyn in 1982 and replaced Hank Ilesic (at least as PK) with Chomyc in 1985.

argolio
07-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Argos also held onto the ball for 36:12 yesterday! Not too often that we've been able to say that in the past few years have we? Also, less than 300 total yards surrendered and more than 500 by the Argos. It's a wonder it was so close.We would have won by a fair margin (maybe a big one) without the return TDs & yards, which just goes to show how football has so many variables beyond total offense and defense.

Will
07-08-2012, 11:44 PM
We would have won by a fair margin (maybe a big one) without the return TDs & yards, which just goes to show how football has so many variables beyond total offense and defense.

Yep, especially in the CFL!
I say the D was responsible for 21 out of the 36 points Calgary scored yesterday, although the Lewis TD that made it 36-36 was after a punt return which put the D in a tough position.

zontar
07-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Congrats. Great game. Fun show for fans, TV audience and media scrutineers.

paulwoods13
07-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I hope we are all wrong about questioning Pre and maybe he will go on a tear?

For the record, "we" are not "all" questioning Pre. Some are, some aren't.

Hollaway
07-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Not a big fan of Pre, but he had a much better game, hope he comes around.

ArgoRavi
07-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Pre said after the game that he has been around the 75% mark in FG accuracy throughout his career and that is where he was at on Saturday. Twenty or even ten years ago, that would be acceptable but kickers have upped the ante in recent years in the CFL to the point where I would say that 80% is the absolute minimum expectation for placekickers. If your kicker is performing at less than 80%, you are at a disadvantage. In all fairness to Pre, he has raised his accuracy to over 80% since he was traded to Edmonton and that is where he needs to continue to be with the Argos.

argonaut11xx
07-09-2012, 12:30 PM
I think Noel had a better game, and i really love his tenacity, .... i hope he does better....

all i want is the argo's to win...every week...yea thats alot to ask...but losing sucks

gilthethrill
07-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Pre said after the game that he has been around the 75% mark in FG accuracy throughout his career and that is where he was at on Saturday. Twenty or even ten years ago, that would be acceptable but kickers have upped the ante in recent years in the CFL to the point where I would say that 80% is the absolute minimum expectation for placekickers. If your kicker is performing at less than 80%, you are at a disadvantage. In all fairness to Pre, he has raised his accuracy to over 80% since he was traded to Edmonton and that is where he needs to continue to be with the Argos.

In fairness to Pre, early in his career he was a punter only because he really struggled with his place kicking, which is why his % is not higher than 75%. If he does have a fault, it seems he misses the "easy" ones moreso than the long attempts.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Well said.

While his performance against Edmonton was unacceptable, he was better against Calgary, although still not good enough in my opinion for the Argos to contend for a championship. The missed field goal return for a touchdown REALLY hurt, almost to the point of costing us the game. The punt return was also painful. I know there is a whole team out there, but the play starts with Pre, and his punt was nowhere near the coverage and gave the returner an open field to run.

Will
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Amongst all this debate is the little tidbit that Prefontaine actually leads all kickers in points with 30 through two weeks.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Amongst all this debate is the little tidbit that Prefontaine actually leads all kickers in points with 30 through two weeks.
Seems pretty circumstantial.

If that is true, it's not a good stat for the Argos.

It's actually a bad sign for your team that you're relying on the kicker for points and not scoring touchdowns.

Will
07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Your right about that right now--12 FG ATT to 4 XP isn't a good thing. The better offenses tend to have roughly a 1:1 ratio in that department.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8