PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Toronto Argonauts @ Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Will
07-17-2023, 08:48 AM
It goes without saying that we do not want Hamilton to be the team to hand the Argos their first loss.

Discipline will be key, the Argos didn't acquit themselves well in that department on Friday and we know TOR-HAM games can be chippy.

ArgoRavi
07-17-2023, 11:20 AM
It goes without saying that we do not want Hamilton to be the team to hand the Argos their first loss.

Discipline will be key, the Argos didn't acquit themselves well in that department on Friday and we know TOR-HAM games can be chippy.

Back in 1983, when the Argos were last 4-0, it was indeed the Ticats who handed them their first loss in a game in Toronto. The Argos then lost their next game in Winnipeg before coming from behind to beat Ottawa with Terry Greer having a record-setting night. They never looked back after that and one of the best moments of that season was a 50-16 thrashing of the Ticats at Ivor Wynne in September.

AngeloV
07-17-2023, 11:23 AM
Looking so forward to this. My first live game in Hamilton since 2015.

Scooter McCray
07-17-2023, 12:37 PM
When have Argos last started a season 5-0? I believe franchise record is 6-0, not sure when that happened either.

paulwoods13
07-17-2023, 02:03 PM
Last 5-0 start was in 1960.

Scooter McCray
07-17-2023, 02:42 PM
Last 5-0 start was in 1960.Let's hope they keep making history. If they can get their penalty situation under control they have a good chance to keep it rolling. However against Hamilton in Hamilton the refereeing will be more home slanted. They have to be more disciplined. Keep penalties to 6 instead of 15 and they will win.

ArgoGabe22
07-17-2023, 04:42 PM
Shiltz moved to the 6 game injured list

Argo57
07-17-2023, 04:43 PM
Argos need to stay focused and take care of business Friday night.

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/17/hamilton-tiger-cats-to-start-qb-taylor-powell-vs-toronto-argonauts/

gilthethrill
07-17-2023, 05:34 PM
Argos need to stay focused and take care of business Friday night.

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/17/hamilton-tiger-cats-to-start-qb-taylor-powell-vs-toronto-argonauts/

Reminiscent of last seasons Labour Day Classic brought to you by Marks. Cats started QB Jamie Newman and there was apprehension that he would lead Hamilton to victory. Didn’t happen. Powell will get beaten down and embarrassed ala Billy Dicken and Todd Bankhead.

Argo57
07-17-2023, 06:00 PM
Reminiscent of last seasons Labour Day Classic brought to you by Marks. Cats started QB Jamie Newman and there was apprehension that he would lead Hamilton to victory. Didn’t happen. Powell will get beaten down and embarrassed ala Billy Dicken and Todd Bankhead.

Hope you're correct, after watching the Ottawa-Winnipeg game on the weekend you never know.

OV Argo
07-17-2023, 06:32 PM

Ha, ha, ha - thanks for reminding me of that Dickhead duo.

OV Argo
07-17-2023, 07:33 PM
Last 5-0 start was in 1960.

Looking at this sched., a 9 & 0 start heading into Labour Day seems quite do-able.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-17-2023, 08:15 PM
Looking at this sched., a 9 & 0 start heading into Labour Day seems quite do-able.

OK let's just simmer down and take it one game at a time. It's still early.

AngeloV
07-17-2023, 11:32 PM

Billy the skid?

Rich
07-18-2023, 01:00 AM
Hope you're correct, after watching the Ottawa-Winnipeg game on the weekend you never know.

Crum really hurt the Bombers with his feet, but Powell’s not as strong carrying the ball, and I’m already starting to feel sorry for the kid.

Rich
07-18-2023, 01:04 AM

As long as Machine Gun Kelly is out there mowing them down, I can’t see who’s going to beat this team. Someone tell me 16-2 is not a realistic possibility.

Argo57
07-18-2023, 07:00 AM
Crum really hurt the Bombers with his feet, but Powell’s not as strong carrying the ball, and I’m already starting to feel sorry for the kid.

Simple point being made was do not underestimate a young inexperienced QB.

Will
07-18-2023, 08:10 AM
As Coach keeps emphasizing, the Argos are 0-0 and looking to go 1-0 for the week.

paulwoods13
07-18-2023, 09:50 AM
Argos have some history of coming out flat against inexperienced QBs. Even last year's game against Newman et al was no gimme. I'm expecting this game to be close.

bluto
07-18-2023, 10:05 AM
As Coach keeps emphasizing, the Argos are 0-0 and looking to go 1-0 for the week.

This is the winning mentality. Be 1-0 and be 2% better every day.

I am just superstitious enough to believe in Murphy's Law. And when people start dreaming about 9-0 starts or 16-2 records - and dreaming of glory is great fun for all fans! - it makes me think that Murphy is going to glance in our direction and some bad shit is about to go down.
When Picket was laying on the field, I was sure that this was it! Other than Kelly, he is our hardest guy to replace, right? Just saying: please stop tempting fate! It's killing me.

EDIT: TiCats Suck.

gilthethrill
07-18-2023, 10:10 AM
Argos have some history of coming out flat against inexperienced QBs. Even last year's game against Newman et al was no gimme. I'm expecting this game to be close.

Newman and the Hamilton offence generated Zero points. That game was never in doubt.

AngeloV
07-18-2023, 10:58 AM
No predictions from me. I really expected the Argos to destroy the Als last week. Great offensive game plan by Jason Maas.

bluto
07-18-2023, 11:22 AM
No predictions from me. I really expected the Argos to destroy the Als last week. Great offensive game plan by Jason Maas.

15 flags aside and we would've, imo.

AngeloV
07-18-2023, 11:54 AM
15 flags aside and we would've, imo.

I disagree. We gave up a lot of yards and struggled on D to get off the field. A lot of those penalties were misconduct penalties.

Rich
07-18-2023, 11:58 AM
Simple point being made was do not underestimate a young inexperienced QB.
Another simple point being made was that young inexperienced QBs are more likely to hurt you with their legs than with their arm, and that Powell is not as good a runner as Crum.

AngeloV
07-18-2023, 12:10 PM
Another simple point being made was that young inexperienced QBs are more likely to hurt you with their legs than with their arm, and that Powell is not as good a runner as Crum.

A good game plan by the OC can take care of inexperience at QB. There are no gimmies.

Argo57
07-18-2023, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the clarification Rich.
Bottom line, take no game for granted.

Argo57
07-18-2023, 06:23 PM

That’s my concern as well Paul, some are expecting a cakewalk but Hamilton always play tough against Toronto.

paulwoods13
07-18-2023, 06:35 PM
Newman and the Hamilton offence generated Zero points. That game was never in doubt.

Argos led by three points in the fourth quarter. One big play by a Hamilton QB could have turned the entire game around. Newman and Morton obviously didn't deliver one, but the outcome was in doubt in my mind until halfway through the fourth.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-18-2023, 07:01 PM

I am just superstitious enough to believe in Murphy's Law. And when people start dreaming about 9-0 starts or 16-2 records - and dreaming of glory is great fun for all fans! - it makes me think that Murphy is going to glance in our direction and some bad shit is about to go down.
When Picket was laying on the field, I was sure that this was it! Other than Kelly, he is our hardest guy to replace, right? Just saying: please stop tempting fate! It's killing me.

Well said.

Argo57
07-18-2023, 07:23 PM

Smart man Bluto.
Respect all of your opponents and take nothing for granted.
There is no such thing as a sure fire win, I remember the overwhelming confidence shown by some fans heading into the second game of the 1986 Eastern Final against Hamilton….enough said.

ArgoRavi
07-18-2023, 09:25 PM
Smart man Bluto.
There is no such thing as a sure fire win, I remember the overwhelming confidence shown by some fans heading into the second game of the 1986 Eastern Final against Hamilton….enough said.

This is professional football and anything can happen. What concerns me more is Hamilton scoring TDs on special teams and/or defence. Remember that this is a team that found a way to win a couple of games in 2021 with David Watford at QB and he didn't do much in either of those games.

AngeloV
07-18-2023, 09:25 PM
Smart man Bluto.

1991 Labour Day game to me is the epitome of losing a "sure fire win". We got blown out 48-24 by an 0-8 team that would finish 3-15 while we went on to win the Grey Cup.

Shatto
07-18-2023, 10:40 PM
Over confidence can be deadly. Remember the Leo Cahill quote before the 2nd game of the 2 game 1969 Eastern playoff against Ottawa---"only an act of God could stop the Argos winning" They were trounced. It was either over confidence or perhaps God was not amused!

Waffle
07-19-2023, 02:36 AM
https://www.cfl.ca/2023/07/17/argos-ticats-injury-reports-orimolade-williams-miss-sun-practice/

(https://www.cfl.ca/2023/07/17/argos-ticats-injury-reports-orimolade-williams-miss-sun-practice/)

bluto
07-19-2023, 09:04 AM
Smart man Bluto.

This is professional football and anything can happen. What concerns me more is Hamilton scoring TDs on special teams and/or defence. Remember that this is a team that found a way to win a couple of games in 2021 with David Watford at QB and he didn't do much in either of those games.

1991 Labour Day game to me is the epitome of losing a "sure fire win". We got blown out 48-24 by an 0-8 team that would finish 3-15 while we went on to win the Grey Cup.

Over confidence can be deadly. Remember the Leo Cahill quote before the 2nd game of the 2 game 1969 Eastern playoff against Ottawa---"only an act of God could stop the Argos winning" They were trounced. It was either over confidence or perhaps God was not amused!

4 consecutive examples illustrating my take on most of our True Double Blues: we've seen the bottom enough times that we never take it for granted when we're on top, and we pretty much have these memories infused into us at the genetic level.

Anyway... the Ticats won't want to be beaten at home by an ascendant Argonaut team that there's a building buzz about. They'll play hard, they'll get all of the calls and there'll be lots of scrums after the whistle. But if I'm putting myself in Steinauer or Condells shoes, I genuinely don't know how I'd go about attacking this Argo defence. Montreal's answer was to do about 40 different screens... We'll see what the Cats come up with.

EDIT: The entire City of Hamilton Sucks

Scooter McCray
07-19-2023, 09:38 AM
Expecting Hamiltown to play tough at home and keep it close. On paper should not be. I expected a larger margin of victory against Montreal as well. I do expect Cameltown to lose however. A rookie QB against the Argonaut defence should not end well. Cameltoe supporters will leave disappointed once again. What is my auto correct doing? Where's the override? Where's the override?

RB957
07-19-2023, 09:47 AM
I think team discipline is going to be a huge factor. The Argos cannot afford to keep taking foolish and needless penalties, and this is even more important now because games against the TiCats, can get very chippy and heated. It will be interesting to see what happens with Chris Edwards, now that he is in black and gold because of his sometimes reckless behaviour. Will he provoke one of our guys to retaliate and do something stupid? I hope not. If the Argos can stay cool, and just play their game, they should win. But as others have noted, these guys are professionals and will give it everything they have to win at home. It should be a great game.

Rich
07-19-2023, 02:26 PM
an ascendant Argonaut team that there's a building buzz about.

The X’s and Argos guys also talked about a building buzz around the Argos but I personally haven’t seen it yet. They mentioned increased coverage on The Fan, TSN Radio and the Toronto Star. Can anyone confirm any evidence of a building buzz around the Argos?

paulwoods13
07-19-2023, 02:26 PM
Costigan and Marion have not practised all week due to injury, and Oakman did not practise today for a "not injury-related" reason. I'm guessing we will see either or both of Brinkman and Barlow back in the lineup for this game.

Shatto
07-19-2023, 05:14 PM
Costigan and Marion have not practised all week due to injury, and Oakman did not practise today for a "not injury-related" reason. I'm guessing we will see either or both of Brinkman and Barlow back in the lineup for this game.

Barlow is more of a DE replacement for DE Costigan but I'd rather see Brinkman in the line up, as the Ti Cats will probably trying running at the Argos and Brinkman is an excellent run stopper..

OV Argo
07-19-2023, 05:41 PM
Barlow is more of a DE replacement for DE Costigan but I'd rather see Brinkman in the line up, as the Ti Cats will probably trying running at the Argos and Brinkman is an excellent run stopper..

Ticats did run with some success last game, and Butler is a decent back (though pretty ordinary IMO), so maybe they will try this game; but rest assured they will give up on the ground game if it's stopped early. Brinkman at DT could help, and again, rather see Cassar - a bigger run stopper MLB type - in over Jones. When is Henoc coming back - are there ever any injury updates on such a good defensive player ?

paulwoods13
07-19-2023, 05:47 PM
Brinkman at DT could help, and again, rather see Cassar - a bigger run stopper MLB type - in over Jones. When is Henoc coming back - are there ever any injury updates on such a good defensive player ?

How closely have you watched Jones? IMO he has been one of our three most consistent defensive players, along with Pickett and Daniel.

As for Muamba, guys on the six are not allowed to practise until after the fifth game. I imagine we will start getting updates next week on him and others who were placed on the six at the start of the season.

Argo57
07-19-2023, 05:56 PM
Ticats did run with some success last game, and Butler is a decent back (though pretty ordinary IMO), so maybe they will try this game; but rest assured they will give up on the ground game if it's stopped early. Brinkman at DT could help, and again, rather see Cassar - a bigger run stopper MLB type - in over Jones. When is Henoc coming back - are there ever any injury updates on such a good defensive player ?

Jones did a great job last year and has continued his good play so far this season, Argos have done a great job in building both quality and depth throughout the lineup and it is already paying dividends.

OV Argo
07-19-2023, 06:10 PM
How closely have you watched Jones? IMO he has been one of our three most consistent defensive players, along with Pickett and Daniel.

As for Muamba, guys on the six are not allowed to practise until after the fifth game. I imagine we will start getting updates next week on him and others who were placed on the six at the start of the season.

Jones seems like a pretty quick & athletic LB and gets to the ball. I like bigger, more natural MLBs in the middle (and a D could play such a guy early to make a statement against an early attempt at a run game and then switch to a smaller, quicker MLB later); bigger, MLB experience guys are less likely to get trucked/run over, and over-run ground attempts between the tackles. BC ended up going with Ben Hladik at MLB - big size LB with very athletic testing #s - similar to Cassar.

What's Jordan Williams' injury status?

Will
07-19-2023, 06:35 PM
The X’s and Argos guys also talked about a building buzz around the Argos but I personally haven’t seen it yet. They mentioned increased coverage on The Fan, TSN Radio and the Toronto Star. Can anyone confirm any evidence of a building buzz around the Argos?

TSN 1050 has been talking about them a bit lately, but I also understand Hayes and his co-host took a shot at Argos attendance today. Chad Kelly has been on the FAN once or twice.

Argo57
07-19-2023, 06:47 PM
TSN 1050 has been talking about them a bit lately, but I also understand Hayes and his co-host took a shot at Argos attendance today. Chad Kelly has been on the FAN once or twice.

I’m shocked Bryan Hayes could stop talking about his golf game long enough to slag the Argos.
This guy is so full of himself it’s not even funny.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-19-2023, 07:22 PM
I’m shocked Bryan Hayes could stop talking about his golf game long enough to slag the Argos.

He has the personality of a wet mop. All he knows is ridicule and that's the only reason anyone knows his name. Just insulting people day after day. That's all he can do

paulwoods13
07-19-2023, 07:44 PM
What's Jordan Williams' injury status?

Has not practised at all this week (or last).

ArgoRavi
07-19-2023, 09:02 PM
He has the personality of a wet mop. All he knows is ridicule and that's the only reason anyone knows his name. Just insulting people day after day. That's all he can do

Sounds like he takes after his uncle (hope that's not too much of a low blow).

There have been a couple of articles in the Toronto Star recently, written by Mark Zwolinski, who seems to be the closest thing to an Argos beat writer that they have. We seem to be seeing marginally more coverage in that publication.

AngeloV
07-19-2023, 10:12 PM

It was actually the other guy (connected to TFC somehow) that took the shot and Hayes just sort of agreed. A couple of knobs anyway.

AngeloV
07-19-2023, 10:14 PM
Sounds like he takes after his uncle (hope that's not too much of a low blow).

Interesting that you would use the word blow (as in up his nose) when talking about his uncle.

Scooter McCray
07-20-2023, 10:27 AM
The X’s and Argos guys also talked about a building buzz around the Argos but I personally haven’t seen it yet. They mentioned increased coverage on The Fan, TSN Radio and the Toronto Star. Can anyone confirm any evidence of a building buzz around the Argos?I think it's just because Kelly and Daniel's both happened to be on TSN 1050 for interviews on the same day. Typically you never have any Argo talk on sports radio in Toronto. They are "the voice of the Argos" and Bell owns the team. Why they wouldn't want to talk Argos makes my head explode. As far as other media outlets. It's called doing your job as far as I'm concerned. You have a 150 year old franchise that is successful and entertaining. Why in hell would you not want to discuss it. They would rather talk Raptors, Leafs in the middle of July. It's mind numbing

OV Argo
07-20-2023, 11:42 AM
I think it's just because Kelly and Daniel's both happened to be on TSN 1050 for interviews on the same day. Typically you never have any Argo talk on sports radio in Toronto. They are "the voice of the Argos" and Bell owns the team. Why they wouldn't want to talk Argos makes my head explode. As far as other media outlets. It's called doing your job as far as I'm concerned. You have a 150 year old franchise that is successful and entertaining. Why in hell would you not want to discuss it. They would rather talk Raptors, Leafs in the middle of July. It's mind numbing

Yep; and why wouldn't Bell/MLSE market and hype the hell out of the Argos at anything to do with their other "Major League" team events? That's mind numbing.

Will
07-20-2023, 12:08 PM
This is how I understood the exchange to have taken place:

Hayes: "The Argos tried that and it just didn't work because it just wasn't true."

Dunlop: "It wasn't authentic, and it's the Argos..."

Hayes: "That was a part of it, they didn't have enough fans, they didn't have enough people coming down"

SkalbaniasGhost
07-20-2023, 02:55 PM
I think it's just because Kelly and Daniel's both happened to be on TSN 1050 for interviews on the same day. Typically you never have any Argo talk on sports radio in Toronto. They are "the voice of the Argos" and Bell owns the team. Why they wouldn't want to talk Argos makes my head explode. As far as other media outlets. It's called doing your job as far as I'm concerned. You have a 150 year old franchise that is successful and entertaining. Why in hell would you not want to discuss it. They would rather talk Raptors, Leafs in the middle of July. It's mind numbing

It's a direct reflection of the General Managers and Program Directors who have littered the radio landscape at both 1050 and 1430/590.If acknowledging
the CFL's existence at all, it was with hostility or derisive attitude. It won't be long now for both stations in this market.I can see both having the plug pulled
on them in the next 12-24 months.I won't be missing them.

paulwoods13
07-20-2023, 03:17 PM
It won't be long now for both stations in this market.I can see both having the plug pulled
on them in the next 12-24 months.I won't be missing them.

Sadly, I agree one and possibly both all-sports stations are not long for this world. At one time, when the hosts were smart and funny and interesting, there was a ton of lively discussion on the radio here. Now, there is literally nobody that I care to listen to at any time of day, and syndicated/out-of-town programming for much of the schedule, which completely ignores the axiom that sports is predominantly local, not national. How much Damien Lillard talk can even rabid Raptors fans stomach?

Shatto
07-20-2023, 04:46 PM
The depth chart shows Argos missing Williams, Costigan, Oakman and Marion from the front seven. The team is lucky to have competent backups. The Oakman situation is strange. He is missing a second game for non-injury related reasons. Anyone have any insight as to what this is all about?

The OL will be missing Cage (is he ever going to be injury free), Giffen who is now on the 6 game injury list and Bladek. Pity about Giffen as he seemed to be coming into his own, earlier in the season. Bladek is another, what is going on here question.

Will
07-20-2023, 04:47 PM
The FAN 590 was friendly to the Argos for a period of time. The turning point, IMO, corresponded to when (i) Ted Rogers passed away, (ii) Cynamon and Sokolowski sold to Braley and (iii) Argo-friendly hosts like Mike Hogan and Don Landry were let go. You saw the tone shift especially among Bob McCown, for example, who would have Hamilton president Scott Mitchell on fairly regularly, but no Argo-related guests.

AngeloV
07-20-2023, 04:58 PM
The FAN 590 was friendly to the Argos for a period of time. The turning point, IMO, corresponded to when (i) Ted Rogers passed away, (ii) Cynamon and Sokolowski sold to Braley and (iii) Argo-friendly hosts like Mike Hogan and Don Landry were let go. You saw the tone shift especially among Bob McCown, for example, who would have Hamilton president Scott Mitchell on fairly regularly, but no Argo-related guests.

McCowan's shift was strictly personal. He did not like Braley, and it had a lot to do with Braley not putting him on the Grey Cup committee.
He recently has had a couple of strokes. I wish him nothing but the best. Although I don't care for his "athletes frankly bore me" attitude that he developed late in his time on 590, he had been a big part of the Toronto sports scene for a number of years. I actually attended his baseball camp at Bond Park when I was around 11 or 12 years old.

AngeloV
07-20-2023, 05:00 PM
The OL will be missing Cage (is he ever going to be injury free), Giffen who is now on the 6 game injury list and Bladek. Pity about Giffen as he seemed to be coming into his own, earlier in the season. Bladek is another, what is going on here question.

I have to say, I have been pleasantly surprised by the play of Tate at LT. Cage may never get his job back. Magri, Pinball and co have done an outstanding job in getting depth on this team. I really believe a lot of it has to do with his target of getting excellent GTA players signed to contracts.

ArgoRavi
07-21-2023, 12:49 AM
McCowan's shift was strictly personal. He did not like Braley, and it had a lot to do with Braley not putting him on the Grey Cup committee.
He recently has had a couple of strokes. I wish him nothing but the best. Although I don't care for his "athletes frankly bore me" attitude that he developed late in his time on 590, he had been a big part of the Toronto sports scene for a number of years. I actually attended his baseball camp at Bond Park when I was around 11 or 12 years old.

For sure. McCown turned on the Argos on a dime once his buddies Cynamon and Sokolowski were shown to be bankrolled by Braley and then Braley took over ownership of the team.

ArgoRavi
07-21-2023, 12:50 AM
I have to say, I have been pleasantly surprised by the play of Tate at LT. Cage may never get his job back. Magri, Pinball and co have done an outstanding job in getting depth on this team. I really believe a lot of it has to do with his target of getting excellent GTA players signed to contracts.

Tate, who I think had been unfairly maligned by some, has played very well over the past couple of games. The depth this team has is incredible.

AngeloV
07-21-2023, 08:26 AM
Tate, who I think had been unfairly maligned by some, has played very well over the past couple of games. The depth this team has is incredible.

To be fair, Tate was horrible at first. He was also horrible in Hamilton before we picked him up. Again, just goes to show that you can't give up on a player that has the tools. Some take longer to get there.

gilthethrill
07-21-2023, 03:42 PM
To be fair, Tate was horrible at first. He was also horrible in Hamilton before we picked him up. Again, just goes to show that you can't give up on a player that has the tools. Some take longer to get there.

Tate also spent a brief period(s) with Ottawa during that time as well.

Scooter McCray
07-21-2023, 05:08 PM
Sadly, I agree one and possibly both all-sports stations are not long for this world. At one time, when the hosts were smart and funny and interesting, there was a ton of lively discussion on the radio here. Now, there is literally nobody that I care to listen to at any time of day, and syndicated/out-of-town programming for much of the schedule, which completely ignores the axiom that sports is predominantly local, not national. How much Damien Lillard talk can even rabid Raptors fans stomach?They deserve their fate. They could have chosen a different path.

ArgoRavi
07-21-2023, 05:46 PM
Tate also spent a brief period(s) with Ottawa during that time as well.

And he played very well in that one game for Ottawa too in 2021. He was on the PR at that time that could be accessed by any team in an emergency and the RedBlacks had such an emergency before their game at home to Edmonton.

jerrym
07-21-2023, 07:44 PM
A non-running QB starting his first CFL game. All I can say to Powell is good luck, you will need it.

jerrym
07-21-2023, 07:49 PM
Great to say Brissett make a nice long distance catch early after being ignored during much of the earlier games. The more different targets are used the better for the Argos.

jerrym
07-21-2023, 07:54 PM
Love the early dominance and TD by the Argos. Take the Ticat fans out of the game.

jerrym
07-21-2023, 08:21 PM
Gittens TD! The refs missed a double short kick to Gittens back on the previous play after he was down. But no matter Argos score anyway. Always great to score a TD on a play immediately after the refs miss a call.

jerrym
07-21-2023, 08:33 PM
Bang! Bang! Great coverage by Metchie produces tipped ball that Peters takes in for a TD. McManus penalized for hit in the back on the block. Who cares Kelly to Daniels. TD! 21-0. Total domination! Love it!

jerrym
07-21-2023, 09:04 PM
For a guy who was a supposed statue pocket QB, Powell has been moving around behind the line of scrimmage very well although he appears reluctant to run downfield.

jerrym
07-21-2023, 10:13 PM
Legghio 14/14 on FGs this year but misses critical PAT. Not the first time he's blown as we all know under such circumstances.

Argos1983
07-21-2023, 10:20 PM
The Argos are pretty darn good (yes they make mistakes as all teams do) - so as long as they stay healthy (knock on wood), they will win the East and host the East Final on November 12th - when could we say that this early into a season with some degree of confidence since 1996-1997?

jerrym
07-21-2023, 10:30 PM
First time since 1960 with Tobin Rote at QB, Cookie Gilchrist, Dick Shatto, Dave Mann, and Jim Rountree Argos have started the season 5-0! The sad thing (I'm really old) is I remember it.

stuntdog
07-21-2023, 10:45 PM
First time since 1960 with Tobin Rote at QB, Cookie Gilchrist, Dick Shatto, Dave Mann, and Jim Rountree Argos have started the season 5-0! The sad thing (I'm really old) is I remember it.

Jerry - can you remember the last time the Argos started 6-0 (1935?) That would be pushing the limits of being really really old :)

OV Argo
07-21-2023, 11:01 PM
Great first half, but Argos took their foot off the gas on both offence & D in the 2nd half.

Awesome catch by Brissett early and then Daniels later - Kelly continues to find open deep receivers - gun for an arm and shows pocket presence plus mobility (still makes the odd poor decision, but he's still a young starter) (and Rich here was very high on Kelly's QB skills and potential going back to when he first signed - seems you were bang-on Rich - good call)

Brinkman is a strong DT with a real motor (2 time Conference D player of the year (!) in college ball and 35 bench reps (!) at Pro Day) - D-line continues to be a strength, and D overall is very good.

Hard to believe it is so long since a 5 & 0 Argo start - back to the days of my first Argo/football heroes - Dick Shatto, Dave Mann and some others.

6-0 next step - one game at a time, but IMO Argos are easily the most complete team in the league now (BC & Bombers are good, but not as strong as these Argos - and kudos to a smart coaching staff !)

TrueBlueGuy
07-21-2023, 11:15 PM
nice win, solid if not spectacular. Good showing by the rookie QB, hope he can keep it going as the CFL is really short on quality QB play this season. Loving our defence, AJ power-running but the weakest link appears to be our Special Teams, got sucked-in big time in the 2nd half. GO ARGOS!

gilthethrill
07-22-2023, 06:53 AM
This game was closer than expected but really never in doubt. Not sure what is going on with Oakman (I don’t think its ratio related) but watching Brinkman blow up Hamiltons O Line several time was impressive. The D appeared tired in the 2nd half and Mace seemed to play conservative which really helped Powell’s stats.
Chad Kelly continues to complete the long ball, but his receivers are doing a great job holding onto the football. This is an exciting, balanced team…I have to go back years to remember when an Argo team was this fun to watch.
I was always a fan of Chris Edwards, maybe its the Black and Gold uniform, but he really is a dirty player. After Gittens made a catch in the 1st half Edwards seemed to try to bait him into a penalty. Adarius Pickett is a huge upgrade.
Next up a “Home Game” in Halifax….hopefully next year Edmonton can fly out there with their lagging attendance. The Argos have done their time.

AngeloV
07-22-2023, 08:46 AM
A non-running QB starting his first CFL game. All I can say to Powell is good luck, you will need it.

Powell showed good feet, and runs much better than the panel suggested. The college stat of -190 yards rushing is misleading. NCAA counts sacks as negative rushing yards. He likely played in a system that was strictly pocket passing.

ArgoGabe22
07-22-2023, 09:13 AM
Oakman also did not practice so it’s not like he got benched unless they wanted to give full reps to the others but it is a concern that he’s missed two games with no apparent reason. He’s an all star calibre player. Wish someone could ask about it? Load management?

AngeloV
07-22-2023, 09:16 AM
Oakman also did not practice so it’s not like he got benched unless they wanted to give full reps to the others but it is a concern that he’s missed two games with no apparent reason. He’s an all star calibre player. Wish someone could ask about it? Load management?

They have 3 great American DT's. IMO, it is definitely ratio related. When Williams or Muamba (or both) come back, I think you will be seeing all 3 dressed.

Will
07-22-2023, 09:56 AM
There is some consternation among some that the Argos didn't blow the socks off of the Tiger-Cats, and I suppose I share some of that sentiment, however on the flip side we all know that weird things can and do happen to the Argos at Tim Hortons Field. Yes, I got a bit concerned in the 4th quarter when Hamilton scored that touchdown, but the Argos did what they had to do with a game-sealing drive.

Scooter McCray
07-22-2023, 10:10 AM
There is some consternation among some that the Argos didn't blow the socks off of the Tiger-Cats, and I suppose I share some of that sentiment, however on the flip side we all know that weird things can and do happen to the Argos at Tim Hortons Field. Yes, I got a bit concerned in the 4th quarter when Hamilton scored that touchdown, but the Argos did what they had to do with a game-sealing drive.There was definitely the vibe of a cat playing with a mouse. The Argos did not need to show anything to exotic on offense or defense in order to win last night. Labour Day may be the opportunity to make a statement.

Retrogorilla 2
07-22-2023, 10:26 AM
Argos appeared to be in the drivers' seat the entire game and I've been really impressed with Dinwiddie's progression as a coach and OC.

There doesn't seem to be too many unecessary risks taken on offence and probably part of the reason why the score was as close as it was.

paulwoods13
07-22-2023, 10:56 AM
This game was a good reminder that you can't just expect to roll over every opponent, a healthy reminder to a team that might be feeling a bit cocky after starting off 5-0. Letting a team with a first-time starter at QB get back into the game in the fourth quarter should not happen. Obviously Argos took their foot off the gas early, and I was never seriously worried about blowing the game, but RD will have a few things to remind the boys about this week.

The fans in Hamilton (at least were I sat) seemed resigned to their fate almost before the game started. A few tried to insult the Argos but it was half-hearted at best. Most of them seem to want Condell to be fired, and last night there were complaints about Washington as well. Argo receivers kept getting wide open in the first half.

It was great to see Powell do as well as he did; hopefully Crum will do so this weekend as well. The league needs to find and develop the next generation of QBs, and fast. We've potentially lost four of last year's starting QBs for good. Harris and Masoli might be able to come back, but I'm not counting on it. Bo will no doubt be back out there at some point but he has looked washed up for a while.

paulwoods13
07-22-2023, 11:04 AM
Next up a “Home Game” in Halifax….hopefully next year Edmonton can fly out there with their lagging attendance. The Argos have done their time.

Outstanding idea. If the idea is (in part, at least) to get more revenue than a home game can generate, Edmonton should definitely be the ones doing it.

AngeloV
07-22-2023, 11:50 AM
Outstanding idea. If the idea is (in part, at least) to get more revenue than a home game can generate, Edmonton should definitely be the ones doing it.

Edmonton sells a lot more tickets than fans in seats. Again, this is the choice of the Argos management. We will just have to live with it.

paulwoods13
07-22-2023, 12:16 PM
Edmonton sells a lot more tickets than fans in seats. Again, this is the choice of the Argos management. We will just have to live with it.

I doubt Edm is selling a ton more tickets than their game attendance. And I don't see anything wrong with continuing to push back on any decision Argo mgmt makes that takes games away from us.

Argo57
07-22-2023, 12:26 PM

We were sitting seven rows behind the Argo bench last night, Oakman appeared to be healthy and happy on the sideline.
Perhaps load management or ratio related, Argos depth sets them apart from other teams at this point.
Pinball, Magri and their staff have done a great job building both quality and depth on the roster.

Argo57
07-22-2023, 12:30 PM
There is some consternation among some that the Argos didn't blow the socks off of the Tiger-Cats, and I suppose I share some of that sentiment, however on the flip side we all know that weird things can and do happen to the Argos at Tim Hortons Field. Yes, I got a bit concerned in the 4th quarter when Hamilton scored that touchdown, but the Argos did what they had to do with a game-sealing drive.

I admittedly got a little concerned when Hamilton scored late in the game but the Argonauts responded accordingly.
Always great to go into Hamilton and leave with a win.
I got a good chuckle when one Hamilton fan yelled at Kelly “Hey Chad you’ve got a million dollar arm but a five dollar haircut”

AngeloV
07-22-2023, 12:52 PM
I doubt Edm is selling a ton more tickets than their game attendance. And I don't see anything wrong with continuing to push back on any decision Argo mgmt makes that takes games away from us.

Don’t get me wrong. I wish we had the extra home game too. I just think between BMO availability and management’s desire to get a guaranteed gate, this will not change any time soon. And I do believe Edmonton is selling more tickets than are in stadium. If they won the way the Argos have been winning the last 2+ seasons, their attendance wouldn’t even be a topic for discussing.

AngeloV
07-22-2023, 12:58 PM
I admittedly got a little concerned when Hamilton scored late in the game but the Argonauts responded accordingly.
Always great to go into Hamilton and leave with a win.
I got a good chuckle when one Hamilton fan yelled at Kelly “Hey Chad you’ve got a million dollar arm but a five dollar haircut”

Hi-light for me was walking along Barton St after the game, someone stormed by me and said that the Ti-Cats will “beat you when it counts, like always”. He seemed angry and not all there, so I just replied, “Yeah, probably” just to get him walking away.

55 year old AV is a lot different than 25-35 year old AV.

Argo57
07-22-2023, 01:20 PM
Hi-light for me was walking along Barton St after the game, someone stormed by me and said that the Ti-Cats will “beat you when it counts, like always”. He seemed angry and not all there, so I just replied, “Yeah, probably” just to get him walking away.

Best not to engage, smile and nod.

Stevoman
07-22-2023, 02:09 PM
I was always a fan of Chris Edwards, maybe its the Black and Gold uniform, but he really is a dirty player. After Gittens made a catch in the 1st half Edwards seemed to try to bait him into a penalty. Adarius Pickett is a huge upgrade.

I was mad at the dirty play as well and was so glad for Gittens to get the TD on the very next play. Edwards was dirty with the Argos too and I didn't like it. Pickett is great!

Argo57
07-22-2023, 02:29 PM
I was mad at the dirty play as well and was so glad for Gittens to get the TD on the very next play. Edwards was dirty with the Argos too and I didn't like it. Pickett is great!

Pickett is a better player and seems like a great teammate.
Argos seem like a very close knit team, credit to Dinwiddie and the coaching staff for fostering this environment.

ArgoRavi
07-22-2023, 03:07 PM
Don’t get me wrong. I wish we had the extra home game too. I just think between BMO availability and management’s desire to get a guaranteed gate, this will not change any time soon. And I do believe Edmonton is selling more tickets than are in stadium. If they won the way the Argos have been winning the last 2+ seasons, their attendance wouldn’t even be a topic for discussing.

Interestingly, BMO Field doesn't appear to be getting used at all over the next few weeks and there seems to be little reason why the Argos couldn't have played the Riders at BMO next Saturday at 4 pm. It's hard to imagine that such a game wouldn't have drawn more than the home opener against Hamilton. I think that they could have even threatened 20k, especially as the Riders haven't made an appearance at BMO since 2019.

ArgoRavi
07-22-2023, 03:09 PM
There was definitely the vibe of a cat playing with a mouse. The Argos did not need to show anything to exotic on offense or defense in order to win last night. Labour Day may be the opportunity to make a statement.

This is pretty much what Ben and JB said on the X's and Argos postgame podcast. They were both surprised that the Argos didn't play more aggressively last night and believe that they could have blown Hamilton out of the water if they had. Of course, playing more aggressively would carry more risk and the only way that the Ticats would have won last night is if the Argos had turned over the ball a couple of times, leading to Hamilton TDs.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-22-2023, 05:36 PM

AV simply walks into Hamilton. Just as Bear Grylls simply walks into Mordor.

gilthethrill
07-22-2023, 06:16 PM
AV simply walks into Hamilton. Just as Bear Grylls simply walks into Mordor.

Last Saturday afternoon AV simply walked in Mount Forest ON. Just like Bear Grylls walked into that place you mentioned.

RB957
07-22-2023, 10:43 PM
We were sitting seven rows behind the Argo bench last night, Oakman appeared to be healthy and happy on the sideline.
Perhaps load management or ratio related, Argos depth sets them apart from other teams at this point.
Pinball, Magri and their staff have done a great job building both quality and depth on the roster.

With regards to the last point, the one position where we don't have both quality and depth is at QB. If Chad Kelly gets hurt, the Argos are in deep trouble. And the way starting QB' s are dropping this season in the CFL, protecting Kelly as much as possible has to be a priority. That is why I am not happy when he has to go back into the game on short yardage because Dukes can't get the job done. I also don't like that with both Ouellette and Harris as quality backs, they are calling a QB run for Kelly inside the 10 yard line. I know you can't protect against everything and it is football, but Kelly is the team's #1 asset. I can only hope that should anything happen to him, the Argos have MBT on speed dial, because what is turning into an unbelievable season could turn upside down with one play.

ArgoRavi
07-22-2023, 11:14 PM
With regards to the last point, the one position where we don't have both quality and depth is at QB. If Chad Kelly gets hurt, the Argos are in deep trouble. And the way starting QB' s are dropping this season in the CFL, protecting Kelly as much as possible has to be a priority. That is why I am not happy when he has to go back into the game on short yardage because Dukes can't get the job done. I also don't like that with both Ouellette and Harris as quality backs, they are calling a QB run for Kelly inside the 10 yard line. I know you can't protect against everything and it is football, but Kelly is the team's #1 asset. I can only hope that should anything happen to him, the Argos have MBT on speed dial, because what is turning into an unbelievable season could turn upside down with one play.

To be honest, I don't recall ever seeing a QB get injured on a short-yardage sneak. Maybe it's happened but I really don't remember seeing it happen in 45+ years of watching CFL.

I agree that the one way in which this season could go sideways is if Kelly gets hurt because we have no idea what we have behind him.

Waffle
07-22-2023, 11:27 PM
To be honest, I don't recall ever seeing a QB get injured on a short-yardage sneak. Maybe it's happened but I really don't remember seeing it happen in 45+ years of watching CFL.

I agree that the one way in which this season could go sideways is if Kelly gets hurt because we have no idea what we have behind him.

I can't remember off hand an injury in the CFL but it has happened in the NFL:
Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes suffers patella dislocationhttps://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-suffers-patella-dislocation-0ap3000001066666

(https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-suffers-patella-dislocation-0ap3000001066666)

bluto
07-24-2023, 08:31 AM
You try to keep level headed after a start like this, but the Old Timers I talk Argos Football with (I'm 50 later this year) are now taking to mentioning guys like Gilchrist, Shatto, Mann and Nykoluk.

Waffle
07-24-2023, 03:24 PM
You try to keep level headed after a start like this, but the Old Timers I talk Argos Football with (I'm 50 later this year) are now taking to mentioning guys like Gilchrist, Shatto, Mann and Nykoluk.

Us old guys have long memories. While the Argos had some decent players, the 1960 team was an anomaly as I recall, the 1959 team being bad, and the team had a loosing record all through the 1960s till something like 1968 with Wally Gabler and Bill Symons.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8