PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Saskatchewan Roughriders "@" Toronto Argonauts NEUTRAL SITE GAME

Will
07-23-2023, 09:27 AM
THE GAME IS NOT AT BMO FIELD ON JULY 29. PLEASE DO NOT APPEAR AT BMO FIELD. NO GAME WILL BE PLAYED THERE.

I'm going to Halifax, who else?

AngeloV
07-23-2023, 05:33 PM
I am having a great group of friends at my place to watch this one.

ArgoGabe22
07-23-2023, 06:45 PM

I might still go to BMO Field and be like sign guy with “Argos need to stop giving up home games”

"Issues"Mcgee
07-23-2023, 07:43 PM
I'm not going but to anyone who is, please have a donair for me.

RB957
07-23-2023, 11:09 PM
THE GAME IS NOT AT BMO FIELD ON JULY 29. PLEASE DO NOT APPEAR AT BMO FIELD. NO GAME WILL BE PLAYED THERE.

I'm going to Halifax, who else?

See you there. Thank God it was not this weekend with those terrible thunderstorms. Weather forecast for game day looks a pretty promising.

RB957
07-23-2023, 11:10 PM
I'm not going but to anyone who is, please have a donair for me.

One of my "must do's". Still trying to find what is considered the best donair place in Halifax. If anyone has a strong recommendation, I would love to hear it.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-24-2023, 04:49 PM
One of my "must do's". Still trying to find what is considered the best donair place in Halifax. If anyone has a strong recommendation, I would love to hear it.

I wish I has some recommendations but I have never been to the East Coast. They are surprisingly easy to make at home though. I can help you with that.

paulwoods13
07-25-2023, 03:54 PM
It's only Day 1 of practice for the week, but good to see Jordan Williams, Shawn Oakman and Isaiah Cage went full today. On the flip side, three guys who are now eligible to practice and could come off the six after this game -- Bladek, Carnell and Muamba -- did not practice today.

AngeloV
07-25-2023, 04:07 PM
It's only Day 1 of practice for the week, but good to see Jordan Williams, Shawn Oakman and Isaiah Cage went full today. On the flip side, three guys who are now eligible to practice and could come off the six after this game -- Bladek, Carnell and Muamba -- did not practice today.

I really think Bladek is going to have a hard time getting back into the line-up. The line has been outstanding, and with young depth playing well when given the opportunity, I can see the Argos looking to move him....perhaps to the Elks who can really use help on the line.

Waffle
07-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the update. The injury reports at various sites are always confusing.

gilthethrill
07-25-2023, 04:35 PM

I can tell you to attend “The Freaks Lunch Box” if you get a chance. Pretty famous candy store. Actor Rob Lowe attended there once.

gilthethrill
07-25-2023, 04:38 PM

Is Muamba really injured? Does anyone know when/what happened to his knee? I can’t help but think his signing is reminiscent to Bear Woods being signed a couple seasons back. Everyone knew he wasn’t going to play but it was great to have him with the team.

Waffle
07-25-2023, 06:21 PM
I really think Bladek is going to have a hard time getting back into the line-up. The line has been outstanding, and with young depth playing well when given the opportunity, I can see the Argos looking to move him....perhaps to the Elks who can really use help on the line.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/07/25/argos-riders-injury-reports-williams-wieneke-take-part-on-tues/

(https://www.cfl.ca/2023/07/25/argos-riders-injury-reports-williams-wieneke-take-part-on-tues/)

paulwoods13
07-25-2023, 06:50 PM

I agree it's unlikely he'd step in to replace Nicastro at this point, but if either Nicastro or Ciraco were to get hurt, a healthy Bladek is likely our best option at RG IMO. Giffen looked incredibly promising against Edm, but is on the six and who knows when he'll be back. Mackellar is still an excellent prospect (with a decent amount of experience) but I'd rate a healthy Bladek as better. And I definitely think he's better than Richards (albeit they play different positions). A big salary works against Bladek sticking around all season without playing, but I never like to voluntarily surrender depth, especially in a key group like o-line. One injury can have a cascading impact; better to have plug-and-play guys available if at all possible.

AngeloV
07-25-2023, 10:28 PM
I agree it's unlikely he'd step in to replace Nicastro at this point, but if either Nicastro or Ciraco were to get hurt, a healthy Bladek is likely our best option at RG IMO. Giffen looked incredibly promising against Edm, but is on the six and who knows when he'll be back. Mackellar is still an excellent prospect (with a decent amount of experience) but I'd rate a healthy Bladek as better. And I definitely think he's better than Richards (albeit they play different positions). A big salary works against Bladek sticking around all season without playing, but I never like to voluntarily surrender depth, especially in a key group like o-line. One injury can have a cascading impact; better to have plug-and-play guys available if at all possible.

We disagree in Richards. Richards IMO was good last year, and is versatile as he can play G or T. We do agree that Bladek's salary would be the biggest reason to let him go. If he's not starting, you can't justify that salary for a back up.

OV Argo
07-25-2023, 11:44 PM
With the Argos O-Line depth, I wonder if Bladek might fetch something decent in trade return - starting experience - from a team in O-line need (and there are several of those IMO) ?

gilthethrill
07-26-2023, 12:16 PM

I asked my big brother who resides in Halifax. He said “King of Donair” is the place to go. I don’t have an address though. Hope that helps.

RB957
07-26-2023, 05:43 PM
I asked my big brother who resides in Halifax. He said “King of Donair” is the place to go. I don’t have an address though. Hope that helps.

Sure does. I looked it up. Great reviews.... 6420 Quinpool Road... about 15 min from our hotel. Thanks!

paulwoods13
07-26-2023, 07:11 PM
We disagree in Richards. Richards IMO was good last year, and is versatile as he can play G or T. We do agree that Bladek's salary would be the biggest reason to let him go. If he's not starting, you can't justify that salary for a back up.

I can justify a big salary for a backup if keeping him provides necessary depth at a position where depth is massively important. One loss of a starting guard and we'd be down to MacKellar, and after that?

I have no idea what you saw in Richards last year. I've rewatched a fair bit of last season in the past few months and I saw a guy who regularly got manhandled by edge rushers. I guess we agree to disagree.

primetime31
07-26-2023, 08:21 PM
I can justify a big salary for a backup if keeping him provides necessary depth at a position where depth is massively important. One loss of a starting guard and we'd be down to MacKellar, and after that?

I have no idea what you saw in Richards last year. I've rewatched a fair bit of last season in the past few months and I saw a guy who regularly got manhandled by edge rushers. I guess we agree to disagree.

In my observation of Richards play, IMO, he has played much better as a guard than at tackle where his lack of a first quick step provides him with a massive disadvantage when dealing with speed rushers.

jerrym
07-29-2023, 04:16 PM
Great return by Leake who has a much better sense of his return job than when he started.

jerrym
07-29-2023, 04:30 PM
Even better return for Leake! TD!

Scooter McCray
07-29-2023, 05:01 PM
I just got to BMO Field. Running late. Where is everyone?

jerrym
07-29-2023, 05:13 PM

In case your not joking, it's the TD Atlantic game and Toronto is not on the Atlantic.

jerrym
07-29-2023, 05:16 PM
21-0. This is turning into a rout as both the Argo Offence and Defence dominating with Mason showing no signs of being able to deliver an accurate deep pass, the same as in BC last week. So the Argos play tight against the run and short pass.

Waffle
07-29-2023, 05:28 PM
Defence and special teams have played well for the Argos.

Scooter McCray
07-29-2023, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=jerrym;168027]In case your not joking, it's the TD Atlantic game and Toronto is not on the Atlantic.[/QUOTE
I think you meant Lake Ontario. The Argos play in the mistake by the lake. A good Samaritan came by and told me the game is being played at Rogers Centre. He's driving me there now. Said I owe him a favour when we arrive. Go Argos

jerrym
07-29-2023, 05:41 PM
Mason must have heard me complaining about his passing game, so he responds with some deeper passes but the Argos generate a fumble recovery at the goal line.

ArgoGabe22
07-29-2023, 05:45 PM

Even with no game, there’s non stop traffic heading into BMO lol

Scooter McCray
07-29-2023, 06:05 PM
Even with no game, there’s non stop traffic heading into BMO lolAll in good fun. I am at home safe and sound enjoying TDA on TV.
The Argos are definitely in control, but it would be good to see a nice long offensive drive ending with a touchdown.

Scooter McCray
07-29-2023, 06:08 PM
McBane making things happen for the Green Eggs and Ham

jerrym
07-29-2023, 06:35 PM
Salute to Andrew Harris for passing Charles Roberts, his childhood hero, for fifth all-time in rushing.

ArgoGabe22
07-29-2023, 06:42 PM
I assume the Argos will remain undefeated once this is over and while I should be ecstatic, I feel a disappointed in the offence and the 2nd half defence (minus the pick 6). Every fan wants a quick start but I wonder if being up 21-0 just took away some of that urgency I would’ve like to see. Crazy to be negative after a “dominant” score line but I don’t feel like they played that way.

jerrym
07-29-2023, 06:45 PM
Amos delivers the coup de grace with an interception.

jerrym
07-29-2023, 06:54 PM
I know it's garbage time, but Dolegala's passes look so much crisper than Fine's and finally result in a Rider TD.

jerrym
07-29-2023, 06:56 PM
To answer the question from the last game thread, while I do remember the 1960 5-0 Argos, after searching my brain valiantly, I still cannot remember the 6-0 1935 Argos, which this team has just matched.

ArgoGabe22
07-29-2023, 06:57 PM
Hope Kelly’s thumb is ok. Looked bloody by the end of it

Waffle
07-29-2023, 06:57 PM
31-16 final. Chad Kelly 13/21 for 122 yards, 1 TD, 1 interecption. Defence and special teams won this game. I don't know the rushing yds, but I think Ouellette had 68 yards.

gilthethrill
07-29-2023, 07:21 PM
Hope Kelly’s thumb is ok. Looked bloody by the end of it

Seriously? Is he hurt? He looked fine on the field after the game.

ArgoGabe22
07-29-2023, 07:44 PM
Seriously? Is he hurt? He looked fine on the field after the game.

“Ryan Dinwiddie says Chad Kelly hurt his right (throwing) thumb in the game, but Dinwiddie doesn’t expect Kelly will miss next week’s game in Calgary”

TrueBlueGuy
07-29-2023, 08:04 PM
speaking of QB injuries, I see where in another recent thread, there was discussion about how a QB doesn't get hurt on a sneak...so...did everyone see Bo Levi at the end of the Ottawa game last night? WHAT ON EARTH WAS HAMILTON THINKING...the game was over, the game was theirs, it's called VICTORY FORMATION guys. Ever heard of it? My Goodness Mr. Steinauer, so stupid and unrequired.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-29-2023, 08:10 PM
To answer the question from the last game thread, while I do remember the 1960 5-0 Argos, after searching my brain valiantly, I still cannot remember the 6-0 1935 Argos, which this team has just matched.

The Argos missed the playoffs that year with a 6-3 record.

Stevoman
07-29-2023, 08:14 PM
Good to have another quick start and excellent job by the D and Special Teams!

Argo57
07-29-2023, 09:37 PM
I am having a great group of friends at my place to watch this one.

It was a lot of fun getting together with you the gang for this game!!

ArgoFan1
07-29-2023, 10:56 PM
Argos' offence seems to be petering out. For the second straight game, they jump out to a lead, this time aided by defence and special teams, and then they get super boring and ineffective for the rest of the game. Hopefully this is a short lived trend. Offensive numbers were pretty pathetic this game. For the first time that I can recall, I actually fell asleep during an Argo game, watching them do nothing the the last half of the game. Defence is obviously their strong point. I hope Kelly has not reached his peak too soon.

Shatto
07-29-2023, 11:05 PM
It is often said there are 3 parts to any football game---offense, defense and special teams The team won because they won 2 of those parts. The offense did not play their usual dominating game. It appeared Kelly had a bit of an off performance and one has to wonder how much the team missed Coxie. It is good to see Leake continue to develop as a dangerous returner.

At practice on Thursday, it looked to me, as if Dukes had move up to the number 2 spot at QB. That seemed to be confirmed today when he finished of the game rather than Scott. The rotation of Brinkman, Oakman and Hendrix put constant pressure on the Sask QB. Hope they can continue to dress all three in future games. The often overlooked Barlow also had a very good game. Though I like Costigan, IMO Barlow is even a better player than Costigan. Boy, it sure is nice to have such great depth on the DL.

Rich
07-29-2023, 11:59 PM
I thought The Chad was surprisingly awful today. To me it looked like his head just wasn’t in it. Then again, how could all this MOP hype NOT get in the head of a guy in his situation?

Maybe teams are learning how to defend him better. All I know is, the more games like this, the better chance we’ll be stuck with this guy for years to come, and I’d have no problem with that. I think this defence could win us games with Dukes starting. An All-World peformance from Wynton McManus today. How good can this D get?

ArgoRavi
07-30-2023, 12:11 AM
I thought The Chad was surprisingly awful today. To me it looked like his head just wasn’t in it. Then again, how could all this MOP hype NOT get in the head of a guy in his situation?

Maybe teams are learning how to defend him better. All I know is, the more games like this, the better chance we’ll be stuck with this guy for years to come, and I’d have no problem with that. I think this defence could win us games with Dukes starting. An All-World peformance from Wynton McManus today. How good can this D get?

The passing game was off on Saturday but I wonder how much that had to do with Kelly's thumb injury. They still ran the ball reasonably well and played superbly on defence and special teams.

Dukes has been listed as the #2 since at least the second game of the season, I believe.

AngeloV
07-30-2023, 12:23 AM
speaking of QB injuries, I see where in another recent thread, there was discussion about how a QB doesn't get hurt on a sneak...so...did everyone see Bo Levi at the end of the Ottawa game last night? WHAT ON EARTH WAS HAMILTON THINKING...the game was over, the game was theirs, it's called VICTORY FORMATION guys. Ever heard of it? My Goodness Mr. Steinauer, so stupid and unrequired.

Pretty hard to do a victory formation from the 1 yard line and not give up a safety. They did the right thing. You have to keep your starter in there and not risk a fumble from someone that hasn't played QB all game. If it was even the 2 or 3 yard line, then the kneel down would be the play. It was just bad luck and IMO a dirty play by Santos-Knox bending BLM backwards after the play was dead.

AngeloV
07-30-2023, 12:24 AM
It was a lot of fun getting together with you the gang for this game!!

A great time as always. I love having the boys over to watch games.

Argo57
07-30-2023, 08:02 AM

Don’t worry Rich, “The Machine Gun” will reappear soon.

gilthethrill
07-30-2023, 08:23 AM

As the game progressed it felt like Dinwiddie decided to go ultra conservative and not challenge the Riders D. I don’t think the offence was terrible as much as they didn’t want to give anything away. Hope we hear more about Kelly’s thumb injury at some point.

paulwoods13
07-30-2023, 08:31 AM
At practice on Thursday, it looked to me, as if Dukes had move up to the number 2 spot at QB. That seemed to be confirmed today when he finished of the game rather than Scott. The rotation of Brinkman, Oakman and Hendrix put constant pressure on the Sask QB. Hope they can continue to dress all three in future games. The often overlooked Barlow also had a very good game. Though I like Costigan, IMO Barlow is even a better player than Costigan. Boy, it sure is nice to have such great depth on the DL.

It definitely seems that Dukes is No. 2, which surprises me as I know the org was (or is) extremely high on Scott. Dukes must have earned the backup job with his performance in camp and at practice.

I agree re the d-line -- in fact, the front six (including McManis and, for now at least, Jones) looks almost unstoppable. If and when we ever get Williams back to full health (he had a few reps on D, from what I could see) and Muamba back, we will have all kinds of options for new and challenging looks.

I think on both O and D, the coaches are taking a very strategic approach -- do enough to win games, preferably comfortably, but don't show opponents all that we are capable of until it's really needed.

ArgoGabe22
07-30-2023, 09:26 AM
Anyone know the status of ex Argo, Brescacin? Injured or just not in the picture?

Argo57
07-30-2023, 10:06 AM
As the game progressed it felt like Dinwiddie decided to go ultra conservative and not challenge the Riders D. I don’t think the offence was terrible as much as they didn’t want to give anything away. Hope we hear more about Kelly’s thumb injury at some point.

A few drops on highly catchable balls didn’t help either.

gilthethrill
07-30-2023, 12:14 PM
Anyone know the status of ex Argo, Brescacin? Injured or just not in the picture?

Played a couple games early then went on the 6 Game Injured List.

Argo57
07-30-2023, 12:23 PM

Shocking!!!

Retrogorilla 2
07-30-2023, 01:00 PM
There were some catchable, dropped balls by the receivers that would have helped Kelly' stats, but 'yeah', he didn't look his usual self out there.

I also agree that Dinwiddie played a very conservative game in the 2nd half which is probably a good call if not terribly exciting to watch.

ArgoRavi
07-30-2023, 02:13 PM

I will be surprised if Brescacin plays another game this season for the Riders. He is clearly well down the depth chart there, even if healthy.

ArgoGabe22
07-30-2023, 02:19 PM
This might be the best uniform combo thus far and ever (with these jerseys). But Andrew Harris going no socks bugged me.

paulwoods13
07-30-2023, 04:40 PM
This might be the best uniform combo thus far and ever (with these jerseys). But Andrew Harris going no socks bugged me.

A million times this. The no-socks look should not be allowed. NFL doesn't allow it and I agree with their belief that it cheapens the look. Also, Leake started the game with the navel-baring Wilder look, but pulled his jersey down to regulation length later -- perhaps he was given a warning.

But yes, using three separate colours top to bottom is for sure the best look. Now if only we bust out Oxford pants at some point (with white jerseys and Cambridge socks, ideally).

"Issues"Mcgee
07-30-2023, 06:13 PM
A million times this. The no-socks look should not be allowed. NFL doesn't allow it and I agree with their belief that it cheapens the look. Also, Leake started the game with the navel-baring Wilder look, but pulled his jersey down to regulation length later -- perhaps he was given a warning.

But yes, using three separate colours top to bottom is for sure the best look. Now if only we bust out Oxford pants at some point (with white jerseys and Cambridge socks, ideally).

Throw flags for all crop tops, no socks, mouthguards hanging out during play and helmet straps undone. The first week or two might be ridiculous but it will put a stop to all that right quick.

Still hoping for an all white kit. This team would look great with the stormtrooper style.

AngeloV
07-30-2023, 07:35 PM
You fashion police guys. And me laugh. Who really cares?

Argo57
07-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Argos are 6-0 and this is what you are complaining about, I’m sure Elks fans have more important issues to worry than their teams dress code.

paulwoods13
07-30-2023, 08:29 PM
Mock away, but the look of football uniforms is one of the most important aspects of my enjoyment of the sport. I managed to keep cheering for the Argos when they had their terrible logo in 1989-90 and when they abandoned Double Blue from 1995 to 2004, but if I had not been a fan before those eras, I really doubt I'd have become one. I'm not "complaining" about Harris and Leake, but such deviations do bug me, and I'm obviously not the only person who feels that way. And don't get me started on guys who wear no lower socks, showing bare ankles below the "colour" socks, or those who do both that and expose their bare knees. Frank Beltre was the worst when he was here. Traditional football unis (the kind that helped me fall in love with the sport) always had full colour, contrasting socks from the bottom of the pant, with white socks at the bottom of the leg. It's still the best look, by far, IMO.

paulwoods13
07-30-2023, 08:30 PM
Still hoping for an all white kit. This team would look great with the stormtrooper style.

Couldn't disagree more -- it's football's worst look (other than all-black/dark top to bottom).

AngeloV
07-30-2023, 08:39 PM
Mock away, but the look of football uniforms is one of the most important aspects of my enjoyment of the sport. I managed to keep cheering for the Argos when they had their terrible logo in 1989-90 and when they abandoned Double Blue from 1995 to 2004, but if I had not been a fan before those eras, I really doubt I'd have become one. I'm not "complaining" about Harris and Leake, but such deviations do bug me, and I'm obviously not the only person who feels that way. And don't get me started on guys who wear no lower socks, showing bare ankles below the "colour" socks, or those who do both that and expose their bare knees. Frank Beltre was the worst when he was here. Traditional football unis (the kind that helped me fall in love with the sport) always had full colour, contrasting socks from the bottom of the pant, with white socks at the bottom of the leg. It's still the best look, by far, IMO.

Well, we are obviously different cats then. I understand logo and colour scheme, but socks and belly showing, have never been anything I have ever cared about.

Rich
07-31-2023, 03:36 AM

Machine Gun Kelly was a notorious gangster from the 1930s, but I guess the reference isn’t so relevant in 2023.

I’m sure he’ll bounce back, but I think Coach needs to ease up on the reins a little bit. It looks a little like he’s being instructed not to run with the ball unless absolutely necessary, and I think that would be a mistake.

Sure you want to protect him, but running the ball is a part of his game, it jacks him up and gives him a little more fire, and you’d hate to lose that energy. Let Chad be Chad.

Argo57
07-31-2023, 07:11 AM
Machine Gun Kelly was a notorious gangster from the 1930s, but I guess the reference isn’t so relevant in 2023.

I’m sure he’ll bounce back, but I think Coach needs to ease up on the reins a little bit. It looks a little like he’s being instructed not to run with the ball unless absolutely necessary, and I think that would be a mistake.

Sure you want to protect him, but running the ball is a part of his game, it jacks him up and gives him a little more fire, and you’d hate to lose that energy. Let Chad be Chad.

The O was out of sync the whole game, a few drops of catchable passes didn’t help.
Dinwiddie is getting somewhat predictable (and conservative) running on first down and should mix in some play action passes a little more to balance things out.

Argoriffic
07-31-2023, 10:54 AM
Nah, it is a good one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Gun_Kelly_(musician)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsYYJ5iU4pk&t=1s

argolio
07-31-2023, 12:59 PM
I'll never criticize a win, or socks. The Rider D played well so they deserve some credit for limiting our offence.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-31-2023, 01:25 PM
Well, we are obviously different cats then. I understand logo and colour scheme, but socks and belly showing, have never been anything I have ever cared about.

I'd like to avoid the fashion show culture of the Toronto Maple Leafs and just have the players wear their equipment properly.

RB957
07-31-2023, 03:51 PM
I assume the Argos will remain undefeated once this is over and while I should be ecstatic, I feel a disappointed in the offence and the 2nd half defence (minus the pick 6). Every fan wants a quick start but I wonder if being up 21-0 just took away some of that urgency I would’ve like to see. Crazy to be negative after a “dominant” score line but I don’t feel like they played that way.

Being at the game and watching it live, this is exactly how I felt. To me, the offence never completely got into sync, for the most part for the entire game and I think Chad Kelly's stats bear that out. But good teams can win ugly, and I will take a W anyway we get it. I believe Andrew Harris was quoted after the game saying how everyone on this team has each other's backs. This game showed that.

One thing I am very impressed with on defence is how quick the Argos are reacting to the ball and how hard they are hitting opposing players.

RB957
07-31-2023, 04:03 PM

I remember one game at Rogers Centre when the Argos wore Cambridge jerseys with Oxford pants and their dark helmets. That was a good look.

RB957
07-31-2023, 04:14 PM
It was a great weekend in Halifax and it was awesome to see a lot of double blue in the City although we had to be outnumbered 20 -1 easy. The Riders fans are great, and we had a blast at the Riderville event at a local hall. But this leads me to one serious complaint, that I would like to vent about and get off my chest. We were getting set to leave the Riderville party (too much green, lol) and were heading to a bar that was recommended to us. A Riders fan then commented about how he was surprised that we had come to their event and not the Argos event. Our reaction... what Argos event. He told us it as at a bar called Durty Nelly's. We go there straightway and sure enough, who is standing outside but Pinball Clemons. We introduced ourselves, had a picture taken, but then found out the "event time" was ending. To say we were disappointed was an understatement. Pinball's response... "we need to do better". C'mon, now. How is it that as faithful Argos fans and season ticket holders, we find out about the team event from an opposing fan?? And the irony is we were all sent emails from the team asking us to download the team app, so they could send alerts and notifications. The entire weekend we were in Halifax... not a single message of any kind. For a team that is struggling to attract new fans, they surely need to do a better job at keeping the fans they do have informed. This was embarassing. We aren't talking about putting a man on the moon here, just simple communication. I will be DM'ing Mike Hogan to let him know. They need to do a better job.

"Issues"Mcgee
07-31-2023, 06:21 PM
It was a great weekend in Halifax and it was awesome to see a lot of double blue in the City although we had to be outnumbered 20 -1 easy. The Riders fans are great, and we had a blast at the Riderville event at a local hall. But this leads me to one serious complaint, that I would like to vent about and get off my chest. We were getting set to leave the Riderville party (too much green, lol) and were heading to a bar that was recommended to us. A Riders fan then commented about how he was surprised that we had come to their event and not the Argos event. Our reaction... what Argos event. He told us it as at a bar called Durty Nelly's. We go there straightway and sure enough, who is standing outside but Pinball Clemons. We introduced ourselves, had a picture taken, but then found out the "event time" was ending. To say we were disappointed was an understatement. Pinball's response... "we need to do better". C'mon, now. How is it that as faithful Argos fans and season ticket holders, we find out about the team event from an opposing fan?? And the irony is we were all sent emails from the team asking us to download the team app, so they could send alerts and notifications. The entire weekend we were in Halifax... not a single message of any kind. For a team that is struggling to attract new fans, they surely need to do a better job at keeping the fans they do have informed. This was embarassing. We aren't talking about putting a man on the moon here, just simple communication. I will be DM'ing Mike Hogan to let him know. They need to do a better job.

That's really bad. They couldn't even send one email out?

Will
07-31-2023, 07:46 PM
I'm back from Halifax. I'm tired.

Scooter McCray
07-31-2023, 08:27 PM
It was a great weekend in Halifax and it was awesome to see a lot of double blue in the City although we had to be outnumbered 20 -1 easy. The Riders fans are great, and we had a blast at the Riderville event at a local hall. But this leads me to one serious complaint, that I would like to vent about and get off my chest. We were getting set to leave the Riderville party (too much green, lol) and were heading to a bar that was recommended to us. A Riders fan then commented about how he was surprised that we had come to their event and not the Argos event. Our reaction... what Argos event. He told us it as at a bar called Durty Nelly's. We go there straightway and sure enough, who is standing outside but Pinball Clemons. We introduced ourselves, had a picture taken, but then found out the "event time" was ending. To say we were disappointed was an understatement. Pinball's response... "we need to do better". C'mon, now. How is it that as faithful Argos fans and season ticket holders, we find out about the team event from an opposing fan?? And the irony is we were all sent emails from the team asking us to download the team app, so they could send alerts and notifications. The entire weekend we were in Halifax... not a single message of any kind. For a team that is struggling to attract new fans, they surely need to do a better job at keeping the fans they do have informed. This was embarassing. We aren't talking about putting a man on the moon here, just simple communication. I will be DM'ing Mike Hogan to let him know. They need to do a better job.Poor Pinball. He is the GM FFS. Who was there from the business side? Make him the President already dammit. Especially if your making him be chief bottle washer and take responsibility for everything. MLSE need to get their act together with respect to their football team. If they want to give up a real home game every year then step-up and manage it right.

RB957
07-31-2023, 09:21 PM
Poor Pinball. He is the GM FFS. Who was there from the business side? Make him the President already dammit. Especially if your making him be chief bottle washer and take responsibility for everything. MLSE need to get their act together with respect to their football team. If they want to give up a real home game every year then step-up and manage it right.

I am not blaming him... I blame the team. I feel bad for him. Who puts their GM and one of the most beloved sports personalities in the country in that kind of position in the first place? And I know he is on the football ops side, but I would assume there would be communication between him and the business side if they are asking him to attend an event and if so, then a basic question would be - "have we got the word out?" It just sucks that an operation like MLSE can't even get something like this right.

shayman
07-31-2023, 10:06 PM
We only happened to find out about the Durty Nelly's event by running into other Argo fans who told us they'd heard about it, and though I'm grateful for the beer tickets they were handing out, the lack of notice sort of matches the overall tone of TDA, namely a mostly invisible Halifax event which felt a lot closer to being a Rider home game than an Argo home game.

And I don't just mean by the number of fans - but the usual Argo game day stuff was mostly absent. The game day announcer - some local guy, not our regular Argo announcer who was in the stands with other fans - hyped up the arrival of Gainer the Gopher but I don't think he even mentioned that Jason was there. (No dance team, perhaps understandably, that would have cost money.)

And sure, they played "Go Argos Go" after the Argo scores, but they also did the Rider 4th quarter tradition of announcing and then playing "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate", and (this is the sort of thing that irritates me probably more than most people) they played "Green is the colour" after the lone Rider touchdown about six times, and about 3 times as loud as "Go Argos Go."

If we're going to lose a home game for this, then it should be run like a real Argo home game rather than some sort of neutral-site-but-secretly-Rider event.

I have a bunch of other observations about whether a temporary facility like this can work to get a CFL team off the ground, but am still collecting my thoughts. (one other point: not NEARLY enough portable restrooms. My wife missed almost the entire 3rd quarter waiting in a line hundreds of people deep for the few facilities available. People might forgive a temporary stadium but the casual fan will long remember absurd lines for food, drink, and restrooms, and might not return.)

AngeloV
07-31-2023, 10:15 PM
To say we were disappointed was an understatement. Pinball's response... "we need to do better". C'mon, now.

Pinball is so nice, but gets put into difficult situations. It was similar at this year's Blue White scrimmage in Guelph. It started half hour or so before it was scheduled and finished about an hour before advertised. I walked over to say to Lori Bursey who asked how I was, and I said I was a little disappointed to drive out an hour to see 20 minutes of scrimmage. Pinball embarrassingly apologized to me. I actually felt bad that I made him feel bad.

RB957
07-31-2023, 10:20 PM
We only happened to find out about the Durty Nelly's event by running into other Argo fans who told us they'd heard about it, and though I'm grateful for the beer tickets they were handing out, the lack of notice sort of matches the overall tone of TDA, namely a mostly invisible Halifax event which felt a lot closer to being a Rider home game than an Argo home game.

And I don't just mean by the number of fans - but the usual Argo game day stuff was mostly absent. The game day announcer - some local guy, not our regular Argo announcer who was in the stands with other fans - hyped up the arrival of Gainer the Gopher but I don't think he even mentioned that Jason was there. (No dance team, perhaps understandably, that would have cost money.)

And sure, they played "Go Argos Go" after the Argo scores, but they also did the Rider 4th quarter tradition of announcing and then playing "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate", and (this is the sort of thing that irritates me probably more than most people) they played "Green is the colour" after the lone Rider touchdown about six times, and about 3 times as loud as "Go Argos Go."

If we're going to lose a home game for this, then it should be run like a real Argo home game rather than some sort of neutral-site-but-secretly-Rider event.

I have a bunch of other observations about whether a temporary facility like this can work to get a CFL team off the ground, but am still collecting my thoughts. (one other point: not NEARLY enough portable restrooms. My wife missed almost the entire 3rd quarter waiting in a line hundreds of people deep for the few facilities available. People might forgive a temporary stadium but the casual fan will long remember absurd lines for food, drink, and restrooms, and might not return.)

All of your points are bang on. It would be nice if things had been different, but quite frankly, without all the Rider fans there, this game might not have even been a sellout. So it creates quite the conundrum.

RB957
07-31-2023, 10:22 PM
Pinball is so nice, but gets put into difficult situations. It was similar at this year's Blue White scrimmage in Guelph. It started half hour or so before it was scheduled and finished about an hour before advertised. I walked over to say to Lori Bursey who asked how I was, and I said I was a little disappointed to drive out an hour to see 20 minutes of scrimmage. Pinball embarrassingly apologized to me. I actually felt bad that I made him feel bad.

I know exactly how you feel. And like I say, I feel bad for him. Maybe it is time for him to be not so nice with his bosses. I hate to see him put in such positions.

shayman
07-31-2023, 10:27 PM
Without all the Rider fans there, this game might not have even been a sellout. So it creates quite the conundrum.

Hard to argue with that. Make it a Rider home game, then. I know we get smaller crowds than they do but we've donated enough games to Atlantic Canada already, somebody else can step up next time.

I will add that I was pretty happy that the otherwise-unaffiliated Halifax natives sitting near us were pulling for the Argos.

also remember, the reason you see so many green jerseys at Rider away games is because all these people just cannot wait to get out of Saskatchewan :-)

ArgoGabe22
07-31-2023, 10:43 PM
also remember, the reason you see so many green jerseys at Rider away games is because all these people just cannot wait to get out of Saskatchewan :-)

This. Riders often get credited as the best travelling fan base but how many actually travelled from Saskatchewan? I remember being around Rider fans when they came to town and most of them came from around the GTA, and did in fact not travel so many kms. Im sure some may make a trip of it, especially in the summer time but other fan bases dont get enough credit for travelling across the country to watch their respected teams.

Rich
08-01-2023, 01:03 AM
Hard to argue with that. Make it a Rider home game, then. I know we get smaller crowds than they do but we've donated enough games to Atlantic Canada already, somebody else can step up next time.

But MLSE doesn’t do these TDAs as some altruistic gift to the Maritimes and the League, do they? I had always heard that they do it because they make more money, or lose less money, than they would if the game was at BMO. Is this not true?

Rich
08-01-2023, 01:12 AM
Nah, it is a good one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Gun_Kelly_(musician)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsYYJ5iU4pk&t=1s

Ya gotta love a nickname with multi-generational reference points. Let’s just hope nobody calls him ‘r’ Kelly.

Will
08-01-2023, 08:15 AM

The problem was compounded by the distance between the stands and the porta/potties and food trucks. They had a few beer/booze tents behind the stands, but that was about it without walking. For those not there, the playing field (and temporary stands) were surrounded by university residences and other facilities. The tailgate (along with washrooms & food trucks) were located on what is normally a parking lot. It was quite hot in Halifax on Saturday, and about the only thing that saved us was the fact that it became overcast. It was still extremely uncomfortable sitting in those temporary stands, and for those of you who know me, you'll notice my group was on TV quite a bit, but that I wasn't always present. That's because I was behind the stands trying to escape some of the claustrophobia. I missed the sequence at the end of the 2nd quarter with the goal-line fumble and subsequent interception by Chad Kelly.

The consensus was that there were more Argo fans than last year, but that it was still outnumbered by Rider fans. I noted the playing of the Rider fight song, but given the context and the score, I just let it slide.

AngeloV
08-01-2023, 09:50 AM
I noted the playing of the Rider fight song, but given the context and the score, I just let it slide.

I voiced my opinion of that on twitter. If it's an Argo home game, it should be an Argo home game. Victory or not, it still pissed me off.

Will
08-01-2023, 02:22 PM
I think complaints about not being told about Durty Nelly's are better focused at business ops vs. someone who is on football ops, however, with Pinball being the public face of the franchise that everybody recognizes...

Scooter McCray
08-01-2023, 03:43 PM
I think complaints about not being told about Durty Nelly's are better focused at business ops vs. someone who is on football ops, however, with Pinball being the public face of the franchise that everybody recognizes...Pinball takes the heat because he takes responsibility for all things Argo. He is the public face and a true leader. That's what pisses me off about ownership. They should have made him the President long ago. I don't care what else they have on their plate. This is a stroke of a pen decision. 2 seconds and MLSE can go back to fretting about how much they will have to overpay Auston Matthew's next year to keep him. Take 10% of that, give it to Pinball and you will have a full BMO Field to watch the Argos play each week.

paulwoods13
08-01-2023, 05:05 PM
This is a stroke of a pen decision. 2 seconds and MLSE can go back to fretting about how much they will have to overpay Auston Matthew's next year to keep him. Take 10% of that, give it to Pinball and you will have a full BMO Field to watch the Argos play each week.

Pinball is great, but he's not a miracle worker. Even if MLSE were to follow your advice, rebuilding the fanbase after 40 years of ownership neglect (and worse) is going to take much more than a new title for Pinball. Doesn't mean it would hurt, just that it would not in itself be the long-awaited answer to the vexing problem of a market that has for the most part lost interest.

Scooter McCray
08-01-2023, 06:07 PM
Pinball is great, but he's not a miracle worker. Even if MLSE were to follow your advice, rebuilding the fanbase after 40 years of ownership neglect (and worse) is going to take much more than a new title for Pinball. Doesn't mean it would hurt, just that it would not in itself be the long-awaited answer to the vexing problem of a market that has for the most part lost interest.Not overnight. But the man succeeds at everything he does because of how it conducts himself. The franchise would be in such good hands with him at the helm. Everyone close to the team and most fans of the team and league know this. Yet for some unknown reason MLSE do not make it happen. It's a mystery.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8