View Full Version : Game thread: Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Calgary Stampeders

Mocha
08-18-2023, 06:42 PM
From PFF:

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS VS. CALGARY STAMPEDERS
It was quite a comeback last week for the Blue Bombers, who found themselves down 22-0 and without their star QB Zach Collaros for the rest of the game. But backup QB Dru Brown came in and brought them all the way back, putting up an 89.4 overall grade with three big-time throws and zero turnover-worthy plays. They’ll be facing off this week against a struggling Calgary team that finds themselves already with as many losses as they had all of last season. QB Jake Maier has not taken the next step that they’d hoped he would, as his 65.3 overall grade is the fourth lowest among qualified quarterbacks. It’s unknown whether Collaros will play for Winnipeg in this game, but even if he doesn’t, Brown proved that he can handle the job. That just might be enough to send Calgary to yet another loss.

MATCHUP TO WATCH: LT STANLEY BRYANT, WINNIPEG VS. EDGE JULIAN HOWSARE, CALGARY
Howsare has quietly been one of the CFL's premier pass-rushers this season. His 82.8 pass rush grade ranks fourth in the league, and his 35 total pressures are fifth-most. He’ll have his work cut out for him lining up across from Bryant, though. It hasn’t been the dominant season of the past for Bryant, as his pass-blocking grade ranks eighth among tackles, but he’s still capable of big performances. The last time these two teams met, Howsare and Bryant matched up 12 times. Of those 12 reps, Bryant won every single one of them. If he can do that again and keep Howsare from generating any kind of pressure off the edge, it’ll be a much easier time for this Winnipeg offense.

PLAYER TO WATCH: RB BRADY OLIVEIRA, WINNIPEG
With Collaros' status up in the air, even if he plays in this game, you can expect a lot of Oliveira to lessen the passing load. Oliveira is one of the best running backs in the league, as evidenced by his 87.8 rushing grade. One of Oliveira’s best traits is his absolute refusal to not gain yards. He’s totaled 126 carries this year and has only been brought down for a loss or no gain eight times. That’s the best stuff rate percentage in the league. His ability to always put the Bombers offense in favorable positions is essential, and Calgary needs to figure out a way to slow him down if it wants to compete in this game.

Mocha
08-18-2023, 06:45 PM
I'm thinking that if the Stamps are to have any chance, they (A) have to establish their run game with Carey and Mills, and (B) have to get pressure on Dru Brown and try to force him into some big errors.

My money is still on the Bombers, though.

Mocha
08-18-2023, 09:33 PM
Stamps hanging in early, with good field position after that blocked punt.

We might have a decent game after all.

AngeloV
08-18-2023, 09:37 PM
I took the Stamps straight up on a hunch.

Mocha
08-18-2023, 10:16 PM
I took the Stamps straight up on a hunch.

Not a bad underdog pick. Dead even at the half. So far, Oliveira is winning the rushing battle, and I think that might be the difference in the second half.

Some dropped passes (and INT chance) have kept the score even.

kellynjk
08-19-2023, 01:02 AM
The Stamps defence was good at keeping the pressure on Brown, but their offence looked pretty ineffective. The commentators were saying that Calgary has only had 1 touchdown in their last 4 games. And I didn't think Maier looked impressive at all. And it's not all on him, there were alot of dropped passes (apparently Calgary has the most dropped passes of any team), but especially on the longer passes, he was either over-throwing them or under-throwing them, didn't look sharp at all. I don't think Calgary has a chance at being a contender this season if their offence doesn't improve alot!

AngeloV
08-19-2023, 08:16 AM
Not a bad underdog pick. Dead even at the half. So far, Oliveira is winning the rushing battle, and I think that might be the difference in the second half.

Some dropped passes (and INT chance) have kept the score even.

A few game changing plays in this one cost me. Obviously the pick 6, but a really bad drop by Luther Hakunavanhu turned a sure 7 points into 3. Jus too many mistakes, as the game was there for the taking.

gilthethrill
08-19-2023, 12:54 PM
Former Argo Shaquille “Shaq” Richardson was activated for Calgary and contributed with a Punt Block. Good to see a player of his caliber back in the league.

OV Argo
08-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Dru Brown brought back down to earth after his great game last outing; Stamps sat back deep in coverage and they have some good DBs, and Brown could not find wide-open receivers, like he did against ego-Jones' useless defence.

Missed FG by Paredes, dropped passes (Hakunavanhu could have likely scored) or else Stamps win this game; notice how the Bombers have more faith in their ground game; Dickenson just does not grasp running the ball lots - to make 1st downs or break some good to big gainers (which Carey is certainly capable of). Dickenson's limitations have cost the Stamps for years now IMO - he should be punted out of Cowtown, and now that he's GM plus HC & OC, their record looks good on him.

argolio
08-19-2023, 01:27 PM
Dickenson just does not grasp running the ball lots - to make 1st downs or break some good to big gainers (which Carey is certainly capable of). Dickenson's limitations have cost the Stamps for years now IMO - he should be punted out of Cowtown, and now that he's GM plus HC & OC, their record looks good on him.Strange argument. Oliveira had 14 carries, Carey+Mills had 15.

OV Argo
08-19-2023, 01:44 PM
Strange argument. Oliveira had 14 carries, Carey+Mills had 15.

It's more the timing and use of the run plays. Plus the Bummers O worked in numerous other run plays - like jet sweeps to receivers and they use Demski as a RB some. Dickenson thinks that a run play is only good for the odd change of pace on first down; and he doesn't grasp that a dangerous back like Carey is going to break some big gainers if he gets the ball a lot. He must have lost his mind temporarily in that win over the Argos (that likely doesn't happen if Kelly plays the whole game).

7dj83r8f78t4alf8