PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Ottawa at Edmonton Sunday August 27th

jerrym
08-26-2023, 01:57 PM
Can Tre Ford lead the Elks to two wins in a row and more importantly break the Elks North American pro sports home game losing record? I think he has a good chance of doing it.

ArgoRavi
08-27-2023, 12:30 AM
The Redblacks should be playing with a sense of urgency on Sunday, especially after the massive Ticats upset of BC.

Mocha
08-27-2023, 07:08 AM
OTTAWA REDBLACK VS. EDMONTON ELKS

It was a huge week for the Elks last week, as they finally broke into the win column for the first time this season. They’ll be looking to keep the good times rolling and finally end the dreaded home losing streak this week. But the Redblacks won’t go down so easily. Despite another solid week from rookie QB Dustin Crum in Week 11 (72.7 overall grade), the Redblacks lost again (four straight) and now sit dead last in the East at 3-7. This game will be a battle of the young quarterbacks, as Edmonton looks to have turned a corner under young Canadian QB Tre Ford, who was the highest-graded quarterback last week in Edmonton’s win. If he can keep that going, he could be the one to finally end the home drought.

MATCHUP TO WATCH:
LT DINO BOYD, OTTAWA VS. EDGE JAKE CERESNA, EDMONTON

It’s been a quieter season for Ceresna. He hasn’t quite been at that top level of pass-rushers in the CFL over this season, but he’s closing in. Over the past three games, Ceresna’s 14 total pressures lead the league. When he’s on his game, he’s one of the best pass-rushers in the game. He’ll see a lot of Boyd in this game. Boyd currently has a 59.2 pass-blocking grade, which is slightly below average. He’s allowed five sacks and 19 pressures but has lost 16 additional pass block reps. He’ll need to slow Ceresna down to give his quarterback time to read the defense if the Redblacks want to win this game and end the slide.

PLAYER TO WATCH:
QB TRE FORD, EDMONTON

In his first game, Ford played well enough to give Edmonton hope. In his second game, he played more than well enough and led his team to their first win of the season. What’s he going to do in his third? Ford has an 82.3% adjusted completion rate so far through his two games as the starter. He has four big-time throws already and has an 86.3 passing grade. Plus, Ford is creating damage with his feet. He’s averaging 8.2 yards per carry with 5.5 of those coming after first contact. He’s looking like a dual-threat quarterback who can do damage in the CFL. This game should do a lot to tell if it’s just a hot start, or if Ford really could possibly be the next great Canadian quarterback.

Mocha
08-27-2023, 07:11 AM
The Redblacks should be playing with a sense of urgency on Sunday, especially after the massive Ticats upset of BC.

That Sept. 8 Ottawa vs Hamilton game is looking bigger and bigger.

Ottawa still has Edmonton today and Hamilton has Toronto next week, but they could well be dead even for 3rd by then.

jerrym
08-27-2023, 08:37 AM
That Sept. 8 Ottawa vs Hamilton game is looking bigger and bigger.

Ottawa still has Edmonton today and Hamilton has Toronto next week, but they could well be dead even for 3rd by then.

Playing in Ottawa just four days after Hamilton played the Argos, while Ottawa has a bye week should be a big advantage for Ottawa.

jerrym
08-27-2023, 11:29 AM
Here's the injury report for the game:

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/08/23/redblacks-elks-injury-report-dandridge-addison-full-participants-on-wed/

Mocha
08-27-2023, 07:07 PM
So who will have more rush yards today--Ford or Crum?

Mocha
08-27-2023, 07:07 PM
Playing in Ottawa just four days after Hamilton played the Argos, while Ottawa has a bye week should be a big advantage for Ottawa.

That is a good point. They Redblacks should be well rested and healed up for that one.

Mocha
08-27-2023, 08:18 PM
So who will have more rush yards today--Ford or Crum?

Ford up 42 - 14 at the half.

But man, Crum's rushing yards tend to be tough yards right up the middle. Ford's speed gets him around the corner untouched.

jerrym
08-27-2023, 08:25 PM
Ford up 42 - 14 at the half.

But man, Crum's rushing yards tend to be tough yards right up the middle. Ford's speed gets him around the corner untouched.

And Ford is 9/11 for 174 yards passing along with a TD running and another passing. But most important the 17-5 lead. Can they break the 22 record home game losing streak?

gilthethrill
08-27-2023, 08:31 PM
Edmonton has to sign Jones to an extension.

jerrym
08-27-2023, 08:38 PM
Also important in Ford's success is his positive energy, such as running down the field to the end zone at high speed after a TD, that is obviously being transmitted to his teammates whereas Cornelius' body language with him repeatedly shaking his head negatively in his last start as the game wore on was obviously infecting his teammates.

Mocha
08-27-2023, 08:49 PM
And Ford starts off the second half with a nice TD drive (most of which I missed, damn it).

jerrym
08-27-2023, 10:01 PM
Ford stops the losing streak while going 15/18 for 317 yards passing and 10 rushes for 74 yards with one TD passing and one TD running!

Mocha
08-27-2023, 10:56 PM
Good to see the bottom-dwellers looking not as pathetic. Edmonton's next 2 against Calgary could be intense. I hope they at least win their home game in that series.

And maybe Ottawa will have to wait for Adams to get healthy before they can really get their hopes up again.

Will
08-28-2023, 08:51 AM
Happy for my Elks' fan friends who got to see their team win at home for the first time in ages.

ArgoRavi
08-28-2023, 10:54 AM
Tre Ford has played very well but let's also give Jarious Jackson some credit. The timing of Jackson's promotion to OC and Ford being named starting QB was quite fortuitous.

gilthethrill
08-28-2023, 01:01 PM
Tre Ford has played very well but let's also give Jarious Jackson some credit. The timing of Jackson's promotion to OC and Ford being named starting QB was quite fortuitous.

I wonder if Ford should have been the starting QB a tad bit earlier in the season?

ArgoRavi
08-28-2023, 03:39 PM
I wonder if Ford should have been the starting QB a tad bit earlier in the season?

It's possible that the half season observing was more beneficial for his development - much like Chad Kelly - than if he had been playing, especially in McAdoo's offensive system.

AngeloV
08-28-2023, 04:33 PM
Happy for my Elks' fan friends who got to see their team win at home for the first time in ages.

Boo. I never enjoy when a western team beats an eastern team, unless it benefits the Argos.

AngeloV
08-28-2023, 04:34 PM

McAdoo would have forced him into early retirement.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8