PDA

View Full Version : Rich Stubler Passes Away

Argo57
08-27-2023, 06:00 PM
Sad news today, Rich Stubler passes away at 74, a long and successful CFL career including 5 Grey Cup Championships.

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/27/long-time-cfl-defensive-coordinator-rich-stubler-dead-at-74/

jerrym
08-27-2023, 10:44 PM
I loved his bend but don't break defences that set a number of records.

RB957
08-27-2023, 11:14 PM
He was still coaching at 74 years of age. What love for the game.

Rich
08-28-2023, 12:57 AM
I loved his bend but don't break defences that set a number of records.

I’ll never forget the interview coming off the field after the 04 Cup, he was uncharacteristically laughing and smiling and he shouted “we proved again you can’t win in the CFL with a ball-control offence”.

He was intense but the players loved him, and I think he was ready to build something great here when he took over as HC in 08, until he got undercut by the team’s dilettante owner. Things could have been so different that year. Such a damn shame, and he never got a HC opportunity again.

Rest easy Stoobs, thanks for all those great Ds.

AngeloV
08-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Another sad day. Way too many of these lately between the 3 things I have followed for most of my life, Football, Hockey and Wrestling.
May he RIP.

jerrym
08-28-2023, 03:24 AM
Another sad day. Way too many of these lately between the 3 things I have followed for most of my life, Football, Hockey and Wrestling.
May he RIP.

It means you're getting older. Your kids likely don't recognize the names of many of these people, let alone have strong feelings for them. Of course, what am I saying. I even remember Tobin Rote's first year as an Argo, the last time the team started 6-0. To paraphrase the immortal Satchel Paige: "Don't look back, something is gaining on us".

Argo57
08-28-2023, 08:01 AM
It means you're getting older. Your kids likely don't recognize the names of many of these people, let alone have strong feelings for them. Of course, what am I saying. I even remember Tobin Rote's first year as an Argo, the last time the team started 6-0. To paraphrase the immortal Satchel Paige: "Don't look back, something is gaining on us".

Good advise Jerry!

Will
08-28-2023, 08:46 AM
Coached some very good defenses in the 2000's for the Argonauts. May he RIP.

ArgoRavi
08-28-2023, 10:48 AM
I’ll never forget the interview coming off the field after the 04 Cup, he was uncharacteristically laughing and smiling and he shouted “we proved again you can’t win in the CFL with a ball-control offence”.

He was intense but the players loved him, and I think he was ready to build something great here when he took over as HC in 08, until he got undercut by the team’s dilettante owner. Things could have been so different that year. Such a damn shame, and he never got a HC opportunity again.

Rest easy Stoobs, thanks for all those great Ds.

In 2008, the team, especially the defence, got old suddenly. That was the final year for many of the defensive greats such as O'Shea, Wheaton, Steinauer and others.

Stubler's first CFL job, interestingly enough, was with the 1983 Ticats who lost in, arguably, the greatest football game ever played - the 1983 East Final.

Sad to hear of Stubler's death yesterday. He definitely made a huge mark on Canadian professional football.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8