PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Toronto Argonauts @ Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Will
08-28-2023, 08:50 AM
The Big One (for them anyways) at Tim Hortons Field on Monday, September 4, 2023. I will be at Tim Hortons Field for this one!

Whereas the Argos on paper should win this game, we all know that weird things tend to happen on Labour Day.

RB957
08-28-2023, 09:51 AM
And Hamilton's win in B.C. was impressive. All three phases of the game came together. Labour Day game is going to be a good one, and while Argos should be favoured, they better be prepared.

gilthethrill
08-28-2023, 02:13 PM
I am told by a reliable source that Mondays game will not be brought to you by “ Marks” but by “OK Tire”….Not OK!

Skilz
08-28-2023, 04:07 PM
Roster Shuffle in the Secondary will be an interesting one. McFadden comes in. Either him and Stiggers move spots or one of Carnell/Priester is ready to go.

Haggerty injury could be serious, and Metchie is better at Safety than in the box. Do the Kitties run Butler free and or trust Powell to take shots at our secondary?

Would love to see Adeboboye get more carries to spell AJ and Harris. Harris is going to be needed in late October, so might as well try the Canadian backup now.

AngeloV
08-28-2023, 04:18 PM
Would love to see Adeboboye get more carries to spell AJ and Harris. Harris is going to be needed in late October, so might as well try the Canadian backup now.

using 3 ball carriers is a bit much. Especially with a guy like AJ, who gets stronger with each carry. His time will eventually come.

AngeloV
08-28-2023, 04:32 PM
There should be a lot of younger fans out to this game, being the only 1pm start this season. I understand the Argos will be hosting a lot of youngsters from Toronto Flag Football for this one. Awesome!!

OV Argo
08-28-2023, 06:33 PM
Roster Shuffle in the Secondary will be an interesting one. McFadden comes in. Either him and Stiggers move spots or one of Carnell/Priester is ready to go.

Haggerty injury could be serious, and Metchie is better at Safety than in the box. Do the Kitties run Butler free and or trust Powell to take shots at our secondary?

Their success last game was a mixture of lots of run game with Butler (a decent back but quite over-rated by some IMO) and safe, short passing and Powell did very well with that. The Argo D is better than BC's IMO, but I wish Muamba could be activated to smack Butler hard. They still have Tim White and the new guy Godwin as potential deep threats, but wether Powell has it to air out deep is another matter.

Agreed on Adeboboye - just to add as much offensive diversity as possible, and he might be able to spring 20 plus gainers better than Harris or Ouellette; but most CFL offences just don't see the potential of lots of ground game possibly resulting in big chunk gains (though they are often good with 5 or 6 yard pass plays ???).

Funny how things can change in a football season - a few weeks ago I would have said the Argos throttle the Ticats; but after the last game where the Stamps had tons of offence on the Argo D, and then Ticats going into BC and winning (after losing at home to the Elks ???) - anything can happen, I guess. Very good teams make statement wins though.

Mocha
08-28-2023, 06:54 PM
Ticats looked solid against BC. Hope the Argos don't take them lightly here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4omM_qW4AAxpMj?format=webp&name=small

RB957
08-28-2023, 09:10 PM
There should be a lot of younger fans out to this game, being the only 1pm start this season. I understand the Argos will be hosting a lot of youngsters from Toronto Flag Football for this one. Awesome!!

You mean for the Sept 9 home game vs. the Alouettes, correct?

ArgoRavi
08-28-2023, 09:53 PM

While I believe that Priester and Carnell are progressing, I would be surprised to see Priester in the lineup on Labour Day and I am almost certain that we won't see Carnell as I don't believe that he has started practising yet.

AngeloV
08-29-2023, 01:46 AM
You mean for the Sept 9 home game vs. the Alouettes, correct?

yes, sorry. Got a little ahead of myself.

Rich
08-29-2023, 02:04 AM
Now that the Cats finally have a real OC I expect them to move the ball well even with a rookie QB.

But it won’t matter because nobody’s been able to really stop Kelly’s Heroes yet, this offence simply outscores all comers, and I don’t expect that to change Monday.

RB957
08-29-2023, 11:32 AM
Now that the Cats finally have a real OC I expect them to move the ball well even with a rookie QB.

But it won’t matter because nobody’s been able to really stop Kelly’s Heroes yet, this offence simply outscores all comers, and I don’t expect that to change Monday.

Except that we as fans, and perhaps the Argos themselves, may have come to expect and believe that Kelly will throw us out of all trouble. True, he has made amazing throws for big gains, but I personally would like to see longer and sustained drives, rather than a few quick hitters, as exciting as that is. When playoff times come, one of the best things we can do against a good offence, is simply keep them off the field with a long drive. It would also keep our defensive players fresh. As for the D, I hope that coverage in the backfield tightens up, or that we are able to put enough pressure on Powell that he doesn't get time to let the longer passing routes develop. I thought in the Calgary game we had pretty good pressure, but were just a fraction of a second late.

Waffle
08-31-2023, 07:14 PM
The injury report for the game is out. Robert Priester was listed as DNP.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/08/31/argos-ticats-injury-reports-amos-sits-out-sayles-limited-on-thursday/

I (https://www.cfl.ca/2023/08/31/argos-ticats-injury-reports-amos-sits-out-sayles-limited-on-thursday/) haven't seen any info posted anywhere detailing what Amos' injury actually was. On the field it looked like they thought he had a fracture, but the injury report just lists him as DNP.

paulwoods13
08-31-2023, 07:24 PM
I haven't seen any info posted anywhere detailing what Amos' injury actually was. On the field it looked like they thought he had a fracture, but the injury report just lists him as DNP.

Dislocated ankle, I believe.

Will
08-31-2023, 08:12 PM
Dislocated ankle, I believe.

I saw dislocated ankle as well.

It would be ideal if Robert Priester or Maurice Carnell IV were ready to return to the lineup soon.

Mocha
08-31-2023, 08:41 PM
The PFF preview:

TORONTO ARGONAUTS VS. HAMILTON TIGER-CATSWhat a Week 12 it was for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, as they not only upset the heavily favored BC Lions, but they did so in dominant fashion with a 30-13 win. QB Taylor Powell played a safe game (69.9 passing grade, no turnover-worthy plays or big-time throws), and they leaned heavily on top running back James Butler, who did not let them down. They’ll have their work cut out for them this week as they take on the top-seeded Toronto Argonauts. The Argos are coming off a big win over the Calgary Stampeders last week and will look to lean on do-it-all RB A.J. Ouellette, who currently has an 89.6 overall grade on the season. That’s better than any player not named Chad Kelly. Toronto is rightfully favored in this Labor Day showdown, but Hamilton is more than capable of pulling off another big upset.

MATCHUP TO WATCH:
WR DAMONTE COXIE, TORONTO VS. CB RICHARD LEONARD, HAMILTON It’s been a tough season for Coxie, as injuries have plagued what could have been a breakout sophomore season for the receiver. Last week saw a big return for him, as he caught three passes for 102 yards and a touchdown, one of them a contested catch. He’s a tough big-bodied receiver that’s hard to cover. That’s where Leonard will come in. An undersized defender, Leonard started the year as a halfback but has since switched over to outside corner, and it’s been a revelation. Since he made the switch in Week 8, his 83.1 coverage grade is second among outside corners. Quarterbacks have a 46.8 passer rating when targeting him. It won’t be easy to shut down Coxie, but Leonard has proven he can step up and succeed.

PLAYER TO WATCH:
QB CHAD KELLY, TORONTOAs we enter the home stretch of the season, Kelly is once again PFF’s highest-graded player at 90.3 overall. His 16 big-time throws rank third in the league, and his 57.4% deep ball-adjusted completion rate ranks second. Kelly is also one of the best running quarterbacks in the league (80.8 rushing grade). He doesn’t run a lot but when he does, it’s with purpose and almost always comes at a crucial time. Kelly is putting together an MOP-level season, and he’s the player to watch every week for this elite Argonauts team.

jerrym
09-02-2023, 03:37 PM
I always get nervous about the Labour Day game when the Argos are way ahead in the standings compared to Hamilton. It always seems to motivate both their fans and players to an extra effort to overcome their inferiority complex when it comes to Toronto in general and the Argos in particular. I can recall many a Labour Day victory by Hamilton over an Argo team with more talent because of this.

"Issues"Mcgee
09-02-2023, 06:28 PM
Normally I am all about sportsmanship and maintaining the integrity of the game, but that all goes out the window on Labour Day.

Kill Hamilton on the scoreboard, destroy them on the field and mess with them in between plays.

Will
09-03-2023, 09:50 AM
I always get nervous about the Labour Day game when the Argos are way ahead in the standings compared to Hamilton. It always seems to motivate both their fans and players to an extra effort to overcome their inferiority complex when it comes to Toronto in general and the Argos in particular. I can recall many a Labour Day victory by Hamilton over an Argo team with more talent because of this.

For every 1991 and 2005, there's also a 1996, 1997, 2006 and 2007. I still hear you though on this, it's always an anxious time.

paulwoods13
09-03-2023, 11:10 AM
McFadden replaces Amos, with newcomer Mason Pearce backing up the DBs along with Edouard. Harry does not get on the roster this week.

On offence, Nield and Giffen come into the lineup. Richards sits. Phillips is listed as a GTD; presumably if he can't go, either Haydel or Byrd will draw in.

gilthethrill
09-03-2023, 12:38 PM
McFadden replaces Amos, with newcomer Mason Pearce backing up the DBs along with Edouard. Harry does not get on the roster this week.

On offence, Nield and Giffen come into the lineup. Richards sits. Phillips is listed as a GTD; presumably if he can't go, either Haydel or Byrd will draw in.

No surprise Amos is out….but I am surprised he has not been 6 gamed. Good to see Giffen back in, he seemed to be coming into his own before his injury. If Phillps cant go, I hope to see Neild start ahead of Haydel.

ArgoFan1
09-03-2023, 10:51 PM
Anyone looking for one ticket ??? I have four, but one guy had to cancel. Good seats in row 13 around the 25 yard line, across the field from the Ticat bench.
If anyone sees this in time and wishes to join us at the game, please call me at 416-884-0645. We go early to tailgate. I can transfer the ticket to you, or you can meet up with us to go in together.

Argo57
09-04-2023, 10:59 AM
I always hope for best but expect the worst on Labour Day games.
Here’s hoping the Argos D has a great game and dominates the Tiger Cats.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 04:15 PM
The Kelly quick strike TD to Daniels to make it 17-0 after the INT is starting to make this like a rout. Love it!

kellynjk
09-04-2023, 04:32 PM
The Argos are looking good, but Hamilton seems abit flat this week, especially after how good they looked against BC last week.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 04:59 PM
Another dumb challenge with little probability of success and not a critical play by Dinwiddie - the one thing he's bad at.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Orimolade have great game with 2 DT including one chasing down the RB way downfield and a sack as well.

OV Argo
09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Great 1st quarter but the Argos seem to be taking their foot off the gas or losing intensity in the 2nd ?

What happened to J. Peters? - tough spot for a raw rookie Pierce to go in - and he looked lost in coverage (bailed out by McFadden on one play) and whiffed on a chance to tackle Butler who jumped over. Long term injuries to the very talented Argo secondary could be costly.

Argos1983
09-04-2023, 05:30 PM
Argos playing “poorly” now since the first quarter ended - all wind related?!

Let’s see if they do what a good team does and find a way to win. They've done it all year other than the one game where Kelly was injured.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 05:36 PM
The Argos are looking good, but Hamilton seems abit flat this week, especially after how good they looked against BC last week.

From the second half kickoff's good return, Hamilton OL has been charging off the ball well opening holes up for Butler as they marched down the field and combined with Powell's passing got a TD. Argos need to find the energy level they had early in the game.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 05:45 PM
Leake gave the Argos great field position again after the Tiger Cat TD. I hope the Argos take advantage of it.

Argos1983
09-04-2023, 05:50 PM
That’s the drive of a very good team…..

jerrym
09-04-2023, 05:51 PM
Steinauer once again shows he is much better than than Dinwiddie at challenges.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 06:00 PM
Ouellette provides the energy on the TD drive that ends with with a five yard pass to Coxie.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 06:02 PM
This is turning into an interesting game with the McAllister return after the Coxie TD and the slow start to the game for Hamilton leading to a FG.

Argos1983
09-04-2023, 06:08 PM
Argos doing what needs to be done.

Win one of the next two against Mtl and you can book Nov 12th at BMO field. If the Argos get to 10-1 or even 10-2 and have the tie breaker (obviously one win in the next two does that), it will be done by Oct 6 against Edmonton at the latest.

I am as confident watching this team this year as any since 1996-1997.

Stay healthy for November guys - that’s what this season is about frankly at this point.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 06:10 PM
Love the Harris/Ouellette drive on the Argo TD. They have been key to the Argo success all season.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 06:22 PM
Tim White keeping Ticats slim chances alive with a TD and 100+ yards receiving.

jerrym
09-04-2023, 06:26 PM
Ouellette the Terminator puts the Hammer to Hamilton's chances with a TD pass!

kellynjk
09-04-2023, 06:36 PM
Oh my goodness, didn't see that play coming (Ouellette to Brissett) !!!!Ha, ha!! It's great to see this team having so much fun, while winning so many games!!!

TrueBlueGuy
09-04-2023, 07:05 PM
Argos doing what needs to be done.

Win one of the next two against Mtl and you can book Nov 12th at BMO field. If the Argos get to 10-1 or even 10-2 and have the tie breaker (obviously one win in the next two does that), it will be done by Oct 6 against Edmonton at the latest.

I am as confident watching this team this year as any since 1996-1997.

Stay healthy for November guys - that’s what this season is about frankly at this point.

very well said...agree 100%

TrueBlueGuy
09-04-2023, 07:08 PM
Oh my goodness, didn't see that play coming (Ouellette to Brissett) !!!!Ha, ha!! It's great to see this team having so much fun, while winning so many games!!!

there will be a very big demand for video-clip of AJ in the end-zone with "the hammer"...Classic!
Great 2nd half, awful 2nd Qtr., still have got to put a full game together, but keep it rolling guys. We believe in you!

kellynjk
09-04-2023, 07:18 PM
Agree, they played a great second half and looked pretty good in the first quarter, but it's like they lost their concentration or something in second quarter. Hope everyone stays healthy - that's the problem with giving a team all their bi-weeks in the first part of the season!

TrueBlueGuy
09-04-2023, 07:23 PM
two in-a-row on L-Day in Hamilton! thank you Argos
feels so good after losing 8 straight, 2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2021 and hearing "Argos Suck" over & over, we do not forget those days.
When our Argos win there twice, man we've got to savour it, feels so good.

Argo57
09-04-2023, 07:34 PM
two in-a-row on L-Day in Hamilton! thank you Argos
feels so good after losing 8 straight, 2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2021 and hearing "Argos Suck" over & over, we do not forget those days.
When our Argos win there twice, man we've got to savour it, feels so good.

A lot of knuckles dragging on the way out of Tim Hortons Field today, what a shame.
Great to win another Labour Day game in Hamilton, you never know heading into these games.
Enjoyed hosting AV, his brother Mike and argolio at the homestead.
Looking forward to Saturday’s game!

Waffle
09-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Gutsy perfomance by the big guys up front in the heat in Hamilton.
I am not sure why the offence disappeared in the second quarter, but mostly a good game, especially by the defence.
I hope the defensive line guys can heal up a bit before the next game against Montreal.
Chad Kelly is due for a big game. Go Argos!

AngeloV
09-04-2023, 09:38 PM
A lot of knuckles dragging on the way out of Tim Hortons Field today, what a shame.
Great to win another Labour Day game in Hamilton, you never know heading into these games.
Enjoyed hosting AV, his brother Mike and argolio at the homestead.
Looking forward to Saturday’s game!

Thanks again for having us. It was a great get together as always, made even better with the affection from your beautiful puppy Luna.

Will
09-05-2023, 07:29 AM
Kelly struggled going into the wind in that 2nd quarter.

bluto
09-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Kelly struggled going into the wind in that 2nd quarter.

The "curse" of having a QB with a combination of great self-belief and a strong arm. He doesn't seem to know that he is allowed to check down rather than push the ball 30 yards into the wind and double coverage.

paulwoods13
09-05-2023, 08:11 AM

This is essentially correct. Argos would clinch a playoff spot this week if they win and Hamilton loses. Beating Mtl this week (or next) would also make it just about impossible for the Als to catch them in the standings. The sooner they can wrap things up, the sooner they can start strategically resting guys.

bluto
09-05-2023, 10:29 AM
Would love to be in a position to start some strategic resting. Particulairly on road games.

ArgoZ
09-05-2023, 10:53 AM
The "curse" of having a QB with a combination of great self-belief and a strong arm. He doesn't seem to know that he is allowed to check down rather than push the ball 30 yards into the wind and double coverage.

This is where MBT excelled. He protected the ball, too well at times. Usually made the smart, safe decision, however when there was deep chances, he would often completely miss the man with his eyes or arm. Kelly seems the exact opposite and the good thing is with time he can learn to be more patient.

paulwoods13
09-05-2023, 12:13 PM
This is essentially correct. Argos would clinch a playoff spot this week if they win and Hamilton loses. Beating Mtl this week (or next) would also make it just about impossible for the Als to catch them in the standings. The sooner they can wrap things up, the sooner they can start strategically resting guys.

It seems I neglected to factor in Ottawa, which at least in theory could still catch or surpass the Argos (although it would take both a miracle and an unfathomable collapse). Even if Ottawa did somehow win all of its remaining games, it's hard to see how Montreal -- which plays Ottawa twice -- or Hamilton would also be able to pass Toronto. Bottom line, I believe Toronto is almost certain to finish first if it splits with Montreal. Winning this week (or Hamilton losing) would definitely clinch a playoff spot, and if that happens the Argos will probably be no more than one more win away from clinching a home playoff game, and maybe two more wins from clinching first place. [But who knows -- this makes my head hurt.]

Waffle
09-05-2023, 12:35 PM
I agree. Hopefully the Argos can get a split with Montreal. If the Argos can finish first and get the bye into the division championship game, the fans won't care what their record actually is. Better to get the players healthy than to chase some historical won/loss record.

It seems like the defensive line guys are more banged up than the offensive line guys (who had another great game against Hamilton), so its the offence that needs to carry the team through at least one more win.

Rich
09-05-2023, 02:39 PM
I think it’s nuts to consider resting healthy guys with six weeks still to play. I wouldn’t want to mess with the winning chemistry, the winning edge, that we have worked so hard to establish so far this year. There’s still plenty of room for improvement on both sides of the ball. Coasting into the playoffs for six weeks sounds to me like a recipe for disaster.

paulwoods13
09-05-2023, 03:34 PM
I think it’s nuts to consider resting healthy guys with six weeks still to play. I wouldn’t want to mess with the winning chemistry, the winning edge, that we have worked so hard to establish so far this year. There’s still plenty of room for improvement on both sides of the ball. Coasting into the playoffs for six weeks sounds to me like a recipe for disaster.

This is why it needs to be done strategically. Give every key player a game off if possible at some point. If spaced out by position and health status, the team's depth should allow it to remain competitive even in games that don't matter. They were already doing this earlier this year with the three DTs (until Brinkman got hurt) and I see little downside to letting backups get worked into other positions once playoff position has been established. It's an opportunity to test guys who have played little (if at all) but might be needed before the year is over, and to provide an extra "bye" in the midst of 10 games in 10 weeks. I can't see how they will maintain a competitive edge to season's end if they have first place clinched with five or six weeks to go, which is entirely possible. But guys who are on IR or PR, or seldom used on O or D, would come in hungry for an opportunity.

Argo57
09-05-2023, 04:56 PM
Thanks again for having us. It was a great get together as always, made even better with the affection from your beautiful puppy Luna.

The pup is a piece of work.

Rich
09-05-2023, 05:41 PM
I can't see how they will maintain a competitive edge to season's end if they have first place clinched with five or six weeks to go, which is entirely possible.

They look like they are already motivated by trying to have one of the greatest seasons in League history, as they should be.

Rich
09-05-2023, 05:49 PM
I agree. Hopefully the Argos can get a split with Montreal. If the Argos can finish first and get the bye into the division championship game, the fans won't care what their record actually is. Better to get the players healthy than to chase some historical won/loss record.

I disagree. I say it’s better to create an aura of invincibility than to coast meekly into the playoffs. Better for team confidence, and better for attracting more new fans to the playoff run.

paulwoods13
09-05-2023, 06:51 PM
They look like they are already motivated by trying to have one of the greatest seasons in League history, as they should be.

If that was truly a group priority, don't you think they'd step on the throats of opponents when they are down, rather than easing off the gas for two quarters? Also, wanting a historic won-loss record seems distinctly at odds with the oft-stated "1-0" mantra.

OV Argo
09-05-2023, 09:25 PM

Yeah ! - love to see it.

They are being challenged by some injuries - like Brinkman and in the secondary. But they can still look to play great football and possibly go a season with just one or two losses. Lots of depth on this team - receivers, O-line, RB - so work that smartly and still play at a very high level. Not sure what the story is on Henoc, but if he could come back, and sooner than later, that adds a key, veteran player to help make the D even better for down the stretch. Coasting into first place would be nice, but resting too many guys and not maintaining the edge as a dominant team might not be good for the play-offs. But I would definitely sit Kelly and a bunch of other key starters for the last reg. season game if it is meaningless in the standings. Looking forward to a back-to-back smack down of an average at best Als team.

Waffle
09-05-2023, 10:15 PM
No one seems too worried that bye weeks take away the "winning edge" from teams and I have never seen any stats that suggest teams coming off bye weeks do more poorly than teams playing several games in a row. Everyone knows that the Argos will be playing several weekly games without a break to end the season.

I don't think anyone has suggested that the Argos rest all their starters for a game or more, only "strategically resting" a player or two here and there. Apparently the hot weather is supposed to persist in southern Ontario, and some of the Argos linemen looked pretty tired out at the end of the Hamilton game so I wonder how much will be taken out of them if the Montreal game is that hot.

Stevoman
09-05-2023, 11:45 PM
So great to see this team go 9-1. Also happy to see this uniform combo. Probably my favourite of the season so far (except for all the players not wearing socks...but I get it...it was hot!)

Rich
09-06-2023, 01:21 AM
If that was truly a group priority, don't you think they'd step on the throats of opponents when they are down, rather than easing off the gas for two quarters?

I think if they could step on opponents’ throats they would, but they’re not quite there yet. Becoming a dominant team takes time and I’m sure they’re working on closing games better and faster.

Rich
09-06-2023, 01:24 AM
So great to see this team go 9-1. Also happy to see this uniform combo. Probably my favourite of the season so far (except for all the players not wearing socks...but I get it...it was hot!)

I agree completely, its was a classic old-school look, and we’ve all seen them get killed on LD wearing unis similar to those, making this win just that little bit sweeter.

Rich
09-06-2023, 01:52 AM
No one seems too worried that bye weeks take away the "winning edge" from teams and I have never seen any stats that suggest teams coming off bye weeks do more poorly than teams playing several games in a row. Everyone knows that the Argos will be playing several weekly games without a break to end the season.

No but you can’t lose a game in a bye week, and losing a game puts a dent in your “winning edge”.

I agree with the idea of strategically resting players. I just don’t agree with the idea that wins and losses don’t matter if we clinched 1st, and I would bet that many players and fans don’t agree either.

Every athlete grows up dreaming about being on a team that wins all its games. For the players it’s a once-in-a-career chance to not just live the dream, but to leave a mark in the record books for all time.

As a fan of this team for many, many years — watching many, many shitty Argonaut seasons — it would make me very very happy to see the most wins by an Argonaut team ever. And of course another Cup. ;-)

Waffle
09-06-2023, 03:37 AM
The Argos have won all their games after a bye week. They didn't loose their winning edge after they lost in Calgary.

The Argos have rotated players into and out of the lineup all year, so some players have sat out games already.

I do agree that sitting out some players is bad for the fans, but if some guy is nicked up and an extra week of less contact will get them healthier for championship games, I would not be disappointed about it. I would certainly agree that sitting out players in the division final in anticipation that you are going to be in the Grey Cup game would be a terrible idea.

If the Argos continue to be successful it will be interesting to see how the coaches handle it.

Long time Argo fans haven't forgotten 1982 (Argos finished first and lost the Grey Cup game).

paulwoods13
09-06-2023, 07:23 AM
I agree with the idea of strategically resting players. I just don’t agree with the idea that wins and losses don’t matter if we clinched 1st, and I would bet that many players and fans don’t agree either.

I guarantee that even when/if they start resting guys because first place is clinched, Dinwiddie and staff will be expecting players to play to win, and players themselves will feel the same way. No matter who's in the lineup, and with the talent and depth this team has, there's no reason they can't play to win even when giving a few guys a rest.

It's also worth noting that of the five really dominant regular-season teams in the past five decades, only two of them won the Eastern Final easily. They were life and death to win in 1983 and 1997, and lost in 1988.

argolio
09-06-2023, 10:11 PM
Thanks again for having us. It was a great get together as always, made even better with the affection from your beautiful puppy Luna.^ What he said.

Dog beat me two out of three falls.

AngeloV
09-06-2023, 11:39 PM
Every athlete grows up dreaming about being on a team that wins all its games. For the players it’s a once-in-a-career chance to not just live the dream, but to leave a mark in the record books for all time.

Kind of a moot point, since they can't win all their game this year, no?

Anyway, I am glad their last 2 games are on the road. This way, it won't sting so much when they sit a lot of their starters should they clinch early. Always sucks when that happens at a home game.

Rich
09-07-2023, 12:23 AM
Kind of a moot point, since they can't win all their game this year, no?

Losing one, or even two games, is still quite historic and a once-in-a-career thing, no?

AngeloV
09-07-2023, 01:17 AM
Losing one, or even two games, is still quite historic and a once-in-a-career thing, no?

Of course it would be nice, but I would rather lose 4 or 5 and win the Cup. I'm sure the Bombers would have made that trade last year.

bluto
09-07-2023, 07:49 AM
Of course it would be nice, but I would rather lose 4 or 5 and win the Cup. I'm sure the Bombers would have made that trade last year.
Boy howdy!

AngeloV
09-07-2023, 09:56 AM
Boy howdy!

And Hamilton in 2019, but that would have destroyed our taunts of them not winning this century.

bluto
09-07-2023, 10:29 AM
And Hamilton in 2019, but that would have destroyed our taunts of them not winning this century.

Flutie forbid.

Mocha
09-07-2023, 05:56 PM
Our three guys who came out on top of the Pro Stats Canada rankings for Week 13:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5bpZ2-bUAA0uDR?format=webp&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5bhv7oasAAMTbE?format=webp&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5bedh9boAA4tWk?format=webp&name=small

ArgoRavi
09-07-2023, 10:28 PM

It's amazing that the Ticats were 15-3 with Dane Evans at QB for most of the season.

Will
09-08-2023, 08:45 AM
It's amazing that the Ticats were 15-3 with Dane Evans at QB for most of the season.

He played well that season.

ArgoRavi
09-08-2023, 04:06 PM
He played well that season.

He was supposed to be the next big thing at QB.

Argo57
09-08-2023, 05:51 PM
^ What he said.

Dog beat me two out of three falls.

It was the second side suplex that did you in.

Will
09-08-2023, 05:56 PM
It was the second side suplex that did you in.

Would Dino Bravo have been proud of the side suplex?

Argo57
09-08-2023, 06:07 PM
Would Dino Bravo have been proud of the side suplex?

100%!

argolio
09-09-2023, 10:46 AM
It was the second side suplex that did you in.I should have taken more vitamins.

AngeloV
09-09-2023, 10:49 AM
I should have taken more vitamins.

And said your prayers BROTHER.

TrueBlueGuy
09-09-2023, 09:52 PM
The Argos have won all their games after a bye week. They didn't loose their winning edge after they lost in Calgary.

The Argos have rotated players into and out of the lineup all year, so some players have sat out games already.

I do agree that sitting out some players is bad for the fans, but if some guy is nicked up and an extra week of less contact will get them healthier for championship games, I would not be disappointed about it. I would certainly agree that sitting out players in the division final in anticipation that you are going to be in the Grey Cup game would be a terrible idea.

If the Argos continue to be successful it will be interesting to see how the coaches handle it.

Long time Argo fans haven't forgotten 1982 (Argos finished first and lost the Grey Cup game).

and as for the young-uns, remember 2021 finished first and blew the East Final on BMO Field.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8