PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Montreal Alouettes @ Toronto Argonauts

Will
09-06-2023, 08:12 AM
Let's get that playoff berth clinched.

AngeloV
09-06-2023, 11:43 PM
Going to be tough one on a short week, but hey, we don't get it as bad as Hamilton who plays with 3 days between games against a team coming off a bye. As I have said all year, the schedule maker was on drugs this year.

bluto
09-07-2023, 07:51 AM
Going to be tough one on a short week, but hey, we don't get it as bad as Hamilton who plays with 3 days between games against a team coming off a bye. As I have said all year, the schedule maker was on drugs this year.

EDIT: I had a jpeg of the guy from Airplane sniffing glue here... not sure what happened to it
http://www.argofans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1016&stc=1

Will
09-07-2023, 08:58 AM

The Riders, Bombers, Elks and Stampeders all get to have a return match-up and thus no advantage in terms of days' rest. Why do Toronto and Hamilton get screwed over in that department?

AngeloV
09-07-2023, 09:54 AM
The Riders, Bombers, Elks and Stampeders all get to have a return match-up and thus no advantage in terms of days' rest. Why do Toronto and Hamilton get screwed over in that department?

This probably should have been a week in which there were 3 teams getting byes, but in the League's infinite wisdom, they chose the last 2 weeks of the season to have 3 teams get byes.

ArgoRavi
09-07-2023, 10:29 PM

If there was ever a "gimme" game, the Redblacks get one tomorrow. If they somehow lose however, they're done.

Will
09-08-2023, 08:44 AM
The Argonauts defeated the Tiger-Cats on Labour Day last year and then had to travel to Ottawa to play a road game on Saturday afternoon, which they also won. The Redblacks had played the Friday of the Labour Day weekend. I won't dispute that the way the schedule fell was not ideal, but we have precedent that the Argos can overcome the challenge.

paulwoods13
09-08-2023, 10:21 AM
As onerous obstacles go, this really isn't one. Argos have slept in their own beds (or somewhere they chose to be during bye week) since Aug. 5. Playing five days after a game when there's no travel involved is arguably a lot easier that two travel games a week apart.

paulwoods13
09-08-2023, 11:18 AM
Only one lineup change, but it is a significant one. John Haggerty has been six-gamed, so Bede is doing all three kicking duties (and will have a new holder) for the foreseeable future. Bede is a more than adequate punter, but it was great to have Haggerty handling that chore so BB could concentrate of placements and kickoffs.

Tigie Sankoh replaces Haggerty on the game roster as an extra DB. Mason Pierce (who IMO struggled at times last week) remains our only backup INT in the secondary.

Will
09-08-2023, 12:21 PM
My guess is that they now feel confident enough in Haggerty's replacement to six-game John so as to not spend a roster spot on someone who is just holding.

argolio
09-08-2023, 02:02 PM
This probably should have been a week in which there were 3 teams getting byes, but in the League's infinite wisdom, they chose the last 2 weeks of the season to have 3 teams get byes.I wonder if the league decided to end the regular season schedule that way in case any games had to be postponed. Apparently the EDM-CGY game was in doubt due to poor air quality.

AngeloV
09-08-2023, 02:23 PM
I wonder if the league decided to end the regular season schedule that way in case any games had to be postponed. Apparently the EDM-CGY game was in doubt due to poor air quality.

I guess that's a possibility. I just don't think they thought about that when the schedule was put together.

OV Argo
09-08-2023, 02:38 PM
Only one lineup change, but it is a significant one. John Haggerty has been six-gamed, so Bede is doing all three kicking duties (and will have a new holder) for the foreseeable future. Bede is a more than adequate punter, but it was great to have Haggerty handling that chore so BB could concentrate of placements and kickoffs.

Tigie Sankoh replaces Haggerty on the game roster as an extra DB. Mason Pierce (who IMO struggled at times last week) remains our only backup INT in the secondary.

"at times" ? - is a bit of an under-statement IMO; hopefully, the starters stay healthy.

jerrym
09-08-2023, 03:34 PM
Here is the Argos' depth chart.
https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2016/06/Week-14-vs.-MTL-September-9-2023-PDF.pdf

jerrym
09-08-2023, 03:35 PM
The Als depth chart is below:

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2023/09/GAME-12-MONTREAL-DEPTH-CHART.pdf

ArgoRavi
09-08-2023, 04:03 PM
My guess is that they now feel confident enough in Haggerty's replacement to six-game John so as to not spend a roster spot on someone who is just holding.

I saw someone on social media mention that David Ungerer was practising being the holder a couple of weeks ago so I wonder if he will take over the position. It would make more sense to me though to have one of the backup QBs do it, if they can, in case Ungerer gets injured as a receiver.

Shatto
09-08-2023, 10:48 PM
The Argo depth chart appears to be quite strong. Barlow is dressing again and IMO even though Costigan has played well, I think the team is stronger with Barlow in the lineup. With Haggerty not dressed the team has dressed Global player Sankoh at safety instead. Though most Global players, who are not kickers, have not really impressed, Sankoh has the physical abilities to be able to contribute.

Argo57
09-09-2023, 08:38 AM
The Argo depth chart appears to be quite strong. Barlow is dressing again and IMO even though Costigan has played well, I think the team is stronger with Barlow in the lineup. With Haggerty not dressed the team has dressed Global player Sankoh at safety instead. Though most Global players, who are not kickers, have not really impressed, Sankoh has the physical abilities to be able to contribute.

Barlow had a strong game this past Monday, very impressive closing speed for a D Lineman.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 02:39 PM
Cassar who is highly underrated on the ST and as a sub IMO recovers fumble on kickoff setting Argos up for a quick second TD.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 02:40 PM
And AJ's power shines through in two broken tackles run that he has patented for a TD.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 02:44 PM
Fajardo looking a lot better in his passing than in his last game as he leads Als to a quick response TD and subsequent completions.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 02:49 PM
Not looking good with Robertson Daniel needing help in gingerly walking off the field. We can't keep losing DBs.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 02:51 PM
I wonder if the Argos will suffer an undue number of injuries in the second half of the season as they have played all their byes and may wear down to some extent with constant play as the playoffs approach.

Argos1983
09-09-2023, 03:05 PM
They win this week (seems pretty likely at this point), and next week in Montreal and they would clinch first earlier than ever I would imagine - mid-September (after only 12 games)?!

We can protect players then for a month or two, and give weeks off to those that need them. Even with a potential loss next week, they should clinch first by early October at the very latest. It’s going to be time to start focusing on November 12th sooner than later.

It’s such a joy to watch this group this year. Just keep the main guys healthy for November.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 03:07 PM
Glad to see Boris back punting and kicking FGs, as well as punting. He is also the best kicker at stopping kick returners getting away to score when he's the last man before the end zone, something he did again today. I still prefer Boris over Haggerty as a punter.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 03:16 PM
Kelly's running, including his short 4 yard burst for a TD, ads a dimension to the Argo QB's game not there with MBT.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 03:29 PM
AJ knocks Lemon out of the way like a bowling pin on the way to his second TD.

OV Argo
09-09-2023, 03:35 PM
A statement game to pummel the 2nd place Als - was needed IMO, and looks like could happen.

Chad Kelly, under the direction of coach Dinwiddie, is making mince-meat of wimpy, soft zone CFL defences that are so common in the copy-cat league now. Spreads the ball all over the field, and to all his receiver options; mix that in with a good, applied ground game, and the Argos are the best offence in the league IMO. Tommy Nield emerges today as another very good receiver option.

A bit worried with the secondary having another injury (sending in that raw rookie Pierce who is basically useless), but hopefully they find the right depth there; they let Fajardo complete a lot of short passes, but with not much damage being done.

IF the Argos O & D ever put great games together on the same game day, I can't see another CFL team capable of beating them, except maybe the Bombers if Collaros is really on.

Waffle
09-09-2023, 03:47 PM
Great game by the Argos both offensively and defensively.

Very few penalties, and they won the turnover battle by a large margin. The line play was once again very good.

I can't remember a season where opposing quarterbacks routinely complete over 75% of their passes and still loose the game. Its amazing.

Argos1983
09-09-2023, 03:52 PM
Would be great to have a month or two to sell the November 12th game and really try to make it an event - Toronto loves when something is an “event” - this team deserves a big crowd and they need to pull out all the stops to try to get them a big crowd on the 12th. The die-hards can maybe get them to 20K (sadly the Argos have an aging fan base) - they need to do something to appeal to the non-traditional Argos audience and show them what a great team and great product this team is.

I appreciate after 5 decades of watching this team that any “bump” is temporary and even the 1996-1997 all time teams did not draw well either - but if any team deserves a big crowd it’s this one!

Arrrrrrgooooos!!!

paulwoods13
09-09-2023, 04:30 PM
Going 1-0 next Friday clinches first place with six games remaining. Amazing.

jerrym
09-09-2023, 05:07 PM
Tommy Nield with 84 yards on six catches in seven attempts showed he is a great backup who could step in if someone went down and adding depth in yet another position.

SkalbaniasGhost
09-09-2023, 07:30 PM
Tommy Nield emerges today as another very good receiver option.
He's got a future in this league.

A bit worried with the secondary having another injury (sending in that raw rookie Pierce who is basically useless),

Pierce can ball.Let's give him a chance.We have all the time in world to see him grow into this game.

TrueBlueGuy
09-09-2023, 09:41 PM
really enjoyed myself in sect 124 today...terrific effort by our guys, closest thing yet this season to a full 60-minute effort. Defence was a bit soft, but won the
turnover battle. Offense was excellent mix of run+pass, with everyone getting a touch at some point, Als could not focus on just one man.
Yes this team deserves more support, they are performing well and are very entertaining. Few penalties, no sacks, thanks Argos, job well done.

Scooter McCray
09-09-2023, 09:55 PM
Would be great to have a month or two to sell the November 12th game and really try to make it an event - Toronto loves when something is an “event” - this team deserves a big crowd and they need to pull out all the stops to try to get them a big crowd on the 12th. The die-hards can maybe get them to 20K (sadly the Argos have an aging fan base) - they need to do something to appeal to the non-traditional Argos audience and show them what a great team and great product this team is.

I appreciate after 5 decades of watching this team that any “bump” is temporary and even the 1996-1997 all time teams did not draw well either - but if any team deserves a big crowd it’s this one!

Arrrrrrgooooos!!!CFL semis and finals are on Saturday's this year. Only the Grey Cup is on Sunday. Eastern Final will go on Saturday November 11 - Remembrance Day.

OV Argo
09-09-2023, 10:26 PM
He's got a future in this league.

Pierce can ball.Let's give him a chance.We have all the time in world to see him grow into this game.

Hey, he may become a great CFL DB but for now he looks totally lost out there; not surprising for a new to Canadian ball guy with no understanding of the game; they have had secondary injuries, so depth would be nice, but trotting out a raw rookie with no experience with the team or in the Canadian game is asking a lot - and IMO they should not have had to go there.

ArgoRavi
09-09-2023, 11:49 PM
They win this week (seems pretty likely at this point), and next week in Montreal and they would clinch first earlier than ever I would imagine - mid-September (after only 12 games)?!

We can protect players then for a month or two, and give weeks off to those that need them. Even with a potential loss next week, they should clinch first by early October at the very latest. It’s going to be time to start focusing on November 12th sooner than later.

It’s such a joy to watch this group this year. Just keep the main guys healthy for November.

Just remember that this year, the playoff games will be played on Saturday so the East Final will be late afternoon on November 11th.

ArgoRavi
09-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Hey, he may become a great CFL DB but for now he looks totally lost out there; not surprising for a new to Canadian ball guy with no understanding of the game; they have had secondary injuries, so depth would be nice, but trotting out a raw rookie with no experience with the team or in the Canadian game is asking a lot - and IMO they should not have had to go there.

I think that Pierce has played decently. Nobody is going to be perfect, especially a rookie, but he hasn't looked out of place IMO.

Stevoman
09-10-2023, 01:02 AM
Good to see the ship keep sailing! I love how they are building leads in the 1st quarter and closing games out with a balanced attack. Quite impressive!

paulwoods13
09-10-2023, 07:52 AM
Clearly Pierce is the next man up with Amos, Daniel, Carnell and Priester all down. He's gonna need to learn on the job, and fortunately we can afford some mistakes at this point.

Will
09-10-2023, 08:22 AM
I wasn't expecting that type of performance on 4-days rest, especially given that many of the Argos' games against Montreal over the past couple of years have been tight. There was an unexpected chippiness to this game, but I was unable to tell if it was Montreal or Toronto initiating this, however I do know that Stubblefield's hit on Kelly after the latter had scored a touchdown was a complete clown move by the former, of further note:

(1) I was very impressed by the 100-yard TD drive the Argos went on to put the game away. The Alouettes probably thought they had Argos pinned deep, but through a combination of the run-game and methodical passing by Kelly, the Argos scored a TD.
(2) What was with Maas kicking a 10-yard FG in the 3Q down 16? I get it if it was 30 or 40 yards, but I thought the Als would've gone for it.
(3) I don't know if it was by-product of Argos going up 14-0, but why did Als completely abandon the run? Is Stanback hurt? He's had some success against Argos in the past, but the Als team ran 10 times for 24 yards!
(4) OL continues to play great!
(5) Robertson Daniel's injury is certainly a concern. I hope Carnell IV and Priester can both return when they are able. Both are capable.
(6) How about Andrew Harris dragging the pile on that run?
(7) Crowd seemed larger than the 14,415 announced.
(8) Kelly finding a connection with Tommy Nield.

AngeloV
09-10-2023, 03:44 PM
I think that Pierce has played decently. Nobody is going to be perfect, especially a rookie, but he hasn't looked out of place IMO.

Pierce is a little small for my liking.

gilthethrill
09-10-2023, 06:10 PM
I had to read Ben Grants write up to know that Nield replaced an injured Cam Phillips.

ArgoRavi
09-10-2023, 07:34 PM
I had to read Ben Grants write up to know that Nield replaced an injured Cam Phillips.

Phillips went out very early in the game but Gittens was also banged up a little yesterday.

The injury I am most concerned about is Robertson Daniel's.

Mocha
09-13-2023, 06:46 PM
Our guys who topped the Pro Stats Canada rankings for this game:

Bede X2
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F58IHEDXcAA4zWb?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F58GecwXUAAQ1IQ?format=jpg&name=small

Leake, of course:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F58E3Q8WAAAqyBF?format=jpg&name=small

Barlow:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F576RSVW8AAdHig?format=jpg&name=small

7dj83r8f78t4alf8