PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Toronto Argonauts @ Montreal Alouettes, Sept 15, 2023

AngeloV
09-12-2023, 11:45 PM
Argos with the opportunity to clinch first in the east with a victory.

I expect a much better Montreal team this week. Should Darnell Sankey be ready to play, he will make them much tougher against the run. Als injury report looks much, much smaller than last week. The only significant player to not practice today was William Stanback, which might explain why he only had 2 caries this past week.

As for the Argos, both Kurleigh Gittens (hip)and Cam Phillips (groin) did not participate from a receivers point of view, and Roberson Daniel (ankle) from the secondary. Three significant players.

Again, I think this will be a tough one, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Als win, but I think the Argos will squeak it out.

Will
09-13-2023, 08:39 AM
Argo wins (with the exception of a few in '13 and '14) at Molson Stadium are usually close. I don't expect anything but the same this week.

bluto
09-13-2023, 12:18 PM
Argo wins (with the exception of a few in '13 and '14) at Molson Stadium are usually close. I don't expect anything but the same this week.

Been awhile since we laid a shellacking on them @ Molson... we're due. I think the guys go out to crush them and sew up first.

paulwoods13
09-13-2023, 02:08 PM
Gittens and Daniel are confirmed out, Phillips is questionable. I have a feeling Argos might go easy in this one and save their energy and best tactics for Hamilton and Winnipeg.

OV Argo
09-13-2023, 02:43 PM
Pretty confident in Nield at receiver with Gittens out. It's the new starter in the secondary that could be a big problem. Preister, Carnell and Harry all have CFL experience, but if they can't go, then what? Could maybe slide Pickett back and have Jones or Hoyte play at OLB, but coverages might have to change ?

AngeloV
09-13-2023, 05:07 PM
Pretty confident in Nield at receiver with Gittens out. It's the new starter in the secondary that could be a big problem. Preister, Carnell and Harry all have CFL experience, but if they can't go, then what? Could maybe slide Pickett back and have Jones or Hoyte play at OLB, but coverages might have to change ?

I too am confident in Nield, and Brissett will also get more snaps, which is always good. Preister and Carnell aren't eligible to dress until next week. This is the 6th game of their second 6 game stints. They can officially practice this week, but if they are activated, the cap relief is gone.

Will
09-13-2023, 05:14 PM
The depth at the HB spot does make me weary, but I'm confident in Nield replacing Gittens.

Argos have an opportunity to clinch the bye, I say go for it!

Scooter McCray
09-14-2023, 10:43 AM
I believe they will go for it. But it will be a tough game to win. If they pull it out they have 7 weeks and 6 games to rest and audition their depth for next season. For the Winnipeg game I would like it if they could put Andrew Harris at #1 back, with AJ spelling him. It is his last time to play in his hometown. He never got the chance last year.

ArgoRavi
09-14-2023, 10:58 AM
I too am confident in Nield, and Brissett will also get more snaps, which is always good. Preister and Carnell aren't eligible to dress until next week. This is the 6th game of their second 6 game stints. They can officially practice this week, but if they are activated, the cap relief is gone.

Priester is a bit of a mystery to me - although all Argos injuries seem to be a mystery, given the lack of information we get about them. Priester was practising a few weeks ago and then returned to the 6 game list. I took that to mean that he suffered a setback of some kind.

AngeloV
09-14-2023, 11:05 AM
https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2016/06/Week-15-vs.-MTL-September-15-2023-PDF.pdf

The depth chart is out. Nield, Brissett and Ungerer all starting at receiver and we get our first look at Deontae McMahon backing up at receiver. He is a RB, so I expect to see him run the odd jet sweep that Gittens usually runs.

Jamie Harry also checks in as a back up at corner.

paulwoods13
09-14-2023, 11:06 AM
Pierce gets the start at halfback. Harry dresses as a backup along with Edouard and Sankoh. (Wonder what the status of Sutton is.) Eight d-linemen dressed with Costigan coming back in. Phillips and Gittens out with Nield and Brissett starting in their place. Deonta McMahon is listed as the only backup receiver.

Scooter McCray
09-14-2023, 11:10 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with this lineup. They can win this game. Will be fun to watch.

Will
09-14-2023, 12:22 PM
Win tomorrow, secure the bye, and worry about getting key personnel healthy over the last third of the season.

gilthethrill
09-14-2023, 02:43 PM
Priester is a bit of a mystery to me - although all Argos injuries seem to be a mystery, given the lack of information we get about them. Priester was practising a few weeks ago and then returned to the 6 game list. I took that to mean that he suffered a setback of some kind.

At one time I found it frustrating regarding the mystery of Argo injuries, but now I just accept it as it is.

paulwoods13
09-14-2023, 04:02 PM
At one time I found it frustrating regarding the mystery of Argo injuries, but now I just accept it as it is.

It's not just the Argos. It's all teams. The league does not require release of as much info as we would all like, and no team has a beat reporter there every day to watch and report on what's going on.

Shatto
09-14-2023, 06:32 PM
It is interesting the team has MacMahon at slotback rather than Leake. Of course the team wouldn't want to see their ace returner injured in the role of slotback but his size, speed and open field running ability would make him an excellent prospect for the position.

Rich
09-15-2023, 12:19 AM
McMahon’s an exciting player to watch, looking forward to what he might do for this offence. A small, shifty, ultra-quick back/receiver may even be the missing ingredient to really ignite things.

I’m just hoping Chad finds the Superman cape he wore last time Argos were in Montreal. It must have been at the cleaners the last couple weeks.

Mocha
09-15-2023, 07:36 PM
Gutsy call on 3rd down by Maas.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 07:43 PM
The definition of dumb by Peters, who in general is great - taking a talking penalty after the play - the only possible effect a penalty, thereby helping setting up an easy FG for the Als.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 07:55 PM
Every game AJ busts at least one straight up the middle breaking tackles right and left.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 07:58 PM
Great to see Argos using Tommy Nield more after his six catches for 84 yards last week showed what he can do.

Mocha
09-15-2023, 08:10 PM
Man, chippy battle. The D's are stepping up, but so many flags the past couple minutes.

Mocha
09-15-2023, 08:13 PM
Hmm, I was sure that no yards flag was going to save us from a turnover. I guess Leake was out of bounds before being stripped?

AngeloV
09-15-2023, 08:29 PM
The definition of dumb by Peters, who in general is great - taking a talking penalty after the play - the only possible effect a penalty, thereby helping setting up an easy FG for the Als.

It was a BS call. He didn’t get in Mack’s face. Officiating in the CFL continue to get worse. 2 flags picked up in the first half because the officials that threw them have no clue. When in doubt, keep it in your pocket.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 08:42 PM
Argo D dominating through gang tackling and sacks.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 08:50 PM
It was a BS call. He didn’t get in Mack’s face. Officiating in the CFL continue to get worse. 2 flags picked up in the first half because the officials that threw them have no clue. When in doubt, keep it in your pocket.

You and I don't know what was said. When in doubt say nothing to avoid the penalty.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 08:52 PM
After watching McMahon on one run it is obvious his speed and manuerabiltiy is going to add a new dimension to an already strong Argo run game.

Mocha
09-15-2023, 09:05 PM
This is an important drive for the D. Have to stop that Als momentum.

Mocha
09-15-2023, 09:11 PM
The addition of Sankey really seems to have energized Montreal's D. Curious to see how they do against other teams in the weeks to come.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 09:12 PM
I was worried when I saw the hit to Andrew Harris's knee, but he seems to be OK.

Mocha
09-15-2023, 09:16 PM
After watching McMahon on one run it is obvious his speed and manuerabiltiy is going to add a new dimension to an already strong Argo run game.
Yeah, those were some fun runs. Maybe we'll see a lot more of him next season (or maybe even this postseason).

gilthethrill
09-15-2023, 09:25 PM
You and I don't know what was said. When in doubt say nothing to avoid the penalty.

Randy obviously sent out a memo this week after Begelton and Mack punched guys in the head last weekend. Now he has the refs over reaching.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 09:25 PM
Another Argo penalty after an Al TD. Argos need to work on eliminating that in the future. Its like baseball -some umps have tight strike zones - some don't. If you don't adapt, you lose on the close calls.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 09:39 PM
McManus's sack moves the FG back and saves 3 points.

ArgoGabe22
09-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Has to one of the worst performances from referees I last remembered. Allen call was SOFT

jerrym
09-15-2023, 10:02 PM
Two fine catches by Coxie for a TD.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 10:08 PM
What a turnaround! What a victory!

Mocha
09-15-2023, 10:08 PM
Wow, what a finish.

Hope we do indeed see the Als in the East final.

Argos1983
09-15-2023, 10:11 PM
Clinch first place earlier than ever I would imagine — see everyone on the 11th and then hopefully we fill the Hammer up with double blue for the GC a week or so later. Simply a great team who finds ways to win even when they aren’t at their best, they find a way to win when it counts. Such an enjoyable team to watch this season so far - two more wins in November to go.

Scooter McCray
09-15-2023, 10:12 PM
Coke ca j'uste. Le Jeu son fait!
Team record 11-1 start. First place. Start buying your tickets for the East Final. MLSE have 7 weeks to sell 25,000 tickets.

jerrym
09-15-2023, 10:15 PM
With Nield going 7catches/82 yards, Ungerer 3/51 and Brissett 2/35 the Argos Canadian Air Force shows how valuable it is with 61% of the Argos receiving yardage.

TrueBlueGuy
09-15-2023, 10:26 PM
That was absolute THEFT...Alouettes were definitely the best team on the field tonite, but a great hit by our #1 defensive player Pickett gives us the only turnover we needed, then despite the refs Chad makes the throw he has to make, and Ungerer rescues a bad snap for the winning points, and finally our D-lineman blocks the last gasp field goal.
That boys+girls is the definition of Digging Deep.
That is the definition of WILL TO WIN.
That is the definition of team play. If any one of the men I mentioned above does NOT do what they did, the Argos lose. So proud of our guys.

Will
09-15-2023, 10:43 PM
The Argos seemed dead in the water, but good teams find ways to win. Consider this sequence (posted for posterity):

1. Wynton McManis sacks Cody Fajardo and forces Cote into a 53-yard attempt, which is missed. Ball is returned by Argos out of endzone, but there is a penalty on Toronto and the Argos scrimmage from the 1.
2. Argos go for it on 3rd and 3 from the 8 and draw a PI penalty to extend drive.
3. Argos get game tying TD only for it to be called back.
4. Argos turn ball over on downs.
5. Als have to punt the ball back to Toronto.
6. Clutch catches by both Brissett and Coxie to tie the game!
7. Oy, Cody Fajardo!
8. Bede 3!
9. Oh no, Philpot into Argos territory to give Cote a chance to tie!
10. The Dewayne Hendrix Experience says no way!

23-20

See you at BMO Field on November 11.

OV Argo
09-15-2023, 10:58 PM
Great comeback win - sign of a very good team.

Argo O & D both seemed to go to sleep in the 2nd half; but - a few key plays seal the win: forced bad throw by Pickett results in a pick; great throw and outstanding route & catch by Coxie; and then the Hendrix Experience !

And nice game by young DB Pierce with some good tackles & hits including a forced fumble.

More run game would have helped and this young McMahon kid could be another weapon for the offence.

Blue90
09-15-2023, 11:01 PM
What a game!
A few obvious notes for the Coach however....
1. far too many stupid penalties, roughing and objectional conduct penalties have to stop
2. Kelly is the MVP, stop exposing him to unnecessary hits. If he gets hurt, the season is over
3. Punt and kickoff returns coverage must get better

Otherwise it was a fantastic game and an unbelievable finish.

Waffle
09-16-2023, 12:01 AM
After the third quarter I didn’t think there was any way the Argos could get a win in that game. About 1 in 5 CFL games are won with around 24 points, and I didn’t think there was any way that the Argos would be able to get to that level.

The big problem as far as I could see was that Chad Kelly was average, or worse for most of the game. He was something like 21 of 35 for 275 yards overall, and yes was good in the last couple of minutes of the game. He didn’t throw an interception, but that was because several of his passes were so far off the mark that even the other team wasn’t close to them. I wonder why all the high passes which we have seen for a couple of games now.

Pierce seemed to have a decent game. Peters and McManis were good. And as usual, Pickett was outstanding. I didn’t think McMahon wowed anyone but then only had a couple of plays.

Congrats to the team for winning the division. An incredible accomplishment at this point in the season.

Rich
09-16-2023, 12:24 AM
Argos go for it on 3rd and 3 from the 8 and draw a PI penalty to extend drive.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. Suitor wondered if they thought it was 2nd down. After all the situations RD has refused to gamble on, he takes maybe his boldest gamble ever, and it wins the game for them?

Does this mean we can expect bolder gambles from RD going forward? Or was this just “screw it we got 1st locked it doesn’t matter”?

I was surprised how many bad throws from Chad. I’m still a little concerned there may be something wrong with his elbow or hand or something. But after playing like crap for 57 minutes he finally finds his cape and throws two 40-yds-in-air dimes that turn things around, big plays at big moments like the great ones do.

jerrym
09-16-2023, 12:25 AM
With Nield going 7catches/82 yards, Ungerer 3/51 and Brissett 2/35 the Argos Canadian Air Force shows how valuable it is with 61% of the Argos receiving yardage.

And I didn't even include Gittens in the Canadian Air Force. Hopefully he'll be back before the playoffs.

AngeloV
09-16-2023, 12:37 AM
2. Argos go for it on 3rd and 3 from the 8 and draw a PI penalty to extend drive.

This was an indication to me that this game meant nothing to the Argos. If it did, there is no way they do that with 5 minutes remaining. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Stevoman
09-16-2023, 12:52 AM
Well, I turned it on in the middle of the third quarter only to watch a miserable 1.5 quarters (about to take the blame for the loss as it was obviously my fault for bringing them bad luck or something) and then to see this ending. Craziness! Hello Nov. 11!

OV Argo
09-16-2023, 12:54 AM

Ungerer is a gritty little sure-handed receiver; the Ticats should have kept him, but when the thinking is only one Canadian need apply for playing time at the position ...

Argos could easily roll 3 or 4 National receivers if need be; Brissett is showing big play ability and has speed, Nield is very impressive and we know what Gittens can do. Maybe Jared Wayne shows up from an NFL look down the road too.

AngeloV
09-16-2023, 01:02 AM
Ungerer is a gritty little sure-handed receiver; .

I loved the Ungerer signing the day it happened. He impressed me with Hamilton whenever he got the chance. I also feel more comfortable with him holding on FG's. I don't know when it was the pro football teams turned to their punters to be holders, but I think it's dumb. I get the theory that the punter, kicker and snapper are a team that spend almost the entire practice together, but I personally want a really good ball handler as holder. Haggerty already let a snap go through his hands on a convert earlier. I just like a receiver or a QB as the holder.

Scooter McCray
09-16-2023, 07:38 AM
I loved the Ungerer signing the day it happened. He impressed me with Hamilton whenever he got the chance. I also feel more comfortable with him holding on FG's. I don't know when it was the pro football teams turned to their punters to be holders, but I think it's dumb. I get the theory that the punter, kicker and snapper are a team that spend almost the entire practice together, but I personally want a really good ball handler as holder. Haggerty already let a snap go through his hands on a convert earlier. I just like a receiver or a QB as the holder.BenCahoon used to hold I believe. Especially when the weather gets cold.

paulwoods13
09-16-2023, 08:57 AM
That was a gutsy performance, with some truly clutch plays near the end. We really didn't deserve to win the game, but great teams find a way. It's fantastic to know we have first wrapped up. But there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed. This game will give RD plenty of stuff to point out in film study.

Golden Fleece
09-16-2023, 09:26 AM
The TSN Turning Point was when Wynton McManis started dancing around like a mascot on the field goal try with less than 6 minutes to go. He ended the routine by pointing wide right and the kicker missed on almost the exact angle he pointed. I was dying laughing and had to rewind the broadcast to show my wife. Didn't hear anyone mention his antics on the broadcast, but in some uncanny way he seemed to influence that play and set the table for the unexpected comeback. If I were savvy enough, I could probably make that video go viral on social media.

Argo57
09-16-2023, 01:03 PM
I loved the Ungerer signing the day it happened. He impressed me with Hamilton whenever he got the chance. I also feel more comfortable with him holding on FG's. I don't know when it was the pro football teams turned to their punters to be holders, but I think it's dumb. I get the theory that the punter, kicker and snapper are a team that spend almost the entire practice together, but I personally want a really good ball handler as holder. Haggerty already let a snap go through his hands on a convert earlier. I just like a receiver or a QB as the holder.

Ungerer handled the high snap like a champ on the game winning FG last night, your point is well made.

ArgoRavi
09-16-2023, 01:38 PM
This was an indication to me that this game meant nothing to the Argos. If it did, there is no way they do that with 5 minutes remaining. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

I loved that gamble and firmly believe that it was the right and only call to make there - even though it's one we wouldn't see any other coach make. If the Argos had punted there, the Als would have almost certainly been in FG range already and they only needed a FG to effectively put the game away.

"Issues"Mcgee
09-16-2023, 02:36 PM
To me this was a symbolic game.

When you look at the team's success over the last few years, the Argos are no longer a football team that can win. They are now a top football team and a world class sports organization.

Enjoy the next seven weeks, ladies and gentlemen. No one can take it away.

Waffle
09-16-2023, 02:36 PM
I was yelling at them to go for it on third and three given the score and time situation. Doesn’t make any difference if you loose by 1 point or a bunch.

Given how Kelly had been up to that point what play did you think they would call? They only needed 3 yards. I thought it would be the fake handoff up the middle and the toss outside to Ouellette. They were definitely lucky as it didn’t look like a good pass to me.

argolio
09-16-2023, 02:38 PM
1. Wynton McManis sacks Cody Fajardo and forces Cote into a 53-yard attempt, which is missed.This play really impressed me. McManis disguised and timed his blitz so well that the back (not sure who it was) had no chance to pick him up. An Als score on that drive probably gets them the win.

Waffle
09-16-2023, 05:01 PM
I wanted to give a shout out to the offensive line blocking on the Coxie touchdown.

Montreal lined up like they were rushing 4 on their left and 3 on their right, but one dropped out on the left so it was 3 against 3 on Toronto’s right side, and they all blocked well. On Toronto’s left side though Montreal rushed 4 guys against Mackellar and Hunter with Ouellette behind them. Ouellette didn’t really block anyone, and the outside Montreal player for some unknown reason took a step or two forward and jumped up in the air so didn’t need to be blocked.

So it was Mackellar and Hunter basically against 3 guys. Hunter tied up two guys, and Mackellar help up long enough against one that Kelly had time to throw.

Great job by the line.

Rich
09-16-2023, 10:52 PM
Considering our last two Cup victories, I think we should be calling games like this “Argos-style” comeback wins.

OV Argo
09-16-2023, 11:05 PM
Could anybody here see this Argos team put up games like the 2 West "powerhouse" teams today ?

AngeloV
09-16-2023, 11:16 PM
I loved that gamble and firmly believe that it was the right and only call to make there - even though it's one we wouldn't see any other coach make. If the Argos had punted there, the Als would have almost certainly been in FG range already and they only needed a FG to effectively put the game away.

Somehow I believe nobody would have loved the gamble if it failed. Plain and simple, it’s not a decision that would have been made if the game meant anything

AngeloV
09-16-2023, 11:20 PM
Could anybody here see this Argos team put up games like the 2 West "powerhouse" teams today ?

Except for last week against a suspect Riders team, Collaros hasn’t been right for a while now. Since the game he left in Edmonton, he’s thrown a lot of picks

kellynjk
09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Except for last week against a suspect Riders team, Collaros hasn’t been right for a while now. Since the game he left in Edmonton, he’s thrown a lot of picks

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I guess I'm just so used to seeing him play so well, that looking human and sloppy (tonight against Hamilton) is a surprise. Makes me wonder if he has quietly been nursing some kind of injury.

Rich
09-18-2023, 12:56 AM
Somehow I believe nobody would have loved the gamble if it failed. Plain and simple, it’s not a decision that would have been made if the game meant anything

If the game really meant nothing then nobody would have cared if the gamble failed, but I see your point.

I see it differently. It’s a pretty bold call even if the game means nothing. I’m wondering if we’re seeing RD gaining more confidence in his game management decisions.

He probably knows like the rest of us that it’s the weakest aspect of his coaching. 3rd down gambles, play challenges, clock management, punt vs FG — he’s made a mess of this stuff at times.

He doesn’t necessarily need to gamble more, but he needs to be more confident and decisive on these calls. And maybe this particular call, with its wildly successful ultimate outcome, will be another little step along the way.

Will
09-18-2023, 08:35 AM

Why not? They barely made it past the Alouettes.

AngeloV
09-18-2023, 10:58 AM
If the game really meant nothing then nobody would have cared if the gamble failed, but I see your point.

I see it differently. It’s a pretty bold call even if the game means nothing. I’m wondering if we’re seeing RD gaining more confidence in his game management decisions.

He probably knows like the rest of us that it’s the weakest aspect of his coaching. 3rd down gambles, play challenges, clock management, punt vs FG — he’s made a mess of this stuff at times.

He doesn’t necessarily need to gamble more, but he needs to be more confident and decisive on these calls. And maybe this particular call, with its wildly successful ultimate outcome, will be another little step along the way.

And I guarantee it was a call that would not have been made if it were a must win.

OV Argo
09-18-2023, 11:37 AM
Why not? They barely made it past the Alouettes.

Sure, maybe; remind me when the lose to joke teams like Ottawa or Hamilton though; and in a meaningful game where they are in a real battle for 1st in the Conference and a home play-off date. They just slept walked thru a good part of a game and managed to wake-up in time to beat Montreal, who weren't being QB'd by a raw rookie QB.

AngeloV
09-18-2023, 02:42 PM
Sure, maybe; remind me when the lose to joke teams like Ottawa or Hamilton though; and in a meaningful game where they are in a real battle for 1st in the Conference and a home play-off date. They just slept walked thru a good part of a game and managed to wake-up in time to beat Montreal, who weren't being QB'd by a raw rookie QB.

Well, they did lose to Calgary who lost to Ottawa.

Will
09-19-2023, 08:10 AM

Any given Sunday, remember the Argos lost to Caleb Evans and the Ottawa Redblacks at home last season.

Mocha
09-21-2023, 09:16 PM
Our guys who made the Pro Stats #1 for this game:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6bSlN3XsAAUlVR?format=webp&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6bMnVVWkAAlcc1?format=webp&name=small

AngeloV
09-21-2023, 11:41 PM
Barlow has been amazing. Dressed for 7 games and mostly in a rotational non starting role and has 6 sacks (according the TSN stats page).

gilthethrill
09-22-2023, 05:40 AM
Barlow has been amazing. Dressed for 7 games and mostly in a rotational non starting role and has 6 sacks (according the TSN stats page).

TSN stats on last weeks game lists Barlow with 3 QB sacks not 2. In the world of CFL stats 2023 close is good enough. :)

ArgoGabe22
09-22-2023, 08:39 AM
Ouellette (healthy scratch) and Harris (knee) are both out. I wonder if they go to McMahon, Adeboboye, or Leake. Or all 3?

AngeloV
09-22-2023, 09:56 AM
Ouellette (healthy scratch) and Harris (knee) are both out. I wonder if they go to McMahon, Adeboboye, or Leake. Or all 3?

My guess is they want to see what the have in McMahon and he gets the majority of the snaps.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8