PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Edmonton Elks @ Toronto Argonauts

Will
10-02-2023, 12:36 PM
150th anniversary game

AngeloV
10-02-2023, 01:31 PM
I wish I can get own early, but sadly I have to work and likely will get there just before kick off. Too bad this game couldn't have been on Saturday (although the weather forecast suggests that might be a good thing).

Waffle
10-05-2023, 02:22 AM
The injury reports for the Friday game are out:

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/10/02/elks-argos-injury-reports-morgan-peters-sit-out-on-monday/

“The Elks will be without seven players on Friday, including linebacker Nyles Morgan (https://www.cfl.ca/players/nyles-morgan/166347/) (hamstring), defensive back Marcus Lewis (https://www.cfl.ca/players/marcus-lewis/165952/) (calf), and defensive linemen Sam Acheampong (https://www.cfl.ca/players/sam-acheampong/165745/) (groin), J-Min Pelley (https://www.cfl.ca/players/j-min-pelley/162614/) (appendicitis) and Daniel Ross (https://www.cfl.ca/players/daniel-ross/160188/) (elbow).

In Toronto, wide receiver Cam Phillips (https://www.cfl.ca/players/cam-phillips/165683/) (groin) and defensive backs DaShaun Amos (https://www.cfl.ca/players/dashaun-amos/163933/) (ankle), Josh Hagerty (https://www.cfl.ca/players/josh-hagerty/166281/) (shoulder) and Jamal Peters (https://www.cfl.ca/players/jamal-peters/165258/) (groin) won’t be available for the game. Defensive lineman Shawn Oakman (https://www.cfl.ca/players/shawn-oakman/162244/) (healthy scratch) and running back AJ Ouellette (https://www.cfl.ca/players/aj-ouellette/165219/) (foot) practised fully all week and will be available on Friday.”

bluto
10-05-2023, 12:18 PM
Depth Chart is up:

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2016/06/Week-18-vs.-EDM-Ocotober-6-2023-PDF.pdf

paulwoods13
10-05-2023, 01:01 PM
Other than Hendrix getting a rest (and the guys who are legitimately injured or recovering from injury), this is close to a "starting"-calibre lineup. Still very thin in the secondary, and the d-line goes down by two with Barlow also sitting. But we can definitely win with this group.

gilthethrill
10-05-2023, 01:11 PM
Other than Hendrix getting a rest (and the guys who are legitimately injured or recovering from injury), this is close to a "starting"-calibre lineup. Still very thin in the secondary, and the d-line goes down by two with Barlow also sitting. But we can definitely win with this group.

Did Priester see any action last Friday night?

Waffle
10-05-2023, 01:27 PM

On the stats list he was credited with one tackle, but I don't know how many snaps he played.

ArgoRavi
10-05-2023, 01:51 PM

He was definitely out there on special teams at least and I think saw a few defensive snaps.

paulwoods13
10-05-2023, 02:05 PM
He was definitely out there on special teams at least and I think saw a few defensive snaps.

So did I, but not many (at least on TV coverage).

Shatto
10-05-2023, 11:30 PM
Would have preferred to see Barlow dressed rather than McMahon. The team would be better served with 4 DEs than 4 RBS. They should win handily anyway but the team would be stronger with Barlow dressed.

ArgoRavi
10-05-2023, 11:48 PM
Would have preferred to see Barlow dressed rather than McMahon. The team would be better served with 4 DEs than 4 RBS. They should win handily anyway but the team would be stronger with Barlow dressed.

I think that they need to figure out what they have in McMahon. I don't see him as an every down tailback but they need to figure out what kind of complementary piece he can be.

OV Argo
10-06-2023, 12:03 AM
I think that they need to figure out what they have in McMahon. I don't see him as an every down tailback but they need to figure out what kind of complementary piece he can be.

He's already been tried and showed some good flashes; Adeboboye, IMO, deserves the more work to see what he can bring.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 01:12 AM
I would have preferred to see Kelly in the Winnipeg game to make a statement about being the best team and let Dukes start this week.

AngeloV
10-06-2023, 01:17 AM
I would have preferred to see Kelly in the Winnipeg game to make a statement about being the best team and let Dukes start this week.

Disagree. The Argos already lose a home game every year, they owe it to their fans to play Kelly at home rather than on the road. I made this statement on her a couple of weeks ago, and it was nice to see Dinwiddie mention this in his media session after Wednesday's practice. It's pretty well a given Kelly will also sit the season finale in Ottawa.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 01:45 AM
I miss the old Thanksgiving Day Classic Argo games, especially against Hamilton.

Rich
10-06-2023, 02:06 AM
I think it would be pretty unprofessional and really dumb NOT to bring your A-game on the big Anniversary Night. It’s an important moment for the organization so I expect a big effort from the starters for at least a half. Chad and the defence both have something to prove, and it’ll probably be out of reach by halftime anyway.

bluto
10-06-2023, 08:05 AM
Big win tonight. Nothing else will do.

These were close to upsetting us at Commonwealth. Playoffs are drawing near, we'll have away games to rest more players. But for tonight: it's our 150th birthday and this is when we put our marker down. The Champions are ready to roll.

Argo57
10-06-2023, 08:10 AM

Argos are starting to gain some traction in the GTA, best to play more of your starters at BMO Field.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 08:42 PM
The Argos are doing a great job of containing Tre Ford.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 08:45 PM
Ungerer had a good first half with four catches for 42 yards, showing he would be first string on many teams.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 08:47 PM
Tre Ford just show he is a in a league of his own in terms of escapability as he eluded Argo after Argo to escape and throw a TD pass. Still overall Argos are doing a good job of containing him. You just can't keep Houdini under water forever.

Argo57
10-06-2023, 08:48 PM
The RTP penalty was a joke!

jerrym
10-06-2023, 08:51 PM
The Argo coaching staff should have taken AJ out of the game the first time he limped off the field to avoid serious injury in a game which is meaningless for the Argos.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 09:23 PM
McManus pick six just as Ford was marching the Elks towards the end zone. Winton always seems to come up with key plays.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 09:31 PM
Argo DL dominating game shutting down Brown and sacking Ford.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 09:47 PM
Great effort by Pierce to get the INT on what looked like a completion to Cobb.

jerrym
10-06-2023, 09:59 PM
Argos sitting like vultures in the final minutes picking apart the Elks offence.

Antwon
10-06-2023, 10:22 PM
Great game, they left Kelly in long enough to keep his rhythm. Our D is looking strong.
I wish TSN would have shown a few more Alum.
And Ford is going to be a force in the future.

"Issues"Mcgee
10-06-2023, 10:28 PM

Mocha
10-06-2023, 10:58 PM
Bit of a shame UofT vs York was scheduled at the same time as the Argos game. The three teams should be working together at cross-promotion.

Then again, York put up no resistance in the game, as usual. 57-3 for the Blues.

Waffle
10-07-2023, 02:13 AM
After years of being an Argo fan, I wondered if the sack on the first play for the offence was a portend of things to come. But this Argo team is different and resilient. Good game by them, esp special teams and the defence.

Imagine having a win with only 16 passing plays.

I thought Dan Adeboboye looked pretty good. Maybe they have a successor to Harris.

ArgoRavi
10-07-2023, 02:48 AM
The RTP penalty was a joke!

That was the one on Harry, right? Honestly, I have no idea what he did on that play that warranted a roughing penalty.

I also though that the horsecollar penalty, which kept the Elks' lone TD drive alive late in the second quarter, was a weak call. The defender (Jones?) got a hand on the nameplate but quickly removed it and did not appear to pull on it.

After the Harry penalty, I started to wonder if there was a new rule about not being able to touch Tre Ford.

Argo57
10-07-2023, 08:26 AM
That was the one on Harry, right? Honestly, I have no idea what he did on that play that warranted a roughing penalty.

I also though that the horsecollar penalty, which kept the Elks' lone TD drive alive late in the second quarter, was a weak call. The defender (Jones?) got a hand on the nameplate but quickly removed it and did not appear to pull on it.

After the Harry penalty, I started to wonder if there was a new rule about not being able to touch Tre Ford.

Yes Ravi, that’s the play I was referring to and you are also correct in regards to the horse collar penalty.
Nice to see the ever confused and incompetent Tom Vallessi back in control of things on the field.

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 08:33 AM
Great job by the org on the reunion. Hats off to Hogie and everyone else involved in bringing back so many players and putting on such a great tailgate and in-game ceremonies and videos. There has been some grumbling, on site and at the tailgate, about the wristband policy. But I don't know what else could have been done apart from publicizing the fact that wristbands would be handed out and that numbers were limited because of time constraints. The players involved are not gonna sit there and sign for three hours, and lines have to be controlled in some fashion. Anyone who really wanted autographs could have got them from many more guys than just the big six. There was a huge corral with players chatting and signing for most of the three hours the thing was open, and there were no restrictions on getting to them.

As for the game itself, the D looked extremely good and it's especially great to see the subs performing so well, in particular Mason Pierce who has really come into his own at halfback. Jonathan Jones had a monster game as the last-minute replacement for Jordan Williams, who was a late scratch after tweaking something during warmups. And after their bye week, McManis and Oakman played like they were shot out of a cannon. I expect to see similar energy from Hendrix next week, maybe Barlow as well. I think McManis has supplanted Pickett as the likely Eastern nominee for MODP, and I think he should be the favourite to become just the second Argo to win that award.

To my eyes, Kelly has not looked himself for a few games. He's missing on passes he was making earlier this season. Fortunately this has not cost us in any tangible way, but it speaks to the need to keep getting him game reps. I would prefer he play the first half of each of the last three games (and maybe more than that vs. Sask) than have him sit one out entirely.

ArgoGabe22
10-07-2023, 09:49 AM
Great job by the org on the reunion. Hats off to Hogie and everyone else involved in bringing back so many players and putting on such a great tailgate and in-game ceremonies and videos. There has been some grumbling, on site and at the tailgate, about the wristband policy. But I don't know what else could have been done apart from publicizing the fact that wristbands would be handed out and that numbers were limited because of time constraints. The players involved are not gonna sit there and sign for three hours, and lines have to be controlled in some fashion. Anyone who really wanted autographs could have got them from many more guys than just the big six. There was a huge corral with players chatting and signing for most of the three hours the thing was open, and there were no restrictions on getting to them.

As for the game itself, the D looked extremely good and it's especially great to see the subs performing so well, in particular Mason Pierce who has really come into his own at halfback. Jonathan Jones had a monster game as the last-minute replacement for Jordan Williams, who was a late scratch after tweaking something during warmups. And after their bye week, McManis and Oakman played like they were shot out of a cannon. I expect to see similar energy from Hendrix next week, maybe Barlow as well. I think McManis has supplanted Pickett as the likely Eastern nominee for MODP, and I think he should be the favourite to become just the second Argo to win that award.

To my eyes, Kelly has not looked himself for a few games. He's missing on passes he was making earlier this season. Fortunately this has not cost us in any tangible way, but it speaks to the need to keep getting him game reps. I would prefer he play the first half of each of the last three games (and maybe more than that vs. Sask) than have him sit one out entirely.

Of course there will be grumbling. Wristbands were gone before tailgate opened. Not even Argos staff were aware of this policy. Fans will always get turned away or miss out at these kind of events. But the organization keeps shooting themselves in the foot with such poor communication. Also, there are methods that organizers have in place to ensure the line goes smoothly and quickly. Wristbands even got turned away because it went too slow. Like the Blue/White game in Guelph starting earlier than shared with the fans. Why screw around with the fans like that? It’s disappointing and some will say us fans are too negative. I just think we care too much and want to see a better effort done by the organization. They desperately need someone in place to spearhead everything the team does. Almost like a president. Someone is signing off on these but no one it taking any responsibility for it.

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 10:01 AM
Of course there will be grumbling. Wristbands were gone before tailgate opened. Not even Argos staff were aware of this policy. Fans will always get turned away or miss out at these kind of events. But the organization keeps shooting themselves in the foot with such poor communication. Also, there are methods that organizers have in place to ensure the line goes smoothly and quickly. Wristbands even got turned away because it went too slow. Like the Blue/White starting earlier than shared with the fans. Why screw around with the fans like that? It’s disappointing and some will say us fans are too negative. I just think we care too much and want to see a better effort done by the organization. They desperately need someone in place spearhead everything the team does. Almost like a president.

No president, however accomplished, could or should micro-manage to the level you seem to want. Could there have been better communications with fans about the need to get there early to get a wristband? Yes. Should anyone have expected that every autograph-seeker would be accommodated in two 45-minute windows? No. Is grumbling about this the best possible response to an organization that did so many things well in the celebration (like bringing in dozens of players, from big names to lesser lights), and has put a 13-2 team on the field? No.

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 10:05 AM
Back to the game-day thread, there was one major (and possibly devastating) development. Dejon Allen left the game and had a boot on one foot. He was replaced by Hunter, with MacKellar sliding into Hunter's spot at LG. Presumably Cage will be healthy soon, but I have no idea whether either Cage or Tate can slide over to RT. If we leave Hunter out there, Mackellar is adequate at guard but we start to get thin behind the starters. Giffen's a good player, but Noll is unproven and I've expressed concerns about Richards many times over the past year.

ArgoGabe22
10-07-2023, 11:11 AM
No president, however accomplished, could or should micro-manage to the level you seem to want. Could there have been better communications with fans about the need to get there early to get a wristband? Yes. Should anyone have expected that every autograph-seeker would be accommodated in two 45-minute windows? No. Is grumbling about this the best possible response to an organization that did so many things well in the celebration (like bringing in dozens of players, from big names to lesser lights), and has put a 13-2 team on the field? No.

Including additional information in the details provided, creating a system (ex. no individual photos, one item per person), having actual knowledgeable staff present is not micromanaging. It's really the minimum. This would never happen with Leafs or Raptors. Raptors make it very clear it is a wrist banded event and bands are distributed at a certain time.

Being 13-2 should not be an excuse for something they have overlooked or did not plan properly. No one is blaming football ops. This is the 150th after all. And this isn't the first time something was poorly communicated with the fans

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 12:09 PM
Including additional information in the details provided, creating a system (ex. no individual photos, one item per person), having actual knowledgeable staff present is not micromanaging. It's really the minimum. This would never happen with Leafs or Raptors. Raptors make it very clear it is a wrist banded event and bands are distributed at a certain time.

Being 13-2 should not be an excuse for something they have overlooked or did not plan properly. No one is blaming football ops. This is the 150th after all. And this isn't the first time something was poorly communicated with the fans

This organization is not perfect. But as far as celebrations go, this one was done a lot bigger and better than any other one I've seen. They spent a lot of money and effort bringing in a lot of people for this, and they honoured them suitably and appropriately before and during the game. Imposing rules as you suggest would not have guaranteed everyone who wanted an autograph got one, and probably would have resulted in just as much, if not more, criticism. I have no idea what Raptors events you are talking about, but I bet there has never been a Raptors event with six legendary players signing autographs, and dozens more former players also available to interact directly with.

ArgoGabe22
10-07-2023, 12:23 PM
This organization is not perfect. But as far as celebrations go, this one was done a lot bigger and better than any other one I've seen. They spent a lot of money and effort bringing in a lot of people for this, and they honoured them suitably and appropriately before and during the game. Imposing rules as you suggest would not have guaranteed everyone who wanted an autograph got one, and probably would have resulted in just as much, if not more, criticism. I have no idea what Raptors events you are talking about, but I bet there has never been a Raptors event with six legendary players signing autographs, and dozens more former players also available to interact directly with.

Raptors hold or at least used to hold (I stopped following) public signings with current and past players. Two players at a time. And they make it clear what the rules are. Of course its a crapshoot but at least they have it written down and can point to it when asked. The effort some fans put in to come to a tailgate at not an easy time on a work day and to to only find out there was some details not included is not fair to them. It's just such a typical Argos SNAFU. The wristbands didn't even guarantee you one last night...

ArgoRavi
10-07-2023, 01:13 PM
Back to the game-day thread, there was one major (and possibly devastating) development. Dejon Allen left the game and had a boot on one foot. He was replaced by Hunter, with MacKellar sliding into Hunter's spot at LG. Presumably Cage will be healthy soon, but I have no idea whether either Cage or Tate can slide over to RT. If we leave Hunter out there, Mackellar is adequate at guard but we start to get thin behind the starters. Giffen's a good player, but Noll is unproven and I've expressed concerns about Richards many times over the past year.

The Argos also have Bladek in reserve too, Paul.

ArgoGabe22
10-07-2023, 01:22 PM
Kelly didn’t play great but did like some of the reads he made long despite not connecting. I agree with Paul that he doesn’t look like himself which is why I’m worried to sit him. Hopefully he can get meaningful reps and Dukes can coke in once the game is in control like last night.

There were times it looked like Leake was going to take one to the house with Ismail, Owens and Pinball in attendance.

Not a fan of Pickett still playing specials at this point of the season. Is it really necessary for him to do so?

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 01:45 PM
Raptors hold or at least used to hold (I stopped following) public signings with current and past players. Two players at a time. And they make it clear what the rules are. Of course its a crapshoot but at least they have it written down and can point to it when asked. The effort some fans put in to come to a tailgate at not an easy time on a work day and to to only find out there was some details not included is not fair to them. It's just such a typical Argos SNAFU. The wristbands didn't even guarantee you one last night...

I can't look at last night as anything "typical" for the Argos, and I've been to quite a few celebratory events over the years. It was, in fact, the best-run, classiest such event I can remember. Obviously if a few fans are unhappy because they didn't get exactly what they wanted or expected from the autograph session, then it can't be considered perfect. (One fan loudly and profanely complained to me -- why me, who knows -- that the organization had provided only plain cards to get signed instead of glossy photos. Some people sure have a strong sense of entitlement.) I daresay the vast majority of fans who showed up yesterday enjoyed and appreciated the event, and all that went into it.

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 01:47 PM
The Argos also have Bladek in reserve too, Paul.

You are right, but what is the likelihood he gets activated at this point? I think it's low. Also, he would presumably go in at RG, where he played before, necessitating a cascading series of changes on the line. IMO the best option is to move either Tate or Cage to RT and leave every other starter where they are already playing -- if one of those two can handle the side switch.

Will
10-07-2023, 01:48 PM
The Argos offensive and defensive lines (for the most part) dominated this game. Kelly did get sacked a few times, but the Argos ran for 151 yards whereas Kevin Brown was held to 10 yards on 6 carries and Tre Ford was sacked 5 times.

ArgoGabe22
10-07-2023, 02:03 PM
I can't look at last night as anything "typical" for the Argos, and I've been to quite a few celebratory events over the years. It was, in fact, the best-run, classiest such event I can remember. Obviously if a few fans are unhappy because they didn't get exactly what they wanted or expected from the autograph session, then it can't be considered perfect. (One fan loudly and profanely complained to me -- why me, who knows -- that the organization had provided only plain cards to get signed instead of glossy photos. Some people sure have a strong sense of entitlement.) I daresay the vast majority of fans who showed up yesterday enjoyed and appreciated the event, and all that went into it.

Paul, my only real gripe is mostly the miscommunication. It’s typical for Argos because I went to Guelph for the scrimmage and was given an incorrect start time. Why would I want to put in the effort to attend these specific times events only to be let down again and again. Argos can choose whatever method they want but it could’ve been more clear beforehand. And maybe have staff present rather than third party security company. A more minor gripe was lack of merch and I thought the tent looked a little cheap. 6 of the biggest names just put in a tent like that. I don’t know what honestly could’ve been instead. Just looked cheap?

ArgoRavi
10-07-2023, 03:18 PM
You are right, but what is the likelihood he gets activated at this point? I think it's low. Also, he would presumably go in at RG, where he played before, necessitating a cascading series of changes on the line. IMO the best option is to move either Tate or Cage to RT and leave every other starter where they are already playing -- if one of those two can handle the side switch.

If Tate or Cage can't play right tackle - and I imagine both can although it would be a bit of an adjustment - then Hunter could go to right tackle and Bladek could play guard. I think that the Argos have lots of options with their depth. Hopefully, Allen can return for the postseason though.

argolio
10-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Officiating highlight of the game was head ref Tom Vallesi looking directly at the game clock and deciding the whistle in the play with 3:01 left in the game, which gave us a three minute warning at 2:38 instead of 3:00. That's one way to shorten a blowout game.

gilthethrill
10-07-2023, 03:49 PM

I am surprised to hear of Allen’s injury. I watch closely on tv but had absolutely no idea he got hurt.

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 04:46 PM
Apparently he missed the whole second half although I didn't notice him in civvies until the fourth quarter. Presumably a decision was made at halftime to shut him down; hopefully precautionary. I really doubt Bladek will be activated during the regular season, if at all, unless there is a real run of injuries on the line. As someone pointed out recently, they didn't activate Nicastro late last season even though he was apparently recovered and ready.

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 04:53 PM
Paul, my only real gripe is mostly the miscommunication. It’s typical for Argos because I went to Guelph for the scrimmage and was given an incorrect start time. Why would I want to put in the effort to attend these specific times events only to be let down again and again. Argos can choose whatever method they want but it could’ve been more clear beforehand. And maybe have staff present rather than third party security company. A more minor gripe was lack of merch and I thought the tent looked a little cheap. 6 of the biggest names just put in a tent like that. I don’t know what honestly could’ve been instead. Just looked cheap?

Your only gripe is miscommunication. And using a third party instead of staff to handle logistics. And lack of merch. And a cheap-looking tent. (!)

I'm sorry, Gabe, this rubs me the wrong way after the best celebratory event the org has ever staged. One commentator (JB on Xs and Argos) even compared it to what the Montreal Canadiens do in such affairs. That's a bit of a stretch, IMO. But it was a hell of a good event, with (apparently) a small number of disgruntled (and in one case, at least -- the guy who complained that the FREE autograph cards weren't good enough) autograph seekers.

OV Argo
10-07-2023, 05:19 PM
If Tate or Cage can't play right tackle - and I imagine both can although it would be a bit of an adjustment - then Hunter could go to right tackle and Bladek could play guard. I think that the Argos have lots of options with their depth. Hopefully, Allen can return for the postseason though.

Another, of several options, would be to play Giffen at OG, if Hunter went to OT; he has dressed and played this year, as opposed to Bladek who has not played and is maybe not in game shape, though he has more CFL starting experience than most of the Argos interior O-line. MacKellar has played too, but saw him get driven backwards on to his butt last game; Giffen is bigger and has more CFL/Argo roster experience, and might be a plus in road grading when the ground game is hopefully important in the play-offs.

ArgoFan1
10-07-2023, 05:27 PM
I thought the pre-game and half time festivities were great !! Only thing I would have wanted added was to name all those other ex players that came onto the field. I know that would take much time, but run through the names at least. Get a cheer here and there for players that most people remember and like.
I loved seeing our past heros like Prefontaine and Chad Owens, Massotti, Ilesic, Ray, to name a few. My only real disappointment was the crowd. I wish the team and the city, especially the almost non existent sports media here would actually think about the Argos for a moment. But, that is my major rant, and it didn't spoil the night for me, since I am a die hard fan, so I'll set that aside.

ArgoGabe22
10-07-2023, 05:57 PM
Your only gripe is miscommunication. And using a third party instead of staff to handle logistics. And lack of merch. And a cheap-looking tent. (!)

I'm sorry, Gabe, this rubs me the wrong way after the best celebratory event the org has ever staged. One commentator (JB on Xs and Argos) even compared it to what the Montreal Canadiens do in such affairs. That's a bit of a stretch, IMO. But it was a hell of a good event, with (apparently) a small number of disgruntled (and in one case, at least -- the guy who complained that the FREE autograph cards weren't good enough) autograph seekers.

Do Montreal fans wonder where the big alumni stars are? Tucked away in a small tent in the back of a park. Who could I ask to speak to on more for information about the signing or specific merchandise? The security guards who aren’t employed by the team or the ones handing out the autograph cards who had no idea where they got their 150 stickers from. What time should be there? Says opens at 3:30. Get there before the tailgate opens. All bracelets gone. Guess I should’ve wasted a sick day and take the day off. Better or more transparent communication is not much of an ask.

For someone who goes to trade shows and signings regularly as a kid, this could’ve been way better organized. And I know I’m not the only one. I really can’t defend the organization for the autograph signing. Guy next to was saying the organization treats STHers like dirt lol. I wont go that far.

Said this before but when we cancelled our seasons, no one from the org every followed up or contacted us in trying to come back and purchase for next season. Of course I’m upset with some of the effort they put in with things and wish they would have better communication with its fans. It’s just these little things that are easily correctable and they don’t get it right.

paulwoods13
10-07-2023, 07:19 PM
Another, of several options, would be to play Giffen at OG, if Hunter went to OT; he has dressed and played this year, as opposed to Bladek who has not played and is maybe not in game shape, though he has more CFL starting experience than most of the Argos interior O-line. MacKellar has played too, but saw him get driven backwards on to his butt last game; Giffen is bigger and has more CFL/Argo roster experience, and might be a plus in road grading when the ground game is hopefully important in the play-offs.

I really like Giffen as a guard, but that doesn't address my concern about getting thin on the line if we were to lose Allen and be unable to use both Tate and Cage. Noll is unproven, and I have major concerns about Richards.

TrueBlueGuy
10-07-2023, 08:20 PM
as I'm watching Bo Levi blow out the Riders, just wanted to say the 150th celebration/tailgate was excellent. To 3 QB's onstage throwing out footballs+Tshirts (Ray, Allen+Holloway). Top kickers doing the same, but with their legs ( Mike V., Noel P. and Chomyc). The crowd loved it, especially the young kids. Damon and Chad Owens in particular I noticed were overly generous with their time signing autographs. So cool to see Symons and Pete Martin from the 1971 team. Also saw Mike McCarthy, Cliff Ivory, Jan Carinci, RR, Rocket and too many more to name. Yes it must have taken a lot of work to pull this all together. Still don't know how Pinball stopped the rain from falling, he is amazing!! THANK YOU ARGOS!

OV Argo
10-07-2023, 08:49 PM
I really like Giffen as a guard, but that doesn't address my concern about getting thin on the line if we were to lose Allen and be unable to use both Tate and Cage. Noll is unproven, and I have major concerns about Richards.

I believe Hunter could hold up well at OT; but still a question mark if it comes down to a big game.

ArgoRavi
10-07-2023, 11:16 PM
I believe Hunter could hold up well at OT; but still a question mark if it comes down to a big game.

I am not worried about the depth on the offensive line. Hopefully, Allen can go in the playoffs as he has been outstanding but the Argos have at least a couple of viable options to replace him, including Hunter and Tate/Cage and if they go to Hunter, they have viable options at guard (e.g., Bladek, McKellar, Giffen) to replace him. That's far more depth than anyone else in the league has. And I am not even including Richards, who I know that Paul isn't high on.

AngeloV
10-08-2023, 12:01 AM
Do Montreal fans wonder where the big alumni stars are? Tucked away in a small tent in the back of a park. Who could I ask to speak to on more for information about the signing or specific merchandise? The security guards who aren’t employed by the team or the ones handing out the autograph cards who had no idea where they got their 150 stickers from. What time should be there? Says opens at 3:30. Get there before the tailgate opens. All bracelets gone. Guess I should’ve wasted a sick day and take the day off. Better or more transparent communication is not much of an ask.

For someone who goes to trade shows and signings regularly as a kid, this could’ve been way better organized. And I know I’m not the only one. I really can’t defend the organization for the autograph signing. Guy next to was saying the organization treats STHers like dirt lol. I wont go that far.

Said this before but when we cancelled our seasons, no one from the org every followed up or contacted us in trying to come back and purchase for next season. Of course I’m upset with some of the effort they put in with things and wish they would have better communication with its fans. It’s just these little things that are easily correctable and they don’t get it right.

You want some cheese with that whine Gabe? Give it a rest. Nobody on this site is agreeing with you here.

Rich
10-08-2023, 01:07 AM

I agree completely, and I’m a little worried about it. I mean, we don’t really know who the real Chad Kelly is “himself”. He probably sits somewhere in between the spectacular ultra-high level QBing we saw earlier, and the somewhat mediocre performance we saw last night.

He definitely misses Gittens and Phillips. Nield really blew it by slowing down on a perfectly thrown deep ball. And it’s gotta be hard to keep your focus razor sharp when the game is meaningless and you’re running a vanilla offence.

But there’s three more meaningless games to come before the playoffs, let’s hope somehow he can use them to get closer to his earlier form. I would play him 3 quarters in each of the next two games, then one in the last.

Rich
10-08-2023, 01:12 AM
You want some cheese with that whine Gabe? Give it a rest. Nobody on this site is agreeing with you here.

Sounds like you’re not a big fan of free speech.

Rich
10-08-2023, 01:24 AM
I thought Dan Adeboboye looked pretty good. Maybe they have a successor to Harris.

He is special. Maybe a tandem with AJ for years to come. Local kid, wonderful family, grateful to be here, he’s got power, agility and speed — we’re lucky to have him.

Argo57
10-08-2023, 08:24 AM
He is special. Maybe a tandem with AJ for years to come. Local kid, wonderful family, grateful to be here, he’s got power, agility and speed — we’re lucky to have him.

A very astute draft pick!

paulwoods13
10-08-2023, 08:28 AM

I, too, think Hunter can play tackle. But again, that would challenge our depth and structure. IMO we have five guys who can play the three interior positions -- the three current starters plus Giffen and MacKellar (in that order). Moving one of them to start at tackle leaves us with just one backup inside, and we'd have no backup dressed who could comfortably and effectively play tackle. One of the advantages of our current format (with Hunter at guard and two INT tackles) is that we have a capable backup tackle in the lineup, Hunter, and capable backups who can slide into his guard spot. Moving him to tackle as a starter disrupts that, and IMO the only other capable tackles we have are INTs. So I think having Hunter start at tackle is unlikely.

ArgoZ
10-08-2023, 08:41 AM
I agree completely, and I’m a little worried about it. I mean, we don’t really know who the real Chad Kelly is “himself”. He probably sits somewhere in between the spectacular ultra-high level QBing we saw earlier, and the somewhat mediocre performance we saw last night.

He definitely misses Gittens and Phillips. Nield really blew it by slowing down on a perfectly thrown deep ball. And it’s gotta be hard to keep your focus razor sharp when the game is meaningless and you’re running a vanilla offence.

But there’s three more meaningless games to come before the playoffs, let’s hope somehow he can use them to get closer to his earlier form. I would play him 3 quarters in each of the next two games, then one in the last.

Kelly threw that ball so nice. I really like Nield, but he did mess that up. Coxie had a bad drop too. Receivers really made Kelly look like a Superstar early this season. They make those catches, one is probably a TD, and Kelly’s looking much better. The whole team needs to be sharper come playoffs, which could include guys like Nield. I agree, they can’t sit everyone as much as intended. Kelly doesn’t take many sacks, tell him to throw it away more, and it should be fine.

ArgoZ
10-08-2023, 09:26 AM

It’s important to separate the big 3 autographs from the event. Overall the event was really good. The lack of communication for the autographs was atrocious. Wristband policies are fine, but that needs to be explained for most people. A simple, “wristband in effect, 150 limited to be distributed at 3pm, so get there early” would have solved so many problems. As someone who has been to many events, I was wondering how this would work. 45 minutes a session is really short and hard to do even 100 people. People were showing up and getting in line at 5pm for Rocket, not knowing they had zero chance, even some people with wristbands didn’t get an autograph, that’s not professional.

ArgoGabe22
10-08-2023, 10:10 AM

Same sh1t. Different day. Why even have a fan forum or bother posting anything? Guess this should be a forum dedicated to AV vs OV only.

Every fan has their own experience or defines their fandom differently. For some it’s the event, others is strictly the games. Some may not care about the autographs, but for others perhaps an autograph could be worth more to them than the game itself. Just because this forum may not collect autographs or post about it, doesn’t mean the miscommunication or mismanagement of the event can’t be shared. It was the worst managed signing I’ve been to. Argos needs fans, needs better engagement, communication, overall fan experience, wins on the field. We can’t pretend everything is perfect and go along like everything is all fine and dandy. Winning unfortunately isn’t everything for some fans or future fans. Why can’t we hold this organization to higher standards and expect the simple things done right?

Will
10-08-2023, 10:26 AM
I've looked at Chad's game stats HERE (https://www.cfl.ca/players/chad-kelly/161801/) and his completion percentage and touchdowns are down since Labour Day. I think he certainly misses Phillips, but I'm not certain Chad and Kurleigh have ever been on quite the same page this season. I also noticed the following:

1) He did have some games earlier in the season with stat lines similar to post-Labour Day, but he definitely elevated his game against MTL (July), CGY (Aug) and OTT (Aug), which are the two games where the Argos struggled the most.

2) I'd be curious to see what the Argos run to pass ratio has been and whether the rush attempts have increased. I note that the Argos have attempted the fewest passes of any team in the CFL.

3) Javon Leake's returns and takeaways by the defence can also give a short field.

ArgoGabe22
10-08-2023, 10:29 AM
Before Gittens went down it seemed like him and Kelly were just getting in rhythm. Much more before the injury than at the start of the season.

Will
10-08-2023, 10:35 AM
When he went down, I believe Kurleigh was approaching the same amount of catches as Coxie or Phillips, but he was also getting some of the jet sweeps, which constitute a forward pass so it brought down his average.

ArgoRavi
10-08-2023, 03:48 PM
I've looked at Chad's game stats HERE (https://www.cfl.ca/players/chad-kelly/161801/) and his completion percentage and touchdowns are down since Labour Day. I think he certainly misses Phillips, but I'm not certain Chad and Kurleigh have ever been on quite the same page this season. I also noticed the following:

1) He did have some games earlier in the season with stat lines similar to post-Labour Day, but he definitely elevated his game against MTL (July), CGY (Aug) and OTT (Aug), which are the two games where the Argos struggled the most.

2) I'd be curious to see what the Argos run to pass ratio has been and whether the rush attempts have increased. I note that the Argos have attempted the fewest passes of any team in the CFL.

3) Javon Leake's returns and takeaways by the defence can also give a short field.

I was thinking about this more today. Remember when we used to have QBs throw for 6000 yards in this league? It's now unusual to see anyone throw for even 5000 yards now because the game has changed. Paul may correctly point out that there are fewer plays run today but I would also argue that the running game is emphasized more today than it has been since the 1970s.

Chad Kelly has been outstanding this season but the truth is that the Argos don't need him to throw for 400 or 500 yards per game (or even 300). They run the ball so damn well plus have good special teams plus a terrific defence. Unfortunately, all of that drags Kelly's stats down. I would also add that how many times this year has Kelly completed a pass to someone to get the Argos within three yards of the endzone? It happened three times the other night, I believe. On most of those occasions, the Argos run the ball in so Kelly doesn't get a passing TD to his credit.

One other note - in today's CFL, if your QB is throwing for 400+ yards in a game, it usually means that you are playing from behind and will probably lose the game.

AngeloV
10-08-2023, 05:08 PM

Wrong Rich. Just not a fan of whining.

AngeloV
10-08-2023, 05:09 PM
Same sh1t. Different day. Why even have a fan forum or bother posting anything? Guess this should be a forum dedicated to AV vs OV only.

Gabe, I've had an issue with you since you deleted my post for calling out someone that made a clear anti trans reference, yet you left his post up. Maybe it went a little over your head at the time.
And why bring OV into this. I have my disagreements with him, yes, but that's between us. He didn't comment on your whining.

ArgoZ
10-08-2023, 05:14 PM
I was thinking about this more today. Remember when we used to have QBs throw for 6000 yards in this league? It's now unusual to see anyone throw for even 5000 yards now because the game has changed.

One other note - in today's CFL, if your QB is throwing for 400+ yards in a game, it usually means that you are playing from behind and will probably lose the game.

Good observations. Remember, Kelly has very similar numbers to Doug Flutie’s time with the Argos, except only yards. Flutie had over 1000 more at this point. That is because the game is so different and the shorter fields we see today.

ArgoGabe22
10-08-2023, 06:33 PM
Gabe, I've had an issue with you since you deleted my post for calling out someone that made a clear anti trans reference, yet you left his post up. Maybe it went a little over your head at the time.
And why bring OV into this. I have my disagreements with him, yes, but that's between us. He didn't comment on your whining.

So calling me a whiner was always personal? You were allowed to voice your frustrations about being mislead about the blue/white game at Guelph (and rightfully so) but anyone you have an issue with can't "whine" about other things? You want to control the forum and decide what gets deleted, who gets banned, who is allowed to whine, who gets called names, then take my job as a mod. You've practically been doing this just minus the added powers. Like the Argos, this forum relies on its members to post and to hopefully lurk less. I just don't understand why you need to go after posters all the time and derail threads. I just won't post anymore, what is the point anymore?

ArgoGabe22
10-08-2023, 06:41 PM
Good observations. Remember, Kelly has very similar numbers to Doug Flutie’s time with the Argos, except only yards. Flutie had over 1000 more at this point. That is because the game is so different and the shorter fields we see today.

I bet on Kelly winning the passing title before the season and was looking good at one point, was 2 games behind Collaros and only 200 yards behind but with them just being so dominant, it'll never happen. No need for him to even play or go anywhere near 300 yards/game.

Will
10-08-2023, 07:31 PM
You also have Kelly and Dukes combining for 15/25 Argo rushing touchdowns, which indicates that yes, there's been a lot of short-yardage sneak TDs.

AngeloV
10-08-2023, 08:07 PM
So calling me a whiner was always personal? You were allowed to voice your frustrations about being mislead about the blue/white game at Guelph (and rightfully so) but anyone you have an issue with can't "whine" about other things? You want to control the forum and decide what gets deleted, who gets banned, who is allowed to whine, who gets called names, then take my job as a mod. You've practically been doing this just minus the added powers. Like the Argos, this forum relies on its members to post and to hopefully lurk less. I just don't understand why you need to go after posters all the time and derail threads. I just won't post anymore, what is the point anymore?

I had the one complaint about the Blue/White game. I even told Pinball about it that day. I have never asked Will to ban anyone from this site. I have no idea where you get that idea from. I don’t want anything deleted, and you still don’t get it. You totally don’t seem to comprehend that the post of mine that you deleted was an objection from me to that poster voicing his opioinions of hate towards transgenders. Or maybe you didn’t get his Bud light reference. That was hate speech. I may be a little aggressive in the way I responded, but a response to a hate speech in that way was justified.

But at the end of the day, I’ll make this a more enjoyable forum for you, and give myself a self imposed ban. I really don’t want to be posting anymore if I’m thought of as such a bad Apple.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8