PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Ottawa Redblacks @ Toronto Argonauts

Will
10-09-2023, 11:29 AM
I think if the Redblacks win today then they are still mathematically alive for a crossover to the West, so it is unknown if Saturday's game will mean anything.

ArgoRavi
10-09-2023, 11:48 AM
I think if the Redblacks win today then they are still mathematically alive for a crossover to the West, so it is unknown if Saturday's game will mean anything.

Additionally, the Redblacks need a Saskatchewan loss on Friday to still be alive on Saturday.

Will
10-09-2023, 11:55 AM
Additionally, the Redblacks need a Saskatchewan loss on Friday to still be alive on Saturday.

Yes, because even though the Redblacks could still finish 7-11, the Riders at worst would be 7-11 and the crossover gets eliminated at that point because the divisional team gets the playoff spot.

Waffle
10-10-2023, 06:50 PM
Injury report is out:
https://www.cfl.ca/2023/10/10/argos-injury-report-peters-misses-tues-practice/

“TORONTO — The Toronto Argonauts have shared their first injury report of the week ahead of their game on Saturday against the Ottawa REDBLACKS at BMO Field.
The Argos began their week without offensive lineman Dejon Allen (https://www.cfl.ca/players/dejon-allen/165039/) (leg), defensive backs Dashaun Amos (ankle), Jamal Peters (https://www.cfl.ca/players/jamal-peters/165258/) (groin) and Tigie Sankoh (https://www.cfl.ca/players/tigie-sankoh/166170/) (hamstring) and wide receiver Cam Phillips (https://www.cfl.ca/players/cam-phillips/165683/) (groin).
The REDBLACKS did not practice on Tuesday, after playing against the Montreal Alouettes on Thanksgiving Monday. They are back on the field on Wednesday”

Josh Hagerty, John Haggerty, and Jordan Williams were all listed as limited.
Brandon Barlow, Isiah Cage, Dewayne Hendrix, and Shane Richards were all listed as full participants.

Waffle
10-13-2023, 02:34 PM
The Canadian Press reported this morning (Friday) that Ouellette, Nicastro, Allen, and Jordan Williams won’t be playing for the Argos. Ouellette needs 41 yards to reach the 1,000 yard for the season mark.

Chad Kelly is apparently going to start, and Deonta McMahon will start.

ArgoRavi
10-13-2023, 05:08 PM
Dave Naylor on TSN reported yesterday that Dinwiddie told him that Kelly will play at least some in each of the remaining regular season games. He wants to have Kelly in a good rhythm heading into the playoffs.

Argo57
10-13-2023, 05:57 PM
Dave Naylor on TSN reported yesterday that Dinwiddie told him that Kelly will play at least some in each of the remaining regular season games. He wants to have Kelly in a good rhythm heading into the playoffs.

Probably a sound strategy, minimize the risk and keep Kelly sharp heading into the playoffs.

jerrym
10-14-2023, 07:28 PM
Here are the injury reports for both teams

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/10/10/argos-injury-report-peters-misses-tues-practice/

jerrym
10-14-2023, 07:30 PM
Below is the Argos depth chart:

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2016/06/Week-19-vs.-OTT-Ocotober-14-2023-PDF.pdf

jerrym
10-14-2023, 07:38 PM
Argos look like they haven't woke up yet as Ottawa marches downfield quickly for a TD.

jerrym
10-14-2023, 07:54 PM
Too bad Nield got tackled at the one preventing him from scoring his first TD of the season. He has had such a good season so far.

jerrym
10-14-2023, 08:03 PM
Argo DBs leaving Ottawa WRs wide open repeatedly and taking penalties (some unmerited) resulting in a second Ottawa TD.

jerrym
10-14-2023, 08:12 PM
Ottawa's return TD another sign that Argos' minds are not fully in this game as they get ready for the playoffs.

kellynjk
10-14-2023, 08:38 PM
Ottawa is putting up more of a fight than I expected. The Argos have taken some bad penalties - hope they get their heads more in the game in the second half!

kellynjk
10-14-2023, 08:55 PM
OMG - Nideld's second touchdown in this game doesn't count - feel bad for the guy!!

jerrym
10-14-2023, 08:56 PM
Nield robbed of another TD by a penalty. The guy only has one kind of luck - bad.

jerrym
10-14-2023, 08:57 PM
OMG - Nideld's second touchdown in this game doesn't count - feel bad for the guy!!

LOL. We both had the same thought.

kellynjk
10-14-2023, 09:00 PM
LOL. We both had the same thought.

Ha - I was sitting there going "OH COME ON" can only imagine what poor Nield is thinking "Like WTF do I have to do to get a touchdown that counts!!!!"

kellynjk
10-14-2023, 09:15 PM
Was surprised to hear Rod Smith say that Kurleigh Gittens Jr is out for the season - knew he was on the 6 game injured list, but didn't realize that he won't be available for the playoffs or potential Grey Cup match-up.

jerrym
10-14-2023, 09:18 PM
Finally the Argos take the lead on a Kelly to Daniels pass.

kellynjk
10-14-2023, 09:20 PM
Daniels has had an impressive night!

ArgoGabe22
10-14-2023, 09:38 PM
Was surprised to hear Rod Smith say that Kurleigh Gittens Jr is out for the season - knew he was on the 6 game injured list, but didn't realize that he won't be available for the playoffs or potential Grey Cup match-up.

Also, although not a shock Scianetti also said this was Henoc’s last season. I don’t think it was ever officially announced or mentioned anywhere. I could be wrong though.

Waffle
10-14-2023, 10:50 PM
Good defensive second half (8 sacks) led the way. It seemed like the defence couldn’t stop anything in the first quarter.

Overall there were 21 rushing attempts for 125 yards, but Kelly is credited with running 5 times for 45 yards. I think Adeboboye had the majority of the other rushes. So the rushing game was just okay without Ouellette.

I hope Kelly continues to remember that he has other receivers beside Daniels, but Daniels certainly had a good game.

Congrats to the Argos for not letting this game be one of those “trap” type games.

ArgoRavi
10-14-2023, 10:55 PM

It's possible that is true or it's possible that Rod had incorrect info.

ArgoRavi
10-14-2023, 10:56 PM
Also, although not a shock Scianetti also said this was Henoc’s last season. I don’t think it was ever officially announced or mentioned anywhere. I could be wrong though.

That interview was interesting. I got the distinct impression that we won't be seeing Muamba on the playing field again.

ArgoRavi
10-14-2023, 10:57 PM
Good defensive second half (8 sacks) led the way. It seemed like the defence couldn’t stop anything in the first quarter.

Overall there were 21 rushing attempts for 125 yards, but Kelly is credited with running 5 times for 45 yards. I think Adeboboye had the majority of the other rushes. So the rushing game was just okay without Ouellette.

I hope Kelly continues to remember that he has other receivers beside Daniels, but Daniels certainly had a good game.

Congrats to the Argos for not letting this game be one of those “trap” type games.

I wasn't terribly worried about the defence's performance in the first half because I knew that the coaches would make the necessary adjustments in the second half and that is exactly what happened.

Stevoman
10-15-2023, 01:43 AM
A much more interesting game than anticipated and a nice test for the Argos. After coming out flat in the 1st half it was impressive to see them turn it on in the second! Now, stop coming out flat!

Will
10-15-2023, 10:34 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some notes about last night&#39;s <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a> win over Ottawa. The defence came up with NINE sacks last night to tie a team record for most in a game, set in 1984 in Ottawa. They now have 63 sacks, breaking the Argo record of 61, set in 1988. (CFL has kept sack stats since 1980). 1/8</p>&mdash; y - Mike Hogan (@MikeHoganArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeHoganArgos/status/1713557078210400417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoZ
10-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Finally the Argos take the lead on a Kelly to Daniels pass.

What a pass that was! Deep post corner, over two defenders (Ahem, Daniels behind coverage). Not too many CFL QBs can make that throw. Can any? Maybe Bo Levi in his prime.

ArgoRavi
10-15-2023, 11:18 AM
A much more interesting game than anticipated and a nice test for the Argos. After coming out flat in the 1st half it was impressive to see them turn it on in the second! Now, stop coming out flat!

The Argos have started strong in most games this season. A slow start on defence last night isn't the usual but has happened twice against Ottawa and once against Calgary (all at home) before adjustments were made and they shut the opposition down.

Will
10-15-2023, 12:33 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tough stat to see...<br><br>Comparing team records:<a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TorontoArgos</a> 14-2 this season<a href="https://twitter.com/REDBLACKS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@REDBLACKS</a> 14-53 last 4 seasons</p>&mdash; Jon Perlberg (@jonperlberg) <a href="https://twitter.com/jonperlberg/status/1713377240077967799?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argo57
10-15-2023, 12:49 PM
What a pass that was! Deep post corner, over two defenders (Ahem, Daniels behind coverage). Not too many CFL QBs can make that throw. Can any? Maybe Bo Levi in his prime.

Ricky Ray.

Argo57
10-15-2023, 01:26 PM
Great time down at BMO Field last night.
Argos pretty basic on D in the first half, dialed up the pressure big time in the second half.
Kelly made some very impressive throws and mixed in his runs very nicely.
Amateur hour officiating crew, looked unsure of their calls and baffling RTP penalty against the Argos amongst other bad calls.

ArgoGabe22
10-15-2023, 01:39 PM
Going back to TSN for a sec, I wouldn't mind having Farhan Lalji be the permanent host of the panel. Not a fan of Kate Bierness' over the top forcefulness and humour..

Will
10-15-2023, 01:48 PM
Going back to TSN for a sec, I wouldn't mind having Farhan Lalji be the permanent host of the panel. Not a fan of Kate Bierness' over the top forcefulness and humour..

But, then it'd a BC Lion love-in.

kellynjk
10-15-2023, 02:18 PM

Agree Ricky Ray and Doug Flutie!

kellynjk
10-15-2023, 02:19 PM
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiO ltdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2ZvbGxvd2VyX2NvdW5 0X3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51b Gx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI 6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc 2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ 0ZndfZm9zbnJfc29mdF9pbnRlcnZlbnRpb25zX2VuYWJsZWQiO nsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X21 peGVkX21lZGlhXzE1ODk3Ijp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRyZWF0bWVud CIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29 va2llX2V4cGlyYXRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2Z XJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3Nob3dfYmlyZHdhdGNoX3Bpdm9 0c19lbmFibGVkIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6b nVsbH0sInRmd19kdXBsaWNhdGVfc2NyaWJlc190b19zZXR0aW5 ncyI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0Z ndfdXNlX3Byb2ZpbGVfaW1hZ2Vfc2hhcGVfZW5hYmxlZCI6eyJ idWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdmlkZ W9faGxzX2R5bmFtaWNfbWFuaWZlc3RzXzE1MDgyIjp7ImJ1Y2t ldCI6InRydWVfYml0cmF0ZSIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0Z ndfbGVnYWN5X3RpbWVsaW5lX3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnR ydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9mc m9udGVuZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx 9fQ%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1713377240077967799&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com%2Fshowthread. php%3F7156-Game-Thread-Ottawa-Redblacks-Toronto-Argonauts%26p%3D170731%26posted%3D1&sessionId=db96c169ff154e2b814810b0a7c2047cf1e2d7d6&theme=light&widgetsVersion=01917f4d1d4cb%3A1696883169554&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1713377240077967799" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 321px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

YIKES - knew their record was bad, but not that bad!!!<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.d37472b4a6622d0b1fff46ad904f6896.htm l?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium;"></iframe>

gilthethrill
10-15-2023, 03:23 PM

Scianetti had a “Sideline Interview “ with Muamba last night. Didn’t ask about how he got hurt or rehab etc. Just Softball questions.

ArgoZ
10-15-2023, 04:17 PM
Ricky Ray.

Definitely, however I was talking current QB’s. To take it further, I don’t think there is another QB that could do it at any consistent basis. Kelly makes it look easy.

TrueBlueGuy
10-15-2023, 10:12 PM
And Ricky Ray was also a master at that drop-in-the-bread-basket end zone toss.

TrueBlueGuy
10-15-2023, 10:16 PM
Shout-out to all of us who were at BMO last night. For a n-meaning game, against a last-place team, and going head-to-head with the Leafs, I was pleased with the 13K+ turnout. We were loud and we were proud. Way to go Argos, and way to go fans of the Double Blue.

ArgoRavi
10-16-2023, 12:09 AM
Scianetti had a “Sideline Interview “ with Muamba last night. Didn’t ask about how he got hurt or rehab etc. Just Softball questions.

Yeah, I was disappointed in that. I felt like I had to read between the lines with that interview and my sense is that we have seen Muamba on the field for the last time.

Rich
10-17-2023, 12:58 AM
Definitely, however I was talking current QB’s. To take it further, I don’t think there is another QB that could do it at any consistent basis. Kelly makes it look easy.

That TD pass was spectacular, but I think he was more consistent with the long ball earlier this year than he is now. Not complaining, obviously, just an observation.

paulwoods13
10-17-2023, 10:11 AM
That TD pass was spectacular, but I think he was more consistent with the long ball earlier this year than he is now. Not complaining, obviously, just an observation.

I agree, Rich. He hadn't seemed like himself in recent games, but this one showed real signs his mojo is coming back. Some more reps in these next two games should get him back to 100%.

ArgoGabe22
10-17-2023, 11:30 AM

I wonder if in fact the NFL would ever be or is/was seriously interested in him. He’s better than some NFL QBs right now. And if a team was, would the Argos grant him that opportunity. When re-signing was there ever a verbal agreement to ever grant him his release.

"Issues"Mcgee
10-17-2023, 11:36 AM
I agree, Rich. He hadn't seemed like himself in recent games, but this one showed real signs his mojo is coming back. Some more reps in these next two games should get him back to 100%.

I'm all for giving Kelly more reps, but I am not worried about his performance as of late. Even when he hasn't been himself, he still makes those big late game plays. I believe he is one of those players that performs better when there is more on the line. We will see Kelly at his best when the East Final starts.

"Issues"Mcgee
10-17-2023, 11:40 AM
i wonder if in fact the nfl would ever be or is/was seriously interested in him. He’s better than some nfl qbs right now. And if a team was, would the argos grant him that opportunity. When re-signing was there ever a verbal agreement to ever grant him his release.

shhhhh!

ArgoRavi
10-17-2023, 12:22 PM
I wonder if in fact the NFL would ever be or is/was seriously interested in him. He’s better than some NFL QBs right now. And if a team was, would the Argos grant him that opportunity. When re-signing was there ever a verbal agreement to ever grant him his release.

Like any other CFL player, he is able to take advantage of the window in the winter months to sign in the NFL. However, the Nathan Rourke situation should be the cautionary tale for QBs like Kelly. The NFL doesn't really value what a QB does in the CFL that much. Further, NFL teams, like the Jaguars, want a #2 QB who can be a sounding board to the starting QB and won't be a QB who the fans are constantly calling for to replace the starter. Chad Kelly simply wouldn't fit that bill as he wants to play. He is also going to be 30 years-old soon which is too old to be a #3/practice roster guy like Rourke. Kelly can make more guaranteed money in Toronto than he can going the Nathan Rourke route.

I agree that Kelly is better than many NFL QBs, but there is a lot of politics down there and, given the reasons mentioned above, I see little chance that he won't be fulfilling his new contract in Toronto.

As an aside, it's hard not to notice that scoring seems quite low in the NFL so far this season.

paulwoods13
10-17-2023, 03:10 PM

Argos would definitely give him the opportunity; in fact, I believe they'd be obligated to do so under the NFL window set out in the agreement with the CFLPA. Toronto was very smart in how it negotiated his contract extension -- he is due a big signing bonus early in the new year, but only if he's still an Argonaut after the window closes. So if given an NFL opportunity, he would have to weigh what's being offered down there with what he'd be leaving on the table here.

kellynjk
10-17-2023, 03:39 PM

I have also noticed that Kelly hasn't looked as good or accurate late in the season as he did earlier. Apparently Dinwiddie was thinking the same thing, because in the interviews before the game against Ottawa, they said that Dinwiddie had thought that his offence wasn't looking as sharp as it should, so it was one of the reasons he was going to have Kelly play for at least part of the remaining games. I think it's the right move as I think reps will not only increase Kelly's confidence, but also help the whole offence to be alittle sharper as they progress to the playoffs etc.

Rich
10-17-2023, 05:14 PM
Like any other CFL player, he is able to take advantage of the window in the winter months to sign in the NFL. However, the Nathan Rourke situation should be the cautionary tale for QBs like Kelly. The NFL doesn't really value what a QB does in the CFL that much. Further, NFL teams, like the Jaguars, want a #2 QB who can be a sounding board to the starting QB and won't be a QB who the fans are constantly calling for to replace the starter. Chad Kelly simply wouldn't fit that bill as he wants to play. He is also going to be 30 years-old soon which is too old to be a #3/practice roster guy like Rourke. Kelly can make more guaranteed money in Toronto than he can going the Nathan Rourke route.

I agree that Kelly is better than many NFL QBs, but there is a lot of politics down there and, given the reasons mentioned above, I see little chance that he won't be fulfilling his new contract in Toronto.

As an aside, it's hard not to notice that scoring seems quite low in the NFL so far this season.

I agree with all of this, and would only add that his slightly diminished play of late makes any NFL interest that much less likely.

RB957
10-17-2023, 06:32 PM
Shout-out to all of us who were at BMO last night. For a n-meaning game, against a last-place team, and going head-to-head with the Leafs, I was pleased with the 13K+ turnout. We were loud and we were proud. Way to go Argos, and way to go fans of the Double Blue.

Agree with this 100%. I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout, given all the circumstances you mention. I think the fact the Argos were honouring our vets may have something to do with it.

And the crowd was very lively. Contrast this to the comments already coming out regarding Leafs home games and how dead the atmosphere can be.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8