PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen TV ratings for week 1?

KCargosfan
07-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Couldn't find any myself. I know argotom has usually been on top of this in the past.

R.J
07-03-2012, 10:18 PM
I should find out either tomorrow or Thursday.

KCargosfan
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
I should find out either tomorrow or Thursday.

Nice. Do you have an inside media source, haha.

argotom
07-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I am waiting as well guys.
Just checked my sources and still nothing.

R.J
07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Sask @ Ham - 806,000
Winnipeg @ BC - 851,000
Tor @ Edm - 605,000
Cal @ MTL - 519,000

ArgoRavi
07-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Sask @ Ham - 806,000
Winnipeg @ BC - 851,000
Tor @ Edm - 605,000
Cal @ MTL - 519,000

So that averages out to just under 700K on TSN alone. The RDS figure is probably at least another 200k for the Montreal game.

Mulder
07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Sask @ Ham - 806,000
Winnipeg @ BC - 851,000
Tor @ Edm - 605,000
Cal @ MTL - 519,000

Should we make a thread dedicated to this years T.V. Ratings? We can sticky it. etc.

I tried to do one last year, but when we missed a few weeks I just got rid of it.

tc23
07-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Awesome numbers !!! Blows the Blue Jays out of the water !! Is there a link ??

argotom
07-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Here is the link.
Looks like it's 2-2 us versus the dark side, the Blue Jays.

http://tvfeedsmyfamily.blogspot.ca/

R.J
07-04-2012, 04:39 PM
So that averages out to just under 700K on TSN alone. The RDS figure is probably at least another 200k for the Montreal game.
Not to mention the fact that the Ham/Sask Game and WPG/BC were also on RDS2.
Most people tend to forget that the majority of CFL games are not nation wide and this year will be the first that we see none MTL games on RDS/RDS2.
Last season MTL games were only averaging little over 76K.

R.J
07-04-2012, 10:02 PM
MTL-CGY, July 1, RDS: 233, 000

Nothing yet on the RDS2 games.

Treblecharger1
07-04-2012, 11:25 PM
What a strong start! I really like the Sunday Night game and hope it will be apart of the next TV package. I think you will see some huge ratings for Sask and Edmonton this Sunday night!

R.J
07-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Awesome numbers !!! Blows the Blue Jays out of the water !! Is there a link ??
Blue Jays/baseball ratings are close.

TOR-BOS, June 25, SN: 717, 000
NYY-CLE, June 25 SN One 663, 000
LA-SF, June 25, SN W/P: 296, 000
TOR-BOS, June 26, SN: 731, 000
TOR-BOS, June 27, SN: 234, 000
ANA-TOR, June 28, SN: 629, 000
ANA-TOR, June 29, SN: 744, 000
ANA-TOR, June 30, SN: 714, 000
ANA-TOR, July 1, SN: 855, 000

Invader
07-05-2012, 12:18 AM
MTL-CGY, July 1, RDS: 233, 000

Wow, that's up over 300% from last year's average!

I wonder what the source is of those Blue Jay ratings? Their ratings are often filtered through favourable media outlets from Rogers news releases. If these ratings are true, the BJ are the most popular baseball team on the planet by a long shot. We could assume these are the actual BBM Canada numbers (or does Rogers own they too?)

ArgoRavi
07-05-2012, 01:06 AM
What a strong start! I really like the Sunday Night game and hope it will be apart of the next TV package. I think you will see some huge ratings for Sask and Edmonton this Sunday night!

The few Sunday night games that the league has had over the years have done well in the TV ratings IIRC. They can't really go to Sunday nights in the fall because TSN has to cover the NFL then and those games likely would not draw as well in the stands but a regular Sunday night game in the summer months does not seem like a bad idea at all to me. There are three Sunday night games this summer - the one we just had on July 1st, this Sunday's game in Regina and a game on August 19th between the Riders and Lions in Vancouver. Having late Sunday afternoon games in western cities which become prime time games in the east can work especially well IMO.

argotom
07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
The few Sunday night games that the league has had over the years have done well in the TV ratings IIRC. They can't really go to Sunday nights in the fall because TSN has to cover the NFL then and those games likely would not draw as well in the stands but a regular Sunday night game in the summer months does not seem like a bad idea at all to me. There are three Sunday night games this summer - the one we just had on July 1st, this Sunday's game in Regina and a game on August 19th between the Riders and Lions in Vancouver. Having late Sunday afternoon games in western cities which become prime time games in the east can work especially well IMO.

I disagree Ravi, the CFL up against the NFL on any given Sunday is a TV numbers mismatch.
It's a good idea so I say bring on the Sunday night game and if there is a conflict with the NFL on TSN, surely they can move the No Funners to TSN2

paulwoods13
07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I disagree Ravi, the CFL up against the NFL on any given Sunday is a TV numbers mismatch.
It's a good idea so I say bring on the Sunday night game and if there is a conflict with the NFL on TSN, surely they can move the No Funners to TSN2

But there are individuals who watch both leagues if they are on at separate times. Putting them head to head would reduce overall ratings, which would not be good for business.

I certainly would have no objection to making Sunday Night Football a fixture through the summer, though. Could schedule Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun most weeks, with doubleheaders on occasion to avoid Thursdays. (This presumes Argos can in future avoid Mon-Tue-Wed dates, which is not the case this year.) On bye weeks with just two games, Fri-Sun or Fri-Sat.

AngeloV
07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I'd love to see the league go away from Thursdays and stick to Friday-Saturday-Sunday with a doubleheader on one of those days. Unfortunately, we all know the lack of control tha Argos have over their dates, so I can't see that happening anytime soon.

marcwagz
07-05-2012, 11:32 AM
how the hell do the jays go from averaging 350,000 last year to over 700,000?
that makes no sense especially since the team is trash...

R.J
07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Blue Jays were averaging over 500K last year.

paulwoods13
07-05-2012, 01:39 PM

I'm not really a fan, and certainly not an apologist, but the team is not "trash." It has a major star in Bautista and a number of attractive prospects/talents like Lawrie, Rasmus and Escobar. And they smartly redesigned their unis with a retro feel this year. Like it or not, they are starting to build up a fanbase among younger adults who seem to have decide the Jays are cool again. One more challenge for the Argos to contend with.

marcwagz
07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm not really a fan, and certainly not an apologist, but the team is not "trash." It has a major star in Bautista and a number of attractive prospects/talents like Lawrie, Rasmus and Escobar. And they smartly redesigned their unis with a retro feel this year. Like it or not, they are starting to build up a fanbase among younger adults who seem to have decide the Jays are cool again. One more challenge for the Argos to contend with.

the jays will never be any better than a 500 team with a star, meaning bautista will eventually want to leave, so they will have to trade him.
They are struggling along now with all these injuries, their 'star' pitcher romero is faltering...
they really aren't very good at all.
The argos have 100 times the chance to win the grey cup compared to the jays ever making the playoffs

argotom
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Don't you know it's Paul Godfrey counting again as he did with the bogus announced attendance numbers for many years.
For every ticket sold, it was claimed there were 3 bums in the seat.
Same deal here.

Will
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Proof, argotom?
Given your rabid hatred for anything not CFL it's only fair.

R.J
07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Proof, argotom?
It would be extremely hard to find proof, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds it odd that the Blue Jays are getting bigger regular season average ratings than the Yankees are in the States.
Mulder and I discussed this previously, while I have no idea how Rogers could fudge these numbers, something really doesn't look right.

Will
07-05-2012, 05:04 PM
It would be extremely hard to find proof, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds it odd that the Blue Jays are getting bigger regular season average ratings than the Yankees are in the States.
Mulder and I discussed this previously, while I have no idea how Rogers could fudge these numbers, something really doesn't look right.

We're talking about butts in the seats though, not TV ratings.

R.J
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Sorry thought you were discussing how both numbers (stadium and tv) were being fudged.

argotom
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM

It's a well known fact how for years and even now the BJ attendance numbers are misleading.
In fact, MLB dictates how the actual "sold" count is announced and not the bums in the seats.
Meanwhile back in TO, it's also a well known fact how during the Godfrey years the announced numbers were a joke.
A good friend of mine knew someone in the ticket office and this was confirmed how many nights even last year, mere thousands being single digit were at the game when the figure announced was triple that.
As for the tickets sold, that's another issue.
Some are freebies, 2 for one and Roger emplyee discounts and or freebies.
Why else was the team losing around $30M+ per year for the first 5 years and I am told it was close to this amount even last year.

argonaut11xx
07-05-2012, 06:11 PM
I dont pretend to have a clue about how these numbers are submitted but i`ll say this...

1) Paul Godfrey is so full of crap, you need to follow him around with a wheelbarrow, and shovel
2) I personally noticed more of a buzz around baseball, and the bluejays this spring, just saying, and my own interest has increased (although im a die hard Tigers fan)
3) If any team or league is going to get SLAGGED its the CFL, and especially the Argonauts.

Im sure someone in the CFL hating hierarchy had enough of watching the CFL ratings be amazing, week after week, year after year, and watching the MLB, NBA, MLS, not able to keep up.

paulwoods13
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
the jays will never be any better than a 500 team with a star, meaning bautista will eventually want to leave, so they will have to trade him.
They are struggling along now with all these injuries, their 'star' pitcher romero is faltering...
they really aren't very good at all.
The argos have 100 times the chance to win the grey cup compared to the jays ever making the playoffs

I don't care whether or not they are good enough to make the playoffs. I stand by my belief that they are rising in popularity and it's something the Argos will have to contend with. Calling them "trash" implies they are not a threat in the marketplace. I disagree.

argonaut11xx
07-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't care whether or not they are good enough to make the playoffs. I stand by my belief that they are rising in popularity and it's something the Argos will have to contend with. Calling them "trash" implies they are not a threat in the marketplace. I disagree.

Im onside with paulwoods13...i think the bluejays are having a minor resurgence, double the numbers? better than the yankee's? no way...but on the upswing for sure....
With that said, i think the bluejays are closer to being "the Expo's" than ever winning another world series...

my BET is this...the Blue Jays will never win another world series as the Toronto Blue Jays...maybe in some other city..but not here.

everything in life is cyclical...and when our currency drops (and it will)...watch out...same thing all over again...
(remember the Expo's, Jets, Grizzleys, Nordiques, et all) only this time it could be the Blue Jays and who knows who else

Fungi
07-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I have blue under wear and it smells
I have green under wear and it rots
I love red underwear and it composts.
I love all these things, yet I detest them....
I love all things but all things detest me.
I feel good
Fungi

Midnight Blue
07-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Looks like it's 2-2 us versus the dark side, the Blue Jays.

George Carlin said it best....

Football vs. Baseball :

Link :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfhbEUkg7o

PS --- Nice poetry, Fungi ... keep at it....

Cheers !

Fungi
07-06-2012, 12:18 AM
You're an inspiration. Sometimes, theres nothing like a piece of prose, if you know what I mean. That high scool stuff is still in there.
This is a new era, and positive waves should be coming from all 4 corners of this country, if not the province, if not the GTRD, If not from every double, double sold in ontario,if not From Perry Sound perhaps...from Peterborogh..the future home of 1argoholic(may the deer flies be respectful...give him at least a day)
I love the Argos. Every year...except for that tennis playing guy that Area 51 got right.
I think all posters should post a poem.
Thanks Midnight.

1argoholic
07-06-2012, 12:34 AM
On Saturday the Stamps will Lose
and The Argos will win
I'll be crackin one beer then another again
I'll have a little vodka to change it up a bit
I'm hoping the Stamps play like shit
My wife might talk to me after the game
But during it she'll think I'm insane.
I cheered for the Stamps against the Als
But this week they'll look like gals.

Never great at this art form but what the hell. haha.

Fungi
07-06-2012, 12:42 AM
C'mon Ravi, argocister,AV, even PW13( who used to be a grumpy old man).Midnightblue would be proud. What the heck.

Midnight Blue
07-06-2012, 12:48 AM
You're an inspiration. Sometimes, theres nothing like a piece of prose, if you know what I mean. That high scool stuff is still in there.
This is a new era, and positive waves should be coming from all 4 corners of this country, if not the province, if not the GTRD, If not from every double, double sold in ontario,if not From Perry Sound perhaps...from Peterborogh..the future home of 1argoholic(may the deer flies be respectful...give him at least a day)
I love the Argos. Every year...except for that tennis playing guy that Area 51 got right.
I think all posters should post a poem.
Thanks Midnight.

Thanks, Fungi !

But the Peterborough area is not infused with Dear Flies ( I spelt it Der Flies, the first time, one minute ago); I've on and off there (20 minutes east of Peterborough, Marmora area), drank and snorted whiskey and whiskey for over twenty years. Seriously, there's an occasional Deer fly, but it's seriously, minor. Can't even fit into your drink.

Cheers !

On Saturday the Stamps will Lose
and The Argos will win
I'll be crackin one beer then another again
I'll have a little vodka to change it up a bit
I'm hoping the Stamps play like shit
My wife might talk to me after the game
But during it she'll think I'm insane.
I cheered for the Stamps against the Als
But this week they'll look like gals.

Never great at this art form but what the hell. haha.

Poetry, is actually a nice diversion for a Squirrel; keeps them from crushing their nuts.

Ok, one more to inspire the masses, and the rest of us, who aspire, to say things, which possibly make us seem cooler, than we actually are (except on weekends):

Dreamy drizzle ,

Drown Her sigh

Splash of bubbly ,

Down Her thigh .

Diamond pearlets

Drip Her chest ;

Wine is fine .

But 'pagne is best .

Midnight

Fungi
07-06-2012, 01:20 AM
A drop, a drop, a drop
It's life, no matter where...
Could be the prairies , or the mountains , or even the woods
could be Hamilton, yes it could
Could be a drop in a language, not quite understood,
Comme ci comme ca
no
Its a language we all understand...
Its beer
don't let it , disappear

Midnight Blue
07-06-2012, 01:33 AM
A drop, a drop, a drop
It's life, no matter where...
Could be the prairies , or the mountains , or even the woods
could be Hamilton, yes it could
Could be a drop in a language, not quite understood,
Comme ci comme ca
no
Its a language we all understand...
Its beer
don't let it , disappear

I follow your comment of beer; it is all, I aim, to disappear.

At first with a chug, then a delirious hug

I can't make reality clear.

Midnight

Fungi
07-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Damn, the Argowithin ...
beer...
what swallows....
fly
fly
more beer again

Midnight Blue
07-06-2012, 02:24 AM
One of the coolest things, about this planet, is that while we may have some Deer Flies, we don't have any serious Beer Flies. Or maybe that's just Canada. In any case, I Luv it !

Seriously, I don't mind flies and skitters and wee beasties messin' with me, as long as they don't mess wit my beer. Easy to understand. Luckily they do. What a great fuckin' Country.

Slainte !

argotom
07-06-2012, 12:15 PM
On the lighter side of life, what are you guys talking about here, back on track?

1argoholic
07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
HAHAHA, No shit? I can't keep up with that.

Gill The Thrill
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Im onside with paulwoods13...i think the bluejays are having a minor resurgence, double the numbers? better than the yankee's? no way...but on the upswing for sure....
With that said, i think the bluejays are closer to being "the Expo's" than ever winning another world series...

my BET is this...the Blue Jays will never win another world series as the Toronto Blue Jays...maybe in some other city..but not here.

everything in life is cyclical...and when our currency drops (and it will)...watch out...same thing all over again...
(remember the Expo's, Jets, Grizzleys, Nordiques, et all) only this time it could be the Blue Jays and who knows who else

The Blue Jays have a steady fan base. I've gone down to a few games this year and notice that the Weekend games on Saturday and Sunday are steady between 35-42,000. I've been to two, if not 3 of their best attended games this year...home opener, a Sunday afternoon game vs the Mets and a weekend game vs the Phillies....very good crowds.

I have to confess, I got hyped up by this good offensive team in February and bought a flex pack in the 500 level because I thought it was good value, even if I don't intend on going to all 15 games. I've sold some tickets and let me tell you the Jays are not the Leafs in terms of selling tickets quickly even at $30 for a pair on premium weekend games (still better than box office), but unfortunately they still do get more interest than the Argos...which is why I don't have Argo seasons?....I'd lose my shirt if I can't go to all the games.

Baseball still has an advantage in that there 81 home games....in the states you could get upper level tickets for under $10 to watch MLB. In the CFL, most teams close their upper decks if they have them, because they want their fans to pay more to attend which is understandable, since there are less home games. CFL owners would rather have 20k in attendance paying an average of $40 a seat, than 30k paying an avg of $25 a seat because it brings in more gate revenue and you don't have to pay as many people working the concessions and ushering....The Argos have been playing that game for years, which is why they've continually raised prices even though demand for tickets is nowhere near exceeding the supply of seats at the dome...and it's understandable as you don't want to undervalue your product but can rub some fans, especially casual fans off from just checking out the product.

I'm a big CFL fan, have been for over 30 years but week 1 games border on almost being unwatchable, especially in June. I caught Simon's record, but that Hamilton game and the Argo Eskie game were mistake-riddled....As a matter of fact, former Argo Grant Shaw was the most consistent performer at Commonwealth last Saturday, which is a coincidence, since he was awful there last season kicking for the double blue...was that not the game when he kept punting under 20 yards but still had Barker's confidence in going for a 57 yarder..sheesh, thank God Barker is nowhere near the sidelines this season.:) Kidding about Shaw being the most consistent, I know Owens had a 100 yds in receiving but that drop in the end zone was painful. He's got to catch those. Mental errors like that can erase all the good you've done throughout the game.

argolio
07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I think all posters should post a poem.Here is a terrible and seasonably inappropriate poem by the great Ronnie Mund:

WINTER

Winter is when there are no leaves on the trees.

Winter is when we say goodbye to the birds and the bees.

Winter is when we get an extra hour of z's.

Winter is when a red-suited man brings us all lots of glee.

Winter is when the snow falls and we yell "Happy New Year!"

Winter is when you turn that special girl or guy's heart bright red with love and cheer until that time again next year.

Winter goes away, and the birds and the bees and the leaves on the trees and the extra hour of z's all go back to where they should be.

AngeloV
07-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Here is a terrible and seasonably inappropriate poem by the great Ronnie Mund:

WINTER

Winter is when you turn that special girl or guy's heart bright red with love and cheer until that time again next year.

Winter goes away, and the birds and the bees and the leaves on the trees and the extra hour of z's all go back to where they should be.

Argolio, You really need to stop hanging around Rick's Cabaret. ;)

KCargosfan
07-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Here is a terrible and seasonably inappropriate poem by the great Ronnie Mund:

WINTER

That might be the worst poem I've ever read.

ArgoRavi
07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Argolio, You really need to stop hanging around Rick's Cabaret. ;)

Sounds like he has attended too many block parties as well. ;)

Baseball still has an advantage in that there 81 home games....in the states you could get upper level tickets for under $10 to watch MLB. In the CFL, most teams close their upper decks if they have them, because they want their fans to pay more to attend which is understandable, since there are less home games. CFL owners would rather have 20k in attendance paying an average of $40 a seat, than 30k paying an avg of $25 a seat because it brings in more gate revenue and you don't have to pay as many people working the concessions and ushering....The Argos have been playing that game for years, which is why they've continually raised prices even though demand for tickets is nowhere near exceeding the supply of seats at the dome...and it's understandable as you don't want to undervalue your product but can rub some fans, especially casual fans off from just checking out the product.

The B.C. Lions have a nicely refurbished stadium but are not drawing as well as they should be because they have overpriced many of their upper level seats. I remember David Braley saying that he was hopeful that the Lions would average 35k to 40k in a refurbished B.C. Place but they drew less than 30k for their regular season home opener last week and I doubt that they will average much more than that over the course of the season (though I hope that I am proven wrong). In their case, they have kept the entire stadium open but have overpriced a significant number of seats thus turning off the casual fans. On top of that, Wally Buono doesn't want the texpayer-funded retractable roof kept open for Lions games because he believes that they have a bigger home-field advantage with the roof closed. So what was the point of putting in an expensive retractable roof, Wally?

Gill The Thrill
07-07-2012, 01:15 AM
The B.C. Lions have a nicely refurbished stadium but are not drawing as well as they should be because they have overpriced many of their upper level seats. I remember David Braley saying that he was hopeful that the Lions would average 35k to 40k in a refurbished B.C. Place but they drew less than 30k for their regular season home opener last week and I doubt that they will average much more than that over the course of the season (though I hope that I am proven wrong). In their case, they have kept the entire stadium open but have overpriced a significant number of seats thus turning off the casual fans. On top of that, Wally Buono doesn't want the texpayer-funded retractable roof kept open for Lions games because he believes that they have a bigger home-field advantage with the roof closed. So what was the point of putting in an expensive retractable roof, Wally?

Not surprised hearing that the Leo's have overpriced thier upper deck, but it also looks so bad when most of your fans are sitting in the cheaper sections and there more full while leaving the lower bowl empty.

The roof is open at BC Place tonight and it has not hurt the Lions at all. The brightness of the sun during the 1st quarter reminds me of watching games from Rogers Centre...I'm obviously not use to seeing that from games at BC Place. The configuration of the roof also reminded me of the big O. I believe the Big O's retractable was supposed to work in a similar fashion without the overhang scoreboard.

It's good to be talking about CFL football again, I just don't want to get caught spending hours on here.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8